PDA

View Full Version : RG R2: Rezai def. Hercog 3-6 6-4 6-2!

Kipling
May 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
What a beautiful fight back from Aravane! Her returns were spectacular in set 3! SHe looked sluggish early, but really woke up in set 2.

Keep going, you beauty!

Must add--Hercog definitely gained a fan today. Was impressed with her composure for a 17 year old. She has a nice game. We haven't heard the last from her.

Andreas
May 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Polona should have won this. If just she hadn't choked. She turned from superb to awful :sad:

Still a good GS debut.

homogenius
Nice reaction after the loss of the first set and she really raised her level in the 3rd.Finished with an ace on MP.
Next match is winnable too.

TheBoiledEgg
great comeback Aravane ;) :D :)

Temperenka
May 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM
She has very happy, it was a great post-match to watch. :yeah:
Good luck to her in the next round!

frenchie
I'm a new fan of Polona

I just love her name, her game and her beautiful look (she gave me a hard stick!)

Kipling
I'm a new fan of Polona

I just love her name, her game and her beautiful look (she gave me a hard stick!)

TMI.

Calliope.
Polona :sad: :hug:
Congrats Aravane :D

RenaSlam.
Nice win for the Frenchwoman.

Andreas
May 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
TMI.

Could not agree more.

homogenius
May 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Aravane said that she was playing a great player who wasn't there by accident and she was really happy to get the win.
She was talking like a veteran lol : "she'll be part of the future of tennis.She has a big serve, big fh and I'm really happy to beat a youngster today".

Marcelo.
May 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Aravane :banana: :inlove: :inlove:

igralec33
May 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Polona played great in first set but in 2nd and 3rd set she did so many mistakes. And Aravane played very well in 2nd and 3rd.

Still good tournament, Polona! :yeah:

améliemomo
what a fighter aravane is:worship:

and finishing with an ace:drool::cool:

good luck in next round!

CooCooCachoo
Phew, Aravane :yeah:

Unfortunately didn't get to see this, but I am really excited to get to see Hercog.

Alizé Molik
May 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM
yey aravane back in top 50 :D

Paris75
May 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Superb Aravane !! :) So happy she was still focused no matter how bad she was playin in the first set !!
Great 3rd set ! Now, rest !!

Congratulations !! :hearts:

Iceland
May 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Aravane :banana:

She's such an adorable girl, she was all smiles after this win but I'm glad she showed her temper on the court to fight back. Sure she never managed to play her game, hence her low amount of winners. Polona managed to neutralize her game at the perfection using top spin and slice. For me, she is the youngster to follow: she is smart, powerful and has the maturity of an experienced player. I was already so impressed when I watched her in qualies. Seeing a 17 yo girl using slice, dropshot and serve&volley is not so common and really refreshing. She was too exhausted to survive in the 3rd set and Aravane did her best to put pressure on her.

Well done to Polona, I wish her all the best :hug:.

Renaissance
May 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Polona really impressed me today , big forehand, big serve,such a variety in her shots, she reallt needs to improve her backhand and her physical condition and she will be a top 20.:)
Congrats Aravane hope you win your next match.:kiss:

Ciarán
May 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Aravane :bigclap:

number_six
May 27th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Polona :sad:

Uranus
May 27th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Too bad, Polona :sad:.

darkangel23
May 27th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Aravane :yeah:

Polona had a bp for 4:2 in the second!

*Jean*
May 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Polona :sad: But great tournament! I'm glad Aravane is now in the 3rd round now!

WhatTheDeuce
May 27th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Great job Aravane :hearts: Awesome fight against a really stubborn opponent :yeah:

Lulu.
May 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Good job Aravane. :yeah:

Kipling
May 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Great job Aravane :hearts: Awesome fight against a really stubborn opponent :yeah:

I Heart Mimi, did you manage to record this one? I only saw the second set and I'd really like to see the 3rd...

:wavey:

LOL, yes, I was able to get this one. I'm at work until 5 but this evening I will record and encode the third set. Hopefully I can get it up at some point tomorrow, though someone else may upload the whole thing before then. But I will start it this evening.

rrfnpump
May 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Not impressed with Polona at all. :shrug: Also, I think her looks are totally overrated.

Saw her beating Kleybanova on monday and Kleybanova was crap. Polona has not much firepower and her FH is not exactly the most beautiful shot. Plays pretty smart though.

Elwin.
May 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Aravane :D :yeah:

Natash.
May 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Polona :hug: Really nice fight. Was really impressed by the way you played today and hope you do well at Wimbledon! :) Finally starting to come into her own.

Aravane :) Good work.

Derek.
May 27th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Polona had this one. :(

Juju Nostalgique
May 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Polly :hug:

pcrtennis
May 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Hercog is very very talented...she really made Rezai look very one-dimensional and slow...unfortunately she couldn't hold it together. But she certainly has a brighter future than Rezai...

Kipling
May 27th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hercog is very very talented...she really made Rezai look very one-dimensional and slow...unfortunately she couldn't hold it together. But she certainly has a brighter future than Rezai...

:rolleyes:

Ever consider that Rezai might have been from playing 7 matches in a little over a week? When Aravane started playing better in set 2, she ran away with it, winning 12 of the final 16 games. Her returns were impeccable in set 3. Hercog is a good player, but to make that comment out of what comes across as poor sportsmanship is uncalled for. You don't win a WTA tour event by being "one-dimensional and slow"....

iPatty
May 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Both of them played at a high level in the first couple of sets but Rezai showed why she won a WTA title last week by raising her game just as she sensed Hercog was slowing down a bit. A very nice match to watch, with lots of sportsmanship and shot-making from both ends of the court. I can't say anything about Hercog that hasn't been said before, but watching her today just reinforced my belief in her that I saw at Wimbledon last year in doubles.

Rezai is really coming into her own finally and fighting really hard to win these tough matches. I hope she can put down the screamer on Friday.

FORZA SARITA
May 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
polona :(

Kipling
May 28th, 2009, 01:13 PM
As requested earlier in this thread, here's the third set of Rezai v Hercog:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I8D6Q6OA