PDA

View Full Version : If Serena beats Safina in the final she won't be No. 1?!?!?

Paldias
May 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. If Serena and Safina both reached the final and Serena wins, Serena STILL won't be No. 1 despite winning 3 of 4 Slams and reaching the Finals of the 4th...

:o

CoolDude7
May 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
This is correct! However, i feel as if Serena doesn't really care for the smaller events(esp. at her age). Safina is really at the point in her career where she cares about all events. So you can't really be too upset.

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. If Serena and Safina both reached the final and Serena wins, Serena STILL won't be No. 1 despite winning 3 of 4 Slams and reaching the Finals of the 4th.....That seems unlikely.

But the ranking reward the most consistent performer over the best player.

calabar
May 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
But the ranking reward the most consistent performer over the best player.
...And that is what most people, particular those critisizing Serena's recent comments about who is the BEST player don't seem to get. As a V&S fan, I hope either one wins this (and every tournament they enter) tournament. But I suspect the WTA is quietly hoping this scenario won't come to fruition. Imagine being in the position of having to explain to the ignorant non-tennis world that winning the last 3 of 4 slams means you are still SECOND RATE.
Go Serena...Go Venus. You are still the best in my book...rankings be damned.

Paldias
May 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Has this ever happened in another sport?

Aaric
May 28th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. If Serena and Safina both reached the final and Serena wins, Serena STILL won't be No. 1 despite winning 3 of 4 Slams and reaching the Finals of the 4th...

:o

Yes cause she won´t have enough points
Anyway, she´s not reaching the final

Juanes
May 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM
if serena will lose today to Ruano-Pascuda..... will be she in slump? :tape::tape:

Slutiana
May 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
usually i'd say yeah, its a joke, but 4 straight losses... 4

ElusiveChanteuse
May 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Dina might still be #1 even Serena wins Wimbledon.:haha: provided she reach final losing to Serena?:p

Expat
May 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Dina might still be #1 even Serena wins Wimbledon.:haha: provided she reach final losing to Serena?:p

She just has to reach semi provided she reaches final in FO

Lucemferre
May 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Enough of these kind of threads :o

HRHoliviasmith
May 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Enough of these kind of threads :o

thank you! :worship:

AnnaK_4ever
May 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Roland Garros :
Serena -- champion, Safina -- runner-up
Wimbledon :
Serena -- champion, Safina -- semifinalist

Post-Wimbledon rankings :
1. Safina
2. Serena

Foot's Fingers
May 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Roland Garros :
Wimbledon :

1. Safina
2. Serena

:tape:

can't beleive even be more fan of Safina then Rena

PS Safina - SF at Wimbly - is this mission possible?

markhingis
May 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM
she won't be No. 1 cause of the 4 losses in a row. that's her fault...

DownTheLine21
May 28th, 2009, 03:27 PM
LOL. It is quite shocking that Serena could potentially hold all four GS and still not be No. 1. I hope that doesn't happen because it would certainly result in bad press for the tour.

AnnaK_4ever
May 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
PS Safina - SF at Wimbly - is this mission possible?

It depends on the draw. If she gets the one Dementieva had last year why not?

Dave.
May 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
This is correct! However, i feel as if Serena doesn't really care for the smaller events(esp. at her age). Safina is really at the point in her career where she cares about all events. So you can't really be too upset.

Certainly not. If she didn't care, she wouldn't play. :shrug:

Dave.
May 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Certainly not. If she didn't care, she wouldn't play. :shrug:

youizahoe
May 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I hope serena wins all 4. That will shut up the tour and everyone here that the rankings are even worse than before.

Geisha
May 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I brought this up in another thread. Serena held three of four majors in 2003 and wasn't number one.

I find it remarkable that she won't be number one if she wins Wimbledon though! Wow.

Destiny
May 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM
:yawn:

zxcVbnm88
May 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
so true... so sad....

CloudAtlas
May 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Serena has reached 1 Tier 1 final whereas Safina has won 2 and she'll have 2 F and 1 SF positions under her belt if this happens , not that bad really. Federer was still #1 after reaching SF of AO and losing to Nadal twice in a row in GS finals.

So yeah basically deal with it , it's not Safina's fault that Serena doesn't perform as well as her outside of Grand Slams.

AnnaK_4ever
May 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Serena has reached 1 Tier 1 final whereas Safina has won 2 and she'll have 2 F and 1 SF positions under her belt if this happens , not that bad really. Federer was still #1 after reaching SF of AO and losing to Nadal twice in a row in GS finals.

Check your facts. Federer lost in the Oz SF in 2008 when he was the reigning US and Wimbledon champion.

Expat
May 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Check your facts. Federer lost in the Oz SF in 2008 when he was the reigning US and Wimbledon champion.

I think s/he meant after Wimbledon 2008. One GS, two finals and one semi in place of 2GS for Nadal

serenus_2k8
May 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I hope Ree takes all 4 :drool: I wouldnt care!!

CloudAtlas
May 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Yeah , and then he lost to him in FO and Wimby finals and was still #1 after Wimbledon finished.

Renalicious
May 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Roland Garros :
Wimbledon :

1. Safina
2. Serena

Serena can hold all four slams in one time and still not be #1. :lol: Oh dear. :help:

AnnaK_4ever
May 28th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah , and then he lost to him in FO and Wimby finals and was still #1 after Wimbledon finished.

Roger lost his #1 rank a month after Wimbledon.
The comparison is incorrect anyway as Roger was a reigning slam (and TMC, btw) champion with Rafa holding "only" two slams whereas slamless Safina could be #1 with Serena holding three and even four slams.

serenus_2k8
May 28th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Should this happen, Serena would have beaten Dinara in 3/4 slams (excluding Wimb when she lost too early) which would be pretty :help:

Dave.
May 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Serena can hold all four slams in one time and still not be #1. :lol: Oh dear. :help:

Oh dear indeed, it would show how bad she has been on the regular tour that that could happen.

gmokb
May 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Serena winning the slam is good enough for me, Safina can always keep the #1 position for all I care.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 28th, 2009, 05:55 PM
well Safina has a MOUNTAIN of points to defend after Wimbly :shrug:

and given the choice, I'm 100000000% positive that Serena would rather hold all 4 majors than be #1.

Matt01
May 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM

That only shows how bad Serena was at the non-Slam events :tape:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM

well the fact that she has 2 zeroes on her ranking doesn't help either :shrug:

Matt01
May 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
well the fact that she has 2 zeroes on her ranking doesn't help either :shrug:

Only 2? LOL.

Bijoux0021
May 28th, 2009, 06:06 PM
she won't be No. 1 cause of the 4 losses in a row. that's her fault...
Some people forget that she was also injured. Anyway, she'll gladly take a Slam over the #1 ranking any day.

Lucemferre
May 29th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Roland Garros :
Wimbledon :

1. Safina
2. Serena

Very unlikely for Serena to win FO but if she holds all four majors and still be no2 :tape::tape::help::help: Something must be done then. Unlikely but :tape:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 29th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Very unlikely for Serena to win FO but if she holds all four majors and still be no2 :tape::tape::help::help: Something must be done then. Unlikely but :tape:

But those 4 majors would be the only 4 titles on her ranking :shrug: AO and USO are Ree's only titles in her ranking right now. If she did better last summer/fall or this spring, then she'd be #1 :shrug:

Since they're not going to bring quality points back or make the ranking a quotient of averages, it is what it is :shrug:...and like I said, if given the choice, I'm sure Serena would rather hold all 4 majors and be #2, than be #1 with 2 or 3 of them.

Dodoboy.
May 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM
If Serena held all 4 slams :rolls:

Who CARES about the #1 ranking!!

Lucemferre
May 29th, 2009, 09:57 PM
But those 4 majors would be the only 4 titles on her ranking :shrug: AO and USO are Ree's only titles in her ranking right now. If she did better last summer/fall or this spring, then she'd be #1 :shrug:

Since they're not going to bring quality points back or make the ranking a quotient of averages, it is what it is :shrug:...and like I said, if given the choice, I'm sure Serena would rather hold all 4 majors and be #2, than be #1 with 2 or 3 of them.

It would be the end of the current ranking system as far as credibility-which is already in question- if holder of all four majors wasn't the no1 player in the world :tape:

Uranus
May 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Go tell Serena that if she does care about being #1, she has to care about >4 events a year, then.

Galsen
May 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM

the hell with you even if it's not faulse. don't care about the ranking if she wins all the slams

MrSerenaWilliams
May 29th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Go tell Serena that if she does care about being #1, she has to care about >4 events a year, then.

Serena's said a MILLION times that she cares more about the majors than the ranking. :shrug: If she get's the #1 ranking as well it's a nice bonus. But honestly, the person holding 2 majors has the right to believe that she's the best player on tour despite the fact that she's ranked #2.

If she gets a third, then that for SURE would solidify her claim....if she gets a fourth....I mean, if someone held all 4 majors and wasn't #1, it would CERTAINLY make the ranking system look like a big fat joke.

But we who follow the sport know that Serena had 3 very bad patches over the past 52 weeks (Summer 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009). If fact, she's currently holding more doubles titles than singles :haha:

2moretogo
May 29th, 2009, 10:14 PM
If Serena held all 4 slams :rolls:

Who CARES about the #1 ranking!!

Exactly!

Besides outside of winning more non-slam matches, there is nothing Serena can do if Safina is going to perform well at the 150 events she enters. :devil:

But I have to say, if Dinara doesn't win this major (FO) I can see her falling back a little, but technically she has nothing to defend at Wimbledon so who knows? As a poster said earlier with the right draw she could find herself in the Semis (like her brother last year).

Galsen
May 29th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Serena's said a MILLION times that she cares more about the majors than the ranking. :shrug: If she get's the #1 ranking as well it's a nice bonus. But honestly, the person holding 2 majors has the right to believe that she's the best player on tour despite the fact that she's ranked #2.

If she gets a third, then that for SURE would solidify her claim....if she gets a fourth....I mean, if someone held all 4 majors and wasn't #1, it would CERTAINLY make the ranking system look like a big fat joke.

But we who follow the sport know that Serena had 3 very bad patches over the past 52 weeks (Summer 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009). If fact, she's currently holding more doubles titles than singles :haha:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Serena not #1 even if she wins Wimbly?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
her fault

Matt01
May 29th, 2009, 10:22 PM
the hell with you even if it's not faulse. don't care about the ranking if she wins all the slams

Huh?

Serena herself has said several times that she wants to be #1, so the rankings aren't totally irrelevant to her.

Galsen
May 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Huh?

Serena herself has said several times that she wants to be #1, so the rankings aren't totally irrelevant to her.

do you really think she wants to be #1 with Tier 1 and MMtournament or #2 and ALL GS? please even you , you have the right answer

serenus_2k8
May 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
People need to stop getting this confused.

Serena says the rankings dont matter - as she can still win titles with or without a good seeding.

She also says that she likes the fight for number 1 and being able to say shes number 1, which you can see in her interview yday at the French.

Uranus
May 29th, 2009, 11:40 PM
We know that. Still, Serena said she would like to be #1 as specified here, and added several times that she should be there instead of Safina because she is the best player in the world :shrug:.

joz
May 30th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Few of us deny she's the best player. Who else could show up to the Aussie Open two years ago so horribly out of shape... and still WIN!
But that fact is... Serena only cares about 4 tournaments a year... and that's why she's not number one right now. The system isn't broken. Serena's lack of commitment to the tour is the reason she's not number one.

Horizon
May 30th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Exactly, she was just on a losing streak of 4 matches in a row. She pulled out of 2 events too, giving her another 2 big zeros on her ranking. Is this exactly bahaviour / results that are going to earn her the top ranking?

When will people learn, if Serena wants the #1 ranking, she has to do more than just go out and win slams. 8000 points doesn't guarantee her the #1 spot, if she put in a bit more effort to more than 5 tournaments a year, she'd get somewhere. It's in her hands to be honest, I wouldn't critisize the WTA system, I would critisize Serena's lack of commitment. Not many people deny, when at her best, she is the best. Clearly then, she needs to be at her best more often. It's not a big ask.

Regardless, Serena will not win RG and Wimbly, so this situation will never happen.

What WOULD be interesting, would be if Dinara gave Serena a beatdown in the final on Saturday :lol: It won't happen either, but it would give the top spot a new perspective.

Svetlana.
May 30th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I really hope Safina can meet Serena in the FO final...

MrSerenaWilliams
May 30th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Regardless, Serena will not win RG and Wimbly, so this situation will never happen.
Don't be too sure :shrug: ;)

What WOULD be interesting, would be if Dinara gave Serena a beatdown in the final on Saturday :lol: It won't happen either, but it would give the top spot a new perspective.

That's the more unlikely of the 2 scenarios you posed. Serena's lost 3 out of 13 major finals and Dinara's lost both of the finals she's been in.

Serena's never lost in a major final to someone with a losing record in major finals.

Galsen
May 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM
you don"t realize that Serena is playing much better than before . she played well this year before Miami. Paris was her best tournament

AcesHigh
May 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM
If she loses, will you all stop bitching? :weirdo:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 30th, 2009, 01:57 AM
who is all? :shrug:

LUVMIRZA
May 30th, 2009, 02:04 AM
yeah....blah blah blah.....