PDA

View Full Version : Should the RG organizers instruct the crowd to "behave"?

Broken Racquet
May 27th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Some players and fans complain about RG crowd behaving in a hmm... distracting way.

Do you think there should be done something about it or this should be treated as a part of the game - an additional challenge for players?

tonybotz
May 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
definitely part of the game.. its like if you want to win the u.s open you have to contend with the noise, the airplanes, the stink, etc...

friendsita
May 27th, 2009, 10:49 PM
french crowd is the worst crowd ever

Becool
May 27th, 2009, 10:57 PM
well how would they instruct?

vadin124
May 27th, 2009, 11:01 PM
this would make the crowd even more wild...

you must remember, the RG crowd is full of imbeciles with the morals of a caveman...

they don't respond to authority...they're a vulgar bunch of people and it will always be this way

Broken Racquet
May 27th, 2009, 11:09 PM
well how would they instruct?
Maybe "instruct" is not the most appropriate word. People who cause distraction might be just gently asked to leave the stadium.:cool:

Broken Racquet
May 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
But hey, they don't throw beer bottles like on soccer matches. Give them credit for that!:lol:

mapaliey
May 27th, 2009, 11:13 PM
poor safin...the crowd is evil....

Emina.
May 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
RG audience crowd should behave in a way so it doesn't distract the players.

Denise4925
May 27th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Behave in a way it doesn't distract the players.

Craig.
May 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
From what I saw of Maria's match today, the crowd seemed to be on her side :eek: :shrug: :lol:

DragonFlame
May 27th, 2009, 11:26 PM
No way. Leave it as it is, it creates such an atmosphere and challenging environnement. In my oppinion it's a good thing that players get tested mentally. It adds to what clay does. It's physically demanding, and at RG it's mentally demanding as well. It's topsport, players should learn to deal with it.

Denise4925
May 27th, 2009, 11:27 PM
definitely part of the game.. its like if you want to win the u.s open you have to contend with the noise, the airplanes, the stink, etc...

That's weird, because when I was at the US Open, I didn't experience any of those things. :confused: It was a very enjoyable and pleasant experience. I can't see how it's any less for the players there.

DragonFlame
May 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM
That's weird, because when I was at the US Open, I didn't experience any of those things. :confused: It was a very enjoyable and pleasant experience. I can't see how it's any less for the players there.

That's because you yourself stink. :tape:

Broken Racquet
May 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM
It adds to what clay does.

...so it is like plunging in the dirt both physically and mentally ;)

DragonFlame
May 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
...so it is like plunging in the dirt both physically and mentally ;)

hehe, something like that. Grinding it out, going for the limits. ;) I love tennis like that. :D

Just like the australian heat.(until the damn roof closed)

Or at wimbledon: the wierd bounces, slippery grass, mentally draining raindelays.

Usopen: The atmosphere of arthur ashe, especially the night matches that go on till in the night.

All slams have certain things that test the players in a different way. The crowd is just part of RG. Without the involved french atmosphere RG just wouldn't be RG anymore. :(
We get classic matches that no one forgets because of these atmospheres!

GracefulVenus
May 27th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I certainly don't agree with the way the crowd behaved when they made Serena cry, that was just ridiculous. But on the same token I wouldn't change a thing. It's part of Roland Garros whether players or fans like it or not. Every slam has thier uniqueness about them. The crowd and clay of Roland Garros makes this event unique.

viva11
May 27th, 2009, 11:59 PM
love the french crowd
its what makes the atmosphere all the more challenging and exciting

bobbynorwich
May 28th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Tennis is better with the noisy exuberance of RG rather than the silent indifference of other crowds, like Rome's.

Paris http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_jumping-w00t.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

Rome :yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:

switz
May 28th, 2009, 12:19 AM
yes. i'm sure that will work :o

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I think the only thing that they need to refrain from is the wave in between games and sets... If they want to do it between matches, thats one thing....

LightWarrior
May 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM
What is funny is that Safina will never get booed at RG. She's like a nobody with a boring game to watch, but still won't get booed. But they will boo Sharapova, Serena...The French crowd is absolutely distasteful and unfair and unpredictable.

RenaSlam.
May 28th, 2009, 01:18 AM
They are what they are.

LightWarrior
May 28th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Tennis is better with the noisy exuberance of RG rather than the silent indifference of other crowds, like Rome's.

Paris http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_jumping-w00t.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

Rome :yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:-:yawn:

Ther were 3 people in the crowd. How noisy can it be ?

slamchamp
May 28th, 2009, 01:19 AM
the french crowd is unique:lol:

Direwolf
May 28th, 2009, 01:23 AM
should behave like a tennis match
not a football match
not a chess match

Malva
May 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Some players and fans complain about RG crowd behaving in a hmm... distracting way.

Do you think there should be done something about it or this should be treated as a part of the game - an additional challenge for players?

Yes, tennis public should behave, decent behavior of tennis public is part of the game of tennis. Tennis, after all, is not football, not track & field athletics, not boxing.

comfortably.numb
May 28th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Gah, I voted wrong on the poll. Anyway, the French crowd is uncouth. While they are incredibly annoying, I'm starting to look forward to figuring out which player they'll berate. It's exciting. Especially when said berated players win and rub it into the crowd's face. Nothing better than watching the pouting, pissed faces in the crowd and hearing smattering applause as a berated player celebrates a well earned victory. :drool:

Dawson.
May 28th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Booing and jeering is unacceptable. The players are putting on a show for the crowd, they should show more respect - and sometimes it’s completely unjustifiable (Safin today for example). Everything else is fair game.

Justin SW
May 28th, 2009, 01:28 AM
French Crowd is a Whore!

partbrit
May 28th, 2009, 03:35 AM
The crowd should enjoy itself, but there is a line. When a crowd interferes with play or becomes abusive, it's time to stop it.

pepaw
May 28th, 2009, 03:39 AM
i love the fickle-ness (?) of the french crowd. theyre exciting and so into it. makes for an amazing environment.

Londoner
May 28th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Without the crowds there would be no tournaments and no Tour. The crowds have paid to go and see a sporting event. Football and Rugby crowds don't sit in silence like an audience at the opera so why should a sporting crowd? That's the whole point of watching sport to get excited and let off steam - something the ancient Romans and Greeks did centuries ago! The best players can win in any atmosphere - in fact it makes it even more nailbiting and tests the players even more. A great champion is one who can deal with the crowd - Steffi Graf 99?!

Take away the crowds' excitement and you have killed the sport.

Londoner
May 28th, 2009, 04:23 AM
French Crowd is a Whore!

The players are closer to being whores than the crowd because it's the players who take the money! The crowd are the players' clients!

WowWow
May 28th, 2009, 04:27 AM
The players are closer to being whores than the crowd because it's the players who take the money! The crowd are the players' clients!

:lol:

The crowd stays the way they are:drool:

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 04:31 AM
When the crowd is against you and you win, it's not any sweeter. 'Sweet' is too easy. It's ...... something American English doesn't have a word for. Unless 'If you want some, come get some' counts as a word. The crowd MAKES Roland Garros what it is. Like the jet noise at the US, and the heat, shrimp and beer at OZ. Tell them to be quiet? HELL no. Personally, I would AMPLIFY them. If you can't play unless the crowd is polite, wait for Wimbledon.

'Course, if you're that soft, you'll never win Wimbledon either.

woosey
May 28th, 2009, 05:16 AM
during his match today with ouanna, safin put his hand up to his ear as if to say, 'sure boo me. louder. louder. who gives a fvck."

i agree. who gives isht.

Volcana
May 28th, 2009, 05:19 AM
during his match today with ouanna, safin put his hand up to his ear as if to say, 'sure boo me. louder. louder. who gives a fvck."

i agree. who gives isht.Cause Safin's a stud. He's only sane compared to Ivanišević, but he comes to fight, not play tiddly-winks.

Lulu.
May 28th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Option 2. RG wouldn't be the same without the loud crazy crowd.

bandabou
May 28th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Nah...sometimes it can be fun. You just have to laugh it off. When a ball is clearly out and no call is made, you point at the mark..they start booing. Tjaa..what can you do?! :lol:

Ellen Dawson
May 28th, 2009, 08:23 AM
If a player can't tolerate "Crowd reactions are part of the game and nothing needs to be done about it", then they need to choose another profession. Tennis fans amaze me sometimes with their expectations. It partially explains why the sport isn't as popular as, say, soccer.

TennisViewer531
May 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
They should instruct the crowd in such a way that they won't get thrown at.. lol

markdelaney
May 28th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Personally I'd shoot the first cretin who does that horrible "eeeeuuuurrr" sound and take it from there.