PDA

View Full Version : Remember when all quarters were played on Lenglen ?

LightWarrior
May 29th, 2009, 02:14 AM
People keep talking of bad scheduling, racism, whatever...but I think this was the worst of all. Only 2 men's quarters on Chatrier and all 4 women's quarters on Lenglen. Officials at the time justified it because it was Lenglen, the most sucessful French player ever, like an honour for women's tennis. Nowadays 2 women's quarters are played on Chatrier (and 2 men's quarter's on Lenglen), which is fair and what is being done in other GS. Did the wta push it for it to be changed ?

Hingiswinsthis
May 29th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I remember this too. I coudn't believe that Seles-Pierce 2000 QF gem of a match was not on the biggest court. Does anybody know the years they had all Quarters on Lenglen and when did they get their act together to change that?

Dave.
May 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Perhaps it was unfair, but wow that must have been one of the most valuable tickets to have for women's tennis fans. :drool:

mr_burns
May 29th, 2009, 03:24 AM
really unbelievable...even in wimbledon the women get an equal treatment from the QF on...(don't wanna talk about the first rounds...)

Sam L
May 29th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Yes I remember how sexist it was.

mckyle.
May 29th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I could understand. The best women playing on a court named after one of the most famous women in tennis. I think the final used to be played there, too? Maybe I just made that up :lol: It's very fitting. It's not always the number of seats in a stadium that shows the significance :)

Sam L
May 29th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I could understand. The best women playing on a court named after one of the most famous women in tennis. I think the final used to be played there, too? Maybe I just made that up :lol: It's very fitting. It's not always the number of seats in a stadium that shows the significance :)
No the final was never played there.

Mateo Mathieu
May 29th, 2009, 05:17 AM
The players don't care which court they're playing on as long as they're just there to play tennis.