PDA

View Full Version : Wild Cards

letshavefun3
Aug 9th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Any predictions for who will receive a WC besides Kim C? How many will be given out in total?

Some1
Aug 9th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Probably :

- Clijsters
- Dubois
- Tetreault
- Fichman

Canada usually give wild-cards to Canucks who are part of Fed Cup/Davis Cup ;)

iGOAT
Aug 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
They only get three ;) I would say Clijsters, Dubois, and Tetreault.

Clijsters we know, Dubois is a good Canuck, and Tetreault is having a very good year.

Petkorazzi
Aug 9th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I'd say Tetrault too. Fichman doesn't have anything to offer top 100 players.

HOS
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I reckon a harder desion than prev years but:

- Clijsters
- Dubois
- Fichman
- Tetreault or Marino

QC WC's then:

1. either Val or Becky-who ever missses out on MD WC
2. Heidi El T
3. MEP
4?

juki
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I believe Eugenie Bouchard has a QWC...

Freakan
Aug 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Rogers Cup without Pelletier wasting a WC another year in a row won't be the same :sad:

Petkorazzi
Aug 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Rogers Cup without Pelletier wasting a WC another year in a row won't be the same :sad:
:crying2: The win over Li was epic though!

SVK
Aug 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I think Fichman, Pelletier and Dubois (+ Clijsters)

Some1
Aug 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
If it's only 3 wild-cards than the choises are obvious ^^.

WC : Kim Clijsters
WC : Stéphanie Dubois
WC : Valérie Tetreault

Last year they gace 10 QWC so if it's the same this year...

QWC : Sharon Fichman
QWC : Rebecca Marino
QWC : Heidi El Tabakh
QWC : Eugénie Bouchard
QWC : Marie-Ève Pelletier
QWC : Gabriela Dabrowski
QWC : Katarena Paliivets
QWC : Melanie Gloria
QWC : Marianne Jodoin
QWC : American girl

But how many QWC ?

tennisbuddy12
Aug 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM
They had so many wildcards bc you cant play a top event if your over 500 in the world and there were so many byes and they gave "wildcards" to those players....there were still byes :lol:

Meelis
Aug 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
But how many QWC ?

6, but tournament can give out additional wild-cards, if there is not enough players.

This year only top-375 ranked players can enter premier events without a wild-card.

Some1
Aug 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Eugénie confirmed she'll play Rogers Cup qualies ;)

letshavefun3
Aug 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
so looks like there are 4 main draw WCs, one is for Kim C, but three more remaining. In the Entry List thread, someone posted a document that showed the allocation.

USTennisfan
Aug 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
The correct amount is 5 Main Draw Wild Cards, and 6 Qualifying Wild Cards. This is a Premier Event, so only players ranked 375 or better (3 weeks ago at Qualifying entry deadline)are on the entry list. Any one higher must be given a Wild Card to play. Last year had more because of a conflict with the Olympics, and Vancouver ITF, so they were able to give out a few more since so many players were committed elsewhere. I do not think that will happen this year.

Freakan
Aug 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM
:crying2: The win over Li was epic though!

Almost as epic as Dubois' great win over Clijsters! :hearts:

iGOAT
Aug 11th, 2009, 02:40 AM
The correct amount is 5 Main Draw Wild Cards, and 6 Qualifying Wild Cards. This is a Premier Event, so only players ranked 375 or better (3 weeks ago at Qualifying entry deadline)are on the entry list. Any one higher must be given a Wild Card to play. Last year had more because of a conflict with the Olympics, and Vancouver ITF, so they were able to give out a few more since so many players were committed elsewhere. I do not think that will happen this year.
Two of the five wildcards are for top ten players only, so the tournament gets three.

maxomax
Aug 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM
http://www.couperogers.com/women/english/currentNews.php?id=WildcardsInHighDemand

Karl Hale- Tennis Canada
Wildcards in High Demand

Hey there everyone!

We are five days away from the start of Rogers Cup Toronto and the topic on everyone’s mind seems to be wildcards. No, they have not been finalized yet but you can expect an announcement in the coming days.

What seems to be crazy though is how many requests I’ve been getting from players who are seeking a spot. I’ve had about 30 phone calls asking me if there are any available and I think it just goes to show how popular our tournament has become with the WTA Tour players. However, my response to everyone is that we lean towards using these spots to help out our young Canadians who need to gain more experience. We only get one opportunity a year to showcase these young women on such a large stage and we are not going to just give that away. For the most part, if we do give one to a non-Canadian it either goes to an up-and-comer or to a veteran coming back from injury or a long layoff. That is why we offered one to Kim Clijsters this year. She is such a popular player here in Canada so it was a no-brainer on our end to have the chance to welcome her back to Toronto.

As for who will actually receive the other ones, it is really up in the air. There are so many Canadian women who have jumped up the rankings this year and deserve a shot at the main draw. Stephanie Dubois is an easy one as she is our second highest ranked female singles player, but now there are girls like Sharon Fichman, Valerie Tetreault, Rebecca Marino and Heidi El Tabakh nipping at her heels. Throw in promising juniors like Eugenie Bouchard and respected vets like Marie-Eve Pelletier and we have quite the decision on our hands. We have three more wildcards to give out in the main draw and six in the qualifying draw and we will find out shortly who the lucky players are.

On a different note, I want to share a pretty amazing story involving a Top 5 player on Tour. I was at the 50th birthday party of one of Tennis Canada’s biggest supporters, Mike Tevlin, and I asked him who he is looking forward to seeing at this year’s Rogers Cup (though I already knew the answer). His response was Elena Dementieva as she is by far and away his favourite player and he absolutely just adores her. As he was singing her praises, my phone rang; it was Elena calling to wish Mike a happy birthday. Needless to say, Mike was shocked and thrilled (and a bit red) but went on to have a five minute chat with her. I think it may have been the best birthday he’s ever had. I was so happy to help make that happen for him because he’s such a great guy who possesses a genuine love for the game.

Anyways, that’s the entire scoop for now. The players are going to start showing up in the coming days and all the action starts on Saturday. I can’t wait. I’ll be checking in on a daily basis starting Friday so I’ll be sure to keep everyone up to speed on what’s happening.

Cheers,

Karl

maxomax
Aug 11th, 2009, 06:28 AM
It is obvious that the players in his article will have a WC (main draw or qualy!) So 2 others Canadians will have a QWC, maybe pallivets and gloria...

iGOAT
Aug 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.couperogers.com/women/english/currentNews.php?id=WildcardsInHighDemand

Karl Hale- Tennis Canada
Wildcards in High Demand

Hey there everyone!

We are five days away from the start of Rogers Cup Toronto and the topic on everyone’s mind seems to be wildcards. No, they have not been finalized yet but you can expect an announcement in the coming days.

What seems to be crazy though is how many requests I’ve been getting from players who are seeking a spot. I’ve had about 30 phone calls asking me if there are any available and I think it just goes to show how popular our tournament has become with the WTA Tour players. However, my response to everyone is that we lean towards using these spots to help out our young Canadians who need to gain more experience. We only get one opportunity a year to showcase these young women on such a large stage and we are not going to just give that away. For the most part, if we do give one to a non-Canadian it either goes to an up-and-comer or to a veteran coming back from injury or a long layoff. That is why we offered one to Kim Clijsters this year. She is such a popular player here in Canada so it was a no-brainer on our end to have the chance to welcome her back to Toronto.

As for who will actually receive the other ones, it is really up in the air. There are so many Canadian women who have jumped up the rankings this year and deserve a shot at the main draw. Stephanie Dubois is an easy one as she is our second highest ranked female singles player, but now there are girls like Sharon Fichman, Valerie Tetreault, Rebecca Marino and Heidi El Tabakh nipping at her heels. Throw in promising juniors like Eugenie Bouchard and respected vets like Marie-Eve Pelletier and we have quite the decision on our hands. We have three more wildcards to give out in the main draw and six in the qualifying draw and we will find out shortly who the lucky players are.

On a different note, I want to share a pretty amazing story involving a Top 5 player on Tour. I was at the 50th birthday party of one of Tennis Canada’s biggest supporters, Mike Tevlin, and I asked him who he is looking forward to seeing at this year’s Rogers Cup (though I already knew the answer). His response was Elena Dementieva as she is by far and away his favourite player and he absolutely just adores her. As he was singing her praises, my phone rang; it was Elena calling to wish Mike a happy birthday. Needless to say, Mike was shocked and thrilled (and a bit red) but went on to have a five minute chat with her. I think it may have been the best birthday he’s ever had. I was so happy to help make that happen for him because he’s such a great guy who possesses a genuine love for the game.

Anyways, that’s the entire scoop for now. The players are going to start showing up in the coming days and all the action starts on Saturday. I can’t wait. I’ll be checking in on a daily basis starting Friday so I’ll be sure to keep everyone up to speed on what’s happening.

Cheers,

Karl
He says there are four wildcards too :unsure: there couldn't be though, because Cincinnati and Rome are the same size and they both got three.

maxomax
Aug 12th, 2009, 11:03 PM
MD WC:
Clijsters
Dubois
Tétreault

QWC:
Bouchard
Marino
El Tabakh
Fichman
Cecil
Winner of prequalification (Pelletier, Moljnar, Gloria and Dabrowski are playing this tournament!)

http://www.rogerscup.com/women/english/currentNews.php?id=TorontoWildcards09

ROGERS CUP TORONTO WILDCARDS ANNOUNCED
Canadians Dubois and Tetreault join former No. 1 Kim Clijsters in main draw

Tennis Canada announced Wednesday the three wild card entries into the ladies singles main draw of Rogers Cup scheduled for August 15-23 at Rexall Centre in Toronto. Belgian Kim Clijsters, along with Canadians Stephanie Dubois and Valerie Tetreault will be among the 56 players competing in the third-oldest tournament behind only Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. Additionally, qualifying wild cards and pre-qualifying entries have been determined.

“We are excited to add Kim, Stephanie and Valerie to the main draw of Rogers Cup,” said tournament director Karl Hale. “They will add excitement and high-level tennis to one of the best player fields in the world. Canadians have shown they belong on the world tennis stage.”

Clijsters, the 2005 Rogers Cup champion, has returned to tennis after a two-year absence following marriage and the birth of her first child. Clijsters was ranked No. 1 for 19 weeks on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and is one of only five women to hold the top spot for both singles and doubles simultaneously. Her first Tour match after retirement was a 6-4, 6-3 victory over world No. 13 Marion Bartoli in the first round at Cincinnati on Monday.

“So many things have changed. I got married, had a daughter, and that’s something that has a big impact on my life. It will change me as a player as well,” said Clijsters. “I’ve been practicing for seven months and I’m looking forward to my second career.

Dubois, 22, will be making her eighth appearance at Rogers Cup, having reached the third round twice, including in 2008 when she knocked off No. 13 seed Maria Kirilenko of Russia. Dubois, from Laval, Quebec, recently defeated former Top 30 player Sania Mirza in three sets to claim the 2009 Odlum Brown Vancouver Open. The second-ranked Canadian is currently listed at No. 104 on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.

Tetreault, 21, has enjoyed a solid start to her professional career. The native of Saint- Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec has claimed three ITF events this year including Grapevine and El Paso in Texas, along with Carson, California. Ranked No. 162 on Tour, Tetreault is making her sixth appearance at Rogers Cup, having competed in the past five qualifying draws.

Wildcards were also decided for the Rogers Cup qualifying tournament that takes place August 15-16 at Rexall Centre. The 48-player event will determine the remaining 12 places into the tournament main draw. Athletes granted qualifying wildcards include: Eugenie Bouchard (Westmount, Quebec), Mallory Cecil* (Spartanburg, South Carolina), Heidi El Tabakh (Burlington, Ontario), Sharon Fichman (Toronto) and Rebecca Marino (Vancouver). *Note: Cecil was granted a wildcard based on a trade between Tennis Canada and IMG.

In addition to the five qualifying wildcards, one player from the pre-qualifying tournament will earn an entry into the weekend qualifying event. Marie-Eve Pelletier (Repentigny, Quebec), Gabriela Dabrowski (Ottawa), Melanie Gloria (Montreal) and Sonja Molnar (Guelph, Ontario) will compete in a single-elimination tournament for the lone spot.

The official draw for Rogers Cup will take place atop the CN Tower with Hale and tennis star Maria Sharapova on Friday, August 14 at 6:15 p.m.

iGOAT
Aug 13th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Okay cool just what I though :D congrats to all three of them :yeah:.

Drake1980
Aug 13th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Heidi and Rebecca! :D
Cecil! :shrug:

TS
Aug 13th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Almost as epic as Dubois' great win over Clijsters! :hearts:

Who can forget those tears of joy. LOL.

Thankfully no WC on Pelletier this year. How many have they wasted on her over the years?!

I didn't realise Tetreault was in the top 200...wow.

Randy H
Aug 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
This has to be one of the toughest years for picking the wildcards, with Tetreault, Fichman, Marino, and El Tabakh all making terrific strides this season. I think they made the right choice though, with Tetreault having won bigger titles, and doing so on hardcourt. Being from Quebec when the tournament in held in Montreal this year doesn't hurt either.

Qualifying choices are good too, although I'm not entirely sure why they'd put Sonja Molnar there for pre-qualies, or honestly, even Melanie Gloria...I really feel like this should be an opportunity for players who are intent on playing professionally to compete and see where they are at. Molnar and Gloria have already chosen the NCAA path...Give those two spots to younger players like Marianne Jodoin (runner up at the under 18 nationals), and Katarena Paliivets.

rileyman
Aug 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Yep, Tetrault is definitely the right choice. She won two 50K Challengers, and another 25K. The closest behind is Fichman, who won a couple of 25K's and made it to the main draw in a few International events recently.

Next year is going to be interesting, if Tetrault, Fichman, Marino, and El Tabakh all continue to improve... And some of the younger players like Bouchard, Dabrowski, Paliivets, and so forth.

I think we could see three Canadian players in the top 100 in 2010. (In my ideal world, there would be six in the top 100 ;) )

d_s
Aug 13th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Article by Stephanie Myles from Open Court blog about why Katarena Paliivets didn't get a wildcard

http://communities.canada.com/montrealgazette/blogs/opencourt/archive/2009/08/13/katarena-paliivets-stripped-of-rogers-cup-wild-card.aspx

According to her mother, Anna, Canada's top female junior, Katarena Paliivets of Concord, Ont. has been stripped of her wild card into the qualifying at the Rogers Cup women's event this weekend.

Mrs. Paliivets said the original wild-card given was downgraded to a spot in the pre-qualifying last week (which is a bunch of Canadian kids playing off for a spot in the qualifying) after an apparent incident at the home of the family with whom she was staying in Vancouver for the women's Challenger event there last week.

A few days ago, even that opportunity was taken away because, the Paliivets were told, their daughter was "being rude by refusing to eat fish at the dinner after the match." Her host family complained.

"We don't agree with (the Tennis Canada) decisions , we think that some subjective opinion or dislike some of the host family should not be erasing all the result and achievement and (affect) her tennis career so dramatically," Mrs. Paliivets wrote in an e-mail.

"She did not break any Tennis Canada rules of conduct We would like public to know about this incident specially when Tennis Canada trying to keep it confidential for hte reasons unknown to us."

Seems like a weird situation to me.

Randy H
Aug 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Wow that's very strange...So she didn't eat fish? Maybe she doesn't like it :rolleyes: I hate fish, I wouldn't eat it either :p

Anyway, I thought it was very strange that she would be excluded from the pre-qualifying, and I also agree that one host family complaining about an individual incident should not affect her chance to play in Canada's biggest professional tennis event. :(

Slutiana
Aug 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Um... WTF? :help:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Article by Stephanie Myles from Open Court blog about why Katarena Paliivets didn't get a wildcard

http://communities.canada.com/montrealgazette/blogs/opencourt/archive/2009/08/13/katarena-paliivets-stripped-of-rogers-cup-wild-card.aspx

Seems like a weird situation to me.

Maybe there is more to the story that isn't currently being made public:confused:. It just seems very steep for someone not eating fish :p

Freakan
Aug 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
That fish smells like Damir Dokic to me :o

d_s
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:52 AM
There is more that is added to that article about Paliivets

The parents of Katarena Paliivets, Canada’s top-ranked female junior tennis player, have a major beef with Tennis Canada.

A difference of opinion between zealous parents and a national federation isn’t stop-the-presses news – except that Tennis Canada has stripped the 17-year-old of a wild card into the pre-qualifying for next week’s women’s Rogers Cup in Toronto.

Oleg and Anna Paliivets were incensed enough to write e-mails to the media, accusing the federation of trying to sweep the incident under the rug, and unfairly sanctioning their daughter.

Surely it was well-meaning, but it was a mistake on the parents’ part. Because now everyone will know their teenager misbehaved, and got punished.

The Paliivets say that as the top-ranked junior in Canada – she’s currently a career-high No. 54 in the world – Paliivets was promised a wild card into the Rogers Cup qualifying.

She was indeed telephoned and unofficially told she would be receiving one by Tennis Canada’s Debbie Kirkwood more than a month ago.

It was premature, an error quickly rectified.

The tournament never knows if a big name might decide to enter at the 11th hour. If that happens, one of the Canadian players who might have received a main-draw wild card would be bumped down to the qualifying, with the ripple effect that a youngster like Paliivets could be bumped out.

“Even (No. 2 Canadian) Stéphanie Dubois only heard three days ago,” Tennis Canada’s national women’s coach Sylvain Bruneau said.

Instead, Paliivets was given a pass into the four-player playoff this week, with the winner receiving the qualifying wild card. She also was awarded a wild card into the main draw of the $75,000 Challenger event held last week in Vancouver.

That’s where it went bad.

The host Hollyburn Country Club is first-class, as are its members – many of whom open their sumptuous homes to host players for the week.

“The members treat the players like their own kids. And all the players choose to go into billet – even (former top-10 player Marcos) Baghdatis,” Bruneau said.

Shortly after Paliivets unpacked her bags, her hosts called the tournament, and asked them to come fetch her.

“They were a completely respectable, safe family. Without going into details, they said, ‘She can’t stay there any more’. There was some inappropriate behaviour,” Bruneau said. “It was an infraction that should have consequences based on that incident alone, but there is history. It’s not the first incident.”

The Paliivets say Katarena was evicted simply because she had been “rude by refusing to eat fish at the dinner.”

They say she didn’t break any of Tennis Canada’s rules of conduct, and was unfairly punished based on “some subjective opinion,” or simply because the host family didn’t like her. “(It) should not be erasing all the results and achievements and affect her tennis career so dramatically,” they wrote.

Paliivets can still play in the major junior event in Repentigny at the end of the month. And she won’t be shut out of the small pro women’s events in Canada this fall. So it’s hard to see the drama.

It might have been wiser to just turn the page, move on. Tennis Canada isn't in the habit of laying down the hammer like this, so you have to think they're not making it up.

Plus, it's done. The pre-qualifying has started, and Paliivets isn't playing.

This is a player, from the little we've seen of her, who could be called "pas reposant."

The photo at left is from the qualifying at least year's Rogers Cup in Montreal.

We remember that match. Paliivets was playing a 15-year-old named Michelle Larcher de Brito, a year younger than Paliivets but already on her way. She'll be remember recently for the big grunting "scandal" during the grass-court season.

The match was on Centre Court, and Paliivets was getting woman-handled by Larcher de Brito, far more advanced at that time. The store was 6-1, 6-1. And in the end, she basically gave up. Often, she served before her opponent was even ready. In that photo, she'd down 0-5 in the second set, and was questioning a borderline call. The "discussion" went on for a good long time – too long, even if they were in a third-set tiebreaker. And it was 0-5.

We remember thinking at the time, "that girl really looks hungry."

Bruneau, whom I've known for a long time, is a nice person, and a straight-up guy. That he can deal with a bunch of young female tennis players year after year (with a short break working for Tennis-Quebec) and not lose his flippin' mind tells you something about him.

Bruneau, who said he respects that the parents are backing their daughter, has spoken to all parties involved.

“I hope the message was clear,” Bruneau said. “But it starts at home.”

TS
Aug 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM
:haha:

Oh the drama. That is hilarious :lol:

Ballbasher
Aug 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Pre Qualifying R1:
Gloria d. Molnar 0-6 6-4 7-5 :yeah: :D
Pelletier d. Dabrowski 6-0 6-3

Pre-Qualfying F:
Gloria vs Pelletier

Good Luck Mel, although I'm convinced MEP will win it easily! :(

Randy H
Aug 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm amazed that Gloria had that much of a struggle with Molnar, and surprised that Dabrowski wasn't able to put up much of a fight against Marie-Eve... :o

Hopefully Marie-Eve comes through :)