PDA

View Full Version : NCAA singles & doubles draw - 2009

gouci
May 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
:bounce:

NCAA singles draw (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ita_assets/pdf/NCAA+Championships/Women$!27s+Singles.pdf) - starts Wed. 5/20

NCAA doubles draw (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ita_assets/pdf/NCAA+Championships/Women$!27s+Doubles.pdf) - starts Thurs. 5/21

gouci
May 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Unseeded players that I can see potentially taking out a seeded player:

Marta Lesniak - SMU

Mari Anderson - Cal

Amalgamate
May 19th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Unseeded players that I can see potentially taking out a seeded player:

Marta Lesniak - SMU

Mari Anderson - Cal

Melanie Gloria beating Falconi.

I think Cecil will go far. Good Luck Barte :yeah:
:spit: Oh Julia Cohen....

iPatty
May 19th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Cohen just got smacked by Cecil 62 61 and Gullickson is also seeded far too low. The Cecil-McDowell match looks good on paper but I don't think it will really be too close.

Goooo Reka :rocker2:

gouci
May 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Links

Scoreboard & Video (http://www.aggieathletics.com/ncaa2009/tennis/stats.html)

Results page (http://www.aggieathletics.com/ncaa2009/tennis/results.html)

#4 seed Mijacika (Clemson) just escapes Lesniak (SMU) 6-7,6-4,7-5.

Upsets

Natasha Marks (Arizona) def. #6 seed Fani Chifchieva (Auburn) 6-4, 6-4. :eek:
Although Form may still insist Arizona's top 3 singles is "nothing special." :haha:

tucker1989
May 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Just finished watching Abdala/Ko, great match. Sad Ko couldn't pull it out, but they were both striking the ball so well.

Gullickson looked great this morning, while Mosolova looked pretty rusty until the last few games.

Looking forward to the Duke girls' matches this afternoon as well as Miseviciute and Gilchrist

Amalgamate
May 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
The livestream is :hearts: Good job today Barte :yeah:

gouci
May 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
More 1st Round Upsets

1. Melanie Gloria (Fresno St.) def. 9-16 seed Irina Falconi (Georgia Tech) 6-0,6-1
Gloria the NCAA doubles runner-up last year has had recent losses that may have indicated she wasn't at 100%. Well she seemed healthy as she destroyed Falconi.

2. Laura Gioia (Furman) def. 9-16 seed Nina Soegaard (TCU) 6-4,6-1

3. Ellah Nze (Duke) def. 9-16 seed Kelcy McKenna (Arizona St.) 6-3,7-6

2nd Round Upsets

1. Laura Vallverdu (Miami) def. #4 seed Ani Majacika (Clemson) 7-6,7-6

2. Bianca Eichkorn (Miami) def. 9-16 seed Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) 6-1,6-3

The national champs Duke had 3 players advance into the Round of 16. :worship:

desariofan
May 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
I am hoping my UF girls go far.. GO gators!!

UFGatorFan
May 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Boonstra just took out Barte, 7-5, 6-1. She struggled in her opening match, but has looked great the last 2 days. I know she'd love a rematch with Falcon, if she gets past Vallverdu. She and Jo looked strong in doubles yesterday as well.

mboyle
May 22nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
I think this is going to be a Cecil vs. Gullickson final. Hope Mallory takes it. Of course I'd be happy as a clam if Reka beat Mallory in the finals. Go moonballs!

desariofan
May 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Soo glad that Maria beat Reka... it was painful to watch. Of course, Gullickson just took Maria out.

UF's Boonstra seems anything but trying.

croat123
May 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
vallverdu def. boonstra 6-1 6-7(9) 6-3
epic choke in the second by laura up 5*-4 40-0, but then a comeback at 1-3 in the third
cohen up 7-5 5-7 3*-0
umiami might have two girls in the semis :eek:

desariofan
May 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM
vallverdu def. boonstra 6-1 6-7(9) 6-3
epic choke in the second by laura up 5*-4 40-0, but then a comeback at 1-3 in the third
cohen up 7-5 5-7 3*-0
umiami might have two girls in the semis :eek:

Boostra's injury did her in. Was hoping she'd pull through.
I wanted Miami girls to fail so bad... SOooo bad. oh well.
Gullickson's gonna take it.

barboza
May 24th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Will mens or womens final be on tv?

Natash.
May 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I hope Chelsey takes it. :)

gouci
May 24th, 2009, 05:56 PM
If Mallory Cecil (Duke) wants to win the NCAA singles title she may have to defeat both Julia Cohen (Miami) and Chelsey Gullickson (Georgia) to do it. So here's a trivia question.

TRIVIA

What player(s) has defeated both Chelsey Gullickson (Georgia) and Julia Cohen (Miami) in singles play?

ANSWER

Klaudia Malenovska of the Slovak Republic and heading to Long Beach St.

So ALL THE TOP 16 SEEDED PLAYERS in the 2009 NCAA singles tournament SHOULD BE VERY AFRAID OF MALENOVSKA because she is coming next season!!! :scared: :scared: :scared:

That includes the Pac 10, ACC, SEC, Big 10 and Big 12, the BCS conferences who normally claims all the Sweet 16 participants in the singles tourney, they should all BE SHAKING IN THEIR BOOTS due to MALENOVSKA because she may bust up their traditional Sweet 16 monopoly!!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

When the 2010 NCAA tourney comes around MALENOVSKA will be a 21 year old freshman contending for the NCAA singles title!!! :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe:

tucker1989
May 24th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Cecil demolished Cohen 6-1 6-0, really impressive

tucker1989
May 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Gullickson-Vallverdu: 4-6 7-5, about to start the third

Vallverdu was up 2 breaks 6-4 5-2 with a match point at 5-4, but Gullickson stayed aggressive and won 5 in a row. I hope Chelsey keeps it up for the third

UFGatorFan
May 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM
If Mallory Cecil (Duke) wants to win the NCAA singles title she may have to defeat both Julia Cohen (Miami) and Chelsey Gullickson (Georgia) to do it. So here's a trivia question.

TRIVIA

What player(s) has defeated both Chelsey Gullickson (Georgia) and Julia Cohen (Miami) in singles play?

ANSWER

Klaudia Malenovska of the Slovak Republic and heading to Long Beach St.

So ALL THE TOP 16 SEEDED PLAYERS in the 2009 NCAA singles tournament SHOULD BE VERY AFRAID OF MALENOVSKA because she is coming next season!!! :scared: :scared: :scared:

That includes the Pac 10, ACC, SEC, Big 10 and Big 12, the BCS conferences who normally claims all the Sweet 16 participants in the singles tourney, they should all BE SHAKING IN THEIR BOOTS due to MALENOVSKA because she may bust up their traditional Sweet 16 monopoly!!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

When the 2010 NCAA tourney comes around MALENOVSKA will be a 21 year old freshman contending for the NCAA singles title!!! :hehehe: :hehehe: :hehehe:

21 year old freshman? How is this even allowed?

gouci
May 24th, 2009, 10:18 PM
21 year old freshman? How is this even allowed? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Unfortunately 21 year old freshmen seem to be popping up in college tennis.

And Long Beach St. is certainly one of the schools setting that bad trend. :devil:

UFGatorFan
May 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM
A note about Laura Vallverdu for Miami. She has to be so mentally drained after this week and at the same time, feel like she can overcome anything. She trailed Falcon a set and 4-2, before she rallied to win in 3. Then she had match points in the 2nd set against Boonstra, lost those and fell behind a break in the 3rd, before rallying to win. Today she had a set and 5-2 lead, match point, lost that, but rallies to win it in the 3rd. Incredible ability to put missed opportunities behind her and focus in.

10sreturns
May 24th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Great win from Vallverdu!!! So much for the Cecil/Gully final everyone predicted!!

UFGatorFan
May 24th, 2009, 11:03 PM
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

And Long Beach St. is certainly one of the schools setting that bad trend. :devil:

I'm all for foreign players getting opportunities to get an education and play tennis, but really don't like it when these kids are 21 and 22 years old and are classified as freshmen. That's just flat out cheating, to me. I thought this trend was going away, especially after all the players that ruled ineligible a few years back just before NCAA's began. It seems to be getting worse.

barboza
May 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Can someone please tell me if espn/espn2 will be showing the final like in years' past? The livestream quality is not that great.

tucker1989
May 24th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Really not a fan of Vallverdu, but she played great when they came back from the rain delay. Hope Mallory takes it tomorrow

RobertCB
May 25th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Gouci, glad to see you are getting your licks in now because we all know that they are few and far between during conference :bounce:. I am also glad to see that you recognize LBSU's incoming talent so you do not not have to waste your time posting how The Beach's run is over like you did this season. It is nice to know that some things never change :lol:.

As for Klaudia Malenovska and her success against the current field, those wins mean nothing when she begins her NCAA play next season. Some players keep improving and others plateau, and the players still in it have proven themselves against the best the NCAA has to offer. Malenovska could turn out to be another Jenifer Widjaja, Pacific's player that had a high WTA ranking of 186, that bowed out in the first round this year. Not expecting that type of outcome from KM but you never know. She does look good on youtube though.

mboyle
May 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Chelsey may have lost, but I was impressed with how she plays. Maria Mosolova is unbelievably overrated, ps. Chelsey is the best player in the country, I think. Mallory is no. 2 or 3. Laura is playing out of her mind this week but did not look nearly this good when I saw her play Duke the past two times.

mboyle
May 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Really not a fan of Vallverdu, but she played great when they came back from the rain delay. Hope Mallory takes it tomorrow

Me too...plus what does it say about Miami if their number one loses 1 and 0 and then their number 2 beats the same girl? Julia Cohen's overrated anyway. I never did like her. Mallory haaaaaaaates her with a passion though. Like it's her favorite thing in the world to play Julia because she just wants to win every single point.

gouci
May 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Will Mallory Cecil stay all 4 years at Duke or will she turn pro if she wins both a team and individual NCAA title?

form
May 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Uh, because she wants a degree. Rarely does NCAA champ go on to be a top 100 pro making any kind of money beyond covering expenses much less do it for the rest of their adult lives? You really need to do some research.

Love the 'hex' you are trying to put on LB recruit. Robert is on it though... she is not playing at the same level presently until arriving in school. But we LB fans certainly appreciate your concern; let us hope her college career goes as you predict.

Oh, and as you know but others that read this web page don't know, she just turned 20 in late April. Thus she is a legal 20 year frosh... not like the other girl at Cal. The only way she will be a "21" year old frosh is if she is part of the team that yet again sends UCI home without a trophy... which is um, ur, um.... every time in league history so far.

But you do like to try to push buttons. Have a great summer and be sure to go to UCI athletics and polish that league trophy for them.

form
May 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Re: NCAA singles & doubles draw - 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci

And Long Beach St. is certainly one of the schools setting that bad trend.

I'm all for foreign players getting opportunities to get an education and play tennis, but really don't like it when these kids are 21 and 22 years old and are classified as freshmen. That's just flat out cheating, to me. I thought this trend was going away, especially after all the players that ruled ineligible a few years back just before NCAA's began. It seems to be getting worse.

Gatorfan... LB has never signed a 21 year old. The girl in question 20 and will not turn 21 until late April 2010.... but Gouci gave you bad info... on purpose. He should be banned from yet another web site for intentional misrepresentation.

UFGatorFan
May 25th, 2009, 07:14 PM
20 is still old for a freshman. I was a month past 18 when I started college. That's a huge difference and I still don't think it is right. Why are these kids waiting 2 years past normal to start college? By the time this player graduates, she will be 25 playing NCAA's, against some kids who are barely 18. That's fair how?

gouci
May 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Will Mallory Cecil stay all 4 years at Duke or will she turn pro if she wins both a team and individual NCAA title?
Form the above was for mboyle who could ask Mallory that question in person. But of course you thought mboyle was an Arizona St. Sun Devil. :lol:

By the time this player graduates, she will be 25 playing NCAA's, against some kids who are barely 18.
See Form you can't fool UFGatorFan! :haha:

Watch out UFGatorFan he might argue with you that Malenovska will only be a 24 year old senior. :lol:

.... He should be banned from yet another web site for intentional misrepresentation. Form now you have told a lie. :tape:
I have never been banned from any messageboard. I left that other board voluntarily :angel: to honor YOUR request as a favor TO YOU! :hug:

form
May 25th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Just to throw salt in the wounds of a bad NCAA rule being brutalized beyond belief

- The NCAA doubles title was just won by two of the three worst eligiblity abuses ever

Andersson of Cal.... did sit one year (losing her age 21 frosh year).... age 22 soph with $25K earnings
Juricova of Cal... somehow did not sit a year ... age 21 frosh with $25K earnings

Congrats to Cal... best Compliance Director getting people eligible in the country

UFGatorFan
May 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Yes, my bad, the player will "only" be 24 when she plays her senior year of NCAA's. Most kids are seniors when they're 21.

Cal is supposed to be this upstanding, prestigious public institution. How in the world can they get these kids eligible and classify them as frosh and sophs at that age? Pretty crazy. Marrit Boonstra at Florida lost a year a year of eligibility and she's classified as a junior and she's 20, which is the right age for a junior. She'll be 21 in September as a senior.

I say this as a fan of Florida, knowing they had a 20 year old freshman playing this year. I think that's just too old. They had one on the women's team and the men's team.

Cal should feel real good about their cheaters.

gouci
May 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Duke freshman Mallory Cecil wins NCAA singles title
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

She won 7-5,6-4.

barboza
May 26th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Valverdu plays like Sania Mirza. Anyway, good job by Cal in doubles -- Lindsay Burdette of Stanford reminds me on Kuznetsova in her playing style.

form
May 26th, 2009, 03:45 AM
UFGatorFan I again agree. LB just had # 1 graduate... she's 21 .... and injured former # 5 graduate... she's actually still 20 and gets diploma this week.

The rules need to change.

But then the examples like Cal, or the Pacific girl, and some others.... when you take your first class and first team practice at 21 and 22... yikes! Not to mention $25K, playing as many as 25 ITF/WTA's per year for three and four years... that's more tournies than the sisters play!

tucker1989
May 26th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Courtesy of ZooTennis

"We'll see how the summer goes," Cecil said. "I've set everything up as if I'm coming back next year. I've got all my classes, my roommate. I'm going to play, set a goal that I'd like to have by the end of this summer, and we'll go from there. I'm really enjoying college and college tennis, so why not look at another year?"

gouci
May 26th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Courtesy of ZooTennis

"We'll see how the summer goes," Cecil said. "I've set everything up as if I'm coming back next year. I've got all my classes, my roommate. I'm going to play, set a goal that I'd like to have by the end of this summer, and we'll go from there. I'm really enjoying college and college tennis, so why not look at another year?"
Nice find Tucker! :worship:

With this years top seniors graduating and the top incoming freshman next year in Rebecca Marino turning pro, Mallory Cecil certainly has a good chance of defending her NCAA singles title.

However if she does turn pro its after already reaching the pinnicle of college tennis. She won both an NCAA team and individual singles title and in the shortest time possible too, in as little as 5 months of college. :lol:

mboyle
May 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Courtesy of ZooTennis

Yeah everyone thought she was going pro and not going to college at all. I think she's good enough to be top 100 honestly. But then again, if she graduates from Duke as a student athlete, even with a reasonable GPA, she still has a very good chance at getting a job as a banker or consultant (a la Ansley Cargill), or alternatively would have her pick of top law schools (I'm pretty sure Reka is the only pre-med). Kelly McCain even just won the Rhodes Scholarship. She was our no. 1 a couple years ago.

I don't actually know Mallory. I know Reka and Ellah. I do know that the whole team has wonderful chemistry that is obvious to anyone who watches them, and would like to think that that would factor into Mallory's decision as well. I hope she comes back. Duke needs more national championships! Lol.

barboza
May 26th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I'm really surprised at how easily Duke beat Cal... I think the team could be really dominant in the near future just like Stanford a few years ago.

Tennisace
May 27th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Yeah everyone thought she was going pro and not going to college at all. I think she's good enough to be top 100 honestly. But then again, if she graduates from Duke as a student athlete, even with a reasonable GPA, she still has a very good chance at getting a job as a banker or consultant (a la Ansley Cargill), or alternatively would have her pick of top law schools (I'm pretty sure Reka is the only pre-med). Kelly McCain even just won the Rhodes Scholarship. She was our no. 1 a couple years ago.

I don't actually know Mallory. I know Reka and Ellah. I do know that the whole team has wonderful chemistry that is obvious to anyone who watches them, and would like to think that that would factor into Mallory's decision as well. I hope she comes back. Duke needs more national championships! Lol.

But didn't you say earlier that Iyer doesn't get along with the team?

For the Cal players do we know if they acutally took the money (i.e. turned pro)? If they did turn pro and now are in college, I agree that is not fair. But if they didn't I don't see the problem. FYI Cecil has "won" over $25K.

mboyle
May 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM
But didn't you say earlier that Iyer doesn't get along with the team?

For the Cal players do we know if they acutally took the money (i.e. turned pro)? If they did turn pro and now are in college, I agree that is not fair. But if they didn't I don't see the problem. FYI Cecil has "won" over $25K.

Oh yeah hahaha well Tara like doesn't go to practice and refused to go on spring break with the rest of the team, so I wasn't counting her.

IMPOSSIBLE
May 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM
was this the event where Mari Andersson won the doubles?

tucker1989
May 28th, 2009, 04:35 AM
was this the event where Mari Andersson won the doubles?

Yep :)