PDA

View Full Version : Is Dinara Safina the best female tennis player in the world?

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
For purposes of this thread, don't care how you make the valuation. But I'm talking right now. You can base it on career stats ranking, slams won in the last twelve months, who's fitness most improved since June 2006, or who you wanna f*ck. Don't much care about why.

-jenks-
May 28th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Right now, yes

frenchie
May 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
:spit:

Nikkiri
May 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
At the moment yes she is.

Slammer7
May 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
She's the best female clay-courter right now. You can ask the same question in a month about Venus on grass and the answer is obvious. You can ask the same question on odd years in Melbourne and the answer is obvious. Hell you could have asked the same question in the indoor period last season and the answer was JJ. So it depends on the time of the year I guess. Because when Safina could only win 4 or 5 matches between February and May she definitely was not.:shrug: Conversely when Serena couldn't win matches(playing hurt) she wasn't either. So what we have a best player in the world every week now? I don't think that is a good way to judge things. Under that standard there have been hundreds of best players in the world.:lol:

bobbynorwich
May 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
She's now 2000 points ahead of anybody else, so clearly yes.

rockstar
May 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
volcana and his obsession with the "real" number1 player :weirdo:

GeeTee
May 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
yawn

friendsita
May 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM
No way.

Lucemferre
May 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM
She is the best on clay.

Elwin.
May 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM
at this moment she is

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM
volcana and his obsession with the "real" number1 player :weirdo:

So beyond tired. :yawn:
So many threads on this. Couldn't do a search? :weirdo:

AndreConrad
May 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM
She is the best at the moment. However at this same time we have an active player, namely Serena Williams who belongs in WTA Hall of Fame while we cannot say that about Safina right now. Still Serena is not as consistent as Dinara over last 12 months and this is why Dinara has an upper hand in the end of May 2009.

Harvs
May 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
the last few weeks, yes.
the last year, no.

Slutiana
May 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Shes the best female tennis player in the world on clay. If the grass season was this long im sure it would be Venus who would be no.1 right now.

And stop dissing volcana, his posts are always thought-provoking and balanced, rudes. :ras:

Dave.
May 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM
In singles she is. :shrug: Accross all surfaces.

Destiny
May 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM
yes atm

HRHoliviasmith
May 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
yes she is.

frenchie
May 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
She is the best player on clay, that's right

Venus is the best grass court player

Serena everywhere else

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
So beyond tired. :yawn:
So many threads on this. Couldn't do a search? :weirdo:Don't have to. Knew I could count on you to post.

hingis-seles
May 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Without a doubt.

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Not until she wins a slam...... And, IMO if she does win here, she wont win for awhile. She'll end up like clijsters...

Peterk07
May 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM
So what we have a best player in the world every week now? I don't think that is a good way to judge things. Under that standard there have been hundreds of best players in the world.:lol:

Why not? When I make my bet I don't really care about who is historically or carreer-wise the best player, i care about who is the one who can win the tourny. And when I am voting for someone to be placed in the HOF I certainly look at her carreer and achievements.

The greatest is not necessarily the best, and the best is not necessarily the greatest.

Slammer7
May 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Why not? When I make my bet I don't really care about who is historically or carreer-wise the best player, i care about who is the one who can win the tourny. And when I am voting for someone to be placed in the HOF I certainly look at her carreer and achievements.

The greatest is not necessarily the best, and the best is not necessarily the greatest.

So we're judging by bets and odds? WOW. So did you make a lot of money betting on Venus in 2005 or after she almost lost to Morigami in 2007 when the odds for her winning the title were 100-1? If you did then you lived well for a while off of that.;):hug:

danieln1
May 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
On clay, she´s the best right now
On hard/grass/indoor, she´s not

Brena
May 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I think Sveta is playing better than Dinara atm.

Peterk07
May 28th, 2009, 05:22 PM
So we're judging by bets and odds? WOW. So did you make a lot of money betting on Venus in 2005 or after she almost lost to Morigami in 2007 when the odds for her winning the title were 100-1? If you did then you lived well for a while off of that.;):hug:

You know exactly how I mean it. ;)

Matt01
May 28th, 2009, 05:47 PM
She is the best player on clay, that's right

Venus is the best grass court player

Serena everywhere else

Fail.

Helen Lawson
May 28th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Right now, it's tough to deny that it's her. The winner of the French should clarify a lot for all of us, unless of course, she and Serena both get the boot QF or earlier, then no one will know what to think.

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Don't have to. Knew I could count on you to post.

Only to scold you for being an attention whore obsessed with every detail involved in the #1 ranking.

You've probably yourself started a dozen threads on the topic this year alone.

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Only to scold you for being an attention whore obsessed with every detail involved in the #1 ranking. And for all that scolding, you've completely missed the point of those threads. I'm interested in how people determine who they consider the best player. For some people, that's the player with the #1 ranking. For some people, it's not.

Svetlana.
May 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
yes she is.

Who is that handsome dude in your avi?

SzavayFi
May 28th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Definitely, but only on clay I think. Serena gets the edge and any kind of hard court or grass court. :)

MrSerenaWilliams
May 28th, 2009, 09:48 PM
#1 in the world? Yes.
Best? Probably, but there are 2/3 other players on above/equal to her.
If I had to pick someone to play 1 set for my life, would I pick her? HELL no.

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Given her clay performance so far, I'd say she's certainly the best clay courter, but on other surfaces I'd give other people the advantage, so I'd say the #1 position is more shared than owned by any individual.

Williamsser
Jun 6th, 2009, 04:12 PM
No.

zxcVbnm88
Jun 6th, 2009, 04:14 PM
RG is over and I voted NO.

M.P
Jun 6th, 2009, 04:14 PM
oh... it's coming now :p

RenaSlam.
Jun 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Fuck No.

Wiggly
Jun 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
She doesn't have the mentality of a champion.
And she knows it. :tape:

Kart
Jun 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
She is not the best player in the world.

She is, however, the world's top ranked player and is well deserving of that accolade given her record in the last six weeks or so.

Brena
Jun 6th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I think Sveta is playing better than Dinara atm.

Oh, I'm so tennis-smart! :inlove: :rolls:

youizahoe
Jun 6th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Nope. Serena and Kuzzy pwn her.

mdterp01
Jun 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Hell TO THE No!!!! She is ranked #1 based on consistency over the past year, computer #1 and best player in the world are often different. This is one of those cases. REAL champions are able to step up in the moment, and she disappointed yet again in her third grand slam final.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
these three things are not the same:

being the best
playing the best
being ranked the best

Dinara was playing the best until today. She still is ranked the best in the world, but it's obvious (to most) that the best player in the world is(most major titles, +/= H2H over every player in the top 50...if I'm not mistaken...including EVERY active major champion).

Svetlana.
Jun 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
She is, except when it matters the most - slam finals.

Who else is better? Sveta? Based on this year performance she has one slam and one tear 1 win.

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Even when she was having her way with everyone on the clay, it still didn't feel right calling her the best in the world. It's the same with Mauresmo and Jankovic. I just never had confidence in any of them and felt they were at the top spot on borrowed time.

I think if I can isolate 'being the best' into a months time, then I'd feel more confident calling Safina the best- but over the course of any 52 weeks I've never felt Safina was the best in the world.

Slammer7
Jun 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Even when she was having her way with everyone on the clay, it still didn't feel right calling her the best in the world. It's the same with Mauresmo and Jankovic. I just never had confidence in any of them and felt they were at the top spot on borrowed time.

I think if I can isolate 'being the best' into a months time, then I'd feel more confident calling Safina the best- but over the course of any 52 weeks I've never felt Safina was the best in the world.

Truer words were never spoken. :worship:

mm1147
Jun 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
hell no

Svetlana.
Jun 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM

You are saying the obvious because there is "no one is the best" in the world at the moment. If Safina is there only after 13 month of a hard work than anyone can be there if they are dedicated and not lazy.

Slammer7
Jun 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM
You are saying the obvious because there is "no one is the best" in the world at the moment. If Safina is there only after 13 month of a hard work than anyone can be there if they are dedicated and not lazy.

WOW! Then there is still hope for Brie Whitehead.:p

Uranium
Jun 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Best? No. Most Consistent? Yes.

Archer16
Jun 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I usually don't like the "the WTA is a mess" threads whenever there are a few upsets and the line-up for the semis or the final is not purely top-10 or so. I'm also excited about some of the newer forces emerging in the last two years - Radwanska, Azarenka, Cibulkova, Wozniacki, Cornet (even if she's a bit slumping lately) - I like this group.

But #1 in the world is different, and when she looks like this on a slam final, there is something wrong with the state of the game itself. The cycle at the top spot didn't happen because of great tennis, but because no-one seems to handle the pressure of the "best player in the world" tag.
Ivanovic is quite bad this year, and has done next to nothing since winning the RG last year. She does not look like a future great (or a career slam winner) by any means.
Jankovic played well in the summer, and that includes the US Open, in which she was part of a good match against Serena; however, she took a big step backwards this season, whatever the reason might be (probably the ill-fated attempt to bulk up).

I really started to think Safina was different, that here is a #1 player that can deliver when it mattered most. How wrong was I. She didn't show up today - no movement, no gameplan, nothing. Saying the pressure got to her - for the 3rd time in a year and facing a player which isn't exactly known for her coolness in these stages herself - would be an understatement.
Safina deserves every credit for turning herself over a short period of time from just an another good player to a world no.1, beating every other top player in the process, but today was a major disappointment, and I'm saying that not as a fan of Safina, because I'm not, but simply as a tennis fan.

Which brings us to the title question - I don't know who is "best" right now. That adjective seems to scare the hell out of any female player who touches it.

Dave.
Jun 6th, 2009, 11:40 PM
She's still no.1 right? Ok she failed today and in all 3 of her slam finals but there are players who have done much better than her in slam finals but have poorer records than her from the past 52 weeks. The only fair way to balance it is by the rankings and currently Safina's results still outweigh everyone else. So she's still the best, although that doesn't really mean alot the way things are currently as it's all close at the top.