PDA

View Full Version : All about the Toyota Princess Cup

Bigkimfan
Sep 14th, 2002, 07:02 PM
When does the draw come out of the Toyota Princess cup?

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Lleyki
Sep 14th, 2002, 07:09 PM
1-Serena Williams (USA) bye
WC-Saori Obata (JPN) vs Patricia Wartusch (AUT)
WC-Gala Leon Garcia (ESP) vs Nicole Pratt (AUS)
WC-Shinobu Asagoe (JPN) vs 5-Ai Sugiyama (JPN)

4-Anna Smashnova (ISR) bye
Amy Frazier (USA) vs Emmanuelle Gagliardi (SUI)
Q- vs Christina Torrens Valero
Henrieta Nagyova (SVK) vs 6-Tatiana Panova (RUS)

8-Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) vs Maja Matevzic (SLO)
Conchita Martinez (ESP) vs Elena Likhovtseva (RUS)
Tina Pisnik (SLO) vs Q-
3-Kim Clijsters (BEL) bye

7-Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) vs Adriana Serra-Zanetti (ITA)
Q- vs Clarisa Fernandez (ARG)
Q- vs Lina Krasnoroutskaya (RUS)
2-Jelena Dokic (YUG) bye

Bigkimfan
Sep 14th, 2002, 07:25 PM
thanks a lot!!!

Come-on-kim
Sep 14th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Come on Kim:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Sep 15th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Wow Kim's got a pretty nice draw this time :D :bounce:

Sep 15th, 2002, 05:50 AM
GO KIM!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Come on Kim take revenge against both Pisnik and Likhovtseva

Kimmie:angel: :angel:

Bigkimfan
Sep 15th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Does anybody know a website that gives information about this tournament because the official one only gives information about last year (the scores, schedule of play,...)????

Sep 15th, 2002, 01:01 PM
I'm not if anything useful is there, but you could try the WTA site:
www.sanexwta.com

kevijntje
Sep 15th, 2002, 01:04 PM
c'mon kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Sep 15th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Go Kimmie! :kiss:

bp369306
Sep 15th, 2002, 02:42 PM
GO KIMMIE :)

Pinkie
Sep 15th, 2002, 03:16 PM
What round did Kim get to last year?

Elleke
Sep 15th, 2002, 03:19 PM
in the semifinal where she lost against dokic!

Pinkie
Sep 15th, 2002, 03:30 PM
ok. thanks!

Bigkimfan
Sep 15th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Good luck Kim!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Come on !!!:bounce: :bounce:

Pinkie
Sep 15th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Well, there is a web site: http://www.ntv.co.jp/princess2002/
Kind of strange though. Even on the English part, there are lots of weird characters. Might be my computer. In any event, I think it says Elke lost today. Is that right?

Bigkimfan
Sep 15th, 2002, 04:17 PM
That's right, she lost!!!

Elleke
Sep 15th, 2002, 04:17 PM
yeah, she lost yesterday :sad:

jenglisbe
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:37 PM
korn - who lost yesterday?

Anyway, Kim has a real shot here; she can get revenge on a few opponents and, if she plays well, at least make the final. The only person in the draw who can beat Kim if Kim plays well is Serena.

Kim/Jelena are in the doubles draw as well. What makes them such a good team? I have never seen them play together, but they had a good run during the summer...

Pinkie
Sep 15th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Would kim meet Serena in the semi-final or the final? When does she play her first match?

KaseyL
Sep 15th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Pinkie, as she is in the bottom half of the draw, Kim shouldn't "meet" Serena than in the final.

I so hope Kim will make it to the final, as she needs the points, each and every one of them!

angele87
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Good luck Kimmie :kiss:

KaseyL
Sep 16th, 2002, 11:04 AM
This is what Bob Larson wrote re Kim's chances at the Tokyop tournament:

Women's Look Forward: Week of September 16

... If Serena wants to win this thing, it's hard to see anyone even slowing her down before the final; she's in the easy half of the draw (i.e. Clijsters is in Dokic's hald, not Serena's). After a first round bye, she opens against either wildcard Saori Obata or clay-loving Patricia Wartusch. In the quarterfinal, she would face #5 seed Sugiyama (who starts against wildcard Shinobu Asagoe, then either Nicole Pratt or Gala Leon Garcia, who somehow got a wildcard). Sugiyama has a surprisingly good record against the more error-prone power players, but Serena has been playing too well lately for Sugiyama to be a serious threat.

#3 Kim Clijsters has not been playing very well lately, and she does have points to defend here. The good news is, she opens against Tina Pisnik or a qualifier. After that, it's more complicated. The other seed in her quarter is Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario -- but Sanchez-Vicario is out of the Top Thirty, and falling; if she keeps on as she is, she'll end the year around #40. (And indoors is not a surface where she's likely to turn things around, so if she's going to make a last stand, it has to be here.) The Spaniard opens against Maja Matevzic, who just reached the Bahia quarterfinal with a win over Panova, so she has a real shot at the Spaniard. The winner of that will face either Conchita Martinez or Elena Likhovtseva. That may actually be easier for Sanchez-Vicario, simply because her opponents have faced her so many times before; she knows how to play them -- and likely has planted the seeds of doubt. Besides, both Martinez and Likhovtseva are slumping.

About the ranking of Kim:

Kim Clijsters is also under threat. She leads Lindsay Davenport by 50 points, with 113 to defend. Clijsters, it appears, must make the semifinal to stay at #8 -- for now. (She has Leipzig to defend next week. Frankly, it looks to us like Clijsters will end the year at #10 or #11, perhaps ahead of Davenport, who has a lot still to defend, but behind Martina Hingis and Daniela Hantuchova. Chanda Rubin has a shot at her, too, if she continues to play as she played this summer.)

KaseyL
Sep 16th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Looking at the draw, I think that Kim is quite well off, although not as lucky as Serena's.

If Kim is really having her health back, she should make it to the semis again, where she could meet defending champ Jelena Dokic (if I have kept my eyes open at the draw LOL).

This would then mean at least no loss in points, and even a gain
if she would be able to beat Jelena, what might be the case as Kim's form should be better as Jelena's again. Let's hope I am right about that fitness.

Leipzig is something else... Serena has entered that too, and Kim has to defend her title there! So quite a lot at stake for Kim... Hope she might get a good draw and stay out of Serena's path as long as possible as Kim will need every point in Germany, too.

KaseyL
Sep 16th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Here's the link for the Tokyo tournament (Toyota Princess Cup):

this is the link of the 2002 tourney, although Sanex wta didn't seem to know this yet...*cough* (a bit of shameless advertising for us from CC, we are faster :D - for once at least! LOL)

No live scores I think, there weren't any last year (not that I can remember)

http://www.ntv.co.jp/princess2002/english/

Note: ignore the Japanese stuff, don't need to load it. Just follow the English version of the site LOL (not that much there :mad: )

Bigkimfan
Sep 16th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Does Kim play wednesday or thursday?

:bounce: :bounce: C'mon Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 17th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Kim plays her first doubles match (with Jelena) on Wednesday against Mandula/Wartusch.

They are scheduled to play third on centre court, not before 3 PM local time. (for the Belgians read: 7 AM CET)

Kim will play her first singles match on Thursday.

Bigkimfan
Sep 17th, 2002, 02:55 PM
oh, I really hope she gets into the finals!!!

KaseyL
Sep 18th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Kim's opponent in the second round is known now:

it will not be Pisnik, but Russian qualifier Svetlana Kuznetsova (WTA 60), if one may believe the sanexwta website.

The strange thing is, if you look at the draw and the schedule of play at the tournament's website itself; then there is another player mentioned there :confused: : the Japanese mention Svetlana Krivencheva as the winner over Pisnik. They mark her as Russian.
However, Krivencheva is Bulgarian, 29 and even not in the top 100.

Anyone knowing who is who LOL?

Big difference if Kim is facing the WTA 60 and young Russian, or the Bulgarian. :confused:

pcabenojar
Sep 18th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Based on what I've read in the www.wtatour.com , it's said that Kuznetsova defeated Pisnik (score: 5-0 ret.). Pisnik retired due to stomach illness.

if she wins her second round match, she'll face Likhovtseva in the QF. Go Kim!!! :)

pcabenojar
Sep 18th, 2002, 08:59 AM
I think she'll face the Russian qualifier.

Likhovtseva defeated Sanchez-Vicario in their second round match. Score: 6-2 6-7(1) 6-4.

Bigkimfan
Sep 18th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Kim and Dokic lost!!! The score was 5/7 4/6:sad: :sad:

pcabenojar
Sep 18th, 2002, 10:36 AM
too bad...they're a great team..sometimes there's just an off-day ...

anyway, Kim can now concentrate on her singles, I hope she wins. Go Kim!!!!!

Pinkie
Sep 18th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Kim's first singles match is the third one tomorrow. I'm guessing around 2 pm local time (if it doesn't rain too much).

Bigkimfan
Sep 18th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Has it already rained at the Toyota Princess Cup?

~|Naomi|~
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Kim has won the first set against Kuznetsova 6-4 it was 3-3.

Kim is down 0-1 in the 2nd set.

COME ON KIMMIE:angel: :angel:

~|Naomi|~
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:29 AM
OMG Kimmie just losts the 2nd 6-0:eek: :eek:

What Happened:confused:

Come On Kimmie regrouup and take it in three

KaseyL
Sep 19th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Kim def. Kuznetsova 6-4, 0-6, 7-5

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

although what happened in that second set? :eek: :eek: :eek:

This doesn't give me much confidence for the next round... I hope we find out what went so wrong in that second set! :confused: :(

~|Naomi|~
Sep 19th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Congrats Kim:)

But I think she is going to have to play better in the next round and not do whatever she did in the 2nd set 6-0:eek: :eek:

Anyway Good Luck Kim :bounce:

Good Fighting Showing that old fighting spirit again:bounce: :bounce:

pcabenojar
Sep 19th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Yeah...she needs to play better because she'll face Likhovtseva in the QF. I think it was Likhovtseva who beat Kim in Wimbledon. Am i correct?

katie124
Sep 19th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Congrats KImmie! I hope she goes all the way and bring that title
home!

Sep 19th, 2002, 09:26 AM
What happened in the 2nd set? Why does this remind me of the US Open match against Zvonareva?

Bigkimfan
Sep 19th, 2002, 09:55 AM
yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: C''mon Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Dokic and Clijsters advance at Toyota Princess Cup
Sept 19, 2002

By Alastair Himmer

TOKYO (Reuters) - Defending champion Jelena Dokic powered to a 6-2 7-6 victory over Russian Lina Krasnoroutskaya to advance to the quarter-finals of the $585,000 Toyota Princess Cup.

Third seed Kim Clijsters joined her in the last eight but had to recover from a second-set whitewash before beating Russian qualifier Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-4 0-6 7-5 in a pulsating second round match at Tokyo's Ariake Colosseum.

Dokic relied on her big serve to bail her out of trouble as Krasnoroutskaya fought back in the second set, but the 19-year-old Yugoslavian was never in serious trouble, taking the tiebreak 7-5 with a fizzing backhand pass on her fourth match point.

"The first match is always the toughest but I served well when I was down in the second set and that helped me a lot," said Dokic, who rose to a career-high fourth in the world last month.

"I had a good year last year and got into the top five this year, which I was very surprised with because sometimes you have a let-down year after you do well."

Dokic, chasing her third WTA tour title of the season, will play number seven seed Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand in Friday's quarter-finals.

An erratic Clijsters was given a fright by Kuznetsova, who hit back after double-faulting to hand the first set to the world number eight by tearing through the second in just 21 minutes.

EARLY CASUALTY

The big-hitting Kuznetsova, ranked 52 places below Clijsters in the world rankings, threatened to pull off an upset in the third set, but the Belgian teenager dug in to save two break points in the seventh game before finding her range just in time.

Clijsters finally closed out proceedings on her fourth match point when a Kuznetsova return sailed over the baseline to send the 19-year-old into the quarter-finals, where she will face another Russian, Elena Likhovtseva.

"She hardly made a mistake in the second set and I lost my focus a bit," said Clijsters. "But I kept hanging in there, even if I wasn't playing my best tennis and these are the things that motivate you for the rest of the tournament."

Fourth seed Anna Smashnova, who won the Shanghai Open at the weekend, was an early loser in Tokyo as the Israeli crashed out 6-4 6-3 to American veteran Amy Frazier in the first match on centre court.

Home favourite Ai Sugiyama was another seed to fall, the number five saving three match points before succumbing 6-3 4-6 6-3 to unseeded Nicole Pratt of Australia.

In other second round matches, Tanasugarn had few problems getting past Clarisa Fernandez of Argentina 6-4 6-4, while sixth seed Tatiana Panova of Russia beat Australian Alicia Molik 7-5 6-4.

KaseyL
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:58 AM
I sincerely hope she isn't going to lose focus again tomorrow! :sad:

She can't afford such lapses. :mad:

Kim's QF match is scheduled third tomorrow. Think it might start at approx. 2 PM local time, which is 6 AM CET.

Come On, Kim! Go for it in the QF!

Cilla
Sep 19th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by untitled2284
What happened in the 2nd set? Why does this remind me of the US Open match against Zvonareva?

Yeah I knowI thought the same, i was fearful of a Zvonareva type match & I mentioned it b4 the match in the Lleyton Thread in ATPWorld. Oh well @ least she got through it, but another lapse like that and she'll be out so :bounce: :bounce: LET'S GO KIM!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Pinkie
Sep 19th, 2002, 12:36 PM
phew. that's a scary score to wake up to. still, the first match is always tough to get through. on to bigger and better :)

KaseyL
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Here's more from Kim re the battle of today:

Clijsters, Dokic move closer to semi-final rematch

(highlights)

TOKYO (AFP) - Defending champion Jelena Dokic and Kim Clijsters stayed on course for a semi-final clash at the Princess Cup tennis tournament with contrasting victories.

Third-seeded Clijsters, who lost to Dokic in the semi-finals last year here, survived a mid-match slump that cost her the second set, to eventually beat Russian teenager Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-4, 0-6, 7-5.

Clijsters was full of praise for Kuznetsova after the 106-minute match.

"She's got a very good forehand, very good serve and her backhand is very consistent. She is a player with a lot of potential. I think she's gonna be very good in the future," Clijsters, who is herself aged just 19, said.

"In the first set we both started off really well, there were a lot of good rallies and I was serving well.

"And she hit a double fault on a set point. That was really nice for me. But in the second set she didn't really make any mistakes and I just lost focus, I was a little bit out of my rhythm.

"You try to forget everything that happened in the second set and focus again on the third set... I hung in there. That's the only thing you can do. Even if you don't play your best tennis, that really motivates and really helps you in the rest of the tournament."

Clijsters and Dokic are in the same bottom half of the draw and, if they both make it the semi-finals, would expect the winner of their clash to play world number one Serena Williams in the final.

Before meeting Dokic, Clijsters must beat another Russian, Elena Likhovstseva, the winner over former French Open champion Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario of Spain on Wednesday.

Bigkimfan
Sep 19th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by pcabenojar
Yeah...she needs to play better because she'll face Likhovtseva in the QF. I think it was Likhovtseva who beat Kim in Wimbledon. Am i correct?

Right, Likhovtseva beat Kim with 7/6 6/2 in the 2nd round!!!
I really hope she wins tomorrow...

Lleykimmy1
Sep 19th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Congratulation Kim !!!!

The most important thing is that she won that match, even if she wasn't playing her best tennis at all !!
I'm sure she'll win tomorrow !!!!!

Go Kim you're the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Sep 19th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Is there a website where you can follow Kim's match live or can you receive messages with the scores by mobil phone???

KaseyL
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Here's the site where you can have live updates:

http://www.wtafans.com/toyotaprinessscores.html

There are nowhere real live scores, this is the best solution, I'm afraid.

KaseyL
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Another article re Kim's win today:

Clijsters Fights Off Kuznetsova In Princess Cup

By Richard Pagliaro
09/19/2002

Mired in the midst of a six-game losing streak, Kim Clijsters could see her second-round match against Svetlana Kuznetsova slipping away today. So she took appropriate action — she got a grip on herself.
Regripping her racquet and regrouping mentally, a composed Clijsters rallied for a 6-4, 0-6, 7-5 victory to advance to the quarterfinals of the Toyota Princess Cup in Tokyo, Japan.

It was a promising performance by Kuznetsova, who has risen 206 spots in the rankings since the season started, and now stands at a career-high No. 60. The 17-year-old Russian double faulted to conceded the first set to Clijsters, but responded by racing through the second set at love in a mere 21 minutes.
"She hardly made a mistake in the second set and I lost my focus a bit," Clijsters said. "But I kept hanging in there, even if I wasn't playing my best tennis and these are the things that motivate you for the rest of the tournament."

The winner of the Helsinki tournament title last month, Kuznetsova earned two break points in the eighth game and would have served for the match if she had converted one of the break points, but Clijsters held serve to even the set at 4-4.
Compensating for her sporadic shot-making by running down as many shots as she could, Clijsters held a pair of match points at 5-4 in the decisive set only to see Kuznetsova save both before leveling the set 5-5. The eighth-ranked Clijsters broke serve in the 11th game of the final set before closing out the match on her fourth match point when Kuznetsova sent a forehand return beyond the baseline.

The victory vaulted Clijsters into an intriguing quarterfinal clash with Russian Elena Likhovtseva, who upset Clijsters in the second round of the 2002 Wimbledon, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2. It was Likhovtseva's first career win over Clijsters in three meetings.
The 19-year-old Clijsters, who has suffered from a sore serving shoulder at times this season, is seeking her second title of the season. She beat Venus Williams to win Hamburg in the spring.

Bigkimfan
Sep 19th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by KaseyL
Here's the site where you can have live updates:

http://www.wtafans.com/toyotaprinessscores.html

There are nowhere real live scores, this is the best solution, I'm afraid.

Thanks a lot!!!

~|Naomi|~
Sep 20th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Kimmie is leading Likhovtseva 6-2 3-1 if she wins she will have to face Dokic who won easily 6-3 6-1

COME ON KIM:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 20th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Yessss! Kim is in the semis again!

Kim def. Likhovtseva 6-2, 6-2!

~|Naomi|~
Sep 20th, 2002, 06:58 AM
WOOHOO KIMMIE WON 6-2 6-2 she took revenge against Likhovtseva:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good Luck against Dokic Kimmie:angel: :angel:

Play like today:)

spiritfullfrog
Sep 20th, 2002, 07:53 AM
if (which she probaly will) kim beats jelana, does that mean that she'll hav to beat serena in the finals??
Anyway i hope kim plays realli well against dokic!
when is it?
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

gokimmie
Sep 20th, 2002, 08:00 AM
congrats kimmie!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
very good win ,esp mentally!:D :D :D
pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASE beat dokic:D :angel: :angel: ;) ;)
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Sep 20th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Yehhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats Kim!!!!!

pcabenojar
Sep 20th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Kim will play the first match against Dokic tom. Good Luck Kim!!

gokimmie
Sep 20th, 2002, 11:05 AM
what time is that in belgium????

Lleykimmy1
Sep 20th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Well done Kimmie !!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you'll beat Jelena and also Serena !!!!

Good luck to you !!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Pinkie
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:16 PM
on Kim's win:

Agence France Presse

Reigning world number one Serena Williams waltzed into the semi-finals of the
Princess Cup here Friday, blasting past Nicole Pratt of Australia with a
whirlwind performance.

Williams, the winner of the previous three straight Grand Slam titles, gave
Pratt only one point on a double fault in the first 15 points on her way to a
6-1, 6-0 39-minute demolition job.

In the semi-finals, she will take on fellow American Amy Frazier, the
two-time runner-up here, who eliminated sixth seed Tatiana Panova 2-6, 6-1, 6-4.

"I played alright, I'm starting to get focused. I'm almost where I want to be
for the first tournament after the US Open. It's really hard to get re-focused
after such a big win, but I'm getting there," said Williams.

"It's great to be in the semi-finals, I haven't lost a match here at this
tournament and I love playing here. I've played Amy once, she is obviously
playing great at the moment.

"She is a tough player, she runs very fast. Amy is a very deceptive player.
If you are not careful, you can lose to her. So I will have to make sure I'm
really focused for the match," she added.

Defending champion and second seed Jelena Dokic of Yugoslavia overcame a
faltering service game before downing Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand 6-3, 6-1
in Friday's other quarter.

"Physically I'm good," said Dokic after the 69-minute match. "I was a little
bit tired last week after the summer and a lot of tennis, but I feel much
better," the 19-year-old added.

"I played enough to win. I hadn't expected to play as well as I did, but I
lost to her the last time I played (Hopman Cup/not WTA Tour) and she can play
well, so I'm happy to win easily."

Tamarine, playing Dokic for the first time on the tour, came back from one
service break down twice to 3-4 in the first set when her forehand shot hit the
head of a ball girl near the net. She went to the girl and apologized.

But Tamarine hit a double fault on the following point to give Dokic a triple
break point, which eventually cost her the game and the set, and then she only
managed to break the sixth game of the second set afterwards.

"After she got a break to 3-2 and then I broke her, I think that was the key
game. From there on, I lost only one more game (in the first set), so I think I
was in control from the beginning," said Dokic.

"Even though she got back, I felt comfortable as well, I was dictating the
points, but I think at 3-2 when I broke her, that was a big game," she added.

Dokic will play Belgian third seed Kim Clijsters in the semi-finals, who
reached the last four after defeating Russia's Elena Likhovtseva 6-2, 6-2.

It was sweet revenge for Clijsters, who lost to Likhovtseva in the round of
64 at Wimbledon.

"At Wimbledon, I was struggling, I had some shoulder problems for a few
months and I split with my coach, but I learned a lot from the situation," said
Clijsters.

"I definitely was looking forward to revenge, it really motivated me," said
Clijsters, who is looking forward to her tussle with Dokic.

"We grew up together, we started playing under 14s together, the juniors
together, and I'm playing the doubles with her. I know her pretty well and it's
nice to play her again," Clijsters said.

"I haven't played her for a few months and it's nice that now we played the
doubles together. It's a kind of really a tough match, she obviously plays very
well and she is the defending champion."

[COLOR=darkblue]

Pinkie
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:46 PM
OOP Saturday:

<1st Match> Starting at 12:00noon
K.CLIJSTERS VS J.DOKIC

<2nd Match> followed by
S.WILLIAMS VS A.FRAZIER

Cilla
Sep 20th, 2002, 01:38 PM
:bounce :bounce: Kimmy! :bounce: :bounce: Great win! :D I like this quote ;)

I definitely was looking forward to revenge, it really motivated me"

Good on ya girl, now crush Dokic! :fiery:

LETS GO KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Primula
Sep 20th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Way to go Kimmie !!! Wow that was an impressive win over Lichovtcheva !!
Yeah that's the way, aha aha !!
It's going to be tough against Jelena, but it is going to work, I just know!! We all believe in it, don't we??

Keep playing like this !!!:D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

*annamaria*
Sep 20th, 2002, 02:45 PM
did anyone see that match on TV? here we don't get any coverage from tokyo which really makes me :fiery: :mad::mad::fiery:

Bigkimfan
Sep 20th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Primula
Way to go Kimmie !!! Wow that was an impressive win over Lichovtcheva !!
Yeah that's the way, aha aha !!
It's going to be tough against Jelena, but it is going to work, I just know!! We all believe in it, don't we??

Keep playing like this !!!:D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I believe in it!!!

Stefke
Sep 20th, 2002, 05:29 PM
12.00 noon!!!!
That's 3.00 in Belgium!:eek:
I don't think my mom wants that I'm staying awake for that:sad:

Bigkimfan
Sep 20th, 2002, 08:26 PM
No, I don't think so, isn't it 5.00 am ???

Bigkimfan
Sep 20th, 2002, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry, mistake...

ßcoene
Sep 21st, 2002, 12:03 AM
Good luck Kim, I hope you enjoy the match and that you play well.

jd4eva
Sep 21st, 2002, 12:13 AM
Hey Kim fans.

I just wanted to wish you guys good luck before our girls take part in the semifinals today.

So, good luck to both yourselves and Kim!

Bigkimfan
Sep 21st, 2002, 02:18 AM
I don't see any live scores!!!

Pinkie
Sep 21st, 2002, 04:50 AM
kim won! 75 62 63
how cool is that!

~|Naomi|~
Sep 21st, 2002, 04:56 AM
Is Jelena ranked four? Cause if she is or was when the match was played think of all the bonus points Kim just got:)

WELL DONE KIM & GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEXT MATCH I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 21st, 2002, 04:59 AM
YIPIE!!! WOW! SHE DID IT!

Congrats Kim!

You have won some points here! This is such good news! revenge for last year and all! :)

KaseyL
Sep 21st, 2002, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by kim&amp;lleytonrule
Is Jelena ranked four? Cause if she is or was when the match was played think of all the bonus points Kim just got:)

WELL DONE KIM & GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEXT MATCH I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Kim has earned some points, indeed!

~|Naomi|~
Sep 21st, 2002, 05:06 AM
IN the rankings of the 16th of September Kim was ranked8 with 2730 points and Henin was 7 with 2869 points.

I just wanted to know that with the points Kim has won here is she any chance of moving into 7th spot as that is only 139 points?

gokimmie
Sep 21st, 2002, 05:40 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 21st, 2002, 05:41 AM
Kim got into the SF last year, so she is only winning points thanks to this spot in the final, and the bonus points.

The finalist gets 137 points (- KIm's last year's 88 gives her a real advantage of 49 points imo).

+ bonus points should be 55 to beat Dokic I think= total earning of 104 (55+49).

The winner tomorrow takes 195 in total!

So if Kim wants to do great, she could do like this:

195 - 88= 107 + bonus 100= 207 points, what would make her jump over Henin again and might give her WTA 7 imo!

Anyone who could confirm my calculations? (it's quite early in the morning here LOL, and I got home at 2 AM...)

Hope I'm right, though!

KaseyL
Sep 21st, 2002, 06:11 AM
*cough* Just one little problem in my calculation: she needs to beat serena tomorrow...

She can do it, but how is Kim's form? :confused:
She'll need to have a great first serve... to name just one thing.

My heart goes to Kim, but my mind says serena has the obvious edge here, like she has been playing recently! :mad:

Bigkimfan
Sep 21st, 2002, 07:37 AM
Yeh!!!!! Come on Kim!!! You can do it !!!

Bigkimfan
Sep 21st, 2002, 07:40 AM
Is the final going to be broadcast on tv in Belgium???

Verve
Sep 21st, 2002, 08:06 AM
Rankings:

they have re-valuated all tournies: the points of the tier 3's, 4's en 5's have drastically been reduced. The points of Grand Slams, Grandslamcup and Tier 1's have been pulled higher. Tier 2's of 585000 dollars have a very slight loss of points (the winner earns 195 round points instead of the 200 from last year) and that's also reflected in Kim's points:

when she reached the semi's, she had only earned 106 points:
88 round points (which I guess is a little bit less than last year too) + 8 points from Kuznetsova + 10 points from Likhovtseva.

So that's a loss of 7 points in comparison with last year (when her semi was worth 113 points).

Now that she's beaten Jelena, she's got 49 more round points and 55 extra quality points, which brings her total to 210! That means that she has won 97 points in comparison to last year, so now she must have something of 2827 points. So she probably stays at 8, unless she beats Serena! (note: I didn't take the 18th tournament in account, because that's really too complicated, so that means that the point total could still vary a bit)

But she would reaaaaaaaaally do a good job if she beat Serena;)

Then she's got a 58 extra round points and 100 extra bonus points! That would give her a point total of 368!!! And that way, her ranking points would be 2985, so she would jump over Henin and also Mauresmo, which would make her #6.

But hey, beating Serena's a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery tough job...

Lleyki
Sep 21st, 2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Bigkimfan
Is the final going to be broadcast on tv in Belgium??
I wanted to know that too!
Anyone???

Majo
Sep 21st, 2002, 09:29 AM
yeah!!! come on kim!!!!!!!!!! congrats, and good luck!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Sep 21st, 2002, 09:42 AM
Well, what would you say if we al send an e-mail to canvas or la deux??? Maybe they would broadcast the match than...

:bounce: :bounce: C'mon Kim, you can do it!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Sep 21st, 2002, 09:49 AM
Well done Kim, I knew that you could beat Jelena !!!

Now it's gonna be a tough match against Serena, but I'm sure she'll stuggle for every point and win this match !!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Go Kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Sep 21st, 2002, 10:42 AM
Well Done Kimmy :kiss: I knew you would win! :D Now to beat Serena :( It'll be a tough ask but we know she can do it :D Hey Frazier took Serena to a 1st set TB and Serena dropped her serve 3 times, so you never know. Go Kim! We're all behind you do your best and take the title! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BelgianGirl
Sep 21st, 2002, 10:45 AM
I'm hoping to see that final, too!! When is the final played (in Belgian time) ?

Please Canvas/RTBF!!!!!:angel:

Verve
Sep 21st, 2002, 10:56 AM
Go Kim!!! First of all, enjoy this match, and fight for every point! You can beat her if you really really really want it!!:D;)

What is also a good thing, is that Kim didn't play her best tennis against Jelena, even not in the 2nd and 3rd sets, and still won! Maybe she has a chance against Serena if she comes out on top of her game!

Clijsters, who lost to Dokic in the semifinals of this event last year, took advantage of her mobility in the second and third sets after struggling with her serve in the opening set when she had five double faults.

"I don't think either of us played well at the same time," said Clijsters. "My serve wasn't there at first and then when I started playing better she started making mistakes so there weren't a lot of long rallies."

Clijsters is winless in four previous head-to-head matches with Williams. In their last meeting at the 2001 Ericsson Open, Williams won 6-0, 6-2.

"I'm not playing my best tennis but I'm still winning," said Clijsters. "I'll definitely have to play better tomorrow against Serena

Anyway, the most important thing is that she has to believe she has a very realistic chance of winning if she plays at her very best .

GO KIM!!!:D

angele87
Sep 21st, 2002, 12:00 PM
Congrats Kimmie, great win over Jelena! Good luck again Serena.... I know you can do it :D

tfannis
Sep 21st, 2002, 12:06 PM
http://216.40.241.68/otn/blobs/boldblue.gifhttp://216.40.241.68/otn/blobs/boldlblue.gifhttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/blobs/boldpurple.gifhttp://216.40.241.68/otn/blobs/boldred.gifhttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/blobs/bounce.gifCongrats Kimmy....you made my day :D http://216.40.241.68/otn/blobs/multi.gif

ClijstersHewitt
Sep 21st, 2002, 03:41 PM
NO HARD FEELINGS: Belgian Kim Clijsters said she was sure her semifinal victory over Yugoslavia's Jelena Dokic at the Toyota Princess Cup on Saturday won't do any damage to the friendship the two players have.

"I think we're all mature enough not to let that effect anything off the court," Clijsters said after her 5-7, 6-2, 6-3 victory over the tournament's defending champion. "We play each other so many times that you couldn't let that bother you."

Dokic defeated Clijsters in the semifinals of last year's Toyota Princess Cup. Clijsters, ranked eighth in the world, will face World No. 1 Serena Williams in Sunday's final at Ariake Colosseum.

"I'm not playing my best tennis but I'm still winning," said Clijsters. "I'll definitely have to play better tomorrow against Serena."

KaseyL
Sep 21st, 2002, 05:03 PM
Article re Kim's win today:

In the first semi-final, Clijsters and Dokic both had chances to win a see-saw third set decided when Dokic, who had dug herself out of a hole at 3-0 down, committed her sixth double fault to drop serve in the eighth game.

CODE VIOLATION :D

A big first serve and drive-volley from Clijsters set up three match points but she needed only one as Dokic dumped a forehand into the net from mid-court to give the Belgian victory in one hour 32 minutes.

Dokic, who had lost three of her previous five matches against Clijsters, looked determined to correct that statistic as the world number four won the first set 7-5 behind a succession of baseline winners.

A frustrated Clijsters, who served eight double faults of her own, received a code violation for smashing a ball into the press seats ( :D LOL Kim, taking some revenge, targetting some journalists?) in the third game of the second set, although the warning seemed to fire her up.

Clijsters suddenly produced some terrific counter-attacking tennis, scrambling for every ball as she broke in the next game and went on to take the set 6-2.

"The code violation actually helped me. I got all my anger out there and once I started keeping the ball in more, she started making mistakes," said Clijsters, who went off to the practice court to work on her serve straight after the match.

"I don't know what I was doing in the first set. My serve just wasn't there today. I will obviously have to play at a higher level against Serena."

Dokic had her chances after levelling at 3-3 in the final set but Clijsters kept her nerve to hold for 4-3 and then broke Dokic for a sixth time in the crucial eighth game.

"I let her off a little bit in the second set and I lost my chance after coming back in the third. It was a little bit my fault but she went for her shots," said Dokic.

END

So, Kim, be very, very angry tomorrow, please! We don't mind the code violations, :D but just beat Serena!

KaseyL
Sep 21st, 2002, 05:10 PM
Thanks Verve for the ranking calculation!

It would be so great if she would beat serena and move up to # 6! Kim belongs in the top 5, each step closer to that, is more justice to her skills!

Go Kim!

*annamaria*
Sep 21st, 2002, 05:12 PM
congrats Kimmy :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
i am sooooo happy for you you've reached the final!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

tomorrow is another big :bounce:!! i count on you Kimmy!

well, Serena CAN'T WIN ALWAYS. She won't win always, tomorrow she won't. (hope so ;) )

lots of love
Anna Maria

Bigkimfan
Sep 21st, 2002, 07:57 PM
Where can we follow the scores live ???

Come-on-kim
Sep 21st, 2002, 09:18 PM
GO KIM, YOU CAN DO IT:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 21st, 2002, 09:37 PM
For all the Belgians: The Tokyo final will be shown on Canvas tomorrow, in 'Sportpaleis'.

So the match won't be live on Canvas...

Anyone any info re La Deux? They rather also show a match live when the timing isn't so 'convenient'!

Verve
Sep 21st, 2002, 09:42 PM
When will the final take place? Is it 5:00 AM Belgian time when it's 12:00 PM in Tokyo?

~|Naomi|~
Sep 22nd, 2002, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the rankings calculations Verve;)

spiritfullfrog
Sep 22nd, 2002, 04:05 AM
kim is playing at 12 noon in japan which is exactly ...... 11 hours from now!!!!!!
goood luck!!!!
beat serena and make everyone happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pitty lleyton won't be there supporting her!
lleyton's finished playing at the davis cup, and the last match is going on right now in adelaide and he's there watching and supporting...something he should do for kim!
well good luck kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you can do it!!!!!!!

KaseyL
Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:14 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

too bad Kim lost, but at least she has put up a good fight!

Kim lost with 6-2, 3-6, 3-6

no number 6 on Monday (yet!)

Better luck next time, Kim!

We all know she has what it takes to beat Serena, very glad she put up a good fight! Too bad it wasn't good enough today...

~|Naomi|~
Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:45 AM
Good Fight Kim:angel:

I think that this tournament could be a turning point for Kim cause she beat Kuznetsova in a tough three setter in which she had to fight and she did unlike she was around the french and WImbledon and also Kim beat Likhovtseva 6-2 6-2 and as we all know Likhovtseva beat Kim at Wimby and also Kim beat Dokic who she probably wouldn't have around Wimby time. And then took Serena to three sets in the final, Hopefully this gives Kim lots of confidence. But I guess we will have to wait to Leipzig to see if this tournament was a turning point for Kim.

Come-on-kim
Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:55 AM
I hope Kim can at least reach the final!! (I'm sure she can!!!!!!!)

And then beating Serena probably!!!!!!

Come on Kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Elleke
Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:48 AM
TOKYO (AP) -- Serena Williams rebounded from a shaky start and beat Kim Clijsters 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 to win the Toyota Princess Cup on Sunday.

Williams, the world's No. 1 player and the tournament's top seed, captured her seventh title of the year and improved to 5-0 against Clijsters, the No. 3 seed.

``I feel great ,'' Williams said. ``It was a great final and I don't think the tennis could have been any better than it was today.''

Clijsters jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the first set, taking advantage of a series of unforced errors by Williams, who couldn't find her rhythm.

Williams, who beat sister Venus earlier this month to win the U.S. Open, picked up the pace in the second set. She broke Clijsters serve to go up 5-3 and then served out to win the set and never looked back.

The start of the match was delayed 20 minutes when organizers closed the retractable roof at Ariake Colosseum because of rain. After the second game of the first set, there was another delay when the floodlights at the multipurpose arena went out.

I saw a part of the match on eurosport :eek:@Kim! she was very good returning and serving in the first and the begin of the second set!! but yeah!.. a stupid double fault and a UE.. gave serena the break.. BUT CONGRATS KIM! I LOVE IT TO SEE HER PLAYING LIKE THIS :)

billybizar
Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:02 AM
Umm, korn, Eurosport didn't show anything of the first set.

Hoping Canvas will make this up.

Elleke
Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:22 AM
they showed parts of the first set!

billybizar
Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
Okay, maybe one point.

Bigkimfan
Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:53 AM
Well done Kim!!! Kim took a set , what even venus couldn't do at the slam-finals!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck in Leipzig!!!:bounce: :bounce:

C'mon Kim!!!

Cilla
Sep 22nd, 2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by billybizar
Okay, maybe one point.

Yep I only got one point of the 1st set too (And it was a replay :mad:) It was of Serena serving and Kim hitting a winning return.

Well Done Kimmy! I was happy to see her playing so well, she seems to be getting back on track! :bounce:

Good Luck in Leipzig Kimmie! :kiss: :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 22nd, 2002, 09:20 PM
2-Tennis-Serena beats Clijsters to lift Princess Cup
By Alastair Himmer

TOKYO (Reuters) - World number one Serena Williams has recovered from an error-strewn first set to beat third seed Kim Clijsters 2-6 6-3 6-3 in the final of the Toyota Princess Cup and win her seventh WTA tour title of the year.

The newly-crowned U.S. Open champion committed a string of unforced errors in a first set delayed by rain and then interrupted for 20 minutes by a floodlight failure at Ariake Colosseum in Tokyo.

But just as the lights were threatening to go out on Williams under the closed centre court roof, the American lifted her game in the second set, breaking Clijsters to go 5-3 up with a ferocious cross-court backhand pass.

Williams, who turns 21 on Thursday, was on a completely different level after that, serving out the second set with an inspired love game that included the fourth of her six aces on set point.

A third set was almost uncharted territory for Williams, who was never extended to a decider at the U.S. Open in a remarkable run culminating in a 6-4 6-3 demolition of elder sister Venus in the final.

But Serena, who won here on her only previous appearance in 2000, continued to put pressure on the Clijsters serve and the Belgian wilted in the third game, Williams securing the crucial break with another bludgeoning forehand pass.

She was in total control from then on and could even afford the luxury of letting three match points slip through her fingers after a seventh double fault from Clijsters had put Williams 40-0 up.

LUNGING FOREHAND

But a mid-court put-away produced her a fourth match point and the American closed out the match after one hour and 35 minutes when her lunging forehand return clipped the net and Clijsters was unable to do anything with the low bounce.

The victory saw Williams tie Venus for the most singles titles on the tour in 2002. Serena has also won the last three grand slams of the season after missing the Australian Open with an ankle injury.

"After the U.S. Open I honestly just didn't practise, so maybe I was a bit rusty. I made about 90 unforced errors in the first set," joked Serena, who had never lost to Clijsters in four previous meetings.

"But I just keep hitting, no matter what. The worst way to go out is to be a chicken about it. When I lose I go out hitting. But today I felt almost where I was at the U.S. Open."

SERENA SLAM

Williams collected $93,000 for her victory, taking her prize money for 2002 to almost $3.2 million. She said she was now focused on completing a non-calendar year sweep of grand slam titles at the Australian Open in January.

"Me and Venus are both very motivated because neither of us has won the Australian Open yet. But especially for me because I really want to get the 'Serena Slam' there," she said.

Clijsters, meanwhile, was philosophical after the defeat which earned her $49,500.

"Serena hits the ball so hard and reads your strokes really well. Her and Venus can just win their matches 7-5 in the third or 6-4 in the third," said the world number eight.

"On the important points, when you think you can do something they can just hit an ace.

"They're so strong in those situations and that's what makes them so good."

END

Having seen Kim playing today, I think it's fair to say that she is back!

Am very happy for that! She goes for each point, doesn't surrender until the last second of the match, runs after everything she can!

Go KIM! Good luck in Leipzig! She will beat serena one day!

*annamaria*
Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:21 AM
:wavey:

just wanna let you know that eurosport shows the Tokyo final relieve from 12.30-13.30 CET.:bounce:
i'll watch it, it's been like gazillion years ago that i saw kim play last time. it's crazy noone broadcasts one of her matches....:mad:
oh well.