PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2009: Andrew's reports (preview + 1r)

andrewbroad
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
=================
THE CHAMPIONSHIPS (Wimbledon, England; grass; Major)
================= http://www.wimbledon.org/
Contents
--------

1. Photos
2. First-round draw
3. Anna Chakvetadze preview
4. Order of play for Tuesday

Master-thread for my Wimbledon 2009 reports:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=382860

---------
1. Photos
---------

The following links will be useful throughout the tournament, but I shall post them only once:

Galleries of many players:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/gallery?cap=1&pg=1 (latest 200 only)
http://www.tennis.com/photogallery/photogallery.aspx?pgid=1
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/photos.html
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/photos/

Where to search for specific players:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/players/
http://news.yahoo.com/
http://www.fotosports.com/
Getty Images

-------------------
2. First-round draw
-------------------

The players on the left are the ones I want to win.

First quarter (Nicole Vaidišová, Anna Chakvetadze)
-------------

N.B. Kristína Kučová [LL,S] has replaced Katarina Srebotnik, who hasn't played since October 2008 due to left-Achilles and left-ankle injuries.

* DINARA SAFINA [1] v Lourdes Domínguez Lino (Safina is Nicole's prey)
* Nicole Vaidišová [EF] v Rossana de los Ríos (POJĎME NICOLE!!)
* Alyona Bondarenko v Elena Baltacha [WC] (my loyalty is to Alyona)
* Kirsten Flipkens v ÁGNES SZÁVAY [30] (I think I still prefer Kirsten, although Ágnes has been growing on me)

* Melinda Czink v AMÉLIE MAURESMO [17] (anyone but Mauresmo)
* Kristína Kučová [LL,S] v Aiko Nakamura [Q,S] (my loyalty is to Kristína)
* Mariya Koryttseva v Vania King
* FLAVIA PENNETTA [15,DF] v Nuria Llagostera Vives (forza Flavia!)

* CAROLINE WOZNIACKI [9] v Kimiko Date Krumm [WC] (my loyalty is to Caroline)
* Maria Kirilenko [DF] v Petra Kvitová (davai Maria!)
* Alberta Brianti [Q] v Tathiana Garbin
* Marta Domachowska v ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES [20] (my loyalty is to Marta)

* ANNA CHAKVETADZE [32,EF] v Sabine Lisicki [DF] (my loyalty is to ANNA)
* Patricia Mayr v Anne Keothavong
* Pauline Parmentier v Akgul Amanmuradova
* Akiko Morigami [s] v SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA [5] (ganbatte Akiko!)

Second quarter (Jelena Dokić)
--------------

* Stefanie Vögele v VENUS WILLIAMS [3] (hopp Stefanie!)
* Anastasija Sevastova [Q] v Kateryna Bondarenko
* Ekaterina Makarova v Barbora Záhlavová Strýcová
* Carla Suárez Navarro v KAIA KANEPI [25]

* SAMANTHA STOSUR [18] v Bethanie Mattek-Sands
* Jelena Dokić [EF] v Tatjana Malek [Q] (my loyalty is to JELENA)
* Sara Errani v Stéphanie Dubois
* ANA IVANOVIĆ [13,DF] v Lucie Hradecká [s] (my loyalty is to Ana)

* María José Martínez Sánchez v AGNIESZKA RADWAŃSKA [11]
* Peng,Shuai [s] v Alexa Glatch [WC] (jia you Shuai!)
* Olga Govortsova v Tatiana Perebiynis (tough choice, but I think I prefer Olga)
* LI,NA [19] v Galina Voskoboeva

* SYBILLE BAMMER [29] v Melanie Oudin [Q]
* Yaroslava Shvedova v Monica Niculescu [s] (my Reason says Monica, but my Passion says Yaroslava)
* Iveta Benešová v Katie O'Brien [WC] (my loyalty is to Iveta)
* Julia Görges v JELENA JANKOVIĆ [6] (komm jetzt Julia!)

Third quarter (Vera Zvonarëva)
-------------

* VERA ZVONARËVA [7,EF] v Georgie Stoop [WC], 7-6 (7/0) 4-6 0-0*
* Mathilde Johansson won
* Jill Craybas won
* VIRGINIE RAZZANO [26] won

* Francesca Schiavone won
* Michelle Larcher de Brito [WC] won
* Timea Bacsinszky won
* MARION BARTOLI [12,DF,S] won

* DOMINIKA CIBULKOVÁ [14] won
* Urszula Radwańska won
* Elena Vesnina won
* ALIZÉ CORNET [22] v Vera Dushevina, 6-3 0-6 *2-4

* ALISA KLEYBANOVA [27] won
* Regina Kulikova [Q] won
* Aravane Rezaď won
* ELENA DEMENTIEVA [4] won

Fourth quarter (Maria Sharapova, Daniela Hantuchová)
--------------

* VICTORIA AZARENKA [8,DF] won
* Ioana Raluca Olaru won
* Sania Mirza [DF] won
* SORANA CÎRSTEA [28] won

* MARIA SHARAPOVA [24,EF] won
* Gisela Dulko [DF] won
* Shahar Pe'er won
* NADIA PETROVA [10] won

* ZHENG,JIE [16] won
* Daniela Hantuchová [EF] won
* Arantxa Parra Santonja [Q,S] won
* Ai Sugiyama won

* ANASTASIA PAVLYUCHENKOVA [31] won
* Roberta Vinci won
* Jarmila Groth won
* SERENA WILLIAMS [2] won

---------------------------
3. Anna Chakvetadze preview
---------------------------

If 2008 was a poor year for Anna, then 2009 has been even worse: her win/loss record is in the red at 9-11, and having been ranked as high as #5 after reaching the US Open 2007 semi-finals, she is now hanging onto the top 32 by her fingertips - especially as she now has to defend one of her most valuable results from 2008: fourth round at Wimbledon.

Of course, we still have to qualify any discussion of Anna's form by remembering that she was tied up by burglars who broke into her house in December 2007. But while 2008 did have its highlights - a title at Paris, a Tier I semi-final at Rome and a final at New Haven - 2009 has begun as a continuation of Anna's slump, but without any such highlights so far.

The best that can be said of the first two months of 2009 is that Anna won her first-round match at the Australian Open, and turned in a great performance for Russia to thrash Yan,Zi 6-1 6-2 in Fed Cup. But she lost to Ayumi Morita - the lucky loser who replaced Shahar Pe'er - at Dubai, and to Shahar herself at Indian Wells.

A second-round effort at Miami was more encouraging, considering that Anna thrashed Daniela Hantuchová 6-3 6-1 before losing to eventual champion Victoria Azarenka, but she then suffered two humiliating losses in a row to Flavia Pennetta: 6-4 6-0 in Fed Cup, and 6-2 6-0 at Stuttgart.

Anna got her act together at Rome, as she thrashed Fčs-champion Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-2 6-3 in the first round, and overcame Aleksandra Wozniak 5-7 7-6(2) 6-3 in the second round before losing 6-0 6-7 6-4 to world #5 Venus Williams.

At least Anna's fighting-spirit - which had been questioned in the weeks leading up to Rome - was well and truly back: she fought back from 3-5* to win the second set against Venus, and from *0-4 to 3-4* in the third.

And Madrid was a very similar tournament for Anna: she beat #118 Virginia Ruano Pascual 6-4 6-3, then staged a terrific fightback to beat #31 Samantha Stosur 1-6 6-2 7-6 (7/4): Stosur led *4-1 in the third set, and served for the match at *5-4!

Anna lost 6-0 2-6 6-3 to Alyona Bondarenko in the third round of Madrid, but that didn't seem so bad for Anna when Alyona thrashed Maria Sharapova 6-2 6-2 en route to the Warsaw-final.

Anna's slump plumbed new depths when she lost to #124 Mariana Duque Marino 3-6 6-4 6-4 in the first round of the French Open.

But she enjoyed a confidence-boosting win over world #6 Jelena Janković in the first round of Eastbourne, before losing to #12 Marion Bartoli 7-5 6-3 in the second round.

In the Janković-match, she lost the first set after blowing a 5-1 lead, but hit back to win 6-7 (5/7) 6-3 6-2 as her flat, low-bouncing drives forced Janković to keep bending her legs, making them tired.

Anna: "I am pleased with every win right now, because it's very important to me to get back my confidence. I lost a huge opportunity in the first set, but I'm glad I came back in the second and third."

Anna has an intriguing but winnable first-round match against Charleston-champion Sabine Lisicki, a winnable second round against Patricia Mayr or Anne Keothavong, and then a potential third-round showdown against Svetlana Kuznetsova, who won the French Open but lost 6-0 6-3 to Aleksandra Wozniak in the first round of Eastbourne.

So the door might just open for Anna to defend her fourth round. There, she would almost certainly face Eastbourne-champion Caroline Wozniacki, who some experts believe might actually win this Wimbledon!

First-round preview: Chakvetadze v Lisicki
------------------------------------------

19-year-old Sabine Lisicki is a top player in the making. She has a huge serve and a big backhand, and I consider her one of the most exciting up-and-coming players in women's tennis at the moment. I recently decided to become a demi-fan of Sabine, and would have hoped for her to have a great run at Wimbledon, had she not drawn Anna!

Sabine has a 17:10 win/loss record for 2009 so far. She is currently ranked #41, but will surely be much higher by the end of the year.

After a second-round loss at the Australian Open, Sabine beat Lucie Šafářová 6-3 6-4 in the quarter-finals of Memphis, then lost her semi-final 6-4 3-6 7-6 (7/1) to eventual champion Victoria Azarenka.

Sabine only won two matches in her next three tournaments (Indian Wells, Miami and Ponte Vedra Beach), but then she stunned the tennis-world by winning the Premier tournament at Charleston for her first WTA singles-title: she stunned world #5 Venus Williams 6-4 7-6 in the third round, then thrashed #57 Elena Vesnina 6-4 6-0, #12 Marion Bartoli 6-3 6-1, and #12 Caroline Wozniacki 6-2 6-4 to take the title!

I already knew that Sabine was talented, pretty, and a great fighter, but I think her Charleston-victory proves that she is one of the fine young players making their way towards the very top of women's tennis.

But things haven't really gone Sabine's way since Charleston: she had a respectable 7-5 5-7 6-3 loss to world #4 Jelena Janković in the second round of Stuttgart, then retired in the quarter-finals of Estoril with a right-shoulder injury.

Alarmingly, Sabine was hospitalised with severe abdominal pains two weeks before the French Open, where she lost 6-2 1-6 6-1 to #46 Lucie Šafářová (who had a match-point against Venus Williams in the next round). Not to take anything away from Lucie's victory, it would seem that Sabine was rusty in the first set, and unfit in the third.

Sabine lost 6-2 6-1 to #18 Samantha Stosur in the first round of Eastbourne, which is disappointing as Sabine had lost 6-3 6-4 to Stosur at Birmingham 2008.

Sabine made her Wimbledon-début last year, and lost 6-2 6-4 to #10 Marion Bartoli in the first round.

Sabine could be a very tough first-round opponent for Anna - Sabine beat Anna 7-5 6-1 in their only prior meeting (Miami 2008) - but there are large question-marks over Sabine after her recent health-problems, and those question-marks have had negative answers so far, so I expect Anna to win.

----------------------------
4. Order of play for Tuesday
----------------------------

Court 18 (start 12:00 BST = 11:00 GMT)
MS 1r: FERNANDO GONZÁLEZ [10] v Teimuraz Gabashvili
WS 1r: VERA ZVONARËVA [7,EF] v Georgie Stoop [WC], 7-6 (7/0) 4-6 0-0*
WS 1r: ANNA CHAKVETADZE [32,EF] v Sabine Lisicki [DF]
MS 1r: Jesse Levine v MARAT SAFIN [14]
WS 1r: Carla Suárez Navarro v KAIA KANEPI [25]

Full order of play:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/schedule/

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

andrewbroad
Jul 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
=================
THE CHAMPIONSHIPS (Wimbledon, England; grass; Major)
================= http://www.wimbledon.org/
Contents
--------

1. First-round scoreboard-report: Chakvetadze v Lisicki
2. Women's Doubles: First round
3. Women's Doubles: Second round
4. Mixed Doubles: First round

-------------------------------------------------------
1. First-round scoreboard-report: Chakvetadze v Lisicki (Tuesday 23rd June 2009)
-------------------------------------------------------

- ANNA CHAKVETADZE [32,EF] lt. Sabine Lisicki [DF], 6-4 6-7 (4/7) 2-6

Anna led 6-4 *5-4, then 'Chokevetadze' reared her pretty head: she dropped the second set after leading *4/2 in the tiebreak, and never recovered from dropping serve at the start of the third set.

Sabine dominated the match with a W:UE ratio of 37:30 to Anna's 19:32 (and Sabine's W:UE ratio improved from set to set, while Anna's deteriorated). Her first serve was much faster than Anna's: fastest 122-104 mph, average 103-93 mph.

Anna broke 3 times from 6 BPs, but Sabine broke 4 times from 9 BPs. Anna won the first set by a single break, but the second set featured 2 breaks apiece, and Sabine won the third by 2 breaks to 0.

The other statistic that jumps out at me is that Anna's second-serve winning-percentage deteriorated from 71% in the first set to 32% for the second and third combined.

First set
---------
CHAKVET _* * *@* * 6
LISICKI * * *___*_ 4

The match was third on Court 18, and not being among the BBC's Freeview-options (it was showing Llodra v Goodall on both BBC 1 and BBC Red Button, instead of showing Anna on one of them :fiery:), I had to make do with live scores.

The match started at 15:36 BST, although I missed the first game as Nicole Vaidišová finished losing to Rossana de los Ríos. :sad:

Anna serving 0-1: 30/0. 30/15. 40/15. Held.
Sabine serving 1-1: 30/0. 30/15. 40/15. Held.
Anna serving 1-2: 15/0. 15/15. 30/15. Held.
Sabine serving 2-2: 15/0. 15/30. 40/30. Held.

The BBC has finally realised that it was showing Llodra v Goodall on two channels, but is now showing Chardy v Roddick instead of this mouthwatering match. The only women's option at this time is that minger Safina v DoMÍNGuez Lino. :mad:

Anna serving 2-3: 0/15. 40/15. Held.
Sabine serving 3-3: 0/30. 15/30. 15/40 (BP). Broken.

First blood to Anna! :hearts:

Anna serving 4-3: 0/15. 30/15. 30/40 (BP). Deuce. Ad Anna. Held.

Well saved! :hearts:

Sabine serving 3-5: 30/0. 30/40 (SP #1). Deuce. Ad Sabine. Held.

One set-point saved.

Anna serving 5-4: 40/0 (SP #2). 40/15 (SP #3). 40/30 (SP #4). Anna won the first set 6-4 at 16:18 BST (42m).

The mistake was made today. It did not go out to the public. You'll never know what it was... :D

Now the BBC is showing Chardy v Roddick on both BBC 1 and the Red Button instead of joining this match! :fiery: Apart from not being able to watch Anna, it will also be a shame if Sabine goes out here without ever having been televised by the BBC.

It makes you wonder whether the buffoons controlling the Red Button service are really that incompetent that it takes them half an hour to realise that the same match is on two channels, or whether they've had complaints about interrupting matches "to give you maximum choice", which they've already apologised for a couple of times.

Second set
----------
CHAKVET @* *___*@__*_ 6(4)
LISICKI __* *@*__@* T 7(7)

Sabine serving 0-0: 0/30. 15/30. 30/30. 30/40 (BP). Broken.

A set and a break! :hearts:

Anna serving 1-0: 40/0. Held.
Sabine serving 0-2: 0/15. 30/15. 40/30. Held.
Anna serving 2-1: 30/0. 30/15. 40/15. Deuce. Ad Anna. Held.

Sigh... BBC Red Button has finally realised that it was televising Chardy v Roddick on two channels, but instead of joining this match, it's now showing that loser Alex Bogdanović v Lucie Šafářová's boyfriend TomᚠBerdych. :rolleyes:

Sabine serving 1-3: 15/0. 15/15. 30/15. 30/30. 40/30. Held.
Anna serving 3-2: 0/30. 15/30. 15/40 (BP #1). 30/40 (BP #2). Broken.

I do hope 'Chokevetadze' isn't rearing her pretty head here! :eek: Sabine is a great fighter, so Anna has much to worry about now.

Sabine serving 3-3: 15/15. 15/30. 30/30. 30/40 (BP). Deuce. Ad Sabine. Held.
Anna serving 3-4: 0/15. 30/15. 30/30. 40/30. Held.

An important hold for Anna, because Sabine has the momentum (not so much now), and I could smell a break at 0/15.

Sabine serving 4-4: 15/15. 30/15. 30/40 (BP). Broken.

Anna will serve for the match - yay! :hearts:

Anna serving 5-4: 15/0. 15/30. 30/30. 30/40 (BP). Broken.

Nothing like serving for the match to make 'Chokevetadze' rear her pretty head! :sad:

Sabine serving 5-5: 15/0. 15/15. 40/15. Held.
Anna serving 5-6: 0/15. 40/15. 40/30. Held.

6-6 tiebreak (all scores Chakvetadze/Lisicki): 0/0*. *1/0. *1/1. 1/2*. 2/2*. *3/2. *4/2. 4/3*. 4/4*. *4/5. *4/6 (SP #1). Sabine won the second set 7-6 (7/4) at 17:09 BST (second set 51m, match so far 1h33m).

Third set
---------
CHAKVET __* *___ 2
LISICKI @* * *@* 6

Anna serving 0-0: 15/0. 15/40 (BP #1). 30/40 (BP #2). Broken.

From *4/2 in the tiebreak, to a break down in the third set just five minutes later! :sad:

Sabine serving 1-0: 40/0. Held.
Anna serving 0-2: 0/15. 30/15. 30/30. 40/30. Held.

Long delay here... Anna is taking a medical time-out according to the live-scores thread <http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=382942&page=29>.

Sabine serving 2-1: 0/15. 40/15. 40/30. Held.
Anna serving 1-3: 40/0. Deuce #1. Ad Anna. Deuce #2. Ad Anna. Held.

A very important hold after 40/0. Anna certainly couldn't afford to go two breaks down against Sabine, who has one of the biggest serves in women's tennis.

Sabine serving 3-2: 30/0. 30/30. 40/30. Deuce. Ad Sabine. Held.
Anna serving 2-4: 15/0. 15/15. 30/15. 30/40 (BP #1). Deuce #1. Ad Sabine (BP #2). Deuce #2. Ad Sabine (BP #3). Broken.

Sigh... looks like it's going to be 3:5 for my Eternal Fanship in the first round. :(

Sabine serving 5-2: 15/0. 15/30. 30/30. 30/40 (BP). Deuce. Ad Sabine (MP #1). Sabine won 4-6 7-6 (7/4) 6-2 at 17:50 BST (third set 41m, match 2h14m).

-------------------------------
2. Women's Doubles: First round (Wednesday 24th June 2009)
-------------------------------

+ Anna Chakvetadze [EF]/Maria Elena Camerin d. Edina Gallovits/Katalin Marosi, 5-7 7-6 (7/4) 6-4

--------------------------------
3. Women's Doubles: Second round (Friday 26th June 2009)
--------------------------------

- Anna Chakvetadze [EF]/Maria Elena Camerin lt. (SAMANTHA STOSUR/RENNAE STUBBS)[3], 3-6 5-7

-----------------------------
4. Mixed Doubles: First round (Saturday 27th June 2009)
-----------------------------

- Anna Chakvetadze [EF]/Andy Ram lt. Maria Kirilenko [DF]/Igor Andreev, 2-6 6-3 2-6

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

P.S. Sabine Lisicki's run to the quarter-finals - and especially her third-round win over Svetlana Kuznetsova - was not a bad return for Anna's first-round loss! ;)