PDA

View Full Version : Who is the smartest, most articulate #1 player of all times ?

LightWarrior
May 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I would say Evert, Navratilova, Austin. Venus is very articulate, Serena not as much but she's full of irony. Seles lacks vocabulary. The worst is Graf, totally politically correct with absolutely no interest for the sport she used to play.

Lin Lin
May 29th, 2009, 02:36 AM
:spit:Serena

Tennisstar86
May 29th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Venus

Serena is very witty though...

Navratilova I think not.... maybe if she said half the stuff that comes out of her mouth these days in her head before she spoke and stop contradicting herself she could be in the conversation

Zauber
May 29th, 2009, 02:43 AM
what language?
should be other than english right?

Junex
May 29th, 2009, 02:44 AM
(for the OP)

You mean because most of the press you read are in english and half the World #1's are not native english speakers.....

Yeah Right, its quite fair to assume your smart and articulate if you can express yourself well in english....... :rolleyes:

-jenks-
May 29th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I'd say Davenport

faboozadoo15
May 29th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Seles lacks vocabulary? In her third language?

And what does Steffi's interest have to do with "smartness" or articulation?

To be honest, I've never been blown away by anything Chris Evert has ever said. She's also seemed to put her foot in her mouth a great deal of the time. She and Austin come across as soccer mom-esque women who are lucky to have jobs where they get to talk all day.

Navratilova is a truly intelligent person: perceptive, sarcastic, informed, humorous, etc. Even she has her off days, passion blinds her at times. BJK is quite similar, and she's also a good businesswoman.

Venus also fits the bill of a highly intelligent person: she's patient, brooding, has a nice vocabulary, and is usually well-informed. She doesn't speak unnecessarily.

Lindsay shouldn't be ignored either.

Jennerena? ;)

barboza
May 29th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Lindsay hands down of course..

homogenius
May 29th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Amelie, Lindsay and Venus (lol @ Austin)

QUEENLINDSAY
May 29th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Lindsay, Venus and Navratilova for me.

southern star
May 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Goolagong...

NoChokes
May 29th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Anne K gets bagelled against Safina, but she bagels Venus when it comes to intelligence.

Venus just looks bright compared to her sister. (and to the other planets on a spring morning)

Not saying Anne is the most intelligent player ever, but Venus? Come on.

HRHoliviasmith
May 29th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Lindsay

starin
May 29th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Capriati :inlove:
I loved when she told babies to shut up:hearts:

austennis
May 29th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Venus , Martina Hingis..
i think it depends on what their first languages are but both these women are multi-lingual and well educated and opinionated

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
May 29th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I feel that Arthur Ashe was the most thoughtful and articulate player ever, but below are a few of my impressions of the ladies.

Evert started out shy, but improved greatly over the years, and I thought represented the women's game well in her time.

Billie Jean was opinionated and forceful -- but sometimes she sounded like she had marbles in her mouth.

Evonne was a sweet girl, but simple. She never impressed me as being articulate or overly thoughtful. But nice all the same.

Madge Court -- only really paid attention to her speaking lately -- I don't agree with her politics, and the clips of her sermons put me to sleep.

One doesn't have to agree with her views, but Martina Navratilova articulates her opinions quite well.

Lindsay is thoughtful and well spoken.

Venus is pretty good.

I didn't like that dumb grin Hingis often had when she spoke. That in and of itself made me take her less seriously.

Lately, Monica Seles has been very authentic to me, and I give her big kudos for that.

Graf -- I adore her, but communication is not her forte. Although again, maybe she's better in German (plus she does possess a wicked wit at times).

As for Serena -- I love her, but she does seem to be misunderstood a lot of the time.

Tracy Austin -- I've heard her speak, but she left no impression.

JCap -- she is many things, but articulate ain't one of them.

Henin, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina, Mauresmo -- I can't form a fair opinion as I bet each is better in her native tongue than my native tongue.

Lindsayfan32
May 29th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Lindsay hands down of the modern number 1's. Lindsay was well spoken and not scared to talk about issues off the court either. People have thrown Jennifer name up as much as I loved watching her play and was glad to see her get the number 1 ranking being articulate and well spoken weren't one of her strongest assets :)

mandy7
May 29th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Hingis.

Steff_forever
May 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM
...The worst is Graf, totally politically correct with absolutely no interest for the sport she used to play.
:haha:

lapse of the issue & totally ignorent :yeah:
I guess your 1st intention in making this thread is to get Steffi down :kiss:

back to your 2nd issue:
I'd say Lindsay Davenport...

southern star
May 29th, 2009, 07:54 AM
"Evonne was a sweet girl, but simple. She never impressed me as being articulate or overly thoughtful. But nice all the same.
"

Yes, my suggestion of Goolagong was tongue in cheek.