PDA

View Full Version : time for Safina to step up-says Henin

SAEKeithSerena
May 28th, 2009, 07:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-openhenin_pix&prov=reuters&type=lgns

By Julien Pretot
PARIS, May 28 (Reuters) - Seven-times grand slam champion Justine Henin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/4218/;_ylt=AsygJzdtXCweAr4FRL0rBPApv7YF) urged world number one Dinara Safina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/170/;_ylt=AgANLDHRNjMsZUty002bPDIpv7YF) to stamp her mark on the game as women’s tennis desperately needs a leader.
Former world number one Henin, who quit tennis a year ago while ranked number one in the sport, was in Paris on Thursday to attend a ceremony where organisers temporarily named an alley in Roland Garros after her.
“I know some players have been number one without winning a grand slam, which I think is quite sad,” the 26-year-old Belgian told a news conference.
“I think for Safina, it’s maybe the time for her to go to the next step.
“With the respect I have for all these players, it’s true that it’s hard apparently in the women’s game now to really find a boss and someone that is at the top and that wins a lot of tournaments.”

Russian Safina, the hot favourite for the French Open title, is the fifth woman to top the WTA rankings since Henin called it quits in May 2008.
She and Serb Jelena Jankovic (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/404/;_ylt=AiupvuDLDB8ABZkYRgNTs7Ipv7YF) have both occupied Henin’s vacated throne without having won a grand slam.
“I think the tour needs someone, a leader. We don’t have this leader for now but I’m confident that young players are going to come on the tour and push the older ones,” Henin said.
The Belgian said, however, that uncertainty was making women’s tennis all the more interesting.
“It’s a new generation now and what is happening in the women’s game is strange,” she said.
“The fact that you never know what’s going to happen. It’s interesting.”
(Editing by Pritha Sarkar; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

are you kidding me? how disrespectful of Justine. Serena has won the last two slams, been in the final of the last three, if that's not a leader, i don't know what is.

i get what she's saying to a point, but i just think she's not giving credit to where it deserves.:help:

tennisIlove09
May 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Open-Time for Safina to step up, says Henin

By Julien Pretot
PARIS, May 28 (Reuters) - Seven-times grand slam champion Justine Henin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/4218/;_ylt=AiFFH069prALGsJrKn89O3Epv7YF) urged world number one Dinara Safina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/170/;_ylt=Aq.I6r7PHaw3_._DwBapuZ4pv7YF) to stamp her mark on the game as women’s tennis desperately needs a leader.
Former world number one Henin, who quit tennis a year ago while ranked number one in the sport, was in Paris on Thursday to attend a ceremony where organisers temporarily named an alley in Roland Garros after her.
“I know some players have been number one without winning a grand slam, which I think is quite sad,” the 26-year-old Belgian told a news conference.
“With the respect I have for all these players, it’s true that it’s hard apparently in the women’s game now to really find a boss and someone that is at the top and that wins a lot of tournaments.”

Russian Safina, the hot favourite for the French Open title, is the fifth woman to top the WTA rankings since Henin called it quits in May 2008.
She and Serb Jelena Jankovic (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/404/;_ylt=AppOy_2rp8Q8A.sJRrKup.Ypv7YF) have both occupied Henin’s vacated throne without having won a grand slam.
“I think the tour needs someone, a leader. We don’t have this leader for now but I’m confident that young players are going to come on the tour and push the older ones,” Henin said.
The Belgian said, however, that uncertainty was making women’s tennis all the more interesting.
“It’s a new generation now and what is happening in the women’s game is strange,” she said.

serenus_2k8
Why cant Henin just go away :lol: Either play or stop commenting, its easy as that.

That said though, she looked great when she was presented her Alley earlier today ;)

debopero
Justine has a lot of insight into women's tennis for someone who doesn't watch anymore and doesn't care. :( I smell comeback!!

SAEKeithSerena
May 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
It's interesting that Justine has so much insight into women's tennis when she suposedly doesn't watch it and doesn't care! >:( I smell comeback!!

the arrogance never left the woman, even after a year out of tennis.

serenus_2k8
May 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
It's interesting that Justine has so much insight into women's tennis when she suposedly doesn't watch it and doesn't care! >:( I smell comeback!!

Yeh the ''tell you the truth, I hardly watch tennis anymore'' article seems funny considering she is speaking out about the state of the womens game.

Helen Lawson
May 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I assume there's something lost in the translation, like she means new leader, or someone from the young crowd, leader of the pack kind of thing. Like it or not, V and S are "veterans" now and have always sort of done their own thing anyway.

Lucemferre
May 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Translation: Women's tennis sucks. I was the kind of leader I'm talking about and tennis needs me

Justine :help:

sweetpeas
May 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM
It's interesting that Justine has so much insight into women's tennis when she suposedly doesn't watch it and doesn't care! > I smell comeback

So true!You know Justine watching.It's in Justine blood!Relax Justine,have fun.:wavey:Enjoy yourself!:bounce::lol:

ViennaCalling
May 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
:rolleyes:

AnnaK_4ever
May 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I assume there's something lost in the translation, like she means new leader, or someone from the young crowd, leader of the pack kind of thing. Like it or not, V and S are "veterans" now and have always sort of done their own thing anyway.

This is exactly what Justine was talking about. You only need to read the whole interview.

tennisluver99
May 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM
quitter

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I thought she didn't follow tennis anymore.....

Optima
Like ya Justine, but you said you didn't follow tennis anymore. :shrug:

volta
isn't this what the majority of ppl has been saying? so what's the prob with Justine saying it? :rolleyes: :shrug:

hablo
May 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I thought she didn't follow tennis anymore.....

Right. :tape:

So many female tennis players lie about not watching women's tennis. Why do women hate on themselves so much? :o

blamoh
May 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Only if safina wins without using Henin's hand tactics to win her first grandslam.
Let Henin shut up. How many good players she beat in the finals
to win those grandslams that made to be the socalled leader
she claimed to be during that time.

goldenlox
May 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Former players are always talking about the tour. Just a put a microphone near them.
John McEnroe won't shut up and it's been 20 years

Slammer7
May 28th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Right. :tape:

So many female tennis players lie about not watching women's tennis. Why do women hate on themselves so much? :o

So true.

DragonFlame
May 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Justine is right of course. It's time for a younger player like safina, ivanovic or kuzzy to take it to the next step. We need more champions in the woman's game. (i'd like to include dementieva to this as well, even though she's 27 already)

The william sisters have always done their own thing and are getting older. Aside from them and to a lesser extent sharapova there isn't anyone the game can rely on anymore.

Justine was the only one who was racking up titles and slams consistently in the last 5 years, and obviously everyone could see the change when she left sitting well at the top. Justine encourages a change of guard in the game, and for that we need new champions. People who can perform well and consistently at the top at a younger age(below the age of 24)

So far we haven't seen it at all. They pretty much all collapsed when they got close. (jankovic, kuzzy, safina, ivanovic) Hopefully the newer crop: azarenka, lisicki, safarova, szavay, wozniacki, cornet has a big champion in them. And when i'm saying this i mean someone who wins 5+ slams in their career and at least 30+ titles.

Matt01
May 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM
are you kidding me? how disrespectful of Justine. Serena has won the last two slams, been in the final of the last three, if that's not a leader, i don't know what is.

i get what she's saying to a point, but i just think she's not giving credit to where it deserves.:help:

Credit to whom? To Serena? I'm sorry but how much credit does a player deserve who has just lost 4 times in a row? :haha:

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Safina is already stepping it up, I highly doubt she can do even more, she's already at her full potential. In other words it's time that Serena takes it up a notch or 2.

DragonFlame
Let Henin shut up. How many good players she beat in the finals
to win those grandslams that made to be the socalled leader
she claimed to be during that time.

Henin was definetly a leader in the woman's game. It's obvious looking at the level and wins she achieved. Practically she was in the SF's in almost all tournaments she played.

Slammer7
Open-Time for Safina to step up, says Henin

By Julien Pretot
PARIS, May 28 (Reuters) - Seven-times grand slam champion Justine Henin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/4218/;_ylt=AiFFH069prALGsJrKn89O3Epv7YF) urged world number one Dinara Safina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/170/;_ylt=Aq.I6r7PHaw3_._DwBapuZ4pv7YF) to stamp her mark on the game as women’s tennis desperately needs a leader.

She and Serb Jelena Jankovic (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/404/;_ylt=AppOy_2rp8Q8A.sJRrKup.Ypv7YF) have both occupied Henin’s vacated throne without having won a grand slam.

http://media.funlol.com/content/img/oh-snap.gif

LCS
May 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
LOL at the Williams fans getting paranoid because Henin din't mention Serena or Venus :lol:

watchdogfish
May 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Well imo if Justine hadn't retired so suddenly the tour wouldn't be nearly as messy as it is now. If she'd stuck around a bit longer the younger generation would've had more time to establish themselves and to handle the pressure better.

volta
May 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
LOL at the Williams fans getting paranoid because Henin din't mention Serena or Venus :lol:

uh no

Stamp Paid
May 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I thought she didn't follow tennis anymore.....!!!!!

Dodoboy.
May 28th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Luis - 17 slams says bye girl, fly girl :wavey:

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM

Why should we get paranoid? At least the WS are holding 80% of the most important titles. I don't see anyone else doing that atm.

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Btw it's also a good thing, she did it last year with kuznetsova and kuznetsova started choking all year around and it will most likely put even more pressure on safina.

Ju's backhand
May 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Ermm, you don't necessarily have to follow tennis religiously to know who's winning the slams and who isn't. She's basically saying what's been consistently discussed on this forum ever since Jankovic became the number one last year. But of course when it's Henin saying it, it's definitely going to make some people's butts itch.

volta
May 28th, 2009, 08:56 PM
So many Williams fans are replying in this thread. :lol:

and lots of non williams fans are as well ur point is?

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Ermm, you don't necessarily have to follow tennis religiously to know who's winning the slams and who isn't. She's basically saying what's been consistently discussed on this forum ever since Jankovic became the number one last year. But of course when it's Henin saying it, it's definitely going to make some people's butts itch.

She allowed to have her opinion, but she will most likely jinx Safina this way, Kuznetsova had the same problem last year :(

Galsen
May 28th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Credit to whom? To Serena? I'm sorry but how much credit does a player deserve who has just lost 4 times in a row? :haha:

can you just STFU
because she lost 4 time in a row she doesn't deserve credit. you need help , really.

Convoluted
May 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Does this mean she is following tennis again?

Hmmm, thought provoking :D

charmedRic
May 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM
hmmm ... Henin calling out the youngsters for not stepping up to fill the void she left behind.

TennisViewer531
May 29th, 2009, 01:48 AM
“To be honest, I didn’t follow a lot of the tour in the last 12 months. But I know who has been No. 1, and the fact that some players are No. 1 and haven’t won a Grand Slam … I think is quite sad."

Ouch! :tape: :tape:

RenaSlam.
May 29th, 2009, 01:49 AM
:worship:

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 29th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I think she's referring to Dinara and Jelena in a non-direct way.... :tape:

~{X}~
May 29th, 2009, 01:56 AM
:lol: Wow, harsh but so true. :haha:

Dave.
May 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM
She retired holding half the slams, what did she expect? :spit:

hdfb
May 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM
You tell 'em Juju!

homogenius
May 29th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I thought she wasn't even watching tennis anymore so why does she care ? She should focus on her "acting" career in cheap soaps and shut up.

V's a star
:drool::bowdown: I really dont mind Dinara much rite now tho, since Serena excpet for RG didnt win a match for a month and a half

RayB
Referring more so to Jelena, as Safina has reached a couple of Grand Slam finals and went all at the Olympics.

southern star
May 29th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Huh? It's not as though this is a new phenomenon. Mauresmo and Clijsters both reached number 1 before winning a slam.

Temporary0369
May 29th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Seeing as she is so obstinate about never playing tennis again, can she make a pact to stop talking about it too? Jelena and Dinara have several years left in their career and I'm sure both will finish with at least one slam. Most of the tumult at the top of the ranking was her fault anyway. The top 4 were all neck and neck and she held a few thousand points advantage when she retired. Obviously it poses difficulty.

Clijsters and Mauresmo both reached number 1 before winning a slam, not the first and not the last time this sort of thing will happen.

And not to take anything away from her, but although Ana won a slam, I think it is very safe to say that she was by far the weakest number one. Ever. Slams don't make a number one.

duhcity
May 29th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Dude, it's kinda your fault.
You decided to retire and took a crapola of points with you.

Then JJ played solid for it, and now Dinara's playing solid for it.

Temporary0369
May 29th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Seeing as she is so obstinate about never playing tennis again, can she make a pact to stop talking about it too? Jelena and Dinara have several years left in their career and I'm sure both will finish with at least one slam. Most of the tumult at the top of the ranking was her fault anyway. The top 4 were all neck and neck and she held a few thousand points advantage when she retired. Obviously it poses difficulty.

Clijsters and Mauresmo both reached number 1 before winning a slam, not the first and not the last time this sort of thing will happen.

And not to take anything away from her, but although Ana won a slam, I think it is very safe to say that she was by far the weakest number one. Ever. Slams don't make a number one.

I also think it's sad when the number one player in the world gets bageled by two different players in the course of 2 months. Suck on that.

Lucas_Arg
May 29th, 2009, 02:05 AM

But make champions.
The tour has very few champion right now.

southern star
May 29th, 2009, 02:06 AM
"Suck on that."

Hmmm ... tastes bitter!

Tennisstar86
May 29th, 2009, 02:16 AM
yeah, i was really sad to see her hand go up and then she lied about it.... Almost as sad as i was to see her withdraw when she was gettin stomped by amelie.....

Sectumsempra
May 29th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Erm its her fault anyway :shrug:

~{X}~
May 29th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Its her fault she was so good in 2007 that she was dominating everyone? Then she left. Not her fault the rest of the tour sucked ass in 2007 besides Serena in Melbourne and Venus at Wimbledon.

And not her fault that 2008 was completely a mess because no one was dominant enough to take hold of Number 1 after she left.

DownTheLine21
May 29th, 2009, 02:20 AM
LOL. Why is it Justine's fault that Jankovic and Safina haven't been able to win a GS yet?

Renalicious
May 29th, 2009, 02:23 AM
COME BACK JUJU. Pls. :sad:

SAEKeithSerena
May 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Does this mean she is following tennis again?

Hmmm, thought provoking :D

she's clearly an idiot.

danieln1
May 29th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Can´t she just remain with her mouth shut??? I used to bash a lot because the slamless n1 issue, but I got tired from that... Who this woman think she is to say something like that to hard workers Dinara and Jelena???

At least they aren´t cheaters, quitters and don´t retire during slams finals, unlike her, who did everything she could, including foul play and gamesmanship, to win matches... Also, I think those slamless players don´t give a fuck about what this woman has to say... it´s just disgusting

Junex
May 29th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I really don't understand the negativity of WS fans towards Justine... She is out of the game already... she is no longer a threat to stealing from the Serena the title "GOHG"...

She may express her opinion on matters tennis but it is not unsolicited in any way.
She is only echoing the general sentiment (not necessarily the same as mine) of the tennis establishmen of which she is still a part of even if she is retired or not following anymore.

So how can you justify that other than "paranoia"? :rolleyes:

Horizon
May 29th, 2009, 02:41 AM
she's clearly an idiot.
I think she just wanted to give her retirement some justification and credibility by telling everyone, "I'm never coming back," and, "I don't watch tennis anymore," when she really is just as interested as the next person.

She's not really an idiot, she just lied about her involvement. Having said that, I still very much doubt a comeback.

She'd have to contradict all these things she's said and she would never be as good or as dominant as she was in 2007 / when she retired, she has peaked and she wouldn't really acheive much more by coming back now.

WowWow
May 29th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Wimbledon, anyone?!?:angel::tape::lol:

Once Justine, always Justine.:rolleyes:

southern star
May 29th, 2009, 02:46 AM
"LOL. Why is it Justine's fault that Jankovic and Safina haven't been able to win a GS yet?"

Maybe it is Justine's fault that Serena has played so poorly as to lose the Number 1 position.

Junex
May 29th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Can´t she just remain with her mouth shut??? I used to bash a lot because the slamless n1 issue, but I got tired from that... Who this woman think she is to say something like that to hard workers Dinara and Jelena???

At least they aren´t cheaters, quitters and don´t retire during slams finals, unlike her, who did everything she could, including foul play and gamesmanship, to win matches... Also, I think those slamless players don´t give a fuck about what this woman has to say... it´s just disgusting

Hatred over principles.... a very glaring example from you!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Junex
May 29th, 2009, 02:49 AM
If we can have an opinion on the matter... why can't she?

explorer
May 29th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Watching yourself what she said and what's the context. Eurosport press conference video.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/video/28052009/58/henin-happy-retirement.html

WowWow
May 29th, 2009, 02:53 AM
If we can have an opinion on the matter... why can't she?

We don't pretend not to care about tennis anymore :lol:

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 29th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Seven-times grand slam champion Justine Henin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/4218/;_ylt=AsygJzdtXCweAr4FRL0rBPApv7YF) urged world number one Dinara Safina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/170/;_ylt=AgANLDHRNjMsZUty002bPDIpv7YF) to stamp her mark on the game as women’s tennis desperately needs a leader.

She and Serb Jelena Jankovic (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/404/;_ylt=AiupvuDLDB8ABZkYRgNTs7Ipv7YF) have both occupied Henin’s vacated throne without having won a grand slam.
(Editing by Pritha Sarkar; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

I think you misunderstood greatly what she meant. Don't worry, I don't blame you... I was also confused by it, until I read between the lines.

She meant that as one of the "new generations", Dinara should lead by example and be a #1 with a slam. She's not disrespecting Serena in any other way.

Junex
May 29th, 2009, 02:59 AM
We don't pretend not to care about tennis anymore :lol:

She was there to attend a ceremony which is all about tennis so she is just smart enough to anticipate questions about tennis.

You are just being simplistic as to find ways to attack justine.
Stupidity anyone.................and its clearly not from Justine.

Wiggly
May 29th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Hey Justine, it's kinda your fault. :wavey:

danieln1
May 29th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Also, in no way she was a leader, to anyone... I hope no youngster looked up to her, or try to copy her antics on court...

WowWow
May 29th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Stupidity anyone.................and its clearly not from Justine.

Who said she was stupid?
She's just bitchy, but in a pathetic way.

Roookie
May 29th, 2009, 03:07 AM
But she retired holding 2 slams , the YEC and a more. :confused:. She is last person who should be complainig about the slamless number ones. I'm a little dissapointed that she said that.

WowWow
May 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Also, in no way she was a leader, to anyone... I hope no youngster looked up to her, or try to copy her antics on court...

Ditto.
Inflammatory queen :smash:

shell
May 29th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Justine has earned her right to have an opinion on WTA, world #1s and Grand Slam titles. And she has the right to state it when asked.

I would listen to her for insight into the tour before TF posters on any day. Anybody can take a jab at her, but at the end of the day she knows a bit more about what it takes to accomplish this issue than any of us. :worship:

Donny
May 29th, 2009, 03:49 AM

By Julien Pretot
PARIS, May 28 (Reuters) - Seven-times grand slam champion Justine Henin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/4218/;_ylt=AsygJzdtXCweAr4FRL0rBPApv7YF) urged world number one Dinara Safina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/170/;_ylt=AgANLDHRNjMsZUty002bPDIpv7YF) to stamp her mark on the game as women’s tennis desperately needs a leader.

But, but, FIFTY TWO WEEKS!!!111one

I'm not a fan of Henin, but props to her for being honest.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
May 29th, 2009, 04:01 AM

By Julien Pretot
PARIS, May 28 (Reuters) -
(Editing by Pritha Sarkar; To query or comment on this story email

"The Belgian said, however, that uncertainty was making women’s tennis all the more interesting."

The writer of the article didn't understand Justine in my opinion. She says that what's happening is "strange," and it's "sad" that the number one player is slamless, but that not knowing what's going to happen is "interesting."

That's not the same as saying that the uncertainly makes womens tennis "MORE" interesting.

treufreund
May 29th, 2009, 04:41 AM
The Williams sisters' fans in here who are rabid Justine-haters CONVENIENTLY FORGET/IGNORE or ARE UNAWARE of the interview that Justine gave a few weeks ago in which she strongly praised the contributions of the Williamses. The game of tennis is NOT SOLELY ABOUT VENUS and SERENA. Justine wants to see DINARA broke through IMO, because she knows that DINARA has the game now. What's wrong with that?

Renalicious
May 29th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I agree with Justine. :shrug: She's so much more likeable after retirement. :lol:

eck
May 29th, 2009, 06:04 AM

Yes, we deserved to hear 10 million times from you, a non pro opinion over one who was a pro player. We don't deserve to hear Justine's.

I'm not even sure you should be commentating about her cheating when some of the players in your signature has done some questionable things. :tape:

mandy7
May 29th, 2009, 06:07 AM
oh so it's cool when you guys whine and bitch about things, but when Justine says something on the same topic, you go whine about that?!
bitches please!

Ciarán
May 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I agree with Justine and I think Safina is one of the few who can step up.

hectopascal
May 29th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Justine won 7 slams and has many fans. Of course there will be young girls who dream about being as good as her and copy her style of play, and perhaps even her "antics". Hence, many people will find you statement very offensive.

It's akin to say I hope noone copies Ajde Ivanovic's antics on court. I like Ana by the way :)

pj5
May 29th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I love it how her honest, guarded, and true answers are taken out of context.!!!!!
Good on you Justine.

Wojtek
May 29th, 2009, 08:14 AM
The Williams fans have bad dreams about Justine every night :lol: :lol:

Every single thread about Justine maid by them is the same and almost the same posts.

I wonder what SAEKeithSerena thought (or he/she has ever thought) - when he was creating this thread. He has one idea - another hating thread. Prove his post number 4.

I have wish - SAEKeithSerena can you go to doctor or take more pills. The one you're using now aren't helping anymore.

ElusiveChanteuse
May 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Ju is so much popular one year plus after retired than before.:hearts:

Ju :worship: :rocker2: keep up the great opinion and you'll always be popular as now.:worship:

volta
May 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM
The Williams sisters' fans in here who are rabid Justine-haters CONVENIENTLY FORGET/IGNORE or ARE UNAWARE of the interview that Justine gave a few weeks ago in which she strongly praised the contributions of the Williamses. The game of tennis is NOT SOLELY ABOUT VENUS and SERENA. Justine wants to see DINARA broke through IMO, because she knows that DINARA has the game now. What's wrong with that?

YAWN. it's funny how you chose to ignore the other non williams fans that are saying that it's her faul and also chose to ignore that soem of us (williams fans) are actually backing her up on this one.

the irony of your statement (and the other Justine paranoids) is just LAUGHABLE when you yourself chose to see what you just want to see :haha:

Wojtek
May 29th, 2009, 08:47 AM
YAWN. it's funny how you chose to ignore the other non williams fans that are saying that it's her faul and also chose to ignore that soem of us (williams fans) are actually backing her up on this one.

the irony of your statement (and the other Justine paranoids) is just LAUGHABLE when you yourself chose to see what you just want to see :haha:

blah blah blah :silly:

volta
May 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
blah blah blah :silly:

oh i just got served

StephenUK
May 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Three cheers for Justine!!:worship:

If what she had said had been spoken by anyone else, the haters would probably have agreed with it.

What's wrong with her giving her comment on tennis when she has been invited to Roland Garros and asked about it? It seems like a lot of fans of her former rivals are instinctively paranoid at whatever she says, it's quite pathetic how they are still haunted by her when she has been retired for over a year!

But she speaks the truth. The fact is that no-one has been a proper No 1 since Justine. Justine in 2007 won the majority of the tournaments she entered and the majority of the slams, just like an old style Graf, Seles, Navratilova, Evert or Serena Slam Serena. No-one has been able to fill her shoes - it's almost as if the top five have been trying to avoid the top ranking. I think she is implicitly and quite rightly criticising Serena Williams for not providing the leadership the game needs and letting 'slamless' players like Safina and Jankovic take over the top ranking, but what else is going to happen when the younger Williams can't win more than two events in twelve months? She also recognises that Safina is the first player with the top ranking to actually play like she wants to keep it and hopes she can step up.

The fact is that the women's game has been getting a terrible press recently compared to the love-in over Nadal-Federer-Murray-Djokovic and having No 1s who don't cut the mustard is harming the game. Ivanovic's performances at Wimbledon and the US Open last year were a particular embarrassment. I for one hope that Safina does win Roland Garros and that at least the top ranking goes to a slam winner instead of a series of nearly women that the press and the fans cannot either respect or get excited about.

Yonexforever
May 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Justine is starting to sound like Dick Cheney!

homogenius
May 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Justine is starting to sound like Dick Cheney!

:spit:

Allez-H
May 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
isn't this what the majority of ppl has been saying? so what's the prob with Justine saying it? :rolleyes: :shrug:

The fact that Justine said it in the first place.

chloe-l
May 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
The Williams fans have bad dreams about Justine every night :lol: :lol:

Every single thread about Justine maid by them is the same and almost the same posts.

I wonder what SAEKeithSerena thought (or he/she has ever thought) - when he was creating this thread. He has one idea - another hating thread. Prove his post number 4.

I have wish - SAEKeithSerena can you go to doctor or take more pills. The one you're using now aren't helping anymore.

:lol::lol::lol:

n1ko0
May 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
for some reason whenever justine speaks i jus wanna slap her! I hated her on tour and i still hate her off tour! She lacks class, and should just know when to shut up really

eck
May 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
So when people ask her what she thinks, she should just keep quiet?

Temperenka
May 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I'm so sick of hearing her name. She is gone, "moved on from tennis," but she constantly plagues and scums up GM. Either comeback or stop "not caring about tennis."

Svetlana.
May 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I love that Justine is still under their skin :haha:

moby
May 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Safina and Jankovic fans, relax, it's nothing personal.

Guys, this is clearly a dig at Kim and Amelie and their respective stints as slamless number ones. :p Now that she's retired and they're not, she has the luxury of dissing them from the sidelines with impunity. We know Justine had vendettas against both of them.

P.S. I loved how she talked about a "boss" at the top of the game. Was she cued in to the moniker that the Philistines gave her so many years back, much to the chagrin of every fanbase and Springsteen lovers? ;)

eck
May 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm so sick of hearing her name. She is gone, "moved on from tennis," but she constantly plagues and scums up GM. Either comeback or stop "not caring about tennis."

It's not her fault people decide to post about her in GM :weirdo:

shell
May 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Safina and Jankovic fans, relax, it's nothing personal.

Guys, this is clearly a dig at Kim and Amelie and their respective stints as slamless number ones. :p Now that she's retired and they're not, she has the luxury of dissing them from the sidelines with impunity. We know Justine had vendettas against both of them.

P.S. I loved how she talked about a "boss" at the top of the game. Was she cued in to the moniker that the Philistines gave her so many years back, much to the chagrin of every fanbase and Springsteen lovers? ;)

Yeah, that......:devil:

She has the ability to have the last say, and she says it well. And there is a bit of history between Kim and Justine and exos, so no surprise she takes her chances to set the record straight. Watch the vid, and see her smile when asked about returning from retirement. She got her message across.

Polikarpov
May 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM
It's not her fault she was invited by RG organizers and was asked about it in a press conference.

She looked good in the interview.

freeandlonely
May 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Comback Juju, miss you so much:sad:
If not, I kind of hope Carla Suarez Navarro be the new queen.

Uranus
May 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM

:help:

Hey, Serena plays seriously in 4 tournaments/year and you know which ones. Despises every other event, thinks she's the GOAT and never gives credit to the opponents who defeat her or get higher in the rankings. Who's disrespectful, really?

Justine is so right. And thanks treufreund for reminding us that interview she gave a few weeks ago.

Martian KC
May 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Justine:worship:

treufreund
May 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM
:help:

Hey, Serena plays seriously in 4 tournaments/year and you know which ones. Despises every other event, thinks she's the GOAT and never gives credit to the opponents who defeat her or get higher in the rankings. Who's disrespectful, really?

Justine is so right. And thanks treufreund for reminding us that interview she gave a few weeks ago.

Thanks, Hantu! :wavey::kiss:

Ju's backhand
May 29th, 2009, 06:33 PM
She allowed to have her opinion, but she will most likely jinx Safina this way, Kuznetsova had the same problem last year :(

Of course, it's Justine's fault Kuznetsova lost.

Tennis Ball
May 29th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Erm its her fault anyway :shrug:

Uhmmm, since when is a great feat: a fault?
Replies in here are really disgraceful and ridiculous.

Btw, Justine was INVITED, plus WAS ASKED about it, but she should have :tape:-ed, yeah right. :rolleyes:

Junex
May 30th, 2009, 03:23 AM

Oh you come a little to late to defend you crew.
Damage control perhaps????:rolleyes:

I understand the sentiments of the non-fans especially the Dinara & Jelena bandwagon, of course they have issues because what justine said directly hit their faves. But clearly the odd ones here, especially the OP has no other intention but to spread hate over Justine on these boards.
You can't fault me if i sometimes lump you in my comments, I can't help it, majority of the WS fans are trolls and haters towards Justine.

At least from our camp, there is only One Matt01 who you can single out to call as an official WS hater.
But from your side of the fence.... It would take time to call on them 1 by 1.

SO peace brother.... tnx for the rep!

Dandy_Warhol
May 30th, 2009, 08:45 AM

that's also what i got from this.

volta
May 30th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Oh you come a little to late to defend you crew.
Damage control perhaps????:rolleyes:

I understand the sentiments of the non-fans especially the Dinara & Jelena bandwagon, of course they have issues because what justine said directly hit their faves. But clearly the odd ones here, especially the OP has no other intention but to spread hate over Justine on these boards.
You can't fault me if i sometimes lump you in my comments, I can't help it, majority of the WS fans are trolls and haters towards Justine.

At least from our camp, there is only One Matt01 who you can single out to call as an official WS hater.
But from your side of the fence.... It would take time to call on them 1 by 1.

SO peace brother.... tnx for the rep!
oh yes dear , because im here to defend all the WS fans :lol:

the majority of WS fans doesn't = WS fans as a whole and that's my point so thank you for backing me up on this one.
and same goes for Justine's fanbase, 90% of them are WS haters does that mean that i should call them all trolls? you be the judge

np :D

terjw
May 30th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Exactly. LOL at the intelligence of all these posters who seriously think you need to follow and watch any matches to come up with what she said. It's hardly breathtakingly controversial anyway (although slightly contradictory about the game being open and exciting but needing a leader). But as you say - it's Henin saying it who doesn't have a right to say anything. :rolleyes: Can't believe I'm defending her when I never liked her anyway.