PDA

View Full Version : Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

HTE
Aug 7th, 2004, 10:14 PM
This to celebrate that the very promising Danish talent Caroline Wozniacki won her first Danish senior championship today, the youngest ever player to do so.

Go Caroline and congratulations on your first title!

This picture is an older one, but it was the best I had as no pictures from the Danish Championships have appeared yet.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9022/01010042gu5.jpg

Frode
Jul 9th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Volume 2 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=335296)

New volum for the lovely Caroline:)

Jorn
Jul 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Some good news to start the new Thread! :)

Caroline Wozniacki def. Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 7-5, 7-6(4)

As I expected a tough win today!

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Again Caroline didn't play up to her best, and a lot of the match Kirileko played well and was hitting the line.
You can see that in the score 7-5 7-6(4) after all the breaks back and forth Caroline was jusr getting the the right balls at the right time.
Not the most exciting tennis to watch.

A curiosity.
If Malmö FF (a Swedish soccer (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=335296&page=204#) club) hadn't said no to Piotr in the 80's so he ended up playing for B1909 in Odense, she would be playing on a Swedish licence instead of a Danish.
According to Extra Bladet.DK the Swedes are moaning about that again. :devil:

poulao
Jul 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM
It was a werry good match, exactly the match Caro needed to get tested and get going. Hope Maria keeps it up, she is playing some good tennis. She just failed on the line :worship:. Caro must have caught the winning habit :).

Dinayer
Jul 9th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Caro :worship:
keep it up :yeah:

C. W. Fields
Jul 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Caro says the wind made playing conditions difficult, and the rain break probably didn't help, either.

But she won and that's what counts. Dulko yet again survived MPs and knocked out second seed Cibulkova. Third seed Pennetta will now play Kudryavtseva and Caro will face the winner.

Protoss
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Why is Caro playing so poorly in Bastad? Is it the pressure of defending her title (last year this tournament was Stockholm), is it nerves from wanting to do well in front of her home crowd, mental or physical fatigue?

SweTennis
Jul 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Again Caroline didn't play up to her best, and a lot of the match Kirileko played well and was hitting the line.
You can see that in the score 7-5 7-6(4) after all the breaks back and forth Caroline was jusr getting the the right balls at the right time.
Not the most exciting tennis to watch.

A curiosity.
If Malmö FF (a Swedish soccer (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=335296&page=204#) club) hadn't said no to Piotr in the 80's so he ended up playing for B1909 in Odense, she would be playing on a Swedish licence instead of a Danish.
According to Extra Bladet.DK the Swedes are moaning about that again. :devil:

Stupid MFF (it's my favorite team). I am moaning that now. ;)

Jorn
Jul 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Stupid MFF (it's my favorite team). I am moaning that now. ;)
Did you watch Caro-Maria today and can say who played well? in GM ppl say Maria did play very well, but Caro won so she may have played better! :)

SweTennis
Jul 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Did you watch Caro-Maria today and can say who played well? in GM ppl say Maria did play very well, but Caro won so she may have played better! :)

Yes, I watched it live in Båstad. Well, Caro was better and won. Both of them played well and it was a good match to watch, but Caro was stronger. She plays more aggresive now than for a couple of months ago, so it's funnier to watch her matches now, but she has to step her game up to win the title. Only one thing was boring and it was when Maria (not Caro!) started to hit moon balls and Caro did the same, so the rally constisted of moon balls. But Caro won the most of them. :)

Protoss
Jul 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM
You didn't rewatch it yet Jorn?

Jorn
Jul 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Its on here again at midnight Re-Live.

But today I watch more closely the match and even Caro can play better ithink both did play well.

But tomorrow against Flavia she need to play VERY well again!

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Caroline has played much better earlier this year.
I cannot remember the exact names of the matches, some of which I saw, and I havn't time to research it, but here in this house we are convinced.
Just remember the match where she had 12 aces. Things like getting aces on second serves some times. ETC ETC.
I think some of it is the change back to clay, i think she mentioned it herself.
She also said that whatever the ranks or form or some such, when you went went out on the court you had 50% chance.

Watching the news video of her training boxing in Copenhagen, I was struck by the serious way she went at it, and the trainer said that he immediately could tell she was a professional athlete, she went at it completely focused just as a pro boxer would.
Then in a pre Kirilenko match TV report from TV2 Sporten .DK about the they showed her training in a garden in Bastad with the trainer, in the evening after she had played.
This made me think that (and this is just my OWN thoughts) maybe she was a bit tired of tennis what with playing so much this year, and the fact that things were standing still for her right now. She has achieved her goal for 2009 allready, she is in the top 10. She only got to R4 at Wimbledon and I think they hoped for QF at least. And she needs to start beating top 10 people to get higher.
Maybe this boxing thing is a way of doing other stuff away from tennis, but still keeping fit and strong.

Looking back at what I have written I hope people can follow it.

Anyway after Bastad, I hope the 3 weeks without tournaments and the combined training/holiday Piotr talked about, she will come back with renewed energy, accuracy and geist.

Protoss
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Its on here again at midnight Re-Live.

But today I watch more closely the match and even Caro can play better ithink both did play well.

But tomorrow against Flavia she need to play VERY well again!
With all due respect, if Caro is playing well I don't think she should be needing Maria to choke in order to win.

poulao
Jul 10th, 2009, 08:08 AM
It would be nice to hear somthing from Caro her self, how she feels about it all. To me it seems like her serve was a bit of, so she had to deal with strong vs weak returns. But when they where pusshing or slogging, she often came first with the attack. She tryed to defend her serve, by hitting weaker first serves etc. She was thinking and trying, I think her dad called her 'Caro' instead of 'Karoline', so she was not going negative. It probably was up hill the whole match.

Jorn
Jul 10th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Caro won 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 today! :)

Her 10th WTA Finale a good birthday present she give herself, she's 19 year young tomorrow... :)

Congrats Caro!

Endru.
Jul 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Tomorrow Caro's birthday! :D

Fingers crossed harder for final then :yeah:

SweTennis
Jul 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Well done Caro! Good luck in the final tomorrow.

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Caroline didn't look tired of tennis at all today !!! So much for my idea.
She played much much more aggressive, accurate and focussed.
Which was good, as while she steared the play she beat Pennetta, but as in the 2nd set she relaxed a bit, Pennetta got her game working and was a real threat.
I think this was the real final, as the tennis in this match was so much better than in the 1st semi.
Now I an really looking forward too seeing Caroline play Martinez-Sanchez tommorrow.
Caroline must be a big favorite. The online bookies have it at 1.2 to 4 to Caroline.

Jorn
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:01 PM
It will be a bad idea to underestimate MJMS in the Finale tomorrow, she's good on clay.

Wozniacki respekterer spansk modstander

Tennisspilleren Caroline Wozniacki håber på en finalesejr i fødselsdagsgave ved Swedish Open, men hun har stor respekt for sin spanske finalemodstander

Caroline Wozniacki var naturligt nok i højt humør efter semifinalen ved WTA-turneringen Swedish Open mod italieneren Flavia Pennetta.

- Det var en fin kamp med mange gode dueller. Flavia er en god spiller, så jeg er godt tilfreds med sejren, siger den danske tennisstjerne efter sejren i tre sæt over verdensranglistens nummer 15.

Caroline Wozniacki møder i finalen lørdag den useedede spanier Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez, som blot er nummer 54 i verden. Alligevel har Caroline Wozniacki stor respekt for modstanderen, som hun aldrig har mødt før, og som skal forsøge at forhindre danskeren i at tage sin sjette WTA-titel på sin 19-års-fødselsdag.

- Jeg har set hende et par gange, men har aldrig mødt hende før. Hun spiller klogt taktisk, kommer frem til nettet og laver mange stopbolde. Det ville da være en god fødselsdagsgave, hvis jeg vinder i morgen, men det er det også bare at være i finalen, siger Caroline Wozniacki.

Good Luck Caro! :)

jasminefu623
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Happy Birthday caro!!
wish you all the best in the final!!

C. W. Fields
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I agree MJMS shouldn't be underestimated. She has some good results on clay this year; she won the Bogota tn. and in Rome she beat Mauresmo, Bartoli and Petrova before losing in three sets against Safina. At FO she also took Serena to three sets. Still, if Caro plays near her best she should win and give herself a nice birthday present :)

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I Caroline playing an exhibition in Poland in the Autumn???

Family visit?
Piotr
Not only. I hit on an idea to organize an exhibition tournament in autumn, most likely in Legnica. I came to arrange it.

From an interesting article I have posted in "Articles and Interviews"

CLICK HERE Interesting Article From Polish Newspaper With Piotr
(http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=16048058&postcount=41)

Jorn
Jul 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.carolinewozniacki.net/bday.gif
-
http://www.jhscoins.dk/images/carowozniackibastad.jpg

Linoller
Jul 11th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Happy birthday Caro! :bounce: Good luck in the final :).

kman
Jul 11th, 2009, 05:30 AM
happy b-day Caro

now give yourself a nice present and win the final :)

MsPaula
Jul 11th, 2009, 05:41 AM
:wavey:happy b-day Caro

now give yourself a nice present and win the final :)

Happy Birthday, Caro! Go out and win yourself a birthday title!

poulao
Jul 11th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Congratulations on youre 19 birth day. :armed: Go for it :crazy: and then :aparty:

Caipirinha Guy
Jul 11th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Happy birthday! :banana:

I heard from Agnieszka that Radwańskas are going to celebrate with Caro. They will go to Britney Spears' concert in Copenhague tonight. :D

SweTennis
Jul 11th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Happy birthday, Caro! The best birthday present would be the title, so go out and take it! :)

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 11th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Pity we can't all be at Båstad and sing Happy Birthday when she wins the title.
First we:drive: then we:hatoff:then we watch:tennis: maybe it :umbrella: then she wins:bigclap: we :singer: :bdaycake: then its :aparty: :drink: :clap2: :dance::music::yippee:until:bigwave:

Andreas
Jul 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Tillykke med fødselsdagen, Caroline :D

Effy
Jul 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Happy Birthday, Caro. Hope you win today :bounce:

Andreas
Jul 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Happy birthday! :banana:

I heard from Agnieszka that Radwańskas are going to celebrate with Caro. They will go to Britney Spears' concert in Copenhague tonight. :D

Yes, she invited 23 friends or something :eek:
I will be there too :lol:

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM
That was a pity.

jasminefu623
Jul 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
caro is not playing well today, and i think she just want to leave the court as soon as she can, may be she just want to get out and enjoy her day?

Dodoboy.
Jul 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Happy Birthday anyways :D

Protoss
Jul 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM
It seems Caro has regressed this year instead of improving. :( 50% of her losses (7/14) have been to players ranked outside the top 30 as opposed to 24% last year (5/21). Last year she went 3-1 in finals, this year she's now 2-4. :(

MsPaula
Jul 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
:sad:Happy Birthday anyways :D

Oh, not a good result on her birthday but now she can go out and enjoy her real life with her friends. Happy 19th birthday, Caro! Have fun at the concert!

Jorn
Jul 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
MJMS won, she did not want to give away any bday gifts today.

Caro just can't beat serve and wolly players...and was unable to reach Maria Jose's many dropshots. :sad:

Now Caro will rest in 3 weeks, we'll see how she does in the US Hartcourt season...

C. W. Fields
Jul 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Well, I was right; Sanchez was not to be underestimated. I only saw the last part of the match, but it seems like Caro was outsmarted; drop shot on serve, charging to the net on a moon ball (that one shouldn't have taken Caro by surprise, she used the same trick against Safina) and other shots took Caro by surprise. But what disappointed me most was Caro's attitude. Playing badly is one thing, but playing unintelligently and with a negative air is even worse.
For instance in the last game at 0-30 and second serve Caro has a chance for tripple BPs, but even though Sanches has just hit two errors and is clearly nervous Caro doesn't try to maintain the flow and outplay her opponent. She needlessly goes for a wild try at a winning return down the line, a 50-50 shot that missed this time and Sanchez is back on top.
Another bad example is in the game at 4-3 second set. Caro hits a winning return but the machine says the serve touched the net and new serve. And Caro starts complaining to the umpire. So foolish. Complaining is a waste of energy and breaks your concentration, and furthermore Caro knew perfectly well before the match that the machine was unreliable but complaining about it wouldn't do any good. It left me with the same impression as the bump in incident with Lisicki at Wimbledon; that Caro has a tendency to be whiney when things go badly. Not only is that bad for her but it's also a help for her opponent. It's like saying to the other player; "I'm frustrated and you're going to win the match".
Caro's physical game has some flaws which we're all aware of, but I think she really needs to work on her attitude and mental strength as well. Great champions have the ability to put past misgrievances out of their mind and focus only on the point being played. A player like Bjørn Borg was nicknamed 'Ice-Borg' because of his ability to stay calm under tremendous pressure and fought to the last point. In Caro's case you can often tell well before the last point that she's going to lose. Ok, she's only just turned 19 and it's not exactly uncommon for a teenager to handle adversity badly, but I really hope she's going to work on her attitude in the future. I want to be able to look at Caro just 1 game away from defeat and read in her face "I'm gonna f***ing win this match!".

All finals disappointment aside it wasn't a bad tournament. And happy birthday, Caro :smooch::bdaycake:

JadeFox
Jul 11th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah kind of a sucky way to start your birthday. :(

Still, I wish her a very happy birthday and hopefully it can still be a fun one for her. :aparty: :bdaycake:

Protoss
Jul 11th, 2009, 06:57 PM
MJMS won, she did not want to give away any bday gifts today.

Caro just can't beat serve and wolly players...and was unable to reach Maria Jose's many dropshots. :sad:

Now Caro will rest in 3 weeks, we'll see how she does in the US Hartcourt season...
Caro did beat Stosur who's a serve and volleyer on grass and I think Date Krumm serve and volleyed a lot. :shrug:

So what's the deal with being unable to deal with the drop shots? Poor court positioning, poor movement, just unable to read them at all? If your opponent is using the drop shot a lot, shouldn't you get a clue about it and be anticipating it?

Protoss
Jul 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Caro's 2nd serve seems a lot less effective on clay. In 9 singles matches this year on grass, Caro won 54% or more of points on her 2nd serve in 7 out of 9 matches. In the 5 singles matches in Bastad she only did that twice, her 1st two singles matches.

What the heck happened to Caro's 1st serve in the 2nd set? She finished at only 44% of her 1st serves in for the 2nd set and for quite awhile it was in the low to mid 30%s. :(

Martinez Sanchez only got 44% of her matches in for the match yet she won. This shouldn't be happenening unless Caro plays a truely great player. For instance, Serena won 6-2 6-3 against Azarenka getting only 46% of her 1st serves in and Henin in particular comes times to mind with a lot of times getting under 50% of her 1st serves in but winning.

Martinez Sanchez won 59% of her 2nd serves against Caro. In her previous 4 matches at Bastad, she won : 53%, 50%, 39%, and 43%. It just seems like to me that Caro's opponents this year have often achieved some best for the tournament serving stat against her.

Protoss
Jul 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Happy birthday Caro!!! :)

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Again, pity she lost. But thats life.
It seems the Danish fans sang Danish birthday songs for her when she was out and warm up with Cirstea before the match. Nice one.
She plays next in Los Angeles 3rd August.
The other day Piotr said the 3 weeks would be hard training including the boxing.

poulao
Jul 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Caro seems happy, unconcerned with her game is so-so. Three weeks of 'vacation' can be a long time for a teenager. She does not appear to be in a valley of despair. :D

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Caroline.......... "They will be spent on physical training and to rediscovering the hunger which is needed to be in top tennis"

A quote from an article/interview I have posted in Aticles and Interviews.

Here 16056254

poulao
Jul 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Caroline.......... "They will be spent on physical training and to rediscovering the hunger which is needed to be in top tennis"

Here 16056254

Tank you for the article ;)

MsPaula
Jul 13th, 2009, 02:46 AM
:wavey:Caroline.......... "They will be spent on physical training and to rediscovering the hunger which is needed to be in top tennis"

Here 16056254

Hi everyone! Does anyone know if Caro will be spending time in Las Vegas at Gil Reyes Adidas camp during her three week hiatus?

Protoss
Jul 13th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Eeep...Caro has now played 29 tournaments in the last 52 weeks. :scared:

Caro has played in the final of 38% (11/29) of the tournaments she's played in over the past year. :) She's made the finals of 64% (7/11) of the international or lower tournaments (the actual international tournaments plus the former tier III and tier IV tournaments and the challenger tournament Odense). :) She's made the final of 22% (4/18) of the premier or greater tournaments (the actual premier, premier 5, and premier mandatory tournaments plus the former tier II and I tournaments and the grand slams she's played). Caro is 3-3 in "international" tournament finals and 2-2 in "premier" tournament finals.

Despite 5 titles and 4 finals in her "best 16" ranking, Caro is only ranked #9. :(

Her 16th best result is 200 points which means that at non-mandatory tournaments she isn't defending points at she has to do the following to gain points: win international tournaments, make the final of premier tournaments, and/or make the semis of premier 5 tournaments.

If Caro had made the 4th round at the Australian Open and French Open, she would be ranked #8 right now. If she had made the quarters of the last 4 slams she played, she would be ranked #7 right now, just 20 points from #6.

Protoss
Jul 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM
:wavey:

Hi everyone! Does anyone know if Caro will be spending time in Las Vegas at Gil Reyes Adidas camp during her three week hiatus?
I haven't heard anything about that. She's supposed to be doing some boxing as part of her training now though.

If she does go there though, she should be careful about the timing of it. The last time she went, she was sore during Indian Wells with back problems I think. It wouldn't be a good idea to go into Cincinnati and Toronto, 2 premier 5 tournaments, with physical problems which could hurt her results.

Christinawww
Jul 13th, 2009, 05:34 AM
yes Caro has more or less maxed out on points from the none mandatory tournaments. She has a lot more points in these tournaments than many other players. But Caro lacks results in Grand Slams as she only has 4R-3R-3R-4R, and an improvement here is what is needed to go up in rank

Dinayer
Jul 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM
http://carowozniacki.blogspot.com/
you should visit this blog, I really like it :)

veryborednow
Jul 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Thought you guys might want to see this.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/37225957.html#cutid1

Nice to see Caro getting some mainstream recognition, even if it is in this form....

ETA: If you can't see that page, the original is below and she's number 9.

http://www.complex.com/blogs/2009/07/14/barely-legal-the-10-hottest-90s-babies/

BrofUJu
Jul 16th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Thought I might stop in to say hi :) I'm a huge Caro fan, run a blog about WTA and ATP (below) and also run @CaroUpdates (http://twitter.com/caroupdates) on Twitter. Feel free to tweet me any new Caro news in case I miss it. Pretty good grass run from her, will be great to see her during the USO series (including in Toronto, where I'll be at!) and really hoping she can make a deep run in one of these tourneys! Hopefully win one!

Protoss
Jul 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Since there's not much going on right now, I thought I'd throw this question out here to get a little bit of discussion going on in here: what are the best matches Caro has played in terms of the quality of her tennis?

BrofUJu
Jul 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Couple that come to mind are against Lena and Kuz in Miami. Lena match was really solid, and she lost against Kuz, but both played their hearts out, and it was an incredible match. She played brilliantly against Momes in Madrid, as well.

Also, for those who haven't seen yet, Caro posted a new blog, a summer update from Copenhagen, on her official site today :) Check it out here (http://www.carolinewozniacki.dk/blog/2009/07/17/my-summer-update-from-copenhagen/)

poulao
Jul 18th, 2009, 10:14 AM
From yesterday My Summer Update from Copenhagen (http://www.carolinewozniacki.dk/blog/2009/07/17/my-summer-update-from-copenhagen/)

Jorn
Jul 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
14 days to go!

http://www.latennischamps.com/index.php

Protoss
Jul 21st, 2009, 11:08 PM
Sigh...it's so annoying that Caro is still called a "pusher", "Pushniacki". After the grass season it should be pretty clear that she isn't a "pusher". :(

Blue-Eyed Soul
Jul 21st, 2009, 11:23 PM
Sigh...it's so annoying that Caro is still called a "pusher", "Pushniacki". After the grass season it should be pretty clear that she isn't a "pusher". :(

That thread about Caro was ridiculous. :rolleyes:

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
Its just trolls, haters and loosers.
A few shit stirrers, that get the other lammers going.

Right now on this thread Click Me!"Least favorite player currently in the WTA Top 10?" were it was obviously aimed at Caroline or Azarenka by delicatecutter, it has backfired.

Dinara Safina RUS 56 15.01%
Serena Williams USA 79 21.18%
Venus Williams USA 11 2.95%
Elena Dementieva RUS 12 3.22%
Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS 14 3.75%
Jelena Jankovic SRB 46 12.33%
Vera Zvonareva RUS 10 2.68%
Victoria Azarenka BLR 69 18.50%
Caroline Wozniacki DEN 55 14.75%
Nadia Petrova RUS 21 5.63%
Voters: 373.
Serena Williams who has many many rabiate fans is leading as the least favorite, so go figure. Either she is the hate object this week, or some of her followers are so thick, they vote for her whatever.
Caroline is #4.
Which to me proves all that Caroline hate is just hot air and doesn't mean anything.

That that means anything to me is how Caroline is playing, winning or loosing, fit or ill and if she is happy with how its going.

Protoss
Jul 22nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Couple that come to mind are against Lena and Kuz in Miami. Lena match was really solid, and she lost against Kuz, but both played their hearts out, and it was an incredible match. She played brilliantly against Momes in Madrid, as well.

Also, for those who haven't seen yet, Caro posted a new blog, a summer update from Copenhagen, on her official site today :) Check it out here (http://www.carolinewozniacki.dk/blog/2009/07/17/my-summer-update-from-copenhagen/)
I don't think the Kuznetsova match was such a good one though as Caro played too defensively until she fell behind in the 2nd set and then after winning the 2nd set went back to playing too defensively.

poulao
Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
That thread about Caro was ridiculous. :rolleyes:

The 'pushing' part, that I think is bob-bob fair enough. Caro has had an habit of leaving it up to the other player, to create somthing. It's all the other BS, people acting as experts etc. that was hurtful IMO. I liked her matches against Makiri and Pennetta in Bostad, against MJMS she looked a bit lost, but did she play badly? I think that she didn't have the right recipe. ;)

Christinawww
Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Its just trolls, haters and loosers.
A few shit stirrers, that get the other lammers going.

Right now on this thread Click Me!"Least favorite player currently in the WTA Top 10?" were it was obviously aimed at Caroline or Azarenka by delicatecutter, it has backfired.

Dinara Safina RUS 56 15.01%
Serena Williams USA 79 21.18%
Venus Williams USA 11 2.95%
Elena Dementieva RUS 12 3.22%
Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS 14 3.75%
Jelena Jankovic SRB 46 12.33%
Vera Zvonareva RUS 10 2.68%
Victoria Azarenka BLR 69 18.50%
Caroline Wozniacki DEN 55 14.75%
Nadia Petrova RUS 21 5.63%
Voters: 373.
Serena Williams who has many many rabiate fans is leading as the least favorite, so go figure. Either she is the hate object this week, or some of her followers are so thick, they vote for her whatever.
Caroline is #4.
Which to me proves all that Caroline hate is just hot air and doesn't mean anything.

That that means anything to me is how Caroline is playing, winning or loosing, fit or ill and if she is happy with how its going.

That Serena is number 1 is no surprise. The big names who have accomplished a lot always have a lot of haters. And Safina is number 1 with no slams so a lot of fans hate her now. They didn't when she was ranked 10-20 last year. Jankovic got a lot of hate when she was number 1, but now, not so much. People don't care about her anymore. Caro and Vika are getting a lot of hate for two young players who haven't done much: they are still in the low end of top10 and haven't done much at slams or beaten a lot of top10 players.

Blue-Eyed Soul
Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
The 'pushing' part, that I think is bob-bob fair enough. Caro has had an habit of leaving it up to the other player, to create somthing. It's all the other BS, people acting as experts etc. that was hurtful IMO. I liked her matches against Makiri and Pennetta in Bostad, against MJMS she looked a bit lost, but did she play badly? I think that she didn't have the right recipe. ;)

I know what you mean but the tone in that pushing thread was blaming Caro for her success which I found ridiculous. Caro still had to win those matches but in that thread they made it seem like she got lucky to move up in the rankings. :(

kinseh
Jul 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I simply cannot wait till Caro starts wearing Stella's outfits. I've always thought they are by far the prettiest outfits on the tour and I hope they'll suit Caro as well as they suited Makiri (she was gorgeous in them). So happy Stella picked Caro. :hearts::hearts:

Can anyone give me a little update on what has been happening with Caro after Wimbledon? I've been away, so I've followed her results, but I haven't read any news or anything.

Protoss
Jul 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I simply cannot wait till Caro starts wearing Stella's outfits. I've always thought they are by far the prettiest outfits on the tour and I hope they'll suit Caro as well as they suited Makiri (she was gorgeous in them). So happy Stella picked Caro. :hearts::hearts:

Can anyone give me a little update on what has been happening with Caro after Wimbledon? I've been away, so I've followed her results, but I haven't read any news or anything.
I'm not too impressed so far with the pictures of Caro in the Stella McCartney outfits. She just doesn't seem to have the right look for them. :shrug: I'd kind of prefer that Maria still wear those outfits.

So where were you away if you don't mind me asking?

Well let's see...she lost in the final of Bastad. It was a poorly played tournament by Caro for the most part. She could have lost to Maria in the quarterfinals as Maria was up a break in both sets, had a set point in the 1st set, and served for the 2nd set. Shortly after the match she went to a Brittany Spears concert with a bunch of her friends to celebrate her birthday. :) Currently she's training.

Caro has a new blog on her website btw. :)

I think that's about it. I'm sure someone else will fill in whatever I might have missed.

Christinawww
Jul 27th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Next monday, Caro will be 8 - a new career high - as Azarenka drops more points from last year. Congratz to Caro

SweTennis
Jul 27th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Next monday, Caro will be 8 - a new career high - as Azarenka drops more points from last year. Congratz to Caro

Hurray!:D Congrats Caro!

Dodoboy.
Jul 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Career-high for Ms Wozniacki!!! :woohoo:

Held Lykke i LA! :woohoo:

Could really extend this lead!

Jorn
Jul 27th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Congrats Caro! New No. 8! :)

I hope she can keep that ranking and get a 8. seeding in Cincy and Toronto! and maybe US Open!
But when will her New Haven points drop off?

Jorn
Jul 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I tried to check, New Haven last year was played in Week 34, so they drop off a week before this year same week as it played, but as Caro plays she can try defend her points.

Vika's Montreal points will drop off next week, thats why Caro's will move up No. 8. So the US Open series will decide who's TOP 8 in US Open.

Protoss
Jul 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Congratulations on making it to #8 in the world Caro!!!! :)

Protoss
Jul 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I tried to check, New Haven last year was played in Week 34, so they drop off a week before this year same week as it played, but as Caro plays she can try defend her points.

Vika's Montreal points will drop off next week, thats why Caro's will move up No. 8. So the US Open series will decide who's TOP 8 in US Open.
I asked about a week and a 1/2 ago in the rankings thread in the Challenger forum and was told they dropped off when the rankings come out on August 24, a week before the US Open, which is the rankings they use for the US Open seedings.

Caro will have 4750 ranking points when the rankings come out next monday. The only other points she has to defend before the US Open are her 550 points from the Pilot Pen. If you subtract those points and add in 120 points (her 17th best result) to replace the dropped Pilot Pen points, Caro will have 4320 ranking points on August 24. Azarenka will have 4538 ranking points when the rankings come out next monday. The only other points she has to defend before the US Open are her 96 points from the Olympics. If you subtract those points, Azarenka will have 4442 ranking points on August 24.

That would put Caro 122 ranking points behind Azarenka on August 24. Caro's 16th best result in 140 points so she has to reach the semis in LA or quarters in Cincinnati or Toronto in order to actually gain any points in the rankings. If Caro reaches the semis in LA, she would gain 60 points. If Caro makes the final in LA, she would gain 180 points. If Caro makes the quarters in Cincinnati or Toronto and didn't make the semis or better in LA, she would gain 60 points. If Caro reaches the quarters in Cincinnati or Toronto but made the semis or better in LA, she would gain 0 points from Cincinnati or Toronto (due to the points to be earned being equal to the new 16th best result of 200). If she makes the semis in Cincinnati or Toronto after making the semis or better in LA, she would gain 150 points from Cincinatti/Toronto. If Caro makes the semis in Toronto after making the semis or better in both LA and Cincinatti, she would gain 150 points from Toronto.

Basically, Caro has to make the final in LA or the semis in Cincinnati or Toronto in order to have a shot at the #8 seed at the US Open.

Azarenka has 2 points as her 16th best result, so as long as she wins a match somewhere she gains ranking points.

If Caro wants that #8 seed at the US Open, she's gotta find a new level to her game as I don't currently see her being good enough to make the semis or better in the crowded/very tough fields in LA, Cincinnati, or Toronto plus overcoming whatever additional points Azarenka might gain.

FormerlyKnownAs
Jul 27th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Yes I made a big bad mistake when I read this line =
WTA Championship Pts: 275 WTA Ranking Pts: 550

It makes a BIG difference 550 instead of 275.

Its good you saw it in one way, but not so good in another.;)

Jorn
Jul 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM
LA TOP 8 Seeds as of today: Caro will be seeded 4. in LA and 8. in Cincinnati, so more easy draws waits in first rounds, ithink.

MAIN DRAW

1 Safina, Dinara RUS
2 Zvonareva, Vera RUS
3 Azarenka, Victoria BLR
4 Wozniacki, Caroline DEN :)
5 Petrova, Nadia RUS
6 Ivanovic, Ana SRB
7 Cibulkova, Dominika SVK
8 Radwanska, Agnieszka POL

Dodoboy.
Jul 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hope we draw Vera for SF :D

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/PDFsLive/2009/805/MDS2.pdf

The Herbalife Draw is out. Not to bad I think.

If the ranks hold Caroline will meet
1R Bye
2R Cirstea
3R Stosur
QF A Radwanska
SF Safina

kinseh
Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Not a bad draw overall (though having Vera in the SF would have been better). Stosur could be tough, as she beat Serena this week. :scared:

Which USO Series tournaments is she going to play? LA, Cincinnatti and ... ? Probably Pilot Pen as well, as she's the defending champion. If she's also playing Toronto, that means four (big!) tournaments in a row before the US Open. :sad: I desperately want her to reach a slam QF, but in order to do so she needs to rest before the slam.

Oh, and congratulations on the new career high, Caro. :yeah: #8 at the age of 19 is :worship:.

Dodoboy.
Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
TOUGH TOUGH draw for her IMHO!!

But she should be able to get to Stosur, who is in HOT FORM! :crying2:

CloudAtlas
Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Damn , I didn't know there was a new volume of this thread , I was wondering why there had been no posts about her in 3 weeks as the notification didn;t come up in my subscribed threads bit!

Congrats on reaching #8 Caro :)

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:31 AM
Caroline will be playing doubles with Cirstea at Los Angeles.

There first opponents are Chuang & Yan. So maybe (hopefully) they will loose.

Jorn
Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Caro's new draw, Now Lisicki in a possible R3, will be tough also. Good Luck Caro!

(4) WOZNIACKI, Caroline DEN vs BYE
CIRSTEA, Sorana ROU vs (WC) LARCHER DE BRITO, Michelle POR
CZINK, Melinda HUN vs MAKAROVA, Ekaterina RUS
(Q) DATE KRUMM, Kimiko JPN vs (17) LISICKI, Sabine GER

btw, How many matches (Singles and Doubles) do we like her to play before US Open, so she's not too tired? ;)

Ithink todays doubles will be good practise before her R2 match...

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Caro has a chance for revenge against the two people who knocked her out of the last two slams. :devil:

poulao
Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
Now we will see how Lisicki does against Kimiko :D

kinseh
Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Caro/Sorana vs Chuang/Yan is the fourth match on Court 5 (NB 16:30).

I definitely like this 'new' draw better, I'd way rather have her play against Lisicki than against Stosur, who played really well last week. Good luck. :yeah:

CloudAtlas
Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
One of the things Caro took time off for was to improve how she handles big serves , if she plays Lisicki it'll be a good test of it.

TLI
Aug 4th, 2009, 01:07 AM
A 10-5 defeat in Match TB for Caro and Sorana. This seems to happen often for Caro!

Protoss
Aug 4th, 2009, 01:32 AM
A 10-5 defeat in Match TB for Caro and Sorana. This seems to happen often for Caro!
Yeah, all 7 of her losses in doubles outside the slams this year have been in super tiebreaks. 1 out of her 3 losses in the slams in doubles this year was in 3 sets.

Protoss
Aug 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Caro has a new blog entry from early this morning. :)

I'm concerned about all this off court stuff she's doing (photo shoots, etc.). It just seems like a potentially pretty big distraction.

Did anyone know that Caro was on Espn 2 saturday night? I certainly didn't. I wish there some sort of advance notice of that.

CloudAtlas
Aug 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
There was a note on her website about it but I don't live in the States so I didn't get to see it.

Derek.
Aug 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Caro will play Cirstea again.

Mistress of Evil
Aug 5th, 2009, 05:31 AM
It is time for revenge,I guess.

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 5th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Not Before 7:00 PM
Maria SHARAPOVA (RUS)vs Victoria AZARENKA (BLR)
followed by
Caroline WOZNIACKI (DEN)vs Sorana CIRSTEA (ROU)

Caroline will play today. Hope she serves better than in the 2 set doubles.
7:00 PM PDT gives 5:00 Thursday CET which sucks.
Maybe its OK for her she is 1 of the evening atractions, but makes it difficult for us in Europe to follow the match.
And no TV/streams until Friday!!!

SOA_MC
Aug 5th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Night match great :D will be mid afternoon my time :yeah:

Caipirinha Guy
Aug 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
http://polishtennis.org/

Check out the video. :)

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Fine video, but I don't speak Polish. Any chance of some subtitles??
How is Caroline's Polish??

Protoss
Aug 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hmmm...Caro's draw could be worse. I'd be very dissapointed if Caro doesn't at least make it to the 3rd round. Cirstea won only 1 game against Aga Radwanska last week and prior to yesterday's win against Larcher de Brito hadn't won a match on hard court all year and in that win against against Larcher de Brito she trailed in both sets. So I don't think there's any real excuse for losing to Cirstea. Plus I don't think Caro should be losing 2 matches in a row to a player outside the top 15 or so particularly with a relatively short time frame between the matches.

Good luck Caro. :)

C. W. Fields
Aug 6th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Sharapova beat Azarenka! Good for her. Caro's match is next.

Mistress of Evil
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Caro must win easy in order to save energy for tommorow.

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM
What a disappointment, I thought that at 6-1 in the first set it was home and dry.
After she saved those 2 match points I still hoped.
But not too be.
At least she will still be #8 at Cincinatti.

Derek.
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM
It must sting to lose twice to Cirstea, who has been the lesser of the two since juniors.

SOA_MC
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I don't like making excuses but I wonder if Caro is starting to pay for playing a heavy schedule at the start of the year

Everyone is more fresh than she is

cosmoose
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I don't like making excuses but I wonder if Caro is starting to pay for playing a heavy schedule at the start of the year

Everyone is more fresh than she is
If that is the case, then she is trouble.
She has entered every tournament from now until USO. :help:

Protoss
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:37 AM
It's funny how as Caro has gotten to her highest ranking, the quality of her play seems to have dropped a good bit. :(

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Lets hope its not so, but it might look like Caroline has stopped developing and found her place hovering at the bottom of the top 10.
I hope not.

cosmoose
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM
It's funny how as Caro has gotten to her highest ranking, the quality of her play seems to have dropped a good bit. :(Its always harder to maintain ranking than climbing the ladder.
Ask Vaidisova, Chaky, Hantuchova, Cornet, Szavay etc.

Protoss
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:42 AM
If that is the case, then she is trouble.
She has entered every tournament from now until USO. :help:
I'd like to see her skip doubles til at least the US Open unless she gets a nightmare draw of Sharapova or Clijsters in her 1st singles match of a tournament or she loses her 1st singles match a couple of times.

I certainly don't want her playing with Cirstea as the team sucks and I don't like the idea of Caro of playing with someone she's becoming a pigeon to who she shouldn't be.

Protoss
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:46 AM
It must sting to lose twice to Cirstea, who has been the lesser of the two since juniors.
These losses to her peers kind of baffle me. Are they extra motivated to beat her because of her greater success? Does she have some sort of complex about playing them, perhaps because she's friends with many of them? I don't know.

Btw, who is that in your avator currently?

Protoss
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Sigh...I wonder when we'll get some post match comments from Caro. I really wanna know what went wrong.

When does the Cincinnati draw come out? It's gonna be a long couple of days. Sigh.

Shley
Aug 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
At least she isnt peaking to early before the US Open :-) She had a good long break before the tournament so I would rather say its a case of not having played, than having played too much in general. Maybe its just Sorana playing the right way against Caro or Caro playing the wrong way against Sorana, maybe the friend thing factors in who knows. There is still plenty of time to get going before the US Open so not to worry.

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 6th, 2009, 09:20 AM
At least she isnt peaking to early before the US Open :-) She had a good long break before the tournament so I would rather say its a case of not having played, than having played too much in general. Maybe its just Sorana playing the right way against Caro or Caro playing the wrong way against Sorana, maybe the friend thing factors in who knows. There is still plenty of time to get going before the US Open so not to worry.
Thats a nice positive way of looking at it.
Another positive thought is that with playing 4 tournaments up to the US Open, these 2 games could be a gentle start to the run up after 3½ weeks break. :)

poulao
Aug 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Hope for a comment on the match from her. But I have to say that I agree withOriginally Posted by Shley
At least she isnt peaking to early before the US Open :-) She had a good long break before the tournament so I would rather say its a case of not having played, than having played too much in general. Maybe its just Sorana playing the right way against Caro or Caro playing the wrong way against Sorana, maybe the friend thing factors in who knows. There is still plenty of time to get going before the US Open so not to worry. but still, I would like to see her take on it. :)

poulao
Aug 6th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Ekstrabladet has a comment from her father Wozniacki: We must move on.

Piotr Wozniacki partly blamed the very late houres for Caroline's defeat in Los Angeles.

The time was close to 1 in Los Angeles before Caroline Wozniackis secondround match vas finished. Wozniacki lost her first match in three sets - to double partner Sorena Cirstea, who also ousted her in the French Open.

Totaly wild, it sounds from Piotr Wozniacki, Caroline Wozniackis father and coach, pointing to the lateness of playing time when he must explain his daughter's defeat.

- It is a very late time to play. We have trained in the morning and before midday - and then we have to play match very late. It is very American, said a tired Piotr Wozniacki to ekstrabladet.dk

He does not hide that Caroline Wozniackis games was not optimal. Partly because she made a break for three weeks.

- There were some good things today, but not enough. Cirstea played ok, Caroline also in large periods. But we must move on to the next tournament.

:)

Protoss
Aug 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Ekstrabladet has a comment from her father

Wozniacki: We must move on.

Piotr Wozniacki partly blamed the very late houres for Caroline's defeat in Los Angeles.

The time was close to 1 in Los Angeles before Caroline Wozniackis secondround match vas finished. Wozniacki lost her first match in three sets - to double partner Sorena Cirstea, who also ousted her in the French Open.

Totaly wild, it sounds from Piotr Wozniacki, Caroline Wozniackis father and coach, pointing to the lateness of playing time when he must explain his daughter's defeat.

- It is a very late time to play. We have trained in the morning and before midday - and then we have to play match very late. It is very American, said a tired Piotr Wozniacki to ekstrabladet.dk

He does not hide that Caroline Wozniackis games was not optimal. Partly because she made a break for three weeks.

- There were some good things today, but not enough. Cirstea played ok, Caroline also in large periods. But we must move on to the next tournament

:)
Thanks for posting the article. :)

Blaiming the lateness of the match is lame Piotr. :( Both players had to play in the same condition. What if Caro has to play late at the US Open or some other slam for that matter?

If 3 weeks off is too much, Caro will get very little rest during the season. That would not be a good thing. :(

I wish there was more specific info on Caro's play. Like was she too passive (often the main cause of her losses), too erratic, etc?

Derek.
Aug 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
These losses to her peers kind of baffle me. Are they extra motivated to beat her because of her greater success? Does she have some sort of complex about playing them, perhaps because she's friends with many of them? I don't know.

Btw, who is that in your avator currently?

Urszula Radwanska. :)

kinseh
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I'm disappointed that she lost against Cirstea again, but I don't think we should worry to much about it. Maybe Sorana played really well and Caro had an off-day (I didn't watch the match, so I don't know), maybe it was because of Caro's lack of match play in the last couple of weeks -- well, as long as she not injured, I'm not really worried. Piotr's "the match was being played too late" excuse was a bit lame, though. :help:

Apparently, Cirstea has had 9 first round losses in 16 tournaments this year! :eek: That's really weird.

Dodoboy.
Aug 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Disappointing!!

Bounce back, know she can do it!

xadimexadozenx
Aug 7th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Woo! I saw Caro today, she's even cuter in person! I didn't know that people who lost still stuck around in the tournaments, but she was there practicing.. for a really long time.. some of the shots were good, but some were =\...

Protoss
Aug 7th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Woo! I saw Caro today, she's even cuter in person! I didn't know that people who lost still stuck around in the tournaments, but she was there practicing.. for a really long time.. some of the shots were good, but some were =\...
Thanks for report. :)

If her practice today was like how she played yesterday, I guess that would explain what happened yesterday.

poulao
Aug 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Let's hope she enjoys her stay in LA. The form will improve, if she stays focused and positive looking forward. Let's hope she is able to winn a few matches in Cincinnati. The match against Sorana was not televised, so we don't know, do we? Maby Sorana just plays well at the moment, or Caro does not 'feel the ball' that well and hesitates, and lacks the confidence to go for her shots etc. Looking at the statisticks for the match may say, that she didn't serv consistently well, and she didn't return that well either. So we will see. ;)

jasminefu623
Aug 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
just found this article
http://www.wmagazine.com/celebrities/2009/08/caroline_wozniacki

Protoss
Aug 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I saw a couple of interesting articles in the past week. I've posted the parts dealing with Caro.

Here's a google translation of part of an interview with Sven Groenefeld I saw in Ana Ivanovic's forum:

D. Caroline Wozniacki, another talented player whose work with the program Adidas, has become a solid player and hard work still continues in major tournaments. What you think should still be improved to make the next step?

R. Caroline has made incredible progress, it's just a matter of time (which means opinion), that will explode even in Grand Slam tournaments.
He had a great start to the season, he played so many tournaments, collecting the results. Now we are rested and had time to work on his game. I think that will have a big future in the tour and in the Slam.

http://ubitennis.quotidianonet.ilsole24ore.com/2009/08/01/212971-advisor_loro.shtml

Here's part of an interesting article dealing with the top young players on the tour:

Ivanovic likes the ninth-ranked Azarenka's potential too, although she says Wozniacki is more consistent. The Serbian and former No. 1 believes that talent and technical expertise aren't enough to push a young player over the top.

"They have to believe they can really do it," Ivanovic said. "That was big for me. You grow up watching other players win slams and you have a certain respect for them. Even though you are across the court and trying to focus on your game, subconsciously you know they are there and what they've done in the past. You have to let go of that and focus on your own game."

Wozniacki, the WTA Tour's 2008 Newcomer of the Year, celebrated her 19th birthday in July and had a party which was attended by Radwanska and Cirstea. All are capable players, but may lack the hard edges that are the trademarks of the greats such as Sharapova and the Williams sisters.

The pleasant and talkative Wozniacki has won five Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles titles but has yet to reach the final eight of a major. While she's a good mover, is solid off the ground and inherently smart, she doesn't have the power to blow her opponents off the court.

She also doesn't have a tremendous amount of bravado, which is perhaps the reason why after Wimbledon — where she was beaten up by the stronger Lisicki — that she decided to box for a couple of weeks as a form of training that would not only improve her speed and quickness but would inspire her to great heights.

With a world ranking of No. 8, she knows that she's expected to do more than to just make it to the second Monday of a major.

"My time will come and I'll make it further," Wozniacki said. "It's experience. I've showed I can beat the top players and make it far, but you have to be a little lucky and the draw has to fit you."

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/9891980/No-room-at-the-top-for-elite-youngsters-...-yet

C. W. Fields
Aug 8th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Cirstea is in the SF now, so apparently her win against Caro wasn't a fluke. And it really hasn't been a good tournament for the favorites. All the top 9 seeds have been eliminated.

Protoss
Aug 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Cirstea is in the SF now, so apparently her win against Caro wasn't a fluke. And it really hasn't been a good tournament for the favorites. All the top 9 seeds have been eliminated.
So Aga Radwanska's poor play and choking/headcaseness is supposed to make us feel better? :p

Out of those top seeds only Petrova and Aga Radwanska played last week, the rest were playing their 1st summer hard court tournament. Petrova played poorly and lost badly to Sharapova and Aga choked against Hantuchova. Come to think of it those two did the same thing this week just against different players. :p It'll be interesting to see if the top seeds do a lot better in Cincinnati given less rust. It'd be real weird not have any of the top seeds also not make it to the semis in Cincinnati. I think we'll see at least 2 of the top seeds in the semis and I wouldn't be surprised if we all 4 semifinalists being top seeds.

Protoss
Aug 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
just found this article
http://www.wmagazine.com/celebrities/2009/08/caroline_wozniacki
Thanks for posting the link to the article. :)

Pretty cool story about Caro and the prince. :)

Poor Brad Pitt...I guess that's one celebrity Caro won't be meeting any time soon. :p

poulao
Aug 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Sven Groenefeld is probably right about Caro, at least I hope so. But fx. Eastbourne this year, it didn't happen, did it? I was a bit disapointed I have to say. :D She does not as is, have the power to do it from the baseline, so what are the options? She made one attemt to Serve & Volley against Makiri in Wimbledon, and when it failed, she remained on the baseline. Practice makes perfect, so I hope to see some practice. :lol:

Dodoboy.
Aug 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Nice draw for Caro, Wozniak in R2!

Hope she can get a win!

poulao
Aug 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Why not Carla Suarez Navarro :)

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 8th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Lets hope Caroline can beat either Suarez Navarro or Wozniak, in the 2nd round as it would be really neat if she can meet & beat Ivanovic in the 3rd.
A possible Dementiva in the QF wouldn't be too bad either, I think alot on how far Cirstea goes.
I hope she goes a bit further this time.

kinseh
Aug 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Three of my faves in the same quarter. :sobbing: I'm with Caro, though. Hoping for a better showing here than last week. Good luck. :yeah:

Protoss
Aug 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Caro plays doubles again but at least it's not with Cirstea. :) She's playing with Megan Shaughnessy.

stangtennis
Aug 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
It's not uncommon for players to stick around after they have lost and get some practice with some of the other players, especially if they are far from home and have another tournament in the same corner of the world coming up the next week. Next week Caro is going to play another tournament in Cincinnati, so she might just as well stay in the US instead of wasting two days travelling home to Europe and back and getting jetlag by doing so. She might as well stay at her current hotel where she can find good training partners and go out eating and have fun with her friends from the WTA tour.
I watched the match Cirstea vs. Aga Radwańska on TV and Caroline was filmed standing in the corner of the court watching two of her best friends on the tour playing each other. Cirstea has been Caro's regular doubole partner for some time now and the Radwańska sisters are her best friends on the tour she says, probably because Caro also has Polish parents and speaks fluent Polish. Caro first met Aga around the age of 12 IIRC when Caro went to Poland to play a kids tournament.

stangtennis
Aug 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Caro plays doubles again but at least it's not with Cirstea. :) She's playing with Megan Shaughnessy.
They are facing Gisela Dulko and Caro's former double partner in 3 tournaments Shahar Peer in the first round.

Caroline Wozniacki and Shahar Peer were double partners at Toky Sep. 2008, Auckland Jan. 2009 and Austrailia Open Jan. 2009.

Cirstea and Shaughnessy will actually face each other in the first round of the singles tournament.

SOA_MC
Aug 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
This is funny, what is it with first round single opponents teaming up for doubles in the same tournament

Derek.
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Hopefully Caro has a much better tournament this week. :)

Blue-Eyed Soul
Aug 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hopefully Caro has a much better tournament this week. :)

Yes I hope so, too. Go Caro! :)

kinseh
Aug 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Does anybody know what happened to the Caro-Peer partnership? Weren't they like playing to play together all year? :lol:

This is funny, what is it with first round single opponents teaming up for doubles in the same tournament

It's not Caro and Shaughnessy playing each other, but Cirstea and Shaughnessy. :)

poulao
Aug 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Meghann Shaughnessy is a good and experienced doubles player, good for Caro. As far as I can see, Cirstea is not listed any where before US-Open. So that is probably the reason for her playing with somone else.

stangtennis
Aug 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
As far as I can see, Cirstea is not listed any where before US-Open. So that is probably the reason for her playing with somone else.
As I already mentioned Cirstea is playing singles in Cincinnati this week facing Caro's new double partner Shaughnessy in the first round, but Cirstea is not playing doubles this week.

SOA_MC
Aug 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
It's not Caro and Shaughnessy playing each other, but Cirstea and Shaughnessy. :)

You're right :o

Why was I thinking they were :banghead:

poulao
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:40 PM
As I already mentioned Cirstea is playing singles in Cincinnati this week facing Caro's new double partner Shaughnessy in the first round, but C irsteais not playing not doubles this week.

Yes exactly, Cristea is free to go as soon as she looses in single. :) Players do that somtims, Makiri in Bostad fx.

Jorn
Aug 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Rankings August 17th, before Cincinnati R2 points are added.

1 Dinara Safina 27/04/86 RUS Cin 9261
2 Serena Williams 26/09/81 USA Cin 8449
3 Venus Williams 17/06/80 USA Cin 6757
4 Elena Dementieva 15/10/81 RUS Cin 6085
5 Jelena Jankovic 28/02/85 SRB Cin 5930
6 Svetlana Kuznetsova 27/06/85 RUS Cin 5851
7 Vera Zvonareva 07/09/84 RUS Cin 5300
8 Caroline Wozniacki 11/07/90 DEN Cin 4750
-------------------------------------------------
9 Vika Azarenka 31/07/89 BLR Cin 4443

Azarenka will have to beat Jankovic in R3 and S.Willliams in QF or Caro will stay at No. 8. Can Caro possible beat Ana I. in R3, she'll likely also stay at No 8.

stangtennis
Aug 10th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Why not Carla Suarez Navarro :)
Because Navarro lost 6-0, 6-3 to Aleksandra Wozniack in R1. :cool:
So it's another Wozniacki vs. Wozniack match in R2.

WTA H2H score so far is 3-0 to Wozniacki over Wozniack.

Blue-Eyed Soul
Aug 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Because Navarro lost 6-0, 6-3 to Aleksandra Wozniack in R1. :cool:
So it's another Wozniacki vs. Wozniack match in R2.

WTA H2H score so far is 3-0 to Wozniacki over Wozniack.

That's exactly what I wanted. Woz vs. Woz. Go Caro! :D

kinseh
Aug 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Another Woz-match. :) Pretty much Caro's match to win/lose, I'd say.

Dulko/Peer vs. Shaughnessy/Wozniacki are 6th up on Grandstand, the match isn't before 19:00. Seems like a pretty winnable match to me.

stangtennis
Aug 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Caroline Wozniacki showcases Adidas Skynde shoes
http://news.shoe-shop.com/news/3832/caroline-wozniacki-showcases-adidas-skynde-shoes

I wonder if Caroline Wozniacki has been involved in naming the new adidas by Stella McCartney tennis shoes she's going to wear beginning at the US Open.
The shoes are named adidas Skynde.
"Skynde" is the Danish word for "hurry" or "hurry up". Maybe she will move faster in these shoes.

The Stella McCartney shoes worn by Kirilenko are named Taju, I wonder if that emans something in Russian? http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/stella/descpage.html?pcode=ABSMTS

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 11th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Caroline Wozniacki showcases Adidas Skynde shoes
http://news.shoe-shop.com/news/3832/caroline-wozniacki-showcases-adidas-skynde-shoes

I wonder if Caroline Wozniacki has been involved in naming the new adidas by Stella McCartney tennis shoes she's going to wear beginning at the US Open.
The shoes are named adidas Skynde.
"Skynde" is the Danish word for "hurry" or "hurry up". Maybe she will move faster in these shoes.

The Stella McCartney shoes worn by Kirilenko are named Taju, I wonder if that emans something in Russian? http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/stella/descpage.html?pcode=ABSMTS

What are they calling her socks ?

Protoss
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM
So were there any comments by Caro on her loss to Cirstea in the Danish press? I haven't seen any in English. :(

stangtennis
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Wozniacki was injured when the lost to Cirstea in French open. She could barely make an overhead serve in that match. Her 1st serve parcentage was higer than ever in that match because in reality they were all "2nd servres" or softer than that. So that match doesn't really count to compare their H2H performances.
Ironically Wozniacki got her injury playing French Open doubles with Cirstea.
After that loss she was forced to take a break from all tennis and practice to recover her back injury.

stangtennis
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Dulko/Peer vs. Shaughnessy/Wozniacki are 6th up on Grandstand, the match isn't before 19:00.
Shaughnessy/Wozniacki was replaced by BORWELL, Sarah (GBR)/GRANDIN, Natalie (RSA) in the double tournament and never played.
Anyone know why they were replaced? An injury?

Dulko/Peer won the match 64 63 against BORWELL, Sarah (GBR)/GRANDIN, Natalie (RSA)

Shley
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:30 AM
So were there any comments by Caro on her loss to Cirstea in the Danish press? I haven't seen any in English. :(

Cant find anything, besides the statements by Piotr.

stangtennis
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM
The Danish video game online TV station pixel.tv interviewed Venus Williams at a promotion event for the video game "Grand Slam Tennis" at the EA Sports headquaters: http://www.pixel.tv/program/vip/venus-williams-the-bubble-bobble-champion
Grand Slam Tennis video game: http://tennis.easports.com

They also asked her about her favorite video game growing up. She said the legendary Bubble Bobble released in the late 80's was her favourite game growing up and that she and Serena was Bubble Bobble champions.

Jorn
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Shaughnessy/Wozniacki was replaced by:

Anyone know why they were replaced? An injury?

Meghann had a leg injury... :sad: Hopefully Caro is OK for todays match!

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Its a pity for Shaughnessy, lets hope Caroline makes it 4-0 against Wozniak today.

Hugh.
Aug 12th, 2009, 01:19 PM
And I presume she ironically picked the injury up in her match against Sorana earlier in the day. :unsure:

Anyway good luck Caro against Wozniak! :D

CloudAtlas
Aug 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Please win today Caro , I'm really nervous after their last meeting , especially since it was on Wozniak's worst surface.

jasminefu623
Aug 12th, 2009, 04:45 PM
are there anywhere that would have a chance to show this match?

Protoss
Aug 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hmmm...an interesting draw for Caro. She should win her 2nd round match against Wozniak. It'd be pretty troubling if she were to lose as that would 2 straight tournaments in a row that Caro would have exited winning a match and 3 bad losses in a row. :scared:

Please win your 2nd round match Caro. :)

Loungy
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I had decided to stick with Ana if it'd came to Ana v Caro (as it looks like it will), because Ana needs to reach a QF badly, but now I'm just hoping both of them can not be :weirdo: for the whole match and make it a good one. Getting trashed by Ana would do Caro no favors either. :sad:

CloudAtlas
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
If Ana wins her match than Caro will not to play her A-game as Ana has a big serve which she's getting back.

Now I've said that Ana will probably lose and Caro will then lose to Czink :sobbing:

C. W. Fields
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Czink it is then.

Protoss
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM
If Ana wins her match than Caro will not to play her A-game as Ana has a big serve which she's getting back.

Now I've said that Ana will probably lose and Caro will then lose to Czink :sobbing:
Then why say that if that's gonna happen?

Loungy
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:34 PM
It's been a terrible tournament for my faves so far, and we aren't even into QF. :sobbing: At least I won't have to split alliances now. C'mon, Caro. Beat her tush.

CloudAtlas
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Then why say that it if that's gonna happen?

I said it as a joke , didn't think Ana would actually lose to Czink :tape:

SOA_MC
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I had decided to stick with Ana if it'd came to Ana v Caro (as it looks like it will), because Ana needs to reach a QF badly, but now I'm just hoping both of them can not be :weirdo: for the whole match and make it a good one. Getting trashed by Ana would do Caro no favors either. :sad:

There is nothing now that can save Ana from being a :weirdo: but Caro still has a chance to lay the smackdown (hopefully on demented again)

Go Caro :rocker:

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I am happy that I wasn't home and couldn't follow the scores.
What a nerve racking experience that would have been!!!!!

I agree with another poster who said that Caroline used too win quite easily against lower seeds and only had problems against those higher.
Now its all difficult.

On paper hah!! Czink shouldn't be a problem for Caroline.
BUT after her last 2 matches who knows what the outcome will be.

One positive she can take into this next match is that she could keep on fighting and win.

Lets all cross everything we have and hope for the best.

Protoss
Aug 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Caro just posted a new entry on her blog about 20 minutes ago. :)

Geez...yet another photo shoot. :( Can Caro please cut down or eliminate alltogether these off court activities at least until she has her game working again?

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Center Court - Starting at 10:00am
1. Llagostera Vives/Martinez Sanchez vs. Kirilenko/Vesnina
Not Before 12:00noon
2. Venus Williams vs. Flavia Pennetta
3. Kim Clijsters vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova
4. Sybille Bammer vs. Katya Bondarenko or Serena Williams
Not Before 7:00pm
5. Dinara safina vs. Shuai Peng
6. Black/Huber or Mirza/Schiavone vs. Senoglu/Shvedova or Mattek/Petrova

Grandstand - Starting at 12:00noon
1. Daniela Hantuchova vs. Vera Zvonareva
2. Sorana Cirstea vs. Elena Dementieva
3. Jelena Jankovic vs. Victoria Azarenka
Not Before 7:00pm
4. Amanmuradova/Niculescu vs. Bondarenko/Bondarenko

Court 3 - Starting at 2:00pm or 20:00 CET
1. Caroline Wozniacki vs. Melinda Czink
2. Ruano P/Zheng or Dulko/Peer vs. Hantuchova/Sugiyama

Looking at the other players and doubles that are on Center Court & Grandstand, while Caroline and Czink are the only singles on Court 3, is an obvious statement from organizers.
That sucks now she won't be on Eurosport.

stangtennis
Aug 12th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Geez...yet another photo shoot. :( Can Caro please cut down or eliminate alltogether these off court activities at least until she has her game working again?
Relax, it was only a 1 hour photo shoot she wrote. Thinking of tennis all the time is just going to drive you nuts anyway, you have to do other things too to get your mind off tennis. This way she gets to meet people from outside the tennis circus and talk about other stuff too. It can be tiring seeing the same players and coaches week after week on the tour without knowing anybody else to meet up with while you are travelling most of the year, so a photo shoot or somehting once in a while is a nice distraction as long as it doesn't get in the way of her training and torunament plans, but I don't think it does. She can't play tennis and lift weights all the time. Besides she has more time to do photo shoots when things go bad and she looses her first match than when she goes all the way to the final. There's fewer interviews and press conferences to do then too.

SOA_MC
Aug 13th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Looking at the other players and doubles that are on Center Court & Grandstand, while Caroline and Czink are the only singles on Court 3, is an obvious statement from organizers.
That sucks now she won't be on Eurosport.

They were probably contracted to put one match on an outside court.

You got 9 of the top 10 on the schedule, Caro has the lowest ranked opponent and niether is American.

Anyway in Grand Slams there is always one QF match played on a outside court.

C. W. Fields
Aug 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM
It's noteable how Caro's last blog entry doesn't mention her LA loss at all. No explaining why Cirstea beat her. :tape:

CloudAtlas
Aug 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I'm not gonna say she's in a slump just yet as those two matches prove nothing , she had a close match with Cirstea who is playing almost top 10 tennis at the moment and she had a similar match against Wozniak at Eastbourne , in fact there Caro won two games fewer than in this match as she lost the first set 6-2, and that too on grass which Wozniak is not good on.

But does anyone think the strength training she did in the 3 weeks off may have had a slight impact on her game? E.g Jankovic , although she had a massive body change and her entire game suffered as a result.

Dodoboy.
Aug 13th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I didn't even realise Caro was playing today :sobbing:

I think Czink could win this match, i really do, please prove me wrong Caro!

kinseh
Aug 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
What a nerveracker against Wozniak! Did not seem to me like she was playing her best at all. A win is a win, though. Good luck against Czink. :yeah:

Relax, it was only a 1 hour photo shoot she wrote. Thinking of tennis all the time is just going to drive you nuts anyway, you have to do other things too to get your mind off tennis. This way she gets to meet people from outside the tennis circus and talk about other stuff too. It can be tiring seeing the same players and coaches week after week on the tour without knowing anybody else to meet up with while you are travelling most of the year, so a photo shoot or somehting once in a while is a nice distraction as long as it doesn't get in the way of her training and torunament plans, but I don't think it does. She can't play tennis and lift weights all the time. Besides she has more time to do photo shoots when things go bad and she looses her first match than when she goes all the way to the final. There's fewer interviews and press conferences to do then too.

I totally agree on this, great post! :)

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
She withdrew because there was a risk that her back problems could develop into a serious injury. It is ok, so we are fresh for the next round and saved a bit of energy, says coach Piotr Wozniacki to ekstrabladet.dk from Cincinnati, while Caroline was sent out to practice a bit for half an hour.

Not nice with back injuries, poor girl. But good for Caroline, She should be fresh against Dementiva in the QF.

Zvonareva is out so there is a chance for Caroline to creep a bit closer to #7.

Anyone know which weeks rankings they use for the US Open, it would be really nice if Caroline could be #8.
PS She had plenty of time for a foto shoot or two today.!!!!!

C. W. Fields
Aug 13th, 2009, 09:09 PM
So, Dementieva next. That's a 50-50 match in my eyes.
My dream scenario for this tournament is a Caro-Clijsters final! :bounce:

Jorn
Aug 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM
They will use the Rankings after next weeks Toronto for the US Open seedings, ithink Caro need SEMIs here or Toronto to keep the 8th seeding when her New Haven points drop off, but it depends if Azarenka wins today, just now jankovic is winning...

Hugh.
Aug 13th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Not exactly the best way to prepare for Dementieva tomorrow, with 15 mins of match play today. She really could have done with a whole match today to give her a bit more confidence, but at least she's through (albeit with a retirement) that's the main thing.
Dementieva will be tough...good luck Caro! :yeah:

Protoss
Aug 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM
They will use the Rankings after next weeks Toronto for the US Open seedings, ithink Caro need SEMIs here or Toronto to keep the 8th seeding when her New Haven points drop off, but it depends if Azarenka wins today, just now jankovic is winning...
By my calculations, a semi here in Cincinnati isn't enough for the #8 seeding at the US Open. She would be 3 points below Azarenka with a semi.

4750 + 210 (if Caro makes the semis) - 550 (Pilot Pen points gone) + 140 (new 17th best result which then replace the Pilot Pen points when they go off) = 4550 ranking points.

Azarenka currently has 4553 ranking points as of the start of her 3rd round match against Jankovic and has no more points to defend until the US Open.

So Caro would need to make the semis in Toronto or the final here in Cincinnati to be the #8 seed at the US Open and that would only be if Azarenka doesn't gain any more points here in Cincinnati or in Toronto.

I'd like for Caro to be seeded #9 for the US Open so that she'll have less pressure and lower expectations. As the #8 seed, Caro would be expected to make it to the quarters, something she's never done at any slam so far. We've seen how well Caro has performed in her last 2 1st rounds at the slams since she became a top 10 player, having to come from a set and a break down against 2 players she really shouldn't have even lost 1 set to. So I'd prefer not to give her any more pressure.

Jorn
Aug 13th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Jankovic finally won, so Vika won't get more points here.

But seen Caro's draw here and Vika with more tough draw as the 9th Seeds, even with some more pressure ithink 8 is better than 9th Seeding. Its the same pressure here and in Canada with the same TOP players in the Draw.

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
CENTER COURT
Starting at: 12:00 noon
Caroline WOZNIACKI (DEN)
vs
Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS)

Which is 18:00 CET.

This sucks as Eurosport sends first 19:45, they are sending Summer Ski Jumping!!!!!?
But Eurosport player sends from 18:00. Hurrah!!!! :aparty:

Lets hope Caroline puts on a good performance.

Linoller
Aug 14th, 2009, 02:05 AM
So Dementienva next. it's gonna be tough but I have a good feeling about it :).

Protoss
Aug 14th, 2009, 02:37 AM
So, Dementieva next. That's a 50-50 match in my eyes.
My dream scenario for this tournament is a Caro-Clijsters final! :bounce:
I think Clijsters would be a pretty bad matchup for Caro. If Clijsters is defending close to as well as she did in the past then I don't think Caro can outdefend her. Caro would have to play outside her comfort zone and play fairly offensively in order to have a shot at beating Clijsters should they play each other some time.

SOA_MC
Aug 14th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Caro v Safina final please

Caro getting her first win over a #1 :hearts:

TLI
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Speechless... and sad. This was not a good way to start the weekend. I pretty much think this was the worst match of her career.

CloudAtlas
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I just hope nothing serious is wrong , she hasn't been the same player since she's come back.

jasminefu623
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I just hope nothing serious is wrong , she hasn't been the same player since she's come back.

totally agree, she just not like the caro we know, keep her unforced error low and wait for her chance, and a good mover, but, all those had gone

C. W. Fields
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I wonder why Caro didn't try to make one single drop shot in the match, is that shot just not a part of her repetoire!?

Protoss
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Any winners/unforced errors stats for this disaster?

C. W. Fields
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM

The first thought to cross my mind is 'pig's flu'! I sure hope that's just a crazy thought! :eek:

CloudAtlas
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I wonder why Caro didn't try to make one single drop shot in the match, is that shot just not a part of her repetoire!?

The only drop shot of hers I can remember is in the final in Madrid against Safina and that too she was midway up the court, she has very little variety , rather than doing strength training they should've focussed on that I think.

CloudAtlas
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
The first thought to cross my mind is 'pig's flu'! I sure hope that's just a crazy thought! :eek:

Haha , she should be in bed then not on the court! But seriously I'm worried at the moment , I hope for a good showing in the next two tournaments otherwise a 1R exit at the USO wouldn't be very far off.

Protoss
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:50 PM
The only drop shot of hers I can remember is in the final in Madrid against Safina and that too she was midway up the court, she has very little variety , rather than doing strength training they should've focussed on that I think.
I didn't see the match against Pennetta in Bastaad but I remember reading that actually used drop shots and slices against her.

Hugh.
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Any winners/unforced errors stats for this disaster?
8 winners/27 UEs :sobbing:

Oh caro :help: Holding serve once in the whole match says it all really.

Protoss
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
8 winners/27 UEs :sobbing:

Oh caro :help: Holding serve once in the whole match says it all really.
Oh geez. :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised by the low # of winners cause Caro tends to play too defensively but the # of unforced errors is alarmingly high.

And in that 1 service game she had to save 2 break points in order to hold. :rolleyes:

Protoss
Aug 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Previously I had wanted Caro to drop one of the tournaments she was scheduled to play in the US Open series. Now I definitely don't. Plus I'd kind of like her to play doubles in both Toronto and New Haven. She needs to hit the practice courts hard.

Maybe, just maybe then she can avoid embarassing herself, Stella McCartney, and Addias by crashing out early at the US Open. :scared:

SOA_MC
Aug 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM
So she played like crap :(

Still got a couple of weeks to find some rhythm

Derek.
Aug 14th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hope Caro continues to improve her form. :unsure:

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
What a dreadful match, neither played well in the beginning, it looked like amateur club 1R.
Dementiva managed to raise her game 2 inches and won.

Caroline suffered from
1 Her serve was awful.
2 She couldn't keep the ball in.
3 She looked flat and listless.
4 Took no initiative.

She has played bad before but since she came back from her break, she has just not played the way has played before.

Maybe this is the start of a slump?
Or maybe it is the curse of the Stella Macarthy clothes getting her.
Thats early she only had them on for a photoshoot.

Anyway I didn't enjoy watching that, and I hope she can get it together soon, and stay in the top 10.

CloudAtlas
Aug 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Caro will play either Vesnina or Zheng in her first match , which on her current form I very much doubt she'll win , particularly if it's Vesnina , we know what her record against Elena is.

Dodoboy.
Aug 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM
:sad: Please pick up form!

Protoss
Aug 14th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Caro will play either Vesnina or Zheng in her first match , which on her current form I very much doubt she'll win , particularly if it's Vesnina , we know what her record against Elena is.
Yah, it's 2-1 against Vesnina. She's 0-1 against Zheng with the 1 match being in Stockholm in 2006 btw.

Protoss
Aug 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
That Stella McCartney curse crap again? :rolleyes: The only curse is the potential inability to deal with the pressure of being the face/representative for Stella McCartney and or feeling so uncomfortable in the clothes that it affects your play.

Bingain
Aug 15th, 2009, 12:34 AM
What a dreadful match, neither played well in the beginning, it looked like amateur club 1R.
Dementiva managed to raise her game 2 inches and won.

Caroline suffered from
1 Her serve was awful.
2 She couldn't keep the ball in.
3 She looked flat and listless.
4 Took no initiative.

... Maybe this is the start of a slump?
Or maybe it is the curse of the Stella Macarthy clothes getting her.
Thats early she only had them on for a photoshoot.

I watched it on ESPN taped broadcast and I agree with all of your comments about the match.

If the photoshoot she had had earlier was for the Stella McCartney line, it was very bad scheduling. Working photoshoot for a popular designer (and therefore a big name fashion photographer) is no less stressful than playing a match. Just the make up and hair can take up to two hours and her head could still remain at the studio for a day or two afterward.

JadeFox
Aug 15th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Ugh Caro seems to be in a bit of a slump. It sucks but it happens to every player out there.

I just hope she can find her form soon.

CloudAtlas
Aug 15th, 2009, 01:57 AM
That Stella McCartney curse crap again? :rolleyes: The only curse is the potential inability to deal with the pressure of being the face/representative for Stella McCartney and or feeling so uncomfortable in the clothes that it affects your play.

I agree, she did the photoshoot for Stella when she was still playing well , it's nothing to do with that IMO , something clearly went wrong in the three weeks she had off.

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Take it easy it was humerous, unlike football (soccer to Americans) Tennis is not a matter of life or death, or even much more important,

No Caroline is playing badly, because she is. She looked very frustrated about her tennis during the match, maybe she dosn't understand what is wrong.

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 15th, 2009, 07:05 AM
We can hope and hope that the clouds open and a large finger comes down and prods her.
Thereafter she plays better than before, wins Toronto, New Haven and the US Open.

But back to reality I think you are right, lets hope its not a big slump.
My biggest fear is that she might have topped and that was that. Maybe nightmare.

Protoss
Aug 15th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Does Caro need coaching from someone other than her dad and the Addias folks to go further in the game?

Hugh.
Aug 16th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Caro replaces Safina in a Sony Ericsson event in Toronto on Monday.

From WTA on Facebook:
UPDATE - Toronto Fans! On Monday at Noon, head to Yonge/Dundas streets for a special Sony Ericsson event with Ana Ivanovic and Caroline Wozniacki (Safina will still be in Cincinnati to play in the final) reenacting of the Agassi/Sampras Nike ad of 1995!

Bingain
Aug 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Does Caro need coaching from someone other than her dad and the Addias folks to go further in the game?

IIRC, that Adidas guy helped Ana to get to #1, so he's definitely a competent coach. However, he can't give on court coaching when the opponent is also wearing Adidas (and like 1/3 does). Also Ana and Caro have distinctively different play styles, so how good is the style match, I don't know.

Nevertheless, Caro should know the answers very well, and unlike a year or two ago, now she can afford to hire a decent coach. If she stays with the Adidas guy, I believe she's comfortable.

Hugh.
Aug 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
IIRC, that Adidas guy helped Ana to get to #1, so he's definitely a competent coach. However, he can't give on court coaching when the opponent is also wearing Adidas (and like 1/3 does). Also Ana and Caro have distinctively different play styles, so how good is the style match, I don't know.

Nevertheless, Caro should know the answers very well, and unlike a year or two ago, now she can afford to hire a decent coach. If she stays with the Adidas guy, I believe she's comfortable.
Yeah, it's Sven Groeneveld. He has been fantastic for Ana getting her to the top, but she has been away from him for most of the year and look where she is now. :sobbing: She has started to work with him again and also Darren Cahill, also part of the Adidas team., but it's not exactly working at the moment. :sad:

But Sven has also really helped Sorana Cirstea and look how well she is doing now and I believe he has also worked with Verdasco on the ATP and since this year he hasn't been doing badly at all.

Sven helps many of the Adidas players and there's only one of him and many players who need him, so he has to split his time between them. The on court coaching is also a problem because he can't sit in either player's box if they both wear Adidas. And you're correct that so many players wear the brand.

But I believe Sven is a great coach for Caro to work with and she should continue on the Adidas Development Program because, for sure, it has helped her get to where she is today. The Program is a very interesting set up, having a few coaches shared round many players, but it really does work very well.

Protoss
Aug 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Caro plays doubles with Aga Radwanska in Toronto. :) They play Yan/Zheng in the 1st round.

SOA_MC
Aug 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Now Caro is stealing all of Kirilenko's doubles partners :lol:

It's no wonder Kirilenko fans don't like her :p

Blue-Eyed Soul
Aug 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Now Caro is stealing all of Kirilenko's doubles partners :lol:

It's no wonder Kirilenko fans don't like her :p

LOL! :D

Dodoboy.
Aug 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
:haha: Caro is stealing everything Maria has! Even the slump :sad:

TLI
Aug 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM
New WTA International tournament should be on the way to Denmark in spring 2010.

http://www.dr.dk/Regioner/Kbh/Nyheder/Furesoe/2009/08/17/085655.htm&regional

jasminefu623
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Caro replaces Safina in a Sony Ericsson event in Toronto on Monday.

From WTA on Facebook:
UPDATE - Toronto Fans! On Monday at Noon, head to Yonge/Dundas streets for a special Sony Ericsson event with Ana Ivanovic and Caroline Wozniacki (Safina will still be in Cincinnati to play in the final) reenacting of the Agassi/Sampras Nike ad of 1995!

a video of the event
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U3VY0J7snk

poulao
Aug 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Looking forward to a posible match against Ana Ivanovic. And if she wins, which I dout Serena Williams. :lol: Let's hope she has a positive atitude and looks forward to the chalange.

stangtennis
Aug 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Caro plays doubles with Aga Radwanska in Toronto. :) They play Yan/Zheng in the 1st round.
Caro and Aga won in a tiebreaker.
Caro will also face Zheng in singles tomorrow after Zheng won her 1st round singles match.

stangtennis
Aug 18th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Except the fact that Caro haven't actually played any matches in the Stella McCartney outfit yet. The switch from Kirelenko to Wozniacki will first happen at the US Open.

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 18th, 2009, 11:47 PM
COURT 1
Starting at: 11:00 AM 17:00 CET
Agnes SZAVAY (HUN) vs Agnieszka RADWANSKA (POL)
followed by
Caroline WOZNIACKI (DEN) vs Jie ZHENG (CHN)

The good news is Caroline has just beaten Zheng in the doubles, and her doubles match comes 2nd.
The bad news is she has been banned too Court 1 for being in a slump, so we can't see her on €Sport or €Player.
The least she can do because of this is to WIN, and then go on to finally beat Irritatovic.
S Williams in the QF, well anything is possible in a non slam, but a big mouthfull.

Or she can continue her slump and loose to Zheng, we should now the answer any time between 19:00 -> 21:00 CET Wednesday.
Her doubles match looks like it will follow soon after on Granstand, so maybe she can win or loose 2 times in 1 day.

Protoss
Aug 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
New WTA International tournament should be on the way to Denmark in spring 2010.

http://www.dr.dk/Regioner/Kbh/Nyheder/Furesoe/2009/08/17/085655.htm&regional
Cool. :)

Looks like we know where Caro will play her 1 international tournament in the 1st half of next year if she's only allowed to play 1. :)

Protoss
Aug 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Hmmm...interesting draw for Caro.

Derek.
Aug 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Her season has been kind of disappointing since Madrid (besides Eastbourne). :sad:

Protoss
Aug 19th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Her serve was a major weapon for her in the grass season and her getting broken was a rarity , now her holding serve is incredibly rare.
Caro won 70% of points on her 1st serve during the grass season and won 63% of points on her 1st serve from Auckland through the French Open.

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 19th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Caroline’s slump continues, and gets another facet, now with choke.
From 5-2 up to loose the set 7-5, that’s very boring, let’s hope that it’s not a permanent part of her game.

Since 2006 when she started too compete on the adult tour (2005 was only 2 matches), she has only gone up in the ranks.
2006 9999 -> 237
2007 227 -> 67
2008 64 -> 12
2009 12 -> 8

Her goal was too get into the top 10 this year , she got there already after Madrid in May. After that she hasn’t played as well as she did before. Then it was easy being a fan, now it is very difficult.
Before it was only top 10 players she couldn’t beat.
Now her game is a mess and she not only isn’t improving but she has lost the consistency she had. With a reliable good (if not killer) serve, and getting nearly everything back. Now loosing matches she should be able to win.

She will loose the #8 spot and maybe soon slide out of the 10.

I hope she can turn things around soon and stay around #10, but I am afraid any radical revision of her game with a new trainer (which she can afford), which might get her ontrack again, won’t happen soon.
Even though she said earlier “why change anything that is working”, and is obvious from the side lines that now its not, I can’t see her suddenly being able too accept a new guy telling her stuff.

CloudAtlas
Aug 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
If Caro's game doesn't improve soon I hope she drops out of the top 10 by the end of the year , the last thing she would then need is to to play only 2 International events in the whole year!

Protoss
Aug 20th, 2009, 01:33 AM
If Caro's game doesn't improve soon I hope she drops out of the top 10 by the end of the year , the last thing she would then need is to to play only 2 International events in the whole year!
The problem is that Caro has 3700 points for this year in her best 14 results for this year (I took out her 15th and 16th best results from her YEC race total to make room for the US Open and the mandatory Beijing tournament). Flavia Pennetta at the #10 ranking has 3420 ranking points in her ranking. She only has 2420 points in her YEC race total though. Marion Bartoli is #10 in the YEC race with 2432 points.

So even if Caro were to do really poorly at the US Open and Beijing, she'd need 2 other players to play a lot better than they have in order to catch that 3700 point best 14 result.

Alex72
Aug 20th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Hopefully she gets her game tightened up before the U.S. Open.

Wolfruler
Aug 20th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Unfortunately, I think she is suffering from a mixture of "battle"-fatique(she has played alooooot of matches) and way too much focus on the media/showbizz. I really dont blame her, it can be very tempting to be swept away by all the attention and media-hype created around ones person! Personally I would rather see her concentrate more on the training than all that media circus crap like in Toronto!

Alex72
Aug 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Yes she is being given a lot to do as one of the front Adidas girls and I think that`s what the Toronto street tennis with Ana was about. One good thing is that Caro is making a lot of money and will be able to afford what she needs in the way of training. And I`d agree, she probably needs a break.

Protoss
Aug 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Caroline’s slump continues, and gets another facet, now with choke.
From 5-2 up to loose the set 7-5, that’s very boring, let’s hope that it’s not a permanent part of her game.

Since 2006 when she started too compete on the adult tour (2005 was only 2 matches), she has only gone up in the ranks.
2006 9999 -> 237
2007 227 -> 67
2008 64 -> 12
2009 12 -> 8

Her goal was too get into the top 10 this year , she got there already after Madrid in May. After that she hasn’t played as well as she did before. Then it was easy being a fan, now it is very difficult.
Before it was only top 10 players she couldn’t beat.
Now her game is a mess and she not only isn’t improving but she has lost the consistency she had. With a reliable good (if not killer) serve, and getting nearly everything back. Now loosing matches she should be able to win.

She will loose the #8 spot and maybe soon slide out of the 10.

I hope she can turn things around soon and stay around #10, but I am afraid any radical revision of her game with a new trainer (which she can afford), which might get her ontrack again, won’t happen soon.
Even though she said earlier “why change anything that is working”, and is obvious from the side lines that now its not, I can’t see her suddenly being able too accept a new guy telling her stuff.
That's a bit of a troubling attitude from Caro. She seems too satisifed with the current level of results that she can achieve. She doesn't seem to have the hunger, the fire in the belly, to rise up to the top of the game and contend for and win big tournaments. Azarenka certainly doesn't seem to be lacking in hunger.

Caro is too happy in her comfort zone and without going outside that she's not going to go much further than #8 or #9 in the world and 4th rounds at the slams. :shrug:

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Unfortunately, I think she is suffering from a mixture of "battle"-fatique(she has played alooooot of matches) and way too much focus on the media/showbizz. I really dont blame her, it can be very tempting to be swept away by all the attention and media-hype created around ones person! Personally I would rather see her concentrate more on the training than all that media circus crap like in Toronto!

Your right, its a bit of both, but since along to time ago, I and others have called for a new full time trainer.
If she had used those three weeks off, starting up with a full time tennis trainer, training TENNIS and not boxing, it might have helped.
Not that her Dad should go (or maybe should) but being trained tennis by a pro as well full time.
Groenfeld is good but he trains many and cannot advise up too a match where both are Adidas.

Protoss
Aug 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hmmm...I don't know what quite to make of this. Caro's serve and groundstrokes were pretty good in her 1st doubles match in Toronto according to this match report. :confused:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=16294688&postcount=541

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks too Protoss's post on the Schedule Thread, we now know that Carolines late summer/early autumn looks like this.

August 23-29 New Haven Prem

Aug 31-Sep 13 US Open New York GS

Sep 27-Oct 3 Tokyo Prem

Oct 3-11 Beijing Prem

Oct 12-18 Osaka Inter

3 things :-

1 What will she do with the minimum 14 days off between US Open and Tokyo?

2 Why is she entering yet again an International?

3 I cannot find anything on ITF WTA or anywhere about a Danish tournament this year. Last year was Odense, earlier this year it was annonced as being at Farum Arena, "date to be annonced"
Anyone have any info.

Next year There should be a WTA Tournament in Danmark.
For anyone who didn't know, it is Caroline's Danish Managment that is organizing this stuff.
Piotr Wozniacki is employed by Nordic Sports Group as a "Client Manager" and Caroline is there only named client.

Protoss
Aug 21st, 2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks too Protoss's post on the Schedule Thread, we now know that Carolines late summer/early autumn looks like this.

August 23-29 New Haven Prem

Aug 31-Sep 13 US Open New York GS

Sep 27-Oct 3 Tokyo Prem

Oct 3-11 Beijing Prem

Oct 12-18 Osaka Inter

3 things :-

1 What will she do with the minimum 14 days off between US Open and Tokyo?

2 Why is she entering yet again an International?

3 I cannot find anything on ITF WTA or anywhere about a Danish tournament this year. Last year was Odense, earlier this year it was annonced as being at Farum Arena, "date to be annonced"
Anyone have any info.

Next year There should be a WTA Tournament in Danmark.
For anyone who didn't know, it is Caroline's Danish Managment that is organizing this stuff.
Piotr Wozniacki is employed by Nordic Sports Group as a "Client Manager" and Caroline is there only named client.
Rest I suppose combined with some training. I'd prefer if they did some different training than they did after Wimbledon as that doesn't seem to have worked out that well so far.

Well if she wants to play that week it's either Osaka or Linz, both of which are international tournaments. She won the Osaka tournament last year when it was played in Tokyo (the AIG Japan Open), so why not go defend her title?

Hugh.
Aug 21st, 2009, 10:44 AM
Caro is playing doubles with Sorana at USO. :)

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=16308795&postcount=34

Protoss
Aug 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM
Caro is playing doubles with Sorana at USO. :)

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=16308795&postcount=34
Oh goodie...the Choke Team is back. :rolleyes:

Hugh.
Aug 21st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Oh goodie...the Choke Team is back. :rolleyes:
Yeah :rolleyes: They've only won 2 out of their 7 matches together this year! :o

Protoss
Aug 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM
Caro has a new blog entry up on her website. :)

Unfortunately she doesn't say anything about what happened in her singles match. :( Heh...she says in her blog that she got revenge for her singles loss in doubles except she actually played her doubles match first. :p :rolleyes:

SOA_MC
Aug 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Sorana great :yeah::rolleyes:

But it may be good thing because I want a slam breakthrough result in singles :rocker2:

Jorn
Aug 21st, 2009, 01:06 PM
It was a good win in doubles against a former top team :)

New Haven Seeds:

#6 Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS
#8 Caroline Wozniacki DEN
#10 Flavia Pennetta ITA
#12 Nadia Petrova RUS
#13 Agnieszka Radwanska POL
#14 Marion Bartoli FRA
#15 Dominika Cibulkova SVK
#16 Amelie Mauresmo FRA

Good Luck Caro, I hope she get a good draw! Even with her current form everybody will be tough matchup...

Maindraw is done tonight 18:30 CET , but they are late posting the Draws...

FormerlyKnownAs
Aug 22nd, 2009, 12:55 AM
New Haven Draw

[1/WC]Kuznetsova vs. Zheng
Qualifier vs. Kleybanova
A.Bondarenko vs. [WC]Shaughnessy
Sugiyama vs. [8]Mauresmo

[4/WC]Petrova vs. Chakvetadze
Bammer vs. Medina Garrigues
Vesnina vs. Dulko
Cornet vs. [7]Cibulkova

[6]Bartoli vs. Martinez Sanchez
Schiavone vs. Qualifier
Benesova vs. Stosur
Qualifier vs. [3]Pennetta

[5]A.Radwanska vs. Qualifier
Schnyder vs. Razzano
Makarova vs. Pavlyuchenkova
Suarez Navarro vs. [2]Wozniacki

Not the worst draw, before I would have said fine, but who knows what will happen with the way Caroline has been playing.

CloudAtlas
Aug 22nd, 2009, 12:59 AM
Hmm..not to sure about this. CSN can be tricky, I'm not expecting anything.

Linoller
Aug 22nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
Well not a bad draw, but we know Caroline isn't in her best form :help:, I just hope she can improve her game before the USO.