PDA

View Full Version : Venus def. Lucie = best match of '09 ?

davidmario
May 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Considering the bad conditions (Suspended after first set due to darkness, wet clay court, rain here and there) it was such a high class match.
Look at the stats: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day10/2073ms.html

It was amazing to watch! Thank you girls:angel:
Super play by Lucie:hug: Nerves of steal by the Queen:angel:

RenaSlam.
May 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I'd say so.

-jenks-
May 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Not really...

Dokic def. Kleybanova for me is still the best this year.

Sharapova vs. Petrova was even better than this.

friendsita
May 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Was a really great match!

Direwolf
May 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Quality wise....
this is the beest match

Drama wise
tVenus saving Mp made it more dramatic!!

which none of the other matches mentioned above
has

sweetpeas
May 28th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Love you Venus!

:inlove:
May 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM

No.

Best match I have seen all year, although I didn“t catch the Venus-Suarez Navarro match that people rave about.

jjcrew#1
May 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
no!
sharapova petrova way better!

Sha_ra_po_va
May 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
you can't have seen many matches if you think so!

Dexter
May 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Not really...

Sharapova vs. Petrova was even better than this.Are you kidding me? This match was not even half-decent quality wise. They both couldn't even move (for different reasons... Nadia is out of shape, Maria has no idea whatsoever how to move on clay).

davidmario
May 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
you can't have seen many matches if you think so!

that's why there is a question mark.

I'm listening...

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I don't think any of the matches mentioned here deserve a mention as best match so far.

I thought Serena vs Kuznetsova at the AO to be better than all these matches combined, and even that wasn't a great match.

Serenita
May 28th, 2009, 06:53 PM
i'm watching it now, great stuff!!

May 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I can´t understand how you could think Serena def Kuznetsova was superior to Venus def Safarova in any way.

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I would agree

Serena vs Ana comes close second

iGOAT
May 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I think CSN-Venus.

Dodoboy.
May 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Serena v Kuzzie SUCKED!

Masha v Nadia was a good match but not GREAT

Venus v Carla and Venus v Lucie are up there.

Always Vee in early round playing with my heart :sobbing:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Serena-Ana in Dubai was a pretty great match even though it was only 2 sets.

Cp6uja
May 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Venus is always (way) better player on fastest Red Clay court in Rome and SAF-ina is (way) better player than SAF-arova... so Venus/Safina 3-setter showdown in Rome semifinal is arguably best match of the season so far if You ask me.

Billabong
May 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Jankovic VS Lisicki in Stuttgart was another good one:)

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Richards fiance sure is loud......

Serenita
May 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah i agree best match of the year

RenaSlam.
May 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Venus is always (way) better player on fastest Red Clay court in Rome and SAF-ina is (way) better player than SAF-arova... so Venus/Safina 3-setter showdown in Rome semifinal is arguably best match of the season so far if You ask me.

Quality was not as good.

serenus_2k8
May 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
It was awesome :drool:

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I can“t understand how you could think Serena def Kuznetsova was superior to Venus def Safarova in any way.

Because it actually had less errors :weirdo:

saul1333
May 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Lucie always hits pretty winners.

Sally Todd
May 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Good thread davidmario :yeah:

This match gets my vote.

Venus and Lucie are my favorite players, so maybe I'm biased. :lol:

This match was high quality from start to finish with the possible (and understandable) exception of the very start of day 2. The second set was closer than the scoreline indicates, with Lucie having game points on a few games Venus won.

The tiebreak the first day was ::armed: stuff, with Lucie hitting at least three scorching winners at the end of hard rallies.

The third set was superb and dramatic.

Sharapova-Petrova was fine, but cmon now. No match points saved and the stats weren't as good, nor the rallies as intense. Serena-Kuz at the AO was very up and down in terms of quality, though some of it was outstanding. CSN-Venus at the Australian was entertaining, but Venus played some butt ugly tennis in that third set. :help: Venus and Safina in Rome was pretty great, though Venus kind of threw in the towel at the very end. Serena-Zapokalova had some great stretches. This year's French has been terrific.

Players' rankings don't matter in rating a match like this -- which is both good and bad. If caliber of matches mattered Lucie would be top 10 in delivering thrillers. Her match against Jankovic at Wimbledon on -- another loss :sobbing: -- was a contender for best match of that year.

:worship: to both women. I hope Lucie rebounds from this for grass and hard courts. Her game is really coming together again.

volta
May 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Serena vs Ana - Dubai
Dokic vs Kleybanova - Aussie Open
Venus vs Lucie - RG

these are my picks (i didn't see the first set of Venus' match btw that's why it's not above Dokic's)

Venus vs Navarro? that's a myth , such match never existed :fiery: :bigcry:

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM
This or safina-venus

Bayo
May 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
This was very high quality for what I saw. Lucie was hitting some blazing winners, and that shot that Venus came up with down MP was perfection.

May 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Not sure where you got the statistics from, but there is no way in hell that that match was even close to the quality or drama of Venus-Safarova. (:weirdo: )

Sally Todd
May 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I forgot about Dokic vs. Kleybanova. That's the one match I haven't seen that I'd most like to see this year. Kleybanova's win over Ivanovic going in was thrilling, and Jelena was playing great ball and bringing the drama.

Dodoboy.
May 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Venus is really giving us some quality matches :yeah:

joćo.
May 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
For her fans probably because she won and almost lost. :rolleyes:

But still can't top other previous ones for the best match of '09 at all imo.

davidmario
May 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I forgot about the Venus-Safina SF in Rome. I have to say the first set was one of the best sets Vee has ever played. In the end however Venus was making a lot of errors when she had chances to get back into the match.
Also the first set of Venus-SAFA yesterday was superb. I thought they can't keep this level up but they started today like there had been no night in between.

Daniela-Is-Mine
May 29th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Best match of the year... Hellz no.

Hantuyama def Bluber

pollison
May 29th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Probably..though there hasnt been much competition this year.

The Dokic/Kleybanova much also a big HIGHlight!

moon
May 29th, 2009, 01:04 AM
i love Venus, and lucie was hitting some blazing shots. so for me this match was :D

#1Davenport
May 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
This was very high quality for what I saw. Lucie was hitting some blazing winners, and that shot that Venus came up with down MP was perfection.

Reminiscent of the shot she hit to save championship point at Wimbledon in '05 against Lindsay.

mckyle.
May 29th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Someone needs to youtube Dokic/Kleybanova. I guess most here never saw it.

Harju.
May 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Venus vs Safina was better, despite having more errors but some of the winners were OUTRAGEOUS plus, the momentum shifted constantly. So much more drama and entertaining.

Temperenka
May 29th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Quality-wise: Safarova vs. Williams.

Drama-wise: Petrova vs. Sharapova

Inger67
May 29th, 2009, 05:30 AM

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day10/2073ms.html
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day15/2504ms.html

Venus/Lucie combined UE's: 50

Serena/Sveta combined UE's: 69

:confused:

AnomyBC
May 29th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Not really...

I agree with these two as being the best women's matches of the year so far. And I think Sharapova vs. Petrova was definitely best women's match of the tournament so far.

InsideOut.
May 29th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Serena vs. Ana in Dubai was better quality IMO. :D

Cat's Pajamas
May 29th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Not sure where you got the statistics from, but there is no way in hell that that match was even close to the quality or drama of Venus-Safarova. (:weirdo: )

Haven't you learned??? When arguing with MashaRena logic is thrown out the window. :rolls:

And why should he use logic when he can hit 130 mph second serves and is an acclaimed poet? :shrug:

Rome
May 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM

I know /gasp

May 29th, 2009, 09:16 AM

COME ON BABY! http://i42.tinypic.com/219tfls.gif

CoolDude7
May 29th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thread needs a good bumping, to show what Venus/Lucie had done not even 24 hours ago. Maybe best match of tourny