PDA

View Full Version : After 1R rate the top contenders

Expat
May 26th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Rate those who you think are top contenders or dark horses for the FO after the first round
Here's mine.

Safina A+
Serena C played bad but if her knee holds up she can beat anyone
Venus B-
Elena A-
Jankovic B-
Sveta didnt see her match but she is definitely a contender
Ana C- she is not winning playing like this

Craig.
May 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Ana C-? She played one of her best matches in months.

SvetaPleaseWin.
May 26th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Sveta A+ for 1st set, B+ for 2nd id say

southern star
May 26th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Safina A
Serena C (obviously in trouble: even with the knee trouble she shouldn't be dropping a set to someone like Zakapalooza.)
Dementieva B
Venus B
JJ A
Ana B
Kuz B
Wozza C
Azza B

OZTENNIS
May 26th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Safina A+
Serena C+ but it is pointless reading into a R1 struggle for her.
Venus B
Elena B- losing 7 games to Scheepers :spit:
Jankovic B+ very solid but as usual unspectacular
Sveta B pretty poor second set against a girl that moved like a cow on ice
Ana B still plays dumb a lot of the time

The Daviator
May 26th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Um...

Differentials for the top players after round 1 -

Ivanovic - +12
Kuznetsova - +9
Sharapova - +7
Venus - +4
Serena - 0
Safina - 0
Jankovic - -1
Dementieva - -13

Tennisstar86
May 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Ana C-? She played one of her best matches in months.

which is pretty sad..... anyways... Safina A+?... just cause she double bageled some poor girl.....

I didnt see the match, but usually a double bagel speaks more for the person who couldnt manage to get a game than the person who did the bageling....Someone playing a hot mess all you have to do is be solid to get that result.... Waay too soon to be throwin out A+

duhcity
May 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I think Ana deserves at least a B. Her forehand is absolutely crazy, and that alone can probably get her to the 4r if it stays how it did in the first round. She's probably better than anyone on that side at the moment.
Safina: A+. Damn
Serena: C. I would give a D, but I watched her doubles and it was a lot better.
Venus: B. Oh Venus. Stop giving me a heart Attack
Elena: B. Didnt watch. Just assuming
Sveta: B+. The girl really improved in the second set. Still expect her to make the Semis and probably mentally collapse.

And JJ. Her forehand is better than its been since the YEC, and her backhand is coming around. She's just making too many errors on shots that could be winners. B+

which is pretty sad..... anyways... Safina A+?... just cause she double bageled some poor girl.....

I didnt see the match, but usually a double bagel speaks more for the person who couldnt manage to get a game than the person who did the bageling....Someone playing a hot mess all you have to do is be solid to get that result.... Waay too soon to be throwin out A+

You have to watch that match to know.
I doubt she can keep up that level. Keothavong didn't deserve that bagel at all. She was playing pretty well, but Dinara was too good

MrSerenaWilliams
May 26th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Serena was EVEN?!?! I thought she hit way more errors :shrug: well it was her first win since beating Vee in Miami :shrug:

Safina - A: didn't get challenged by Anne, but didn't allow that to make her complacent
Serena - B- : I think the 2002 USO was the last time Serena had a dominant first round and went on to win a major....she's won 5 other ones since then
Venus - B: Mattek is a good player, and I mean Venus and Serena really don't need to post 6-0 6-0 scorelines to strike fear into the field...they just need to advance
Elena - B: I didn't see her match, but she got through. The Dokic encounter will be MUCH more telling
Jelena - B: Average performance. Didn't really impress me....but it's the 1st round.
Sveta - A- : I have high hopes for her. I hope she can do well here (but not too well).

Mr.Kardashian
May 27th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Safina

Kuznetsova

Venus
Serena

Dementieva

Jankovic

Ivanovic

DemWilliamsGulls
May 27th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Its waaaay to early to tell. You never know with Venus and Serena..they can start off playing horribly in the first week and then end up winning the whole thing..(Venus wimbledon 2005, Serena Australian 2007) dont sleep on them...I never count my girls out until they are actually beaten!

goldenlox
May 27th, 2009, 12:08 AM
My evaluation of the major contenders.

Dinara - I judge her by holding serve. She hasn't been broken in her last 2 matches.
She's improving in that, and to win majors she has to hold constantly in week 2

Serena - Whenever she's still in the draw she's dangerous.

Venus - I think she's capable of stepping up in week 2 also, so she just needs to win

Elena - I don't think she's played well since January. So I'll take any wins as a positive.

Jelena - She seems off her best form the whole year. Still like that in round 1

Svetlana - I think she has a big shot. But if she has to beat Serena, Elena and Dinara in a row, that's a tough draw.

Ana - I still think her power makes her very dangerous

AnnaK_4ever
May 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Ivanovic played by far the best match among all title contenders. Dementieva played the worst.

southern star
May 27th, 2009, 12:27 AM
"I didnt see the match, but usually a double bagel speaks more for the person who couldnt manage to get a game than the person who did the bageling..."

I don't think that's a rational analysis. 6-0 6-0 means there was a huge gulf between the players: this could be because one was very weak on the day, or it could be because the other was very strong on the day, or both. Against a top-50 player, a double bagel is the strongest possible evidence of good form in the victor.

If we followed your analysis, we'd judge Safina better if she'd lost a couple of games, rather than effecting the shut-out.

Dave.
May 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Safina was the best, Ivanovic next.

Jankovic didn't look all that great, just enough to get through.

Serena played alright, could've been better but got through. If anything, she got the most from her 1R in terms of time on court, getting into the tournament. In a way, that's more ideal than beating a player inside an hour.

I didn't see Dementieva's.

The 1st week is of little significance regarding who is going to win. You just need to get through. The second week (4R+) is basically a different tournament alltogether.

Optima
May 27th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Safina and Ivanovic looked the best.

I noticed Jelena's forehand looked pretty good, she was hitting it hard and flat at times. Is the world turning upside down, or something? :rolls: That only happened at the end of last year.

AnnaK_4ever
May 27th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Safina's win is overrated. She hit 24 UEs in 12 games against one of the most primitive players on the tour who is just no match for any top gun.

Dave.
May 27th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Safina's win is overrated. She hit 24 UEs in 12 games against one of the most primitive players on the tour who is just no match for any top gun.

Perhaps.

Still, for me what was most impressive about Dinara was her attitude. She wasn't messing, she wanted every point. Looks like someone who is here only to win it. It is one of the few times I've enjoyed watching her play.

southern star
May 27th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Keo did beat a seeded player at the US Open.

Although I would agree she is no match for the top 10, her 7-5 6-2 loss to Venus at Wimbledon is probably more what you'd expect, rather than the box of bagels.

Temperenka
May 27th, 2009, 12:55 AM
No one mentioning 9 seed, Azarenka. She looked very good against Vinci.. who is one of the harder clay court opponents.

Safina, Kuzzy, JJ, all looked good imo.
Ana, Elena, Venus all looked alright
Serena needs to step it up

Renalicious
May 27th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Safina :A domination.
Serena :C but she's always a C in 1r's anyway. :shrug:
Venus : B- just your typical Venus RG R1 match.
Elena : B- Didn't see the match but quite comfortable scoreline.
Jelena : B Average performance.
Sveta : A- A good performance.

Horizon
May 27th, 2009, 01:07 AM
It seems feedback of Ana's match is very mixed :lol:

I wouldn't say much has changed.

Safina: A+, Clinical, in form, professional, great conditioning, motivated.
Serena: C, but still one of the favourites, early rounds mean nothing for her.
Venus: B, pretty typical from her.
Ana: B-, forehand looked good, but she was far from comfortable, many things to improve.
Jelena: average win, doesn't say much.
Elena: another average, routine win.

Didn't see Sveta's match.

I don't think anybody's chances have changed, but I might be a little more confident in Ana than I was.

RenaSlam.
May 27th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Ivanovic played by far the best match among all title contenders. Dementieva played the worst.

Please. Her serve was off and almost every backhand landed just beyond the service line or in front of it.

Safina played the best by far.

-jenks-
May 27th, 2009, 01:12 AM
It's going to be a Safina vs. Kuznetsova final (mark my words)

Shvedbarilescu
May 27th, 2009, 01:14 AM

I don't understand. Ivanovic won by a score of 7-6 6-3. The player she beat was Sara Errani. This is the same Sara Errani who in February you said of...

I watched Amelie's matches against Niculescu, Radwanska and Jankovic and a bit of her match against Errani.

These wins tell nothing, absolutely nothing about Amelie's chances against Dementieva because Dementieva is not just stronger than all those pushers, she is stronger than all of them combined.
Any top-30 player should destroy Niculescu and Errani because they are THAT bad.

My question is how can a 7-6 6-3 win over "a pusher" who any top 30 player should destroy because they are THAT bad be regarded as the best 1st round match out of all the title contenders? Something here just doesn't add up. :scratch:

Horizon
May 27th, 2009, 01:15 AM
It's going to be a Safina vs. Kuznetsova final (mark my words)
I wouldn't disagree.

If not Kuzzy, then Jelena.

slamchamp
May 27th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Safina's win is overrated. She hit 24 UEs in 12 games against one of the most primitive players on the tour who is just no match for any top gun.do u ever support any player from your country? safina defenetily played the best admit it:rolleyes:

Shvedbarilescu
May 27th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Safina :A+ Outstandingly good combination of power and discipline, mental and physical strength.
Serena :C Looked vunerable mentally and in terms of movement. Hit well when she had time but generally hit waywardly when she had to move to the ball.
Venus : B- Up and down. Some good shots some bad. A bit sloppy at times but never looked like losing.
Elena : B- After a poor start not bad. But falling down by two breaks against the world 149 still cause for some concern.
Jelena : B Adequate but nothing special.
Ana : B- Quite a good match with some nice points but Ana still looked quite vunerable and not always convincing. Ana's serve and her weakness on the big points were both causes for concern.
Sveta: B+ Very solid professional performance. Sveta never had to leave her comfort zone.

mboyle
May 27th, 2009, 01:56 AM
"I didnt see the match, but usually a double bagel speaks more for the person who couldnt manage to get a game than the person who did the bageling..."

I don't think that's a rational analysis. 6-0 6-0 means there was a huge gulf between the players: this could be because one was very weak on the day, or it could be because the other was very strong on the day, or both. Against a top-50 player, a double bagel is the strongest possible evidence of good form in the victor.

If we followed your analysis, we'd judge Safina better if she'd lost a couple of games, rather than effecting the shut-out.

look at winner/ufe ratio.

madlove
May 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
dinara is on fire where as i'm extremely underwhelmed by serena.

charmedRic
May 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM
It's way too early to be picking winners & losers.

Wait till after the 3rd round...then you can gauge better.

Tennisstar86
May 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM

Which says to me you dont play tennis.... The biggest difference between the mens and womens games is that the men hold serve constantly.... Seeing as this girl didnt get a game it says to me she either didnt serve well at all, or cant serve at all.... regardless. You should never get double bagelled if you can place your serve well. It onyl takes 4 points to win a game....

I dished out some double bagels before, and while i played well, each time it was because the person i played did not serve well...

Tennisstar86
May 27th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I don't understand. Ivanovic won by a score of 7-6 6-3. The player she beat was Sara Errani. This is the same Sara Errani who in February you said of...

My question is how can a 7-6 6-3 win over "a pusher" who any top 30 player should destroy because they are THAT bad be regarded as the best 1st round match out of all the title contenders? Something here just doesn't add up. :scratch:

:tape::lol:

look at winner/ufe ratio.

thank you. She had a 0 differential...... For such an "amazing" match I expect better...
Look at the stats people....

1 ace to 4 double faults
24/24
6/14 break point conversion =43%
Her second serve winning percentage wasnt even that good at 40%
Her serve percentage was good 67%, but its not like shes serving bombs people...

Melly Flew Us
May 27th, 2009, 02:50 AM
safina b+
serena e- only reason it isn't an f is coz she won
vee c+
elena c
jankovic c+
kuzzie c+
ana c

no one gets an a until finals day.

southern star
May 27th, 2009, 03:22 AM
"Which says to me you dont play tennis...."

Wrong again. You're 0 for 2 today.

southern star
May 27th, 2009, 03:24 AM
"It's going to be a Safina vs. Kuznetsova final (mark my words)"

Okay, I've marked them.

hawkeye08
May 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Safina and Ivanovic looked the best. The winner should come from that section of the draw!

InsideOut.
May 27th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Ana gets a C- while Sveta gets a B for losing 5 games to Feuerstein? :tape: You really need to watch the matches again. :scratch:

Safina A- ... Great attitude but still many shaky errors and DFs
Serena C+ ... Monumental choking but at least she got through
Venus B ... Lapse in the second set but regrouped nicely in the third
Dementieva C ... Dropping 7 games to Scheepers, including the first three games is not amazing
Jankovic B+ ... She wasn't feeling the ball well early in the first set but upped the level to win convincingly
Kuznetsova B- ... She would never have lost to Feuerstein but the first set was pretty good
Ivanovic B+ ... Regardless of what some people may say, she did not play badly - just not at her best

southern star
May 27th, 2009, 03:56 AM
"It's way too early to be picking winners & losers.
Wait till after the 3rd round...then you can gauge better."

That's true.

homogenius
May 27th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Safina A (didn't see the match but a double bagel to start was the perfect way to show that pressure or not she's here to win.And Dinara ALWAYS hit ue and df, even when she's playing well)
Ana B (fh was on, serve sucked and she's not much more confident than the past few months but Errani played well so it was a good win)
Jelena B (match stopped for 2 hours, windy conditions, she lost focus at times but reacted immediately each time.Not spectacular but an easy win at the end)
Elena ?(didn't watch it, dunno)
Venus C+ (result was never in doubt but she still lost a set to Mattek...on clay)
Serena C- (decent hitting when she was on the ball but she was slow and really passive while letting kookie firing winners right and left.Seemed AFRAID to lose)
Sveta : same as Elena

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 27th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Safina :cool:
Serena :rolleyes:
Venus :(
Elena :confused:
Jankovic :)
Sveta :)
Ana :confused:

:cool: = On the way to victory
:) = Looking good.
:confused: = Undetermined.
:rolleyes: = Hot Mess
:( = Needs improvement.

vwfan
May 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Safina is playing like Kim Clijsters played in the early rounds of slams--just devastating her opponents and beating convincingly those players she's supposed to beat.

The question is. . .will she be the Kim that:

repeatedly collapses in the final stages of the major

OR

the one that won everything in sight (losing only one match) in the run-up to her major, including beating Venus Williams in a tight match (which gave her confidence) and then finally delivered and won her first (and only) Grand Slam title.

AnnaK_4ever
May 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM

After Ivanovic/Errani match I said I had never expected Errani to play THAT good. I was really impressed with her game -- don't know if it's because of clay courts or not, I tend to think it is.

I was wrong calling Sara a helpless pusher. I do admit it.

The Dawntreader
May 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Safina- A. Controlled, efficient. She has a somewhat muderous look on her face this year:lol:
Serena- C +. H:lol:ad to guts it out, but her movement is much improved and her fighting qualities are still intact. Form is relative for Serena.
Venus- B-. Solid for the most part, but her second serve wasc exploited too much in the second. Her movement and general ball-striking seems pretty sound though.
Jankovic- B. Uber-consistent and moving probably better than she has all year. Still a bit too defensive, but routine enough.
Dementieva- C. Dementieva's matches early on in Slams are hardly ever pretty.
Ana- B. Played great 'defending Champ' tennis. She's not giving that much away.
Sveta- A-. She's rolling.

Shvedbarilescu
May 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM
After Ivanovic/Errani match I said I had never expected Errani to play THAT good. I was really impressed with her game -- don't know if it's because of clay courts or not, I tend to think it is.

I was wrong calling Sara a helpless pusher. I do admit it.

Classy post. :yeah:

exoneuk
May 27th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Serena did it where it counted and that's enough to give her a passing grade. She'll start picking up steam from about now.
Safina was imperious in the opening round. As has been said, Keothavong didn't deserve the bagel. She played well but against Safina it was never enough and she slapped her down with some damn fine tennis. She's easily the top contender as of right now... but things can change!
Dementieva's brain fart yesterday might work against her in the long run here...
Ivanovic? Can't see her defending her title if I'm honest. She was wobbly at times BUT, like Serena, if she can pick up steam, then she might pull it off.
Venus can often be erratic but despite her first round blip, she stormed through that third set so again, no reason to discount her.
Not seen any of Kuznetsova's matches yet...

Anyone else catching my eye? Not really...