PDA

View Full Version : Your prediction - will Dinara Safina win the 2009 French Open?

chuvack
May 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I would say Safina is in Paris the clearest favorite going into any Grand Slam since at least FO 2007 (Henin). Yet Safina is unproven with no GS titles, and many seem to doubt she'll win. Let's see what numbers the wise prognosticating minds of WTF come up with.

Imperfect Angel
May 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
She should win but not sure she will.

Shvedbarilescu
May 19th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'd give her about a 40% chance. But considering that leaves the rest of the field of 127 players with just a 60% chance between them I'd say 40% is pretty damn good. I'm not saying she is sure to win but I like her chances a hell of a lot more than anyone else's.

slydevil6142
May 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM
She is the favorite but Im not sure she will win. Im still concerned that she wouldnt beat the top girls when it really matters but maybe she'll prove me wrong(but I doubt it).

Malva
May 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I would say Safina is in Paris the clearest favorite going into any Grand Slam since at least FO 2007 (Henin). Yet Safina is unproven with no GS titles, and many seem to doubt she'll win. Let's see what numbers the wise prognosticating minds of WTF come up with.

I tend to agree. She is a clear favorite to the title.

SAEKeithSerena
May 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
i hoped Serena would be serious about going to 4 straight slam finals, but she has totally spiraled down since her Aussie win.

no one will stand in Safina's way but herself. this is her time to shine, and i hope she can do it!

2Black
May 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
My question is ... what is the difference in the clay in Rome versus Paris. I ask because Venus took Dinara to 3 hours so Dinara needs to Paris to be even slower or someone will trip her up

Expat
May 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Wasn't Madrid even faster than Rome?
And the French is traditionally slower than Rome.

2Black
May 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Dinara also needs that serve to hold up ... 1 bad serving day in week 2 & she's OUT

Uranium
May 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
She is the favorite, but she won't win IMHO, she will burn out near the end I think.

VIKA?
May 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Masha will destroy her:devil:

Costanza
May 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Safina is Rome champ,that means that she's not winning FO:devil:

lilimi
May 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Safina is Rome champ,that means that she's not winning FO:devil:

i know :bigcry: i hope she'll end the curse.

LUVMIRZA
May 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Dinara can beat anybody anytime, but it all depends on her mentality. If she is very aggressive and keeps her cool, she can win it.

LightWarrior
May 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
She's the overwhelming favourite given her recent results. However it's almost too good to be true to me.
1/ She probably peaked too soon (reminds me of Dementieva before OA in a lot of ways)
2/ Apart from Venus she has not faced a top player during those 3 warmup tournaments.
3/ She has yet to prove to be able to hold her nerves during a GS final.

Bijoux0021
May 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
If Dinara's going to win her first Slam, this year's FO is the perfect opportunity for her to do it. No one can predict the future, but I doubt her chances to win a Slam at Wimbledon or U.S. Open are going to look this good. The Clay is her favorite surface. She's going in playing great. She's in great shape physically and mentally. She's the top favorite, so all signs indicate it's hers for the taking. If she wins it, I won't be surprised. If she doesn't win it, I also won't be surprised, because the Slams are a whole different story and so much more pressure to perform on the big stage. So only time will tell if she'll be able to overcome her nerves and finally win a major.

Malva
May 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
2/ Apart from Venus she has not faced a top player during those 3 warmup tournaments.

I see... you do not consider Kuznetsova a top player. That's interesting. Who has been playing better than Kuznetsova lately except for Safina?

mckyle.
May 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I hope so.

CoolDude7
May 19th, 2009, 09:52 PM
She will get to the quarters, but i think she will lose to elena or semi's to jankovic

bobbynorwich
May 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
If Dinara's going to win her first Slam, this year's FO is the perfect opportunity for her to do it. No one can predict the future, but I doubt her chances to win a Slam at Wimbledon or U.S. Open are going to look this good. The Clay is her favorite surface. She's going in playing great. She's in great shape physically and mentally. She's the top favorite, so all signs indicate it's hers for the taking. If she wins it, I won't be surprised. If she doesn't win it, I also won't be surprised, because the Slams are a whole different story and so much more pressure to perform on the big stage. So only time will tell if she'll be able to overcome her nerves and finally win a major.

Not much else to say, that pretty much says it all.

;)

QUEENLINDSAY
May 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I have a feeling Kuzzie will win, but definitely Safina is the player to beat!

Temperenka
May 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
She's the favorite and has a better chance than anyone going in... does that mean she will win? No.
She very well could, but the title is on her racket and I see her dropping somewhere in the second week unexpectedly.

LightWarrior
May 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I see... you do not consider Kuznetsova a top player. That's interesting. Who has been playing better than Kuznetsova lately except for Safina?

By "top player" I mean top 5. Kuznets had a good run in Stuttgart and won. After that she went back to her usual and erratic play. She sucked in the Rome final big time. Don't even get me started on the way she played in Madrid. So Kuznets a top player ? No way.

Bosco123
May 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
By "top player" I mean top 5. Kuznets had a good run in Stuttgart and won. After that she went back to her usual and erratic play. She sucked in the Rome final big time. Don't even get me started on the way she played in Madrid. So Kuznets a top player ? No way.

Taking into account only the top 5 this year is not that wise this year as this is the most open RG in years. There are at list 7 players who are capable of taking it, Kuzi is certainly 1 of them and since Safina beat her twice lately , Safina's tournaments on clay this year certainly count to something.

Safina is the overwhelming favorite and actually if Safina didn't have that back injury last year that prevented her to be more prepared for RG, she would have won it last year as well. Those 2 very hard 3 setters in a row coming for behind exhausted her, while Ana's draw in comparison was ridiculous. This year Safina comes with the highest fitness level possible, so this year it surely won't happened.

Only way that Safina can blow it up is if she's facing a red hot Serena in the finals which is very very unlikely given the circumstances.

So go Safina, take your first GS title and show who is the real number 1.

LightWarrior
May 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Taking into account only the top 5 this year is not that wise this year as this is the most open RG in years. There are at list 7 players who are capable of taking it, Kuzi is certainly 1 of them and since Safina beat her twice lately , Safina's tournaments on clay this year certainly count to something.

Safina is the overwhelming favorite and actually if Safina didn't have that back injury last year that prevented her to be more prepared for RG, she would have won it last year as well. Those 2 very hard 3 setters in a row coming for behind exhausted her, while Ana's draw in comparison was ridiculous. This year Safina comes with the highest fitness level possible, so this year it surely won't happened.

Only way that Safina can blow it up is if she's facing a red hot Serena in the finals which is very very unlikely given the circumstances.
So go Safina, take your first GS title and show who is the real number 1.

"Back injury"...nice one. Never heard of a back injury last year. You're do funny to come up with that, good one. Did she also have a back injury during this year's OA final? :help:

Bosco123
May 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
"Back injury"...nice one. Never heard of a back injury last year. You're do funny to come up with that, good one. Did she also have a back injury during this year's OA final? :help:

check her schedule last year, she played Berlin and then didn't play a single tournament till RG, if I recall right it was due to a back injury.

StephenUK
May 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I really hope Dinara wins because she has been the best player on clay over 2008-9 overall if you look at what she has won and the players she has beaten. She has not beaten so many top 5 players this year because most of them have lost before she has had a chance to play them; last year she beat Justine and Serena back to back amongst other great wins! I think it would restore some lustre to the women's game if the world no 1 could win a slam for a change.

I agree with some of the other posters that there will be major pressure on Dinara as she will be the favourite without having won a slam before, but Dinara has been handling the top ranking really well and played her best tennis for months over this clay season. Maybe Serena's comments have spurred her on. She seems a much more focussed and mature player than in the past. There has never been a better time for her to win a slam but nothing is sure in tennis these days so we will just have to see whether her form and her luck holds over those two weeks in Paris...

faboozadoo15
May 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Her odds must be so much better than anyone else's given
A. Her condition. She's so fit.
B. She's exuding confidence/
C. Her number is up. She seems really ready to win a big one.
D. It's slow red clay, which is the only surface where she could surely beat a WS or Pova even if they bring their A game.

LUVMIRZA
May 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM
check her schedule last year, she played Berlin and then didn't play a single tournament till RG, if I recall right it was due to a back injury.

Yep she withdrew from Rome I remember. and last year she had the beer belly:lol:

Bosco123
May 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Yep she withdrew from Rome I remember. and last year she had the beer belly:lol:

She still have a small belly this year, but I think that this is just her body shape, nothing she can do about that. :p

LightWarrior
May 19th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Don't be in denial. She was perfectly fit so save MPs against Sharaopova. She was perfectly fit during the final. She just choked that day, everybody knows that. She choked again at the OA final (Serena wasn't especially fired up, she just had to show up). Her problem is mental. If she wins RG I will shut up. If she doesn't...her credibility as a #1 player will be more questioned than ever.

Bosco123
May 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Don't be in denial. She was perfectly fit so save MPs against Sharaopova. She was perfectly fit during the final. She just choked that day, everybody knows that. She choked again at the OA final (Serena wasn't especially fired up, she just had to show up). Her problem is mental. If she wins RG I will shut up. If she doesn't...her credibility as a #1 player will be more questioned than ever.

I disagree, and I have a proof that her fitness at that period was questioned. Just a month later she couldn't stand on her feet to finish her match against Peer in Wimbledon and thus lost the match- those 3 setters against Dementieva and Sharapova tool a lot out of her ,then, fragile body.

Buitenzorg
May 19th, 2009, 11:07 PM
depending of the draw....

BUT she has at least [i predicted] 70% chance to win the title ;)

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 20th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Qf

Svetlana.
May 20th, 2009, 12:45 AM
it's all in Dinara's hands

@danieln1
May 20th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Only if she faces a player playing out of her mind she won´t win this, since she is the most consistent player of the clay season, by far...

But if she faces a red hot Sveta or a playing near her best Ivanovic, she won´t win, but I think this year safina will be a slam champ!

Hardiansf
May 20th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I want one of my faves won it :angel:
But if they are fail, I really really want Safina win it. I have nothing against her, so it's okay.
It really nice if she won RG and Wimbledon (after Vee retired ;)) so another family have a complete slam collection. :worship:

Roookie
May 20th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I want one of my faves won it :angel:
But if they are fail, I really really want Safina win it. I have nothing against her, so it's okay.
It really nice if she won RG and Wimbledon (after Vee retired ;)) so another family have a complete slam collection. :worship:

Same for me, if my favourites suck and lose early i'll be cheering for her. I just don't want a MM tournamet queen to end up winning a GS. :scared:

InsideOut.
May 20th, 2009, 03:24 AM

No she wouldn't. I know Dinara's draw last year was tough, but tennis-wise no one even came close to matching Ana's level at RG last year. :rolleyes: Dinara was lucky to make the final close because of Ana's choking. Three-setters are part of the game. If you're not fit enough then that's your problem. She obviously doesn't have this problem this year though. ;)

I disagree, and I have a proof that her fitness at that period was questioned. Just a month later she couldn't stand on her feet to finish her match against Peer in Wimbledon and thus lost the match- those 3 setters against Dementieva and Sharapova tool a lot out of her ,then, fragile body.
HELLO??????? In the match against Peer, she was cramping. It has nothing to do with a back injury. If you cramp, you cramp. Get your facts straight and your head together.

DS.Fan.
May 20th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I don't know!:unsure: But I really hope she will win Fo!It's important for her and her fans;) Go Dina:kiss:

LoveFifteen
May 20th, 2009, 03:29 AM
If God is merciful, then NO.

WIMBLY2004
May 20th, 2009, 04:11 AM
With her current form, very likely.

2moretogo
May 20th, 2009, 04:17 AM
She's the clear favorite going in, but she's not going to win. I think she'll go far ala Lena at AO this year vs. Venus AO this year, but she'll lose.

Brooks.
May 20th, 2009, 05:04 AM
only Serena could stop her/she can't win a match/Safina will win/eww

Mattographer
May 20th, 2009, 05:18 AM
When was the last time a player to win Rome and the French Open same year? :o

Kuznetsova has better chance at winning the French Open title than Safina ;)

HotSpot
May 20th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I dont think so

Junex
May 20th, 2009, 07:50 AM
When was the last time a player to win Rome and the French Open same year? :o

Kuznetsova has better chance at winning the French Open title than Safina ;)

Previous years, Rome was played just a week before RG, just a week in between... but this year Rome was a full two weeks away of RG... So maybe the tide will turn around from now on.

If Dinara was not too tired from playing 3 straight finals then she might win Rome (Madrid) & RG in the same Year. The First time a clean sweep at Red Clay Biggies!

but i am crossing my fingers....

Navratil
May 20th, 2009, 12:19 PM
She is the favorit to win. All the others struggle right now.

But somehow I've got the feeling that this years Roland Garros is about shocking defeats!

Galsen
May 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I think it was Serena in 2002

madlove
May 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
she might. i hope so.

bijoux
May 20th, 2009, 01:24 PM
If Dinara doesn’t flake, she could win RG pretty easily. Near the end of Rome and through Madrid she was playing excellent tennis. I think that match against Venus could be viewed as the turning point into greatness if she pulls of RG.

But if she’s serving poorly and her shots aren’t clicking, Dinara is a total mess. An off day and she could be out in any round.

CoolDude7
May 20th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Safina's turning point happened a while ago against Henin. Lol