PDA

View Full Version : Game, Set and John

Dodoboy.
May 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM
John McEnroe is such a good tennis commentator! I was literally hooked on his comments there - kick Mats out and give us John! He seems like he could talk about tennis for hours :inlove:
A lot of fun listening to his insight!

volta
May 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
OY i missed it :o

he is better than mat wilander ? mat is ok i guess

Dave.
May 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I love listening to him most of the time. He is a great personality and clearly loves the sport and knows what he's talking about. However, for some women's matches it can be painfully obvious that he does not follow the tour regularly, which I hate. Most of the time though he's fine. Probably one of my favourite male commentators.

supergrunt
May 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM
He is good and is surprisingly not sexist.

spriwi
May 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM
john def mats 6-2 6-0 just like dianra thumped nastya today, even though nastya wasnt even playing bad. different class.

Dodoboy.
May 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Well talking about the WS, espiecally Venus he is amazing to listen to. But he doesn't hide the fact that he prefers the men's tour :lol:

jefrilibra
May 29th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I love my Mac. The best male commentator in the business imo. He tells you like it is and more often than not, he's right. Plus he's hilarious too but he doesnt overdo it.

Cant wait for Wimby where he'll be commentating for the BBC.

M-K
May 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I haven't heard him commentate yet.. :( Hopefully I will get to soon. I can imagine him to be really good.

Mats is just..Blaaaah! I'm so bored of him and I hate his accent!!

The Witch-king
May 29th, 2009, 10:57 PM
He used to be really bad but he's really good nowadays. Really charming and funny.

starin
May 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I like him because he's fair and mostly he sticks up for the WS when the other commentators criticize them.
He's very fair to all the players and even though he doesn't follow the women's tour that closely and he doesn't let his preference for men's tennis impact his commentary on the women too much. I would enjoy Navratilova a lot more if she didn't let her bias affect her commentary so much at times. Her and John McEnroe would make a great commentary team.

darrinbaker00
May 29th, 2009, 11:06 PM
You know what I like about John McEnroe as a commentator? His brutal honesty. When he's never seen someone play before, he'll say, "I've never seen this person play before." He doesn't try to pretend as if he knows everything about the player based on their tour bio. Also, while he will sometimes say, "I would have done it this way," he doesn't compare other players to himself unless he's asked to, unlike a certain lefty female Czech expatriate.

darrinbaker00
May 29th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I like him because he's fair and mostly he sticks up for the WS when the other commentators criticize them.
He's very fair to all the players and even though he doesn't follow the women's tour that closely and he doesn't let his preference for men's tennis impact his commentary on the women too much. I would enjoy Navratilova a lot more if she didn't let her bias affect her commentary so much at times. Her and John McEnroe would make a great commentary team.
Those two should ask for a wild card into the Wimbledon mixed draw. Even at the combined age of 102, I think they could win a match (unless they drew Cara Black and Bob Bryan, of course).

Optima
May 29th, 2009, 11:23 PM
He said Jelena was the best mover he's ever seen on a tennis court :inlove:

schorsch
May 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Fire Mats, hire John :) Oh and fire Anabel as well. Hire anyone actually. Just fire Mats and Anabel :wavey:

partbrit
May 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I like him okay when he talks about women's tennis, but when he talks about ATP tennis, he changes into another person--a very insecure, fake testosterone-filled idiot.

drake3781
May 30th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I like him, have heard him for many years on the US-televised matches which are only Wimbledon and US Open Final and maybe semifinal. Usually with Mary Carillo for the women's matches.

But I have a complaint - the other commentators seem to always over-refer to him and his history and personality and whatever he is doing currently, always joking, but they bring "him" up so much as chatter during the match we are watching. It seems like not his "fault" but he must encourage the will for others to be constantly sucking up to him on national TV. I guess it's part of his charm/charisma, but it becomes annoying.

delicatecutter
May 30th, 2009, 02:43 AM
He is my fave commentator for sure. :hearts: