PDA

View Full Version : 13 year old African American Steffi Graf

chuckiegotit
Jul 24th, 2009, 03:13 AM
13 year old African American Steffi Graf, This girl swings as well as slices. Future is Bright
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3548/3657308615_bec3854ebc.jpg?v=0
Interview and strokes up close http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DHvcC5TVj4

Strokes Close Up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyCvWE8Edpw
At 12 againts 75mph ball machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzKnaC0hBCA

DESCRIPTION

Deja began her tennis dream at age 3. Deja's father noticed that she was an exceptional athlete and that she had a special ball striking skill. He began to nurture Deja's talent. By age 4 Deja was practicing, watching film of the greats, and had began to carefully build her body to perform at an elite professional level. Although Deja was working to become a professional, her young parents were unable to afford standard coaching, or the expenses of playing a full junior schedule. As a result Deja played approximately 5 tournaments per year, a relatively low number of events. By age 10 Deja was strong enough to compete with older players, so the decision was tentatively made that Deja would play in the older age groups. Before moving to Florida from Northern California Deja had became a top 20 player in the 10s division, this was despite that fact that Deja played only a few tournaments. That year Deja also played in a few14s/16s events winning about half of her matches and placing in several. In Nov 2006 Deja's family moved to Florida so that Deja could play tennis year round, the Northern California winters were not ideal for tennis. On many occasions Deja and her father practiced in the rain or hit through the back of an SUV for target practice when the courts were too wet or if it was too cold for full practices. When Deja arrived in Florida she had just turned ten, and she had won 3 straight 10 year old tournaments(2 in California, and 1 in Georgia) Deja's father had heard a lot about Florida tennis and he wanted to see how Deja’s game compared to the girls her age in Florida. Deja was entered into a tournament located between two of Florida’s top academies Saddlebrook, and the Boliterri Academy. The family realized early on that Florida Tennis was booming. If Deja was to be a top ranked player in Florida she would have to play nearly 25 tournaments per year as all the other top ranked kids were doing. This simply wasn’t possible. Deja's father had to make a choice. Would Deja play a few 10 year old events(and be lower ranked regardless of outcome) and not learn much, or would she play a few 18 year old events and learn more. Deja was plenty strong enough, so the family decided that if Deja was to win her ten year old event against the academy kids in Florida, that she would then focus on the 18 year old age group and receive a higher quality learning. Deja in fact won the tournament(making it 4 in a row) without loosing a set. From that point on she played in predominantly 18 year old events with two or three 14 year old events sprinkled in along(3 years) the way. Deja has won half of her 18 year old matches, but at 13 she has recently made a breakthrough in the division winning her last two small 18 year old events. These were events that she would not have won the previous year. Deja has ran with the confidence, and has taken her game to even greater heights. She is now in heavy preparations for a National 18s and ITF schedule. Deja has blossomed into beautiful young lady, and awesome athlete. As a result of her fathers unconventional methods she is also a completely versatile, and unpredictable tennis player. At 13 Deja does it all from serve & volley, to chip & charge, slices, loops, and of course a Deja trade- mark power tennis. Deja's game does not resemble many up &coming players that you will see today, but let me assure you that she has every bit the consistency, talent, and athleticism. Since Justine Henin's retirement many feel that women’s tennis is lacking variety. I invite you to take a look at the videos of Deja a young lady who has dedicated her life to the game of tennis, and who is doing everything in her power to reach her goal of adding flare and variety into professional women’s tennis. Does the new school athlete with the old school game have what it takes to make it to the big time?

WowWow
Jul 24th, 2009, 03:25 AM
This is great!
So refreshing to watch.
Her serve is a bit weak, but she's still young and can improve a lot on that.

Go Deja!:bounce:

espntennis
Jul 24th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Why not just potential 13 year old american star?

I don't get some people's fascination with labels.

the jamierbelyea
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Her quirky game reminds me of Monica Niculescu's (although she's double handed). Just developing more power.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
weren't these posted a while ago?

she looks older than 12 too though :O im curious to see what she'll look like at 18 ^__^

Craig.
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:51 AM
OMG, I thought her name was actually Steffi Graf :hysteric: :tape:

Edinboro
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Im so slow, I actually thought her name was Steffi Graf haha ...

ArturoAce.
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Doesn't her dad have an account? :scratch:
he posted this stuff already i believe :)

Buitenzorg
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:58 AM
looks very average groud strokes to me? I know she can definitely developing :)

Wojtek
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM
it was posted a year ago and she isn't next Steffi Graf

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:27 AM
The way she sets up her serve reminds me a bit of Sprem...

LeonHart
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:30 AM
No offense but how many times do you have to post these videoes of your daughter :lol:

IMO, don't give your daughter too much pressure to be "great." Let her enjoy the game.

mckyle.
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:31 AM

Im so slow, I actually thought her name was Steffi Graf haha ...

OMG :bigcry:

tenn_ace
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:35 AM
sorry but I failed to see anything special even for a 13 y.o. And Steffi Graf? WTF?

tenn_ace
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:38 AM
her serve motion is awefull imo, but her dad is hot. I would totally do him.

drgray
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Well, I hope she can make it. Anyone know how her tourney results are? And pace on both strokes and serve will come with age, and height. Keep practicing and playing matches.

The Witch-king
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:15 AM

me too!

spencercarlos
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:28 AM
sorry but I failed to see anything special even for a 13 y.o. And Steffi Graf? WTF?
Me too.
Give the girl time, although her serva and backhand are not pretty tecnially, and neither her slice. But time will tell, she could be good, but certainly she is not ready right now.

Wojtek
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Me too.
Give the girl time, although her serva and backhand are not pretty tecnially, and neither her slice. But time will tell, she could be good, but certainly she is not ready right now.

Carlos, in Sopot we have 5 girls - 12 years olg who are better then her and they're nothing special.

skanky~skanketta
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:52 AM
To the OP: Why do you want her to be the next Steffi Graf? What I love most about the greats are that their games are so incredibly unique! Steffi had her weird ass technique and non-existent BH drive. Chris Evert had such uncanny accuracy especially off her backhand. Martina N had her fitness and incredible net-skills. Monica Seles was a double hander on both sides. Venus had that fastest serve and moved like a gazelle despite her height. Serena had probably the most powerful game. Justine had her variety. Martina H had her brains.

As the saying goes: Often imitated, but never duplicated.

Not saying I dont want Deja to be great, but I would prefer it if she wasn't a clone but had that something special that was her own!

Привет
Jul 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Her support crew are the only ones throwing around words like 'prodigy' and 'future great' at the moment.

She hits a ball okay, so do 500+ women on tour at the moment.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Nothing special. Just too much hype and no talent.

Alizé Molik
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Nothing special. Just too much hype and no talent.

yeah that website is a bit much - self proclaimed prodigy :confused:

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Can't say I'm all that impressed with her strokes. I think she's got real stroke production problems on both wings. I think that, on the tour, she'd be constantly late on the forehand side with HUGE, loopy motion.

Off the BH, I don't know what to say... :???: It's very... different.

frenchie
Jul 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Deja vu

Louis Cyphre
Jul 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
A little off topic but I was wondering what will happend if someone post "13 y.o. white american Steffi Graf" :scratch: Hundred of badreps ? :lol:
Anyway what make you think that this girl is a future star? I dont wanna be rude but I know at least 5 kids in my local tennis club that are better and they loose almost every match when they play at tournaments ...

Harvs
Jul 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM
ohh i got so excited, when i glanced over the title i thought it said "afrian steffi graf" instead of "african american steffi graf"

Ceri
Jul 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Nice game, but only time will tell, hope she survives her own hype.

muniu
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Deja vu :sad: :lol:

Привет
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Deja vu

:haha:

Mana
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I dont mean to be rude, but we have better 12 year old talent in New Zealand. And thats saying something.

But good luck to her :)

No Name Face
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Was I supposed to be impressed by that? She's not bad, but she seemed average to me.

Slutiana
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
:help: Just no. She's not that good, as people have said, her technique + shot production isn't good at all, it may work against her crappy dad but when she starts playing girls who will put pressure on her, her shots will just break down time and time again, and the serve is just weird. :help:

:crying2: and her second serve is just weirder, trying to hit a "95mph second serve" with that spin. :weirdo: Maybe the next demented? :help:

serenus_2k8
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Im all for encouraing your kids and so on, but this self-adoration is rather tiresome. Let the girl play, compete and enjoy the game. Please upload this sort of video when she wins a slam, or title, or even professional matches :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM
it looks like her farther, who posts this, truly believes in any publicity is a good publicity. I think they are looking for a sponsor.

fawnrc
Jul 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM
A little off topic but I was wondering what will happend if someone post "13 y.o. white american Steffi Graf" :scratch: Hundred of badreps ? :lol:
Anyway what make you think that this girl is a future star? I dont wanna be rude but I know at least 5 kids in my local tennis club that are better and they loose almost every match when they play at tournaments ...

I believe that your scenario should read "White Serena or Venus Williams". In either case neither are offensive. Just eye catching. Just a title to bring the reader into the thread. Not a big deal.

Polikarpov
Jul 24th, 2009, 12:40 PM
She moves lazily around the court.

Vanity Bonfire
Jul 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I can see what you mean about the dishy dad.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Doesn't her dad have an account? :scratch:
he posted this stuff already i believe :)
Looks like her dad has several accounts.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Well being that Steffi herself was white, I don't think one would need to make that distinction. That's like saying the next male Rodger Federer.

Golovinjured.
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM
LOL.

Comparing your daughter to Steffi Graf. :rolls: :haha: WTF! :spit:

tenn_ace
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I can see what you mean about the dishy dad.

and you think the serve motion is good?

twight6
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM
In the one point I watched from the YouTube videos, she was playing her dad.. It took her about 10 shots just to win the point :tape: against a guy who was just blocking them back.

Her slice is ugly.

mirzalover
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM
1. The girl is going to be beautiful when she gets older.
2. I think a college tennis is the best she can do. *Nothing wrong with that at all*

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:50 PM

:haha:

Temporary0369
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:53 PM
This girl's dad keeps posting videos of her telling us she's the next best thing. I don't get it. This is the fourth topic in a few months. Instead of seeing if we think she's amazing why not enter her in a few tournaments and see how she stacks up. Also, feeding her puff balls is not going to help improve her game, so if you really want her to succeed stop feeding her ego and start giving her the tools for success. She's still young so if you want her to succeed get her a real coach and whip her into shape. Fin.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
you guys are so mean :sad:

good luck to your daughter mr. kitchiner.

Temporary0369
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM
To be positive though her forehand has improved a lot between her 12 year old and 13 year old videos.
Should learn a traditional serve though because that looks like an injury waiting to happen.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Kournikova was named the next Steffi.

Calling a player that is the kiss of death for their career :lol:

DragonFlame
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hmm your daughter might be good but i really don't see how these video's are supposed to impress us or show us her game?

The guy who she's hitting with(her dad/you?) is mostly giving her loopy or halfcourt balls... I'm really not impressed by them. Give us GOOD videos, these look like they are trying to avoid her weaknesses on purpose... :o

What we people might wanna see is:

-Seeing her handle consistent flat strokes deep in the field
-Seeing a better video of her serving(her servicemotion looks awkward to me)
-The extreme grip on the backhand... In the video's i only saw her hitting 2 normal backhands... with a very painful grip i might add.
-Her slicebackhand falls very short or sits up, i saw it halfcourt pretty much the whole time.
-Can't judge the forehand well.. it looks good, but the stroke is loopy. So like i already said, i want to see her handle consistent flat strokes deep in the field.

iPatty
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Your daughter sucks, quit shoving her down everyone's throats.

Berlin_Calling
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
shes alright but shes no Alexus Jones!!

Dodoboy.
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Your daughter sucks, quit shoving her down everyone's throats.

That's quite rude!

Your talking about his daughter :speakles:

Some are just being RUTHLESS on this thread. I didn't watch the videos, or the pics - so there is a CHOICE being provided here.

LeonHart
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:57 PM
That's quite rude!

Some are just being RUTHLESS on this thread. I didn't watch the videos, or the pics - so there is a CHOICE being provided here.

They're rude because this is like the 10th thread on this girl :lol:

And the dad doesn't post anything else other than videos on his daughter which is kind of creepy :help:

LCS
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM
:help:

ZODIAC
Jul 24th, 2009, 05:48 PM
dont be hard on her she is developing her game and when she reaches say 18yrs thats when we will be able to judge if she is good or not,some kids develop slowly some fast so her time will come.

Dodoboy.
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM
They're rude because this is like the 10th thread on this girl :lol:

And the dad doesn't post anything else other than videos on his daughter which is kind of creepy :help:

Maybe i'm less fed up because this is literally the first time i've seen or heard of Steffi :lol:

2Black
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I love the video where the guys tells Deja what SERENA would have done differently. Now, that's what I'm talking 'bout!!!

Deja, I am rooting for you. Mr. T, I hope & pray your daughter has a phenomenal career. NOW GET THAT SERVE TOGETHER and some more power to go along with all that variety. LET'S GO!!!

tenn_ace
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
you guys are so mean :sad:

good luck to your daughter mr. kitchiner.

but what should he expect by making such bold statements? ppl agreeing to it????

tenn_ace
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I love the video where the guys tells Deja what SERENA would have done differently. Now, that's what I'm talking 'bout!!!

Deja, I am rooting for you. Mr. T, I hope & pray your daughter has a phenomenal career. NOW GET THAT SERVE TOGETHER and some more power to go along with all that variety. LET'S GO!!!

may I ask you why you are rooting for her? of course, there is nothing wrong with it - just curious what turned you into her fan

Temporary0369
Jul 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
That's quite rude!

Everyone is someone's daugther and that's never stopped anyone on this board from tearing players apart. The fact that he reads the comments doesn't make it any more reprehensible.

Sure, some of the words aren't kind but if we all strain to see the positive it's going to be hard for this girl-oranyonebeingfedunwarrantedcompliments-to progress and become better.

2Black
Jul 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
may I ask you why you are rooting for her? of course, there is nothing wrong with it - just curious what turned you into her fan

Don't write things that are not there tenn_ace! Where in my post does it say I am a fan?

LeRoy.
Jul 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
By making such comparisons these people are just settiing thesmelves up for dissapointment and ridicule.

tenn_ace
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Don't write things that are not there tenn_ace! Where in my post does it say I am a fan?

2Black, you said you will be rooting for her? what does it make you? :shrug:

Joana
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I thought this girl would have amazing footwork, really big forehand and long, pointy nose. She has none.

I mean, she can certainly keep improving. But labeling her the "new Steffi Graf" is not going to help her.

Leo_DFP
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Her strokes definitely have technique flaws - especially her backhand. But the amount of topspin on her forehand at her age is impressive. Her strokes have big wind-ups, and I'd predict her to be a better clay court player than fast court player.

We'll see what happens to her! I hate when young girls or boys are forced to live up to unbelievable pressure and hype. It's too soon for her to have her own website, but that's my humble opinion.

Michael.
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
She reminds me of Ahsha Rolle .

Martian KC
Jul 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm really not impressed. Sorry.

nfl46
Jul 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Her serve is not good. She's very young, so that can be worked on.

faboozadoo15
Jul 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM
1. The girl is going to be beautiful when she gets older.
2. I think a college tennis is the best she can do. *Nothing wrong with that at all*

Co-sign. She's cute and plays some nice tennis.

The Dawntreader
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:03 PM
The William sisters had already started developing match-winning strokes at her age.

She doesn't seem to have that champion's quirk in her game. Will be a formidable college player no doubt though.

djul14
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:07 PM
At least the girl has one thing in common with Steffi : a strange dad...

Kworb
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Watch the 1994 Wimbledon Junior SF Hingis vs Kournikova to see what a talented 13 year old looks like.

faboozadoo15
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM

:spit: How obtuse!

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Watch the 1994 Wimbledon Junior SF Hingis vs Kournikova to see what a talented 13 year old looks like.

is it on youtube?

Kenny
Jul 24th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Love it! She's gonna be great.

Kworb
Jul 25th, 2009, 12:01 AM
is it on youtube?

No :sad:

I'll make highlights and upload it there this weekend

Williamsser
Jul 25th, 2009, 12:04 AM
The father is pimping the daughter.

Slutati
Jul 25th, 2009, 12:07 AM
LOL @ the shameless dad.

RenaSlam.
Jul 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM
You've posted this shit like 10 times already in GM.

miffedmax
Jul 25th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I already told my stupid brat I'm kicking his ass out of the house if he hasn't won a major by the time he's 18. But at least I haven't done it in a public tennis forum with thousands of readers.

Oh shit. :mad:

Slutati
Jul 25th, 2009, 12:20 AM
You've posted this shit like 10 times already in GM.
Seriously. I remember when she was a little girl who plays like Bjorn Borg. :lol:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM
No :sad:

I'll make highlights and upload it there this weekend

thank you!

Serenita
Jul 25th, 2009, 01:45 AM
she needs to get some power and speed around the court.
fix the serve and start hitting into the ball. wish her all the best.

V-MAC
Jul 25th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I don't like all this hype about young aspiring tennis stars. Just let them be:mad: I saw the Pitt sisters on Ellen's show last week (I know it was broadcasted in October last year in the states, we get everything late here:o ) but I just thought it was wrong to be hyping these girls as huge stars already when they are still so young.

Tennisation
Jul 25th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I only saw the first clip but does she not know how to hit a forehand down the line? :o

debopero
Jul 25th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Omg you guys are way o harsh :tape: . I understand that these threads about her are annoying but can YOU imagine reading this if you were in her shoes, regardless of age? Just ignore the thread if the topic annoys you so much.

ZODIAC
Jul 25th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I remember watching these Arab girls with their father on the Tyra Show,they had a sob story about sleeping in a car and in comes Miss Venus and I think she donated two months rent.I always wonder what ever happened to the three girls and if Vee ever made a followup just to check on them.

Kworb
Jul 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM
thank you!

Here you go

AKbWbjRQPWQ

This is 13-year-old Hingis vs. 13-year-old Kournikova.

The commentators talk non-stop, it's ridiculous. :o I hope you can see the ball.

tenn_ace
Jul 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Here you go

AKbWbjRQPWQ

The commentators talk non-stop, it's ridiculous. :o I hope you can see the ball.

the commentators are talking nonstop because it was shown many years later as a classic and they are talking about Anna why she hasn't done more later on a pro tour

Cam'ron Giles
Jul 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Her racket prep is poor...

Kworb
Jul 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM
the commentators are talking nonstop because it was shown many years later as a classic and they are talking about Anna why she hasn't done more later on a pro tour

Ahh that makes sense.

LeonHart
Jul 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Here you go

AKbWbjRQPWQ

:lol:

They had the coldest handshake ever.

tennisbuddy12
Jul 26th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I remember watching these Arab girls with their father on the Tyra Show,they had a sob story about sleeping in a car and in comes Miss Venus and I think she donated two months rent.I always wonder what ever happened to the three girls and if Vee ever made a followup just to check on them.

Eslami sisters...2 of them played a few events this year in Europe but no success. I think there all planning on going to college idk though

shoparound
Jul 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
She's a 2 star recruit
http://tennisrecruiting.net/player.asp?sessionid=3D75E5D03E115BF6
Look up Deja Kitchiner

So not exactly the best or phenomenal for her age group, but better than most. So unless they start working on her techniques and make them more traditional, it's small college tennis for her.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Here you go

AKbWbjRQPWQ

perfect quality. thanks so much kworb. i'm watching it on mute.

Polikarpov
Jul 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Seriously, why is she serving using a western grip? :help:

DKitchiner
Jul 27th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I am Deja's father you believe what you will, but if you watch the video of Hingis, and Ana above and tell me that they are half the athlete of Deja you are insane. Deja is the type of athlete who has athleticism that allows her to be different, some basic fundamentals must be correct(contact point) after that she is allowed to be an artist(mauresmo). She has a pro male hitting partner who is making his way to the ATP tour, he has no question that Deja's ball, and movement are world class even now. As stated we learned with the resources we had. Out of pure will she has learned to hit it consistently, and at over 100mph, also she can it it anywhere she wants. I could have played her in her age group and tried to boost her rankings, instead I bought the best equipment played her in a few 18's and we reallly studied how the 18 year olds beat her. This year it prooves she payed attention as she has won her last two smaller 18 year old events, events she struggled with last year. When you have limited resources you do what you feel is best. Tennis recruiting rankings are great, but they dont account for people playing in different age groups, or limited schedules. Not exactly sure of Deja's 8th grade ranking but it should be low, she has played in only four 14 year old tournaments in her life. Instead Deja is learning how to beat professionals, the videos posted are just me and my kid having fun.Well limited resources are a thing of the pass, and Deja will be playing 18's nationals, so expect to see those national junior points that you are so worried about climb, after that she will begin playing a few smaller pro events that we have lined up. I dont know if its possible to judge Deja with traditional views she doesnt have traditional training, or strokes. Is she consistent, yes, does she have power yes, does he have variety yes, Is her serve consistent and powerful yes.. Deja in a nutshell is will, art, athleticism and belief, we will see how far that takes her. if you watch the match footage serving you will see that she serves at a very high percentage with plenty pop, spin, and location, does she have to serve like you, with those results? Legends often build and break the mold, we will see

*hingis_forever*
Jul 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I am Deja's father you believe what you will, but if you watch the video of Hingis, and Ana above and tell me that they are half the athlete of Deja you are insane. Deja is the type of athlete who has athleticism that allows her to be different, some basic fundamentals must be correct(contact point) after that she is allowed to be an artist(mauresmo). She has a pro male hitting partner who is making his way to the ATP tour, he has no question that Deja's ball, and movement are world class even now. As stated we learned with the resources we had. Out of pure will she has learned to hit it consistently, and at over 100mph, also she can it it anywhere she wants. I could have played her in her age group and tried to boost her rankings, instead I bought the best equipment played her in a few 18's and we reallly studied how the 18 year olds beat her. This year it prooves she payed attention as she has won her last two smaller 18 year old events, events she struggled with last year. When you have limited resources you do what you feel is best. Tennis recruiting rankings are great, but they dont account for people playing in different age groups, or limited schedules. Not exactly sure of Deja's 8th grade ranking but it should be low, she has played in only four 14 year old tournaments in her life. Instead Deja is learning how to beat professionals, the videos posted are just me and my kid having fun.Well limited resources are a thing of the pass, and Deja will be playing 18's nationals, so expect to see those national junior points that you are so worried about climb, after that she will begin playing a few smaller pro events that we have lined up. I dont know if its possible to judge Deja with traditional views she doesnt have traditional training, or strokes. Is she consistent, yes, does she have power yes, does he have variety yes, Is her serve consistent and powerful yes.. Deja in a nutshell is will, art, athleticism and belief, we will see how far that takes her. if you watch the match footage serving you will see that she serves at a very high percentage with plenty pop, spin, and location, does she have to serve like you, with those results? Legends often build and break the mold, we will see
I'm sure most people on this forum hope your daughter will do well, but don't even compare her to Hingis, or even Kournikova for that matter. And honestly, it's good for her to occasionally play older girls, but believe me, there are some VERY talented girls her age who would be more than a match for her, judging by her results. I just feel like you're rushing her a bit. Anyway, good luck to her in the future!

auntie janie
Jul 28th, 2009, 12:32 AM

:rolls:
Something tells me this isn't the reaction he was hoping for. ;)

DKitchiner
Jul 29th, 2009, 01:40 AM
What reaction is that. The early readers appreciate her variety, and some dont its life. I know what Deja is and like I said we will just have to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DHvcC5TVj4

jusluvinjrtennis
Jul 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
What reaction is that. The early readers appreciate her variety, and some dont its life. I know what Deja is and like I said we will just have to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DHvcC5TVj4

Thats exactly the point that everyone is trying to make. "Well have to just see." That part is ok, its the unfounded claims that you are making that cause everyone to be so harsh. Because frankly the videos and her record DO NOT reflect signs of greatness at all. I realize too that you said that you have limited resources so perhaps your limited exposure is causing you to see Deja differently. Go to a 12's or a 14's super national semis/finals and you'll see 11, 12, 13 year olds that are awesome. Also - you just post videos of her hitting from a ball machine and wall. Put here in an 18's super series against someone that is even moderately ranked, not those small local 18s that Deja beat that can't play - she's 13 - get her on the court with bigger players, film the match and post it. We want to see how she plays under pressure, not against her Dad.

Polikarpov
Jul 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Give us some videos of Deja playing against girls her age, or older. And perhaps some videos of her in tournaments? Then we could have a good assessment of her game. I agree that you're rushing your daughter a bit. Why is she learning how to beat professionals this early? Isn't she supposed to be focusing on learning how to beat players her age first?

DKitchiner
Jul 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
First off i'm not comparing my daughter to Hingis, Im saying that my daughter is a far better athlete than Hingis. Athleticism does not make a tennis player it merely helps. The more athletic the more different you can(not should) be and still thrive. Hingis was great because she played a very intelligent game, had tremendous racquet preparation, and defense. In response to the last fellow. Deja was physically dominant on the 10's this was the last time she played in her natural age group. She was athletic, and strong enough to win roughly half of her matches as a 10, 11& 12 year old against 18 year old competition in Florida. For Deja to win consistently she had to let go of her power mindset, and learn to structure points against the older competition. Anyone who knows anything about Florida tennis knows that local, challenger, and super series are the same competition its all girls trying to find their games in preparation for sectionals, designated's, nationals, If's, and pro's. In fact check Deja's youtube page if you wish, there is footage of her playing(age 12) in a local event(non super series) where there was an ITF junior player, and an actual professional using the local event as a warm up between ITF's, and professional events. Deja was lucky enough to face one of them, and she held her won. More importantly she was not overpowered, and she got to see first hand how a professional would play her. We used the event to help shape Deja's professional style. The question has with Deja has always been shot selection. As is typical with players who are talented enough to play an all-court style they are confused, because the fact is that Deja could play any number of styles and still win. She has beaten 18 year old competition doing nothing but serve and volley, and then she has beaten 18 year old competition playing exclusively Steffi Graf style. I challenged her to try these things in competition, so that she would have faith with any style in case she needed a particular style in an important match later on as a professional. So do you understand that junior ranking has never been important, continuing to develop Deja has been. This is why we experimented with such things while Deja is a junior its all in the name of development. Other parents and kids may treat junior ranking as if their lives depend on it, not us. This is why when Deja won her last two smaller 18 year old events I decided to keep her from local, challenger, or super series level. She has learned to attack the weakness of players with her variety, power, and speed. Now its time for 18 year old nationals, thankfully she has received funding and will be allowed to continue developing against great competition. I promise you, she will reach and exceed that level of competition soon, and from there she will enter small professional tournaments

DKitchiner
Jul 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Sorry I dont have any of her playing in her won age. I can only tell you that at age 10 when we moved from California to Florida. I tried her in her own age againts the top academy kids(because the reputation was great)I wanted to see how she compared before moving her up. She won the full field tournament her first time on clay without loosing a set. That year she won 4 or 5 straight tournaments in California, Georgia, and Florida without loosing a set. She had been building her body and working on her skill since she was 3. She was stromg enough to play 18's, her own age was easy for her, why not show her that tennis wasnt going to be easy when she was older? The best I can do is a video of when she got to play the ITF's player at age 12. She learned alot this day. Its shows her agressive nature that had to be calmed a bit, thats what she learned this day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=827_VOqfUUY

canuckfan
Aug 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
She should play against Alexus Jones.

Exact same back-story: Supposedly strong athletes, closed-door training, beating 18 years old at 12, hyped on this board by their dad, etc...

Dani12
Aug 22nd, 2009, 02:50 AM
Pff :lol: My brother mentioned her to me and he doesn't even watch tennis. Don't know how he stumbled across this video. Was expecting better.

jj74
Aug 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
She (and Alexus) better be good, because USA has great prospect of their age like Sachia Vickery, Madison Keys, Vicky Duval or Brooke Austin, and all have international results to prove their level

fouc
May 27th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I've just read that this hilariously overhyped girls is gonna play US Open National Playoffs Qualifying in a few days? Any news on this event?
http://www.usatennisflorida.usta.com/Global/News/News/2010_04/Kitchiner.aspx