PDA

View Full Version : Are people more happy with Dinara as Number 1 now?

vadin124
May 26th, 2009, 12:07 AM
after having just won TWO mandatory premier events, are people finally accepting of the fact Dinara is number 1...

her performance against Anne today was absolutely stunning...she played like a true Number 1 player...

i was one of those who was praying she did not get the top spot before Indian Wells, however having seen her the last few weeks i am now perfectly happy to have her as our Number 1. She has been playing fantasically, and a win at RG would be the icing on the cake

come on Dinara, you can do it!

swissmr
May 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Better her than Jankovic :p

Soliloque
May 26th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I was not a huge fan of her a year ago but I want her to win the FO now so, yes I'm happy with her as number one.

supergrunt
May 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM
well I guess in the end it'll be good for Serena so yes

SIN DIOS NI LEY
May 26th, 2009, 12:19 AM
No

If she could beat the top players on hard- grass - carpet - indoor, yes (I doubt it)

danieln1
May 26th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I also changed my opinion and think that she deserves to be number 1 after that 2 victories... but the majority of people will only respect her with a slam under her belt!

Dave.
May 26th, 2009, 12:22 AM
No Slam = Not the real no.1!! :weirdo:

Expat
May 26th, 2009, 12:23 AM
If she wins FO.

Leo_DFP
May 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
She is a #1 on clay. Her form has improved once the clay season has begun, but before that she was unproven.

Her ranking will only be solidified once she has a Slam.

Also, to the OP: slight correction. One of her tournament wins was a Premier Mandatory, and the other was just a Premier.

Dave.
May 26th, 2009, 12:30 AM
^^ Rome was Premier5 ;)

delicatecutter
May 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM
She totes deserves it!! Dina! :inlove: :rocker2:

pav
May 26th, 2009, 12:53 AM
As I get sick of explaining to the great horde of unwashed,opinion doesn't enter into it, she is number one and like any other bugger who has ever been number one deserves it (even Willy's and Momo)

Dawson.
May 26th, 2009, 12:58 AM
It's becoming increasingly hard to argue against her being #1. The only thing I have left is that she hasn't won a slam yet, but if todays performance is anything to go by, that'll change pretty soon. Then I'll have nothing... which sickens me

HRHoliviasmith
May 26th, 2009, 01:03 AM
It's becoming increasingly hard to argue against her being #1. The only thing I have left is that she hasn't won a slam yet, but if todays performance is anything to go by, that'll change pretty soon. Then I'll have nothing... which sickens me

:haha:

VivalaSeles
May 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I've changed my opinion: I thought she did not deserve the number 1 ranking, but now I believe she has earned it. Obviously, a Slam would destroy any remaining doubts.

court70
May 26th, 2009, 01:11 AM
She has to win a major to cement herself as the no.1 player until then in my opinion she does not deserve that title. The majors are what makes a great player great not winning tier 1s and 2s.

hdfb
May 26th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I see where you are coming from but no. She has tot hold it together in a GS final.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 26th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I think people want an aggressive player at #1 and someone who has won a grand slam. Not a defensive minded person who hasn't. It would solidy Dinara as #1 if she won the French

RenaSlam.
May 26th, 2009, 01:23 AM
If she wins a slam this year, then yes.

If not, no.

Donny
May 26th, 2009, 01:27 AM
If she wins FO.

This.

TennisViewer531
May 26th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Are people more happy with Dinara as Number 1 now?

Not really, if you ask all the fans of the players ranked 2 to 1,000, they'd probably tell you "NO"... ;) :angel:

delicatecutter
May 26th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Like Ana, I think GS Final #3 will be the charm for Dina. I kind of selfishly hope it's not this RG. (TEAM ANA!! :worship:) But I feel far more confident she will win a Slam than Jankovic. I can't help but be a fan to watch her when she is playing well. She's totes amaze.

AcesHigh
May 26th, 2009, 02:33 AM
People will hate no matter what. You dont need a grand slam to be ranked #1....that is unless you cant win anything else. Dinara over the last 52 weeks has been the best, especially the last two months.

8 weeks a year does not determine who is the best for a 52 week calendar.

delicatecutter
May 26th, 2009, 02:37 AM
People will hate no matter what. You dont need a grand slam to be ranked #1....that is unless you cant win anything else. Dinara over the last 52 weeks has been the best, especially the last two months.

8 weeks a year does not determine who is the best for a 52 week calendar.

Preach! Although it's more like 46 weeks.

rjd1111
May 26th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I also changed my opinion and think that she deserves to be number 1 after that 2 victories... but the majority of people will only respect her with a slam under her belt!

Elena also won two events in a row before Oz.

Malva
May 26th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Dinara is again as solid as a tank. Against the ill wishes and predictions of all too many nay-sayers in the forum she has been able not only to remain in the #1 spot for more than a week. She actually increased her lead.

In my eyes, she earned the right to be #1 this Spring no matter what -- because of what she achieved last year. Call it a «deferred» pay-off. Yet after her recent display of great form she managed to silence the chorus of those unable to come to terms with the fact that she has been a dominant force on the tour in recent weeks.

Volcana
May 26th, 2009, 03:08 AM
She's totally deserving of the number one ranking. Has she done anything to prove she's the best player in the world? No.

unknowndiamond
May 26th, 2009, 03:30 AM
She's the best at this moment,that thing we can see clearly.And she just need winning a GS to become one of the greatest players.

No Name Face
May 26th, 2009, 03:39 AM
She's certainly the #1 player right now. Good for her. She's far more convincing than Ivanovic (even with the slam) and Jankovic.

Zauber
May 26th, 2009, 03:50 AM
of course the deserves the number one ranking in the world.
She has earned the points fair and sqauare.
However if someone aske me how is the best player in the world?
I would assume they would consider a lengthy period of time and someone who has not won a slam simply does not rate.
there are too many who have won a slam.
to be the best you have to beat allll the best at least once.
ps.
i hope she wins French open and many more slams
and make Marat come and watch ever single second without his blond entourange.

Temperenka
May 26th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Honestly, looking at the last 12 months she is the most fitting. Serena only shows up for slams. Safina shows up everywhere and throws her soul into every match and tournament. Because of her dedication on tour and vast number of titles, she is a solid #1. However, a slam would not hurt her case. I'd say I want her to win the French, but I also really want to see her go down to Ana/Vika in the quarters. If she wins that match, then she will be the one I am rooting for.

Koon
May 26th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I have no idea :p

V's a star
May 26th, 2009, 04:12 AM
id take anything over JJ

AnomyBC
May 26th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Are you asking me if I'm happy with her being #1 or if she deserves to be #1? Because those are two very different questions. Personally, there are about 10 people I'd rather see at #1, but in terms of who actually deserves it, I think it's Dinara. And, of course, if she wins this tournament then she'll really deserve it.

Malva
May 26th, 2009, 06:34 AM
o
to be the best you have to beat all the best at least once.

This argument on surface looks very convincing. But only on surface. One should not blindly apply it to grand slams. There have been so many examples of grand slam winners who were winning the trophy without beating/encountering on the way to the podium more than one, at most two, top 10-15 players. It is for the lower ranked players that the slams are very hard to go deep into.

dani-fan
May 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Dinara deserves to be there. She just didn't do anything and the ranking came. She has fought for that and that is the result. I don't understand the pple saying the number 1 muss win a Slam. Ok, Slams are always big tournaments but they are not all. So many players just do well once in a while in a Slam and cannot do anything else. Again, the ranking doesn't come automatically, one has to fight for it and Dinara did it so she deserves what she has now.

Nalla
May 26th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I don't have any problem with Dinara being no.1. GS will come sooner or later, but it will. I think she is better no.1 than Jankovic, thou they're both without a slam. And i am a fan of Jankovic..so.. :) She deserves it. :)

Slutiana
May 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hmm, shes definatly the no.1 player on clay. But its when she has to flatten out her shots on the faster surfaces, thats when all the errors come and thats why shes been losing a lot off clay recently. This is just one surface, we all know about the "Venus can't do anything off grass" well if the two seasons swapped lengths, I bet people would be saying this about Dinara right now.

Golovinjured.
May 26th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Yes. :)

Win RG though, then there won't be any doubt at all.

bandabou
May 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
It ain't about deserving. She worked for it, she deserved it. Period!

Still..in a major final: her vs a Serena..who do you put your money on? That's the difference between the no.1 player and the best player.

pollison
May 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Honestly, looking at the last 12 months she is the most fitting. Serena only shows up for slams. Safina shows up everywhere and throws her soul into every match and tournament. Because of her dedication on tour and vast number of titles, she is a solid #1. However, a slam would not hurt her case. I'd say I want her to win the French, but I also really want to see her go down to Ana/Vika in the quarters. If she wins that match, then she will be the one I am rooting for.

Too true!

Safina is an all year player who puts everything into every tourney.
Even though she hasnt won a GS as of today she is the most deserved to be no 1 in the women's game.

blamoh
May 26th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Today's performance? 2x0 against a British
player who never won a title yet. I do not
think anyone in his or her good mind of
judgment will even consider one bit of your
argument.
This girl has not won a slam, and we all know
a slam is a measure of being world number one.
If didn't win a slam in her whole career, the
only time we will remember her will be on the
paper that she was once a world number one without a grandslam. And I do not think many of her fans will not like that ASTERISK to her
name.

Athletics1982
May 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
If Safina wins RG this year, she is No.1 without any doubt. So let's see.

The Kaz
May 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Today's performance? 2x0 against a British
player who never won a title yet. I do not
think anyone in his or her good mind of
judgment will even consider one bit of your
argument.
This girl has not won a slam, and we all know
a slam is a measure of being world number one.
If didn't win a slam in her whole career, the
only time we will remember her will be on the
paper that she was once a world number one without a grandslam. And I do not think many of her fans will not like that ASTERISK to her
name.

:yawn: This phrase is getting SO old and is false...

Rankings are a measure of solid play for 52 weeks total, Something Serena (for example :p) is incapable of doing.

Safina :yeah: