PDA

View Full Version : All Williams Final??? What do you think?

supergrunt
May 25th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Whattt areee the chances???

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
If there is one tournament when I'm not certain they can do it, then this is it :(

They have the ability to do it again but I'm not optimistic about their chances.

Prove me wrong girls!!! :hearts:

CloudAtlas
May 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Think Dinara will beat Venus if both of them get to the semis. That girl is on a mission.

Uranium
May 25th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Depends on Serena's knee or foot. They both could if healthy. Serena having to play 2 matches tomorrow is gonna be rough if she is injured.

Tennisstar86
May 25th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Think Dinara will beat Venus if both of them get to the semis. That girl is on a mission.

I think Differently... If Venus makes the Semi's I think she wins the tournament..... Shes gotta get there first.... anyways

I give Venus better odds to make the final than Serena, but I really dont see it happening... it could though...

Dunlop1
May 25th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I think women's tennis deserves a better clay final than that.

supergrunt
May 25th, 2009, 10:46 PM
the australians deserved a better final in 06

supergrunt
May 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
:p

Dunlop1
May 25th, 2009, 10:51 PM
the australians deserved a better final in 06

I agree with you.
Doesn't invalidate my previous post though.

harloo
May 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I think women's tennis deserves a better clay final than that.

It would be better than ANY of Justine's one-sided FO finals.:tape::lol:

harloo
May 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Whattt areee the chances???

I don't think it will happen. Serena will lose earlier than Venus though. :)

Dunlop1
May 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
It would be better than ANY of Justine's one-sided FO finals.:tape::lol:

WS never made it that far to challenge her...

Caillou
May 25th, 2009, 11:00 PM
WS never made it that far to challenge her...

kinda like at wimbledon huh? and serena did, its just that someone stopped her literally with her hand

supergrunt
May 25th, 2009, 11:02 PM
does anyone like my sexy new avatar?

young_gunner913
May 25th, 2009, 11:05 PM
kinda like at wimbledon huh? and serena did, its just that someone stopped her literally with her hand

:spit::worship:

Matt01
May 25th, 2009, 11:05 PM
ETA: No way in hell.

Time to get over it.

HRHoliviasmith
May 25th, 2009, 11:06 PM

:lol:

AnomyBC
May 25th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Anything can happen in women's tennis these days, but I would be very surprised if either of them makes the finals.

new-york
May 25th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Venus could lose to anyone and i can't tell how Serena will play tommorow. :o

don't think so. :(

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM
If this were Wimbledon or the US Open I'd pencil them into the final. But this is the French Open so I'm not getting my hopes too high just take it match by match.

Dunlop1
May 25th, 2009, 11:16 PM

Um Justine made it to WS several times at Wimbledon. THey were the better players on those days.
Justine was the better player when Serena made it to her at RG and Wimbly 07.

Anyway this is off topic.

As to All Williams Final at RG, I stand by my original statement:

Women's tennis deserves a better clay final.

young_gunner913
May 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Time to get over it.

get over your jealousy and bitterness for Serena.

Dodoboy.
May 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
No Way/Bet against :sad:

supergrunt
May 25th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Um Justine made it to WS several times at Wimbledon. THey were the better players on those days.

Serena would have won that match and Wimbledon if not for her accident

StephenUK
May 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Let's see how Serena is tomorrow against Zakopalova. Given her fragile physical state and sequence of losses recently, it is way too early to be thinking about the final.

danieln1
May 25th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Safina/Ivanovic will beat Venus in the semis... or sheŽll bow out earlier

If Serena reaches semi-final against Sveta, I think Sveta can win this one

So, very little chance for a All Williams Final

faboozadoo15
May 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Anything can happen in women's tennis these days, but I would be very surprised if either of them makes the finals.

Venus could lose to anyone and i can't tell how Serena will play tommorow. :o

don't think so. :(

I agree with both of you. While I don't see it happening, who knows? I have a feeling it would require a few crazy matches for this to happen. If Serena comes out guns ablaze tomorrow, the likelihood goes up. Serena has a pretty good draw until Kuznetsova, who would probably be the slight favorite in their QF. If she gets by (not a stretch at all) she would probably have Dementieva or JJ. She owns Dementieva in majors, and JJ is not in form.

Venus, although healthy, is just too unpredictable. I can actually imagine Venus losing to half the players in her quarter. If she plays well, she should only have one or two more tough matches before the likely SF against Dinara. Although I wouldn't pick Venus in that match even if she survived Safarova, Vesnina/Szavay, Cibulkova/Dulko/Groenefeld, Petrova/Sharapova/Li. :help: That was exhausting. That quarter is just silly.

faboozadoo15
May 25th, 2009, 11:35 PM

I wouldn't balk at a PovaRena final even if it wasn't the best "claycourt tennis".

HRHoliviasmith
May 25th, 2009, 11:36 PM
No Way/Bet against :sad:

yeah that's what i picked to

DragonFlame
May 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
God i hope not. That would be depressing for me. :o

AcesHigh
May 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
It could happen but HIGHLY unlikely. I would be elated if Vee made it that far though. Fingers crossed

GeeTee
May 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Maybe revive this thread for Wimby cos snowball's chance in RG...

southern star
May 26th, 2009, 12:50 AM
It will be surprising if either of the Williams sisters make the final, let alone both.

pav
May 26th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Hell I hope not!

TennisViewer531
May 26th, 2009, 01:44 AM
All-Williams in singles, and then Williams winning the doubles too. :)

winone23
May 26th, 2009, 03:47 AM
All-Williams in singles, and then Williams winning the doubles too. :)

:drool::drool:

Tennisation
May 26th, 2009, 04:13 AM
All-Williams in singles, and then Williams winning the doubles too. :)If some Williams fan secretly spread grass seeds all over the court and water them every night until the clay is no longer clay, then yes.

Huntress55
May 26th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I certainly hope not!

unknowndiamond
May 26th, 2009, 05:53 AM
What do I think?
7 years after their peak and on their worst surface?
I guest other players would be mental helpless if it happened :o

Matt01
May 26th, 2009, 09:19 AM
get over your jealousy and bitterness for Serena.

Jealous of someone who has just lost 4 times in a row? You must be joking, my friend :lol:

Beny
May 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM
The chances are zero

Vegeto
May 26th, 2009, 01:04 PM

There's no better clay final than all Williams!!!!!

Beny
May 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
There is!

Safina against any top 10, Ivanovic too.

Dementieva in her 2008-clay form would be also fine ;)

Ziggy Starduck
May 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Magic 8 ball says 'no' :D

Sam L
May 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM
It will be all Williams final.

2Black
May 26th, 2009, 02:11 PM
This is clay people ... chill on this Williams' final stuff

The Kaz
May 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Venus on clay is like a cow on ice.

Not happening. Gunning for them to lose before the QF though :drool:

The Kaz
May 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
There's no better clay final than all Williams!!!!!

:lol: :haha: :tape: :help::o

Vegeto
May 26th, 2009, 03:37 PM
All Williams Final on RG is the best.
And also clear sweep in doubles is awesome. :]

Wonderlander
May 26th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I think I'm really fed up with all those about-Williams threads

Why there are no questions about all Bondarenko final, all Serb final or about all Kazakhian final?

Aravanecaravan
May 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I think I'm really fed up with all those about-Williams threads

Why there are no questions about all Bondarenko final, all Serb final or about all Kazakhian final?

Borat vs. who?

NeeemZ
May 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Borat vs. who?

Borat's wife, Oksana.

Direwolf
May 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM
i wouldnt be surprise if both sisters
reach the Finals in
both singles and doubles!!!

both are fresh enought to reach that stage

Polikarpov
May 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Borat's wife, Oksana.

:haha:

goldenboi356
May 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
i wouldnt be surprise if both sisters
reach the Finals in
both singles and doubles!!!

both are fresh enought to reach that stage

Have you seen their 1st round matches?? Any competent top 50 or something would have edged them out.

azinna
May 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Difficult to imagine, right now they look rustier and more scratchy than my 26-year old bicycle.

ElusiveChanteuse
May 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Nice to see an Williams final but that also indicates no one can play on clay then.:tape:

Destiny
May 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
No

Apoleb
May 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM
If an all Williams final happens at RG, I think I will swear off tennis for the rest of my life, and maybe even every joy I get out of life (ok I'm slightly exagerating with the latter :p: ).

doni1212
May 26th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Why don't the doubters ever learn? :tape: :drool: :devil:

gmokb
May 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I don't see why not, even though its clay. They have been there before and we know they have the ability to lift their games in the slams, especially if they make it into the second week. I won't read too much into their first round performances, I take one match at a time. I have seen favourites playing very well, not dropping a set and losing to sisters. I will agree that an all WS final is looking daunting but its not impossible.

Knizzle
May 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM
It's so funny how people talk about this not being possible...when it has already happened! Yes I understand clay is not first suited to their style of play, but there is no one in the WTA they don't have a good chance of beating on clay. Name any player and I'll break it down for you.

chuvack
May 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM
It's so funny how people talk about this not being possible...when it has already happened! Yes I understand clay is not first suited to their style of play, but there is no one in the WTA they don't have a good chance of beating on clay. Name any player and I'll break it down for you.

Problem with this statement is that it also works the other way. Any player that either Williams is going to face from here on forward in the draw (excepting VRP in Serena's next round) has a good chance of beating them.

Seven years ago is a long time. The Williams are not the same. It's not likely that either can reach the RG final ever again.

RenaSlam.
May 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Definitely.

Knizzle
May 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Problem with this statement is that it also works the other way. Any player that either Williams is going to face from here on forward in the draw (excepting VRP in Serena's next round) has a good chance of beating them.

Seven years ago is a long time. The Williams are not the same. It's not likely that either can reach the RG final ever again.

What players are these chuvack? Seven years is a long time, but look who is #2 and #3 in the world and won the last three slams and pretty much decided Wimbledon and the US Opens and also won the YEC. They are raising their levels at the majors.

winone23
May 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Why not, the Williams sisters have defied the odds plenty of times.

AcesHigh
May 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM
If an all Williams final happens at RG, I think I will swear off tennis for the rest of my life, and maybe even every joy I get out of life (ok I'm slightly exagerating with the latter :p: ).

:lol: With this field, it's not IMPOSSIBLE.

But honestly, it would be the worst clay final possible. They're both great players but their games don't translate on clay, ESPECIALLY against each other.

CloudAtlas
May 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Kuznetsova will take out Serena in the QF if she gets that far and if Venus gets to the semi she'll lose to Safina. Feel free to bump this if I'm wrong.

Either way no way will both of them get to the final.

Marshmallow
May 26th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I EXPECT TO SEE THEM AGAINST EACH OTHER IN THE FINAL.

Just wait. Just wait.

ce
May 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM
i dont think so :tape:
they cant even beat hlavackova/hradeska in doubles :tape:
its 6/1 3/6 4/3*

WowWow
May 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Errmmm....NO.

DOUBLEFIST
May 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
At any other slam, if the Sisters started off like they have here, I'd say an all Williams final was even money, but after today's results, :rolleyes: I'd say the NEXT ROUND is not guarantee.

John.
May 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I highly doubt it

Caillou
May 27th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I hope they just manage to clean up their games and at least one is able to make it to the final..if they did both make it, even better!

southern star
May 27th, 2009, 03:32 AM
"It's so funny how people talk about this not being possible."

I agree that no one should be saying it is not possible. Heck, any number of things are possible.

But you'd have to say it is just not likely. For _either_ of the Williams sisters to make even the semifinals at the French Open would be a very unusual event, based on their form on clay in this year and in previous years.

History isn't everything, but just to reiterate: last time SW made the semis was in 2003, for VW it was 2002.

Lulu.
May 27th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Not likely. I wouldn't want to see both of them in the final anyway, just one.

Koon
May 27th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Venus will lose to Dinara I think :p
Serena will lose to Sveta :p

Temperenka
May 27th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Oracene will be lucky to still be in Paris past the 4th round. Repeats of last year is what I see form them.

DemWilliamsGulls
May 27th, 2009, 05:27 AM
If Venus and serena can get to the semi final...they would put on one hell of an act to try to win. (especially Serena) its hard to tell right now...both of them are really rusty and havent been playin no where near their level of tennis so..we'll see. You all should KNOW BETTER than to underestimate them though

pepaw
May 27th, 2009, 06:06 AM
zero chance this will ever happen again.

supergrunt
May 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM
some of you guys really make me laugh

friendsita
May 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM
It will be hard but not imposible.

frenchie
May 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I don't see that happening even if I'd like to

Actually Venus is in danger against Safarova this afternoon...