PDA

View Full Version : Q1: Saturday's results

sandv1
Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
I have a LOT to say, but considering that I literally sampled 8 of the 16 matches, I feel fully confident in saying:

JILL CRAYBAS BLEW THE ENTIRE QUALI DRAW OFF THE MAP!!!!

Lee-Waters' Boy
Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
jill was amazing.
did you watch rodionova/poutchek??? that was amazing.

sandv1
Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
I only reached the court mid-way through the Radionova vs. Poutchek match, and I hung around for about 3 games, so I don't have full context. Still, I have to say that what I saw left me less than pleased and impressed. I caught them when they were both contesting line calls and having fits. To be fair their play wasn't bad, but discipline is a substantial issue, and I think that Craybas rose above everyone else in that respect ...by light years.

sandv1
Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
I more or less kept to my battle plan...

I started off by watching the 1st 2 matches at Court 5 all the way through non-stop...

Lepchenko vs Spears:

3-2 1st set in Spears' favor was the first critical point in the match. This is where Spears started to assert herself, though at this point, she soon lost a bit of confidence only to find it later...Lepchenko made a faux attempt to overtake, but it didn't last long at all. They stayed close and oscillated for the better part of about another set's worth of games. Several games into the 2nd set, Lepchenko was seemingly stuck in auto-pilot. Meanwhile, Spears was getting her act together and started to return much better. Consequently, the dynamic of who generated errors changed, and Spears won fairly handily. A rather typical or vanalla match.

Craybas vs. Gibbs:

TOTAL mis-match of the day! It was a near blow-out. Even leaving aside the lackluster performance that Gibbs offered, Craybas was in stellar form. She was literally near textbook perfect. She got caught off-guard rarely by being drawn into the net only to be trapped away from the backcourt, but those types of problems weren't significant in this situation. (Naturally, a WS would punish Jill for such circumstances.)

I was just continuously impressed. Craybas was "all business" in minding her game and didn't let emotions get in the way. She took care of her own, and everything fell into place. Even when she lost points, she lost them valiantly.

She easily offered the performance of the day. She could literally trouble Safina with this level of play.

The 2nd set of matches started up after the nearby X-Games went through about an hour of noisy motorcross, but that was factored into the schedule, so most matches were on target or even early by the time the 3rd set of matches were under way.

Jill blew through her match in an hour or less(!!!), so I went back for food, and then I started to wander around and dive into the matches then on offer. In fact, the only match of that part of the day that I didn't see at all was Ahn vs. South, but I heard parts of it called by the line judge when I was nearby.

I believe that I first watched Glatch vs. Fuda on the same court i.e. #5.
This was a bit of a see-saw. Glatch started off with some easy points, but throughout most of the match she seemed rather uninsipired. It didn't even strike me as being a matter of physical fatigue. She simply wasn't mentally there ..almost as if she didn't care to play much at all. This was evidenced by the fact that 1) she kept winning points and games but not in a consistent fashion 2) Fuda continued to threaten along the way. and 3) Glatch showed signs of outright laziness that would get most players killed in the main draw.

Eventually, well into the 2nd set, Glatch started to compose herself and consolidate her game. She was conservative with tactics, but she simply played less sloppily, and that was more or less enough to thwart Fuda's short-lived mid-match threat. Fuda showed glimmers of prowess, but ultimately she wasn't impressive. Glatch was more frustrating since you could tell that she could have played MUCH better if she only had her head together. This was possibly the most disappointing match of the day.

(to be continued...)

Lee-Waters' Boy
Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:49 AM
I only reached the court mid-way through the Radionova vs. Poutchek match, and I hung around for about 3 games, so I don't have full context. Still, I have to say that what I saw left me less than pleased and impressed. I caught them when they were both contesting line calls and having fits. To be fair their play wasn't bad, but discipline is a substantial issue, and I think that Craybas rose above everyone else in that respect ...by light years.

i was there for all of it and i agree it was not impressive but it definitely was entertaining

sandv1
Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Since I'm going to try to go to sleep and I don't see updated results on the relevant tourney website, here's who's still "live" for qualifying to gain entry into the main draw:

Confirmed Winners:
Spears
Craybas
Oudin
Glatch
Krajicek
Haynes
Stephens

Likely winners based on partial info:
Ahn
Rodionova
Ditty?

(I've no idea of the results of the 6 other matches.)

Srodgers
Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
are you sure abi spears won?
cuz on the livescore thing it said she lost?

sandv1
Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
are you sure abi spears won?
cuz on the livescore thing it said she lost?

Yeah, I just woke up to read today's draw and was surprised. I totally stand by what I said about the 1st set starting out in Spears favor, but I just don't remember now how the 2nd set ended.

..so I have to concede that I don't remember exactly how Lepchenko took control of the match although I seem to recall that her defense improved in the 2nd set.

Now that I think about it, I believe that Spears' serve wavered through part of the 2nd set as well. It certainly was a fairly even match.

Sorry about the confusion!

(I'll try to take notes today. :-p )

sandv1
Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
I was far too sleepy to continue writing late into the night last night, so I had to call it quits. Likewise, now my memory of yesterday isn't as strong as it was coming home from the event. I'll try to conservatively piece together more of what I experienced yesterday...

Oudin vs. Jodkova:
I only saw several games of this match. Of those games, Oudin took control, but she certainly did not do it convincingly.

Stevenson vs. Krajicek:
I likely saw not quite 1/2 of the 2nd set.
What stands out in this match is the fact that both players were very aggressive. Stevenson was noticably frustrated with her trouble in finishing off points. (She dejectedly bounced her racquet once.) There was quite a bit of rallying here too, and the play was pretty clean.

When I left this match, it was clear that Krajicek was more confident, and she was generally in marginal control. I had hoped to return to this match, but I didn't. Still, updated linescores showed that Krajicek had continued to hold her ground. Stevenson struck me as a good, solid player, but she didn't have quite enough to overtake Krajicek. I seem to vaguely recall that both had good movement too.

paul_masterton
Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Take it you missed Baltacha's horror show then?

WIMBY
Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Melanie South defeated Ahn :bounce:

sandv1
Aug 3rd, 2009, 03:26 AM
Take it you missed Baltacha's horror show then?

YES. Apparently, I should be relieved? :p