PDA

View Full Version : Venus Defeated Safarova 6-7(5) 6-2 7-5

-jenks-
May 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Don't understand why it was deleted.

TomTennis
May 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I think all the 'racism' talk probably got it deleted.
The match deserves its own thread at least though - Well done Venus, great fight.

Paneru
May 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Great fight and win Venus! :yeah:

10 ace's
1 df
61% 1st serve
77% 1st serve points won
51% 2nd serve points won
41 winners
22 unforced errors
4/9 bp conversion
13/17 @ net

serenus_2k8
May 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I was so nervous! Congrats Vee, so glad you made it!

veryborednow
May 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM
OP's deeply confused. Probably has yet to realise they deleted the thread.

Anyway, best match of RG so far :worship:

Sam L
May 28th, 2009, 01:34 PM
YES! Let's go V! :D

Imperfect Angel
May 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Lucie :(
But good job Vee!:yeah:

Larrybidd
May 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Way to just get it done today Vee! Now let's pick it up on the return game. Vee missed too many returns (including flying 4 straight over the baseline in the 2rd set) for no particular reason. Luckily she served well enough.

CoolDude7
May 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Congrats Venus, however, it is sad that a good player like Safarova is now gone from the tournment because of the unbalanced draw... but that is how things go(next up another battle lol)

MLF
May 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Entertaining match with both players trying their best :yeah:

exoneuk
May 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Critical moments, upped her game, either would have deserved to win but in the end, Venus had more. A great final two sets, once Lucie had settled into it. The final set was very, very good. Williamses loving their battles right now :D And loving the Williamses battles right now! :D

:inlove:
May 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Best match since the US Open final. So elated that Venus managed to fight this one out. :sobbing:

bobbynorwich
May 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Good match by both, Venus in the end had too much firepower for Lucie. Onward and upward!

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I didn't get to see the first set. Wondered if it was Safarova haing one of her 'out of her mind' sets, or Venus playing bad. After the second set, I thought that the fist had just been The Juicy Miss Lucie having a good day. But the third set impressed me. From both players. Venus clearly isn't moving all that well on this surface. But she competed. (no real surprise) And Safarova has some seriously atomic stuff in that backhand. She cracked a bit under the pressure of the moment. But Venus is a notoriously difficult player to put away.

I don't see Venus winning this event, but the semis are concievable. Not likely, but ...

Dodoboy.
Match of the season/tournament!

What a tournie this is so far!

starin
Great Job Venus. Saving MP!!! :worship::worship:

Why that other thread was deleted is beyond me. OP already changed the title.

volta
May 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
it kinda reminded me of Venus vs Sprem Berlin 04

great match , even though i had mini heart attacks i loved it :lol:

Lucie :hug:

Vee :hearts:

Dodoboy.
May 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/p5/20090528/13/556711753.jpg

Libertango
May 28th, 2009, 02:03 PM
^Nice to see a pleasant exchange at the net. This match was too good to fill threads with nonsense racist talk. Let's keep it about the tennis.

Fantastic match! But I don't know how many of those my heart could take! :o

Szavay should be itneresting...

azinna
May 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Good to see Venus hitting some backhands with conviction at the end...

Robert-KimClijst
May 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Oh Lucie... :( :( Tough luck with darkness. Oh well, on to Wimbledon.

Good job to Venus though. Once again, she found a way to win after a break. We've seen it before. And her backhand was nice to watch.

2Black
May 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I haven't seen that type of mustard on a Venus backhand in a minute. Great Fighting Venus. She definitely didn't want to go home today.

LANGAM
May 28th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Good match Vee. Really nerve raking. But a good watch. Please make the next one straight forward.

zxcVbnm88
May 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Safarova hit 36 winners and 28 UE(+8 differential) but Venus came up with 41 winners with only 22 UE(+19)

good stats from both players

Sharapova's_Boy
May 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Lucie :sobbing:

Now let's hope for a Maria-Venus QF.

Kim's_fan_4ever
May 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I couldn't watch it :bigcry: Lucie, I'm proud of you anyway :hug:
Congrats mademoiselle Williams :yeah:

Marshmallow
May 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/p5/20090528/13/556711753.jpg

That is really cute to see, feel a bit sorry for Lucie NOW. I'd have hated her guts if she's have converted that Match-point. Better against other players, you have a LOT of talent.

Venus

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Nooj/e5229d50.gif (Sphenx ;))

Fantastif fight, fantastic intensity in the end. Too often Venus isn't able to pull these matches out, so it's fantastic she did and even better that she saved a MP.

Fabulous match, great entertainment, and good for the WTA!

The Dawntreader
May 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
How pumped was Venus when she won the second set!?:drool::lol:

'COME ON!'.

Fantastic stuff from both girls. RG is really turning up the quality.

gmokb
May 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I overslept and missed it.:bigcry::bigcry:I missed my Queen saving match point:bigcry:Anyway way to go Vee and good luck in the next round.:bounce:

Serenita
May 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
^Nice to see a pleasant exchange at the net. This match was too good to fill threads with nonsense racist talk. Let's keep it about the tennis.

Fantastic match! But I don't know how many of those my heart could take! :o

Szavay should be itneresting...
^^ not again! i was wonderiing why this thread was sooo empty.
How pumped was Venus when she won the second set!?:drool::lol:

'COME ON!'.

Fantastic stuff from both girls. RG is really turning up the quality.
And i missed the darn match :(

vwfan
May 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Great fight and win Venus! :yeah:

10 ace's
1 df
61% 1st serve
77% 1st serve points won
51% 2nd serve points won
41 winners
22 unforced errors
4/9 bp conversion
13/17 @ netthose are impressive stats. Venus appears to have played a good match and Lucie, too.

Can't wait to watch it now that it's over. :devil:

vwfan
May 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I couldn't watch it :bigcry: Lucie, I'm proud of you anyway :hug:
Congrats mademoiselle Williams :yeah:What a nice and respectable post. :worship:

Sorry about Lucie. Seems like she played well and too bad she got a tough draw while others wilth less talent and game are into the third round.

Cam'ron Giles
May 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Made me late for work...I was dressed had my bag and car keys in hand for over an hour...:lol:

vwfan
May 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM
That is really cute to see, feel a bit sorry for Lucie NOW. I'd have hated her guts if she's have converted that Match-point. Better against other players, you have a LOT of talent.

Venus

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Nooj/e5229d50.gif (Sphenx ;))

Fantastif fight, fantastic intensity in the end. Too often Venus isn't able to pull these matches out, so it's fantastic she did and even better that she saved a MP.

Fabulous match, great entertainment, and good for the WTA!:lol: love this post. would have sent a good rep your way, but you know the drill!

mm1147
May 28th, 2009, 03:38 PM
phew! what a match but great job venus

dicanio_michael
May 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Almost Win it, Safa.

moon
May 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM
felt bad for Lucie, but :D for Venus!

Optima
May 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Heartbreaker. :sad:

2Black
May 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Made me late for work...I was dressed had my bag and car keys in hand for over an hour...:lol:

Yo dude, me too. I sat back down & didn't move. And then after she won, went running out the door blaming Venus for making me late. :lol:

darkangel23
May 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Lucie :sad:

-VSR-
May 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Vee! :)

olympus28
May 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM
yeah:devil:

John.
May 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Venus :yeah:

Now beat Szavay :devil:

Optima
May 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Anyway, congratulations to Venus, the better player in the end. Hopefully this will give Lucie the confidence to finally get her career back on track, she has the talent, she just has to utilize it.

mckyle.
May 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I can't believe Venus closed out a close match!! Usually if it gets to 5-5, I'm betting against her :o Good job!!

Ciarán
May 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Lucie :awww:
Good try :hug:

V-MAC
May 28th, 2009, 04:55 PM
VENUS!!!!!!:rocker: :aparty: :bounce: :hearts:
This is right up there as one of my favourite Vee wins of the year so far even though I only managed to catch the match from 4-5 deuce in the final set but I was so impressed with Vee. She was showing unbelievable anticipation and that return winner to break for 6-5:hearts: Lucie hit some amazing shots too to save the first 3 break points in that game but it was like the Vee of old out there at the end with that steely determination to not give up the match when she so easily could have folded:worship: I just wish we had another day to savour the victory but back to work tomorrow Vee :bounce:

And huge respect for Lucie. It was nice to see her act so gracious at the net afterwards and smiling and waving to the crowds as she walked off the court. Now that is a great attitude to have:yeah:

Matt01
May 28th, 2009, 05:00 PM
It seemed like a good match.

Also nice to see a nice handshake at the end.

Cat's Pajamas
May 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Thank you Jesus! :worship: :sobbing:

Was this the first time Venus has saved a MP since Schnyder Stanford 05? :eek: :o

Sally Todd
May 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Heartbreaker. :sad:

Yes. I can't figure out if the fact these are my two fave players makes it more or less painful.

Lucie has now had match points against Venus and Serena without winning. She's beaten other top players, but no one fights like Venus and Serena.

Now Vee is up against my third fave player, Szavay. :mad: If Vee can make it out of this tough (and cruel to me:lol:) draw, I really hope she makes a serious run at the tournament. I know the odds are against her and her game isn't suited to Roland Garros, but she's been solid all year.

I'm very proud of Lucie. She is a great, gracious sport and a thrilling shotmaker. She more than deserves another strong result at a major. This year is about rebuilding and I hope she takes positives from this match after the initial disappointment.

High caliber match. The stats are extra impressive considering the fact these two were crushing the ball. It was downright maddening that The Tennis Channel ignored most of this match over a two-day stretch in favor of men's tennis (first set of Federer-Acasuso :o) and Glatch's loss to Puffball-Lino. :help:

:clap2: to both players.

WhatTheDeuce
May 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Nice, Venus. Glad she got through this, tough draw for a 2R but she hung on. Viva.

V's a star
May 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Anyone have the last to sets??? dam alarm didnt go off :sad:

Coffee&TV
May 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Lucie!!! :sobbing:

supergrunt
May 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Venus :yeah: !

cn ireland
May 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Well done to Venus for pulling through:yeah:!

sipnsurfMurph
May 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Go Venus!

H.A.M.
May 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
OK Venus. Seems like that was the ISH! :woohoo: *go to Planet Venus*

morningglory
May 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM
whew... my big 3 are all still alive... giving me some heart problems along the way... :o

debopero
May 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Venus Maria Quater-final!!!

winone23
May 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Great fight Venus!!!!

-Sonic-
May 28th, 2009, 09:21 PM
congrats, good fightback :)

Denise4925
May 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
:lol: The conversation was so much better in the other thread you closed Sonic, but whatev. :lol:

Go Vee :woohoo:

Dave.
May 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I was wondering what happened to the old thread :lol:

This was yet another fantastic match on the women's side this year. Really great quality stuff this year. Venus delivered under constant pressure, it came down to just a few points in the end. Had Lucie made that forehand she would have had 3 match ponts but I was very impressed with the simple 1-2 punch Venus executed when she was facing match point, Lucie did not have a chance on that and did nothing wrong there.

Looking ahead in her draw, I would love to see a Venus-Domi match in the 4R with the winner going all the way to the semis.

darrinbaker00
May 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I never thought I'd say this anytime soon, but the women are outplaying the men so far, even with the Ouanna-Safin masterpiece on the men's side of the ledger.

~Eclipsed~
May 29th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Wish I would have seen this or they would show it a little on the highlight show. :(

Anyway, great comeback Vee! :D

CrossCourt~Rally
May 29th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Awesome fightback VEE! :bigclap:

mykarma
May 29th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Awesome fightback VEE! :bigclap:
I tired to watch it on the tennis channel this evening but they showed the majority of the Federer match and the beginning and end of Venus match. So happy I don't pay extra for the tennis channel or I would have been pissed. I just upgraded my cable so not sure if they accidentally gave me the tennis channel or if they're just showing some matches to everyone.

~Eclipsed~
May 29th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I tired to watch it on the tennis channel this evening but they showed the majority of the Federer match and the beginning and end of Venus match. So happy I don't pay extra for the tennis channel or I would have been pissed. I just upgraded my cable so not sure if they accidentally gave me the tennis channel or if they're just showing some matches to everyone.

Tell me about it. This is getting really annoying that they aren't showing one of the best matches of the day. :fiery:

TennisViewer531
May 29th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Whew! Good job Venus!

jrollaneres25
May 29th, 2009, 02:12 AM

O hmy goodness. I'm a tennis instructor and today was my day to teach the kids forehands and backhands. I was 10 MINUTES LATE!! I couldn't leave my television set. My eyes were glued to the tv. I dunno if I can take anymore of this from Vee. I lost my voice yelling at the top of my lungs, "C'MON!!!!!!". "Let's Go VENUS!!!!" My voice is hoarse right now, I can barely even talk.:hysteric:

CoolDude7
May 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Good fight yesterday Venus, but today Anges was just too match. I am not even that upset because of this awesome match

-jenks-
May 29th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Why did Lucie have to lose!! :bigcry:

CoolDude7
May 29th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Why did Lucie have to lose!! :bigcry:

There is no reason to be upset. This will probably be the match of the tourny on the women's side. She played AWESOME.

Denise4925
May 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM

:haha: That was me.

But, I'm sad now. :sad:

darrinbaker00
May 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
:haha: That was me.

But, I'm sad now. :sad:
Why? It wasn't your fault Venus played like crap today. :shrug:

Denise4925
May 30th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Why? It wasn't your fault Venus played like crap today. :shrug:

No, but I'm sad she lost because of circumstances outside her control when she was in the best form possible, in my opinion, to make a run for the title.

Dave.
May 30th, 2009, 01:16 AM
No, but I'm sad she lost because of circumstances outside her control when she was in the best form possible, in my opinion, to make a run for the title.

I know how you feel. I felt sad when Lindsay lost the Wimbledon 05 final, having had to play the previous day when the other semi had been completed 2 days before. I felt it was her best chance to win it in a long time, having been in her best form, but instead she had a bit of bad luck there and ran into a player playing better than her on the day. These things happen. :sad: