PDA

View Full Version : TLC's 4th Album - Preview and News!

Williams Rulez
Sep 15th, 2002, 08:10 AM
http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/t/TLC/sq-in-black-wi.jpg

Three girls with three different personalities, giving three dimensions to the group, all coming at you on wax. That's the way Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes perceived herself and friends Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas, and that's how she conceived the title of TLC's fourth album, 3D.

On Friday (September 13), Arista Records previewed tracks from the LP, which is due on November 12. Completing the album, which was unfinished when Left Eye was killed in April (see "Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes Killed In Car Accident"), was an emotional task for T-Boz and Chilli.

"We promised to deliver the album, but it was a little bit of lip service, because we didn't know what we were going to do," said Arista head honcho L.A. Reid, who said that Left Eye will appear on five out of the 12 to 14 cuts that will make 3D.

One song dedicated to Left Eye, "Turntable," serves as an inspirational life lesson on wax. Produced by Rodney Jerkins, the song tells people to persevere with the cards that life deals them. "Don't ask yourself why," Chilli advises while backed by guitars and martial drums. "Just point to the sky."

On the other hand, the title track, produced by Dallas Austin, is all about bringing the noise. The bombastic, booty-shaking drum and bass on the song are reminiscent of Outkast's "Bombs Over Baghdad."

Austin also produced the uptempo "Quickie," which will be the first single. The track playfully broaches being disappointed by a man who can't hit a home run in the bedroom because of lack of stroke in his bat.

Left Eye starts the song off by telling everyone that she and girls are about to give a lesson on "Left pimping." "I'm T-Boz and I got it like that," her groupmate says as the song starts to flow. "Left Eye's dope/ She got it like that/ Chilli's fly/ She got it like that."

From there, T-Boz sings about getting turned on by a guy who speaks proudly of his prowess over the phone, only to later be frustrated by his lack of stamina. "No, n-n-n-no he didn't," a scandalized Left Eye says before she takes guys to task for needing some "ginseng for the ping-ping" and raps about being "that imperial bitch."

The female locker room verbiage is amped up further on "Girl Talk," produced by Edmund "Eddie Hustle" Clement. The trio warn that it's a new day and when guys make that connection with a girl, they better work it or their lovers will spread the word on who's half-stepping. Left Eye exhorts that guys have to earn their pass, while her singing cohorts disclose, "Girls talk about the booty too."

"I just want to have good times in your arms tonight/ If you feel my body/ It will free your mind," they sing on the sexed-down midtempo track "In My Arms Tonight." The Neptunes pull out the piano, drums, strings and synthesizers and mix in the old-school sensual feel of Michael Jackson and Prince on the song, which also features Chilli painting the scenario of a dream evening: "Let's ride tonight and forget what we've ever known/ No promises and nothing is set in stone." (Oddly enough, the Organized Noize camp uses a bevy of futuristic, Neptunes-sounding blings on "Give It to Me While It's HOT.")

"Hands Up," which T-Boz co-wrote about a real-life situation, goes back to chastising guys. The Babyface & Darryl Simmons-produced ditty centers on time: Boz's man, who is having too good of a time, is in the wrong place at the wrong time. After telling T-Boz that he would be attending his Tuesday card game, he decides to hit the club. Unbeknownst to him, Boz and her girls have hit the same hotspot on the same night.

"You had your hands up in the air/ Hoochies everywhere, all on you," she laments. "It's like I almost don't know you/ Tryin' to shake your ass, playa/ You don't even dance/ What's up with you?"

A dirty dog is also the center of disdain on "So So Dumb," where the girls convey disgust for a dude who tries to cheat on his girlfriend with one of her friends.

Missy Elliott and Timbaland both were at the helm of the control boards for "Dirty." The cut, which features the duo's bass-layered jungle rhythms, also serves as a way of honoring the spunky Lopes.

"TLC is forever," T-Boz and Chilli insist. "When you come up in here, get your back up off the wall. Left Eye would want us to break it down like this." Missy comes in toward the end of the party, telling everyone, "Left Eye gets a moment of silence."

spyro
Sep 15th, 2002, 09:18 AM
i'm waiting for the latest TLC's album.

Benny
Sep 15th, 2002, 12:08 PM
I can't wait!:bounce:

We luv ya Left eye!

shirley
Sep 15th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Can't wait :bounce:

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:18 PM
do you guys think i can find the songs online now? yes, i know that's a bad thing... but i just can't wait for it to come out in november... :sad:

left eye.... :sad: :sad: :sad:
i cried so much when chili and t-boz were at the VMAs.....

Nimi
Sep 15th, 2002, 08:31 PM
TLC are pretty much my all-time fave band. Im heartbroken, but im glad that they can still continue their careers

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 15th, 2002, 10:08 PM
I*m listening to them now... the best songs from their 1st, 2nd and 3rd cd... :sad:

Nimi
Sep 15th, 2002, 11:01 PM
CrazySexyCool is by far the best one-band CD i have ever heard.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 15th, 2002, 11:03 PM
i agree nimi! :D

Nimi
Sep 15th, 2002, 11:05 PM
I still hear "Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes" in my Winamp "elite" list. "Kick your game" was my fave song for weeks. Also "Waterfalls", thats a classic. & i like some of the intros :)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 15th, 2002, 11:08 PM
i love Creep, diggin on you, waterfalls... *sigh* :)

Nimi
Sep 15th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Oh ya, Digging on you :) How could i forget that? Red Light Speciel was nice & catchy, but it wasnt a classic in my opinion.

RYNJ
Sep 15th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Unpretty is a very good song too

Williams Rulez
Sep 16th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Yeah, I love Unpretty and Waterfalls, Digging on You was great too...

Marri, you can hear the first single from the new album on Netscape on 28th September... about 2 weeks from now... :p

RYNJ
Sep 16th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Unpretty is the song I listen to when I look in the mirror and I dont like what I see....

Williams Rulez
Sep 16th, 2002, 05:28 AM
You look pretty good... don't see the need for you to listen to that song... :p

spyro
Sep 16th, 2002, 07:02 AM
I Like No Scrubs especially at the RAP part...cooolll

Williams Rulez
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Hehe... I like Chilli's vocals in that song... really great... she is usually doing the backgrounds, so that was refreshing! :D

I think my all time favourites still has to be Waterfalls... the song that did it all for TLC... :)

Wonder how Arista will promote this album, hopefully it will be better than in the past. But I read that they won't be promoting the album outside of the US... :fiery:

Did you know they chose a flop from Fanmail? They chose "Silly Ho" and it barely made the top 50 of the Billboards, luckily they released "No Scrubs" shortly after which did great, or Fanmail would have been a failure... :D

Monica_Rules
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Fanmail was great i can't wait for the nest one:D

Williams Rulez
Sep 16th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Left Eye's Second LP In October

http://www.mtvasia.com/news/International/Items/0209/images/20020906114321graphics

Suge Knight, who recently signed a distribution deal with Koch Records, plans to release the long-talked-about second Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes solo album on Tha Row in October, according to a spokesperson for the storied exec.
Left Eye's first solo venture, "Supernova," was released overseas by Arista Records last year and streamed on her Web site, www.eyenetics.com, as it was not released in America. Frustrated, Left Eye aligned herself with Suge at the top of this year and was recording an album for Tha Row under the moniker N.I.N.A. shortly before her death in April.

No details on the N.I.N.A. project have been released as of yet, and Knight was unavailable for comment.

Left Eye will also be heard on the new LP by her group, TLC. Arista Records has set a November 12 release date for that album.

Aside from Lopes' posthumous release, Knight is also planning to put out the debut from Cali wordsmith Crooked I. His song "So Damn Hood," which features Sisqo, has garnered some play on radio and underground mixtapes. A new, different single from Crooked I is on the way soon, reps for Tha Row said.

Nimi
Sep 16th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Thanx for that :)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:27 PM
hehe, thanks williams_rules! i'll be waiting for the song! :p

Daniel... awww, you really don't need to listen to Unpretty when youre looking in the mirror:kiss:

They didn't promote Fanmail too well in Europe.... :( :mad: so i'm worried about this 4th cd.... but atleast the student paper announced that the cd will come in november! ;)

Williams Rulez
Sep 17th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Yeah... Arista is not doing much promotion outside the US... and it sucks cause TLC is a great international bad... :(

Well, they mentioned it in your student paper? That's really cool... :D

Hoon
Sep 17th, 2002, 09:05 AM
What a great news. Can't wait till it's released! Thanks for the news W_R.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 17th, 2002, 04:55 PM
ok.. this may be a really nasty Q... but have you guys seen the pics of Lisa's dead body... i've heard that they're all over the net.. i haven't tried to find them-- i just wonder.... :sad: :sad: hope this didn't offend you guys---- :sad:

Williams Rulez
Sep 18th, 2002, 09:21 AM
No... I didn't look for them... I can't bear to look at them... :sad: