PDA

View Full Version : In Fairness to Safina...

Steffica Greles
May 29th, 2009, 06:21 PM
The girl is rising to the challenge of justifying her number one status.

She's scything through some decent players.:worship:

Okay, it's still relatively early in the tournament and if she loses before at least the semi-finals, then what I'm saying is out of the window. But nevertheless, what she's doing is not easy, and she's competing with ferocious determination. I remember when she won the Brisbane 2007 title against Hingis, Martina remarked on her fighting qualities and potential to go a long way. Now, finally, I see what Hingis was talking about.

She's not the most talented number one ever. But then, nor was Jankovic. We know that the standard of women's tennis has fallen, and average players of yesteryear only have to make small improvements and suddenly they're number one. Who would have predicted this time three years ago that Jankovic would have long since been number one, and Safina would ascend too. We'd have picked a host of other players.

But thus far Safina has done the best that she can do, and she must be saluted for that.

Svetlana.
May 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
we are saluting her for some time now... you are a little too late, but better later than never

shell
May 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Agreed. I like the fighting spirit from her. Just would like to see the final results. It would do the WTA a world of good.

Polikarpov
May 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
She's really in scary form right now.

tennnisfannn
May 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM
It is only a matter of time. Unfortunately for safina shegot to no. 1 after a string of terrible losses, she only started making noise after she made no.1. That and the fact that regradless of what serena has done poorly in the last 52 weeks she has 2 slams and another final, hard to argue against that,

InsideOut.
May 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Agreed. I no longer dislike her as much as I did a few months ago. She really deserves a lot of respect for what she's been able to achieve and the level she consistently reaches.

iPatty
May 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Agreed. I no longer dislike her as much as I did a few months ago. She really deserves a lot of respect for what she's been able to achieve and the level she consistently reaches.

:worship: :worship:

I wish I could good rep you.

wales1994
May 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Keep going Safina she's grown on me! To only lose 4 games to make the 4th round just deserves :eek: x100! She deserves it though from all her effort so hers hoping she can make it one better than last year :drool:!

Ryan
May 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM
The biggest thing I admire about Safina is how she IMO, treats every match like its the most important one she'll ever play. She is so committed and focused all the time, which has got to be mentally taxing and physically draining.

The hardest thing to do right now in women's tennis is be consistent, yet Safina has managed to do that very well. :worship:

bobbynorwich
May 30th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Keep going Safina she's grown on me! To only lose 4 games to make the 4th round just deserves :eek: x100! She deserves it though from all her effort so hers hoping she can make it one better than last year :drool:!

Yep, 17-1 this year on clay.