[12] POL Radwanska

[--] ESP Dominguez Lino
[24] CAN Wozniak
[--] ESP Martinez Sanchez
[02] USA Serena

3r - Lesser Bondarenko vs Greater Radwanska
3r - Venus beat Szavay @ Acapulco this year

4r - Azarenka vs Ivanovic
4r - Jankovic vs Wozniacki. Greater Woz in 3.
4r - Venus on red clay > Cibulkova or Dulko

QF - Serena vs Kuzzy. Match of the tournament?
QF - Sharapova easily. Only seed left her 8th Na Li.

SF - Safina, Serena/Kuzzy winner, 2 sacrificial lambs

FR - Safina vs Serena. Because drama demands it.

hingisGOAT
May 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I would love Dulko to win the whole thing (lols I know), but looking at that quadrant, I think Na Li has a very favorable chance to make the semifinals :eek:

And I really doubt Serena could make it past either Kuznetsova or Jankovic on clay.

:inlove:
May 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Surprise QF: Shvedova def Cibulkova, and Serena manages to beat Kuznetsova.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I think Sharapova will come through in the top half.

charmedRic
May 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM
hmm. I wouldn't rule out Venus until it's semifinal talk.

DownTheLine21
May 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I see the 3R leaving us with:

[01] RUS Safina
[--] FRA Rezai

[22] ESP Suarez Navarro
[08] SRB Ivanovic

----

[03] USA Venus
[20] SVK Cibulkova

[--] RUS Sharapova
[25] CHN Na Li

----

[05] SRB Jankovic
[10] DEN Wozniacki

[--] FRA Razzano
[04] RUS Dementieva

----

[07] RUS Kuznetsova
[12] POL Radwanska

[--] ESP Dominguez Lino
[02] USA Serena

DragonFlame
May 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
My looked at quarterfinals:

safina(1) vs. ivanovic(8) (azarenka won't beat ana)
szavay(29) vs na li(25) (surprises here)

serena(2) vs. kuzzie(6) (no idea who'll win this)
Elena(4) vs. Jelena(5) (don't think wozniacki will go through jelena)

Semifinals:

safina def. szavay

x vs. x (it's a tossup between all 4 who'll reach the semi's and final in the bottem half)

Final:

safina vs. x Will safina finally have calmed her nerves in a slamfinal? And who'll she have to beat? I think she would beat kuznetsova and jelena for sure. Serena and elena i'm doubting because of the big finals that she faced those in and the confidence they might have to win this if they get to the final.

propi
May 28th, 2009, 10:16 PM
This one
[09] BLR Azarenka
[22] ESP Suarez Navarro
[32] CZE Benesova
[08] SRB Ivanovic

And to a lesser extend this

[03] USA Venus
[29] HUN Szavay
[20] SVK Cibulkova
[--] ARG Dulko

Are just brutal, any of the players on them could do extremely well and further with another draw :o

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
And I really doubt Serena could make it past either Kuznetsova or Jankovic on clay.http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/THHGTTG/THHGTTGradio10.htm
ARTHUR DENT: But - It looks like… like… just like a plastic cup! Hanging in the sky. It’s…It’s about a mile long.

BIRD ONE: Looks like plastic. Carved from solid marble there.

ARTHUR DENT: But the weight of it! What’s supporting it?! What keeps it there?!

BIRD ONE: Art.

If the only thing between a Serena-Safina slam final re-match is Kuzzy, she's toast. Art rules. Also the H2H is 5-1 Serena.

As for JJ, she hasn't beaten a top ten player this year.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 28th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Venus has an open draw to the semis. I wouldnt be surprised if she has to play another 3 setter though

AnnaK_4ever
May 28th, 2009, 10:24 PM
4R :

Safina v Rezai
Azarenka v Ivanovic
Venus v Dulko
Sharapova v Li

Jankovic v Wozniacki
Garbin v Dementieva
Kuznetsova v Radwanska
Dominguez Lino v Serena

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Venus SHOULD make it to face Safina in the SF which should be another great match on clay.

If Sharapova makes it to the final, ill throw my TV out of the window.

I doubt Venus can make it past Safina if she gets that far tho...and Serena isnt making the final.

frenchie
May 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM
OMG when I think either Sharapova or Li will reach RG QF.....

I want to puke

DragonFlame
May 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Venus has an open draw to the semis. I wouldnt be surprised if she has to play another 3 setter though

Open draw? She has the most dangerous third rounder. To be honest, i'd be surprised and impressed by her if she got to the semi's.

DragonFlame
May 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Sharapova has been to the quarters of RG 3 times already, not a surprise to me. She's not a complete cow on ice anymore for sure.

Li is pretty intriguing. She does well on all surfaces and can take out topplayers out of nowhere. She's slowly working herself back to the top20, and she'll be close if she gets to the quarters. And we all know Na Li deserves to be a top20 player. When she was healthy she has been taking out so many topplayers.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Venus SHOULD make it to face Safina in the SF which should be another great match on clay.

Why is that?

...and Serena isnt making the final.

Kuznetsova will be a tough test (if the both get there), but if she passes that, you have to almost write her in.

G1Player2
May 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Why is that?

Kuznetsova will be a tough test (if the both get there), but if she passes that, you have to almost write her in.

Kuznetsova is the favorite going into that match considering she has had way more claycourt matchplay. But, you never know. Hopefully Serena's serve is on should she make it.

Noctis
May 28th, 2009, 11:36 PM

I want to puke

Myskina Is Preganant congrats.Cheers up by seeing one of this two great players making QF:nerner:

Ryan
May 28th, 2009, 11:48 PM
The one thing I've learned about the French Open...is that it seems to be more unpredictable than any of the other slams. I wouldn't be surprised at anything that ends up happening, unless its like Garbin or Domingues Lino winning the whole thing. ;)

charmedRic
May 28th, 2009, 11:50 PM
The fourth round should look something like this:

[01] RUS Safina vs [--] POR Larcher De Brito ((Could Safine choke tho?))
[09] BLR Azarenka vs [32] CZE Benesova ((Iveta has game, Ana isn't 100% healthy))

----

[03] USA Venus vs. [--] ARG Dulko ((Venus finally playing 2 set matches))
[--] KAZ Shvedova vs. [25] CHN Na Li ((At which point my money is one Yaro))

----

[05] SRB Jankovic vs. [10] DEN Wozniacki ((Mentally the dubs partnership helped Caro))
[--] FRA Razzano vs. [04] RUS Dementieva ((Gotta love Virginie's chances here))

----

[07] RUS Kuznetsova vs. [12] POL Radwanska ((Although unlikely, an upset here would be sorta fitting))
[--] ESP Dominguez Lino vs. [02] USA Serena ((Another Spanish opponent for Miss Serena))

AcesHigh
May 29th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Why is that?

Sharapova is a great player but she's just returning from almost a year away and this is clay. Even at her best, her game isnt great on the surface. If she makes the final I think that says more about the field and about women's tennis rather than Sharapova's game and level.

Maybe. I dont know. Thinking about it, I can see Serena winning on sheer grit and determination. It will be very very hard though. A rematch with Safina wont be as easy.

Dawson.
May 29th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I have a good feeling about Li reaching the semis. I think people are writing her off too soon and just expecting Sharapova to come through. I actually think Yari will surprise Maria tomorrow, I hope I'm wrong, but it's just my gut feeling.

Benesova is a head case, and no matter how bad Ana plays tomorrow, she'll find a way through.

Sam Smith was hyping Safina/Pavlyuchenkova today, saying it could be a great match. I love Sam Smith, but get real woman, Safina in another beatdown unfortunately.

I see Carla beating Vika in 3 tight sets, then going on to beat Ana.

Kuzzy and Serena should have no major problems reaching the quarters. It's a shame they have to face so early, could be the match of the tournament :( with Kuzzy hopefully coming through ;)

Very interesting draw though, definitely one of the most intriguing GS draws in ages.

Aaron.
May 29th, 2009, 01:52 AM
my Dream QFs..

Safina-Ivanovic
Venus-Sharapova
Jankvoic-Dementieva
Serena-Kuznetsova

:drool:

southern star
May 29th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I guess the likely winners from round 3 are pretty easy to pick, except for Razzano v Garbin and Rezai v MLdB, but I will tip the French in both of those cases.

Safina def Pav
Rezai def MLDB ?
Azarenka def CSN
Ivanovic def Benny
--
Venus def Szavay
Cibulkova def Dulko
Sharapova def Shvedova
Na def Govortsova
--
Jankovic def Groth
Wozniacki def Cirstea
Razzano def Garbin ?
Dem def Sam
--
Kuznetsova def Czink
A Rad def K Bon
Wozniak def LDL
Serena def MJMS

Round 4 has more matches that are hard to pick, e.g. Ivanovic v Azarenka, Sharapova v Na, Jankovic v Wozniacki

Safina def Rezai
Ivanovic def Azarenka ?
Venus def Cibulkova
Sharapova def Na ?
Jankovic def Wozniacki ?
Dem def Razzano
Kuz def A Rad
Serena def Wozniak

Quarterfinals:

Safina def Ivanovic
Venus def Sharapova ?
Jankovic def Dementieva ?
Kuznetsova def Serena ?

Semifinals:

Safina def Venus
Kuznetsova def Jankovic

Final:

Safina def Kuznetsova

Ryan
May 29th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I think a potential upset (provided both get there) could be Razzano over Dementieva. Virginie can play scary good sometimes, and where better than here? Plus Elena's been less than convincing. I just see it happening.

mr_burns
May 29th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Really great matches on the plate

razzano dementieva
JJ wozniaki

both could go either way

Cp6uja
May 29th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Since Australian Open switch they surface to Hard Courts in 1988 only once it happen (1994 ASV/Graf) that in Paris final we have Melbourne final rematch in womens singles and it never happen in ATP! It will finally happen MAYBE this season (Nadal/Federer or MAYBE Safina/Serena), but count like "sure bet" Safina/Serena final from this thread-starter is simple not serious.

I don't remember that Serena has some really big victory in France last 5 seasons so in potential QF/SF against elite claycourters like Kuznetsova and Jankovic she is not so clean favorite (if she is favorite at all).

On other hand Safina well deserved her status of #1 favorite to win this tournament, but last season she has also dominant WTA red clay season without losing any match at red clay before final vs Ivanovic (she beat Henin, Serena, Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Dementieva twice...) - but still lose vs Ana in straight. Despite all her problems with form this season and with knee this month, Ana Ivanovic is still player to beat on clay for Dinara more than any other. And she will meet her already in QF (but I see that all other posters her simple ignoring eventual RG/08 final rematch here :confused:).

Volcana
May 29th, 2009, 03:40 AM
R32 Venus should beat Szavay, but if you watched her match vs Safarova, she's having trouble moving on this surface. (Relatively speaking) She was playing a LOT of purely defensive shots.

R16 Venus and Domi Cibulkova have played once. Cibulkova won.

QTR - Venus should beat Maria Sharapova or Na Li on this surface.

SMI - I don't see how she beats Safina here. There's a reason her parents named her after money, and it's beginning to show.

Volcana
May 29th, 2009, 03:49 AM
my Dream QFs..

Safina-Ivanovic
Venus-Sharapova
Jankvoic-Dementieva
Serena-Kuznetsova

:drool:If that's the QFs, there will be spontaneous orgasms all over the WTA board room.

Lin Lin
May 29th, 2009, 03:50 AM
my Dream QFs..

Safina-Ivanovic
Venus-Sharapova
Jankvoic-Dementieva
Serena-Kuznetsova

:drool:

I greatly second this:D

The Kaz
May 29th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I greatly second this:D

I don't. Its always snore time when there are no surprises in slams :zzz:

Cp6uja
May 29th, 2009, 04:20 AM
On this board exist Prediction-Game called "Fill In The Draw" and I'm still believe in my picks :rocker2:

R128
. . .

R16
SAFINA, Dinara RUS [1]
IVANOVIC, Ana SRB [8]
WILLIAMS, Venus USA [3]
SHARAPOVA, Maria RUS
JANKOVIC, Jelena SRB [5]
DEMENTIEVA, Elena RUS [4]
KUZNETSOVA, Svetlana RUS [7]
WILLIAMS, Serena USA [2]

QF
IVANOVIC, Ana SRB [8]
WILLIAMS, Venus USA [3]
JANKOVIC, Jelena SRB [5]

SF
IVANOVIC, Ana SRB [8]

Winner
IVANOVIC, Ana SRB [8]

Hardiansf
May 29th, 2009, 04:56 AM
On this board exist Prediction-Game called "Fill In The Draw" and I'm still believe in my picks :rocker2:
Sure you do :angel:
Here's mine:

QF:
Safina vs Suarez Navarro (seems she is always dangerous in a slam)
Venus vs Li (in a clay :eek::worship::bounce:)
Wozniacki vs Razzano
Kuznetsova vs Serena

SF:
Safina vs Venus (will be a great match :worship:)
Razzano (to make French crowd happy) vs Serena

F:
Venus vs Razzano (:lol::p:cool:)

Stamp Paid
May 29th, 2009, 05:14 AM
R32 Venus should beat Szavay, but if you watched her match vs Safarova, she's having trouble moving on this surface. (Relatively speaking) She was playing a LOT of purely defensive shots.

R16 Venus and Domi Cibulkova have played once. Cibulkova won.

QTR - Venus should beat Maria Sharapova or Na Li on this surface.

SMI - I don't see how she beats Safina here. There's a reason her parents named her after money, and it's beginning to show.A Venus/Sharapova matchup on clay (at Roland Garros especially) would not go in Venus' favor. Maria's injury is the only thing that would make that matchup close at this point, Venus cant even beat Maria on a slow hardcourt, much less clay. She has only beaten Maria twice, and both times have been on grass.

ViennaCalling
May 29th, 2009, 07:50 AM
4th Round:

[01] RUS Safina vs. [--] FRA Rezai
[08] SRB Ivanovic vs. [22] ESP Suarez Navarro
----
[03] USA Venus vs. [--] ARG Dulko
[--] RUS Sharapova vs. [25] CHN Na Li
----
[05] SRB Jankovic vs. [10] DEN Wozniacki
[--] FRA Razzano vs. [30] AUS Stosur
----
[07] RUS Kuznetsova vs. [12] POL Radwanska
[24] CAN Wozniak vs. [02] USA Serena

QF:
[01] RUS Safina vs. [08] SRB Ivanovic
[03] USA Venus vs. [25] CHN Na Li
[05] SRB Jankovic vs. [30] AUS Stosur
[12] POL Radwanska vs. [02] USA Serena

SF:
[01] RUS Safina vs. [25] CHN Na Li
[05] SRB Jankovic vs. [02] USA Serena

In The Zone
May 29th, 2009, 07:55 AM

I want to puke

I doubt Venus can make it past Safina if she gets that far tho...and Serena isnt making the final.

Careful, now! All it takes is a stupid Venus to be upset by one of those claycourters and Maria is in the semifinals pretty easily methinks. Beating Safina or Ivanovic is not happening, though.

In The Zone
May 29th, 2009, 07:57 AM
A Venus/Sharapova matchup on clay (at Roland Garros especially) would not go in Venus' favor. Maria's injury is the only thing that would make that matchup close at this point, Venus cant even beat Maria on a slow hardcourt, much less clay. She has only beaten Maria twice, and both times have been on grass.

See, what you leave out about this is that the Williams Sisters have figured Sharapova's game out. Richard has dissected it and solved it. Venus would know to move Sharapova around and keep the balls to her forehand.

Now, I am not saying Venus would win but I would not make the declaration that a clay match would go to Sharapova.

Shvedbarilescu
May 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Agree. That 2nd round always looked like the big potential stumbling block for Venus and now she is past that, semis looks, while not a certainty, a likelihood. Also fully agree on Sharapova, the potential Safina/Venus semi and Serena.

Ryan
May 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Who picked Iveta to beat Ana? :tape:

DownTheLine21
May 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Agree. That 2nd round always looked like the big potential stumbling block for Venus and now she is past that, semis looks, while not a certainty, a likelihood. Also fully agree on Sharapova, the potential Safina/Venus semi and Serena.

Don't rule out Ana. It may seem unlikely at this point, but she's getting better with each round.

DragonFlame
May 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
My looked at quarterfinals:

safina(1) vs. ivanovic(8) (azarenka won't beat ana)
szavay(29) vs na li(25) (surprises here)

serena(2) vs. kuzzie(6) (no idea who'll win this)
Elena(4) vs. Jelena(5) (don't think wozniacki will go through jelena)

Semifinals:

safina def. szavay

x vs. x (it's a tossup between all 4 who'll reach the semi's and final in the bottem half)

Final:

safina vs. x Will safina finally have calmed her nerves in a slamfinal? And who'll she have to beat? I think she would beat kuznetsova and jelena for sure. Serena and elena i'm doubting because of the big finals that she faced those in and the confidence they might have to win this if they get to the final.

I'm still standing with this. And it's gonna be interesting. Safina-Ivanovic will be battle of the titans. I expect Safina to get through but if there's any place ana could find form it's here.
The other half is still too open to make a decision. I could see all 4 of them in the final.

Ballbasher
May 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I expect to see none of my favs in the SFs :( :o
Sveta won't stand the pressure against Serena at all!
Masha has an open draw, but I think she will lose either Li or the winner of Cibulkova/Szavay.

Broken Racquet
May 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I think Kuznetsova-Safina final is most probable.
Who else will go deep in the draw: Wozniacki (SF). Hopefully Cibulkova as well. Razzano may have good run too.

Stamp Paid
May 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
See, what you leave out about this is that the Williams Sisters have figured Sharapova's game out. Richard has dissected it and solved it. Venus would know to move Sharapova around and keep the balls to her forehand.

Now, I am not saying Venus would win but I would not make the declaration that a clay match would go to Sharapova.Well how come Venus hasnt beaten her outside of Wimbledon then?

Serena has figured Sharapova's game out, that added to the fact that Serena hates Maria's soul is why Maria hasnt beaten her in almost 5 years. Venus not so much.