PDA

View Full Version : My Rogers Cup Experience UPDATED Day 1,2,3 (Pages 1 and 2)

Caillou
Aug 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Okay, so I went to the men's tournament last year, so I finally got to see the women this year. I was kinda afraid after seeing how the men played and then seeing the women. Well I was NOT disappointed. The women are great too! They are such clean ball strikers, can sustain long rallies with pace and are very athletic. They look so much more like athletes in person that on t.v. For example, agnieska radwanksa can actually hit the ball with pace and marion bartoli is soooo fit!! All the players were very nice too, I got 25+ autographs and severeal pictures of players/with me and players!:) I was really impressed with Vika and Caro. They are suchhh nice people and great players too! They hit the ball so cleanly and strike it hard too! At several points in their practises they were outrallying their male opponents:worship: I got a picture with both of them and their signatures. Also, something maybe not all of you know, the players are really friendly with eachother. They were hitting together, saying Hi to eachother and even joking with eachother. Few different notes:

Kuzzie is a freaking practise whore. Man she was for sure out there the longest, and hit with amelia twice, and carla.
Michelle larcher de brito played horrific, I only forced myself to watch about 2 games from her:o baddd stuff.
A really exciting match was sania mirza vs. pelletier! It was packed on the grandstand court. Surprisingly there were quite a few people rooting for sania, as was I. I yelled out "c'mon" whenever she won a point. That was an exciting and good quality match from what I saw, so only the third set.
I felt so bad for this girl named meng. Some might not know her but she lost to serena at the AO. She was on a practise court with 3 people watching, and those people asked her who she was:tape: I said out loud, I KNOW YOU! To hopefully maker her feel better. She also practised with her coach, who I'm sure is her mom. That was kinda sad also, because she could not hit a good ball at all:sad: All these other players have their fancy coaches and hitting partners, and she has her mom...but good for her:D She was hitting fairly well from what I saw.
Oh, I have a FUNNY STORY! Ok, so after practise, Alize Cornet, signed my book and took a picture with me. But there as this guy there alone who wanted his photo taken, so I said sure, no problem. I rushed to empty my hands and held down the button and looked up and saw Cornet laughing..So I'm like okayyy:confused: What is she laughing at? Then I looked back at the screen and realized I pressed the power button instead of the button to take the picture. Everyone started laughing and I was like "Oh sweet, that wasn't embarrassing..." But anyways I finally managed to operate a digital camera properly and took a pic for him.

I can't think of anything else for now, except for the fact that neither williams was there, and I WANT TO SEE THEM TOMORROW OR AT LEAST AT SOME POINT! Quali days are awesome to meet players! I will make more posts as I remember things and post some pictures I took.

Привет
Aug 16th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Sounds like fun, hope you enjoy the rest of your time at the tournament. :wavey:

Caillou
Aug 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Sounds like fun, hope you enjoy the rest of your time at the tournament. :wavey:

Thank you, very much!!:)

P_Fer
Aug 16th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Sounds great! Hopefully I'll be able to go at some point tomorrow

Aryman3
Aug 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Good literature.
How am I to believe someone who insist that "Agnieszka Radwańska can actually hit the ball with pace".
You lost all credibility with this statement

Dani12
Aug 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I agree. Women's tennis is dramatically different to what you expect when you watch it live. In fact the better matches I saw at the Australian Open this year were from the women's side, althought I didn't see Nadal v. Verdasco..that was insanely good.

Whilst its probaby silly to say, Agneiszka does hit the ball harder then you expect. Even though it isn't as hard as other girls, who just pound it...it still exceeds your expectations.

The TV does tennis no justice, being at a match live makes a world of difference.

powerbackhand
Aug 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
why is this thread moved??

hugo2004
Aug 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Do you have photos of Michelle Larcher de Brito?

Caillou
Aug 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Good literature.
How am I to believe someone who insist that "Agnieszka Radwańska can actually hit the ball with pace".
You lost all credibility with this statement

Perhaps you can refrain from posting a sarcastic remark concerning my point of view. On T.V and from what other people said it made me think she barely hit the ball. She has nice clean strokes and hits with decent pace and accuracy.

Caillou
Aug 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Do you have photos of Michelle Larcher de Brito?

I have on and its not very good. Unfortunately she wasn't playing well so I didn't bother to get close. Sorry!

améliemomo
Aug 16th, 2009, 02:21 PM
nice report thanks for sharing it with us:kiss::wavey:

you said you saw amelie,sveta and alize. How did they hit the ball? amelie especially?and alize?who was practising with who?

thanks and I wish a very nice tournament;)

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for sharing! :D:bounce:

V-MAC
Aug 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Nice report:) I hope you get to see Vee too. That would be awesome.

The Witch-king
Aug 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I love these stories. Seeing players in person seems to always be different.

Ferg
Aug 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the reports! Its nice to know that the players dont act tooo professional and are friendly towards each other. Are you going to be going every day?

AJZ.
Aug 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I wanna see photos of you and players!!

Caillou
Aug 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM
nice report thanks for sharing it with us:kiss::wavey:

you said you saw amelie,sveta and alize. How did they hit the ball? amelie especially?and alize?who was practising with who?

thanks and I wish a very nice tournament;)

Amelie and Sveta practised together in one day on two seperate occasions. They are extremely friendly with eachother. Both amazing strikers of the ball, it was a pretty even match. Amelie should be doing better based on her hitting in practise. So, for her, I think it's mostly mental. Alize was very nice, and she hit the ball just as well. Very crisp and accurate. I forget who she practised with to be honest.

Caillou
Aug 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks for sharing! :D:bounce:

No problem! Thanks for reading!

Caillou
Aug 17th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Nice report:) I hope you get to see Vee too. That would be awesome.

OMG that would be amazinggg. There is a good chance I will tomorrow. Stay tuned, I will update my further adventures...

I love these stories. Seeing players in person seems to always be different.

It truly is and I have more stories, just need time to type them out.

Thanks for the reports! Its nice to know that the players dont act tooo professional and are friendly towards each other. Are you going to be going every day?

Your welcome, thanks for reading. They definately don't at all. The coaches all know eachother and the players, they talk, laugh make jokes. It's like they are co-workers in an office. Yet, obviously there is still some professionalism towards the tennis aspect. I'm going tomorrow and friday maybe another day..haven't decided

Caillou
Aug 17th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I wanna see photos of you and players!!

I will tomrrow, I need to sleep now! In due times tho! I got a pick with clijsters!! ;)

Arthus
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Great reports, thanks a lot!

saul1333
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Can't wait to hear about your experiences and see your pics.

Thanks for the reports so far.

Daszmarelli
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
nice report. :yeah:

Ferg
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Did you see Marion? ;)

iGOAT
Aug 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the reports and have fun :D:) if you can take any pics of Ági it would be appreciated!

Caillou
Aug 18th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Day 2:

Since this actually happened yesterday, I'm not going to remember everything. I started off by watching some practises and a couple matches. There was an exhibition match type thing open to everyone who was there, featuring a battle of celebrities. The pros that took part were kuznetsova and clijsters. I can't remember the "famous" people but one was jason spezza, who was actually quite good at tennis. They did a target test drill in 30 seconds and also played a game where there is an even number of players on each side and you sustain a rally by everyone forming a line and hitting one ball, then moving to the back of the line. If you missed, the other team gained the point. Clijsters won the target drill and ended up winning the rally competition as well. I waited by the stadium exit after for her, and she came over to me, so I got super excited. That was until she signed like autographs and left me hanging, I was crushed...

HOWEVER, right after that she went to the practise courts and hit for an hour and a half. After, I waited and called her over. She approached me, signed me and my friends book, and also took a picture with us!! I also got a picture with kirilenko, Hantuchova, kuznetsova, stosur and more that I forget right now...

I also managed to watch the Niculescu vs Dulko match. I was rooting for gisela, but unfortunately she couldn't pull through. She got a bad call in the last game which frustrated her a bit I'm sure. There were annoying and I mean annoying fans in front of us, yelling "Go monica" every three aeeconds. At this match was umpire KADER NOUNI! The guy with the awesome voice, lol. My friends and I managed to get a picture with him, very friendly man indeed!

That's it for that day I think...

Caillou
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Day 3: The day destined to meet the williams? find out!

Okay so this report is for Monday, Day 3. I woke up at 630 am to drive my mom to work, in order to use her car. I didn't have my normal group of friends to go with and really didn't feel like spending the day by myself, and driving 45 minutes there and back. So when I got home from dropping my mom off, I woke my sister up and forced her to come with me! She obliged and I immediately rushed her because I was told the day before that the williams are practising from 8 to 10 am. However, the gates open at 10 am, so there was no point in leaving too early. We ended up leaving at 845 am and arrived at the gates at 935am to see that people were already inside. THEY LET PEOPLE IN EARLY! We rushed to find a parking spot (which ended up being its own story) and I ran to the practise courts to see the williams. Well, to my huge surprise, THEY WERE THERE! On the two far courts were serena with her hitting partner (sasha) and venus with hers (david). I quickly took several photos and then realized that they were cooling down. I didn't even get to see them hit a single ball. Ouch. But I finally saw them in person, so I guess that's sufficient!! After getting over finally seeing the williams in person, I went to the stadium court and watched the Dubois match. She played terribly and got crushed 1 and 2, but it was cool watching from inside the stadium.

After that, I walked to the grandstand court and watched the conclusion of the azarenka/vera z doubles match. I was cheering for them, but they lost in a 10 point tie break :( After lunch, I watched the Sam Stosur vs El Tabakh. In my opinion, El Tabakh has quite the potential and was playing really well out there. She wore the serena dress from the FO and hit a very good ball. Seems to be a good all around player, therefore, it made for a fun watch! Glad stosur won tho, she was very nice to me when I got a picture and autograph. It's funny, on a side note, one of the few people I didn't get was the Canadian Wozniak, she didn't give it to me, and acted bratty. I was kind of shocked with that, but I'm just like, whatever, it's not like I wanted it badly.

Here's where it gets interesting...My sister and I decided we needed to cool down, as it was quite steamy outside, so we went into a sheltered area for eating where there were fans to cool off. While we were sitting there, she says "OMG, isn't that venus". I jerk my head so quickly I nearlybroke my neck, and to my excitement, it indeed was. I darted over to her with a pen and picture to get signed. Sadly, but the time I got there, she had gone inside the VIP building to do media work. Guess who followed just behind venus. Jankovic, elena D, SERENA! and Sveta. I said hey to serena but didn't have time to get a pic or anything signed. However, I was about 2 feet away from her and saw her almost face to face. I asked the person guarding the door, where all the stars entered, what they were doing and what I needed to grant me access. I needed a VIP pass and the players were doing their all access interviews and other media work. Well, I HAD to get in, I would make sure of that...

So I walked around and saw another door. It was to the same building and when I got closer a couple came out, so I held the door and walked in after the passed. I quickly looked around to make sure no one was checking for passes and lucky for me (not really and you will find out why) I could walk right in. My sister was still attending to our bags, so I ran out and went to get her. She came back into the building with me and we searched for where the players went to. When we found them, there were mostly hidden and protected by big buff body guards who we certainly gonna pass, so all I could do was wait. Finally, Venus came out first, but I wasn't ready and I'm like Venus can I take a photo, but as I was rushing to get my camera, she smiled and said "Sorry, no". And she rushed off. Well, sadly, she was the only person to exit out the front out of everyone else. The rest of the players, including serena, used a back door where no one could reach them. So, somewhat upset, I decided to use as much of the VIP access as possible and watched some practises from a less crowded and more comfortable VIP location. It was time to leave, so we exited the VIP building when I saw them setting up the stage. I wanted to make sure that it was not a williams, so I asked the person assisting with setup. He said it wouldn't be Serena for sure, as she just did a autograph signing in the wilson booth, and just left. MY HEART SANK. I could not believe what I just heard. Instead of seeing serena and getting a picture with her, I was using the VIP lounge I snuck into. Talk about karma. Man, I was sooo angry at myself that I missed out on that opportunity.

Ultimately, I had to leave within the hour, so I just took off, and I continue to pray that I will see her live on quarter final night. All I can do is hope, but all and all it was a good day. I forgot to mention, I saw elena D walking by herself and no one recognized her. I chased her down asked her to sign my book and she complied. She was very friendly as you may have expected. Well did I ever draw a crowd ahaha..people saw me get her autograph and they rushed over to her. Kinda felt bad, but, I'm sure it made her feel good at the same time. That's all for now, I hope to get the many pictures up at some point and will write another report around the quarters! Thanks to those of you for the good reps and compliments and actually taking the time to read my somewhat rambling of a report.

Buitenzorg
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Sam :) go Aussie ;) we are very nice people you know ;)

AJZ.
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:23 AM
a photo with kim omg :eek:
Ai always gives a nice photo (she always smiles :))
As for your Day 3 experience, it's too bad you couldn't get a photo taken with either of the W sisters :hug: But still, you had a nice day :) I would've asked Elena for a photo if there was no one around :lol: But that does happen, when I got one with Safin it caused a bit of an uproar because people were like "OMG That's someone known!!!!" haha. But you did the right thing, you might not get that chance again to get her autograph so easily :) She sounds like such a sweet lady :kiss: You know she speaks French? (my random bit of Elena D knowledge)
But wow, that's amazing how many photos you've gotten :eek: Good on you ;):)

Caillou
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
a photo with kim omg :eek:
Ai always gives a nice photo (she always smiles :))
As for your Day 3 experience, it's too bad you couldn't get a photo taken with either of the W sisters :hug: But still, you had a nice day :) I would've asked Elena for a photo if there was no one around :lol: But that does happen, when I got one with Safin it caused a bit of an uproar because people were like "OMG That's someone known!!!!" haha. But you did the right thing, you might not get that chance again to get her autograph so easily :) She sounds like such a sweet lady :kiss: You know she speaks French? (my random bit of Elena D knowledge)
But wow, that's amazing how many photos you've gotten :eek: Good on you ;):)

Yea! Kim was great. I know, I wanted a picture with the williams so badly. I would have with elena, but my sister fell back too far and she was crowded shortly after I got the autograph. I have easily 100? A bit too many I think. About 15-20 with the players? Might take a while to upload them tho

AJZ.
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Awesome :) When there's no one around that I know (I often end up alone because I run everywhere :lol:) I ask strangers to take the photo, in fact mostly strangers have taken my photos haha.
If I'm too lazy to ask someone, or no one looks nice, or the players are in a hurry, I take the photos on my own, like such:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1081/meandmark.jpg
(this is a very useful technique to learn, is it not? :lol:)

But that's really cool for you!! You got a lot of photos in only three days ;p I perhaps got 20 players in the seven days I spent at the tournament this year. :)

Caillou
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Awesome :) When there's no one around that I know (I often end up alone because I run everywhere :lol:) I ask strangers to take the photo, in fact mostly strangers have taken my photos haha.
If I'm too lazy to ask someone, or no one looks nice, or the players are in a hurry, I take the photos on my own, like such:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1081/meandmark.jpg
(this is a very useful technique to learn, is it not? :lol:)

But that's really cool for you!! You got a lot of photos in only three days ;p I perhaps got 20 players in the seven days I spent at the tournament this year. :)

Yes, that is a skill I for sure need to learn. I did that with hantuchova and got lucky it turned out. Well she looked better than me, but its daniela so that's expected ;) I hope to get more pictures if possible, but I am satisfied with the ones so far. It was loads of fun.:bounce:

VishaalMaria
Aug 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Post the pictures! :D