PDA

View Full Version : Is it healthy for a young Russian tennis player to be too lean? Her name is...

the cat
Sep 7th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Maria Kirilenko. She's having a fine first year of 18u play! :D But she is so thin that I'm a little concerned for her. And not just because she is thin. But because she is so lean and shredded! Kind of like a Russian Gymnast would be. You can see the great detail in her little ripped muscles. But is that healthy at this stage of her life?

I know part of it is Maria is only 15, and she probably works out alot to get that great defenition and lean look. But Maria Kirilenko makes Maria Sharapova look like an Amazon! :eek: Anna Kournikova was slim when she was 15. But not nearly to this extreme. I've never seen a female junior tennis player so lean and in such great shape. But Maria Kirilenko might be in too good of shape for her own good! :eek: Is that possible? I hope she stays healthy! And she obviously has a serious training regimen. But I hope her fragile body can hold up to the stress and strain of playing tennis. I'd like to see her gradually add some weight.

I've heard that Maria is fast, too! And that's great attribute for a tennis player. I just hope she gets heavier and stronger, and still retains her outstanding speed.

And the way she has played this year, makes me think Maria Kirilenko could be a good pro tennis player someday. And I hope she is. I just hope she isn't over training so early in her career.

Some photos of Maria are available at www.*****************/Players/Countries/Russia/KirilenkoMaria/KirilenkoMaria.htm and www.angelfire.com/clone/rfoto/rkopihtm/k2445r2.htm

Cujo
Sep 7th, 2002, 11:01 PM
holy cow, a 15 year old with real biceps, keep eating lots and you can pound shot for shot with Serena Williams. lol

Cassius
Sep 8th, 2002, 01:12 AM
CAT, is this a wind-up of some sort, because I really don't get it.

King Aaron
Sep 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
no, i think what cat means is that he/she is concerned for Maria because Maria is too thin to look/be healthy and he/she just hopes Maria can add some weight

Nina_rus
Sep 8th, 2002, 09:17 AM
he ;)

btw Maria looks more muscular at pics than she is in real life, I'm pretty sure, every time we see a pic of a player hitting a backhand she looks twice as big as she normally is

the cat
Sep 8th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Yes M!ss, I am concerned about Maria's health. She's in fine shape! There's no doubt about that. But she is so slight, that I think of what Svetlana Kuznetsova said in an interview with *****************. Svetlana said that Russian Tennis Coaches often overtrain young players and end up accidentally breaking them and ruining there careers! :eek: Svetlana said that and I could tell she was concerned about it. I just hope Maria Kirilenko isn't over traoning so early in her career.

I would think Nina would have an opinion of what Svetlana said in about Russian Tennis Coaches over training their pupils. Nina?

Nina_rus
Sep 8th, 2002, 08:11 PM
very possible, I can perfectly imagine that. I think that happens often when a kid is coached by their parent, they want their child to be the best he can possibly be and they load him with a huge amount of exercise, thinking that it can't do any harm, the child can break down both physically and mentally. I don't think that it happens with good Russian coaches with experience, they usually know when to stop and how much exercise to give.

the cat
Sep 8th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the input Nina! :wavey:

And congratulations to the slight of might Maria Kirilenko on winning the 2002 junior Girl's U.S. Open! I've heard that Maria is tenacious and a shotmaker. She must have put those abilities to use to upset #1 seed Barbora Strycova 6-4 6-4 in the final.

Nina_rus
Sep 8th, 2002, 09:38 PM
and a good thinker on the court too (that's what I've heard, never seen her play unfortunately)

the cat
Sep 8th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Nina, CBS television in America showed a quick video clip of the junior U.S. Open singles champions Richard Gasquet and Maria Kirilenko. And from what I could tell, Maria moves beautifully!

And from the ITF JUniors website, there is a photo of the four finalists standing next to each other. And Maria looks like she's a couple inches taller than Barbora Strycova. So maybe Maria isn't as smallas I thought she was. She's going to need every inch of height possible to compete on the Amazon crowded WTA Tour! :eek:

Udachi Maria! :bounce:

P.S. - Barbora Strycova thinks highly of Maria. I was very pleased to hear that! :D

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 9th, 2002, 12:48 AM
fitness is and makes alot of difference on the tour
overtraining isn't good but overall general fitness conditioning does no harm.

as you can see from the tour, there's alot of girls who are far from tip-top condition.

the cat
Sep 9th, 2002, 02:32 AM
That's true, Eggy. Very true.

King Aaron
Sep 9th, 2002, 08:14 AM
yeah, very true. I think Maria's Ukraineian (sp?) coach knows what's best for her.

Nina_rus
Sep 9th, 2002, 03:29 PM
some photos of the Girls Singles Champ :)

http://www.itfjuniors.com/assets/html/news/newsimages/full/MI3_08092002-231140-Full.JPG http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0908_007.jpg

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0908_009.jpg http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_0908_012.jpg

Cassius
Sep 10th, 2002, 12:00 AM
I think she looks pretty delicious in those photos:drool:

King Aaron
Sep 13th, 2002, 10:01 AM
me too!! :drool:

salima
Sep 13th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Fitness does not harm. Even in tennis. The ball you almost reach in the end of a match wouldn`t cause you problems in the start of the match. Unfotunately the matchballs has a habit of coming at the finish of the matches.
The physik is ursually not the tricky part in building up an athlete. Eating disorder has been very common in other sports, unfortunately, and often in sports where you doesn`t expect it to be common. (Skiing, football, handball). Often the boys and girls with the highest training moral is hit by eating disorder.
To me, on this pics. Kirilenko looks fit and sound.

CellJr300
Sep 13th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Overtraining can hurt you. I don't know if she is in that situation, but she does look rather fit. Fitness is fine as long as you don't overdo it. I have seen too many people in my sport of wrestling who don't think their fitness level is high enough, and they go out and train so much that they end up hurting themselves. There was a period 2 years ago where I didn't have to compete for about 3 tournaments because all of my opponents were hurt from training to much. You can put too much pressure on your body to perform, and not every body can handle intense training. I hope hers can.

the cat
Sep 13th, 2002, 06:46 PM
That was very well said, Cell! And you, too, Salima!

King Aaron
Sep 14th, 2002, 09:03 AM
yeah. :) bottomline, Maria is fine! :)

Jordan.
Sep 14th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Wow,shes very beautiful.... :)