PDA

View Full Version : Nadal surpassed Evert's 30 wins streak today at RG

LightWarrior
May 28th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I just hope he doesn't break - or even equal - her 7 RG wins. Those should not be tarnished.

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Actually he tied it... I wouldnt be surprised if he loss to hewitt ending 1 short of breaking both the consecutive RG titles and her record...

young_gunner913
May 28th, 2009, 01:08 AM
nadal and his booty will prevail. :hearts::drool:

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I just hope he doesn't break - or even equal - her 7 RG wins. Those should not be tarnished.

Nadal>>>Evert

Actually he tied it... I wouldnt be surprised if he loss to hewitt ending 1 short of breaking both the consecutive RG titles and her record...

:spit: You're joking, right?

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Nadal>>>Evert

:spit: You're joking, right?

yeah, i know wishful hoping.... if it were anyone other than hewitt who needs to hang up his racquets.... I really dont expect him to win this year though...I also dont think Federer is winning either though.

NeeemZ
May 28th, 2009, 01:22 AM
yeah, i know wishful hoping.... if it were anyone other than hewitt who needs to hang up his racquets.... I really dont expect him to win this year though...I also dont think Federer is winning either though.

Hewitt's still doing pretty well. If he's able to claw his way into the Top 50 after being outside the Top 100 this year, then i'd say that there's still a lot of fire burning in him. It's not like he's losing every week to some random.

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I can't think of anyone who will defeat Rafa. He's unbeaten at RG for a reason. He's never even been pushed to 5 sets. Last year, he didn't drop a set and only lost 4 games 4 times!! That's out of 21 sets! He's the surest bet you have in a very very very long time.

mckyle.
May 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Nadal>>>Evert

Have you seen Chris's stats? They're fucking scary :crying2:

Dave.
May 28th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Nadal>>>Evert

How exactly? Evert's position in the women's game FAR surpasses Nadal's in the men's and will probably remain that way even when Rafa is done. Same goes for their position as great claycourters and how dominant they were over their particular fields on this surface.

LightWarrior
May 28th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Exactly. How could anyone win 125 matches in a row a clay these days ? Not feasible.

Sir Stefwhit
May 28th, 2009, 01:59 AM
What Chrissie has achieved on clay is nothing short of spectacular. Far too often Chris doesn't get the attention her accomplishments deserve. She was my very first favorite tennis player, so she'll always have a special place in my heart. But even if Nadal breaks her records she'll still have the records for "female".

As a Rafa fan I'm all for him breaking every record made... a boy can dream. This year I think he might be a little more vulnerable than ever before. Rafa has went on record saying that his left knee is troubling him. He tweaked it during his 1st rnd. match, luckily it didn't seem to be an issue in his match today. If the knee acts up, he'll be vulnerable- so at this point there's no guarantees.

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/savethethread.jpg

mboyle
May 28th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Chrissie would have won more French Opens if she hadn't skipped what 3 or 4 of them...

AJZ.
May 28th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Chris Evert amazes me - she won 125 straight matches on the surface, lost to Tracy Austin in a third set tiebreaker, and then went on to win another 72 straight matches. That's a 197-1 record during a decade. AMAZING.

SM
May 28th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Chris Evert amazes me - she won 125 straight matches on the surface, lost to Tracy Austin in a third set tiebreaker, and then went on to win another 72 straight matches. That's a 197-1 record during a decade. AMAZING.
It's different these days, its hard to be consistent when you play someone like Azarenka , Lisicki etc playing lights out (power) tennis

VivalaSeles
May 28th, 2009, 02:44 AM
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/savethethread.jpg
Nice pic ;)

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Rafa is close to being the male GOAT on clay in the men's game and is probably on his way to becoming men's tennis GOAT overall.

I'll stand by what I said.. Rafa>>>Evert. You can't compare WTA stats to ATP stats.. you have to see what is comparable with each circuit and what RAfa is doing is unparalleled on the men's side.

Now if Rafa gets injured tomororw and never plays, of course i'll look like a fool. But he's 22 and only getting better.

Midnight_Robber
May 28th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I hope Rafa goes for it, but I just don't think that his shots are working as well as they usually do and he's not himself yet few of the commentators seem to notice...

I really, really hope that things click and start to fall into place for him soon. Because while I don't like Hewitt, he is a grinder and a in his hey-day was every bit of a fighter as Nadal, so Nadal can't rely on Hewitt cracking under pressure. He has got to be on his game.

Rolling-Thunder
May 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Any pics with Nadal w/o a shirt? And he does have a big fat butt. Dang...

choi15
May 28th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Rafa is close to being the male GOAT on clay in the men's game and is probably on his way to becoming men's tennis GOAT overall.

I'll stand by what I said.. Rafa>>>Evert. You can't compare WTA stats to ATP stats.. you have to see what is comparable with each circuit and what RAfa is doing is unparalleled on the men's side.

Now if Rafa gets injured tomororw and never plays, of course i'll look like a fool. But he's 22 and only getting better.

It's hard to compare Nadal with Bjorn Borg because of their era's and circumstances, but most likely Nadal is most likely going to overtake Bjorn Borg's in titles and GS on clay unless some freak accident happens--he's already very close.

But men's overall GOAT, I don't know. I know he is young and has time, but IMHO, I can't see his body holding up with his game for a very long time. I don't know, everytime I see him play, I feel like his body can give out on him at any point...he hasn't even won the US Open yet.

Justin
May 28th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Nice pic ;)

Sure is. :drool:

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2009, 04:19 AM
But men's overall GOAT, I don't know. I know he is young and has time, but IMHO, I can't see his body holding up with his game for a very long time. I don't know, everytime I see him play, I feel like his body can give out on him at any point...he hasn't even won the US Open yet.

They've been saying that for how long now? He can't continue with that playing style, he's going to break down. And then when he started having weird losses on hardcourts, they said that was a sign he was breaking down.. and that he couldnt play on hardcourts.

He's not stopping and he keeps improving. The man is a freak of nature and defies all our expectations. He has 6 slams at the age of 22. He'll probably win the French and that gives him 7.. he's a favorite in every slam he plays now. If he wins USO and YEC at some point, he may not even need 14 slams to be called GOAT. 12 or 13 may be enough with the career slam and RG-Wimby double and 12/13 is not that far our of reach for him with so many years left.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
May 28th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Rafa :bowdown:

Best claycourter ever

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 05:15 AM
After Agassi, and Sampras, and Federer, sometimes I forget to be impressed by Nadal.

But if you really stop and think about it, he may be literally the best tenis player EVER. Federer ain't over-the-ova.hill. But this is Chris Evert meet Martina Navratilova.

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Hrmm, I dont think he'll be the greatest ever, but i agree with everything else, you can compare the mens and womens games as far as statistics go... Maybe in a couple more decades as it seems the womens game is finally leveling out, but historically you only had 1 or 2 girls fighting it out which is why you have such lopsided results like Steffi with 24 slams... etc...

Sam L
May 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Hrmm, I dont think he'll be the greatest ever, but i agree with everything else, you can compare the mens and womens games as far as statistics go... Maybe in a couple more decades as it seems the womens game is finally leveling out, but historically you only had 1 or 2 girls fighting it out which is why you have such lopsided results like Steffi with 24 slams... etc...
No. The reason why you have Steffi Graf with 22 not 24 slams is because Monica Seles got stabbed.

And I can't believe my eyes. Talk of Nadal as the greatest ever?

Let's recap here shall we, he has 6 grand slam titles. Federer has 13 grand slam titles.

Yes, there's an age gap. So what? Martina Hingis won 3 slams as a 16-year-old, no one foresaw that she'd win her last as an 18-year-old.

Anything can happen. When Nadal hits 10, let's talk.

Dodoboy.
May 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
The pic :crying2:

In The Zone
May 28th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Surpassed means .. surpassed. Nadal MATCHED 30. :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 28th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Well he is the clay court great in Men's tennis. he was bound to match the clay court great in Women's game some day.

renstar
May 28th, 2009, 11:50 AM
How dare he try to beat Chrissies record! :lol: Well i doubt he will ever have her career win/ loss ratio of 98. something percent!

On a personal note I live in a small town in Australia and randomly played at a local club for a hit and the owner was a female tour player in the 70's. Since im such a big Chrissie fan I asked if she played her, and apparently she lost to Chris in 2 first rounds in Wimbledon, I was just like WOW hahah.