PDA

View Full Version : Do you think is beating someone 6-0,6-0 too ruthless?

Lin Lin
May 26th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I noticed Chinese #1 table tennis player Zhang Yining deliberately made a serve error to avoide giving a lowly ranked player a 11-0 game in the world championship weeks ago.This caused hot debate at that time.

So,when we back to tennis,if a player is leading 6-0,5-0,he/she has a 99% chance to win the match I think.Is it a good thing to humiliate others with two eggs?what would you do if you were a professional player?:)

Mattographer
May 26th, 2009, 03:11 AM
No. This is a professional circuit not family or friends sport events :)

barboza
May 26th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Frankly, this question is stupid.

Kenny
May 26th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I would play to the best of my ability. If I was tired, maybe I might let up on the gas pedal a bit, but then you're dealing with a slippery slope there, in my opinion. You never know what will give the other player motivation.

So no, if I was winning 6-0, 5-0.. I'd do my best to make it 6-0, 6-0. :)

Bijoux0021
May 26th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Nope.

Ziggy Starduck
May 26th, 2009, 03:17 AM
You can't afford for someone even to get a look in, so allowing a player 1 game could prove fatal!

WowWow
May 26th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Hmmm..don't know...if my opponent is a player that I'm close to , perhaps I'd lose one game on purpose by the end of the second set.
But I'm not quite sure though:lol:

swissmr
May 26th, 2009, 03:38 AM
No, this is professional sport, theres no such thing as too ruthless.
And is double egged even a phrase?? :lol:

Wiggly
May 26th, 2009, 03:39 AM
No, the player might start to play out of her mind or you might get an injury on the next game.

fightserena!!!
May 26th, 2009, 03:41 AM
you would be very, very pissed off if you were up 6-0, 5-0 and decided to tank one game and then in the next game, up 40-0 you tripped over your shoelace, fell to the court but got your hand caught in your racquet, landed on your right elbow and broke it on the hard clay at pace and had to go to hospital and default the match. Bad idea.

No Name Face
May 26th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I'd double bagel anyone, if I can. I have no sympathy for anyone when in competition, unless it's a health related issue.

Lin Lin
May 26th, 2009, 03:42 AM
No, this is professional sport, theres no such thing as too ruthless.

The egg thing is like this:when a player losing 0-6,we will say she "swallows an egg" in China:lol::lol:

Huntress55
May 26th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Haha no, if you can pull it off you should go for it. Its a competitive sport afterall, you shouldnt care about your opponent and their feelings, well at least not on the court, save that till after :p

WowWow
May 26th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Seems to be now :lol:
I like it better than a double bagel phrase, though:)

Lin Lin
May 26th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Some double-eggs that I would never forget:
Davenport6-0,6-0Sharapova,2005:(
Justine6-0,6-0Bartoli,2007:worship:

InsideOut.
May 26th, 2009, 03:53 AM
No way. Double bagels rock. :drool:

Tennisstar86
May 26th, 2009, 04:06 AM
no, I've been blown out in the first set, and all it took was to get on the board for me to calm down and make the match close.... so, When i have then chance to be up I go for the kill.....

not to mention its fun to hold over someone you double bagelled them..... it is competition after all

skanky~skanketta
May 26th, 2009, 04:06 AM
End it while you can. I've been in the situation where I was 6-0 4-0 up and felt bad for my opponent and let her win a game. That was all she needed. Next thing I knew, I was being bullied about and ended up losing 0-6 6-4 6-2.

I've also been on the receiving end and when I lost, 6-0 6-0 :o I was like WTF Why didn't you let me win a game. My opponent said "That would be disrespectful to you and disrespectful of me". Which is true.

Pheobo
May 26th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I would be a little offended if somebody threw me a game in that position. Also, I tend to play better when I'm down in a match (I'm proud of my come-from-behind wins :p ) so I wouldn't take the chance.

kris719
May 26th, 2009, 05:09 AM
hell no, don't give anyone anything. if they can't earn it, don't give it to them. plus there's always the chance you give them a game, you start missing some shots, get unlucky and they're right back in it.

AnomyBC
May 26th, 2009, 05:13 AM
No way. If anything, today's female tennis players need to get a lot MORE ruthless. Too many of them treat these matches like it's a day at the picnic and that's why they lose. These girls need to make it their goal to not only win, but to completely destroy and humiliate their opponents. That's what you have to do if you want to become one of the all-time greats.

darrinbaker00
May 26th, 2009, 06:48 AM
End it while you can. I've been in the situation where I was 6-0 4-0 up and felt bad for my opponent and let her win a game. That was all she needed. Next thing I knew, I was being bullied about and ended up losing 0-6 6-4 6-2.

I've also been on the receiving end and when I lost, 6-0 6-0 :o I was like WTF Why didn't you let me win a game. My opponent said "That would be disrespectful to you and disrespectful of me". Which is true.
I've been on both sides of double-bagels, and I've also been on both sides of 5-0 comebacks in the third set. If you have the chance to close out the double-bagel, do it. ALWAYS.

southern star
May 26th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Can't believe this question is even being asked.

If a player doesn't like a box of bagels, she should either
a) improve
b) toughen up
or c) go play at a $10k ITF event at Bufu Idaho.

Oswald56
May 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM
The only way you succeed in tennis is by having a killer streak ten miles wide.

TennisViewer531
May 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM
even if it is 6-0, 5-0, the game is not yet over - so if you let someone get at least one game, it would be a costly mistake if that person catches up and gives you a bagel in return... 6-0, 6-7, 0-6 you lost! :(

Matt01
May 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
No. This is a professional circuit not family or friends sport events :)

Exactly.

Some double-eggs that I would never forget:
Davenport6-0,6-0Sharapova,2005:(
Justine6-0,6-0Bartoli,2007:worship:

:hearts:

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 26th, 2009, 09:34 AM
You played like God. Your opponent played like shit.

So, 6-0 6-0 is not ruthless. It's deserving.

crazillo
May 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
It's a professional circuit so it is not ruthless. Anything can happen on a court so you should never give your opponent an opportunity to come back, even if it is a small one.

ElusiveChanteuse
May 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Ju, Lindsay :worship: That's how you win multiple slams and #1 and also Olympic gold medal.:hearts:

Edinboro
May 26th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Only if its 6-0 5-0 0-40 on their serve id let them have it and save my energy for my own service game. Other than that this is a really stupid question.

drake3781
May 26th, 2009, 10:26 AM
hell no, don't give anyone anything. if they can't earn it, don't give it to them. plus there's always the chance you give them a game, you start missing some shots, get unlucky and they're right back in it.

Unlucky shots.

Patrick345
May 26th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I noticed Chinese #1 table tennis player Zhang Yining deliberately made a serve error to avoide giving a lowly ranked player a 11-0 game in the world championship weeks ago.This caused hot debate at that time.

So,when we back to tennis,if a player is leading 6-0,5-0,he/she has a 99% chance to win the match I think.Is it a good thing to humiliate others with two eggs?what would you do if you were a professional player?:)

No.Yesterday Pin and Tanasaguarn dropped their serves like 12 out of 15 games in the 3rd set. Players like this have a high resistance to the reality that they suck at pro tennis and should do something else, so every 6-0 6-0 can only help. ;)

Shvedbarilescu
May 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM

That is the best answer for me. What would be worse that losing 6-0 6-0? Losing 6-0 6-1 and sensing that the one game you won was only because your opponent felt sorry for you. That would really suck. No decent self-respecting player wants to be treated with pity and given games out of charity.

miffedmax
May 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Yep. It's really very cocky and rude to say "I'm so much better than you the only way you can beat me is if I give you a free game." My assumption is that if I'm beating somebody that badly (which is rare) that they're either having an awful day or they are playing at too high a level and need to drop down for a while.

I have had the experience of being beaten in rematches by someone I bageled, and rather badly (though I did win a few games).

irma
May 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM
In tennis you can hit the most beautiful points, but when you don't do it a game point you might lose 6:0.
In table tennis 11:0 (or once 21:0) is 11:0. It meant that you were clearly inferior on every level of the set.
I don't think you should give away points for free, but one point in table tennis is easier to understand then doing the same with a whole game in tennis which of course means missing 4 shots in a row.

Привет
May 26th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Stealing candy from a baby is ruthless. Winning a tennis match, regardless of the scoreline you win by, is not ruthless.

Volcana
May 26th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Long ago, playing to make my high school tenis team, we played eight game 'pro sets'. First to eigh games winning by two games takes the match, but 6-0 also took the match. Up 5-0 on my opponent, I took it easy for one game so I didn't beating her 6-0. She won eight games in a row. I didn't make the team that year.

Never again. It's sports. in sports, especially pro sports, you don't give your opponents games. You don't take it easy on them. Put them out of their misery, and if they play hard to the end, congratulate them on fighting hard.

Navratil
May 27th, 2009, 08:08 AM
No way!! As a sportsman/sportswoman you got to give your best - always!
I always want to win every single point and I'm willing to fight for everything. So I always want to win as high as possible. I might feel sorry about that later but not on court!

I don't like players that just play as good as they have to.

MistyGrey
May 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Nope... No need to take risks.
However, I dont think the question is stupid.. I remember Lindsay once said, that she did not want to double bagel her opponent ( I think it was Leon Garcia at the USO) and even thought of tanking a game (her opponent eventually started playing better and won a few games on her own).. Also Mary felt bad about double bagelling Nagyova at the AO 98... but she said, she also wanted to be have two double bagels in one tournament so finished the task right there...

markhingis
May 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I played some amateur matches with lesser players, won them 6-0, 6-0 several times. I also lost one match (my second one, but the player was way better) being double bagelled.
Let's think, I was leading 6-0, 5-0 then allowing an opponent making mistakes I hadn't done during the match, he would think I was not taking him seriously.
On tennis court there's no place for symphaty, outside it there should be!

Lulu.
May 27th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Not really.

Lin Lin
May 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Nope... No need to take risks.
However, I dont think the question is stupid.. I remember Lindsay once said, that she did not want to double bagel her opponent ( I think it was Leon Garcia at the USO) and even thought of tanking a game (her opponent eventually started playing better and won a few games on her own).. Also Mary felt bad about double bagelling Nagyova at the AO 98... but she said, she also wanted to be have two double bagels in one tournament so finished the task right there...

Lindsay:worship:

Joe.
May 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
when i beat a kid 6-0 6-0 i felt so bad becaue this kid went over to his mum and started crying :tape:

KanSuke
May 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Marry me LinLin!

darrinbaker00
May 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Five years ago at Roland Garros, Lisa Raymond was down 0-6, 0-5, 30-0 to Lubomira Kurhajcova (remember her?) in the first round. Raymond wound up winning that match 0-6, 7-5, 6-3. Until the chair umpire says "Game, set, match," it ain't never over.

exoneuk
May 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I don't think it's ruthless. It's efficient and shows how good you are. I'm competitive enough personally to want to win 6-0 6-0 if I can. If it's 6-0 6-1, what did I do wrong to lose that game?

Not ruthless at all. It's just sport. That's how it goes.

Williamsser
Jun 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
No.

The Dawntreader
Jun 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Ludicrous suggestion.

It is not a players job to mother an opponent.

Ciarán
Jun 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
No.

John.
Jun 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
No

Albireo
Jun 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Can't believe this question is even being asked.

If a player doesn't like a box of bagels, she should either
a) improve
b) toughen up
or c) go play at a $10k ITF event at Bufu Idaho.

Bufu, Idaho is nice this time of year--horseflies mating, crabgrass in bloom....

Agassi once gifted a player a game when he was leading 6-0, 5-0; he caught a ball the guy served to him. His opponent was offended, and said "it's like he's saying 'you're not good enough to get a game on your own, so I'll give you one out of the kindness of my heart.'"

Funny how people look at things.

vadin124
Jun 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Bufu, Idaho is nice this time of year--horseflies mating, crabgrass in bloom....

Agassi once gifted a player a game when he was leading 6-0, 5-0; he caught a ball the guy served to him. His opponent was offended, and said "it's like he's saying 'you're not good enough to get a game on your own, so I'll give you one out of the kindness of my heart.'"

Funny how people look at things.

if i was him then the next game i would have caught all the balls Agassi served...or gone to the other side and smacked him with my racquet

or, unless Agassi did this on game point, i would have made for damn sure i lost that game by serving every ball into the net

Rocketta
Jun 24th, 2009, 07:15 PM
no I don't think it's too ruthless at all... you are there to play not give away games.... but what I do think is a little weird is to then go on TV (ESPN) and complain about the crowd rooting for your opponent that you just beat 6-0, 6-0. :weirdo:

KournikovaFan91
Jun 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
if i was him then the next game i would have caught all the balls Agassi served...or gone to the other side and smacked him with my racquet

or, unless Agassi did this on game point, i would have made for damn sure i lost that game by serving every ball into the net
You would have lost anyway and looked pathetic in that case.

cn ireland
Jun 24th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Absolutely not, it would be disrespectful not to try and play your best and if that results in a double bagel, tough!!

wtatennisballer
Jun 25th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Only if it were 6-0, 5-0 in a grand slam finals. Dropping a game would be the classy thing to do.

Rafito.
Jun 25th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Azarenka thought not.

Sharapower
Jun 25th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Even if your opponent can't come back (and how to be sure of that?), 1 more game is more time and energy spent on court. If you can close 6-0 6-0, just do it.

TennisMindCamp
Jun 25th, 2009, 04:17 AM
That's just competitive grit in my opinion