PDA

View Full Version : Big West - 2009 news

gouci
May 30th, 2009, 07:23 AM
KEISSER: Obscure cup for LB State

By Bob Keisser, Sports Columnist
Posted: 05/29/2009 10:59:46 PM PDT
LBSU women's tennis coach Jennifer Hilt-Costello has signed two more foreign prospects for 2010, Jaklin Alawi from Bulgaria and Klaudia Malenovska from the Slovak Republic. They're the only team in the Big West that has a need for a team translator.

bob.keisser@presstelegram.com

gouci
May 30th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Nice to see the lady 49ers getting a mention in The Press-Telegram, the local Long Beach newspaper.

They're the only team in the Big West that has a need for a team translator.
That cracked me up. :haha:

Now Form I included the author's e-mail on the post above just for you. So if you have a problem with the column's content please take it up with the columnist and not me. :angel:

RobertCB
May 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Long Beach State...

Sedem casa velke zapadnej majstrov. :)

Siedem czas wielkich mistrow zachod. ;)

Sept fois grand ouest champions. :bounce:

Well, at least we can say that next spring.

RobertCB
May 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Gouci, we at LBSU take pride in all of our athletes, regardless of their birth place. These young ladies not only WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS but also excel in the classroom. The tennis program is one that the LB community is proud of for many more reasons then the two I listed above.

Too bad your UCI women's tennis players have never experienced being champions, but I am sure the BW Commissioner will consider the little league model and offer smaller trophies to all of the non winning participants. That way UCI can claim that they offer the full package when recruiting ;). Oh by the way, how much press does the women's tennis program get over in your neck of the woods... well, I know the answer so no need to bother. :haha: Had to use your favorite smiley since it was appropriate here.

gouci
May 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Sedem casa velke zapadnej majstrov.

Siedem czas wielkich mistrow zachod.

Sept fois grand ouest champions.

Rob, nice reply and sense of humor. :worship: :lol:

Form learn from Rob and lighten up. :yeah:

Rob I don't dwell on the past. After UCI won 2 national titles I stopped caring about UCI's past athletic shortcomings. That's one of the beauties of winning a national title, it makes it SO EASY to move on. :kiss: :hug:

10sE
Jun 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
What sport did UCI win a national championship in?

gouci
Jun 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM
What sport did UCI win a national championship in?

UCI beat Ohio St. in the Final 4 & then defeated U$C to win the 2009 NCAA Div. 1 men's volleyball title. UCI's head coach John Speraw was also an assistant coach for the US men's volleyball Olympic team that won gold in Beijing. He is building a men's volleyball dynasty at UCI having been to the Final 4 three times in the last four years and having won titles in 2007 & 2009. :bigclap:

Here's a celebration video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giAQGN7rcgA).

RobertCB
Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
Maybe we can get back on topic here. This is a Big West thread on a tennis site, right :).

LBSU's 2009 class was just voted 23rd in the nation by tennisrecruiting.net. This is significant since this is the first time a BW school has made the top 25 I believe. Hopefully these young ladies can reach their potential and elevate LB's program up a notch or two. I see the gap widening between LB and the other BW schools, right Gouci :bounce:.

gouci
Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:27 AM
LBSU's 2009 class was just voted 23rd in the nation by tennisrecruiting.net. This is significant since this is the first time a BW school has made the top 25 I believe.
Actually UCI's recruiting class last season in 2008 was ranked #23 overall. :lol:
And that 2008 UCI class was even underrated because after the rankings came out UCI added sophomore transfers Hayley and Miranda Young. Hayley suffered a season ending injury but Miranda Young was playing #2 doubles by the end of the year.

If you go to a team's homepage on TRN it will have notes about that teams recruiting classes that were ranked.
Ex. UC Irvine (http://tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=890)

Just a side note:

1. UCSB's recruiting class in 2008 in my humble opinion was just as good or better than UCI's.
- Michelle Murphy 5 star sophomore transfer from Michigan St., played #1 at end of year.
- Sofia Novak 4 star freshman, played #3 at end of year
- Natalia Lozano freshman from Spain, played #4 at end of year
- Ratchaya Chaichanachaicharn freshman from Thailand, played #3 doubles part of the year

2. Long Beach St.'s 2007 recruiting class in my humble opinion on paper may have been better than that of 2009.
- Stephanie Jeanes freshman from Austrailia was Big West Freshman of the Year
- Deborah Armstrong freshman from Britain was honorable mention All Big West
- Lisa Haegele freshman from Germany had a WTA ranking high of #864
- Lisa Sutton freshman from Britain played #6 singles at end of that year

3. Cal St. Northridge's 2007 recruiting class in my humble opinion on paper may have been the best recruiting class the Big West has ever had.
- Karina Porushkevich blue chip sophomore transfer from Virginia Tech
- Victoria Brymer 5 star junior transfer from Washington
- Sandra Kulka junior transfer from Texas San Antonio, played #2 at start of 2009 before she got injured
- Nina Jaworowski freshman from Germany played #2 at end of 2009 season
- Brooke Doane 4 star freshman played #3 at end of 2009 season
- Whitney Paluch 3 star freshman played #4 at end of 2009 season
- Julie Onishenko 2 star freshman played #6 part of the 2009 season

gouci
Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
I see the gap widening between LB and the other BW schools, right Gouci.
Rob I don't know how you can compare Long Beach St. to how good other teams in the Big West are going to be next season and conclude "the gap is widening" when those other teams have not even completed their recruiting classes yet. :scratch:

- UCI has 3 spots to fill
- Cal Poly has 2 spots to fill
- CSUN has 2 spots to fill
- Pacific has 3 spots to fill

Not to mention you may not know how a recruit is going to pan out until they've played a few tournaments in the fall. That's why I'll wait until January to make my evaluations of the Big West projected standings and determine later if any "gap is widening." :hehehe:

RobertCB
Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Gouci, you are at it again by cutting off a sentence of mine in your response to make it appear that I stated a fact, you left off "I believe" when quoting me :mad:.

Anyway, the reason I stated that I see the gap widening is based on two things. First, LB has won the Big West a handful or so times in a row and the team only loses one player from last year's championship team. Second, the 2009 class is probably LB's best ever and historically LB has won the conference with less talent (Grady looks to be replaced by a stronger player on paper). Well I guess there is a third reason, as a LB fan I see things through rose colored glasses :).

As to your practice of delaying your predictions until January, I see that as being way too conservative. Based on the conference's history, you should be able to make your predictions years in advance :):bounce:.

gouci
Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Gouci, you are at it again by cutting off a sentence of mine in your response to make it appear that I stated a fact, you left off "I believe" when quoting me.
Rob thanks for pointing that out. I'm sorry for that unintentional mistake. :o
But I went ahead and fixed it.

10sE
Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
That's cool about the volleyball (no sarcasm, I think it's great when small athletic programs at solid academic schools can still win big like Rice in baseball a few years ago).

That said, I'm not sure why that would make you feel any better about tennis. I don't feel any better about Roddick losing at RG just because Phelps won big at the Olympics.

gouci
Jun 10th, 2009, 01:50 AM
UC Irvine has a celebrity fan in Leonardo DiCaprio. Check out the UCI hat he's rocking. :hearts:

Here's the article (http://www.wenn.com/archives/7321#more-7321).

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/06/0609_bar_refaeli_leo_dicaprio_wenn2451783_exc.jpg

Other celebrity UCI fans include Kobe Bryant :drool: and Rocky Theuss (star of the BET reality series Baldwin Hills).

Here's video. (http://www.youtube.com/user/FightTheFight111)

Are you jealous Rob? :p

RobertCB
Jun 10th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Man, you are getting desperate in your attempts to find any kind of UCI love, but it seems that your favorite school is still using Long Beach State's hand me downs :bounce: :lol:.

http://www.nationalpost.com/1636072.bin

gouci
Jun 10th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I guess Leo is a fan of the Big West. :haha:

gouci
Jun 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM
As to your practice of delaying your predictions until January, I see that as being way too conservative. Based on the conference's history, you should be able to make your predictions years in advance :):bounce:.Rob before finalizing your predictions, Long Beach St. has a historical factor that needs to be considered.

That factor is that Long Beach St. has a trend of one or more players leaving the team every season. To show that I'm not making it up but that it's "based on history" as you like to account for, I will list what I'm talking about.

Note: I'm not commenting at all good or bad why these players left, so don't get angry and explode :explode: like Form might do. I'm just listing the facts. :angel:

(season didn't return)(player name)(grade would have been)

2008-09 Stephanie Jeanes 4 - sophomore
2008-09 Lisa Haegele 8 - sophomore

2007-08 Katy Williams 2 - junior
2007-08 Denise Liebschner 8 - sophomore

2006-07 Nina Burgoon 9 - freshman

2005-06 Nicoleta Ratiu 6 - sophomore

2004-05 Alanah Carroll 4/5 - junior

2003-04 Megan Biorkman 3/4 - sophomore
2003-04 Alena Kovalchuk 1 - junior
2003-04 Laura Thomas 2 - junior

2002-03 Anastasia Dvornikova 1 - junior
2002-03 Alena Dvornikova 3 - junior

In each of the last 7 years Long Beach St. has had anywhere from 1 to 3 players leave the team. Now this 49er streak may go back further but the records only go back until 2002 and that's as far back as I can confirm. :lol:

Will this 49er streak stay alive for next season? :bounce:

2009-10 ??? :confused:

form
Jun 15th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I AM HOPEFUL ON ONE STREAK.... LB TROPHIES, UCI ZIPPO (did you remember to dust the empty trophy case this week?)

I recently learned an 09 player is leaving (not allowed to say why) but boosters are aware.

glad to see you still haven't figure out who
1) left because tennis was above your level and they didn't want to work hard
2) left because they were home sick
3) left because they didn't really want to play tennis.. which is why you get a scholie.

Glad to see you still aren't questioning the girl near the bottom of your line up, who I watched lose to a 2 star last summer, who is bleeding your team dry and cost your ...oh, how shall I say it... FIRST EVER... that's how, mmm, feels good... championship.

UNDERHANDSMASH...Look in the mirror.. and then hit self in head with racquet (until you finish the job).

This was such a blatant cheap shot I responded. If I had your lack of class, I'd begin to point out all the UCI faults in detail (former asst, former player with ...............) but hey, scoreboard.

Side note: Rob, please track me down (I think you know how on the net via my work)... Coach would like to add you (and Jim) to the booster list.

gouci
Jun 15th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Hey Form nice to see you posting again. :bigclap:

How was the French Open? :yeah:

Does the trip mean Long Beach St. will be signing some more French players in the future. :bounce:

Would have gone with your 1st thought and not added through edit that 5th & 6th paragraph to your post. :sad:

UNDERHANDSMASH...Look in the mirror.. and then hit self in head with racquet (until you finish the job).

This was such a blatant cheap shot I responded. If I had your lack of class, I'd begin to point out all the UCI faults in detail (former asst, former player with ...............) but hey, scoreboard.

Form the part of you exploding :explode: I got right. :lol:

Form LIGHTEN UP! :hug:

gouci
Jun 17th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Will this 49er streak stay alive for next season? :bounce:

2009-10 ??? :confused:

2009-10 Lisa Sutton 6 - junior

The Long Beach St. STREAK reaches at least 8 years in a row. :woohoo:

Lisa Sutton was essentially 0-10 in dual matches at No. 6 singles against teams that were ranked at season's end.

Playing against a ranked team with Sutton in the line-up it was like Long Beach St. was starting the match down 0-1.

I guess I'm not surprised "Sutsy" was axed by Long Beach St. :timebomb:

gouci
Jun 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Final Rounds Consolation

4 star Jennifer Cornea (Big West recruit) def. 5 star Kathryn Webb 6-3, 7-5
J. Cornea def. blue chip Arianna Colffer 7-5,6-3
J. Cornea lost to blue chip Krista Hardebeck 4-6,2-6

Round of 16

5 star Kristina Smith (UC Irvine) lost to blue chip Lacey Smyth 2-6,2-6

Round of 32

K. Smith (UCI) def. 5 star Jessica Harrow 6-4,6-1
J. Cornea lost to blue chip Jojo Sanford 3-6,2-6

Blue chip Jojo Sanford's ranking has been slipping lately. Maybe she'll slip into UCI's range. :hehehe:

Round of 32 Prelim

K. Smith (UCI) def. 4 star Miya Jin 6-2,6-2
4 star Taylor Raney (UC Riverside) lost to 5 star Nikki Sanders 2-6,4-6
J. Cornea def. 4 star Kristin Eggleston (New Mexico) 6-1,6-2

Round of 64 Prelim

4 star Eleanor Edles (UC Davis) lost to 3 star Victoria Wing 3-6,4-6
K. Smith (UCI) def. J. Nguyen 6-0,6-0
J. Cornea def. 2 star Ariel Beckerman 6-1,6-1
T. Raney (UCR) def. 1 star Gabriela Velasco 6-3,6-0

Round of 128 Prelim

4 star Tiffany Mai (Cal St. Fullerton) lost to 3 star Jamie Raney 2-6,0-6
3 star Natalie McKay lost to 3 star Maya Humes 5-7,0-6
T. Raney (UCR) def. 4 star Hailey Hogan 7-5,6-4

gouci
Jul 4th, 2009, 07:48 AM
At the annual banquet 5 star Kristina Smith (UC Irvine) was presented with the Girls 18s SCTA sportsmanship award. :bigclap:

gouci
Jul 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Victor was named new Chair of the Western Region ITA Coaches' Committee, which votes on the rankings.

CSUN Tennis Head Coach Gary Victor Enjoys Busy Summer (http://gomatadors.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/062409aaa.html)

gouci
Jul 7th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hey Form, it's been like a month since you posted last. :eek:

It's time to come back and call a truce for the year. :hug:

To show good faith, here is a peace offering. :bigclap:

Form I will share one of my trade secrets with you. I will reveal a "hidden page" on TRN that has not been made public yet. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

But by looking at the page you agree to come back and agree to the truce. :angel: :angel: :angel:

TRN hidden page (http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/list.asp?id=2109) :drool:

gouci
Jul 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Semi-Finals

Maggie Mello (Texas) def. Kristina Smith (UCI) 7-6,6-2

4th Round

Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) 6-4,6-1 :worship:

3rd Round

Alison Ramos (USC) def. Elly Edles (UC Davis)
Kristina Smith (UCI) def. 4 star Tiffany Tran (Penn Foster HS)

2nd Round

4 star Lisel Lewis (Idaho St.) def. Natalie McKay (UCR)

1st Round

3 star Kelsey Costales (LB Wilson HS) def. Miranda Young (UCI)
Natalie McKay (UC Riverside) def. Amira Massi (CSUN)

gouci
Aug 5th, 2009, 02:41 AM
UC Irvine & Long Beach St. have been named ITA All-Academic Teams for 2008-09. :worship:
This award is given for a cumulative team GPA of 3.2 or higher on a 4.00 scale.

Below are ITA All-Academic Individual Honorees for those who finished the year with a 3.5+ GPA.

UC Irvine
- Stephanie Hammel
- Miranda Young
- Ali Borowicz

Long Beach St.
- Hannah Grady
- Deborah Armstrong
- Anais Dallara
- Julie Luzar
- Jessica Weeks
- Stephanie Jeanes

gouci
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:12 AM
Williams Departing A Winner

UNLV senior netter a rare four-time league champ despite earlier transfer.

May 8, 2009

LAS VEGAS - When college tennis standout Katy Williams was looking for a new school to play for a couple of years ago, the all-conference performer wanted to end up somewhere she could continue her winning ways.

Mission accomplished.

The former Long Beach State transfer ultimately decided to spend her final two seasons at UNLV and it turned into a win-win (and win) situation for both her and the Lady Rebels.

Named All-Big West in both singles and doubles both of her seasons playing in the top two of the lineup for the highly ranked 49ers, Williams moved her net show to Las Vegas in time for the fall semester of 2007.

"When I left (LBSU), I wanted to go somewhere where hopefully my team would be winning - just like we've ended up doing here," says the native of Stevenage, England. "I had never been to Las Vegas but I talked to (former Lady Rebel and fellow Brit) Claire Smith, who I knew from home, about UNLV, and I really liked Kevin's enthusiasm about the program."

"Kevin" would be Lady Rebel head coach Kevin Cory, who has built a budding dynasty in the desert during his decade on campus, producing a combined five league titles. And he says it's no coincidence that his team won two of those championships after Williams joined the fold.

"Katy has been a really big part of our success the past two seasons and she's helped lead this team both on the court and in the classroom," he says of a player that is a candidate for Academic All-America honors. "She's a great example of what a student-athlete should be. You would have to talk about her as one of the top transfer players in the history of the program."

Williams, who ranked as high as 118th in singles and 53rd in doubles during her career, settled into the No. 3 spot in the UNLV lineup and produced two 20-win seasons, including 25-12 as a senior en route to All-MWC honors. In doubles, she joined Kristina Nedeltcheva this year to form the team's top duo and posted a 25-7 mark that has already tied for the fourth most wins in UNLV single-season history.

Also a two-time league champ at Long Beach, she brought a winning vibe to her new program that helped UNLV win Mountain West crowns in back-to-back seasons - a tournament title in 2008 and an impressive 8-0 regular-season championship this spring - after the team had gone four years without a first-place finish.

That success not only helped move the Lady Rebels back into the top echelon of the MWC, but also gave Williams the rare distinction of being a four-time conference champion despite playing at two different schools.

"I didn't expect to win a championship every year in college but it's been a lot of fun doing it," she says. "It was a great feeling this year to go undefeated in the conference as a senior. We didn't have the strongest start so no one on the team was talking about winning every match. Then we had that great weekend in San Diego (beating New Mexico, TCU and San Diego State in successive days), which showed us that we could play with anybody."

A communications major, Williams was set to walk at spring commencement ceremonies on May 9 but instead will be running in Los Angeles, facing Arizona State in the first round of the NCAA Championships. The 44th-ranked Lady Rebels used their 20-7 record, which included a 13-match winning streak, to earn an at-large bid to the big event for the eighth time in history.

Williams and her teammates will face the Pac-10 power starting at 9 a.m. PT on Saturday on the campus of UCLA. And while she'll miss receiving her symbolic diploma, the former transfer will graduate from college with honors - as a four-time champion.

gouci
Sep 10th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Qualifying Singles

67. Brittany Blalock - Cal Poly
69. Jenifer Widjaja - Pacific

Qualifying Doubles

30. Suzie Matzenauer / Amy Markhoff - Cal Poly

Qualifying Doubes alternate

41. Michelle Murphy / Sofia Novak - UCSB

Prequalifying Singles

Suzie Matzenauer - Cal Poly

Prequalifying Singles alternate

Stephanie Hammel - UCI
Courtney Byron - UCI
Michelle Murphy - UCSB

Prequalifying Doubles

Brittany Blalock / Steffi Wong - Cal Poly

Prequalifying Doubles alternate

Stephanie Hammel / Courtney Byron - UCI = IN
Jenifer Widjaja / Julia Hansen - Pacific

Preseason Rankings

121. Anais Dallara - Long Beach St.

42. Anais Dallara / Rachel Manasse - Long Beach St.

Anais Dallara is currently ranked in singles and doubles but not entered in the Riviera. :confused:

And there's not even a release about her preseason rankings on the Long Beach St. site. :o

form
Sep 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
My understanding is that LB coach does not believe in pre-quals entries where it is single elimination with no back draw. If you lose first round (tough draw?), the athlete blows an allowed match date. Thus LB always goes to Cal Tourney with guaranteed 3 matches that weekend against equal competition.

With Grady gone, my guess is no LB entry went straight into Quals where there is a back draw.

Lastly, I am told Dallara picked up an injury over the summar and will not be on the court for another 2 weeks. Not sure if that means coach will enter her at Cal or not.

gouci
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Form can you verify when the Cal Invite begins. :help:

Cal Invitational - LBS says it starts 9/25 while Cal says 10/2?

form
Sep 19th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Hey Form can you verify when the Cal Invite begins. :help:

Cal Invitational - LBS says it starts 9/25 while Cal says 10/2?

10/2 ... typical

gouci
Oct 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yesterday the CIF Southern Section Div. 1 (in Southern CA) no. 1 team Dana Pointe Dana Hills HS defeated the no. 2 team North Hollywood Campbell Hall HS 10-8.

Interesting to note freshman blue chip Alyssa Smith of Dana Hills, younger sister of UCI freshman Kristina Smith, in singles swept both junior blue chip Sabrina Santamaria (USC bound) and junior blue chip Sarah Lee.

Blue chip Alyssa Smith may seem familiar because she was the player UCI's April Bisharat defeated :woohoo: in the $50,000 Carson tournament tennisbuddy12 provided a video of. :worship:

gouci
Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
10/2 ... typical

Here's some funny reading from a Long Beach St. release!

Tennis begins season at Cal Nike Ivitational (http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports/w-tennis/spec-rel/100109aaa.html)

"Junior Deborah Armstrong returns for her third season with the 49ers just two wins why of reaching 100 wins over her career." :lol:

"...Alawi, hailing from Sofia, Bulgaria, has been ranked as high as 170 by the ATF and will get her first chance at collegiate competition this weekend."

Didn't know the department of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms (ATF) had rankings. Sounds like Alawi is just getting out of jail after being one of America's Most Wanted? :haha:

gouci
Oct 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
UC Irvine

- April Bisharat acquires a WTA ranking of #978. This was as a result of her win over #390 Asia Muhammed.

- Stephanie Hammel goes 5-1 in the Pre-qualifying of the Riviera All-American Tournament and advances into Qualifying singles. :worship: Courtney Byron goes 3-2.

- Jennifer Cornea and Nicole Koehly, 2 recruits with a high interest in UC Irvine, have been upgraded to 5 star players. :worship:

- What a great week for UCI tennis. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

gouci
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:45 AM
1. I hate to see California 5 star players like Elena Najera Salas and Marivick Mamiit go out of state to Denver and William & Mary. :(

I hope Salas and Mamiit didn't pick their college based on Denver's and William & Mary's past glory. If they did they're in for a rude awakening. :haha: Both schools have new coaches so throw Denver's top 30 and W&M's top 20 past rankings out the window. :help:

2. UC Davis is milking their huge pipeline to the Match Point Tennis Academy. :eek: Dahra Zamudio, Eleanor Edles, Nicole Koehly and Megan Heneghan are all alumni of that academy located in UCI's backyard porch at the Racquet Club of Irvine. :lol:

UC Davis just added the top of their line-up next season with Heneghan and Koehly. IMHO Davis just leap frogged some teams in contending for that Big West #3 spot next season.

3. Looks like UCI is passing on 5 stars Koehly, Heneghan and Jennifer Cornea who would have been fighting for the #6 singles spot behind higher ranked and probably #5 singles Kristina Smith.

As I was speculating UCI has their sights on higher rated recruits one of which comes from San Diego County if I'm right. :bounce:

10sFan
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Jennifer Cornea says it will be SLO, so still on topic of Big West News :)

gouci
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Jennifer Cornea says it will be SLO, so still on topic of Big West News :)

Welcome to the board 10sFan. :wavey:
What team do you root for?

With Cal Poly having 4 seniors this season including Nos. 1 & 2 Brittany Blalock and Suzie Matzenauer graduating, Jennifer Cornea may end up Cal Poly's new #1 singles next season!

10sFan
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I've been following the Big West for a couple of years as I have seen some players that I knew from the juniors go on to play for such esteemed programs as UCI and CSLB among others, but I recently developed an affinity for the UCR program.

I saw your post a few weeks ago suggesting that UCR would be pretty weak again this season. The UCI tournament will give us a better indication of what to expect, but I expect that UCR will be deeper this year. I don't think they will have anyone to match up with the big dogs at the top spots, but with luck, the added depth will make them more competitive at the lower spots.

You do a great job with all your Big West and recruiting posts, and it is much appreciated!

gouci
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
You can probably count on one hand the number of American players that have signed to play for Long Beach St. in the 2000s. So I'll guess you may be referring to Sandra Rocha? :lol:

UCR has put themselves in a big disadvantage by having their women's tennis program about 67% or less fully funded. Unfortunately until their funding increases what UCR has to look forward to will be battling Cal St. Fullerton for 8th place in the Big West every year. :sad:

10sFan
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to challenge you, but no - I don't know Sandra Rocha :) You can have 5 guesses for the LB player, but only 1 for the UCI player :)

The number of scholies is a tremendous disadvantage. I am not sure that you can't put a competitive team together with only 6, but it sure magnifies the impact of a mistake. Teams with 8 can carry a player that doesn't work out, or that takes time to develop, whereas a mistake when you have only 6 really hurts the competitiveness of the team. Even with 8, every player is a bit of a gamble - some will blossom while others will disappoint.

One advantage that UCR has is that there are a lot of good players in Southern California that would rather stay local, and UCI can't take them all :) I think the money plus location explains the success of a program like Concordia which does have some excellent players, but I expect they also have more players on scholarship than UCR. LB has a great program, but as you note, I don't see them recruiting many players from the area.

You are probably correct about UCR, but I think your original observation was based upon the CSUF tourney results, and I think UCR only played one freshman. Hopefully, we will see all 3 next week at UCI.

gouci
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:07 AM
10sFan if your connection to the players is through the Riverside area, the only recent UCI player from Riverside was Kristina Boss.

The only other connection I can see is through the Placentia area. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) and Natalie McKay (UCR) both went to Valencia HS in Placentia while Julie Luzar (LBS) went to El Dorado HS also in Placentia. :shrug:

10sFan
Nov 9th, 2009, 06:30 AM
The only other connection I can see is through the Placentia area. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) and Natalie McKay (UCR) both went to Valencia HS in Placentia while Julie Luzar (LBS) went to El Dorado HS also in Placentia. :shrug:

Impressive! I do know all three players through high school tennis though Stephanie and Natalie actually share a private coach, who also worked with Julie when she was young, so there is another thread :D

gouci
Nov 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
10sFan if your a new fan of college tennis let me offer a friendly tip on how to better evaluate college players. First let me say any player that plays Div. 1 college tennis was probably a great high school player. But once in college the players are being compared to their peers of other college players including upper classmen. They should no longer be compared to other high school players. So when evaluating college players you will have to raise the curve.

So when you say UCR has the advantage of a lot of good players in SoCal you mean good high school players which is not the same as good Div. 1 college players.

Recruiting Curve
One curve to use on how an incoming recruit potentially stacks up nationally is the TRN (tennisrecruiting.net) rating system. I'm just drawing arbitrary lines here as a general example.

Blue chip = great recruit
5 star = good recruit
4 star #76 - 125 = avg. recruit
4 star 126 & below = below avg. recruit
3 star or less = walk-on level

Ex. A 4 star #150 recruit may have been one of the best 3 players in her state in high school, but in Div. 1 college she may project only as a bench or walk-on level player.

Conference Curve
Another curve to use on how a players stacks up in conference is the all conference team for singles & doubles.

1st team All Conference
2nd team All Conference
Honorable Mention

Ex. If a team adds a projected 1st Team All Big West player like April Bisharat that is something to get very excited about because 1st teamers will have a HUGE impact on the conference standings.

Ex. Another team may have added a blue chip player like USC did with Cristala Andrews a few years ago but if she doesn't project to even make Pac 10 honorable mention in her career than it's nothing to get excited about from the stand point she's a non-factor in shaping the conference standings.

So when evaluating an incoming recruit don't focus on their great HS accomplishments but look at if they can crack their team's starting lineup in singles or doubles? Also look at the bigger picture if they can crack one of the All Conference teams and make any kind of impact on the conference standings.

Ex. UCI's Hayley Young in HS was the team captain for Corona Del Mar as they had a perfect UNDEFEATED HS season winning both the CIF Div. 1 title and the national HS tournament title. But in Div. 1 college tennis she was just a walk-on last season.

10sFan
Nov 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
All this is academic. As I said, I was looking forward to seeing how the players actually perform, and then we will get a better feel for whether they will contribute or not.

I do like the TRN system as it is the best out there, especially now that even the So Cal ranking system has gone to the point based system, but it still doesn't tell the entire story as I think most any college coach would tell you. They want to see the player's actual game in order to see the potential.

To give specific examples, I was confident that Stephanie would do well in collegiate tennis, because she had all the tools, and just needed to fine tune some elements of her game in order to raise her game to the next level. In contrast, I felt that Alison Ramos was pretty much maxed out in junior tennis, and though her game is already at a high level, she would probably not be able to take her game to an even higher level. I was also skeptical that Julie would be able to raise her level substantially, and would have advised her to take a different offer where she might have contributed more to the program.

I understand your focus is on players like Bisharat that have the potential to impact the UCI/LB competition for #1. I certainly don't expect UCR to contend with UCI/LB, but I think they will be a bit tougher competition for the mid-pack teams in the Big West than last year. Your observation that prompted my response suggested that they would be perennial bottom dwellers that couldn't beat Concordia, and while that remains to be seen, I think they do have the potential to disprove that.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

BTW, do you know whether the the draw for the UCI tournament has been published yet?

gouci
Nov 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
BTW, do you know whether the the draw for the UCI tournament has been published yet?
I don't know. I probably won't be paying much attention to the UCI Invite. This Friday is for the 1st UCI men's basketball game and Saturday is for the Pacquiao vs Cotto fight! :lol:

I'll probably just glance at some UCI scores when the results come out.

To be honest I'm probably more interested in the results of the CSUN Invite this weekend as I try to gauge the strength of UCI opponents like UCSB and Boise St.

gouci
Nov 23rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Here's an article that partially mentions UC Irvine coach Mike Edles.

Former All-Americans Come Back To Lead Anteaters (http://www.ucirvinesports.com/genrel/111709aaa.html)

“The UCI alumni connection is starting to reap the benefits because past athletes and alums now have children nearing the college age,” Edles added.
- One example is Darin Chappell who's dad Bob was an All-American tennis player for UCI. Now TRN wasn't around yet when Darin Chappell signed with UCI but I would rate her as a high 5 star recruit. The next year Chappell brought to UCI her doubles partner Jonnie Seymour who I would rate as a borderline blue chip recruit.

- Another example is 5 star Kristina Smith who's mother played tennis for UCI. Kristina has 2 younger sisters Joanna & Alyssa that have been rated blue chip players. Hopefully UCI will get their consideration. (Fingers crossed.)

One way a non BCS/Ivy school like UCI may be able to get a blue chip recruit, until UCI can break into the top 25 rankings, is through breeding. Have a former UCI player send their blue chip kid to Irvine. :lol:

gouci
Dec 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Hey Form since you're lurking around, do you know when Collegetennisonline will show the fall tournament results and scores for players on their website? :confused: The 1st individual rankings came out in early Jan. last year. CTO will need to enter those results to compute the individual rankings.

form
Dec 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM
The ITA no longer uses College Tennis Online

They've created their own location to input scores.

1) That location sucks
2) It does not then post the results publicly
3) It does not then summarize results per team or player (wins/loss totals for the year)

A significant step backwards... no idea why but they brought it all in house and it is useless for the public

CTO is effectively dead

gouci
Dec 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM
CTO was the best place for college tennis fans. It was the only site that had schedules, match results, box scores and rankings all in one place.

The ITA made a stupid decision with regards to the public interest. :shout::shout::shout:

Are they trying to lose the small college tennis fan base that they have? :banghead:

fantic
Dec 25th, 2009, 06:44 AM
may I post here :)

I saw UCI players at WAATC & SW R and was VERY impressed.
---
Riviera/ITA Women's All American

Pre-Qualifying Singles

Saturday, October 3

Stephanie Hammel (UCI) def. Stefi Balda (Clemson) 6-4, 6-2 :eek:
Stephanie Hammel (UCI) def. Maggie Mello (Texas) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 :eek:
Courtney Byron (UCI) def. Naoko Ueshima (Georgia) 6-3, 6-3 :eek:
Megan Alexander (TCU) def. Courtney Byron (UCI) 6-1, 6-1

Sunday, October 4

Stephanie Hammel (UCI) def. Megan Alexander (TCU) 7-6, 6-3 :eek:

Pre-Qualifying Doubles

Saturday, October 3

Hammel/Byron (UCI) def. Garland/Ullathorne (Texas Tech) 8-6

Sunday, October 4

Hammel/Byron (UCI) def. Baca/Zheltova (Sacramento State) 8-5 :eek:
Frank/Potgieter (Texas A&M) def. Hammel/Byron (UCI) 8-5

Qualifying Singles

Tuesday, October 6

Irene Rehberger (South Florida) def. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) 6-3, 6-2

---
SW R

Singles - Round of 32
April Bisharat (UCI) def. No. 10 Alexandria Walters (Pepperdine) 6-2, 6-1 :eek:
No. 3 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) 6-4, 6-2

Singles - Round of 16
No. 1 Kelcy McKenna (Arizona State) def. April Bisharat (UCI) 6-2, 6-1

Singles - Consolation Round of 64
Brooke Doane (Cal State Northridge) def. Courtney Byron (UCI) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2

Singles - Consolation Round of 32
Brooke Bartlett (UCI) def. Alexandria Demidova (San Diego) 6-0, 6-3

Doubles - Round of 16
Hammel/Byron (UCI) def. Landsman/Masschelein (Arizona) 8-1 :eek:
No. 2 Pulido-Velasco/Sanchez (USC) def. Bartlett/Bisharat (UCI) 8-1

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Singles - Consolation Round of 16
Brooke Bartlett (UCI) def. Olivia Colman (San Diego State) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3

Singles - Consolation Quarterfinals
Brooke Bartlett (UCI) def. Ashlee Brown (Arizona State) 7-6, 7-5

Doubles - Quarterfinals
Hammel/Byron (UCI) def. Coupez/Raygada (San Diego) 8-4

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Singles - Consolation Semifinals
Brooke Bartlett (UCI) def. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 :mad:

Doubles - Semifinals
Hammel/Byron (UCI) def. No. 5 Brown/Hein (Arizona State) 8-4 :eek:

Doubles - Championship
No. 1 Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. Hammel/Byron (UCI) 8-4 :worship:

Monday, October 26, 2009

Singles - Consolation Championship
Brooke Bartlett (UCI) def. No. 17 Stephanie Hoffpauir (UCLA) 6-4, 6-3 :eek:

This squad is REALLY good. I saw LBS last season (Grady, of course) play against LMU, but it won't be
easy against UCI..

fantic
Dec 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM
UCI's schedule also is very interesting. USC, UCLA, LMU, LBS, UW, NM St(saw them play against Fresno St, Marks and Kulaif were pretty good. Too bad Bouget is not in the roster now), Boise St(Thongdach), Saint Mary's(they're very good, they harassed Pepperdine at last WCC final, and has Isip now), TCU(Munch-Soegaard, Duncan, Alexander), SD(Coupez!)..I would like to watch
all these games :)

gouci
Dec 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Fantic there are already separate threads talking about your last 2 posts. ;):lol:

You didn't really think those things you posted about UCI would slip by me without mention. :drool:

Catch up below. :bounce:

Big West - 2009-10 Tournaments (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=387585)

Big West - 2010 key matches (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=387586)

fantic
Dec 25th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Fantic there are already separate threads talking about your last 2 posts. ;):lol:

You didn't really think those things you posted about UCI would slip by me without mention. :drool:

Catch up below. :bounce:

Big West - 2009-10 Tournaments (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=387585)

Big West - 2010 key matches (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=387586)

I did..not know that there were multiple threads of Big West :)
Anyway this season's UCI IS the team to watch, seriously ;)