PDA

View Full Version : French Open should install the hawk eye immediately, see what happens without it?

anampoee
May 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiqqDoh-I9c

This is the 2nd round in 2009 French Open, Zheng Jie vs Michelle Larcher De Brito. The linesman called in, and the umpire called it out. He even checked the wrong ball mark. It is the game point of Jie, while Jie was leading 4-3 at that time. There's a big difference between 4-4 and 5-3. :o

As a Zheng Jie fan, I am extremely disappointed at this. :sad:What is the WTA doing? This is a grand slam! Similar incidents happen a lot in other matches. For justice, please install the hawk eye! Don't tell me that you don't have the money and time for this!

Also, Michelle clearly knew that it was in. Shame on her for not voicing it out, and shame on the umpire too. :mad:

P.S. my focus is not on whether this shot can change the results or not, and I also know that wrong judging happens always in tournaments. However, should some measures be taken to prevent similar cases? At least, train your umpires :help:

davidmario
May 28th, 2009, 05:48 PM
haha I remember that scene it was just ridicolous. Typical macho-behaviour. He overruled then Zheng made him to check the mark and he pointed on the line and said it was "out" :lol: I hate people who can't correct themselves.

-jenks-
May 28th, 2009, 05:48 PM
They wouldn't have hawkeye on this court anyway :rolleyes:

Kworb
May 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
What the hell. That umpire should go back to $10Ks. That kind of grave error is unforgivable at a Grand Slam. I'm also disappointed by Michelle's classless behavior.

slnbb
May 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I agree, TOTALLY !!

as for the Michelle part, I don't see any sportsmanship in her,AT ALL !!!
the whole screaming thing is just annoying !!
I mean, come on, she is louder and more screechy than maria and venus....

slnbb
May 28th, 2009, 05:55 PM
They wouldn't have hawkeye on this court anyway :rolleyes:

yeah ...but we're talking about the whole FO, not only court 7...

drake3781
May 28th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Somebody went to recruit new Chinese people to come here and protest this outrage? :rolleyes:

Lot of bad line calls in tennis. That's the way it has been, is and will be, so get used to it. Players have to play just that much better to overcome it.

Kworb
May 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM
So this is why Jie lost. She let this amateur umpire get to her. :o I don't blame her. This is the worst error I've seen since the Venus/Sprem tie break fiasco.

anampoee
May 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Somebody went to recruit new Chinese people to come here and protest this outrage? :rolleyes:

Lot of bad line calls in tennis. That's the way it has been, is and will be, so get used to it. Players have to play just that much better to overcome it.

That's true, but man, this is a GRAND SLAM. Technology improves hell lot, so don't reminisce the old days. All the other grand slams installed them already, so why not FO?

Also, it's not about race or whatever. If you understand Chinese, you should know that the man in the video says that Zheng should improve mentally to overcome these things

Foon_JJ
May 28th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I agree, TOTALLY !!

as for the Michelle part, I don't see any sportsmanship in her,AT ALL !!!
the whole screaming thing is just annoying !!
I mean, come on, she is louder and more screechy than maria and venus....

Totally agree with you!!!

Ridicolous!!! What a huge mistake!!!:fiery:
OMG...she is so louder in this match...:help:

slnbb
May 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
So this is why Jie lost. She let this amateur umpire get to her. :o I don't blame her. This is the worst error I've seen since the Venus/Sprem tie break fiasco.

I don't blame Jie's lost to one bad call. After all, it was her responsibily to bounce back and let it go. She didn't and she lost.

But still, the umpire and Michelle:fiery:

anampoee
May 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Totally agree with you!!!

Ridicolous!!! What a huge mistake!!!:fiery:
OMG...she is so louder in this match...:help:

Her screams give me headaches :worship: No wonder Zheng can't bear it.

serenus_2k8
May 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM
There has been much worse calls than this in bigger matches. Seems petty to have a whole news article focussed on it, the guy made a mistake, Jie was not the better player though and she had much more experience so should have risen above it. I admit its unfair but :shrug: C'est la vie, non? :p

bjurra
May 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Very poor umpiring.

I dont think court 7 needs hawkeye though.

bjurra
May 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
There has been much worse calls than this in bigger matches.

To point at a mark about 50 cm away from the actual bounce when you made an overrule is ridiculously poor.

Sure, the call in Serena - Capriati was even worse...:)

-jenks-
May 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hawk eye is a horrible idea on a clay court. It's not even 100% accurate. So if it's used, there would be so much more complaining

Marty-Dom
May 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I captured the scene. It's ridiculous. Jie was laughing at him. He needs to sit out the rest of the tournament.

Malva
May 28th, 2009, 07:49 PM

Interesting to note that in the deciding set against MLdB in Miami, 2008, A. Radwańska completely lost her composure (which happens very rarely with her) because of what she saw as a series of bad linesmen calls favoring MLdB in crucial moments. Agnieszka was very bitter about that in the post-match interview.

I captured the scene. It's ridiculous. Jie was laughing at him. He needs to sit out the rest of the tournament.

I hope Zheng's team will not fail to file complaint. Such gross mistakes cannot go unnoticed.

AnnaK_4ever
May 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
The umpire is blind but Michelle Larcher de Cheater is ten times worse.

ce
May 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Zheng :sad:

ChriS.
May 28th, 2009, 08:56 PM
It an easy mistake to make, the mark's were less than a metre apart! Not fair to Jie but still she should have been able to win this match.

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 08:58 PM
They should also get new umpires and younger linesmen, they can't even tell the difference between out and in. And when the umpire goes out her/his chair, they mostly point the wrong print. It's really bad, Hawkeye should be at all big tournaments, clay and non clay.

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hawk eye is a horrible idea on a clay court. It's not even 100% accurate. So if it's used, there would be so much more complaining

Tests show that Hawkeye is max 1.5 mm wrong, while a human eye ranges from 2 mm to 10 mm.

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 09:00 PM

Tie break error wasn't that bad, the serena vs capriati match is unbeatable.

schorsch
May 28th, 2009, 09:03 PM
So, does anybody know if larcher circled that shot or not? I mean she was there to play the shot, but did she just walk away or did she circle the mark?

twight6
May 28th, 2009, 09:03 PM

I know!

They should get Jesus himself out here to call lines and be the chair umpire. Then we'd have no problems :angel:

LCS
May 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Interesting to note that in the deciding set against MLdB in Miami, 2008, A. Radwańska completely lost her composure (which happens very rarely with her) because of what she saw as a series of bad linesmen calls favoring MLdB in crucial moments. Agnieszka was very bitter about that in the post-match interview.

I hope Zheng's team will not fail to file complaint. Such gross mistakes cannot go unnoticed.

You swallowed a bitter pill?

itzhak
May 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM
"cheng ching chen ching chen ching chu chu chu chi chi che cha che chi cho chu"

markdelaney
May 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
"cheng ching chen ching chen ching chu chu chu chi chi che cha che chi cho chu"

That's barely better than racism and not clever at all.

:fiery:

itzhak
May 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
That's barely better than racism and not clever at all.

:fiery:

come on, I was joking, nothing more...;)

Alec
May 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
this umpire is horrible:o

kris719
May 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
so this one call is why she went on to lose the match. come on, it was in the first set, she still had a chance to win and failed.

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
So this is why Jie lost. She let this amateur umpire get to her. :o I don't blame her. This is the worst error I've seen since the Venus/Sprem tie break fiasco.If so, I expect the Chinese Tennis Federation (Or whatever it's called) to take care of the situation behind the scenes. Might be instructive to see if the ump handles any more matches with Chinese players. And certainly I don't think you'll see that umpire at Beijing.

And HawkEye isn't infallible.

vadin124
May 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
and you can actually see that Michelle deliberately ringed the wrong mark as well...

disgusting behavior from her...we don't need cheats like her on the tour, so if she is the future, then god help us!

but it's unfortunate for Zheng this happened, but we can hope that Rezai beats the s**t out of Michelle in the next round...

i'm struggling to see how anyone can be a fan of this girl after seeing that video

vadin124
May 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
So, does anybody know if larcher circled that shot or not? I mean she was there to play the shot, but did she just walk away or did she circle the mark?

you can clearly see in the video Michelle had circled the wrong mark

Sonf@
May 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
really? I don't see anything

vadin124
May 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
pause the video at 0:52

drake3781
May 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
If Michelle circled the wrong mark, then that is very interesting.

The point about Hawkeye, I don't agree with.

And people joining here just to complain about something that is part of tennis.

Sonf@
May 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
that's a ball mark of an atp match used as example

-jenks-
May 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
By the looks of it, Michelle didn't circle the mark. She just walked off with her back turned while everything was going on.

The video shows a Djokovic match where he circles a mark! :rolleyes:

vadin124
May 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
oh ok then...i stand corrected

so Michelle may not have circled it...still awful call though

charmedRic
May 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
There has been much worse calls than this in bigger matches. Seems petty to have a whole news article focussed on it, the guy made a mistake, Jie was not the better player though and she had much more experience so should have risen above it. I admit its unfair but :shrug: C'est la vie, non? :p

pretty much. yeah.

Bosco123
May 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM
that's a ball mark of an atp match used as example

yes, thats makes so much sense, neither Jie nor Larcher bothered to unmark a previous mark just near the base line- get real :wavey: - De Burritto viciously marked the wrong mark, this girl is horrible :wavey:

Bosco123
May 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM
By the looks of it, Michelle didn't circle the mark. She just walked off with her back turned while everything was going on.

The video shows a Djokovic match where he circles a mark! :rolleyes:

that's makes no sense! :wavey:

Wiggly
May 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM
If Michelle circled the wrong mark, then that is very interesting.

The point about Hawkeye, I don't agree with.

And people joining here just to complain about something that is part of tennis.

I don't think she circled the mark. You can see her advancing into the court, than you see Zheng, then you see Michelle catching the last ball Zheng hit. ;)

-jenks-
May 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
that's makes no sense! :wavey:

How so? :scratch:

Anyways, there's no way to say zheng would have won the point anyways. To say that this one call changed the match is crazy.

Bosco123
May 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I don't think she circled the mark. You can see her advancing into the court, than you see Zheng, then you see Michelle catching the last ball Zheng hit. ;)

If she marked it , she would have done it just after Jie complained about the call and the camera doesn't show us what she did during these moments. But one might assume that 1 of them would already have bothered to delete a circle from a men's match.

Sonf@
May 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
yes, thats makes so much sense, neither Jie nor Larcher bothered to unmark a previous mark just near the base line- get real :wavey: - De Burritto viciously marked the wrong mark, this girl is horrible :wavey:

yeah, and you have the proof in the fantasy video playing in your head... :rolleyes:

Shvedbarilescu
May 28th, 2009, 11:01 PM
and you can actually see that Michelle deliberately ringed the wrong mark as well...

disgusting behavior from her...we don't need cheats like her on the tour, so if she is the future, then god help us!

but it's unfortunate for Zheng this happened, but we can hope that Rezai beats the s**t out of Michelle in the next round...

i'm struggling to see how anyone can be a fan of this girl after seeing that video

The umpire is blind but Michelle Larcher de Cheater is ten times worse.

I don't take a seriously strong dislike to a player very often. It happens but very rarely. I can not actually recall a female player that I have taken such a dislike to as I have to MLDB....ever. I think with that all-encompassing will to win she has she is, sadly, going have a very successful future. But I honestly hope she falls on her face.

Jem
May 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Come on folks. It's ridiculous to criticize Brito for anything regarding that call. It was so close that it could have been out just as easily as in. To call her a cheater in this case is ridiculous.

woodrow1029
May 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hawkeye uses less cameras and a lesser experienced crew for tournaments that do not officially use Hawkeye. It is there for entertainment purposes only. It is not reliable at the French Open.

woodrow1029
May 28th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Tests show that Hawkeye is max 1.5 mm wrong, while a human eye ranges from 2 mm to 10 mm.
Hawkeye has a 3.6mm margin of error, not 1.5, and it's even more at tournaments that are not officially using the system. Umpires do not usually go to the wrong mark.

Corswandt
May 29th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I don't take a seriously strong dislike to a player very often. It happens but very rarely. I can not actually recall a female player that I have taken such a dislike to as I have to MLDB....ever. I think with that all-encompassing will to win she has she is, sadly, going have a very successful future. But I honestly hope she falls on her face.

I don't know about Micaela Carolina, but you have already fallen on your pompous, verbose face by accusing her of something she didn't do. Watch the video again, and read all the comments on the thread instead of picking only those that suit your views.

drake3781
May 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
If so, I expect the Chinese Tennis Federation (Or whatever it's called) to take care of the situation behind the scenes. Might be instructive to see if the ump handles any more matches with Chinese players. And certainly I don't think you'll see that umpire at Beijing.

And HawkEye isn't infallible.

I really cannot agree that the umpire should not handle any other Chinese players' matches. That is insinuating that his is anti-Chinese in general. I don't think we have any reason to make that leap based on a line call.

I don't know how umpires are handled when they make errors, but honestly I'm not surprised to have an error or two in a match - there are hundreds of decisions made and while we expect close to perfect, we have to accept close to perfect.

drake3781
May 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Hawkeye uses less cameras and a lesser experienced crew for tournaments that do not officially use Hawkeye. It is there for entertainment purposes only. It is not reliable at the French Open.

What are your thoughts about this call, Woodrow? (Given that I'm a Zheng fan but think these things happen ;) .)

Pasta-Na
May 29th, 2009, 02:49 AM
don't like her to scream when little jie tried to return the balls. :o

WowWow
May 29th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Hawk eye pronto!

Lin Lin
May 29th, 2009, 03:03 AM
OMG,I didn't expect this even can be a question.horrible judges are everywhere,in every sports,so it's not a reason why someone lost.The wrong decision may happen upon every players.:shrug:

woodrow1029
May 29th, 2009, 03:58 PM
What are your thoughts about this call, Woodrow? (Given that I'm a Zheng fan but think these things happen ;) .)

It looks like a mistake. It happens. Nobody says that umpires are perfect. On a ball that close, the umpire should have held his eyes on the mark better and probably should have gone to check the mark before being asked. I would have gone without her asking anyway. If he realized he wasn't sure, he should have asked the line umpire to show him. Unfortunately, once you read a mark, and the player disagrees with you, it's too late to ask the line umpire since you can't make a decision on a line call on player appeal after you already decided one way. This happens occassionally, not often. In this case, the umpire clearly went to the wrong mark. As I said before, when Hawkeye is not officially being used, they install less cameras, and don't have their best crew. Therefore, a lot of the times when Hawkeye doesn't agree with the call made, it is not at all a reliable system when not officially in use. We have seen numerous occasions this tournament of umpires reading a mark one way, or a player wiping out a mark saying that it's good, and Hawkeye shows it clearly out. That should be an indicator right there. Every umpire, including myself, has gone to a wrong mark at least once in their career. The players get upset about it, the spectators get upset about it, and when we realize we made a mistake, we feel worse than probably anyone. Hawkeye will not be making an appearance at a clay court tournament at anytime in the near future, if ever at all. To say that the umpire shouldn't be able to umpire any Chinese players at all anymore is ridiculous. Jie may be on the umpire's "no list" for a little while, but maybe not. A few years ago, I umpired Sharapova vs. Kirilenko at the Los Angeles WTA tournament. Kirilenko was really pissed off at me. There were 2 very close calls on the baseline towards the far side line at tight points of the first set tiebreak. I had the number 1 rated line umpire in the world on that line. I did not overrule either of them. This was before the days of Hawkeye. My gut feeling was that the line umpire was wrong on the first one, and correct on the second one. I wasn't sure enough on the first one to overrule, not a clear mistake. Kirilenko lost that tiebreak, and lost the second set pretty easily. She was pissed at me the whole time. Didn't shake my hand, and she was all over the media about how bad I was and how it was the worst umpiring she had ever seen. I didn't umpire her for the rest of that summer hard court swing. The next year in Indian Wells, I umpired her again, and everything was fine. Mistakes happen, the players know that. They move on.

AnnaK_4ever
May 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Come on folks. It's ridiculous to criticize Brito for anything regarding that call. It was so close that it could have been out just as easily as in. To call her a cheater in this case is ridiculous.

MLDB knew perfectly the umpire was checking the wrong mark yet she didn't say a word. If it's not a cheat I don't know what it is.

woodrow1029
May 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
MLDB knew perfectly the umpire was checking the wrong mark yet she didn't say a word. If it's not a cheat I don't know what it is.
The players are not responsible to correct the umpire's errors. They are to play the umpire's calls. If the player chooses to correct the umpire and conceed, it's their perogative. But MLDB was no way cheating in what she did or didn't do.

AnnaK_4ever
May 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The players are not responsible to correct the umpire's errors. They are to play the umpire's calls. If the player chooses to correct the umpire and conceed, it's their perogative. But MLDB was no way cheating in what she did or didn't do.

Yes, she was. Ever heard of sportsmanship and fair play?

In men's tennis it happens quite often that players overrule line judges and umpires decisions.

woodrow1029
May 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yes, she was. Ever heard of sportsmanship and fair play?

In men's tennis it happens quite often that players overrule line judges and umpires decisions.
Yes they do, but again, it's not required. If she waits for the umpire to come down and check the mark, and the umpire reads the wrong one, it is not the player's responsibility to tell him he's wrong.

AnnaK_4ever
May 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Yes they do, but again, it's not required. If she waits for the umpire to come down and check the mark, and the umpire reads the wrong one, it is not the player's responsibility to tell him he's wrong.

Fair play and sportsmanship.

Mynarco
May 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM
1. Yes, I agree hawkeye is a must in French Open, PC and SL or even Court 1.
2. But hey, don't say Jie lost the match because of it. Who knows what happen if it back to deuce?
3. Instead, the umpire should be sacked or warned.
EDIT: 4. Michelle should point out Umpire's mistake. This is a class behaviour. But she's still young, just let her go.

pancake
May 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Next time someone steals your bag in the street, and no police is around, and no one comes to help you to catch the thief, because it's only the police's responsibility to do so, what will you think? C'mon, it can't be denied that she's only a player not a lineperson or an umpire, but she is in the match, she also has the power to make the match as fair as possible, and she let the chance go, and you still think it's ok?:confused: She is a good player loaded with talent, but such behavior shouldn't be tolerated.

woodrow1029
May 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Completely different situation when you're talking about someone stealing and chasing after someone that may be armed and dangerous.

bobbynorwich
May 29th, 2009, 10:26 PM
It is ridiculous for the tv broadcasts to have Hawkeye and then show when the refs' calls are wrong. In the Ouannu vs Safin match on Wednesday, the ref made an incorrect line call (based on Hawkeye) which if made correctly would have given Ouanna the match. He ultimately did win the match, but several games later.

If the system is already installed, why not use it? Makes no sense whatsoever.

woodrow1029
May 29th, 2009, 11:23 PM
see post 51

Peterk07
May 30th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I think hawk eye is more for the audience and tv viewers than for the sport itself. 90% of the matches are played without hawk eye, even in those tournaments that have this facility on the showcourts. So it doesn't really improve the overall level of line judging, but makes the viewer believe that it's infallible. But it's not.

I feel sorry for Jie though.

drake3781
May 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
It looks like a mistake. It happens. Nobody says that umpires are perfect. On a ball that close, the umpire should have held his eyes on the mark better and probably should have gone to check the mark before being asked. I would have gone without her asking anyway. If he realized he wasn't sure, he should have asked the line umpire to show him. Unfortunately, once you read a mark, and the player disagrees with you, it's too late to ask the line umpire since you can't make a decision on a line call on player appeal after you already decided one way. This happens occassionally, not often. In this case, the umpire clearly went to the wrong mark. As I said before, when Hawkeye is not officially being used, they install less cameras, and don't have their best crew. Therefore, a lot of the times when Hawkeye doesn't agree with the call made, it is not at all a reliable system when not officially in use. We have seen numerous occasions this tournament of umpires reading a mark one way, or a player wiping out a mark saying that it's good, and Hawkeye shows it clearly out. That should be an indicator right there. Every umpire, including myself, has gone to a wrong mark at least once in their career. The players get upset about it, the spectators get upset about it, and when we realize we made a mistake, we feel worse than probably anyone. Hawkeye will not be making an appearance at a clay court tournament at anytime in the near future, if ever at all. To say that the umpire shouldn't be able to umpire any Chinese players at all anymore is ridiculous. Jie may be on the umpire's "no list" for a little while, but maybe not. A few years ago, I umpired Sharapova vs. Kirilenko at the Los Angeles WTA tournament. Kirilenko was really pissed off at me. There were 2 very close calls on the baseline towards the far side line at tight points of the first set tiebreak. I had the number 1 rated line umpire in the world on that line. I did not overrule either of them. This was before the days of Hawkeye. My gut feeling was that the line umpire was wrong on the first one, and correct on the second one. I wasn't sure enough on the first one to overrule, not a clear mistake. Kirilenko lost that tiebreak, and lost the second set pretty easily. She was pissed at me the whole time. Didn't shake my hand, and she was all over the media about how bad I was and how it was the worst umpiring she had ever seen. I didn't umpire her for the rest of that summer hard court swing. The next year in Indian Wells, I umpired her again, and everything was fine. Mistakes happen, the players know that. They move on.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. :)

drake3781
May 30th, 2009, 01:29 AM

Thanks for sharing your perspective. :)