PDA

View Full Version : BBC/Eurosport/Sky Sports/ESPN/TTC- Etc - Coverage, Moan Thread !!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

TheBoiledEgg
May 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
just get all the complaints about shitty TV coverage in one thread

right now Brit ES showing a match between two non-entities
F Lo vs Tipsarevic :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

should be showing Masha
good thing for BBCi :worship:

RenaSlam.
May 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thank god for TTC. :worship:

Ryan
May 27th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Here in Canada we're getting Aussie coverage I think? Like last year. I swear to god, if they don't show Ana's match or Nadia/Maria...I'll kill someone. I do NOT want to see tape-delayed Murray, or Simon, or FLo and Tipsy. :fiery:

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM
My TV now shows Ana... but at the same time its Petrova vs Maria...

I am killing myself which one to watch!

Dave.
May 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM
BBCi showed Simon vs Kendrick instead of Ana vs Tammy :bigcry:

Ryan
May 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
WHAT THE FUCK. They're showing tape delayed Murrary, from that start. :sobbing: FML.

Marilyn Monheaux
May 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM
WHAT THE FUCK. They're showing tape delayed Murrary, from that start. :sobbing: FML.

That's evil:awww:

Kim's_fan_4ever
May 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Maria-Nadia on ES International :shrug:

Ryan
May 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I found streams showing Ana and Masha, so I'll survive. I like men's tennis, just not TAPED shit when there's live stuff going on.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I hate tsn showing murray full tape delayed when sharapova is playing petrova in waht is suppose to be a good match :mad:

gmokb
May 27th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I can't believe just how poor the coverage is, its almost as if there a rule against showing live matches. I have two sports channels, TSN and TSN2 and both are showing delayed matches. One is showing Murray and the other Maria. I would think at least Nadal's match would be live as they tend to show mainly ATP matches anyway. This is just dumb:devil:

mckyle.
May 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
my coverage is pretty great :) i've watched so many matches this week...

Lucas_Arg
May 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Here in Argentina it's great.
They broadcast the big names (WS, Safina, Sharapova, Federer, Nadal) and of course the local players.
I can't complain this year.

cellophane
May 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I don't understand why TSN is showing everything on tape delay? :confused: Or is it the Aussie channel?

Edinboro
May 27th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Nadal is on ESPN2

helio_c
May 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
direct tv's coverage is good. They have 4 channels showing RG and also ESPN Latin America. So 6 channels... cant complain

vadin124
May 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
well here in Britain...EVERYTHING is interrupted for Andy Murray...even his warm-up...

we are replayed his matches every single rain delay...it could be 21-all in the final set and british eurosport would STILL switch to just watch Murray warm up!

god i can't wait for that vile creature to lose...allez Tipsarevic!!!

but yea, you think it's annoying for you :(

Ryan
May 27th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I don't understand why TSN is showing everything on tape delay? :confused: Or is it the Aussie channel?

It's the Aussie channel. TSN doesn't care enough about tennis to pick which matches they show, I guarantee. We pay to use the Aussie's coverage of RG, and we see what they air I think. It's TSN's fault they didn't get us the TC coverage. :p

cellophane
May 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well, last year, the Aussie channel showed everything live. So I don't know what happened this year. Annoying.

XaDavK_Kapri
TSN's coverage is really horrible.
Thank God I have RDS :angel: Only LIVE coverage from 9am. :)

Aravanecaravan
In general, TTC and ESPN do an inadequate job of covering the slams, IMO. Their philosophy seems to be to present a package of entertainment over a 6 hour window, rather than cover the tennis. All sorts of features, interviews and debate sessions between commentators, with bits and pieces of a few different matches thrown in. Matches are shown highly edited and condensed down to what they deem the "best parts". I guess that doesn't say much about the perceived attention span of Americans. Also, amongst the women, there are only about 6 players they'd even consider showing.

I never really realized how poor their coverage was until watching my first slam with the Dish Network 6-channel Mosaic this week. Boy, is that ever a Godsend. It's the coolest thing ever. The only "downside" is having to choose which two channels to record simultaneously.

V's a star
May 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
as i always say tsn=shit. What happen to the espn coverage we had the 1st day? now were back to the welfare aussie channel

serenus_2k8
May 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
well here in Britain...EVERYTHING is interrupted for Andy Murray...even his warm-up...

we are replayed his matches every single rain delay...it could be 21-all in the final set and british eurosport would STILL switch to just watch Murray warm up!

OTT much? We have BBCi and ES, so not only is there live coverage all day, we even get a match choice :drool: Its awesome! And just as you think it cant get better, we get all the grass court events and choice of 5/6 courts come Wimbledon - we even get to see the juniors :bounce:

ptkten
May 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM
In general, TTC and ESPN do an inadequate job of covering the slams, IMO. Their philosophy seems to be to present a package of entertainment over a 6 hour window, rather than cover the tennis. All sorts of features, interviews and debate sessions between commentators, with bits and pieces of a few different matches thrown in. Matches are shown highly edited and condensed down to what they deem the "best parts". I guess that doesn't say much about the perceived attention span of Americans. Also, amongst the women, there are only about 6 players they'd even consider showing.

I never really realized how poor their coverage was until watching my first slam with the Dish Network 6-channel Mosaic this week. Boy, is that ever a Godsend. It's the coolest thing ever. The only "downside" is having to choose which two channels to record simultaneously.

I don't agree. I think the TTC and ESPN have done an excellent job covering the event. Yeah, they tend to show the big names more often but until the TTC came along we certainly wouldn't have seen Wozniacki, Radwanska, Simon, Jankovic, Tsonga, etc. play. Plus we get uninterrupted coverage from first ball until the the last point. That doesn't even happen with the U.S. Open where there often isn't coverage from 5pm to 7pm.

The only thing I'm dissapointed about is no court choice without direct tv :(

Ciarán
May 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM

BBC make me hate Murray :tears:

mckyle.
May 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM

TTC internet streams are seriously amazing :shrug:

vadin124
May 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
OTT much? We have BBCi and ES, so not only is there live coverage all day, we even get a match choice :drool: Its awesome! And just as you think it cant get better, we get all the grass court events and choice of 5/6 courts come Wimbledon - we even get to see the juniors :bounce:

yes but i'm just saying, SOMETIMES it can be very annoying with overratedurray's dominance of coverage here...

but yes, bar Monday, the coverage has been very good...

Monday was ridiculous, 1 WTA match and 5 ATP matches...i was THIS close to complaining...hate hate hate ATP!

*Jean*
May 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
France Télévisions shows only ATP matches, except match points and small coverage of WTA French players.
Eurosport France is okay.

Godis
May 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM

lol...the same thing happens when Roddick plays.

cellophane
May 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM
TSN's coverage is really horrible.
Thank God I have RDS :angel: Only LIVE coverage from 9am. :)

Luck you. No RDS here... can't even find a decent stream for Safin's match.

Aravanecaravan
May 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I don't agree. I think the TTC and ESPN have done an excellent job covering the event. Yeah, they tend to show the big names more often but until the TTC came along we certainly wouldn't have seen Wozniacki, Radwanska, Simon, Jankovic, Tsonga, etc. play. Plus we get uninterrupted coverage from first ball until the the last point. That doesn't even happen with the U.S. Open where there often isn't coverage from 5pm to 7pm.

I must have missed those then. Every match I've seen on TTC has either been interrupted by switching between courts or edited. I think they probably do a better job on the men's matches, but with the women, forget it. They like to jump around from court to court way too much for my taste.

Aravanecaravan
May 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
TTC internet streams are seriously amazing :shrug:

I'm talking about the TV coverage. The streams are what are being shown on Direct TV and Dish Network, which is what I was talking about. The TTC network coverage is very fragmented, IMHO.

Sexysova
May 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
my coverage is without mistake since I can watch all show courts on ES player :lol:

~{X}~
May 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I think TTC is doing a great job, they always do at the slams and I am glad they have all 4 slams now. Its very enjoyable to watch and they show a lot of tennis.

Christinawww
May 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM
my coverage is without mistake since I can watch all show courts on ES player :lol:

but the quality is not so good. I'm having trouble seeing the ball

améliemomo
May 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
not for the french:p

Broken Racquet
May 27th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Try to get Tennis Channel or Direct TV coverage. You can watch couple matches live at the same time, and later they repeat most important ones!

gmokb
May 27th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Now TSN2 is showing Ana's match when Venus is currently playing. I tell you these people are simple stupid!!!!!

Matt01
May 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Disgusting is the right word. German ES had the cordiality to show us one full set of Nadia vs. Pova and then they switched to cycling. :rolleyes:
And now I can't even see Venus losing :sobbing:

2moretogo
May 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM

I totally agree. I walked home from work to see the last set of Ouanna v. Safin and Lucie v. Venus, and I had two channels to choose from. In the past TTC would aburtly end at noon and ESPN2 would show whom ever they wanted often on tape delay :help:, but this year TTC has been covering whatever matches are on court before noon, and surprisingly, ESPN2 has showed matched not on tape delay and also the matches that everyone wanted to see.

hablo
May 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Thank goodness for RDS: I got to see Sharpie vs Petrova live. :drool:

hablo
May 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Here in Canada we're getting Aussie coverage I think? Like last year. I swear to god, if they don't show Ana's match or Nadia/Maria...I'll kill someone. I do NOT want to see tape-delayed Murray, or Simon, or FLo and Tipsy. :fiery:

Luck you. No RDS here... can't even find a decent stream for Safin's match.

You could get RDS if you wanted in Ontario: just an extra $7 for a few French channels and you would be all set. :p

(RDS is a must channel as a Habs fan!)

gmokb
May 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I totally agree. I walked home from work to see the last set of Ouanna v. Safin and Lucie v. Venus, and I had two channels to choose from. In the past TTC would aburtly end at noon and ESPN2 would show whom ever they wanted often on tape delay :help:, but this year TTC has been covering whatever matches are on court before noon, and surprisingly, ESPN2 has showed matched not on tape delay and also the matches that everyone wanted to see.

I need to go home:bigcry:

Europe rocks
May 27th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I guess the BBC is being slightly better this year in showing some different matches, but they always seem to find a way to televise Murray :o At least they shew the final set of Simon cruising past Kendrick :hearts:

Sean.
May 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM
A combination of BBCi, TTC & ES :drool: Perfect!

Dave.
May 27th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I guess the BBC is being slightly better this year in showing some different matches, but they always seem to find a way to televise Murray :o At least they shew the final set of Simon cruising past Kendrick :hearts:

They showed that instead of Ana :o RG was good last year when Murray lost early, it seems to free up the rest of the BBC schedule.

Your signature :sad: :hug:

TheBoiledEgg
May 27th, 2009, 10:35 PM
i blame stupid Potito :armed:
please Haggis lose :armed:

at least they showing Giro on ES2 here

Sunday ES coverage is pathetic as always thanx to Moto GP and endless bikes :help: and coverge only starts around 4-30pm :rolleyes:
good thing BBCi will be there all day.

Rod the Bama
May 27th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I don`t have complaints about the coverage at Roland Garros since i have the French Open Mix on DirecTV. However i do like to see them show more doubles matches, although they did show Hantuyama`s match today, which is a good start.

MarieC
May 28th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I echo sentiments of the TSN coverage being horrible. I've been watching the coverage on my DVR and it all seems disjointed. Hopefully the coverage gets better as they move into week 2

Ryan
May 28th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I think the big problem is the time difference, which never bothered me when we had US coverage. You join coverage live, and show the "early" matches later in the afternoon when play's done. OR, there's enough LIVE tennis so you don't have to.

Now, they're determined to show us the very beginning of play, THREE hours after it started! So we're behind all day. That might be "ok" for casual fans who don't check scores online...but for people like us, its horrible.

GrafMariaPetraK
May 28th, 2009, 02:46 AM
what i hate about the eurosport coverage is simon reed commentating :mad: :weirdo: just comes out with aload of sh!t :lol:

Isha312
May 28th, 2009, 03:02 AM
After reading this thread I feel like my own gripe is small, but I'm really annoyed by the way ESPN2 HD shrinks the picture to fit in that stupid scoreboard. TTC is owning them in picture quality.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 28th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I agree with Isha. I saw Klara-Serena on Youtube. I could see the ball in the far court when the scoreboard wasnt there. When it was I couldn't.

What's with the original scoreboards? I don't get why networks don't just use the scoreboards the tournament gives them

canuckfan
May 28th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Why does TSN get an aussie feed? I've never seen/heard commentators more boring than the ones we get.

Thank god for Hélène and Yvon.

XaDavK_Kapri
May 28th, 2009, 05:55 PM
TSN just hit a new low ;) We're getting the National Spelling Bee Championships. :lol:
I hope RDS will join live at 2, but I don't think so :sad:

-jenks-
May 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
ESPN is showing venus' match now instead of live coverage! :o

If you aren't going to allow TTC live stream matches during your coverage, SHOW LIVE TENNIS!! :fiery:

-jenks-
May 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM
After reading this thread I feel like my own gripe is small, but I'm really annoyed by the way ESPN2 HD shrinks the picture to fit in that stupid scoreboard. TTC is owning them in picture quality.

Agreed! It's the worst Scoreboard too! :o
I'm sure people who don't follow tennis very well get confused by it.

IMPOSSIBLE
May 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Eurosport better not go back to Djokovic after Game, Set, Mats

TheBoiledEgg
May 29th, 2009, 08:10 AM
last night was :weirdo: should have been showing Dokic vs Dementieva instead of Game Set and Mats :rolleyes:

did Mats have to go and jerk off somewhere ??

bet ES start with Almugro and Verdasco today :rolleyes:

JonBcn
May 29th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I don't really object to the BBC showing endless Murray because it's swings and roundabouts. If we didnt have a top ten player, you can just about guarantee that the appetite and audience for tennis would be around nil, and nothing would be broadcast at all until finals weekend, like it used to be.

My biggest gripe at the moment is 'Game, Set and Mats'. I find myself strangely glued to it everyday, incredulous at the poor quality of the production, wooden presenting and supposedly "unique insights" of the snaggle-toothed former champion - sample quote: "Nadal and Federer, that's a great rivalry". Thanks for that, we'd never have noticed. But perhaps they have high viewing figures, as thousands of masochists like me tune in to see exactly how embarrassed they can be for other people. Poor Anabel Croft tries to hold it together but she's not the most skilled presenter, and doesn't seem to have any help from the production team. I'm sure the camera guy was drunk(er than usual) last night, fliming from over her shoulder as she talked to Mats...

TheBoiledEgg
May 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM
just hope the Lenglen matches go really long and Haggis isnt on court till 8pm

wanna see Masha's match on TV not on live stream.

Fuzzbutt
May 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM
BBCi were showing an empty Lenglen waiting for Djokovic's match to resume .. therefore missing the catfight on Chatrier :mad:

TheBoiledEgg
May 29th, 2009, 03:28 PM
ultimate disaster :fiery:

Masha's gonna be on court same time as Haggis :fiery:

on BBCi and ES :banghead:

got to rely on stream now :o

Dexter
May 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
My biggest gripe at the moment is 'Game, Set and Mats'. I find myself strangely glued to it everyday, incredulous at the poor quality of the production, wooden presenting and supposedly "unique insights" of the snaggle-toothed former champion - sample quote: "Nadal and Federer, that's a great rivalry". Thanks for that, we'd never have noticed. But perhaps they have high viewing figures, as thousands of masochists like me tune in to see exactly how embarrassed they can be for other people. Poor Anabel Croft tries to hold it together but she's not the most skilled presenter, and doesn't seem to have any help from the production team. I'm sure the camera guy was drunk(er than usual) last night, fliming from over her shoulder as she talked to Mats...My sentiments exactly and I couldn't have put it any better. The worst is Wilander 'giving his insights' into WTA when clearly he doesn't have any clue. The best was when he rated Wozniacki as a powerhitter. :tape: Don't let me start about him pronouncing the names... as if he heard them a second ago. :tape:

Europe rocks
May 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM
BBCi showing Venus-Szavay and Safina-Pavlyuchenkova. WTA overload :scared: At least they've got their darling Andy on now, it'll keep John Lloyd happy

pesto
May 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I can understand the Beeb and British Eurosport both want to air Murray, and I'd even like to see some of it, but grr, two channels and no choice.

And the Beeb has a second channel on interactive and is wasting it on a replay of the Williams-Szavay debacle.

nevetssllim
May 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I
My biggest gripe at the moment is 'Game, Set and Mats'. I find myself strangely glued to it everyday, incredulous at the poor quality of the production, wooden presenting and supposedly "unique insights" of the snaggle-toothed former champion - sample quote: "Nadal and Federer, that's a great rivalry". Thanks for that, we'd never have noticed,

That always cracks me up :lol: Mind you, it was worse last year when we had that awful man presenting it (Robbie Nock, or something.) What a liability he is!

nevetssllim
May 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
My sentiments exactly and I couldn't have put it any better. The worst is Wilander 'giving his insights' into WTA when clearly he doesn't have any clue. The best was when he rated Wozniacki as a powerhitter. :tape: Don't let me start about him pronouncing the names... as if he heard them a second ago. :tape:

He kept going on last year about Jarnkovic. :help:

I remember Frew "couldn't care less about the WTA" McMillan saying something really inaccurate about Wozniacki's game as well.

Renalicious
May 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Fox Sports show way too much Men's tennis. :(

Europe rocks
May 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Sharapova-Shvedova into a third set, Azarenka-CSN just starting, so the BBC decide to show a replay of Murray's "win" over Tipsarevic :o Ok, the commentators have been working since 11am, but couldn't they at least just show the match? :o

TheBoiledEgg
May 31st, 2009, 09:05 AM
usual Sunday rubbish on ES :rolleyes:

bet they still manage to show haggis dispite whatever Motorsport they got to show on both channels :o :o
so much for that then.

BBCi better show Vika vs Ana

serenus_2k8
May 31st, 2009, 09:21 AM
BBC itself is showing Murray :) Though they switch from BBC2 to BBC1 midway I believe.

I cant believe Vika v Ana isnt on PC, looks like an awesome match up that I really cant wait for. 8 v 9 always sounds :drool: Without realising who it is :p

Am I the only one who quite likes the Game, Set and Mats? Its nice if you missed a match etc to hear the catch up, but its no where near as polished as the Sky Sports analysis.

TheBoiledEgg
May 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM
^ i wouldnt mind getting comfy with that female driver they have in that little clip with players in back Q & A.

she's :drool:

davidmario
May 31st, 2009, 09:42 AM
eurosport player not showing doubles!

Huntress55
May 31st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Fox Sports show way too much Men's tennis. :(

I reckon, it makes me want to smash my TV everytime they're in the middle of a WTA match and cross over to a ATP match, especially when it hasnt even started :rolleyes: Fox Sports annoys the hell out of me... in saying that it's better than nothing. Aus Open coverage is pretty good though of course :p

adam_ads_n
May 31st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Eurosport player is bad this year. I wanted to watch Radwańska sisters and all I have is US Open commercial...

Also there were 7 courts at first, and then they reduced it to 5 (Chatrier, Lenglen, no.1, no.2, no.7), and three of them don't work now :/

TheBoiledEgg
May 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM
ES player never shows doubles or juniors :fiery:

only BBC does
gonna be no Wimbledon coverage on MediaZone this yr :( :fiery:

davidmario
May 31st, 2009, 09:55 AM
ES player never shows doubles or juniors :fiery:

only BBC does
gonna be no Wimbledon coverage on MediaZone this yr :( :fiery:

whaaaaatttt? how dare they???

is eurosport poland not showing the sisters?

adam_ads_n
May 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM
whaaaaatttt? how dare they???

is eurosport poland not showing the sisters?

There is no Eurosport Poland, only Eurosport International with Polish comment. So they depend on Eurosport International and they show Cibulkova vs. Szavay now.

serenus_2k8
May 31st, 2009, 10:11 AM
^ i wouldnt mind getting comfy with that female driver they have in that little clip with players in back Q & A.

she's :drool:

:lol: I bet you wouldnt :drool:

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM
I reckon, it makes me want to smash my TV everytime they're in the middle of a WTA match and cross over to a ATP match, especially when it hasnt even started.

For the current moment, I think it's better you're stuck with Gonzalez - Hanescu match. The one between Cibulkova and Svazay is a errorfest disaster at the moment.... (winners in very low single digits) :help:

josh3135
May 31st, 2009, 10:20 AM
I've enjoyed my coverage on Dish Network, but they need a scoreline on their "6(but really 5) channel display" or make the screens a little bigger. It's such a pain to have to wait on the lousy commentators to take time out of breathing heavy or verbally fellating a player to tell you what the score is, or what set it is, or even who's playing. I find myself not even using it most of the time, since it's practically unwatchable.

Renalicious
May 31st, 2009, 10:36 AM
UUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH

Fox Sports today. :fiery:

ENOUGH Men's tennis!!! ENOUGH OF IT. Shit! They only have one women's match scheduled for today and they probably won't show it. ENOUGH OF MURRAY. I WANT TO SEE DINARA vs ARAVANE, bitches.

bwahahahahaha
May 31st, 2009, 10:38 AM
Eurosport :bs:

Tales
May 31st, 2009, 10:40 AM
Norwegian Eurosport stopped showing Cibulkova-Szavay at 6-2 5-3 40-40 to show cycling instead :o

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 31st, 2009, 10:46 AM
OMG, Eurosport not showing any tennis until 4:30pm now :rolleyes:

BBC will either start coverage from 2:30pm or when Murray starts his match, which ever comes first. With Nadal and Ivanovic both scheduled at the same time I guess I won't get to see Azarenka vs Ivanovic :sobbing:

Play_Suspended
May 31st, 2009, 10:49 AM
What I dont get is why does ES player switch off when its doubles and juniors? I mean is it to do with the contract? Why dont they just leave the cameras on? Its not as though theyve got commentators on those courts anyway...

tea
May 31st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Eurosport:weirdo:

Their next step should be showing racing instead tennis next Saturday.:o

TheBoiledEgg
May 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Rezai vs Safina on ES player it'll have to be

just hope Vika and Masha's matches dont overlap too much

ViennaCalling
May 31st, 2009, 10:56 AM
I hate Cycling :help: :help: :help:

fnc
May 31st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Fingers crossed the Safina-Rezai match will be over quickly. That way the Nadal match will be well underway and increasing the chances for bbci to show ana-vika. Sam Smith mentioned that after the Murray match they'll switch between courts depening on where the action is.

TheBoiledEgg
May 31st, 2009, 04:13 PM
ES comeback with Davydenko vs Verdasco

at least Masha is on BBCi

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Eurosport Player link is broken :o :mad:
looks like all of ES site is down

bwahahahahaha
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Davydenko vs Soderling? :o:o It's not even Davy vs Nadal,then I would understand but women's no1 vs no9 is more important.

Apoleb
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Davydenko vs Soderling? :o:o It's not even Davy vs Nadal,then I would understand but women's no1 vs no9 is more important.

I know.. so annoying.

Meelis
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Eurosport Player link is broken :o :mad:
looks like all of ES site is down

For me it works fine.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
ES Player doesn't work for me too :(

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
BBC is showing Safina's match

Patrick345
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM

This channel is fucking sexist. It´s disgusting. Davydenko/Söderling? Seriously over the potential women´s final.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
WTF not showing Dinara :o ??????

Patrick345
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
I´d like to hear the outrage of Eurosport showed Groenefeld/Petrova over Nadal/Tsonga.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
so glad for BBCi they better show it

hope Kolya match goes long and Kolya wins in 4-5 sets
Haggis match hope its over after 1-2 pts.

Sharpie4me
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
ES :bs: for not showing Safina/Azarenka :fiery::weirdo::bs:

Sean.
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
WTF? Davy/Robin :o

Surely as they as showing Murray/Gonzo later it would make sense to show the match before them so they don't have to leave that match 1/2 way through! :smash:

It was favoured ATP over WTA all week! :fiery: Thank god for BBC!

Apoleb
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Shitsport is carrying the 2 Lenglen matches, instead of showing the matches on centercourt.

nicidle
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
which stream is better in terms of commentators.
tennis channel or or fox sports

bwahahahahaha
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Vika is one of the best returners on tour ;)

s_j
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
My eurosport player website page won't be recognised... anyone else experiencing that?

nicidle
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
she's on fire.
at last i chose the tennis channel stream

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
My eurosport player website page won't be recognised... anyone else experiencing that?

me too :mad:
think its a UK prob :confused:

-Sonic-
Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
Can you not livescore in this thread please - we don't want to close it. Cheers.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
can you believe BBC2 is still showing Fleming and Barker having a chit-chat :lol:

will they carry that on for another hour or so :tape:
great to see BBC2 schedule ruined :tape:

still wont get to see Masha vs Domi match other than on ES player though :(

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
twats on ES leave to Toad again :rolleyes:

jamatthews
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Wait has someone finally decided to keep Sam company? :weirdo:

Dave.
Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM

I prefered it when she was on her own :lol:

Dave.
Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM

I prefered it when she was on her own :lol:

Ryan
Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
We saw Safina - Azarenka, I was so happy to finally see a whole women's match. :cool: Murray v. Gonzales should be good too, I just hope they switch a little bit to Maria/Domi (not likely though).

LDF
Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'm so glad Eurosport decided to show us Soderling massacring Davydenko in a match where the winner was clear, instead of showing us the third set of the Safina-Azarenka match(!) :weirdo:

LDF
Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Oh, and on a separate rant, Chris Bowers has got to have one of the worst commentating voices around. I cannot bear listening to him :o

ghost world
Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Dick Enberg needs to stop pleasuring himself to Sharapova whilst commentating.

It's unseemly.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
TTC Website seems to have stopped archiving matches. The last ones are from Sunday...
Plus I haven't seen the full Jankovic-Cirstea,Azarenka-Safina because of it :mad:

nevetssllim
Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
According to the man in the Eurosport studio, Stosur beat Dementieva in round four, who also retired at the end of the match...:tape:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
We didn't get to see Serena-Svetlana :mad: anyone else

ce
Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
we have it on es

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Now my TV is showing Fed - Gael... but so far so good match from them.

In The Zone
Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Wow. Boy has TTC dropped the ball. Showing the opening games of Monfils/Federer over Serena/Sveta decisive set? Major flop.

ghost world
Sep 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Oh, God!

Whilst talking about Oudin, the commentators have evoked the likes of Federer, Nadal, Capriati, and Sharapova. :help:

allrounder
Sep 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Oh, God!

Whilst talking about Oudin, the commentators have evoked the likes of Federer, Nadal, Capriati, and Sharapova. :help:

Oh dear, have they not been watching tennis long enough to know Masha would have won this in 2 easy sets if she could serve :lol:

Talula
Sep 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I'm really enjoying Sky's coverage. Eurosport - who I normally watch when Sky isn't bothering to cover tennis - does look like the poor relation in comparison. I'm really enjoying Annabel Croft and (and I never thought I'd say this!) Greg Rudeski.

Dodoboy.
Sep 5th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Moan

Rocketta
Sep 5th, 2009, 11:43 PM
They talk too much on TTC. :shrug:

Mary Carillo still sucks and I'm sooo looking for the day when they decide to replace her with the new cute young female broadcaster even if she's bad like Chris Fowler. :tape:

Rocketta
Sep 6th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Oh and Gimelstob's lisp is soooooooooooo annoying. :(

Ryan
Sep 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
They talk too much on TTC. :shrug:

Mary Carillo still sucks and I'm sooo looking for the day when they decide to replace her with the new cute young female broadcaster even if she's bad like Chris Fowler. :tape:

Chris Fowler is the man! Mary Carillo is horrible though, you're right.

Rocketta
Sep 6th, 2009, 04:07 AM
FYI TTC, I don't care to see the president and I care even less to see his wife and daughter. :rolleyes:

LDF
Sep 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM
This isn't a moan, but is anybody else currently watching the US Open history piece on Sky Sports? Barry Cowan's strut through the gardens and crowds whilst yelling his cue-card info just made me burst out laughing :spit:

ViennaCalling
Sep 6th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Eurosport shows more tennis on Eurosport 2 than on the normal ES :rolleyes:

ce
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Eurosport shows more tennis on Eurosport 2 than on the normal ES :rolleyes:

well you know sports like table football :tape: or how do you even call that or womans football is more interesting :o

Black Mamba.
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
ESPN really needs to ditch the McEnroe/McEnroe team. They suck together.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Sky sticking with Monfils :yawn:

interactive gone :( :fiery:

so no Bepa vs Flavia :mad:

John.
Sep 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Sky sticking with Monfils :yawn:

interactive gone :( :fiery:

so no Bepa vs Flavia :mad:

I was hoping they were gonna show it on Interactive :fiery:

John.
Sep 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Sky Sports now showing Vera V Flavia :banana:

ghost world
Sep 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Isn't it customary for commentators to shut the fuck up during rallies?

mk27
Sep 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM
well you know sports like table football :tape: or how do you even call that or womans football is more interesting :o

In Germany the European championships of women's football has much better TV ratings than tennis and for Eurosport Germany is one of the most important market that's why they show so much women's football.

ms. double fault
Sep 7th, 2009, 08:45 PM
is that actually judy "andy's mum" murray commentating on ES?
i only know one judy murray :lol:
.. or did i just catch that wrong?

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Clijster's ass. :help:

It's been a while since I've had to hear their commentary at the AO while doing a Kim match.

I like Kim. I think she is a nice person generally but Damn... the syrup that flows when they commentate her match is pretty hard to listen to. Almost makes you want to root against her.

*sigh*

Anyway, I hope they temper some of their commentary with objectivity eventually.... :eek:

Szavay #1
Jan 20th, 2010, 02:57 AM
ita and i like kim too. it's like enough already! :tape:

Nupe
Jan 20th, 2010, 02:58 AM
They're up anyone's ass who they think can beat Serena and Venus.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 03:02 AM

Well I would hope they would be past that now well everyone except MC. :lol:

Anyway, it gave me flash backs to the AO when they just knew she was going to win and beat Serena and it looked like it was going to happen then Serena turned it around and won at the last minute.... I thought MJF and Pam were going to actually cry on air. If you are that emotionally attached to a player then you shouldn't be calling her matches OR just be up front about it... don't fake objectivity.. :shrug:

but I see now I'll have to cut the commentary off if I watch another Kim match...

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 20th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Truth!

Nupe
Jan 20th, 2010, 03:06 AM

Anyway, it gave me flash backs to the AO when they just knew she was going to win and beat Serena and it looked like it was going to happen then Serena turned it around and won at the last minute.... I thought MJF and Pam were going to actually cry on air. If you are that emotionally attached to a player then you shouldn't be calling her matches OR just be up front about it... don't fake objectivity.. :shrug:

but I see now I'll have to cut the commentary off if I watch another Kim match...

Its quite painful to listen to them. They want to appear pro-American but root for any players that play against the top Americans.

young_gunner913
Jan 20th, 2010, 03:08 AM

UGH I LOVED IT!! :drool: The whole match was Kim this, Kim that, then BABOOM. Serena shut those bitches up. :lol:

Ilikebigboobies
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I would like to be an american commentator if you get to be up Clijster's ass. :drool:

-jenks-
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Maybe because she is such a nice person and they respect her? :shrug:

duhcity
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:44 AM
God Gilbert is so far up the Belgian asses too.

He has repeatedly shit all over Women's tennis, yet still goes on and on about seeding the Belgian's highly over a recent number 1, a slam winner, etc.
Whatevs. Cahill all the way

WowWow
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:46 AM

Nah, they're up Henin's arse too, and we all know she's not nice:lol:

Alizé Molik
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:50 AM

lol!

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Well that's the point isn't it?

I mean, is this a congeniality contest or a tennis tournament?

Maybe the commentators should be doing the pageant circuit?

darrinbaker00
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:57 AM
As long as they keep their facts straight, pronounce the names correctly and keep quiet while the ball is in play, I really don't care what they say. :shrug:

Apoleb
Jan 20th, 2010, 05:00 AM

Umm, no, they aren't. Pam Shriver/Mary C/MJF can't stand her.

Clijsters is very popular and everyone likes her. Get over it. Who cares anyway? The whole ESPN team is a bunch of drama whores. Give me Frew Mcmillan any day. :hearts:

Apoleb
Jan 20th, 2010, 05:02 AM
As long as they keep their facts straight, pronounce the names correctly and keep quiet while the ball is in play, I really don't care what they say. :shrug:

I soooooo hate Rapheeeyel Nadol. :hysteric: :fiery: :vomit: This guy needs a pronunciation lesson.

dybbuk
Jan 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Having to hear about her husband and Jada is getting slightly tired. It was cute at the beginning, but really, we don't need the detailed discussions about Jada's hair and Brian's career every match. Just another example of commentators ruining any good story with their incessant talking about it.

Hazel
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:04 AM
You should have heard the Eurosport commentator during the Dokic match. He was continually making her out to be an absolute loony and things he said bordered on slander. It was dreadful how he kept going on and on about her problems off the court - and he sounded as if he enjoyed every second of it. A disgrace.

ghost world
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Oh, man, Carillo and Enberg are already on a roll during the Henin match.

geoepee
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:21 AM
tell me about it,...

i'm already looking for a live feed so i don't have to listen to those two yap.

Sam L
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:38 AM

LMFAO! Seriously I'd love to see one of the Sisters beat Clijsters in the final, especially Venus, since they're going to be saying and thinking Clijsters will be the favourite. :drool:

Bahia
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I soooooo hate Rapheeeyel Nadol. :hysteric: :fiery: :vomit: This guy needs a pronunciation lesson.

Hearing them say Dementieva is worse.

edificio
Jan 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM
They love Kim, yes. They think she's a winner, because of her success at the USO, because of her harmless personality, and because she's not Serena. Apparently, Serena is now persona non grata. Oh, poor Serena. As for Justine, they never warmed to her. Loving Kim is like loving Ana--it's easy. They are puppy sweet.

edificio
Jan 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
You should have heard the Eurosport commentator during the Dokic match. He was continually making her out to be an absolute loony and things he said bordered on slander. It was dreadful how he kept going on and on about her problems off the court - and he sounded as if he enjoyed every second of it. A disgrace.

Oh, that's awful. Dokic plays with such weight on her shoulders too.

muniu
Jan 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I love Kim, but she was playing like an amateur today and every time she won a couple of games they were talking about how she uped her level, how superbly she plays blah blah blah and every time tanasugarn won a couple of games they were like : oh yeah there is nothing she(Kim) can do , tanasugarn is playing out of her mind, and I was like: wtf you don't see how powerless and slow Kim is today?

sammy01
Jan 20th, 2010, 09:15 AM
i wouldn't complain about commentators actually liking women players whoever they are. you can hear in the voice of some of the male commentators their total disdain for certain women players.

Uranium
Jan 20th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I hate ESPN, they are showing Blake over Henin-Dementieva:fiery:

saul1333
Jan 20th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Seriously..they are just going to replay the Blake match again tomorrow :rolleyes:

Uranium
Jan 20th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Seriously, I don't give a fuck who wins, just end.
I want to watch Elena:shout:

Uranium
Jan 20th, 2010, 09:43 AM
The trainer is there, why are you showing the trainer and not an actual match playing:smash:

Six Feet Under
Jan 20th, 2010, 09:44 AM
The australian commentators are the same.

ghost world
Jan 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Blake is an American.

Are you guys really surprised they're featuring his match?

gentenaire
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Belgian commentators aren't any better, unfortunately. I tend to watch Eurosport most of the time.

But did you have to remind me of the worst disappointment I've felt as a tennis fan? I remember that match so well. I couldn't believe it! I was convinced Kim had just wasted her only opportunity at ever winning a slam.

doagrl
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Blake is an American.

Are you guys really surprised they're featuring his match?

Normally, I wouldn't be surprised but they stuck with that damn Blake match even on the changeovers :mad:

And they really have gone overboard with this Belgian love & admiration ass-kissing festival that's been going on since this tournament started.

I swear the way they talk you would think that tennis was on the verge of extinction before Kim & Justine rode back into town to save it from those evil Williams sisters and those dreadful Russians :rolleyes:

I know she can be annoying sometimes but I'd rather listen to Navratilova on tape delay than continue to watch live matches with the ESPN crew.

DontGetItTwisted
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:13 AM
One of the many reasons why I hate the broad.

dsanders06
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Williams sisters against teh world!

You guys realise that more Americans in the later stages = more ratings = more money for the commentators. So yes, clearly, it makes perfect sense they'd be rooting against the Americans.

doagrl
Jan 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Williams sisters against teh world!

You guys realise that more Americans in the later stages = more ratings = more money for the commentators. So yes, clearly, it makes perfect sense they'd be rooting against the Americans.

I don't even think they consider it to be rooting against them this seems to be their idea of creating drama and "bringing excitement back to the game". Even though the game is plenty exciting & certainly dramatic on its own without the need to manufacture a sports soap opera.

Vlover
Jan 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
After Pova lost I guess a vacuum was left for the usual nauseating ass kissing and Kim filled it perfectly.:rolleyes: For once I don't feel sorry that the Sisters are on the same half because It would have been unbearable to listen to them if one was in the same section as the Belgians. Anyway it will be interesting to see if the "new" mighty Kim can stand up to her old nemesis Justine when it counts in a major. Make no mistake that Justine will be ready when they meet especially with Carlos giving kudos to Kim.;) The pressure will be on Kim to deliver, then we will see if she is the same Kim who consistently gets to the later stages of majors and falters in the end.

The Dawntreader
Jan 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
The hype is getting unbearable now.

Her achievment post-retirement are no doubt extremely impressive, but it's the same player with the same flaws she had previously. Commentators seem to label her as some kind of GOAT, waiting to be lifted up into the golden tennis kingdom in the sky.

No commentator should ever show favour towards a player because they are 'nice'. They lose credibility almost immediately.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 20th, 2010, 02:20 PM
thank you hejira!

as me and my bro were saying this morning...it's not like they left for years (like KDK) and are facing a whole new batch of players who have so vastly improved in every area and they are STILL able to compete...they are coming back to the SAME players on tour, with minor tweaks at the top of the rankings simply because some of those players weren't getting taken out in the 2nd and 3rd rd of tournaments by kim and jh anymore....

kim left in 2007 and guess who were the players on tour then...she didn't play, and isn't playing at this unbeatable GOAT level that the ESPN commentators seems to think she has achieved since her comeback...i wasn't convinced with the us open victory :shrug: she still plays the same style, beats who she has to convincingly, and has the same mental lapses she has always had...fortunately for her in her 4 biggest matches back: venus didn't give her another chance to choke by making all those errors herself, serena didn't give her a chance to choke by going and getting a point penalty on mp, caro did the choking when she was up and never recovered, and jh choked herself while trying to close...

no denying it's great that she's back...but she's not this untouchable force in tennis that they are making her out to be :o

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:01 PM

Unfortunately, the baby was getting her nights and days mixed so I was up and they really were on a roll but it was funny when they were going on and on and on about the quality of the match then they show the UEs in the first set and they had almost 40 ue's and the first set wasn't even close to over. :lol:

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Belgian commentators aren't any better, unfortunately. I tend to watch Eurosport most of the time.

But did you have to remind me of the worst disappointment I've felt as a tennis fan? I remember that match so well. I couldn't believe it! I was convinced Kim had just wasted her only opportunity at ever winning a slam.

well I do have sympathy for her fans because I'm sure that was tough but the commentators completely forget there are two players on court and both have fans and the other player's fans don't want to hear the constant one sided commentary...

timafi
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:26 PM
guess you haven't heard Pmac and Gimelstob talk Roddick and Blake:rolleyes: :tape:

dynamoRockstarr
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I just know that i like Kim, but they are really sounding like a broken record player and it makes me angry lol. Everyone who knows tennis knows of Kim's comeback. And i agree with a previous poster, it seems they root for players who they feel can defeat the Sisters or something like that. But by the time the US Hardcourt season come, they're the same commentators who are whining about American tennis. HELLO try supporting those keeping it alive while you have them.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:30 PM
guess you haven't heard Pmac and Gimelstob talk Roddick and Blake:rolleyes: :tape:

add Isner and I will say I have heard it but I'm not sure I get your point? P.Mac and Gimelstob are complete idiots, can't stand to listen to them either. :sad:

sweetpeas
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
They're up anyone's ass who they think can beat Serena

The lady commentators who work for the sport station i can't record her name right now(sorry),made
a comment about how great Serena 41 first rd wins.They just lay their head down.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Commentators are always gushing about someone.

Kim's probably one of the most acceptable people for them to fawn over, she's liked by most people.

It could be worse IMHO.

No really it couldn't... :sad: They gush over her on the level the british gush over Murray... :help:

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
The British don't gush over Murray - some of us throw up.

What I meant though was more that they could be going on about some really nasty player that you hate - at least you like Kim.

Oh I see but it's making me not like her so much..... well I mean it's making me not want her to win and I don't think that is their purpose by talking Kim up... It's having the opposite effect on me which is a shame because it's not Kim's fault but it's hard to get past.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I know what you mean. I guess the only solution is to hit mute when you watch her matches.

With Justine back and winning, I expect they'll move onto her as their new golden girl after a few weeks.

yes, I definitely will be using the mute button... for both of their matches.. :lol:

Bahia
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:04 PM
That's better than me - I'll be using the 'power off' button :tape:.

:haha: :haha:

:bigcry:

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:04 PM
That's better than me - I'll be using the 'power off' button :tape:.

That was the plan last night But Rukiya had other plans... so I had to do something while I was waiting for the sandman to give us a visit.

sweetpeas
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:08 PM
That's better than me - I'll be using the 'power off' button .
That was the plan last night But Rukiya had other plans... so I had to do something while I was waiting for the sandman to give us a visit.

CUTE!

infinitusone
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Oh I see but it's making me not like her so much..... well I mean it's making me not want her to win and I don't think that is their purpose by talking Kim up... It's having the opposite effect on me which is a shame because it's not Kim's fault but it's hard to get past.

This is exactly how I feel.

Bahia
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM
No that dumb Twilight.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Clijster's ass. :help:

It's been a while since I've had to hear their commentary at the AO while doing a Kim match.

I like Kim. I think she is a nice person generally but Damn... the syrup that flows when they commentate her match is pretty hard to listen to. Almost makes you want to root against her.

*sigh*

Anyway, I hope they temper some of their commentary with objectivity eventually.... :eek:

Obviously when it comes to the Belgians, the American commentators don't know how to be objective. These two players quit tennis. Gave up on it. Not one word of criticism about it. In fact, it was the exact opposite. Where was Chrissy's "Open Letter" to Justine and Kim?

Yet, the two American players, who have amassed 18 GS titles between them, Venus and Serena for almost three years did not play their best tennis or play as much as they could have, because of injuries and the killing of their sister. Instead of understanding their plight, like they seem to understand Justine's "burn out" and Kim's desire to have a husband and a kid and the reasons for their "retirements", the WS were lambasted by the tennis establishment for not being interested in tennis, for having too many outside interests, for not fulfilling their destiny and all sorts of things. And, through the midst of all of their injuries, overwhelming grief, "outside interests" and the harsh neverending criticism that followed, they never quit. They never gave up on tennis.

Now coming back from faux retirement, both are hailed as having "saved" the WTA. They are the second coming of Christ in the eyes of some. The welcome mat has been laid out and the sugary syrup of praise and worship is laid before them. Yet, when they were gone who held up the banner of the WTA? Who carried the WTA?

I think we are all happy that Justine and Kim have come back to the tour. The tour is deeper and there is more competition at the top. As a tennis fan, I'm excited about that, but I'm disappointed that no appreciation is shown for the women that stuck it out and continued to make the WTA interesting, when others quit it.

The hypocrisy and double standard makes me want to vomit. It breaks my heart that my faves are not appreciated, but at every opportunity that presents itself, negatively criticized. What is the reason for the maltreatment and injustice?

Honestly, I'm not bitter about it. It's just hurtful. People can like whomever they want. But, the over the top negativity regarding Serena and the gushiness over the Belgians is just hard to take. I like Kim, but it makes me want to see her lose, so they can shut the hell up.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:30 PM

I feel ya. It's horrible the way they down a player who's already down.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Normally, I wouldn't be surprised but they stuck with that damn Blake match even on the changeovers :mad:

And they really have gone overboard with this Belgian love & admiration ass-kissing festival that's been going on since this tournament started.

I swear the way they talk you would think that tennis was on the verge of extinction before Kim & Justine rode back into town to save it from those evil Williams sisters and those dreadful Russians :rolleyes:

I know she can be annoying sometimes but I'd rather listen to Navratilova on tape delay than continue to watch live matches with the ESPN crew.

My sentiments, exactly. :worship::worship::worship:

Vanity Bonfire
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM
The British don't gush over Murray - some of us throw up.

What I meant though was more that they could be going on about some really nasty player that you hate - at least you like Kim.

I just don't watch Murray matches any more because John Lloyd has multiple orgasms every time Andy wins a point. It is not pretty.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately, the baby was getting her nights and days mixed so I was up and they really were on a roll but it was funny when they were going on and on and on about the quality of the match then they show the UEs in the first set and they had almost 40 ue's and the first set wasn't even close to over. :lol:

If you think that's bad, go over to the JH defeats ED thread. All you see is "quality match" this and "quality match" that. It's so deliriously funny. ED had 50 errors and JH had 57. A total of 107 UFE's in a match is NOT a quality match.:lol:

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I just know that i like Kim, but they are really sounding like a broken record player and it makes me angry lol. Everyone who knows tennis knows of Kim's comeback. And i agree with a previous poster, it seems they root for players who they feel can defeat the Sisters or something like that. But by the time the US Hardcourt season come, they're the same commentators who are whining about American tennis. HELLO try supporting those keeping it alive while you have them.

:worship: Thank you.

Nicolás89
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Seriously, most people need to grow up. It's about the tennis not about the commentators. I've seen my favorites being turned apart many times even though one did so much for tennis and has an incredible record and the other was so talented but is struggling right know. Who cares?

darrinbaker00
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Denise and Rocketta, I refuse to believe that either of you are as influenced by the announcers as you are claiming in this thread. I steadfastly R-E-F-U-S-E to believe that. You both know too much about the game and the players to be that gullible.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Denise and Rocketta, I refuse to believe that either of you are as influenced by the announcers as you are claiming in this thread. I steadfastly R-E-F-U-S-E to believe that. You both know too much about the game and the players to be that gullible.

Darrin, I refuse to believe, R-E-F-U-S-E to believe that you really think I give a rat's ass what you believe. :)

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Seriously, most people need to grow up. It's about the tennis not about the commentators. I've seen my favorites being turned apart many times even though one did so much for tennis and has an incredible record and the other was so talented but is struggling right know. Who cares?

I do. :shrug: If you don't, more power to you. :shrug:

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM
You should have read to her - like a Harry Potter novel or something :tape:.

No that dumb Twilight.

I read twilight definitely not worth reading again and as far as Harry Potter she'll watch it on DVD just like Mommy! :p

darrinbaker00
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I do. :shrug: If you don't, more power to you. :shrug:
Why do you care, Rocketta?

Midnight_Robber
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Luckily I don't get ESPN but I was actually shocked the first time I watched tennis with their commentary because of their clear bias, and their tacky unprofessionalism. (Talking through points, droning on about all manner of things that are unrelated to what occurs on-court, selectively ridiculing or whaling on players that they don't happen to care for, and gushing about which player they went out to lunch with or a player that deigned to look in their direction.)

For example, I remember a female commentator stating that she hated Gonzales big forehand and 'despised' that type of game (as opposed to Federer's.) That was such a WTF? moment for me. As if anyone cared about what type of game she subjectively prefers to watch. :weirdo: Just contain your bias, commentate on the damn match and the shots that are being played, and strategies used and stop personalising everything because that's your freakin' JOB. :mad:

And yes, I care because it really ruins my viewing pleasure and I don't think that I or anyone else should be forced to flip channels or hit the mute button (especially when in my case I'd have to pay for their coverage). :eyeroll: Their pointless prattle actually gets in the way of my being able to analyse the match and enjoy it.

These people are being paid good money to analyse the matches as they unfold in real time - not in some creepy alternative, fan-boy/girl reality. It's one thing for some of us to carry on like unhinged prats on a fan board - it's another thing for this to be happening in official media.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Why do you care, Rocketta?

Darrin are you having problems with reading comprehension? :scratch:

Ok, I'll spoon feed you..

One I like Kim, two the commentator's behavior are interfering with that like so much so it's starting to make me wish Kim would lose her matches and/or can't listen to the commentary during her matches so I don't have those feelings anymore.

I know I've said this already in this thread but hopefully that clears it up for you. :wavey:

Bahia
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I read twilight definitely not worth reading again and as far as Harry Potter she'll watch it on DVD just like Mommy! :p

Its not even worth reading the first time. :tape:

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:44 PM
If you think that's bad, go over to the JH defeats ED thread. All you see is "quality match" this and "quality match" that. It's so deliriously funny. ED had 50 errors and JH had 57. A total of 107 UFE's in a match is NOT a quality match.:lol:
That really was amazing to listen to them.

Pam, when the UEs were brought to her attention, tried to pass it off as..., "well they're factoring in the DFs along with that." :spit: as if that was the reason for the high UEs. :lol:

Oh well. Is any of this any real surprise. We've known how they've felt along along. It's pretty predictable.

Whenever possible, try to listen to the Aussie commentators. They're infinitely better, not a bunch of knee-jerk, biased, sycophantic morons.

darrinbaker00
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Darrin are you having problems with reading comprehension? :scratch:

Ok, I'll spoon feed you..

One I like Kim, two the commentator's behavior are interfering with that like so much so it's starting to make me wish Kim would lose her matches and/or can't listen to the commentary during her matches so I don't have those feelings anymore.

I know I've said this already in this thread but hopefully that clears it up for you. :wavey:
Like I posted earlier, Rocketta, I can't believe that's coming from you. Some of the immature kids on this board, sure, but YOU? That's what I'm having trouble comprehending.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Luckily I don't get ESPN but I was actually shocked the first time I watched tennis with their commentary because of their clear bias, and their tacky unprofessionalism. (Talking through points, droning on about all manner of things that are unrelated to what occurs on-court, selectively ridiculing or whaling on players that they don't happen to care for, and gushing about which player they went out to lunch with or a player that deigned to look in their direction.)

For example, I remember a female commentator stating that she hated Gonzales big forehand and 'despised' that type of game (as opposed to Federer's.) That was such a WTF? moment for me. As if anyone cared about what type of game she subjectively prefers to watch. :weirdo: Just contain your bias, commentate on the damn match and the shots that are being played, and strategies used and stop personalising everything because that's your freakin' JOB. :mad:

And yes, I care it really ruins my viewing pleasure and I don't think that I or anyone else should be forced to flip channels or hit the mute button. Their pointless prattle actually gets in the way of my being able to analyse the match and enjoy it.

These people are being paid good money to analyse the matches as they unfold in real time - not in some creepy alternative, fan-boy/girl reality. It's one thing for some of us to carry on like unhinged prats on a fan board - it's another thing for this to be happening in official media.

They really do personalize EVERYTHING! It's ok for there to be maybe one person whose job it is to be controversial or biased but all of them? How is Mary Jo (who I think does try to be objective but just isn't successful) allowed to commentate matches of players that her husband represents or wants to represent? How is anyone to believe she's objective in her opinions about those players... but I digress because with Kim C. it's kind of all of them.

It just seems to me, the commentator jobs has become quite convoluted and is now interfering with the enjoyment of the match as opposed to enhancing it but that's just my opinion.

matty
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:46 PM

:mad:

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Like I posted earlier, Rocketta, I can't believe that's coming from you. Some of the immature kids on this board, sure, but YOU? That's what I'm having trouble comprehending.

you'll get over it. :shrug:

or not. :shrug:

matty
Cahill :cool:

Denise4925

We are just human. What can I say? :shrug: I think I've already expressed how I feel about the whole thing, so no need to rehash.

But regarding your surprise and refusal to believe that we are so "gullible" as you put it, people in this forum have pushed you over the edge in the past. So much so that you've been suspended. Were you being gullible or just human? I'm not throwing stones, because been there done that more than twice. But my point is, you're human, and sometimes things go too far whether it's someone in your face physically, someone on a message board or some commentators on television. It's human to rail at injustice and hypocrisy. They have a bully pulpit and say things that may not influence you and I, but may influence people who can and should be regarded as gullible. People who prefer to believe what they hear, instead of seeking the truth. This is my frustration. Because there are no dissenting voices on that bully pulpit.

I'm frustrated that I can't do anything about the hypocrisy, so the only way I know how to relieve that frustration is be glad when Justine and Kim lose. Maybe then, these commentators will shut their fucking mouthes and appreciate the humanity and the tennis of all of the players. Not just a select two.

Don't be so quick to judge based on how you would handle things. We are different people. I see hypocrisy and injustice, and I want to do or say something about it. You may not feel that way. But just because I do, doesn't make me gullible. Their objective is not to rile me up, but to reel me into their way of thinking. What they've accomplished is to rile me up. I wouldn't say that was gullible in any sense of the meaning of the word.

Rocketta
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Its not even worth reading the first time. :tape:

I actually enjoyed the first 3 but I love Vampire romance books.. :hearts:

however the 4th... pppppp uuuuuuuuu :lol:

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:55 PM

And yes, I care because it really ruins my viewing pleasure and I don't think that I or anyone else should be forced to flip channels or hit the mute button (especially when in my case I'd have to pay for their coverage). :eyeroll: Their pointless prattle actually gets in the way of my being able to analyse the match and enjoy it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you so so so much. :worship::worship::worship:

I've said this very same thing, many, many, many times before, even to the point of emailing and blogging the commentators, but to no avail. I wish there were some way we, as tennis fans who get American commentary, could get this message across to ESPN. The Tennis Channel has better commentary, but they can at times be somewhat unprofessional as well. Just not as much as ESPN. :(

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM
That really was amazing to listen to them.

Pam, when the UEs were brought to her attention, tried to pass it off as..., "well they're factoring in the DFs along with that." :spit: as if that was the reason for the high UEs. :lol:

Oh well. Is any of this any real surprise. We've known how they've felt along along. It's pretty predictable.

Whenever possible, try to listen to the Aussie commentators. They're infinitely better, not a bunch of knee-jerk, biased, sycophantic morons.

We, who have cable, have no choice regarding who we listen to. I much prefer the Aussie commentators. The only time I've heard them is on a replay of a match on the TC. Otherwise, most of us with cable are left with the morons.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
They really do personalize EVERYTHING! It's ok for there to be maybe one person whose job it is to be controversial or biased but all of them? How is Mary Jo (who I think does try to be objective but just isn't successful) allowed to commentate matches of players that her husband represents or wants to represent? How is anyone to believe she's objective in her opinions about those players... but I digress because with Kim C. it's kind of all of them.

It just seems to me, the commentator jobs has become quite convoluted and is now interfering with the enjoyment of the match as opposed to enhancing it but that's just my opinion.

No, it's my opinion as well.

pav
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Yes I'm getting sick of the gushing over Pudding face and N.B.N.making it sound like they just picked up a nearby racquet and wandered in for a game on the offchance and how remarkable their level of play is.How Pudding is a much more mature person now and has to go back and change her offbloodyspring,hand me a bucket!

Yorker
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I actually enjoyed the first 3 but I love Vampire romance books.. :hearts:

however the 4th... pppppp uuuuuuuuu :lol:

Worst shit I ever read, I was getting all excited thinking there was going to be a huge vampire battle, then blehhh, i was pissed.

darrinbaker00
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM
We are just human. What can I say? :shrug: I think I've already expressed how I feel about the whole thing, so no need to rehash.

But regarding your surprise and refusal to believe that we are so "gullible" as you put it, people in this forum have pushed you over the edge in the past. So much so that you've been banned. Were you being gullible or just human? I'm not throwing stones, because been there done that more than twice. But my point is, you're human, and sometimes things go too far whether it's someone in your face physically, someone on a message board or some commentators on television. It's human to rail at injustice and hypocrisy. They have a bully pulpit and say things that may not influence you and I, but may influence people who can and should be regarded as gullible. People who prefer to believe what they hear, instead of seeking the truth. This is my frustration. Because there are no dissenting voices on that bully pulpit.

I'm frustrated that I can't do anything about the hypocrisy, so the only way I know how to relieve that frustration is be glad when Justine and Kim lose. Maybe then, these commentators will shut their fucking mouthes and appreciate the humanity and the tennis of all of the players. Not just a select two.

Don't be so quick to judge based on how you would handle things. We are different people. I see hypocrisy and injustice, and I want to do or say something about it. You may not feel that way. But just because I do, doesn't make me gullible. Their objective is not to rile me up, but to reel me into their way of thinking. What they've accomplished is to rile me up. I wouldn't say that was gullible in any sense of the meaning of the word.
First of all, I wasn't banned because I was pushed over the edge; I was banned because my style of posting pushed another poster over the edge, and he felt compelled to report me to the moderators. Secondly, if you are getting riled up over what some talking head says during a tennis match, then said talking head has accomplished his or her objective. When I don't like what I'm watching on TV, I watch something else. Perhaps those of you who are dissatisfied with ESPN's tennis coverage should do the same.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:19 PM
First of all, I wasn't banned because I was pushed over the edge; I was banned because my style of posting pushed another poster over the edge, and he felt compelled to report me to the moderators. Secondly, if you are getting riled up over what some talking head says during a tennis match, then said talking head has accomplished his or her objective. When I don't like what I'm watching on TV, I watch something else. Perhaps those of you who are dissatisfied with ESPN's tennis coverage should do the same.

Spin it anyway you like, you went over the edge because someone said something you didn't like, whether it was your "style of posting" or not. That's nothing to be ashamed about. It's happened to me. :shrug:

:lol: Why would their objective be to rile any viewer up? They don't want to lose viewers.

Anyway, your suggestion is stupid. I'm a tennis fan and I'm not going to forego watching something I enjoy because the commentators are saying things I don't like. There is a mute button. But ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away. We are all expressing our frustration with their commentary, whether it's negative toward certain players or overly positive. Either way it's biased and as tennis fans, we should put our heads together to figure out how we can get our message across to the network.

DOUBLEFIST
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:39 PM
We, who have cable, have no choice regarding who we listen to. I much prefer the Aussie commentators. The only time I've heard them is on a replay of a match on the TC. Otherwise, most of us with cable are left with the morons.

Damn, that sucks. I understand the frustration now.

You can't very well turn down the audio, because you miss so much of the environment - the ball strikes, the crowd, the grunts...etc - so you're stuck with the jackasses.

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Damn, that sucks. I understand the frustration now.

You can't very well turn down the audio, because you miss so much of the environment - the ball strikes, the crowd, the grunts...etc - so you're stuck with the jackasses.

Exactly.

Midnight_Robber
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM
We are just human. What can I say? :shrug:

I'm not throwing stones, because been there done that more than twice. But my point is, you're human, and sometimes things go too far whether it's someone in your face physically, someone on a message board or some commentators on television. It's human to rail at injustice and hypocrisy. They have a bully pulpit and say things that may not influence you and I, but may influence people who can and should be regarded as gullible. People who prefer to believe what they hear, instead of seeking the truth. This is my frustration. Because there are no dissenting voices on that bully pulpit.

Absolutely.
'Bully pulpit' is the perfect term Denise for the power imbalance that exists between MSM and laypeople, and the kind of power that they can wield in terms of shaping, manipulating the public imagination.

But then looking at the existence of echo chambers, and the lack of a diversity of views it's no wonder whether it's sports or politics, fewer people feel that they can trust the media anymore.

Sure it's only sports, but commentators have the power to misrepresent, mislead and frankly mis-educate their viewers on the sport and players in question. Listen to them and you don't learn anything or gain any insight (which is supposed to be the point of commentary) - just high blood pressure and a headache. Commentary isn't supposed to be white noise that you suffer through or run away from by turning the channel.

I can't tell the number of times I've heard some casual viewer repeat some ignorant, farcical nonsense about some player - usually because they know little about the sport anyway and heard some misleading sound-byte from some moron on air.

I remember one poster in particular saying something inane about *everybody* having favourites and comparing this board to the ESPN crew. I was about to write an angry response because I was incensed by their stupidity. *We* can have favourites and be opinionated and biased as we like because we are ultimately on an obscure internet fan-board and nobody is paying us for this and we don't have that degree of power to impact on public opinion.

The commentators don't have that leeway - they have an actual job to do, and if they don't want to do that job and instead prefer to be unbalanced fan-girls and fanboys - then they can do it on their own personal time.

When I don't like what I'm watching on TV, I watch something else.

Wow. What a solution.
As for Darrinbaker - you still don't get it do you? If people are paying money for sports broadcasts - or even if it is a free public service - they have a *right* to want and expect decent quality commentary, demand that they get it, and object if they don't. Switching the channel is as useful as hiding under the couch. It isn't intelligent or pragmatic or evidence of 'how you keep your cool' because you're just running away from the situation. I think it's a useless approach because it put no pressure on these people to be professionals and to do better. Sorry, but I'm never going to apologise for having actual standards and expectation.

G1Player2
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Exactly.

Did you hear Pam Shriver say, "Now, I know what's been missing these last 20 months," while Justine was playing last night? :fiery: Where was this sentiment during the 2007 AO when Serena came back from months of injuries and all we heard the commentators say how unfit she is, isn't dedicated to tennis, other outside interests, wasted her talent, and that she had no shot to win the title? That's what made that tournament so memorable is how the commentators all counted her out.

But, when Justine comes back from retirement, NOT from injury mind you, they claim how tennis is now saved and that the void has been filled since she returned. OMG, these commentators have never pissed me off as much as they have this year. I hope Serena never plays Fed Cup for their asses. :mad:

Denise4925
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Did you hear Pam Shriver say, "Now, I know what's been missing these last 20 months," while Justine was playing last night? :fiery: Where was this sentiment during the 2007 AO when Serena came back from months of injuries and all we heard the commentators say how unfit she is, isn't dedicated to tennis, other outside interests, wasted her talent, and that she had no shot to win the title? That's what made that tournament so memorable is how the commentators all counted her out.

But, when Justine comes back from retirement, NOT from injury mind you, they claim how tennis is now saved and that the void has been filled since she returned. OMG, these commentators have never pissed me off as much as they have this year. I hope Serena never plays Fed Cup for their asses. :mad:

Yes, I did. :mad: I concur. It's seriously vomit inducing. :rolleyes: Oh and how Mary Carillo gushed that Justine's style of tennis was the perfect style of tennis and it hasn't been seen since she's been gone.

Midnight_Robber
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
...We should put our heads together to figure out how we can get our message across to the network.

Exactly. Sure beats "changing the channel" as a strategy for change, that's for sure.

Denise4925
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:01 AM
Sure it's only sports, but commentators have the power to misrepresent, mislead and frankly mis-educate their viewers on the sport and players in question. Listen to them and you don't learn anything or gain any insight (which is supposed to be the point of commentary) - just high blood pressure and a headache. Commentary isn't supposed to be white noise that you suffer through or run away from by turning the channel.

The commentators don't have that leeway - they have an actual job to do, and if they don't want to do that job and instead prefer to be unbalanced fan-girls and fanboys - then they can do it on their own personal time.

Wow. What a solution.
As for Darrinbaker - you still don't get it do you? If people are paying money for sports broadcasts - or even if it is a free public service - they have a *right* to want and expect decent quality commentary, demand that they get it, and object if they don't. Switching the channel is as useful as hiding under the couch. It isn't intelligent or pragmatic or evidence of 'how you keep your cool' because you're just running away from the situation. I think it's a useless approach because it put no pressure on these people to be professionals and to do better. Sorry, but I'm never going to apologise for having actual standards and expectation.

Absolutely true. All of it. :worship:

Apoleb
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:02 AM
One of the best ways to show your disapproval is to boycott them. There are plenty of live streams on the net.

Denise4925
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:03 AM
Exactly. Sure beats "changing the channel" as a strategy for change, that's for sure.

:shrug: I'm open for ideas. We can bombard ESPN with letters of complaint. Is that ever effective if everyone doesn't participate? They are not reading their blog commentary. So, that's ineffective.

Denise4925
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:05 AM
One of the best ways to show your disapproval is to boycott them. There are plenty of live streams on the net.

That's true, but I don't want to watch major tennis tournaments on the net on my computer. I want to watch it on my TV. I don't have that connection that allows you to watch things from the net on your TV.

G1Player2
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM

:rolleyes: But they'd still be getting away with their nasty commentary. I mean, the World No.1, 11 time Grand slam champion who has won all 4 majors is getting disrespected like this? I mean Justine and Kim are good, but they are acting like they are God's gifts to tennis when on paper Serena has accomplished more than both of them combined? Did you watch AO 2007 and how the commentators demonized Serena like she had not shot to win the title? Mind you, Serena was coming off of a serious injury. She didn't retire because she was done with the game, tired of training, wanted to start a family and make babies, etc. She still remained dedicated and focused on the game despite the injuries yet Kim and Justine are praised for coming back to a sport that they claimed they were leaving completely.

G1Player2
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:10 AM
That's true, but I don't want to watch major tennis tournaments on the net on my computer. I want to watch it on my TV. I don't have that connection that allows you to watch things from the net on your TV.

That won't fix the problem though Denise. With most boycotts, despite not consuming their products, or if it's on TV not watching a program, they protest, march, start petitions, etc. That's a successful boycotting. Just not watching won't get the message across of what we want to convey.

Denise4925
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM
That won't fix the problem though Denise. With most boycotts, despite not consuming their products, or if it's on TV not watching a program, they protest, march, start petitions, etc. That's a successful boycotting. Just not watching won't get the message across of what we want to convey.

Yes. They have to know why we are boycotting. I get it, but I was making a different point, albeit selfish, but different. :lol:

Nicolás89
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:17 AM
Seriously, you are making a storm in a glass of water.

Midnight_Robber
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:20 AM

I use this strategy along with refusing to subscribe to ESPN for anything (I live in NZ) I actually almost cried when I came across a Justin TV ESPN tennis live-feed that was talking all over the top of the bloody match (:lol:) I frantically started hunting for Eurosport or any other channel. But when I had the shittiest broad-band connection in the world a couple of years ago, it wouldn't have been an option. I'm happy to listen to matches in Russian, Italian or Spanish and pick up a few words here and there if I have to.

:shrug: I'm open for ideas. We can bombard ESPN with letters of complaint. Is that ever effective if everyone doesn't participate? They are not reading their blog commentary. So, that's ineffective.

I remember when an old board I used to be a member of was used to have letter writing campaigns. (At the time, I thought it was ineffective and was more a 'change the channel' person - until I actually *heard* some ESPN commentary. :smash:) Sometimes these have an effect if there are enough of them and its a co-ordinated, but they have the power to annoy them, but that's it.

Boycotting hits them where it hurts. I also think that if more tennis blogs and amateur journos who actually love the sport, publicly called ESPN and their ilk out for their crap on blogs and v-logs and kept at it... :shrug: I don't love Steve Tignor, but he did write an article that got a lot of responses from readers, on bad commentary ruins the game. Maybe petitioning more balanced journos to bring attention to the issue might work. For those who have the finances to to actually attend live matches, maybe a few ESPN commentary = Unprofessional" protest signs might do the trick? :lol:

The other thing of course is that we need a greater diversity of people (gender, race, class) and perspectives in the commentary booth - but that's the long term goal.

Donny
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:23 AM
Dick Enberg, in particular, should know better. He would NEVER get away with that kind of fluffing while doing NFL play by plays.

edificio
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:40 AM

Yeah, I agree. I didn't think the quality was that high. I felt as though I was watching a different match.

But on the topic of ESPN, I might write a letter of complaint, but I think I'm going to simply watch online now and give ESPN's coverage a pass. They really ought to try to question their assumptions before sharing their opinions with us. They obviously have a right to their opinion, but I'm really there to watch the tennis and not to hear their thoughts on the matter. Just show the tennis, ESPN!

Denise4925
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM
Seriously, everyone who has agreed with the OP should make a pact right here and now to start a letter writing campaign. We should take our message to the journalists, as Midnight suggested. It doesn't matter who they like or what they write, they need a good story and something like this would do the trick.

Midnight_Robber
Jan 21st, 2010, 01:23 AM
I'm in.

Arnian
Jan 21st, 2010, 01:31 AM
Kim is extremely popular, and this whole WS fan hatred of all the commentators is getting old

darrinbaker00
Jan 21st, 2010, 01:38 AM
ABC Sports used to receive thousands of angry letters every week about Howard Cosell, but did they get rid of him? Of course not; all those letters did was let them know that there were people watching. The only language TV executives understand is the ratings numbers, and that will never change.

Another thing that will never change is biased tennis commentary, because as long as there has been tennis on television, there have been tennis announcers with a conflict of interest. Donald Dell would often be in the booth when both players on the court were clients of his. Tony Trabert and Arthur Ashe never excused themselves when their Davis Cup players were on the court, and neither did Billie Jean King when she was Fed Cup captain. More than any other sport, tennis has been guilty of breaking the unwritten "broadcaster objectivity" rule, and it will probably always be that way. You can either continue to let it frustrate you, or you can accept/overlook it and enjoy the tennis. I choose the latter.

darrinbaker00
Jan 21st, 2010, 01:40 AM
Dick Enberg, in particular, should know better. He would NEVER get away with that kind of fluffing while doing NFL play by plays.
There you go comparing apples to oranges again.....