PDA

View Full Version : Is a 10A.M. start not possible?

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Is it that dark at 10 A.M. I mean Venus match got suspended..... Novak's match is gonna get suspended...Dokic/ Dementieva would have been suspended.... Seems to me that they could start an hour earlier....

mure
May 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
you are right,seems like everyday a match or two will be suspended..organizers r stupid,what else to say

HenryMag.
May 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
wimbledon is even more stupid because they just start at 12pm and it gets dark sooner than in Paris.

Cp6uja
May 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I think best solution for this problem is simple to schedule more matches in opening sunday for R-128 and put less Doubles and mix-doubles matches till R-64 is still not over.

:shrug:

Polikarpov
May 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
The crowd is bad enough at 11am what more at 10am?

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I think best solution for this problem is simple to schedule more matches in opening sunday for R-128 and put less Doubles and mix-doubles matches till R-64 is still not over.

:shrug:

I also thought that was dumb that they played 32 matches..... and they didnt even do them from the same quarter..... it was like they just picked random matches. dumb schedule... why start on sunday if you only play an 8th of each mens and womens draw.

cellophane
May 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Get lights. Problem solved.

M.P
May 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
get light or more count

i hate they suspended the match!

azinna
May 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
10 heures du matin? Pour les Parisiens? Pas possible.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I was thinking this yesterday. Every night a match is suspended. Even 10.30am wouldn't be so bad

Marty-Dom
May 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM
wimbledon is even more stupid because they just start at 12pm and it gets dark sooner than in Paris.

Yes, but the matches are shorter. Clay matches- especially mens- tend to drag for 3-5 hours. On grass it is seldom that a match goes 4 hours. Last year's final was a freak occurrence with 5 long sets and 2 rain delays.

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Adding lights really isnt smart financially though..... I mean yeah they could finish those matches, but its not like they can actually have a "night session" say like the US Open has.... Its too cold in paris at night.....

Makes much more sense to start earlier...

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Is it that dark at 10 A.M. I mean Venus match got suspended.........

gets light around 5am or so

French dont turn up until they've eaten their lunch

Slammer7
May 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Get lights. Problem solved.

Adding lights really isnt smart financially though..... I mean yeah they could finish those matches, but its not like they can actually have a "night session" say like the US Open has.... Its too cold in paris at night.....

Makes much more sense to start earlier...

I heard on TTC yesterday that they were going to add night sessions to the FO in 2014, when they have new stadiums.

champion88
May 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM
:( I have to wait for Djokovic to finish tomorrow for my bet. If he finishes in straight sets I will win £80 from my £2 accumulator bet :tape:

Uranus
May 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Is it that dark at 10 A.M. I mean Venus match got suspended..... Novak's match is gonna get suspended...Dokic/ Dementieva would have been suspended.... Seems to me that they could start an hour earlier....
Haha, sun shines from 6am already ;). Sure they could start earlier but they've had 11am starts for years, it's not gonna change now.

drake3781
May 28th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Yes, it should start at 10 AM for Round 1 and Round 2 matches.

lynxy
May 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
They started the mens qualifications at 9.00AM... I rolled in about 9.25 and they had already played a few games.

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
It's because it's like that with the ITF and broadcasting agreements, changing the hours would make it even more complex to get players on tv during those hours.

-Sonic-
May 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Its not as if matches on every court are suspended - its 1-2 matches a day at most.

If all courts started earlier, many would be finished at 6pm - lots of people would only have arrived an hour or two before.

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Its not as if matches on every court are suspended - its 1-2 matches a day at most.

If all courts started earlier, many would be finished at 6pm - lots of people would only have arrived an hour or two before.

Not really, the mens matches are lasting 3 hours averagely atm :ras:

MaBaker
May 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
:( I have to wait for Djokovic to finish tomorrow for my bet. If he finishes in straight sets I will win £80 from my £2 accumulator bet :tape:
lol :hug:

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM

not true, on all the days all the show chartier, court 1, and SL have all had either suspended or barely finished...... If they booted some of these noname french players to normal courts maybe they wouldnt have these problems...

-Sonic-
May 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM
barely finished = finished.

and chatrier, court 1 and SL = 3 courts. 1 whole one more than the 2 i suggested.

i just looked @ sunday's and monday's matches and they all finished just fine, and on other days it rained for ages which created the delay and not the scheduling, so please don't lie just to try to make your point. it achieves nothing.

plus, there are like 20 courts there... its not just chatrier and SL.

therefore, "true"

veryborednow
May 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Matches are infinitely shorter at Wimbledon....

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
barely finished = finished.

and chatrier, court 1 and SL = 3 courts. 1 whole one more than the 2 i suggested.

i just looked @ sunday's and monday's matches and they all finished just fine, and on other days it rained for ages which created the delay and not the scheduling, so please don't lie just to try to make your point. it achieves nothing.

plus, there are like 20 courts there... its not just chatrier and SL.

therefore, "true"

Barely finished= Played in the dark....

Chartier/ SL/ Court 1 equal the courts that the favorites/ top seeds are playing on. since they are the ones expected to be here in the second week it seems to me that you should treat them properly.....

If they want to run the tournament right they either need to start the stadium courts earlier or boot some of the noname frenchies off the court....

It did NOT rain for ages......If you have a match pushed over from the previous day, if you plan on putting all these matches on then they should push the start up....

Why are YOU trying to defend something obviously so stupid. are YOU related the idiot that wont change it?

LightWarrior
May 28th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Play started at 9:30 am in 1983. They gave up on that then because players complained it was too early

LightWarrior
May 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM

No, it gets dark later in England (further west). You can play until 9:30 (10:30 Paris time)

TheBoiledEgg
May 29th, 2009, 12:06 AM
No, it gets dark later in England (further west). You can play until 9:30 (10:30 Paris time)

Paris is only slightly more east than London and its one hour ahead, its gets darker later in Paris than in London.

Paris May
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=195

London in June
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136&month=6&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

TomTennis
May 29th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Paris is only slightly more east than London and its one hour ahead, its gets darker later in Paris than in London.

Paris May
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=195

London in June
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136&month=6&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Grass court tennis is over a lot quicket then clay court tennis.
Majority of matches at Wimbledon are finished on time.

In The Zone
May 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM
One of the commentators was saying that the French Open will be introducing night sessions in 2014. :speakles:

In The Zone
May 29th, 2009, 12:25 AM
The French Open is set to join the grand-slam trend of becoming a day-night tournament by 2014 when it completes the construction of a £105 million covered centrepiece court.

Gilbert Ysern, the Roland Garros tournament director, made public his projections for an event that he said used to be the pioneer among grand-slam meetings but was now playing catch-up.

The promise of extended days, with the requisite scheduling dilemmas that afflict the US and especially the Australian Open, is not a popular move in France. However nothing, Ysern insisted, would ever be done to undermine the event’s prestige and the players would be the most important consideration.

The French Tennis Federation is stumping up €80 million towards the expense of the new court, which will feature a roof that has become the norm, the rest of the cost will be shared between city and central government. Any consideration of putting a roof on the present main hub, Court Philippe Chatrier, was a non-starter because local laws specify that nothing can be built above it.

Bit by bit the grand-slam tournaments constantly try and find ways of outdoing each other while not losing the magic that makes them stand out individually.

“Wimbledon are way ahead of us at the moment, competition between us raises standards and is good for the game.” Ysern said, reflecting on the completion of the All England Club’s Centre Court roof in time for this year’s Grand Slam.

http://www.live-tennis.com/category/Tennis-News/Roland-Garros-plans-2014-day-night-matches-200905270006/

Interesting. A number of articles said 2011 for a roof but I guess it is 2014 for a roof and night session for RG.

Those evenings spent digesting a day’s exhilarating tennis — and more besides — in the cafés of the Porte d’Auteuil are soon to be a bygone delight. The French Open will join the grand-slam trend and become a day-night championship by 2014 when it completes the construction of a €120 million (about £105 million) covered centrepiece a ten-minute stroll from the present grounds.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6367839.ece

darrinbaker00
May 29th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Grass court tennis is over a lot quicket then clay court tennis.
Majority of matches at Wimbledon are finished on time.
When it's not raining, of course. ;)