PDA

View Full Version : Ana Ivanovic & Dinara Safina

sasha&tennis
May 30th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Am I the only one sitting back realizing that when Ana & Safina play that Ana is going to win? Ana leads their head to head 3-1 and has won the last 3 meetings. The most recent one was...you guessed it the 2008 French Open Final and Safina did not play bad.

Let's take a look at what has taken place during both players previous rounds. They have both been impressive in their own way but Ana has been impressive against better players. Just look at their draws and you can see the difference in the quality of players. I don't even know one of the girls Safina has played.
I truly believe that Ana is going to win this tournament even with Serena in it.
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/draws/ws/index.html

tennnisfannn
May 30th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Ana is very tricky, last year she accomplished zero before the FO, was under the radar till she made the final, who knows this year maybe the same. She has had amazing success here at the FO.
She could be to FO what Venus is to Wimby- absolutely no pre torunament achievement to make her success plausible yet she does it again and again and again.

AnomyBC
May 30th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I think Ana is playing better than anyone expected, but I still don't think she can beat Safina the way that Safina's been playing. It really sucks that they're in the same quarter because they're probably the two girls who are playing the best so far. I wish they could at least play in a Semifinal or something :sad:

Xanadu11
May 30th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I think all Safina fans are a little nervous about the Ana match (well I am), it is not a given Din Din will win but I don't really think that Anas draw so far has been particularly harder then Dinaras. Without having seen any of her matches, Dinara has just made everyone look bad not necessarily that they have been playing horribly. Hopefully she hasn't peaked too early but if they do make it there I expect Dinara to win. I mean whens the last time Ana even beat anyone of note?

darkangel5452
May 30th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Since when Ana has been impressive with better players, Ana beat Tanaswhatever, who is not good at all on clay, then she beat Benesova, who is clearly not enough powerfull, and her serve is not that fast, I think Safina impressed more, she beat Pavlyuchenkova , 27 seed and clearly moire dangerous than Benesova or Tana...,, I'm not saying Safina will win against Ana, but say Ana's wins are more impressive is false. Safina lost 4 games in 3 matches, and none break her once, it's really impressive.

Daniel K
May 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I can definitely see it happening. Ana's forehand has enough firepower to hit through Safina but we will see if it comes to that.

Tennisstar86
May 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Theres noway to tell, They're in a weak quarter and havent had to play anyone of course they arent losing games...

Nalla
May 30th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Safina is in incredible form , and Ana is just getting her form back. I like both of them, and think it's hard to tell who will win. Let us just wait and see. They still have one more match to play before 1/4 finals :)

Nikkiri
May 30th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Safina is in scary form Ana would have to play insane to beat her I reckon.

InsideOut.
May 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
They still have to get there. We could get Suarez Navarro vs. Rezai instead.

I think all Safina fans are a little nervous about the Ana match (well I am), it is not a given Din Din will win but I don't really think that Anas draw so far has been particularly harder then Dinaras. Without having seen any of her matches, Dinara has just made everyone look bad not necessarily that they have been playing horribly. Hopefully she hasn't peaked too early but if they do make it there I expect Dinara to win. I mean whens the last time Ana even beat anyone of note?

And I think all Ana fans are more nervous about meeting Victoria/Carla right now. Better to take it match by match, since Ana can lose to just about anybody and can also beat most people - it all depends on her. As for Dinara, if they both get there - I don't want to think about it. Dinara is really scaring me.

spiritedenergy
May 30th, 2009, 08:48 AM
no jinxes please:unsure:

tennisbear7
May 30th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I think that if Ana met Dinara, it'd be a good match but Ana's a bad matchup for Dinara. Dinara traditionally beats people who can't hit through her. Ana can, and that showed last year. :shrug:

Cp6uja
May 30th, 2009, 09:10 AM
If Ivanovic beat Azarenka/Navarro in next round her W/L 23-3 ratio (.885) will be 4th best in Roland Garros Open Era WTA history (behind Evert, Henin and Graf, and ahead all others including Seles, ASV, Navratilova...) and if Safina lose less than 5 games vs Rezai next round (why not?) she will join to exclusive club with Evert, Graf and Pierce which reach QF in Paris losing just 1 or less games per set during whole 1st week!

Rematch of previous season final is always very intrigue match to watch at slams and if You see all this numbers - this will be even more special!

darkangel5452
May 30th, 2009, 09:33 AM
If Ivanovic beat Azarenka/Navarro in next round her W/L 23-3 ratio (.885) will be 4th best in Roland Garros Open Era WTA history

Really good for her, and honestly, she better play well during this event because it's the only one she can win right now, Ivanovic, Safina Kuz and Jankovc better take their chances, there is ONLY one slam for them.

~{X}~
May 30th, 2009, 09:44 AM
She's only played the event 4 times, so if you do well those 4 times, of course your percentage will be amazing. Her worst showing was 3rd Round in 2006.

young_gunner913
May 30th, 2009, 09:45 AM
oh please. with how dinara is playing she could bitch slap a bagel on ana with a blindfold while making pancakes.

Cp6uja
May 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM
She's only played the event 4 times, so if you do well those 4 times, of course your percentage will be amazing. Her worst showing was 3rd Round in 2006.If Ivanovic beat Azarenka/Navarro in next round her W/L 23-3 ratio (.885) will be 4th best in Roland Garros Open Era WTA history (behind Evert, Henin and Graf, and ahead all others including Seles, ASV, Navratilova...) and if Safina lose less than 5 games vs Rezai next round (why not?) she will join to exclusive club with Evert, Graf and Pierce which reach QF in Paris losing just 1 or less games per set during whole 1st week!

Rematch of previous season final is always very intrigue match to watch at slams and if You see all this numbers - this will be even more special!"PLAYING WELL" and "4th best W-L since 1975" is not same things.

I'm not saying that Ana will finish career like RG TOP5 best ever or whatever, just that she will going in that eventual Quarterfinal vs Safina like defending champion, finalist of last two RG and with WTA Open Era 4th best W-L ratio at French Open. On other hand Safina (current #1 and last season RG finalist) will going in that QF and RG 2nd week with probably WTA best ever previous results during red clay season winning both big pre-RG titles (and don't forget that 2M$ Premier-5 Rome > Rome tier-I from past and 4.5M$ Madrid Mandatory >>> Berlin tier-I from past) and losing shocking number of games during RG Week-1.

Dinara/Ana will be real showdown.

lilimi
May 30th, 2009, 10:29 AM
i also think ana is thefavourite against dinara. she just has a game dinara is not comfortable with.

StephenUK
May 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Ana is playing way better than anyone expected so that quarter-final will be a fierce test for Safina. You would expect whichever of them who wins it will reach the final. I agree that if Safina is going to be derailed, this match would be it.

Russianboy
May 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
during last years final, in the first set dinara looked over to her team and said that she is pooped on russian. from then I knew she was not going to win.
this year she will be so fit, and has good chances to win against ana.

H.A.M.
May 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
That's excatly what I think from the first day of competition. After her match against Errani, I told myself she had a great chance of getting past Dinara and win the whole thing. She's fabulous to watch on clay. I hate her but on clay she's just the business :inlove:

-jenks-
May 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM
It should be a great match!

Although Ana is my current favorite until Kim comes back, I wouldn't mind if Safina takes this (as long as she goes on to win the tournament)

I'm looking forward to it, but they both need one more win until we get the rematch!

AJDE ANA!! :armed:

Sharpie4me
May 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Ana will win Roland Garros 2009 :)

toxina90
May 30th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I think last year Safina admitted she was exhausted and this year I don't see any matches by her, coming back from behind and saving match points etc...so this year Dinara will be in better form and will win the encounter...

tennisbear7
May 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Safina has played a lot of matches in the past few weeks, and with her body she's bound to be somewhat tired.

But first thing's first: Ana needs to beat Azarenka, which will be a mouth-watering match.

Corswandt
May 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Am I the only one sitting back realizing that when Ana & Safina play that Ana is going to win? Ana leads their head to head 3-1 and has won the last 3 meetings. The most recent one was...you guessed it the 2008 French Open Final and Safina did not play bad.

Let's take a look at what has taken place during both players previous rounds. They have both been impressive in their own way but Ana has been impressive against better players. Just look at their draws and you can see the difference in the quality of players. I don't even know one of the girls Safina has played.

I truly believe that Ana is going to win this tournament even with Serena in it.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/draws/ws/index.html

No, you're not the only one. I agree with everything you said, and I've been saying that for some time now.

Safina's blowout win over Pavlyuchenkova is irrelevant. Pavlyuchenkova can't handle any kind of pace unless she's dictating (then again Benesova is much the same); her big wins this season were against puffballers - Jankovic, Radwanska.

Ivanovic is a very bad matchup for Safina. I feel that if Safina plays (and above all serves) well, she loses something like 3 and 4. If she plays poorly, it will be a beatdown.

Time for Krajan to surprise me yet again and find a way for Safina to win this, because I sure can't find any.

chuvack
May 30th, 2009, 06:33 PM
No, you're not the only one. I agree with everything you said, and I've been saying that for some time now.

Safina's blowout win over Pavlyuchenkova is irrelevant. Pavlyuchenkova can't handle any kind of pace unless she's dictating (then again Benesova is much the same); her big wins this season were against puffballers - Jankovic, Radwanska.

Ivanovic is a very bad matchup for Safina. I feel that if Safina plays (and above all serves) well, she loses something like 3 and 4. If she plays poorly, it will be a beatdown.

Time for Krajan to surprise me yet again and find a way for Safina to win this, because I sure can't find any.

You have been talking awfully big about how Ivanovic is going to beat Safina and repeat as FO winner. For the sake of your reputation, you had better be right. The 1-3 H2H means nothing. Dinara is in perfect form now. Ivanovic has beaten nobody good as of yet (Benesova is the biggest joke in the Top 50) and she may well lose to Azarenka who showed great fight in the best match of the tourney so far.

spiritedenergy
May 30th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ana has to beat Azarenka first... that's not exactly easy or given. This matchup may totally not happen:sobbing:

serenus_2k8
May 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I hope so, the points Ana will lose otherwise is too much to bare :o

Ana has the slam and the mentality of a champion that comes with it. I hope that kicks in and takes her through.

Svetlana.
May 30th, 2009, 06:36 PM
a first real test for Dinara

morningglory
May 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
No jinxes pls :lol: (but then again if they do manage to make it to the match I will be rooting heavily for Ana)

Orbis
May 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
This all screams "jinx". They're not even set to meet yet.
If they do meet, I'm sure it will be a great and entertaining match. Also, Ana is not the favourite. Safina has had an amazing clay court season so far and has demolished all of her opponents in RG. Ana may lead the head to head but they are 1-1 on clay (I think) and the last time they played was almost a year ago. It's a toss up.

LUVMIRZA
May 30th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Dinara has a thing added to her game this RG - CONFIDENCE. She believes in herself now. I hope she can win the whole thing this year:drool:

Horizon
May 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
This all screams "jinx". They're not even set to meet yet.
If they do meet, I'm sure it will be a great and entertaining match. Also, Ana is not the favourite. Safina has had an amazing clay court season so far and has demolished all of her opponents in RG. Ana may lead the head to head but they are 1-1 on clay (I think) and the last time they played was almost a year ago. It's a toss up.
Thank you :o

If they meet, Safina's clay court season will be at 18-1.

Ana's will be, what, 6-1? With a knee injury.

Ana definetely CAN beat Safina, but I think she goes in as a major underdog, both by form and ranking.

And this match up is still completely theoretical. Vika is no pushover :shrug:

jegood
May 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I'm more afraid of the Ana Ivanovic/Victoria Azarenka match right now. I don't think Ana's form is at the highest level at the moment, and Victoria's shown us some pretty awesome tennis so far.
Anyway, all I have to say is Ana, Ana, Ana, Ana, Ana:bounce::kiss:..maybe this will help her:) in the upcoming match.