PDA

View Full Version : Q2: Sunday's results

sandv1
Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:39 AM
I tried to dig in and get together more detail for 2 matches. I also have a general but fairly comprehensive overview of the last match of the day.

I have got to give the player of the day kudos to Olga Savchuk just for performing the feat that she did!

Gullickson vs. Nelson: based on written notes(!)

11:25AM PST:
Both start off strong. They get to 2 games a piece, and they are in a dead heat. Moderately long rallies. Lindsey fights back to win service game to level at 3 games a piece. Carly holds serve, and then she consults with her coach. 4-3 Carly. Carly is starting to break Lindsey's service game ...and a minute later, succeeds to go up 5-3. Carly wins final game of first set with an ace.

(2nd set)
Lindsey fails to win her service game due to both returning into the net and hitting serves long or wide. Carly easily holds her serve. 2-0 Carly. Carly easily breaks Lindsey due to Lindsey's failed returns. Carly up 3-0. Also, Carly occassionally has ball toss problems.

(Meanwhile, at this point, the scoreboard shows that Scheepers is up 6-3 in her 1st set.)

12 noon PST:
Carly holds serve to go up 4-0. Lindsey fights back to save her service game. 4-1 Carly. Lindsey breaks Carly's serve! 4-2 Carly. Lindsey holds serve. 4-3 Carly. Carly talks to her coach. Carly holds serve to go up 5-3. Lindsey holds serve to go to 4-5. Carly foot faults at about 30-15. (I believe that Lindsey had a foot fault of her own far ealier in the 1st set.) Carly finishes in straights at 12:33pm

That point late in the 2nd set just past 4-0 was literally the only time that Lindsey made a real attempt to push Carly back. While it was a good matchup, Carly was the one who generally asserted control.

sandv1
Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Craybas vs. Perry: based on written notes(!)

12:37PM PST:
Jill holds serve after breaking Perry's serve. Jill breaks Shenay's serve again less than 2 minutes later! Jill holds serve to bring her up 4-0. Jill breaks Shenay a 3rd time to get to 5-0. Jill bagels Shenay!

At this point it's looking as if we'd have what amounts to being a repeat of Jill's performance on Saturday... alas, Shenay decided to "show up" after the 1st set...

Also, Shenay was (literally) coughing throughout the 1st set, and she continues this for a bit more. It's hard to guage the cause. She doesn't seem to be sick with a cold since she isn't sneezing or reaching for kleenex, touching her forehead or throat. This never became clarified, but eventually the coughing stopped, and coincidentally she played better.

(2nd set)
1:00PM PST:
Shenay "shows some life" in her game. Perry holds serve. They get into rallies. Craybas fights to get to 2-1. Craybas gets the serving "yips" as Mary Carillo would say. 3-1 Craybas. Perry easily holds to go to 2-3. Perry breaks Jill's serve! 3-3. Perry holds to go to 4-3. Craybas easily holds to get to 4-4. Perry holds: 5-4. Craybas wins her service game but with difficulty. 5-5. 6-5 Perry. They get into a rally of well over 11 strokes... guessing at least 14 strokes. Perry breaks Craybas to win set at 7-5.

(3rd set)
1:52PM PST:
Perry easily holds to get to 1-0. Craybas holds with difficulty. 1-1. Perry is starting to use an ongoing net charging tactic, and she's doing it to great effect! On the other hand, Craybas continues to mostly remain in the back court. Perry wins her service game ending with two hard serves. 2-1 Perry. 2-2. Perry is having trouble with return of serve. Perry aces to go up to 3-2. Craybas pulls out a down-the-line shot to level the set at 3 all. Uneven serving from Perry. Craybas breaks Perry. 4-3 Craybas. Perry holds to get to 4-5 Perry. Craybas wins match at 2:27PM.

The first two sets were fairly evenly split: Perry wasn't really there for the 1st, and Perry was more consistent than Craybas in the 2nd. The 3rd set provided the first and only real battle for control, and there were 1 or 2 parts of the last set where "the wheels could have come off". I believe that Craybas was able to pull the match out by cashing in on her years of experience. Still, now that I think about it, that 3rd set was threatening to be a throwback to past matches when Craybas would fall after building up a substantial level of momentum. Whether or not this type of behavior is considered "choking", she didn't choke today! Admittedly, this was _not_ as consistently good a performance as Saturday's. She certainly will have to bring up her game to take on Schiavone on Monday.