PDA

View Full Version : Hawk-Eye at the French Open

Keegan
May 26th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Why do they not use it at the French Open? I believe the Masters 1000 clay events have it, so why not the FO?

ElusiveChanteuse
May 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM
You can detect those ball marks on clay so I assume it's not very necessary to have it.:unsure:

ViennaCalling
May 26th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I guess you have no idea how expensive such a Hawk-Eye is :lol:

And you can see all the marks quite well on Clay - so no need for it :wavey:

Kipling
May 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
There was a great explanation of this on TTC the other day.

The fear is that Hawkeye might actually be correct on a call that looks "obvious" because of the mark. The lines are raised very slightly, in effect making it possible that a ball could theoretically touch the line on its way down but still make a mark totally outside the line. Hawkeye would then "see" the ball as in, while an examination of the mark would show it out. There would be more anger from players if Hawkeye were used than you could possibly imagine, in the end. That's the jist of what the analyst said, anyway.

DokicToServe
May 26th, 2009, 01:40 PM
There was a great explanation of this on TTC the other day.

The fear is that Hawkeye might actually be correct on a call that looks "obvious" because of the mark. The lines are raised very slightly, in effect making it possible that a ball could theoretically touch the line on its way down but still make a mark totally outside the line. Hawkeye would then "see" the ball as in, while an examination of the mark would show it out. There would be more anger from players if Hawkeye were used than you could possibly imagine, in the end. That's the jist of what the analyst said, anyway.

Still they should just have one way to do the slams. Either enforce hawk-eye everywhere or abandon it altogether. :p

-jenks-
May 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Still they should just have one way to do the slams. Either enforce hawk-eye everywhere or abandon it altogether. :p

none of the grand slams are connected to each other. They are all independent.

TheBoiledEgg
May 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
they have Hawk-Eye at the Masters on Clay but they dont use it for challenges
they just use it for TV purposes.

Kipling
May 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I've seen it used by TTC at RG this year as well, for illustrative purposes, so the tournament site does have the Hawkeye cams installed. They just don't want to use it for fear of the tradition being shown up by the technology.

Vegeto
May 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hawk-eye helps on some shots that can't be judged accurately by the judge. That's the fact for every tennis game on any kinds of courts. So I can't see the reasonable reason to not use Hawk-eye on this big tournament. It only means Roland Garros gives absolute justice to the judges though their accuracy is limited. It's something undeveloped that makes this tournament my least favorite.

-jenks-
May 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
If hawk eye was ever used on a clay tournament for official challenges, it would cause absolute chaos! Just imagine if the hawk-eye showed a ball was in, but the player can clearly see a gap on the mark. The player would be furious, and then the crowd would get involved into it. There's just no use to use hawk-eye on a clay court when the court leaves a clear mark.

Vegeto
May 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
^Clear marks??? Always? by eyes, It's never have something called "STANDARD". How can you know that the ball left a full mark, is there a "CLEAR" standard to consider the marks, what if strong wind just makes changes to the mark or there are a lot of marks left before. The truth is that the absolute decision is still on the judges which their ability to accurately judge with CLEAR STANDARD is still limited.

ms_nut
May 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I think they should have Hawk-eye.

The whole idea of having it is to get rid of human error.. You may be able to look at marks on clay, but there are times when people don't know what the right mark was or whether it caught a piece of the line.. Also, players can rightfully question calls without being booed.

Keegan
May 26th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I've seen many shots played that could've been proved out by hawk-eye and it's ridiculous. I reckon they should at least install it for television purposes.

Tennis Ball
May 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I've seen it used by TTC at RG this year as well, for illustrative purposes, so the tournament site does have the Hawkeye cams installed. They just don't want to use it for fear of the tradition being shown up by the technology.

:rolleyes: