PDA

View Full Version : Sloane Stephens

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Ballbasher
Jul 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
I really think Sloane has proved her potential in both junior slams [FO & WI] and I hope her win against Czink in USO Q is a set up for a smooth transition! :)
I think it's time for her right before her nxt big match-up against Kristina Mladenovic[1]
All the best Sloane! :D

simonsaystennis
Jul 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM
Go Sloane! This is a big test.
I agree, she deserves a thread. Let's hope she gets some summer hard court wild cards. She can play a lot of tournaments since she hasn't played much pro this year.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
I wish Sloane all the best against the #1 seed tomorow! :D:bounce:

Uranium
Jul 2nd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Kristina again:rolleyes:

Come on Sloane:rocker2:

Uranium
Jul 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
1-6 0-6:(

simonsaystennis
Jul 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Damn, Mladenovic is on fire.
It's alright Sloane, nice tournament. :hug: Now play some pro tournaments and start to transition!

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Sloane :hug:

hellas719
Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Sloane:hug:
Thread:D

Amalgamate
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Sloane def. Venus Williams 5-3 in WTT. Must have been an awesome experience for her :yeah:

hellas719
Jul 10th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Sloane:speakles::worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Sloane def. Venus Williams 5-3 in WTT. Must have been an awesome experience for her :yeah:

Wow :eek:...WHAT A WIN! :dance:

Amalgamate
Jul 27th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I can't believe how little love Sloane gets on this forum when she is by far one of our most promising prospects :confused: Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say Sloane should step up the pro tournaments, hopefully she just plays US Open Jrs and is done with the Juniors forever! However, I know she is entered into girls Hardcourts, perhaps just for the MD WC into the US Open.

simonsaystennis
Jul 27th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I can't believe how little love Sloane gets on this forum when she is by far one of our most promising prospects :confused: Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say Sloane should step up the pro tournaments, hopefully she just plays US Open Jrs and is done with the Juniors forever! However, I know she is entered into girls Hardcourts, perhaps just for the MD WC into the US Open.

I am definitely a fan of Sloane. She just hasn't been playing enough to cause a lot of buzz. I agree with you, hopefully the US Open will be her farewell to juniors. I am hoping that she'll play a lot of ITFs this fall to start moving her ranking up. If she stays in the top 10, she'll qualify for the Junior Exempt which will help her play more. :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 27th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I am definitely a fan of Sloane. She just hasn't been playing enough to cause a lot of buzz. I agree with you, hopefully the US Open will be her farewell to juniors. I am hoping that she'll play a lot of ITFs this fall to start moving her ranking up. If she stays in the top 10, she'll qualify for the Junior Exempt which will help her play more. :)

Yeah, that should help her out with getting into some more tourneys. I hope she plays the full slate of JR slams next year. :bounce:

hellas719
Jul 27th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I like Sloane:shrug:

Amalgamate
Jul 28th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I like Sloane:shrug:

I love Sloane! I just want her to step up the amount of pro tournaments she plays! I think she could do really well!

Amalgamate
Jul 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM
WTT Summary
Juniors Make Splash for New York Buzz
by Joshua Rey, 28 July 2009

BOSTON - In a league that serves as a "Who's Who" of tennis each July, the New York Buzz could have been overlooked for what they weren't. No Hall of Famers or former No. 1s strengthened their roster. No journeymen or comeback kids were on their team.

Playing against some of the most decorated professionals to ever play the game, New York had no pros. But look no further for the future of American tennis than the Albany-based Buzz.

Sloane Stephens of the New York Buzz
© Julie Wrege, TennisRecruiting.net
Florida juniors Sloane Stephens and Alex Domijan wrapped up three of the most hectic weeks of their young tennis careers Wednesday when their Buzz fell to the Boston Lobsters, 20-16, in the World TeamTennis season finale. Of the 10 WTT teams, the Buzz were the only squad this season without a Grand Slam champion. They finished with a 4-10 team record.

"It was really intimidating at the beginning," said Stephens. "But then you realize that it's only for experience and you relax a little bit. We have nothing to lose because we're juniors playing against people who have actually won Grand Slams. For us, it's not that bad."

To make matters more difficult for the young Buzz, Christina McHale caught an illness at Wimbledon and Evan King suffered an eye injury after returning from England. Both were drafted by the Buzz in March, but missed the entire WTT season. With little time for the league to find permanent replacements, Stephens and Domijan played doubles all season with a merry-go-round of substitutes - all of whom were also juniors.

After pairing with Allie Will and Beatrice Capra, Stephens settled in with future Stanford Cardinal player Mallory Burdette. Domijan juggled four partners before teaming with Vanderbilt-bound Ryan Lipman for the final seven matches of the season.

On the singles court, Domijan and Stephens held their own against experienced opponents. At 6'7", the 17-year-old Domijan already possesses a powerful game, which helped him defeat American veterans Robert Kendrick, Michael Russell and Scott Oudsema. Stephens, the sixth-ranked junior girl in the world, finished the season with an 8-4 record in women's singles. Among her victims were WTA No. 107 Vania King, No. 134 Stephanie Foretz and No. 188 Abigail Spears.

When the Buzz hosted the Philadelphia Freedoms on July 9th, seven-time Slam winner Venus Williams was pitted against Stephens in women's singles. The Buzz trailed 13-11 when the 16-year-old Stephens took to the court to play a childhood hero.

The youngster outserved one of the biggest servers in women's tennis, making 68 percent of her first serves to Williams' 50 percent. In a No-Ad set to five games, Stephens proved to be the better player when the pressure was on. She saved three of four break points and won both of the winner-take-all deuces to upset Williams, 5-3, and tie the team score at 16.

"When I beat Venus, it was like, 'Oh, well. She won Wimbledon like five times. That's awesome,'" said Stephens. "But tomorrow's a new day and you have to play somebody else."

Domijan has experienced success with the Buzz
© Doug Wrege, TennisRecruiting.net
Indeed, the Buzz left Albany almost immediately to play in Kansas City one day after the "Big W," as Stephens calls it. Such is the circus-style life of a World TeamTennis player.

Stephens of Fort Lauderdale and Domijan of Gainesville each arrived in Albany after reaching the quarterfinals of the Wimbledon juniors draw. In the past year, both have enjoyed 16-match winning streaks on the ITF Junior Circuit. They also share a dislike for Randall's Island, home to Kendrick, Spears and the in-state rival New York Sportimes.

"I didn't really like playing at that place," admitted Domijan. "The court is different than any other. It's a lot quicker."

Though he beat Kendrick in Albany on July 6th, Domijan lost both his away matches against the 69th-ranked American. Stephens also struggled on the road, failing to win a game against Spears in two away meetings despite defeating the elder American inside the friendly confines of Albany's SEFCU Arena.

"We had come from indoors where we were ripping balls left and right because the courts were slower," said Stephens. "Then we got to the fast hard court and we didn't have the first shot and we were like, 'Oh God.'"

Though she's not a fan of the rainbow-colored WTT court on Randall's Island, Stephens has proven that she can play well no matter what's underneath her Nikes. Before her run on the lawns of Wimbledon, she reached the semifinals at Roland Garros and won titles at an ITF Grade A event on clay in Italy and a Grade 1 hard-court tournament in California.

Domijan is no one-surface wonder either. His lone final at the professional level came on clay at an ATP Futures event last June and he straight-setted French Open champion Daniel Berta in the Round of 16 at Wimbledon. Since December 2007, Domijan has defeated five junior Grand Slam champions, including reigning Australian Open champion Yuki Bhambri and US Open champion Grigor Dimitrov. But winning a junior slam isn't atop the American's immediate goals.

"I'd like to do well in a Challenger and maybe win a Future," said Domijan.

Success is about where the similarities end between Domijan and Stephens. The soft-spoken Domijan is naturally shy off court and rarely shows his emotions on it. His game is built around a big serve that allows him to shorten points.

Stephens is already a show(wo)man at 16. With music blaring onto the court during breaks in the action Wednesday, Stephens danced to Nelly's "Hot in Herre" and sang along with Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall". But when the ball was in play, Stephens was all business, grinding out long rallies in her singles match and pummeling passing shots during doubles.

A lot of nights she's been the driving force, playing three matches where Alex might play two," said Roger Smith, head coach of the Buzz and a national coach with the USTA. "Just the ability to let one set go - whether you win or lose - and get ready for the next set, then let that go and get ready for the third set."

"Stephens proved her coach right Wednesday. Teaming with Domijan in mixed doubles to open the evening, she showed no regard for the serve of Boston's James Auckland, pummeling a backhand return winner in the opening game. But after Auckland held, Domijan made a series of volley errors to drop serve and was replaced by Lipman shortly thereafter. One break was enough for Auckland and Raquel Kops-Jones to take the event.

Immediately following mixed doubles, Stephens faced Foretz in women's singles. But any questions about the teen's mental and physical toughness were quickly put to rest. On the very first point of the event, Stephens moved her 28-year-old opponent back-and-forth for about a minute until Foretz finally caved with a forehand into the net.

Before the Frenchwoman knew it, she was down a break, 2-0. Stephens followed a flat first serve with a short-angled cross-court forehand winner to take a 3-0 lead. She nearly ran Foretz off the court with another sharp, top spin forehand for a 4-0 advantage.

After dropping the mixed doubles 5-2, Stephens evened the encounter with a down-the-line backhand passing shot to win women's singles by the same score. She improved to 3-0 against Foretz on the season.

"I know what she's capable of doing and I see it every day," said Smith, who also coached Stephens during the 2008 Junior Fed Cup. "My goal has always been to get her to play more consistently with a certain level, and if she does that, the sky's the limit."

In men's singles, Domijan faced retired American pro Jan-Michael Gambill for the fourth time during the WTT season. Gambill won their previous three encounters.

"I'm going to try to react to his serve a little bit better and make him hit more balls in his service games," Domijan said prior to Wednesday's meeting.

Unfortunately for Domijan, Gambill pounded serves and pounced on short balls like it was 1999. Gambill won all eight points when he made his first serve, while Domijan lost three game points in both of his own service games. A 5-0 win for Gambill made him 4-0 against his young countryman.

That put Stephens in familiar territory, needing to win women's doubles with Burdette to give the Buzz a chance to end the season victorious. As she did in singles, Stephens started strongly. She broke Foretz's serve by dismissing a down-the-line forehand return winner past Kops-Jones at the net. Serving at 2-0, Stephens hit the same shot with the same result, leading one fan sitting behind press row to ask, "What's her name?"

The Boston faithful were silenced when Stephens belted a backhand return winner to break Kops-Jones and give the Buzz a 4-0 lead. The Lobsters rallied to reclaim three games before a Burdette return drew the error that claimed the event for New York, 5-3. Stephens and Burdette improved to 5-4 on the season, including wins over Rennae Stubbs, a former world No. 1 in doubles, and Martina Navratilova, a 31-time Grand Slam doubles champion.

Stephens was happy to reunite with Burdette, whom she partnered to the 2008 US Open girls' doubles final. They trained together for three years under Nick Saviano in Sunrise, Fla.

"I kind of know what she's going to do," said Stephens. "We play good doublers together so it's worked out well."

"In the evening's final event, Domijan played men's doubles with Lipman, who lifted the tall teen's spirit with his quick hands at the net and vocal support between points. Facing four break points at 2-3, Domijan made four consecutive first serves to dig the Buzz out of trouble. Then, down 0-2 in a tiebreaker, Domijan put away forehand volleys on back-to-back points. The shots that he missed in mixed, he made in men's doubles.

"From the first match to the last match tonight, there's been a major improvement," said Coach Smith. "Through the ups and downs, they just want to get better."

The experience of Gambill, Auckland and the Lobsters won out when they clinched men's doubles and the match in a tiebreaker, 5-4.

Neither Domijan nor Stephens was sure if their experience playing against professionals would impact their decisions to go pro or follow Lipman and Burdette to college. Domijan credited the faster-and-louder format of TeamTennis with helping him get off to quicker starts in matches and get used to playing in front of rowdy crowds. Stephens wouldn't reveal what she's learned about herself since her first WTT match July 6th.

"I can't really tell you because it's a secret," she said with a smile. "I'm going to use it as a strong force over the next couple years. Hopefully what I've learned - a key ingredient - will help me along the way."

One thing Stephens isn't ashamed to admit is that this was a summer she will remember fondly.

"It's been an interesting three weeks that we went through as a team," she said. "Maybe tonight's our last match but we'll look back and say that we did enjoy it and it was a great experience."

Sloane, are you going to turn pro? :hehehe:

simonsaystennis
Jul 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Very cool article! Thanks for posting. Hopefully this experience will be very valuable to Sloane and will help her as her career begins.

On two side notes:
1. I'm excited about Domijan. We have some exciting up and coming guys too, which is good to hear. :)
2. Get well soon Christina! :hug:

hellas719
Jul 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM

hellas719
Jul 31st, 2009, 03:52 AM
Los Angeles QWC :aparty:

simonsaystennis
Jul 31st, 2009, 04:24 AM
:bounce:

Amalgamate
Jul 31st, 2009, 07:55 AM
Do damage Sloane :rocker2: (I'm bitter CoCO got the MDWC over Sloane...)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for posting the article :bounce:

Good Luck SLOANE! :bounce: The Q draw should be out soon :D

Srodgers
Aug 1st, 2009, 02:18 AM
LA Qualies:
25 RODIONOVA, Anastasia RUS
26 POUTCHEK, Tatiana BLR

27 STEPHENS, Sloane USA
28 WIENEROVA, Lenka SVK

Good luck sloane

simonsaystennis
Aug 1st, 2009, 02:22 AM
Decent draw. I wish she wasn't in the same section as Alison though. :sad:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 1st, 2009, 02:29 AM
Decent draw. I wish she wasn't in the same section as Alison though. :sad:

Me to, Kimiko is going to be very hard to beat. Good Luck to Sloane! I think she has a solid shot at beating Lenka :bounce:

Amalgamate
Aug 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM
Good luck Sloane :rocker2:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
Sloane def Lenka 6/1 6/2 ! :woohoo:

ArturoAce.
Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
great job :yeah:

iPatty
Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:25 AM
I don't think beating Rodionova or Poutchek is out of the question, so a WTA MD for Sloane is looking very likely. :eek:

Srodgers
Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
great job sloane!

simonsaystennis
Aug 2nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
Yeah Sloane! Great job! Take out Rodionova net please. :)

hellas719
Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Sloane:eek::banana:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Sloane just lost to Rodionova today 3 and 1...Nice try... :hug:

simonsaystennis
Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Nice try Sloane. Keep improving. A win over Wienerova is great though. I hope she plays the ITFs like crazy this fall..

hellas719
Aug 4th, 2009, 02:29 AM

hellas719
Aug 4th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Nice try Sloane. Keep improving. A win over Wienerova is great though. I hope she plays the ITFs like crazy this fall..

And wins them like crazy:devil:

Amalgamate
Aug 7th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Sloane withdrew from Nationals. The only excuse I'll forgive is if she has already gotten word she will recieve a MDWC to the Open.

hellas719
Aug 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I hope so:scared:

simonsaystennis
Aug 9th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I don't like this news one bit....

darrinbaker00
Aug 9th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Sloane withdrew from Nationals. The only excuse I'll forgive is if she has already gotten word she will recieve a MDWC to the Open.
Even if that's true, I think she still would have played. She must be too injured to play.

hellas719
Aug 21st, 2009, 02:32 AM
Sloane got a US Open QWC :yeah:
But it should've been a MDWC :shrug:

ArturoAce.
Aug 21st, 2009, 02:34 AM
Sloane got a US Open QWC :yeah:
But it should've been a MDWC :shrug:

she hasn't made enough noise to recieve a mdwc yet. imo:p

simonsaystennis
Aug 21st, 2009, 02:35 AM
She should have played the 18s, unless she was actually injured. Hopefully she qualifies. I agree though, should have been a MD WC.

Ballbasher
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Sloane is scheduled to play Neuza Silva, if sshe is in form this is very possible to win for her. Hopefully she can do it! :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
A very nice 1st rd match up! Good Luck Sloane! :bounce:

simonsaystennis
Aug 25th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Winnable round 1. :) Go Sloane! :)

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Go Sloane!:bounce:

ArturoAce.
Aug 25th, 2009, 05:02 AM
hmmm. silva...
Very winnable.. LET'S GO Sloane! :rocker2:

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 05:45 PM
4-1 for Silva :sad:

simonsaystennis
Aug 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Ugh, today is not going well so far... Come on Sloane!!!!

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM
2-4* :)

simonsaystennis
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM
3-6 :( Take it in 3 Sloane!

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Sloane lost the first set 6-3 :sad:

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Alex beat me :ras::lol:

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
1-0 Sloane :D

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM
*2-0 :hearts:

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:21 PM
2-1* :(

simonsaystennis
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
2-3* I don't think I can watch these scores anymore... I'm getting too worked up. :lol:

simonsaystennis
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
2-5.... WOW. :o This is going to be a pretty crappy first day quallies unless Sloane fights back.

tennisbuddy12
Aug 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM
3-6,2-6...that was disapointing.

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM
:(

hammerhead
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Interesting post on GM...says her "management" thinks it was a terrible mistake to play WTT and that it wore her out completely

hellas719
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM
:awww:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
That was a tough loss...Sloane :hug:

simonsaystennis
Aug 26th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Interesting post on GM...says her "management" thinks it was a terrible mistake to play WTT and that it wore her out completely

Wow, surprising since in a couple of articles I read she said that she learned some really important things from WTT.

hellas719
Aug 26th, 2009, 01:27 AM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_009_Stephens.jpg

simonsaystennis
Aug 26th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Nice picture. I think the problem right now with Sloane is that she hasn't played many pro tournies... like at all. She has played three this year I think, and eight or nine last year. Very little experience. I hope she plays a lot this fall. There's no reason why she shouldn't max out on her number of tournaments that she can play.

hellas719
Aug 26th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I think she should play maybe one 10K and then like 2 or 3 25K's and then 2 or 3 50-100K's for the rest of the year:p

Srodgers
Aug 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
1st round doubles:
Patricia Mayr AUT
Stefanie Voegele SUI
v

Sloane Stephens USA
Mashona Washington USA

with mashona :hearts: and nice matchup!

ArturoAce.
Aug 30th, 2009, 08:19 PM
nice matchup and draw!!

Fight girls!! :rocker2:

hellas719
Aug 31st, 2009, 02:09 AM

simonsaystennis
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/09/03/john_stephens_43_patriots_back_was_88_rookie_of_ye ar/?camp=localsearch:on:twit:patriotsextra

I saw this on zootennis.com
Sloane's dad was killed in a car accident on Tuesday. My prayers go out to Sloane and her family. That's so tragic. :sad:

Amalgamate
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Yea, Sloane's dad died. :hug: Sloane :sad: I am so sorry.

hellas719
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:18 AM
:bigcry::awww:

hellas719
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Sloane and Mashona lost 64 26 16 :tears:

Amalgamate
Sep 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Good for Sloane for even getting out there on the court :sad:

ArturoAce.
Sep 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM
darn itttt! :(

at least they made it somewhat close :awww:

simonsaystennis
Sep 4th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I wonder if she'll still play the junior open. That would be so hard. I couldn't imagine getting out there and playing, but perhaps playing would help
her deal with the loss. Dedicate it to her dad. :hug: This is seriously so sad.

simonsaystennis
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Sloane won her 1st round match against Polina Leykina, 6-4 6-2 :)

Ballbasher
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM
All my condelences to Sloane. :hug:

So amazing to see she competes and even wins. :worship:

hellas719
Sep 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM
:banana:

tucker1989
Sep 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Sloane won her girls doubles first round this morning with Burdette, presumably so she could make a flight this afternoon. Keep it up Sloane!

simonsaystennis
Sep 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Wow, it is so incredible that she is finding strength to play in the midst of this tragedy. It must be hard. I hope she wins. :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 8th, 2009, 01:48 AM
A couple very nice wins for Sloane. :bounce: It must have been so tough to go out there and concentrate under the circumstances. :hug:

Uranium
Sep 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I heard that the USTA will be fixing the scheduling so that she could go to the funeral today, and to try to help her go and still compete here. Sloane:hug::worship:

simonsaystennis
Sep 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Good job USTA! :)

simonsaystennis
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Sloane won 7-6 3-6 6-2
I hope she wins it

iPatty
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Great win for Sloane over a talented girl who won a pro title this year, especially under these circumstances. I'm rooting for Sloane all the way this tournament, she deserves it.

hellas719
Sep 9th, 2009, 11:15 PM
:woohoo:
Who did she beat?

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Nice going Sloane! :D:bounce:

Uranium
Sep 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM
6-4 1-6 0-6:(
Good try though Sloane:hug:

simonsaystennis
Sep 10th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Tough. Probably ran out of gas, which is so understandable. :hug:

hellas719
Sep 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Sloane is such a trooper:hug:

Kevin.
Oct 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Sloane has signed with some agency which means she has turned pro. I am not surprised at all.

simonsaystennis
Oct 13th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Wow great news. :) I hope she plays a lot next year. :) Anyone know if she has signed up for any ITFs this fall?

hellas719
Oct 13th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Good to hear :)

simonsaystennis
Oct 13th, 2009, 06:44 PM
BEST signs young tennis phenom Stephens

Business First of Louisville

BEST Tennis, a division of Blue Entertainment Sports Television, has signed a multi-year deal to represent American junior tennis player Sloane Stephens.

Louisville-based BEST beat out sports management heavyweights IMG, CAA, Octagon and Lagardere Unlimited to represent Stephens, BEST officials said in a news release.

Stephens, 16, is ranked No. 6 on the ITF Junior World rankings and has been ranked as high as No. 3.

She will be managed by BEST Tennis president John Tobias and Donald Dell, BEST Group president for tennis, television and events.

“We are very excited to add Sloane to our roster of BEST clients,” Tobias said in the release. “Sloane has proven herself as the top American junior and we are looking forward to working closely with her as she makes the transition into the professional ranks.”

Over the next few weeks, Stephens will compete on a six-city exhibition tour with other BEST Tennis clients, including brothers Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, John Isner, Mardy Fish and Melanie Oudin.

In 2010, Stephens will compete in several Sony Ericsson WTA Tour events in the United States.

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 15th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Thats awesome news! I didn't know there was such a fierce bidding war to sign Sloane! :worship:

hellas719
Oct 15th, 2009, 03:26 AM
100th post :banana::lol:

hellas719
Jan 11th, 2010, 03:04 AM
$25,000 Plantation QR1:
Sloane Stephens (USA) d. Jessica Yanoff (USA) 60 60 :yeah:
QR2 vs. (1/WC) Irigoyen :scared:
GL Sloane! :bounce:

hellas719
Jan 12th, 2010, 03:43 AM
QR2: (1/wc)Maria Irigoyen (ARG) d. Sloane Stephens (USA) 75 26 61 :(

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 12th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Nice try Sloan :hug:

hellas719
Jan 17th, 2010, 02:51 AM
25K Lutz QR1:
(16)Alexandra Mueller (USA) v Sloane Stephens (USA) :bounce:
GL Sloane! :rocker2:

hellas719
Jan 18th, 2010, 04:51 AM
64 60 :cool:

hellas719
Jan 19th, 2010, 02:08 AM
QR2: Sloane Stephens (USA) d. Valeria Solovieva (RUS) 63 63 :yeah:

hellas719
Jan 20th, 2010, 03:18 AM
QR3: Sloane Stephens def. Lauren Embree 4-6 6-3 6-3 :banana:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 20th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Nice fight Sloane :yeah:

hellas719
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:11 PM
R1: (6)Julia Cohen (USA) d. (Q) Sloane Stephens (USA) 76(2) 75

hellas719
Jan 31st, 2010, 04:35 AM
25K Rancho Mirage QR1:
Sloane Stephens (USA) v Mi Yoo (KOR) :bounce:

*hingis_forever*
Jan 31st, 2010, 05:12 AM
Come on Sloane! After hearing her interviewed on the tennis channel last year during Roland Garros I've really started to like her. 2010 could be a great year for her. :D

hellas719
Feb 1st, 2010, 01:54 AM
75 57 63 :D
QR2 vs. Augustine USA :bounce:

hellas719
Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
7-5 6-3 :banana:
QR3 vs. (7) Litvak :mad:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:21 AM
FQ:(7)Lena Litvak d. Sloane Stephens 63 16 60

Nice try Sloane :hug: Atleast she got in some solid match play this week :bounce:

hellas719
Feb 3rd, 2010, 02:53 AM

hellas719
Feb 7th, 2010, 03:35 AM
25K Laguna Niguel QR1:
Sloane Stephens (USA) v Zoe Gwen Scandalis (USA)

hellas719
Feb 8th, 2010, 04:43 AM
63 61 :yeah:
QR2 vs. (1) L.Kichenok UKR :scared:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 9th, 2010, 01:05 AM
QR2:Sloane Stephens (USA) d. (1)Lyudmyla Kichenok (UKR) 62 63 :yeah:

The scoreline is :drool:

hellas719
Feb 9th, 2010, 04:59 AM
:worship:

hellas719
Feb 11th, 2010, 12:47 AM
She won in QR3 over Fink 6-7 6-4 6-1 :woohoo:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2010, 02:19 AM
1R: (6) Abigail Spears (USA) d. (Q)Sloane Stephens (USA) 60 62

Nice job with qualifying :bounce:. Abi is a tough opponent to play in your 2nd match of the day :p

Srodgers
Feb 11th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Good job qualifying :D
Too bad you drew Abi :sad:

hellas719
Feb 11th, 2010, 03:06 AM

hellas719
Feb 16th, 2010, 01:19 AM
25K Surprise:
R1: (JE) Sloane Stephens USA vs. Q :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 16th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hopefully Sloane can scalp a win this week... GL! :bounce:

hellas719
Feb 16th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Doubles Draw:
(1)Lu/Sun (CHN) v (Q)Arefyeva/Lytovchenko (UKR)
Aoyama/Litvak (JPN/USA) v (Q)Kim/Yoo (KOR)

(3)Spears/Vandeweghe (USA) v Molinero/Uberoi (ARG/IND)
Fusano/Nagle (USA) v (wc)Tsay/Gibbs (USA)

Nara/South (JPN/GBR) v (wc)Christian/Stephens (USA)
(4)Ji/Xu (CHN) v (wc)Krisan/Solovieva (USA/RUS)

Kichenok/Kichenok (UKR) v Couts/McHale (USA)
(2)Cravero/Irigoyen (ARG) v Cecil/Moulton-Levy (USA)

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 17th, 2010, 12:55 AM
1R:(wc)Christian/Stephens (USA) d. Nara/South (JPN/GBR) 46 76(5) 10-4 :yeah:

hellas719
Feb 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM
QF vs. (4) Ji/Xu (CHN) ;)

Singles R1 vs. Claire de Gubernatis (FRA) :bounce:

Srodgers
Feb 18th, 2010, 01:15 AM
(Q)Claire de Gubernatis (FRA) d. (JE)Sloane Stephens (USA) 64 64

Sloane :sad: :hug:

hellas719
Feb 18th, 2010, 03:35 AM
:fiery:

hellas719
Feb 19th, 2010, 05:51 AM
QF vs. (4) Ji/Xu (CHN) ;)

Singles R1 vs. Claire de Gubernatis (FRA) :bounce:

3-6 3-6 :hug:

simonsaystennis
Mar 4th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Indian Wells QWC! :)

hellas719
Mar 4th, 2010, 02:33 AM
:yeah:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 4th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I'm happy to see the USTA continue to support Sloane at such a young age... GL! :bounce:

Amalgamate
Mar 6th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Good luck Sloane. Let's have a good year :yeah:

hellas719
Mar 8th, 2010, 02:57 AM
IW QR1 vs. (22) Voracova ;)

Srodgers
Mar 8th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Let's go sloane! :D

simonsaystennis
Mar 8th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Go Sloane! :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 8th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Give it your best Sloane! :bounce:

simonsaystennis
Mar 9th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Sloane won 6-2 6-1 :woohoo:

Kevin.
Mar 9th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Voracova is one of those crafty players (check her out on youtube) and nearly took out Davenport at her last Wimbledon.Very impressed!

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 9th, 2010, 02:10 AM
VERY impressive win :eek:! Sloane :worship:

Amalgamate
Mar 9th, 2010, 02:42 AM
:worship: Sloane! Amazing! :hearts: Good luck next round :rocker2:

hellas719
Mar 9th, 2010, 03:53 AM
:worship:

Phil=)
Mar 9th, 2010, 05:17 AM
:hearts::hearts:
Very nice win!

Srodgers
Mar 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Sloane :eek: :D

simonsaystennis
Mar 9th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Sloane is up two breaks (4-1) against Parra Santonja!!! :bounce: Keep going!

simonsaystennis
Mar 9th, 2010, 11:37 PM
5-1!! :)

simonsaystennis
Mar 9th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Sloane breaks a third time! 6-1!!! Win in straights!!

simonsaystennis
Mar 9th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Sloane breaks back to even it 2-2 in the second! Come on!! :)

simonsaystennis
Mar 9th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Broken back :( 2-3

simonsaystennis
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Breaks back 3-3! :D

simonsaystennis
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Holds for 4-3!!

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Keep going SLOANE! :woohoo:

simonsaystennis
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM
She Did It!!! 6-1 6-3!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :) :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:19 AM
:woohoo: Such a dominate performance! :eek::worship:

Srodgers
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Sloane!!! :eek: :bounce:

Awesome job!

Uranium
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Good job on Qualifying, Sloane:yeah:

ArturoAce.
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:41 AM
sloane :yeah:

iGOAT
Mar 10th, 2010, 03:40 AM
She drew Hradecka :scared: another big test, she has nothing to lose :D.

hellas719
Mar 10th, 2010, 04:42 AM

Ballbasher
Mar 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM
SLoane :yeah: :speakles: :inlove:

Phil=)
Mar 10th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Soooo proud of you Sloane :hearts:

tennisbuddy12
Mar 12th, 2010, 04:38 AM
7-6,7-6 win! :woohoo: Zvonareva next!

Amalgamate
Mar 12th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Sloane :bowdown: :hearts:

Amalgamate
Mar 12th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Sloane :bowdown: :hearts:

Srodgers
Mar 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM
way to go sloane!!! :bounce:

Uranium
Mar 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Great win for Sloane. Who would have thought 10 months after that RG Junior SF would translate to be a 2nd round in Indian Wells after Qualifying:lol:

Phil=)
Mar 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Sloaaaaaaaaaaaane:hearts:
Her ranking will boost after that!:bounce:

simonsaystennis
Mar 12th, 2010, 06:35 PM
What a tournament for her!!! :D :bounce:

hellas719
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Sloane :D:inlove:
This will move her ranking to #364 (from 747) according to TBE's thread :bowdown:

Did you guys see her mini-interview on TTC's court report? She was so cute :)

hellas719
Mar 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
She's playing Zvonareva tomorrow on Stadium 1!!!!!!!!!!!
Not before 7 PM (10 PM eastern time) ;)
It WILL be on TTC :hearts:

simonsaystennis
Mar 13th, 2010, 01:13 AM
^ YES! Thanks for the info! And I will turn on TTC until I see her interview. :lol:

Amalgamate
Mar 13th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Great win for Sloane. Who would have thought 10 months after that RG Junior SF would translate to be a 2nd round in Indian Wells after Qualifying:lol:

:scratch: I wouldn't have doubted it...

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Who is watching on TTC?

1-0* :woohoo:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:19 AM
*1-1 :sad:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:24 AM
2-1* :aparty:
So many amazing rallies here, I really hope someone makes highlights on youtube, it's a really great match honestly, too bad only 6 people are in the stadium watching :o

young_gunner913
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:25 AM
is there any streams? i dont have TTC :sobbing:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Lets gooooo Sloane! :rocker2:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:28 AM
*2-2 :(

I don't know about streams, check atdhe.net, channelsurfing.net, fromsport.com, etc. or check the tournament forum :shrug:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Tracy Austin said that she's worked with Sloane and she's a lot of fun, and she spent the week before this tournament training in Palm Springs with Christina McHale, Coco Vandeweghe, and Jose Higueras (sp.?) :)

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:31 AM
2-3* :sad:
C'mon Sloane! Break back! You can do it!

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:39 AM
*2-4 :sad:
Fight, Sloane! You can do it! :rocker2:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:42 AM
3-4* :banana:
Let's break her now! :bounce:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:49 AM
*3-5 :(
Sloane keeps coming so close to breaking, but she just can't do it :(

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Love hold :cool:
4-5* :yeah:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:55 AM
First set 6-4 to Zvonareva :sad:
But Sloane has played great all set and has a lot of positives to take from this match, and it's STILL not over! :bounce:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:59 AM
1-0* :yeah:
TTC is showing Isner now, so I'm only seeing the livescores :p

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:03 AM
*2-0 :woohoo:

I wish I could see this now :(

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:09 AM
2-1* :mad:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:15 AM
*3-1 :inlove:
TTC is showing her match again :D

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:19 AM
3-2* :sad:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:23 AM
*3-3 :tears:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM
3-4* :bigcry:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:34 AM
*4-4 :banana:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:37 AM
5-4* :worship:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:44 AM
*5-5 :(

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:47 AM
5-6* :sobbing:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:50 AM
0-15 :woohoo:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:50 AM
15-15 :sad:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM
30-15 :bigcry:

hellas719
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:52 AM
40-15 :sobbing:

Golovinjured.
Cmon Sloane. :armed:

hellas719
GSM Zvonareva 6-4 7-5 :sad:

Golovinjured.
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Amazing effort.

ArturoAce.
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Good Fight Sloane :yeah:

darrinbaker00
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:59 AM
This may seem like a silly question to some of you, but has Sloane turned pro already?

darrinbaker00
Mar 14th, 2010, 05:05 AM
This may seem like a silly question to some of you, but has Sloane turned pro already?
Never mind, I looked it up. She turned pro last October.

tennisbuddy12
Mar 14th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Yep she recently signed with Under Armor....but a great match...I enjoyed it a lot.

Ballbasher
Mar 14th, 2010, 02:05 PM
For once, I have to say, I'm glad that a player I like loses.
The pressure would have been huge on her, had she won against Vera. That way she can keep improving mostly unnoticed. Yet she enjoyed a great week for herself and gained some experience. :D I'm looking forward to her future. :yeah:

Srodgers
Mar 14th, 2010, 02:30 PM
great try sloane!!! :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:12 PM
She played Vera Z very close.... GOOD JOB SLOANE!:bounce: Hopefully she'll get a WC for Miami or maybe one of the upcoming green clay court tourneys :bounce:

hellas719
Mar 15th, 2010, 03:22 AM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/BNP+Paribas+Open+kollLi5-LMgl.jpg

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/BNP+Paribas+Open+9jEHAjAPtVCl.jpg

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/BNP+Paribas+Open+UbDun01qgbAl.jpg

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/BNP+Paribas+Open+a8RUvmvWmz3l.jpg

Phil=)
Mar 15th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Didn't she had Adidas as sponsor ?

Kevin.
Mar 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Apparently UnderArmour offered her more money.

hammerhead
Mar 15th, 2010, 09:47 PM
She was previously with Nike, but apparently they gave her free gear but hardly any money. UnderArmour gave her a little more than that. Young players just aren't getting that much any more because it's so hard to predict who will pan out and probably because of the overall economy/tough times for retailers.

Personally, I think the UnderArmour stuff looks really good on her (better than Nike stuff)!

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 15th, 2010, 11:06 PM
UnderArmour is a good look for her as she is a very fit girl. :bounce:

*hingis_forever*
Mar 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I finally saw her match vs. Zvonareva and I was very impressed. She's technically very sound with an awesome forehand but even her backhand is pretty good. IMO she's America's best teen prospect.

simonsaystennis
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:25 PM
Well earned QWC for Miami! :) She plays Yung Jan Chan.

Srodgers
Mar 21st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Good luck sloane! :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:32 AM
Its gr8 to see Sloane receive a QWC w/ a very winnable 1st rd match... GL! :bounce:

hellas719
Mar 22nd, 2010, 02:43 AM
GL Sloane! :bounce:

simonsaystennis
Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:27 AM
The good news: Sloane's WTA ranking improved from 747 to 366 :woohoo:

The bad news: She is losing 1-6 2-5 to Yung Jan Chan in Miami QR1

Srodgers
Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
she lost 61 62 :sad:
I was expecting more after last week

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
Sloane :hug: Hopefully she'll get back to form at her next tourney :)

hellas719
Mar 23rd, 2010, 04:18 AM

hellas719
Mar 31st, 2010, 01:03 AM
xnxLcXXAY4o

Srodgers
Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
PVB MD:
(6)Wozniak v (wc)Stephens

Really glad she got the WC :bounce:
Wozniak has been realllly bad lately, so a good chance for Sloane to pull of an upset :)

simonsaystennis
Apr 4th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Good draw for Sloane! Good luck girl!

hellas719
Apr 5th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Good chance for an upset :drool:

simonsaystennis
Apr 5th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Was broken after a MARATHON game. Like 7-10 deuces. 1-3. Break back Sloane!

simonsaystennis
Apr 5th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Tough game again. 1-4. Sloane is right there in it! Fight!!

simonsaystennis
Apr 5th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Hold and break! 3-4!! Keep it up Sloane!

simonsaystennis
Apr 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM
4-4!!

Noctis
Apr 5th, 2010, 11:59 PM
4-5 had a bp

simonsaystennis
Apr 5th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Sloane had a BP, but Wozniak holds. 4-5

Noctis
Apr 6th, 2010, 12:02 AM
30-15