PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Qualifying

47eggs
May 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hey everyone. Really looking forward to Wimbledon this year and I was also hoping to go down to the qualifying event too, but I don't really know much about it. Could anybody fill me in with the info, e.g. what days the men and women play on, does it cost to watch or to park etc? Or just share your experience of going to qualies i'd love to hear about them. Cheers :)

Joe.
May 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
i think qualifying is held at the NTC ;)

CooCooCachoo
May 25th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Hey!

You definitely should go to Wimbledon qualifying. It's my favourite event, and I've been to quite a few tournaments. The atmosphere is amazing, the players are accessible, the matches are entertaining (and often very good, or at least very competitive) and it's a great place to see many future stars.

The matches are held at the National Tennis Centre at Roehampton. You can watch them for free [:hearts:], but if you want to park, I think you might have to pay. Am not sure about that though. You could also take the bus to Priory Lane and then it's about a 10-15 minute walk on Priory Lane, which is a huge street. The area is quite beautiful though, so the walk isn't so bad.

The men start on Monday, the women on Tuesday. The second round is held on Wednesday, and the final round on Thursday. There's also doubles qualifying. Obviously, if the weather stinks, they can use the Friday and weekend too.

You'll be able to get the OOP and draws from a stand, and you can get food and drinks in the canteen/restaurant, where the players also eat.

It's an absolutely superb venue and an amazing event, especially if the weather is good. I am sure any tennis fan will love going, so you should definitely come. I'll be going for the third year in a row :cool:

Foot's Fingers
May 26th, 2009, 01:12 PM
if everything goes right i am going to visit Q this year

i don't know London quite good is it even near to Richmond then Wimbly?

need to ask Google Earth

CooCooCachoo
May 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Don't know if it's nearer than Wimbledon, but there are signs to Richmond all around the area.

ileana5
May 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I totally agree with CooCooCachoo, the qualies in Roehampton are a wonderful event, the venue is so beautiful :hearts: I hope the weather will be good like last year. This will be my second time there :)
I wasn't sure about the canteen, I thought it was only for the players, I'll check it this year, thx for the info ;)

adeegee
May 27th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Agree with everything CooCooCachoo said :p

Just to clarify, I've driven there the last 2 years and the street outside you can park on for free, as long as there's spaces (there usually is).

AdeyC
May 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I wasn't sure about the canteen, I thought it was only for the players, I'll check it this year, thx for the info ;)

Take my advice and avoid the pineapple chunks:)

wally1
May 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I usually get the train to Barnes and walk from there - it's about a 20-25 min walk I recall. Definitely one of the best free days of entertainment you'll find in London!

47eggs
May 29th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hey!

You definitely should go to Wimbledon qualifying. It's my favourite event, and I've been to quite a few tournaments. The atmosphere is amazing, the players are accessible, the matches are entertaining (and often very good, or at least very competitive) and it's a great place to see many future stars.

The matches are held at the National Tennis Centre at Roehampton. You can watch them for free [:hearts:], but if you want to park, I think you might have to pay. Am not sure about that though. You could also take the bus to Priory Lane and then it's about a 10-15 minute walk on Priory Lane, which is a huge street. The area is quite beautiful though, so the walk isn't so bad.

The men start on Monday, the women on Tuesday. The second round is held on Wednesday, and the final round on Thursday. There's also doubles qualifying. Obviously, if the weather stinks, they can use the Friday and weekend too.

You'll be able to get the OOP and draws from a stand, and you can get food and drinks in the canteen/restaurant, where the players also eat.

It's an absolutely superb venue and an amazing event, especially if the weather is good. I am sure any tennis fan will love going, so you should definitely come. I'll be going for the third year in a row :cool:

Thanks very much for all the information it sounds brilliant. Can't wait to go now :D

47eggs
May 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for everyone's advice :)

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
As everyone who has been before suggests, Roehampton rules. :rocker:

I don't think there could be a more enjoyable way for a tennis fan to spend a day without spending any dosh. Go once and you will want to go every year because it really is that good.

KournikovaFan91
Jun 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
I wish I could go and support Karatantcheva :) I assume she is in qualies. :)

Drake1980
Jun 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM
What is best way to get there? Train to East Putney and then bus or train to Hammersmith and then bus or is there an even better way?

Mike_T
Jun 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM
i think qualifying is held at the NTC ;)

The matches are held at the National Tennis Centre
I made plans to watch Iroda here in 2007, but couldn’t make it, but I was told it’s not held at the NTC, but next door, at the Bank of England Sports Ground?? Not part of the NTC, apparently?? Really regret not seeing Rodi play, especially as her career has stalled ever since...

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
What is best way to get there? Train to East Putney and then bus or train to Hammersmith and then bus or is there an even better way?

Depends really where you are coming from but from most of London I would say a bus from Hammersmith is the best way to go. The other possibility depending on where you are coming from would be to take a train to Barnes and walk from there. You can get a train there from Waterloo.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I wish I could go and support Karatantcheva :) I assume she is in qualies. :)

Yes, she's in the quali draw this year :D. Hopefully she can make it through to the MD :bounce:

IMPOSSIBLE
Jun 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I might try and go to qualifying on the Wednesday.

What is the nearest train station?

Drake1980
Jun 14th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Can someone tell me which bus number I catch from Hammersmith St. please?

Bartosh
Jun 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM
sounds like it's better than main draw tournament :hearts: :lol:

Lodvg
Jun 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Good luck to Arantxa Parra:bounce:

Escape
Jun 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM

I am going on Wednesday :cool:

Barnes is the nearest station but is 20 minutes walk away.

jrm
Jun 15th, 2009, 02:33 PM
How much do you pay to get in?

Is it cheaper now in qualies than later when MD starts?

Bartosh
Jun 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM
How much do you pay to get in?

Is it cheaper now in qualies than later when MD starts?

qualies are free :) but they are not played on Wimbledon ;)

Petkorazzi
Jun 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
:topic: When will the draw be made? :)

Petkorazzi
Jun 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Will they start making it at 9 PM or it's gonna be published by then? :unsure:

Jorn
Jun 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Q-Draw will likely be out at about 9pm.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Maybe you'll see Lilia :cool: