PDA

View Full Version : So is the Clay fast or slow?

Serenita
May 25th, 2009, 06:03 PM
So is the Clay in FO, fast or slow?
i havent seen any matches yet.

Tennis Ball
May 25th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Fast for clay.

Serenita
May 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
thnx

homogenius
May 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Fast.Weather is sunny since yesterday and the clay is dry.

Lunaris
May 25th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Fast for clay.
I believe that if we disregard weather it's slower than Stuttgart, Rome and Madrid. From bigger tournaments only Warsaw is even slower. Of course, as Homogenius wrote, sunny weather and dry air makes it faster, which probably allowed Dr. Ivo to hit so many aces yesterday. I read that it should rain tomorrow, which will make it considerably slower.
Another thing to note is that Lenglen plays faster and differently than the other courts. Many players complained about this inconsistency in the past.

Direwolf
May 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM
not really that fast...
its still clay...

VenusSerenaBlvd.
May 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM
fast when dry and sunny, slow and heavy after rain. so it changes due to the weather.

lynxy
May 25th, 2009, 09:36 PM
What makes the clay fast or slow- size of the particles, the depth, the drainage?? I thought it fairly fast but then it should be, when dry. There's quite a layer there but it is still fine enough to blow all over me when they raked it.

jefrilibra
May 25th, 2009, 09:39 PM
It's pretty fast and will get even faster if it remains hot.

TheBoiledEgg
May 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
What makes the clay fast or slow- size of the particles, the depth, the drainage?? I thought it fairly fast but then it should be, when dry. There's quite a layer there but it is still fine enough to blow all over me when they raked it.

balls get heavier if court is wet, also balls travel slower thru air.

serenus_2k8
May 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I think bad weather is expected for tommorrow. Could be tough for Ree..

Corswandt
May 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Slow.

Slower than Stuttgart (diff. size of the clay particles used), Rome (clay set over a layer of concrete) and Madrid (altitude, fucked up courts that weren't finished within the required 6 weeks before the event was scheduled to take place).

ATP Monte Carlo (at sea level) is supposed to play much like RG.

The conditions at the Estoril Open courts, for instance, vary wildly depending on weather conditions. After a couple of days of scorching heat like we had this year, the clay can get as dry and hard as rock. In 2008 there was rain in nearly every day of competition, with some matches played under constant drizzle, and the clay became a painfully slow, disgusting Warsaw-style muck.

The difference between Chatrier and the other RG courts is difficult to assess because of the distinct camera angles used.

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Slow. In fact, not much have changed since last year.

Wojtek
May 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Slow. In fact, not much have changed since last year.

No it's fast. I just read few interviews and players said it had been fast.