PDA

View Full Version : French Open 2009: Andrew's reports (preview + 1r + 2r)

andrewbroad
May 26th, 2009, 03:24 AM
=============
ROLAND GARROS (Paris, France; red clay; Major)
============= http://www.rolandgarros.com/
Contents
--------

1. UK TV-alert
2. First-round draw
3. Jelena Dokić preview
4. Women's Doubles: First-round draw
5. Order of play for Tuesday

My French Open 2009 master-thread:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=379808

--------------
1. UK TV-alert
--------------

The French Open will be televised on BBC Red Button from 10:00 BST each day of the tournament (digital viewers press Red or select the appropriate Freeview-channel - 301 or 302).

Sunday 24th May to Friday 5th June, 10:00-19:00, BBC Red Button
Women's final: Saturday 6th June, 14:00-16:30, BBC 2
Men's final: Sunday 7th June: 14:00-18:00, BBC 2

-------------------
2. First-round draw (Sunday and Monday's losers removed)
-------------------

The players on the left are the ones I want to win.

2.1 Top quarter
---------------

* DINARA SAFINA [1] won
* Vitalia Diatchenko [Q,S] won
* Julie Coin won
* ANASTASIA PAVLYUCHENKOVA [27] won

* Polona Hercog [Q] won
* Aravane Rezaď won
* Michelle Larcher de Brito [Q] won
* ZHENG,JIE [15] won

* VICTORIA AZARENKA [9] won
* Kristina Barrois won
* Lucie Hradecká [s] won
* CARLA SUÁREZ NAVARRO [22] won

* IVETA BENEŠOVÁ [32] won
* Alla Kudryavtseva won
* Tamarine Tanasugarn won
* ANA IVANOVIĆ [8,DF] won

2.2 Second quarter: Lucie Šafářová, Maria Sharapova
---------------------------------------------------

* VENUS WILLIAMS [3] won
* Lucie Šafářová [EF] won
* Elena Vesnina won
* ÁGNES SZÁVAY [29] won

* DOMINIKA CIBULKOVÁ [20] won
* Kirsten Flipkens won
* Gisela Dulko [DF] won
* Anna-Lena Grönefeld won

* NADIA PETROVA [11] won
* Maria Sharapova [EF] won
* Arantxa Rus [Q] won
* Yaroslava Shvedova [Q] won

* LI,NA [25] won
* Timea Bacsinszky won
* Akgul Amanmuradova won
* Olga Govortsova won

2.3 Third quarter: Daniela Hantuchová, Jelena Dokić
---------------------------------------------------

* Petra Cetkovská v JELENA JANKOVIĆ [5] (pojďme Petra!)
* Magdaléna Rybáriková [DF] v Kristina Mladenović [WC] (poďme Magda!)
* Jarmila Groth won
* Mariana Duque Marino [LL] won

* ALIZÉ CORNET [21] v Maret Ani (allez Alizé!)
* Sorana Cîrstea v Carly Gullickson [Q] (hai Sorana!)
* Jill Craybas won
* CAROLINE WOZNIACKI [10] v Vera Dushevina, 4-6 7-5 *0-0

* MARION BARTOLI [13,DF,S] won
* Tathiana Garbin won
* Daniela Hantuchová [EF] v Virginie Razzano (POĎME DANIELA!!)
* Ekaterina Makarova v ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES [18]

* SAMANTHA STOSUR [30] v Francesca Schiavone
* Urszula Radwańska v Yanina Wickmayer (my loyalty is to Urszula)
* Jelena Dokić [EF] v Karolina Šprem [DF] (my loyalty is to JELENA)
* ELENA DEMENTIEVA [4] v Chanelle Scheepers [Q]

2.4 Bottom quarter: Nicole Vaidišová
------------------------------------

* SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA [7] v Claire Feuerstein [WC]
* Sania Mirza [DF] v Galina Voskoboeva (go Sania!)
* Anastasija Sevastova [Q] v Melinda Czink
* Nathalie Dechy v SYBILLE BAMMER [28]

* Kateryna Bondarenko won
* Olivia Rogowska [WC] won
* Mariya Koryttseva won
* AGNIESZKA RADWAŃSKA [12] won

* Alexa Glatch won
* Lourdes Domínguez Lino won
* Mara Santangelo v Petra Martić [Q]
* Monica Niculescu [s] v ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK [24] (hai Monica!)

* PENG,SHUAI [31,S] v María José Martínez Sánchez (jia you Shuai!)
* Viktoriya Kutuzova v Zuzana Ondrášková [Q] (my loyalty is to Viktoriya)
* Nicole Vaidišová [EF] v Virginia Ruano Pascual (my loyalty is to NICOLE)
* Klára Zakopalová v SERENA WILLIAMS [2] (pojďme Klára!)

-----------------------
3. Jelena Dokić preview
-----------------------

Jelena made an amazing comeback to reach the quarter-finals of the Australian Open ranked #187 - beating world #80 Tamira Paszek 6-2 3-6 6-4, #18 Anna Chakvetadze 6-4 6-7 6-3, #12 Caroline Wozniacki 3-6 6-1 6-2, and #31 Alisa Kleybanova 7-5 5-7 8-6 before losing 6-4 4-6 6-4 to #3 Dinara Safina.

But Jelena warned us at the time that it would be difficult to keep up that form, and so it has proved. She won two matches to qualify for Memphis, but Wozniacki took a 6-1 6-2 revenge. She lost 6-4 6-2 to #102 Jill Craybas at Indian Wells, and blamed tiredness due to a bad schedule of tournaments.

After beating #68 Edina Gallovits at Miami, Jelena lost to Wozniacki again - this time 6-3 5-7 6-2 - then pulled out of Ponte Vedra Beach with sports-fatigue syndrome.

Jelena contributed a win over Stefanie Vögele to Australia's Fed Cup victory over Switzerland in the World Group II play-offs, then reached the semi-finals of ITF Bucharest, but lost 6-1 3-6 6-1 to #141 Andrea Petković.

It was at this time that Jelena had to deal with yet more controversy from her father Damir, who threatened to blow up the car of the Australian ambassador in Serbia over articles in the Australian media confirming what I suspected ten years ago: that he physically abused Jelena. The police raided his house, finding guns and bombs, arrested him, and he now faces eight years in prison if the charges stick.

Personally, I'm very glad to see Damir finally getting what he deserves for the way he treated Jelena (albeit for different crimes), but apparently she is "distressed and saddened" about his arrest, which is understandable as, after all, he is still her father.

This week, Jelena lost 6-4 6-3 to #106 Ioana Raluca Olaru in the first round of Warsaw, describing it as "probably my worst match in the last two years."

Jelena opens against Karolina Šprem, but I guess the second round is her limit, as she would likely face #4-ranked Olympic champion Elena Dementieva.

3.1 First-round preview: Dokić v Šprem
--------------------------------------

Jelena starts with 24-year-old Karolina Šprem: a player who, like herself, is making her way back after falling off the face of the Earth in recent years, and has had dealings with the Bikić-brothers (Jelena is coached by Borna while Tino is her boyfriend; for Karolina, I believe it was the other way round).

Karolina scored a sensational 7-6 7-6 victory over Venus Williams in the second round of Wimbledon 2004, going on to reach the quarter-finals with her go-for-broke hitting. She also put up an impressive losing performance against Venus in the third round of the French Open 2006.

Karolina had terrible injury-problems in 2007, missing the French Open with a wrist-injury; in fact she didn't play for ten months after right-elbow surgery in May 2007.

When she did come back, she came back with a bang, beating world #10 Daniela Hantuchová in her comeback-tournament - Amelia Island 2008 - before losing to Lindsay Davenport. But her other 2008 results are nothing to write home about - apart from a Tier III semi-final at Budapest.

When I looked at Karolina's 2009 results, I must admit I was shocked to see that her win/loss record is 25:6! She picked up five qualifying-wins in Australia, then reached the second round of Paris as a qualifier - only to be thrashed 6-1 6-2 by world #1 Serena Williams.

Karolina then won ITF Biberach, beating #96 Kirsten Flipkens 6-1 6-2 in the final. She reached the second round of Miami as a qualifier, then won ITF Tourhout, beating #128 Viktoriya Kutuzova 6-1 6-4 in the final.

More recently, Karolina won three matches to qualify for Stuttgart, losing 6-3 2-6 6-1 to #13 Marion Bartoli in the first round. She then lost 7-5 6-4 to #544 Stefania Chieppa in the first qualifying-round of Rome.

Karolina is now ranked #91 after dropping out of the top 200 in 2007, and finishing 2008 at #175. So her comeback seems to be mirroring Jelena's - albeit without a sensational run to a Major quarter-final this year!

Jelena and Karolina have met only once before: in the second round of Strasbourg 2003, where Karolina beat Jelena 7-5 1-6 6-3 in what was her original breakthrough-tournament: she won seven matches to reach the final as a qualifier!

It's quite a tough one to call, as both girls are on the comeback-trail and have had some encouraging results, and both are coming off exceptionally disappointing losses in their last matches. I'm sitting on the fence...

4. Women's Doubles: First-round draw

* Jelena Dokić [EF]/Alisa Kleybanova v Petra Cetkovská/Carla Suárez Navarro

----------------------------
5. Order of play for Tuesday
----------------------------

Court 6 (start 11:00 CEST = 09:00 GMT = 10:00 BST)
WS 1r: Sania Mirza [DF] v Galina Voskoboeva
MS 1r: TOMMY ROBREDO [16] v Adrian Mannarino [WC]
WS 1r: Jelena Dokić [EF] v Karolina Šprem [DF]
MS 1r: Andrei Pavel v Tommy Haas

Full order of play:
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

andrewbroad
May 28th, 2009, 03:55 AM
=============
Contents
--------

1. Photos
2. First-round scoreboard-report: Dokić v Šprem
3. Second-round draw
4. Second-round preview: Dokić v Dementieva
5. Women's Doubles: First round
6. Order of play for Thursday

My French Open 2009 master-thread:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=379808

---------
1. Photos
---------

Galleries of many players:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/gallery?cap=1&pg=1 (latest 200 only)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8065901.stm
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/photos.html
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/photos/

Where to search for specific players:
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/photos/players.html
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/bios/indexw.html
http://news.yahoo.com/
http://www.fotosports.com/
Getty Images

-----------------------------------------------
2. First-round scoreboard-report: Dokić v Šprem (Tuesday 26th May 2009)
-----------------------------------------------

+ Jelena Dokić [EF] d. Karolina Šprem [DF], 3-6 6-1 6-2

Jelena made a bad start to her first French Open match since 2004, going *0-3 down. She broke back for *3-4, but Karolina reinstated her break immediately, then served out the first set 6-3.

Jelena faced a break-point in the first game of the second set, but after saving it, she took complete control, racing to a 5-0* lead and taking the second set 6-1.

In the third set, Karolina dropped serve from *1-1 (40/0), and another five-game winning-streak put Jelena 5-1* up. Karolina held for 2-5* after being taken to deuce, but couldn't stop Jelena serving out to 15 to reach the second round of the French Open for the first time since 2003.

Jelena had a negative W:UE ratio of 19:28 (including a disastrous 4:13 for the first set), while Karolina was seemingly the less aggressive, as hers was 13:16. Jelena also served 6 aces and 9 double faults.

First set
---------
DOKIĆ ___* *@__ 3
ŠPREM *@* *__@* 6

The match was second on Court 6, and started at 17:27 CEST. I got a little bit sidetracked watching the amazing Klára Zakopalová v Serena Williams match on BBC Red Button, and missed the first two games on the scoreboard.

Karolina serving 2-0: 30/0. 30/15. 40/15. Held.
Jelena serving 0-3: 30/0. 40/30. Held.
Karolina serving 3-1: 40/0. 40/30. Held.
Jelena serving 1-4: 30/0. 30/15. 40/15. Held.
Karolina serving 4-2: 0/40 (BP). Broken.
Jelena serving 3-4: 0/40 (BP #1). 15/40 (BP #2). Broken.
Karolina serving 5-3: 15/0. 15/15. 40/15 (SP #1). 40/30 (SP #2). Karolina won the first set 6-3 at 17:56 (29m).

Second set
----------
DOKIĆ *@*@* * 6
ŠPREM _____*_ 1

Jelena serving 0-0: 15/15. 15/30. 30/30. 30/40 (BP). Deuce. Ad Jelena. Held.
Karolina serving 0-1: 15/0. 15/15. 40/15. 40/30. Deuce. Ad Jelena (BP). Broken.
Jelena serving 2-0: 40/0. Held.
Karolina serving 0-3: 0/40 (BP #1). 15/40 (BP #2). Broken.
Jelena serving 4-0: Held to love.
Karolina serving 0-5: 40/0. Deuce. Ad Karolina. Held.
Jelena serving 5-1: 15/0. 40/15 (SP). Jelena won the second set 6-1 at 18:24 (second set 28m, match so far 57m).

Third set
---------
DOKIĆ _*@*@* * 6
ŠPREM *_____*_ 2

Karolina serving 0-0: 30/0. 30/15. Held.
Jelena serving 0-1: 30/0. Held.
Karolina serving 1-1: 40/0. Deuce. Ad Jelena (BP). Broken.
Jelena serving 2-1: 15/15. 30/30. Deuce. Ad Jelena. Held.
Karolina serving 1-3: 0/15. 30/40 (BP). Broken.

Serena Williams finally beat Klára Zakopalová on her ninth match-point after failing to serve out the match in both the second and third sets, so at last I can give this match my proper attention!

Not much to say, really, as Jelena seems to be in complete control after dropping the first set.

Jelena serving 4-1: 30/0. 30/30. 40/30. Deuce #1. Ad Jelena. Deuce #2. Ad Jelena. Held.
Karolina serving 1-5: 15/0. 15/15. 30/15. 30/30. 40/30. Deuce. Ad Karolina. Held.

A scrappy couple of games, but surely too little too late for Karolina.

Jelena serving 5-2: 40/0 (MP #1). 40/15 (MP #2). Jelena won 3-6 6-1 6-2 at 18:57 (third set 33m, match 1h30m).

Articles
--------

Serena struggles, Đokovic eases through in Paris tennis (AFP)
>>>
There was an emotional return to Roland Garros - after a five-year absence - for Australia's Jelena Dokić.

The 26-year-old, whose career and life were in a tailspin until a magical run to the Australian Open quarter-finals this year, beat Croatia's Karolina Šprem 3-6 6-1 6-2.

It was her first victory at Roland Garros since she reached the second round in 2003. She played and lost the first round in the following year.

"This is only my sixth tournament since the Australian Open, and I feel good. It's a good sign that I was able to turn it around after losing the first set," said world number 80 Dokić.

"It's been five years since I played here, and only my second Grand Slam [sic] in four years. It all feels kind of new."

Dokić - a quarter-finalist in 2002 - will now face Russian fourth seed Elena Dementieva for a place in the last 32.
<<<

Jelena Dokić and Sam Stosur move into second round of French Open in Paris (Fox Sports / AAP)
>>>
Australian duo Samantha Stosur and Jelena Dokić have cruised through to the second round of the French Open on a day with few surprises among the women.

Dokić - a former world No.4 - came from behind to win her first-round match against 24-year-old Croatian Karolina Šprem 3-6 6-1 6-2.

It was Dokić's first appearance at the tournament since 2004, when she was bundled out in the opening round.

The 26-year-old didn't have the best start, misfiring shots during some determined battles with the No.91-ranked Šprem.

But the world No.80 bounced back, breaking Šprem early on in the second set and again in the third, celebrating with a shout of "come on" to the crowd before she wrapped up the match in 90 minutes.

Dokić has been trying to make a comeback after battling depression for several years.

She made the quarter-finals of the Australian Open in January, and sliced nearly 100 places off her ranking to reach No.80 this week.

But her performance has been patchy since Melbourne, having withdrawn from Ponte Vedra Beach and Charlestown in April citing fatigue, and then losing the first round of the Warsaw Open to qualifier Ioana Raluca Olaru.

"It's the second Grand Slam [sic] of the year that I've gotten past the first round, so I have to be happy with that," Dokić told reporters.

"It was not going to be an easy match [against Šprem].

"She's played pretty well this year, and maybe she was even a favourite coming into this match, because I haven't had so many matches in the last few months, and I didn't play so well the last two weeks, three weeks.

"But I was really, really strong mentally today, and I'm happy with the way I came back."

Dokić faces a tough challenge in her second-round match against world No.4 Elena Dementieva from Russia, who beat South African Chanelle Scheepers 6-4 6-3.
<<<

The Ticker (Kamakshi Tandon, TENNIS.com)
http://tennis.com/news/ticker.aspx
>>>
Jelena Dokić defeats Karolina Šprem 3-6 6-1 6-2 to set up a match with Elena Dementieva in the next round. "There's absolutely no pressure in that match, and I can just go out and try and do my best," said Dokić.

She said she had been surprised by the spectator-interest in her first-round match, which featured two fallen prodigies who also have a coaching-link. Dokić's coach Borna Bikić was once the coach and boyfriend of Šprem. Dokić's long-time boyfriend Tin Bikić is Borna's brother. "I actually honestly didn't think that many people would watch, and there's a lot of, you know, other, you know, great players playing," said Dokić.

Dokić refused to comment about recent events involving her estranged father, Damir, saying, "I'm not answering any questions regarding my father, regarding my personal life, at all."

Earlier this month in an interview with _Sport & Style_, Jelena confirmed that her father had beaten her during her early teens, while he was serving as her coach on the Tour. Damir Dokić has been charged with threatening the Australian ambassador in Belgrade while calling to demand an investigation into the interview.
<<<

Dokić thanks Australians for rekindling her passion (Reuters)
By Pritha Sarkar (editing by Sonia Oxley)
>>>
Jelena Dokić, playing at the French Open for the first time since 2004, thanked her adopted country Australia on Tuesday for rekindling her passion for tennis.

Dokić, who was born in former Yugoslavia, marked her return to Roland Garros by downing Croat Karolina Šprem 3-6 6-1 6-2.

After booking a second-round date with Russian fourth seed Elena Dementieva, she said she could not have made it back on to the big stage if it had not been for the support she got during her emotional journey to January's Australian Open quarter-finals.

"Those people in Australia have probably brought my career back on track. I will be grateful to them for the rest of my life," the former world number-four - now ranked 80th - told a news-conference.

"No matter how hard it is on Tour sometimes, every week when you play, I always try to remember that, because that's what brought me back."

Since her unexpected run in Melbourne, her form has dipped, and she has not managed to win back-to-back matches on the main Tour. However, since she has had to overcome greater obstacles, including breaking links with her domineering father Damir, she was not about to get too disheartened.

"Coming into the Grand Slam [sic], I was a little bit shaky, but it's a very good sign that I was able to turn around and still be able to play a fairly good match today," she said.

"I'm number 80 in the world, so I have nothing to defend for the rest of the year. I have pretty high goals.

"Even though I haven't played as well as I wanted to since the Australian Open, I've still had good wins - and I've only played four events. Considering all that, I think I'm on the right track."
<<<

Dad's off limits as Dokić wins on French Open return (AFP)
>>>
Australia's Jelena Dokić continued her professional and personal rehabilitation on Tuesday when she clinched her first win at the French Open for six years, but insisted her controversial father was off limits.

The 26-year-old, whose career and life were in a tailspin until a magical run to the Australian Open quarter-finals this year, battled back from a set down to defeat Croatia's Karolina Šprem 3-6 6-1 6-2.

It was her first victory at Roland Garros since she reached the second round in 2003. She played and lost the first round in the following year.

Tuesday's win was even more remarkable, given the latest turmoil involving her estranged father Damir, who has been charged with threatening the Australian ambassador to Serbia, and illegal possession of firearms.

"I'm not answering any questions regarding my father or regarding my personal life, at all," she said.

"I've answered a lot of questions in Australia. I've answered a lot of questions over the last four or five years. I think everybody knows the story.

"I really don't think there's anything further that I should talk about. There is no reason to bring up those questions again and again."

Dokić - a quarter-finalist in 2002 - will now face Russian fourth seed Elena Dementieva for a place in the last 32.

"No-one can say I'm the favourite," Dokić added. "On paper, she should probably win easily. There's absolutely no pressure in that match, and I can just go out and try and do my best."

Dokić - a former world number-four but now ranked at #80 - won more than three million US dollars in prize-money in the first stage of her career, when she was a teenage prodigy who reached the Wimbledon semi-finals in 2000.

But she lost the money when she split from Damir, whom she blames for her downfall, and was reportedly sleeping on the floor of a Melbourne-apartment as she prepared for this year's Australian Open [sic - it was in 2007 that Jelena was sleeping on the floor of a St. Kilda flat].
<<<

--------------------
3. Second-round draw
--------------------

The players on the left are the ones I want to win.

3.1 Top half: Lucie Šafářová, Maria Sharapova
---------------------------------------------

* DINARA SAFINA [1] won
* ANASTASIA PAVLYUCHENKOVA [27] won
* Aravane Rezaď won
* Michelle Larcher de Brito [Q] won

* VICTORIA AZARENKA [9] won
* CARLA SUÁREZ NAVARRO [22] won
* IVETA BENEŠOVÁ [32] won
* ANA IVANOVIĆ [8,DF] won

* Lucie Šafářová [EF] v VENUS WILLIAMS [3], 7-6 (7/5) *0-0
* ÁGNES SZÁVAY [29] won
* DOMINIKA CIBULKOVÁ [20] won
* Gisela Dulko [DF] won

* Maria Sharapova [EF] won
* Yaroslava Shvedova [Q] won
* LI,NA [25] won
* Olga Govortsova won

3.2 Bottom half: Jelena Dokić
-----------------------------

* Magdaléna Rybáriková [DF] v JELENA JANKOVIĆ [5] (poďme Magda!)
* Jarmila Groth v Mariana Duque Marino [LL]
* ALIZÉ CORNET [21] v Sorana Cîrstea (allez Alizé!)
* CAROLINE WOZNIACKI [10] v Jill Craybas (kom sĺ Caroline!)

* MARION BARTOLI [13,DF,S] v Tathiana Garbin (allez Marion!)
* ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES [18] v Virginie Razzano
* Yanina Wickmayer v SAMANTHA STOSUR [30] (komaan Yanina!)
* Jelena Dokić [EF] v ELENA DEMENTIEVA [4] (go Jelena!)

* SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA [7] v Galina Voskoboeva
* SYBILLE BAMMER [28] v Melinda Czink
* Kateryna Bondarenko v Olivia Rogowska [WC]
* AGNIESZKA RADWAŃSKA [12] v Mariya Koryttseva

* Alexa Glatch v Lourdes Domínguez Lino
* Petra Martić [Q] v ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK [24]
* Viktoriya Kutuzova v María José Martínez Sánchez (davai Viktoriya!)
* Virginia Ruano Pascual v SERENA WILLIAMS [2] (Ąvamos Virginia!)

-------------------------------------------
4. Second-round preview: Dokić v Dementieva
-------------------------------------------

I must admit it was a pleasant surprise for me to recall that Jelena leads Elena Dementieva 5:3 head to head!

Dementieva won their first two meetings, beating 17-year-old Jelena 6-4 6-3 at New Haven 2000, and 2-6 6-4 6-4 in the semi-finals of the Sydney Olympics.

But Jelena won their next five meetings, starting with a 4-6 7-5 6-4 revenge at New Haven 2001. Jelena then beat Dementieva 6-3 6-3 in the final of Moscow 2001 - the third of the five WTA singles-titles that Jelena has won so far (a tally that, sadly, has not increased since Birmingham 2002).

Jelena also beat Dementieva in two quarter-finals in 2002: Paris 5-7 6-1 6-2, and Amelia Island 0-6 7-6 (7/3) 6-1. Her last victory over Dementieva came at Charleston 2003: 4-6 6-4 7-5. Dementieva won their last meeting 5-7 6-1 6-3 at Miami 2004.

Dementieva is a year and a half older than 26-year-old Jelena, but she has done much better since their last meeting, finishing every year in 2003-2008 in the top eleven, and rising to her current #4 in 2008 (she was briefly #3 about a month ago). She has never won a Major, but she has won the next-best thing: an Olympic Gold Medal (Beijing 2008).

Dementieva has an impressive 32:8 win/loss record for 2009 so far. While Jelena's season-highlight is reaching an Australian Open quarter-final, Dementieva went one better and reached the semis (albeit without beating anyone ranked higher than #19), falling 6-3 6-4 to world #2 and eventual champion Serena Williams.

Indeed, Dementieva went into the Australian Open with two titles from 2009 already under her belt: she won Auckland without dropping a set, beating #76 Elena Vesnina 6-4 6-1 in the final, then won Sydney, beating #10 Agnieszka Radwańska 6-2 5-7 6-4 in the quarters, Serena Williams 6-3 6-1(!) in the semis, and #3 Dinara Safina 6-3 2-6 6-1 in the final.

Dementieva reached the final of WTA Paris on a walkover from Serena Williams, and lost 7-6 2-6 6-4 to #24 Amélie Mauresmo. She then lost 6-3 6-3 to #6 Venus Williams in the quarter-finals of Dubai.

Dementieva suffered her only opening-round loss of the year at Indian Wells, losing 7-6 2-6 6-1 to #71-ranked qualifier Petra Cetkovská. She fell in the fourth round of Miami to #12 Caroline Wozniacki.

Dementieva lost to Wozniacki again in the semis of Charleston: 6-4 5-7 7-5. She beat #13 Marion Bartoli 6-2 4-6 6-3 to reach the semi-finals of Rome, but lost 6-4 6-2 to Svetlana Kuznetsova. She lost to Mauresmo again in the third round of Madrid: 1-6 6-4 6-2.

Dementieva won her first round here by beating qualifier Chanelle Scheepers 6-4 6-3, albeit in an error-strewn performance by both players (Dementieva had a W:UE ratio of 17:30 to Scheepers's 7:22).

The bottom line is that this is a very tough draw for Jelena, but her destiny is in her own hands. We all know what to expect from Dementieva: she doesn't have a great serve (to put it mildly, though it has improved a lot), but she has very solid groundstrokes, and will be prepared to grind all day.

The unknown factor is whether Jelena can find the magic that thrashed Martina Hingis 6-2 6-0 in the first round of Wimbledon 1999, and was last seen (at that level of brilliance) in the last two sets of her win over Wozniacki at this year's Australian Open (3-6 6-1 6-2): that mode where Jelena hits the ball so sweetly with flairsome power and winners at will.

-------------------------------
5. Women's Doubles: First round
-------------------------------
5.1 First-round result (Wednesday 27th May 2009)
----------------------

+ Jelena Dokić [EF]/Alisa Kleybanova d. Petra Cetkovská/Carla Suárez Navarro, 6-3 6-2

5.2 Second-round draw
---------------------

* Jelena Dokić [EF]/Alisa Kleybanova v (CARA BLACK/LIEZEL HUBER)[1]

6. Order of play for Thursday

Court 1 (start 11:00 CEST = 09:00 GMT = 10:00 BST)
MS 2r: Jérémy Chardy v Simone Bolelli
MS 2r: NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO [10] v Diego Junqueira, 4-6 6-3 6-0 *2-2 to finish
WS 2r: ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES [18] v Virginie Razzano
MS 2r: PAUL-HENRI MATHIEU [32] v Pablo Andújar
WS 2r: Jelena Dokić [EF] v ELENA DEMENTIEVA [4]

Full order of play:
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

Golovinjured.
May 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Dokic Pierce
May 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I don't understand the purpose of these posts? Please enlighten me.

andrewbroad
Jun 18th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I don't understand the purpose of these posts? Please enlighten me.

The purpose of my posts is to report on all of Jelena's singles-matches at the French Open, as per my vows of Eternal Fanship.

andrewbroad
Jun 18th, 2009, 01:39 AM
=============
Contents
--------

1. Photos
2. Second-round scoreboard-report: Dokić v Dementieva
3. Women's Doubles: Second-round result

---------
1. Photos
---------

Jelena Dokić [EF]:
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/overview/wta040344.html
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=dokic

Thursday's (28th May) players including Jelena:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8071990.stm

-----------------------------------------------------
2. Second-round scoreboard-report: Dokić v Dementieva (Thursday 28th May 2009)
-----------------------------------------------------

- Jelena Dokić [EF] lt. ELENA DEMENTIEVA [4], 6-2 *3-4 retired (low-back injury)

Poor, sore Jelena. She dominated the first set like she was back to her best, and led the world #4 by a set and a break (6-2 *2-1).

But her back went at 2-2* (15/0*). After a nine-minute delay - during which she took an off-court medical time-out - she tried to continue in tears and pain, and even reinstated her break for *3-2! But she won only two points in the next two games, and retired at *3-4.

The pain must have been absolutely unbearable for her to retire at 20:40 CEST - about 20 minutes before they tend to suspend matches for bad light at the end of a set. Could she really not have just hit some underarm serves, stood still to receive serve, come off for the night at a set all, and got hours of treatment before the match resumed on Friday?

I sincerely hope this injury won't put pain to Jelena's plans to play Birmingham and Wimbledon!

First set
---------
DOKIĆ @* *@* * 6
DEMEN __*___*_ 2

The match was fifth on Court 1, and started at 19:25 CEST. I followed live scores at www.rolandgarros.com while BBC Red Button showed Monfils v Crivoi.

Dementieva serving 0-0: 0/40 (BP). Broken.
Jelena serving 1-0: 30/0. 30/15. 40/15. Held.

What a start! Of course Dementieva made a 0-3* start to her first match and still managed to win in straight sets, but with all due respect to Chanelle Scheepers, she's playing a different class of opponent today.

Dementieva serving 0-2: 15/0. 15/30. 40/30. Held.
Jelena serving 2-1: 0/30. 40/30. Deuce #1. Ad Jelena. Deuce #2. Ad Dementieva (BP #1). Deuce #3. Ad Jelena. Deuce #4. Ad Dementieva (BP #2). Deuce #5. Ad Dementieva (BP #3). Deuce #6. Ad Jelena. Held.

Well recovered from 0/30 and then three break-points - what a game!

Dementieva serving 1-3: 0/40 (BP #1). 30/40 (BP #3). Broken.

Now Monfils v Crivoi has finished, but BBC Red Button has ended its live transmission rather than show this match! :fiery:

Jelena serving 4-1: 0/30. 40/30. Held.
Dementieva serving 1-5: 30/0. 30/40 (SP #1). Deuce. Ad Dementieva. Held.

Now the moment of truth for Jelena: can she serve it out?

Jelena serving 5-2: 0/15. 15/30. 30/30. 30/40 (BP). Deuce. Ad Jelena (SP #2). Jelena won the first set 6-2 at 19:59 CEST (34m).

Well, one thing's for sure: Jelena's not going to lose today, because there wouldn't be enough light for a third set. [Boy did I jinx her by writing that!]

Second set
----------
DOKIĆ _*@ @__ 3 retired
DEMEN *__@ @* 4

Dementieva serving 0-0: 0/15. 15/15. 15/30. 30/30. 40/30. Deuce. Ad Dementieva. Held.
Jelena serving 0-1: 15/15. 15/30. 30/30. 40/30. Held.
Dementieva serving 1-1: 0/30. 15/30. 15/40 (BP). Broken.

A set and a break up! :D

Jelena serving 2-1: 0/40 (BP #1). 30/40 (BP #3). Broken.

Not any more. :(

Dementieva serving 2-2: 0/15. Long delay from 20:22 CEST... so I went to the live-scores thread on tennisforum.com, and found that Jelena has collapsed with back-pain! :sad:

Chiakifug: "Jelena cant bend forward and struggled to sit down. She looks in tears... She went for a serve then pulled up. Didnt look serious at the time but obviously is."
<http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=15747301>

Play continued at 20:31 CEST. 15/15. 15/30. 30/30. 30/40 (BP). Broken!

Wow - a miracle for Jelena! But she's still crying.

Jelena serving 3-2: 0/30. 15/30. 15/40 (BP). Broken.
Dementieva serving 3-3: 40/0. 40/15. Held.

I guess Jelena can only try to hang on until it gets suspended for darkness, and hopefully come back better tomorrow... but no: Dementieva won 2-6 4-3* retired at 20:40 CEST (second set 41m, match 1h15m).

Statistics
----------

Jelena got 61% of her first serves in, winning 61% of the points when she did so, and 48% on second serve. Her winning-percentages dipped from (65%, 57%) for the first set to (50%, 29%) for the second.

Dementieva got 67% of her first serves in, winning 50% of the points when she did so, and 44% on second serve. From the first set to the second, she traded her first-serve percentages (from 71% in, 53% won to 63%, 47% won) for a higher second-serve winning-percentage (29% to 56%).

Jelena served one ace and 2 double faults, Dementieva 2 aces and 6 double faults.

They each had a fastest serve of 110mph. Jelena's average serves were faster than Dementieva's (first serve 103-100mph, second serve 96-88mph).

Jelena had a W:UE ratio of 13:20 to Dementieva's 15:20.

Jelena broke 4 times (twice in each set) from 9 BPs, Dementieva just twice (only in the second set) from 8 BPs.

In a baseline-oriented match, Jelena won 1 of 3 points at the net, Dementieva 3 of 3.

In points, Jelena won 55-47 (first set 36-25, second set 19-22).

Articles
--------

Injury halts Dokić [Teletext 495->497]
>>>
Agony for Dokić [Teletext 497]

Jelena Dokić was denied the chance of a major upset against Elena Dementieva in the French Open when injury forced her to retire when leading in round two.

The Australian was back to her best as she took the first set 6-2, but then hurt her back at 2-2 in the second set.

A tearful Dokić received treatment and tried to carry on, but she was forced to pull out three games later, putting Dementieva through to the third round.
<<<

Dementieva advances after Dokić retires (AP)
>>>
Elena Dementieva advanced to the third round of the French Open when Jelena Dokić retired with a back-injury while leading 6-2 3-4 on Thursday.

Dokić turned for a backhand during the fifth game of the second set, grimaced in pain, and called time. She then reached toward the lower part of her back, and gingerly walked toward her chair to call for a trainer.

She returned to the court and broke Dementieva to take a 3-2 lead, but then cried into her towel during the changeover. After losing the next two games, Dokić stopped.

The fourth-seeded Dementieva has reached at least the semi-finals at every Major event. She lost in the finals of the 2004 French Open and US Open.
<<<

Sobbing Dokić retires hurt while leading Dementieva (Reuters)
By Pritha Sarkar (editing by Sonia Oxley)
>>>
Jelena Dokić left Roland Garros in floods of tears after retiring hurt with a back-injury. The Australian had fourth seed Elena Dementieva on the run for over an hour, but was left sobbing when she had to quit while leading 6-2 3-4.

"It will be hard to swallow this... very disappointing, considering that I was up and I was playing well," said Dokić.

Dementieva added: "I really didn't deserve to win this match, because of the way I was playing."
<<<

Tearful Dokić retires, Dementieva advances (Reuters)
By Sonia Oxley (editing by Pritha Sarkar)
>>>
* Sobbing Dokić retires with back-injury while leading.
* Dementieva says she did not deserve to go through.

Jelena Dokić left the court in floods of tears on Thursday after retiring with a back-injury while leading by a set in her French Open second round match against Russian fourth seed Elena Dementieva.

"It's a shock and a disappointment," the Australian former world number-four told a news-conference after quitting with the score at 6-2 3-4 against.

"I felt like I had the match in my hands and I was doing well, and even if I didn't win, I was playing really well... I felt like I probably played the best tennis that I played this year."

Dokić - appearing at her first French Open since 2004 - appeared to pull something in her lower back at 2-2 in the second set, and went off court to receive treatment from the tournament-trainer.

She returned to break Dementieva despite crying between points.

"I just went down and couldn't come back up. I don't know what it is yet. It was very painful, and I just hope it's not too serious," said Dokić, who sobbed uncontrollably into her towel after retiring while Dementieva came over to comfort her.

Dokić, who rolled her ankle in her last-16 match at the Australian Open, said she was not having much luck at the Majors on her comeback-trail after a troubled few years.

"Obviously, it's not my time at the Grand Slams," said Dokić. "I'm not 15 anymore, so it's time probably to take more care now, and I just really, really hope it's nothing serious.

"I was supposed to play doubles tomorrow. I don't think that will happen."

Dementieva was full of sympathy for her opponent.

"It feels bad to win this way, and it must be hard on her. She was very solid. It's bad luck for her," the Russian - who next faces Dokić's compatriot Samantha Stosur - told reporters.

"I didn't deserve to win this match."
<<<

Tennis-aces Federer, Venus win; French hail fab five (AFP)
>>>
There was a tearful and painful exit for troubled Australian Jelena Dokić, who is steadily trying to rebuild her career.

The 26-year-old, playing here for the first time in five years, was heading for victory over Russian fourth seed Elena Dementieva when she was forced to retire with a crippling lower-back injury when she was 6-2 3-4 ahead.

Dokić slumped in her chair and burst into tears while Dementieva attempted to console her.

"I went for a return, and I just went down and couldn't get back up," said Dokić.

"It's very painful and very disappointing, because I felt as if I had the match in my hands."
<<<

Venus digs deep to make progress (BBC Sport)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8071828.stm
>>>
And there was heartbreak for Australia's Jelena Dokić, who looked on course for a major upset when she led fourth seed Elena Dementieva by a set and a break.

The former world number four - currently ranked 80th - suffered a back-injury, and left the court in floods of tears for treatment at 2-2 in the second set.

She returned some time later and, incredibly, broke serve immediately, despite hobbling between points and remaining visibly emotional.

But it was the briefest of recoveries, and Dokić was forced to retire at 6-2 3-4, Dementieva consoling her opponent as she left the court in tears for the second time in 10 minutes.

"I went for a return, and I just went down and couldn't get back up," said Dokić, who will undergo a scan in Paris on Friday to judge the exact nature of the problem.

"It's very painful. I hope it's not too serious. It's very disappointing, because I felt as if I had the match in my hands."
<<<

Despondent Dokić hoping for the best (ABC News, Friday 29th May 2009)
>>>
A tearful Jelena Dokić is hoping the latest painful twist in her life-story of turmoil will not mean another prolonged absence from tennis.

The 26-year-old Australian was poised for a famous French Open victory over Russian fourth seed Elena Dementieva - before she was forced to concede the second-round tie due to crippling back-pain that left her barely able to walk.

Dokić -playing her first Roland Garros in five years after her well-documented personal and professional strife - raced through the first set 6-2 against the 2004 runner-up, and was 2-2 in the second when disaster struck.

Running down a Dementieva service, she pulled up, ramrod straight, holding her lower back and wincing in pain.

As she wept courtside, she was allowed a medical timeout, and when she returned to Court One, she even managed to break to lead 3-2.

But by this stage, she was reduced to walking-pace on the baseline and, after losing the next two games, she shook hands with the Russian.

"It was very painful, and I just hope it's not too serious," said the heartbroken former world number-four.

"I felt like I had the match in my hands. I felt like I probably played the best tennis that I've played this year. It's very disappointing.

"I just hope it will be okay, and it won't take too much time for it to get better."

Dokić won sympathetic applause from the Court One crowd, while even Dementieva attempted to console her stricken opponent.

"Nothing like that has ever happened to me except when I rolled my ankle at the Australian Open, so obviously it's not my time at the Grand Slams," Dokić said.

"But it happens. I'm not 15 anymore, so it's time to take more care now, and I just really, really hope it's nothing serious."

Dokić was taking part in her first French Open since 2004, having made an emotional run to the Australian Open quarter-finals earlier this year, when she was ranked #187, and with her career and life seemingly in a tailspin.

She won her opening-round match, coming back from a set down to defeat Croatia's Karolina Šprem 3-6 6-1 6-2.

Ironically, had she won overnight, she would have faced compatriot Samantha Stosur for a place in the last 16.

The 30th-seeded Stosur beat Belgium's Yanina Wickmayer 6-3 4-6 6-4, while Jarmila Groth saw off Mariana Duque of Colombia 6-2 7-6 (11/9).

However, Australian teenager Olivia Rogowska was knocked out by Ukraine's Kateryna Bondarenko 4-6 7-5 7-5.
<<<

Dokić cleared of serious injury (The Sydney Morning Herald)
(Belinda Tasker and Ivo Šćepanović, Sunday 31st May 2009)
>>>
Tennis comeback-queen Jelena Dokić is expected to bounce back from the excruciating back-injury that cruelly forced her out of the French Open.

The Australian saw doctors in Paris on Friday after injuring her lower back the previous day, when she led by a set and was dominating her second-round match against Russian world No.4 Elena Dementieva at Roland Garros.

Dokić, 26, underwent treatment on her back and an MRI-scan to determine whether the injury could spell the end of the former world No.4's comeback-dreams.

But her management said the doctors believed Dokić would suffer no permanent damage.

"It's a day-by-day process at the moment," the spokesman said. "But we don't believe it will be anything long-term."

In Serbia, her estranged father Damir Dokić went on trial after he allegedly threatened to kill the Australian ambassador to Belgrade.

If found guilty of endangering Ambassador Clare Birgin's security and owning illegal weapons, Mr. Dokić could serve up to eight years in jail.

The brief hearing was held behind closed doors in the northern Serbian town of Ruma, the judge explaining he wanted to protect the ambassador's privacy and maintain good relations with Australia. However, Mr. Dokić objected, saying he wanted "everything to be known".

The judge heard from a number of witnesses before adjourning the trial until 11th June.

Mr. Dokić has been ordered to remain in custody, despite pleas from his lawyer that the 50-year-old - who has diabetes - be granted bail.

He was arrested on 6th May at his home in Vrdnik - about 60 kilometres north of Belgrade - after allegedly telephoning the Australian embassy in the Serbian capital and threatening to blow up Birgin's car with a grenade-launcher.

Police also allegedly found a cache of illegal weapons - including two home-made bombs - at his home.

He has said the threats were a joke because he was angry over an interview his daughter gave Sport&Style, which claimed he had physically abused his daughter.

Jelena has refused to discuss the controversy surrounding her father.

Making her first appearance at Roland Garros since 2004 - she reached the quarter-finals in her Major comeback at the Australian Open in January - Dokić was devastated to have to pull out of the tournament.

She had been poised to win an upset against Dementieva and cruise into the third round to face compatriot Samantha Stosur.
<<<

---------------------------------------
3. Women's Doubles: Second-round result (Friday 29th May 2009)
---------------------------------------

- Jelena Dokić [EF]/Alisa Kleybanova lt. (CARA BLACK/LIEZEL HUBER)[1], walkover (Jelena's lower-back injury)

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

Golovinjured.
Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
But why do you waste all this time doing it, no one reads it AT ALL! We all watched the matches...

andrewbroad
Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:24 AM
But why do you waste all this time doing it, no one reads it AT ALL!

235 page-views suggest otherwise. :rolleyes:

Golovinjured.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:26 AM
:weirdo: