PDA

View Full Version : Can Sharapova win this year's French Open?

Lin Lin
May 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM
She beats one of the best clay court players and she is now very hungry for this title,on the other hand,no player now is in a so solid form and can say she would surely beat Sharapova,so,I think Sharapova has a very very good chance to win here,what do you think?:confused:

Rollo
May 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I love Maria, but she has little to no chance of winning the French. It's her worst surface AND she's just coming back.

Good win over Petrova though:)

The Kaz
May 27th, 2009, 03:26 PM
no

goldenlox
May 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM
In her section the high seed is Li, who's never had a great major.
It looks like she can make the QF and if she's healthy there's no one playing Henin type clay tennis here.
So it's not impossible.
But the USO and 2009 AO are more likely if she stays healthy

Aravanecaravan
May 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I doubt she wanted to do much more here than get some matches under her belt and shake off some rust before grass court season.

But if she wins a couple more she will start thinking about it, and you know she will compete as hard as anyone. You can't rule it out, but it would be a longshot.

Expat
May 27th, 2009, 03:28 PM
She will be lucky to make the quarters. This is her worst surface. If it happens it will be a great day for Maria and a day of shame for the entire WTA tour.

Libertango
I have this big feeling that she's going to play Dinara in the semi's, and the winner of that will take it all. Just a feeling...

Sharakim
On paper it's unlikely. But you never know. I think Maria will have a great showing at this FO, she might make it as far as the quaters or the semi-finals. I don't think she has the form to beat someone like Safina just yet...but I hope I'm wrong. :)

Noctis
May 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM
JINXED LIN LIN WILL GET 1000 BAD REPS ON HER WAY :hug:

homogenius
May 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
She beats one of the best clay court players and she is now very hungry for this title,on the other hand,no player now is in a so solid form and can say she would surely beat Sharapova,so,I think Sharapova has a very very good chance to win here,what do you think?:confused:

It's seems hard to live in China and stay mentally healthy ? :shrug:(j/k)

Lin Lin
May 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM
JINXED LIN LIN WILL GET 1000 BAD REPS ON HER WAY :hug:

:smash:I didn't say Zheng Jie would win R2,but she still lost:o

darkangel5452
May 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM
shut the fuck up:o

SvetaPleaseWin.
May 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM
good win over petrova given that shes been out forever, but beating petrova does not equal contender for RG at all

WIMBLY2004
May 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Are you trying to jinx her or what? :rolleyes:

Lin Lin
May 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM

This post exactly proves that you are mentally ill;)Go to see a doctor,friend:wavey::hug:

shaktincredible
May 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
she had a good wins over petrova, but i'm not sure she can beat better clay court player like safina or kuznetsova. she will stop in quarter as i predicted before. no way she's gonna lose to asian players like li na in 4R ,because asian players are sucks on clay.

mboyle
May 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM

REPPED! LMAO

Rumkin
May 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
erm...one match at the time ok :o and her winning RG this year is too much to ask and likely not going to happen.

propi
May 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I think she's not fine yet, she will for Wimbledon, what I guess was her main goal to come back now; but don't see her winning playing 3 setters :)
It's amazing her tenacity though, beating Nadia on clay is not easy at all so kudos to her :worship:

Chris 84
May 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
In her section the high seed is Li, who's never had a great major.
It looks like she can make the QF and if she's healthy there's no one playing Henin type clay tennis here.
So it's not impossible.
But the USO and 2009 AO are more likely if she stays healthy

2009AO? :eek:
Sharpie has a time machine? :p

Her draw is very weak, she always had a chance of going deep, though i doubt she can win it.

mboyle
May 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
On topic, if she makes the quarters, I think she has a good chance (maybe 40%) against Venus, if Venus gets there, and a better than 50% chance against anyone else.
Safina is playing amazing tennis, to be sure, but Sharapova is a better tennis player at her best, and mentally tougher. I'd give Maria about a 30% chance in that match. Ivanovic has actually been looking really hot and might take out Safina though. I'd like to think Maria matches up well against Ana. I'd give her maybe a 40% chance there.
In the final, I'd give her about a 40% chance against Kuznetsova or Serena, 50% against others.

Given that I think there's about an 80% chance she'll make the quarters, I'd say there's about a 5% chance she'll win, or roughly double the chance the average person in the field has--not bad, but Ivanovic and Safina are looking the best right now.

DownTheLine21
May 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I don't think she will win this tournament, but I wouldn't rule out a QF or even SF appearance.

Philbo
May 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
She has a snowballs chance in hell of winning the whole thing.

Shameful end of the match by Nadia and a perfect example of why she will never win a slam. She doesnt have the mind to be a champion...

HRHoliviasmith
May 27th, 2009, 03:44 PM
ugh. :rolleyes:

Lin Lin
May 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Don't be furious,friends,let's see:)

Cp6uja
May 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
No... but her draw to QF round is wide open now (Li is very dangerous), which will be great start of season if happens.
Also... she is finally in love with Paris (Crowd) which is IMO good for her future results here.

Winning Scenario (5%):
- She must to beat Na Li and Venus to reach semifinal (which will not be easy for sure).
- Ana Ivanovic to beat Safina in QF, but her knee will not be at least 50% ready in Semifinal after big QF fight vs Dinara.
- To play in final vs some of WTA most famous "Bridesmades" (which is actually very possible) - Jelena/Elena/Sveta

Ksenia.
May 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
It is Wim'04, USO'06, AO'08 and RG'10, remember? :shrug:

Andreas
May 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
No, what a silly question.
Petrova is in horrible form, and beating her 8-6 in the 3rd suddenly makes you a favourite?

I'd love seeing her win, but no way she is going to.

faboozadoo15
May 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Probably not. She'll do really well to make the QF or the SF.
That said, in a semi, Dina and Ana aren't infallible.

Bayo
May 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Murphy Jensen predicted a Maria V. Serena final.

Not that I agree (in the slightest), but that would be a hell of a lot more entertaining than what I expect to happen.

Jarl_02
May 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM
It's too soon to tell. She has big chances to reach QF and no matter who she plays there, it'd be a tough match. I hope she wins it, but it'd really hard

Ryan
May 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I'm gonna say no, pretty emphatically. I'm pumped she's played well enough to win two matches, and her shoulder's held up in 6 sets on clay, but she's not winning the title. She could definitely make the 4th round against Na, but Na would have to play really bad to lose that IMO (completely possible haha).

So if Maria makes the QF's, she's playing Lucie, Venus, Cibulkova, Szavay, Dulko or ALG.

Any of those players could take our Maria on clay. I'd give Maria the "edge" against ALG or Szavay...but I think if any of the other players come out of the section they'd beat Maria. Venus is quicker and in better shape than Maria right now, I'd give her an edge. Lucie is a great player, very streaky...so I guess I'd say 50/50. Dominika has played well so far, and on red clay, especially if its cold/wet, would be really tough to beat for a player like Masha IMO. Dulko is a great claycourter, with too much hustle to lose...

Bottom line is she'd be in TOUGH if she makes the Quarters, but it'd be possible for her to make the Semis I guess. Against Dinara/Ana/Vika, I'd give her no chance.

RenaSlam.
May 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
She's already played six sets on clay, I don't think she'll even reach the SF here.

Stranger things have happened, but Maria will not get past the QF.

lilimi
May 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM
did nadia played well?

unknowndiamond
May 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM
to soon to talk about this,let's wait till she make SF.

InsideOut.
May 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Ivanovic has actually been looking really hot

Of course :drool::worship::hearts:

:p

To answer the question - no. She played well to beat Nadia but it's not RG-winning form.

Joe.
May 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM
i can see masha reaching the semis but im sure she cant beat dinara ;)

jdog3008
May 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
i can see masha reaching the semis but im sure she cant beat dinara ;)
Dinara=2009 FO champ :fiery:
Please, someone upset her.

vadin124
May 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
it's an odd year, so no...

SAEKeithSerena
May 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM
sharapova has been to a few semifinals here.

she is NOT injured, she is extremely healthy and in shape. she absolutely can win it.

H.A.M.
May 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM
NUUH UUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHH

Not this. Enough already with this kind of thread. She's just coming back, stop the junxing people! :o Just take it step by step for God's sake!

volta
May 27th, 2009, 04:44 PM
sharapova has been to a few semifinals here.

she is NOT injured, she is extremely healthy and in shape. she absolutely can win it.
1 :unsure:

anyway , everybody can the question is will she?

vadin124
May 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM
well yes there is no doubt she has the ability to win the tournament this year...she's just too short on match practice

JolinA
May 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Lin Lin :hearts:

This is why I love Lin Lin :lol:

chuvack
May 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Masha was gifted a nice draw, but she lose to the first in-form non-choking player she faces. QF is the end of the line.

Juanes
May 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
wake up!!! she will lose with Shvedova now... ;) :p

come on YARA!!! kick her ass!

Russianboy
May 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
No, what a silly question.
Petrova is in horrible form, and beating her 8-6 in the 3rd suddenly makes you a favourite?

I'd love seeing her win, but no way she is going to.

I think u havent seen petrova playing in set 2 and 3 :weirdo:

she was hitting some amazing winners, and her serve was on fire

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2009, 11:37 AM
No, simply no

JolinA
May 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I think u havent seen petrova playing in set 2 and 3 :weirdo:

she was hitting some amazing winners, and her serve was on fire

Agree.

And her movement was really good too, especially comparing to Maria's, I was thinking Masha's over. But she made it.

Nalla
May 28th, 2009, 11:51 AM
hmm.. let me think..mmm.. NO!! :)

Lin Lin
May 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Lin Lin :hearts:

This is why I love Lin Lin :lol:

MMYJ:mad:

Uranium
May 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM
No.

Emina.