PDA

View Full Version : Racket suggestions?

Pheobo
Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
First off, I'm surprised that there isn't a subforum here for actually playing tennis...I always thought there was. Anyway, I've been playing with a Prince Shark racket for long time now. I've always liked it but I'm starting to feel like I need a change. I play around a 5.0-5.5 level, or I did. I'm a little out of practice right now and trying to get back to where I was about a year 1/2 ago, and having some problems. I need a racket that allows a lot of spin, as I mainly slice my backhands and use a lot of topspin on my forehands. I also need something that's serving friendly because that's my best shot, and the one I'm having the most difficulty with right now.

Any experts out there? I'm so out of touch with new racket technologies since I've had the same one for about 5 years now so I'm open to any suggestions. :wavey:

Cakeisgood
Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Depends. For most players your level, two rackets are played, The KBlade 98 and Babolat Aeropro Drive. The Kblade is more control, Aeropro is more power.

But if you want spin and something a little different, look no further than my personal fave, Yonex. The RDiS 100 MP and Mid I've heard good things about. And you could always try Ivanovic's RQiS 1 or the RDS 001.

DownTheLine21
Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:42 AM
Depends. For most players your level, two rackets are played, The KBlade 98 and Babolat Aeropro Drive. The Kblade is more control, Aeropro is more power.

But if you want spin and something a little different, look no further than my personal fave, Yonex. The RDiS 100 MP and Mid I've heard good things about. And you could always try Ivanovic's RQiS 1 or the RDS 001.

I've been wanting to demo this one, but I haven't got around to it. Has anyone hit with it?

Pheobo
Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:43 AM

A few people have told me I definitely need to try the Yonex RDiS 100 Mid. I wasn't sure if I trusted their judgement because...well, it's Yonex :p But I think I'm going to demo it :)

Cakeisgood
Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
A few people have told me I definitely need to try the Yonex RDiS 100 Mid. I wasn't sure if I trusted their judgement because...well, it's Yonex :p But I think I'm going to demo it :)

Don't let anyone tell you Yonex is bad. Their QC is probably the best in the industry (only one made in Japan, not China). Careful the Mid is a huge jump from the Shark. Just warning you.

danieln1
Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
I use a Wilson K Tour (Lindsays racquet!) and it was worth it buying! My volleys became much better, I have more control on my shots, and the serve is much more consistent! I recomend that one!

Polikarpov
Jun 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
I've been wanting to demo this one, but I haven't got around to it. Has anyone hit with it?

I've tried Ivanovic' red and black Yonex. It's a more control, and spin oriented racquet. It's very maneuverable and comfortable too. Large sweet spot (as with any other Yonex). You'll love hitting volleys and returns with this one. However, it's very low powered. You really have to have good ground strokes, and take big cuts at the ball to produce good pace, and to keep the ball deep.

When I tried this racquet I remembered thinking that Ana really is a scary powerful girl. To be able to generate that much power on her forehand using this extremely low powered racquet. :eek:

I agree with Cakeisgood. Yonex arguably has the best QC out of all brands. Worst is toss-up between Wilson and Head -- you could buy three racquets of the same model from either company and all three will have specs different from the advertised specs. If you're unfortunate enough one would be 12 grams heavier than the other. :help:

Pheobo
Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Don't let anyone tell you Yonex is bad. Their QC is probably the best in the industry (only one made in Japan, not China). Careful the Mid is a huge jump from the Shark. Just warning you.

Oh, there is a forum for playing after all...guess I didn't look hard enough. Sorry mods!

I'll demo the MP as well. I kinda like the idea of a radical change right now. I can generate my own power pretty well so I'm fine with a low power racket. One of my problems right now is overhitting on the forehand so I think that may be a good change from the shark.