PDA

View Full Version : Richard Williams endorses Jarka!!

OZTENNIS
Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:55 AM
From The Australian:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25690805-5010361,00.html

RICHARD Williams watched his daughter Serena thump Australian Jarmila Groth yesterday and then declared that 22-year-old Groth would soon be "kicking a lot of arse" in international tennis.
"I was really impressed by her, quite surprised really," Williams told The Australian after Serena prevailed 6-2 6-1 before 10,000 people on Court One at Wimbledon.
"I don't know when I last saw anyone hit a backhand that well and I just loved her attitude," said Williams, whose role in shaping Serena and her sister Venus into the two dominant women players of the past decade makes him the most successful coach in today's game.
"She's just got a couple of little things that she needs to work on but no, I don't want to help her by saying what they are because I'm telling you right now, she is going to be a serious player and I think my girls will be playing her again. She moves very well and what I really liked was that even when she had problems with her service and her forehand, she was still very patient with herself, so it's just a matter of time before she starts kicking a lot of arse."
The glowing assessment from Williams was later endorsed by Nick Bollettieri, the veteran coach, who said: "Richard is an amazingly perceptive analyst of tennis players, so when he is impressed by a player, it means something."
A self-taught coach from a tough part of Los Angeles, Williams's achievement in teaching and guiding his daughters overshadows the entire output of the US's official coaching and talent development system.
Apart from his daughters, who have won seven of the last nine Wimbledon titles, the next highest ranking US woman is 57th-placed Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who was beaten in the first round this week by Australia's Samantha Stosur and is likely to plunge about 30 places in the rankings because of her inability to match her fourth-round finish at Wimbledon last year.
Serena admitted earlier this week that she did not even recognise Groth's name but after yesterday's second-round match she said the Australian had not allowed her to take anything for granted.
"I thought I played really well," Serena said. "I knew she was gonna be tough, so I was like, 'OK, I have to be ready for the match'."
The straight-sets scoreline hid the fact that Groth's adventurous ground strokes often left the 10-time Grand Slam winner stranded, even losing her footing at times as she scrambled after Groth's ferocious cross-court backhands.
But the Australian let herself down by pushing the boundaries of her own serving ability in the fear that Serena would pounce on anything that was less than tremendous.
"You are always under constant pressure to keep going for more and more," Groth said later, explaining the way champions can intimidate their opponents into errors.
Instead of serving above her normal standard, the Slovakian-born Melbourne resident produced a fatal blizzard of double faults.
Thirty of her 58 first serves were astray, and 10 times she followed up with a double fault. Serving at 2-5 in the first set Groth produced three double faults to hand the set to the American.
Groth has never beaten a top-30 player, but her first-round win over 48th ranked Lucie Safarova will see her own ranking rise from 69 to a career-high somewhere in the high 50s.

Ben.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:42 AM
Nice read, I'm sure it won't be long before Jarka breaks into the Top 50.

Daniel.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Very interesting. I'm under the impression that it is very rare for Richard to say anything slightly nice about anyone other than Venus and Serena. This must be very flattering for her.

I doubt anything will come of this in terms of coaching offers.

Golovinjured.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
She hits the ball SO hard, when it goes in - it'd be hard for ANYBODY to get it back.