PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2009: Andrew's reports (preview + 1r)

andrewbroad
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:25 AM
=================
THE CHAMPIONSHIPS (Wimbledon, England; grass; Major)
================= http://www.wimbledon.org/
Contents
--------

1. Photos
2. First-round draw
3. Jelena Dokić preview
4. Andrew's wishes
5. Order of play for Tuesday

Master-thread for my Wimbledon 2009 reports:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=382860

---------
1. Photos
---------

The following links will be useful throughout the tournament, but I shall post them only once:

Galleries of many players:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/gallery?cap=1&pg=1 (latest 200 only)
http://www.tennis.com/photogallery/photogallery.aspx?pgid=1
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/photos.html
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/photos/

Where to search for specific players:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/players/
http://news.yahoo.com/
http://www.fotosports.com/
Getty Images

-------------------
2. First-round draw
-------------------

The players on the left are the ones I want to win.

First quarter (Nicole Vaidišová, Anna Chakvetadze)
-------------

N.B. Kristína Kučová [LL,S] has replaced Katarina Srebotnik, who hasn't played since October 2008 due to left-Achilles and left-ankle injuries.

* DINARA SAFINA [1] v Lourdes Domínguez Lino (Safina is Nicole's prey)
* Nicole Vaidišová [EF] v Rossana de los Ríos (POJĎME NICOLE!!)
* Alyona Bondarenko v Elena Baltacha [WC] (my loyalty is to Alyona)
* Kirsten Flipkens v ÁGNES SZÁVAY [30] (I think I still prefer Kirsten, although Ágnes has been growing on me)

* Melinda Czink v AMÉLIE MAURESMO [17] (anyone but Mauresmo)
* Kristína Kučová [LL,S] v Aiko Nakamura [Q,S] (my loyalty is to Kristína)
* Mariya Koryttseva v Vania King
* FLAVIA PENNETTA [15,DF] v Nuria Llagostera Vives (forza Flavia!)

* CAROLINE WOZNIACKI [9] v Kimiko Date Krumm [WC] (my loyalty is to Caroline)
* Maria Kirilenko [DF] v Petra Kvitová (davai Maria!)
* Alberta Brianti [Q] v Tathiana Garbin
* Marta Domachowska v ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES [20] (my loyalty is to Marta)

* ANNA CHAKVETADZE [32,EF] v Sabine Lisicki [DF] (my loyalty is to ANNA)
* Patricia Mayr v Anne Keothavong
* Pauline Parmentier v Akgul Amanmuradova
* Akiko Morigami [s] v SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA [5] (ganbatte Akiko!)

Second quarter (Jelena Dokić)
--------------

* Stefanie Vögele v VENUS WILLIAMS [3] (hopp Stefanie!)
* Anastasija Sevastova [Q] v Kateryna Bondarenko
* Ekaterina Makarova v Barbora Záhlavová Strýcová
* Carla Suárez Navarro v KAIA KANEPI [25]

* SAMANTHA STOSUR [18] v Bethanie Mattek-Sands
* Jelena Dokić [EF] v Tatjana Malek [Q] (my loyalty is to JELENA)
* Sara Errani v Stéphanie Dubois
* ANA IVANOVIĆ [13,DF] v Lucie Hradecká [s] (my loyalty is to Ana)

* María José Martínez Sánchez v AGNIESZKA RADWAŃSKA [11]
* Peng,Shuai [s] v Alexa Glatch [WC] (jia you Shuai!)
* Olga Govortsova v Tatiana Perebiynis (tough choice, but I think I prefer Olga)
* LI,NA [19] v Galina Voskoboeva

* SYBILLE BAMMER [29] v Melanie Oudin [Q]
* Yaroslava Shvedova v Monica Niculescu [s] (my Reason says Monica, but my Passion says Yaroslava)
* Iveta Benešová v Katie O'Brien [WC] (my loyalty is to Iveta)
* Julia Görges v JELENA JANKOVIĆ [6] (komm jetzt Julia!)

Third quarter (Vera Zvonarëva)
-------------

* VERA ZVONARËVA [7,EF] v Georgie Stoop [WC], 7-6 (7/0) 4-6 0-0*
* Mathilde Johansson won
* Jill Craybas won
* VIRGINIE RAZZANO [26] won

* Francesca Schiavone won
* Michelle Larcher de Brito [WC] won
* Timea Bacsinszky won
* MARION BARTOLI [12,DF,S] won

* DOMINIKA CIBULKOVÁ [14] won
* Urszula Radwańska won
* Elena Vesnina won
* ALIZÉ CORNET [22] v Vera Dushevina, 6-3 0-6 *2-4

* ALISA KLEYBANOVA [27] won
* Regina Kulikova [Q] won
* Aravane Rezaď won
* ELENA DEMENTIEVA [4] won

Fourth quarter (Maria Sharapova, Daniela Hantuchová)
--------------

* VICTORIA AZARENKA [8,DF] won
* Ioana Raluca Olaru won
* Sania Mirza [DF] won
* SORANA CÎRSTEA [28] won

* MARIA SHARAPOVA [24,EF] won
* Gisela Dulko [DF] won
* Shahar Pe'er won
* NADIA PETROVA [10] won

* ZHENG,JIE [16] won
* Daniela Hantuchová [EF] won
* Arantxa Parra Santonja [Q,S] won
* Ai Sugiyama won

* ANASTASIA PAVLYUCHENKOVA [31] won
* Roberta Vinci won
* Jarmila Groth won
* SERENA WILLIAMS [2] won

-----------------------
3. Jelena Dokić preview
-----------------------

Jelena made an amazing comeback to reach the quarter-finals of the Australian Open ranked #187 (she is now #75) - beating world #80 Tamira Paszek 6-2 3-6 6-4, #18 Anna Chakvetadze 6-4 6-7 6-3, #12 Caroline Wozniacki 3-6 6-1 6-2, and #31 Alisa Kleybanova 7-5 5-7 8-6 before losing 6-4 4-6 6-4 to #3 Dinara Safina.

But Jelena warned us at the time that it would be difficult to keep up that form, and so it has proved. She won two matches to qualify for Memphis, but Wozniacki took a 6-1 6-2 revenge. She lost 6-4 6-2 to #102 Jill Craybas at Indian Wells, and blamed tiredness due to a bad schedule of tournaments.

After beating #68 Edina Gallovits at Miami, Jelena lost to Wozniacki again - this time 6-3 5-7 6-2 - then pulled out of Ponte Vedra Beach with sports-fatigue syndrome.

Jelena contributed a win over Stefanie Vögele to Australia's Fed Cup victory over Switzerland in the World Group II play-offs, then reached the semi-finals of ITF Bucharest, but lost 6-1 3-6 6-1 to #141 Andrea Petković.

Jelena lost 6-4 6-3 to #106 Ioana Raluca Olaru in the first round of Warsaw, describing it as "probably my worst match in the last two years."

Jelena beat #91 Karolina Šprem 3-6 6-1 6-2 in the first round of the French Open, and was leading #4 Elena Dementieva 6-2 *2-1 before tragedy struck: at 6-2 *3-4, she retired in floods of tears with a low-back injury.

Jelena has recently had to deal with yet more controversy from her father Damir, who threatened to blow up the car of the Australian ambassador in Serbia over articles in the Australian media confirming what I suspected ten years ago: that he physically abused Jelena. The police raided his house, finding guns and bombs, and he is now serving a 15-month prison-sentence.

Personally, I'm very glad to see Damir finally getting a small percentage of the jail-time he deserves for the way he treated Jelena (albeit for different crimes), but apparently she is "distressed and saddened" about his arrest, which is understandable as, after all, he is still her father. Apparently his health has taken a turn for the worse: already 50 and diabetic, he had to be treated for hypertension while waiting to be sentenced. My heart bleeds for him.

Fortunately, the damage to Jelena's back is not believed to be long-term, although she did have to pull out of Birmingham and Eastbourne, much to my disappointment. She did actually go to Eastbourne to practise - rather than visiting Damir in Serbia, as rumoured - but skipped the tournament as a precaution, and should be fit for Wimbledon.

Jelena starts against Tatjana Malek, and could then face a very tough second-round match against fellow Australian Samantha Stosur, who reached the semi-finals of the French Open, and whose serve-and-volley game can do a lot of damage on grass.

Should Jelena get past that one, she could be facing Ana Ivanović in the third round, and defending champion Venus Williams in the fourth round.

First-round preview: Dokić v Malek
----------------------------------

Jelena will be facing world #101 Tatjana Malek for the first time. The 21-year-old's career doesn't have any scary highlights as far as I can see, but she has an impressive 28:10 record for 2009 so far (including Wimbledon-qualifying) - achieved mainly on the ITF Women's Circuit.

Malek reached the second round of the Australian Open by beating #77 Ayumi Morita 7-6 6-2, and lost 6-2 6-2 to #8 Svetlana Kuznetsova.

In February, Malek won ITF Stockholm, beating #240 Anikó Kapros 6-3 6-2 in the final.

She then lost in the second qualifying-rounds of both Indian Wells and Miami - book-ended by two second-round losses on the ITF circuit.

Malek reached the quarter-finals of WTA Barcelona as a qualifier, beating #89 Nuria Llagostera Vives 6-3 3-6 6-1 in the first round, and benefiting from Stéphanie Cohen-Aloro's retirement in the second round. She lost 6-4 6-0 to #27 Carla Suárez Navarro.

In April, Malek won ITF Makarska, beating #140 Lenka Wienerová 4-6 7-5 6-1 in the semi-finals, and #317 Simona Halep 6-1 4-6 6-4 in the final.

She fell in the third qualifying-round of the French Open: 7-6 3-6 6-1 to #130 Yvonne Meusburger. She then reached the quarter-finals of ITF Marseille, beating #115 Marta Domachowska 7-5 6-2, but losing to #131 Timea Bacsinszky 7-5 6-1.

Malek has played one previous Wimbledon: 2007, losing 6-1 6-4 to Kaia Kanepi in the first round.

Malek has qualified for Wimbledon with the following results:
1q + Julia Vakulenko, 6-2 6-3
2q + Anastasia Rodionova, 6-3 2-6 6-2
3q + Madison Brengle, 6-0 6-3

This year's Jelena wouldn't have any problems against Malek if she were fully fit, but since this will be her first match since retiring from the French Open, there is a question-mark over her. Still, this is a kind first-round draw, so I expect a win.

------------------
4. Andrew's wishes
------------------

Jelena Dokić [EF]:
1r + Tatjana Malek [Q]
2r + SAMANTHA STOSUR [18]
3r + ANA IVANOVIĆ [13,DF]
4r + Stefanie Vögele
qf + Iveta Benešová
sf + ANNA CHAKVETADZE [32,EF]
_f + VERA ZVONARËVA [7,EF]

Jelena deserves the title more than anyone, because she's a brilliant player who has been through Hell.

----------------------------
5. Order of play for Tuesday
----------------------------

Court 7 (start 12:00 BST = 11:00 GMT)
WS 1r: Jelena Dokić [EF] v Tatjana Malek [Q]
MS 1r: Fabio Fognini v Denis Istomin
WS 1r: FLAVIA PENNETTA [15,DF] v Nuria Llagostera Vives
WS 1r: María José Martínez Sánchez v AGNIESZKA RADWAŃSKA [11]

Full order of play:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/schedule/

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

Golovinjured.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
You're dedicated, I'll give you that. :hug:

andrewbroad
Jul 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
=================
THE CHAMPIONSHIPS (Wimbledon, England; grass; Major)
================= http://www.wimbledon.org/
Contents
--------

1. Photos
2. First-round scoreboard-report: Dokić v Malek

---------
1. Photos
---------

Jelena Dokić [EF]:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/players/overview/wta040344.html
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=dokic

Photos at http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/ (Memorable Moments)

-----------------------------------------------
2. First-round scoreboard-report: Dokić v Malek (Tuesday 23rd June 2009)
-----------------------------------------------

- Jelena Dokić [EF] lt. Tatjana Malek [Q], 6-3 5-7 2-6

Jelena led 6-3 5-4*, and was three points from victory at 15/30* in that game.

According to the BBC, Jelena was feeling faint in the second set, and called for the doctor. She also looked a little overweight compared with how she looked at the Australian Open.

Jelena: "Maybe it's a virus or something. I was aching a little bit, and I was dizzy. Maybe I should have called the trainer earlier. But I was still feeling pretty bad in the third set, so I don't know whether it would have made any difference."

Jelena dominated the match with either winners or errors, with a W:UE ratio of 43:49 (17:9 for the first set, then 26:40 for the next two combined) to Malek's 21:6. Jelena served a monstrous 16 double faults, while Malek served 10 aces.

A big difference between the first set and the next two was that Jelena's second-serve winning-percentage dipped from 64% to 21%.

Jelena went to the net a lot, which is unusual for her - perhaps a new strategy for grass, or perhaps because of her injury? She won 22 of 40 points there.

They had 11 BPs each, but Jelena only broke four times to Malek's five, winning the first set by 2 breaks to 0, but losing the second set by 1 break to 2, and the third by 1 break to 3.

First set
---------
DOKIĆ _*@* * *@ 6
MALEK *___* *__ 3

The match was first on Court 7, and started at 12:07 BST.

Malek serving 15/30. 15/40 (BPx2). Deuce. Ad Malek. Held.
Jelena serving 0-1: 0/15. 15/15. 30/15. 30/30. 40/30. Held.
Malek serving 1-1: 15/0. 15/30. 15/40 (BPx2). Deuce. Ad Jelena (BP #2). Broken.
Jelena serving 2-1: 15/0. 15/15. 40/15. 40/30. Held.
Malek serving 1-3: 0/15. 15/15. 15/30. 30/30. Held.
Jelena serving 3-2: 0/15. 40/15. Held.
Malek serving 2-4: 15/0. 15/15. 40/15. Held.
Jelena serving 4-3: 0/15. 30/15. 30/30. 40/30. Held.
Malek serving 3-5: 0/40 (SP #1). 15/40 (SP #2). 30/40 (SP #3). Jelena won the first set 6-3 at 12:35 BST (28m).

Jelena did well to convert 30/40, which is always difficult after missing two BPs at 0/40.

Second set
----------
DOKIĆ *___* *@*___ 5
MALEK _*@* *___*@* 7

Jelena serving 0-0: 15/0. 15/15. 40/15. Held.
Malek serving 0-1: 15/0. 15/15. 30/15. 30/30. 40/30. Deuce. Ad Malek. Held.
Jelena serving 1-1: 15/0. 15/40 (BP). Broken.
Malek serving 2-1: 40/0. Held.

I could do with Jelena breaking back and finishing this in two sets to avoid a clash with Nicole Vaidišová, as Leonardo Mayer is currently 6-0 6-0 up against Óscar Hernández! Jelena was the first player other than Mayer to win a set today.

Jelena serving 1-3: 0/30. 40/30. Held.
Malek serving 3-2: 40/0. 40/30. Held.
Jelena serving 2-4: 15/0. 15/30. 30/30. 30/40 (BP). Deuce. Ad Jelena. Held.

Time for Jelena to break back...

Malek serving 4-3: 0/30. 30/30. 30/40 (BP). Broken.
Jelena serving 4-4: 15/0. 15/30. 40/30. Held.

Well, Hernández has just bought Jelena a bit more time by winning a game to avoid the triple bagel, but it would still be nice to finish this match by breaking in the next game!

Malek serving 4-5: 30/0. 30/15. 40/15. Held.
Jelena serving 5-5: 0/30. Broken.

Darn it. Mayer now leads 6-0 6-0 4-1*, so I'll have to follow Jelena and Nicole in parallel if this goes to a third set. When I did that for Lucie Šafářová and Magdaléna Rybáriková yesterday, I lost them both.

Malek serving 6-5: 0/15. 40/15 (SP #1). Malek won the second set 7-5 at 13:13 BST (second set 38m, match so far 1h06m).

Third set
---------
DOKIĆ _@__*___ 2
MALEK @ @* *@* 6

The third set didn't start scoring until 13:21 BST, which suggests that Jelena and/or Malek took a bathroom-break.

Jelena serving 0-0: 15/15. 15/40 (BP). Broken.

What's wrong with Jelena? Has her back flared up?

Malek serving 1-0: 0/40 (BP). Broken.
Jelena serving 1-1: 0/15. 15/30. 15/40 (BP #1). 30/40 (BP #2). Broken.
Malek serving 2-1: 40/0. Held.
Jelena serving 1-3: 15/0. 15/40 (BPx2). Deuce #1. Ad Malek (BP #3). Deuce #2. Ad Jelena. Held.

Now Nicole Vaidišová is starting, so I have to divide my attention...

Malek serving 3-2: 15/0. 15/15. 40/15. Held.
Jelena serving 2-4: 0/30. 15/30. 15/40 (BP #1). 30/40 (BP #2). Broken.
Malek serving 5-2: 30/0. 30/40 (BP). Deuce. Ad Malek (MP #1). Malek won 3-6 7-5 6-2 at 13:49 BST (third set 36m, match 1h42m).

I saw the last point in a BBC round-up: Malek hit a body-jamming serve; Jelena hit a respectable forehand return; they exchanged crosscourt forehands; Malek hit a very short forehand dropshot (I don't think she meant it), forcing Jelena to spray a forehand wide.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad