PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Larcher de Brito: a 'yes' or 'no' question

tea
May 29th, 2009, 08:41 PM
This girl made a lot of noise today. A fun thing that the discussions about her even shadowed the Venus loss.

So the question is: do you like her or do you not.:) Just wondering what the percentage in the poll will be. Preliminary I guess it's 80/20 against.:)

Just a poll, discussions are welcome but not necessarily.:)

Uranium
May 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hell no.

Simplicity.
May 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Yes

taevaughn
May 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
mich rocks. i still have a pic of her when she won the orange bowl. :)

M.P
May 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hell YES!

volta
May 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
indifferent right now but again i see myself becoming a fan. she has intensity is fearless and is a fighter those are 3 things that i like. just needs to stop with the scream and the brat antics thats all

morningglory
May 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM
YES!!! :hearts:

bobbynorwich
May 29th, 2009, 08:47 PM
She's needs to stop the shrieking first before I can get on her bandwagon.

AnnaK_4ever
May 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
MLDB is talented, without a doubt. MLDB's definitely got very impressive groundstrokes. Most probably she's gonna be a top player and slam contender.
But she is a cheater and acts like a spoiled brat so my answer is NO.

Effy
May 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
yes, i always liked her. Not the biggest fan but she has a good game. And i LIKE her screams :p

Joe.
May 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
i dont see why some people dont like her just because she is noisy. her grunt is over the top but some of her tennis is stunning:)

Ellery
Hell no.

This.

Vaidisova Ruled
Yes!
Despite her grunt, I really like her game and shehas a bitchy side. She's good for WTA
Say what you want but today there has already been 4-5 threads about her. She's like Capriati, she is entertaining and has some personality.

Derek.
May 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I've been a fan of hers for over a year now. :D

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM
yes, been a fan for some time now.

Effy
May 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM
the fact that loads of ppl here discuss her and her grunts speaks for itself ;)

Calliope.
May 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Yessss :hearts: :worship: :bounce:

Dave.
May 29th, 2009, 09:02 PM
i dont see why some people dont like her just because she is noisy. her grunt is over the top but some of her tennis is stunning:)

That's just it. She's probably the first player whose grunts totally outshadow their tennis. I'm not prepared to sit through that noise, and if I do watch her, all that is on my mind is that noise that any good play of her's just becomes irrelevant.

taevaughn
May 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Yes!
Despite her grunt, I really like her game and shehas a bitchy side. She's good for WTA
Say what you want but today there has already been 4-5 threads about her. She's like Capriati, she is entertaining and has some personality.

lolz @ bitchy side. cmon she was bummed out cuz she lost but the rg crowd were acting like she was rude to aravane and stuff. mich just wanted to get off the court cuz she was so disappointed. remember this tourney and how well she did was major for her.

Sexysova
May 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I like her game but I don't like her so NO :lol:

KournikovaFan91
May 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I think she is an abnoxious bratty teenager, with a ridiculous grunt.

Aaric
May 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Yes, I like her :yeah:

DragonFlame
May 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I think she is an abnoxious bratty teenager, with a ridiculous grunt.

Couldn´t say it any better. The girl has such an annoying attitude, and somebody needs to shut her up fast. Definetly won´t be a fan of her.

Aravanecaravan
May 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM
It's not that she's noisy. It's that she's artificially, purposefully and demonstrably noisy. In other words, it isn't something she does by accident. It's something she either learned or taught herself to fuck with her opponents--that is plainly obvious. What it suggests is that her tennis in and of itself is not good enough to win--she needs to shriek to help herself out.

No, I don't like players I can't respect.

taevaughn
May 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
It's not that she's noisy. It's that she's artificially, purposefully and demonstrably noisy. In other words, it isn't something she does by accident. It's something she either learned or taught herself to fuck with her opponents--that is plainly obvious. What it suggests is that her tennis in and of itself is not good enough to win--she needs to shriek to help herself out.

No, I don't like players I can't respect.

i so dont see it like that but ok. everybody grunts. :shrug:

hugo2004
May 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Big fan of her.

CORIA01
May 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Yes Like Her Game And Her Fighting Spiritbut Her On Court Behavior Is Nasty
Must Learn To Be More Humble And Less Arrogant
I Voted Yes

Aravanecaravan
May 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM
i so dont see it like that but ok. everybody grunts. :shrug:

It isn't "grunting" when it happens after the point is over and she's acting like she just won a major. It's obnoxious, demeaning and makes her look like an two year old.

Europe rocks
May 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM
She's got good fighting spirit and has lots of potential, but her attitude is appaling and the 'grunting' is out of hand

Temperenka
May 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Have always wanted to be a fan, but was too annoyed with the scream. She won me over today though. The way she stood up for herself was great when the chair talked to her, she plays amazingly, and she is so spirited. Completely won me over. So, yes to your question. ;)

tea
May 29th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I appreciate those who are voting 'No', but it's not gonna be the result I'm waiting for.:speakles:

Brena
May 29th, 2009, 09:28 PM
She sounds fun. :)

OsloErik
May 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I like her just fine, but I do think she's gotten a lot of VERY premature "future slam winner" talk for someone that short. At least Henin had a technically sound serve to compensate for her height, but MLdB has an extremely poor serve. At least from the three matches I've seen, that is. I don't know how she is going to progress at 5'5'' without a better serve or more consistent ground game.

djul14
May 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
No !

ChriS.
May 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
She sounds fun. :)On the contrary, she sounds like a strangled cat.

charmedRic
May 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
watching her matches make my ears bleed.

Nederlander RUS
May 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I have been a fan of her, am and always will be )))

oleada
May 29th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Hell no. I don't dislike grunters - hell, Vika's one of my faves - but her grunt is so unbelievably annoying that I cannot focus on the tennis. It's so high pitched; I don't know how her opponents stand it. The fact that she still screaming when her opponent is about to hit the ball is downright wrong - and sets her apart from other grunters like Maria and the Williams sisters. It's cheating, IMO.

youizahoe
May 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm starting to like her because yall are against her. Face it, tennis without loud grunts would be boring. The sound brings so much drama and extra intesity to it.

If I put Rafa vs Roger with mute on, I fall asleep.

HRHoliviasmith
May 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM
totally indifferent.

hate her yelp though.

danieln1
May 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I love her screams and shrieks, it makes it fun to watch, i´m fearing for this girl throat/laringys, her vocal cords must be very, very strong! :haha: :haha:

But she plays really well, and is a fighter, and speaks my language, so I do like her and I think we´ll hear a lot more from her

nashi
May 30th, 2009, 02:18 AM
No NO No
I hate Sharapova learner

simonsaystennis
May 30th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Yes. I wouldn't consider myself a fan, but I tend to be impressed by the young talented players. I find the grunting/yelping a bit over the top but I am not bothered by it.

woosey
May 30th, 2009, 02:28 AM
the more people are petty towards her and hate on her, the more i like her.:hearts:

brayster87
May 30th, 2009, 02:31 AM
she would be an excellent player if it wasn't for the constant screaming

She if you like her after watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVfCcBzMeA0

This is not what I call tennis

woosey
May 30th, 2009, 02:37 AM

She if you like her after watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVfCcBzMeA0

the absence or muffling of screams does not make someone an excellent tennis player. winning does.

delicatecutter
May 30th, 2009, 02:38 AM
No. She doesn't need to scream like she's being massacred. (Even though I won't lie, it seriously makes me :lol:)

drake3781
May 30th, 2009, 02:44 AM
First of all, I'm very surprised at the results of this poll - basically even right now. :shrug: I was under the impression that many more of us find her awful.

Today was the first day I've seen her. I've heard about her shrieking, and I'm a known anti-shrieking advocate here. But it was not just the shrieking that got me. Her attitude, conduct, and bad energy stunned me. Immediately. :eek:

Dawn Marie
May 30th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I like her. She is a young talent. She has a nice groundstrokes and come off as fearless. She's still young so the brattiness is to be expected.
She'll mature into a young lady as the years go by and win slams. Then she'll retire and will be misses.

In tennis time it so short, and I enjoy seeing the young fearless girls playing tennis and then maturing into champs. She has personality.

GO MICHELLE. She also has a great spelling name. WTA needs this kind of player.

Mr.Kardashian
May 30th, 2009, 03:44 AM
no...

wow im surprised so many people like her :S

Josh.
May 30th, 2009, 03:50 AM
No, no no, no no. :sobbing:

barboza
May 30th, 2009, 03:52 AM
She must stop screaming like a vulture.

Serenita
May 30th, 2009, 03:54 AM
yes i do!!

tea
May 30th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Um, almost an equal percentage as for now. I thought the haters should prevail:scratch:

drake3781
May 30th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Um, almost an equal percentage as for now. I thought the haters should prevail:scratch:

I think all the ones who like her have come and voted already ;) , so we should see the skew begin about this time forward.

OsloErik
May 30th, 2009, 06:18 AM
But it was not just the shrieking that got me. Her attitude, conduct, and bad energy stunned me. Immediately. :eek:

Exactly the reason I'm not convinced. She's Vaidisova without a serve, only louder and MORE negative.

VIKA?
May 30th, 2009, 06:32 AM
yes:inlove:

améliemomo
May 30th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Couldn´t say it any better. The girl has such an annoying attitude, and somebody needs to shut her up fast. Definetly won´t be a fan of her.

+100000 like the decibels of her shrieks and her attitude

pav
May 30th, 2009, 09:11 AM
A bit off the topic,but how about Garbins strange grunting? not every shot but every so often a horrible sound comes out!

serenus_2k8
May 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I like her off court, just on court I cant watch that sh*t.

LCS
May 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM

I can't tell which on is Michelle and which is Maria :)

Cp6uja
May 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm always very shocked how people here judging about WTA teens even more strictly than to older ones players - so what if some of they have some very good results during early ages (for example Hingis, Kournikova, Sharapova, Vaidisova...)? What is strange if 15-16 year old girl sometimes acting like 15-16 years old girl :confused:

Even if that teen doing something really wrong (like Karantantcheva for example), she should to have some credit because her young ages...

Is I'm only one here who for example missing "Devilsova" teenage "bad attitude" on court when is so obvious that she is very ambitious and really care about her results... unlike now.

So give NFL MLB some credit, especially till her teenage years. Loud screaming is more connected with game style and how players learn to play in early ages (BTW almost all "Loud Girls" is from Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy)... is anybody serious can say that Seles or Venus or Dementieva for example is not good sportsmanship players just because loud screaming!? And of course... nothing wrong in fist pumping :devil: (except if You are not Ana:angel: or Rafa hater)

tea
May 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Isn't actual today, but I must to sum up the poll results. So it is 67/91. Not a bad stats for such a hated girl. I mean '67' isn't bad, but '91' count isn't enough, should have been more.
The next tourney when she'll annoy you will be Wimbledon, be ready:hearts:

AnnaK_4ever
May 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Isn't actual today, but I must to sum up the poll results. So it is 67/91. Not a bad stats for such a hated girl. I mean '67' isn't bad, but '91' count isn't enough, should have been more.
The next tourney when she'll annoy you will be Wimbledon, be ready:hearts:

Hopefully, she'll get banned at SW19 :hearts:

KournikovaFan91
May 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm always very shocked how people here judging about WTA teens even more strictly than to older ones players - so what if some of they have some very good results during early ages (for example Hingis, Kournikova, Sharapova, Vaidisova...)? What is strange if 15-16 year old girl sometimes acting like 15-16 years old girl :confused:

Even if that teen doing something really wrong (like Karantantcheva for example), she should to have some credit because her young ages...

Is I'm only one here who for example missing "Devilsova" teenage "bad attitude" on court when is so obvious that she is very ambitious and really care about her results... unlike now.

So give NFL MLB some credit, especially till her teenage years. Loud screaming is more connected with game style and how players learn to play in early ages (BTW almost all "Loud Girls" is from Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy)... is anybody serious can say that Seles or Venus or Dementieva for example is not good sportsmanship players just because loud screaming!? And of course... nothing wrong in fist pumping :devil: (except if You are not Ana:angel: or Rafa hater)

MLDB's attitude is terrible compared with Kournikova, Sharapova and Vaidisova at the same age.

Her grunt is so fake its unbelievable, I reckon more players may also start challenging MLDB after Rezai.

Also Rezai always looked like she was going to win so its not like she only mentioned when she was losing.

Aravanecaravan
May 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, Rezai was never down in that match. IMDB whined like Rezai was complaining when she was serving for the set or the match. She never sniffed the possibility of winning a set. Aravane put her on notice in the middle of set 1, on serve, that her behavior was unacceptable.

After seeing de Brito stick her tongue out again, you have to wonder if that girl is mentally challenged. Seriously, sixteen year olds don't do that. She asked the ump, "Would you tell Sharapova to shut up?" I'd like to ask her what match of Sharapova's she picked up the sticking out the tongue habit from.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 30th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I like her, but i definitely agree that her screams should be toned down a bit :lol::p

starin
May 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM
i love it when players use their shreaking cheats to win
so yes I like Burrito!!

-jenks-
May 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM
The poll is pretty close! :eek:

Crater718
May 31st, 2009, 12:35 AM
I can't help but laugh every time Michelle hits a ball :lol:. It's just hysterical how long and high pitched her scream is :lol:. So for this poll, I can't make up my mind if I like her or not because I'm too busy laughing at every shot.

Mind you, I've only watched snippets of her matches on youtube and not watched a complete match of hers.

Amukinado
May 31st, 2009, 01:12 AM
Of course I like her. And I love that she has that much haters... I'm hoping there will be much more when she starts having really good results. Being beaten by Rezai it's not exactly something to be proud of, no matter your age. But she'll grow and stop losing to nobodys...

timafi
May 31st, 2009, 06:02 PM
she plays well but the yelling is just:help:

Crater718
May 31st, 2009, 06:03 PM
Would anybody be up for a match between Michelle Larcher de Brito vs Maria Sharapova?

timafi
May 31st, 2009, 06:05 PM
Would anybody be up for a match between Michelle Larcher de Brito vs Maria Sharapova?

earplugs must be available at Wimbledon for purchase just in case these 2 meet:help::help::help:

god help us if she meets Schiavone:tape::lol:

HybridTheory
May 31st, 2009, 06:06 PM
She seems to be a nice girl in interviews, but her attitude and grunting on the court are just too much. There should be a rule for this. It's crazy, the noise she makes.

Marcelo.
May 31st, 2009, 06:25 PM
82 :eek: :eek:

Volcana
May 31st, 2009, 08:55 PM
I couldn't pick her out of a police line-up. Call me when she wins a Premier 2.0.

auntie janie
May 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM
I couldn't pick her out of a police line-up. Call me when she wins a Premier 2.0.

If it were an audio rather than a visual line-up, trust me: you could pick her out in a second. ;)

Andrew Laeddis
May 31st, 2009, 10:41 PM
Love her

youizahoe
May 31st, 2009, 11:17 PM

she sounds like a little terrier :sobbing:

jebero88
Jun 1st, 2009, 11:26 AM
poor hype

_No20_
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah, Rezai was never down in that match. IMDB whined like Rezai was complaining when she was serving for the set or the match. She never sniffed the possibility of winning a set. Aravane put her on notice in the middle of set 1, on serve, that her behavior was unacceptable.

After seeing de Brito stick her tongue out again, you have to wonder if that girl is mentally challenged. Seriously, sixteen year olds don't do that. She asked the ump, "Would you tell Sharapova to shut up?" I'd like to ask her what match of Sharapova's she picked up the sticking out the tongue habit from.

LOOL O'RLY? Michelle get's baggeled all the time, Michelle could've turn that easily, but she is a 16yo, we have to face it, the crowd turned against her, because of Rezai's whining about a 16 year old girl.

DD8
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Its unbelieveble the impact of a 16 years old girl in the tennis funs. But more strange than the impact she mades its the haters she allready has, and just because ONE match against a frensh player in shes own tournament. I saw ALL match and if someone has bad intentions and tryed to confound the opponent was no doubt Rezai, she starte d complaining early in the game not just because Michelles grunts but all doubtful balls with the chair. She is not the example of fair play, her tactic passed clearly to press Michelle from the begginig and she won because of that (and the serve of Michelle of courese:( ). Michelle is better than Rezai allready she just needs to improve her service to become a top 10 player.
Obviously i love her. Shes a great player and a GREAT KID!!!
Dont judge the girl because one match and being so pressed...

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
like her game, dont like all the noises so no

Marty-Dom
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hell NO!
Michelle Screacher Despico is bad for tennis.