PDA

View Full Version : Strasbourg: 1r (Q) Monica Niculescu def. (7) Anna-Lena Grönefeld 4:6, 6:2, 6:3

darkangel23
May 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Congrats Moni!!! :worship:
Great win after some slumpy losses...

Anna-Lena doesn't seem to have consistency this year at all!

Davodus
May 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM
terrible from ALG :o

TheBoiledEgg
May 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM
revenge from last week's drubbing

crazillo
May 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Seems like ALG beat herself once again.

So Disrespectful
May 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
She dropped 4 games in their last two meetings combined. Now a loss? :rolleyes:

Shvedbarilescu
May 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Well done Monica :bowdown:

Wow. I gotta say, I wasn't expecting this at all.

Honestly, my main feeling about this match is just relief that it was competitive. The win is simply gravy. There is no getting around it, Monica's results the last few months have been pretty dreadful. And as someone who is a fan, it hasn't been easy.

I'm sure almost all of us have experienced the fustration and helplessness of seeing their favourite slumping badly. Often one doesn't know why. Is it an injury, something happening off court, or just bad form or loss of confidence. It's always hard to know. And the really tough thing is when a slump begins, no matter who the player is and how good they may be at their best, you never really know when (or even if sometimes) the slump will end and the player will get their "a" game back. So when it does end it is a great feeling. I think Groenefeld fans will know what I'm talking about here too.

All I will add to this is just the following...

Thank goodness you are back competing and playing good tennis again, Monica. So glad to have the real Monica back fighting again. :bounce:

SVK
May 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Many very interesting results today...

TheBoiledEgg
May 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM
WTA should have a WTC like men do the week before RG

HAOCHEN-GOAT
May 19th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Well done Monica :bowdown:

Wow. I gotta say, I wasn't expecting this at all.

Honestly, my main feeling about this match is just relief that it was competitive. The win is simply gravy. There is no getting around it, Monica's results the last few months have been pretty dreadful. And as someone who is a fan, it hasn't been easy.

I'm sure almost all of us have experienced the fustration and helplessness of seeing their favourite slumping badly. Often one doesn't know why. Is it an injury, something happening off court, or just bad form or loss of confidence. It's always hard to know. And the really tough thing is when a slump begins, no matter who the player is and how good they may be at their best, you never really know when (or even if sometimes) the slump will end and the player will get they "a" game back. So when it does end it is a great feeling. I think Groenefeld fans will know what I'm talking about here too.

All I will add to this is just the following...

Thank goodness you are back competing and playing good tennis again, Monica. So glad to have the real Monica back fighting again. :bounce:

Well, I watched Monica training session in Madrid and she was playing really well! She was playing points against Alona Bondarenko, and Monica was winning a lot of them. The loss against ALG surprised me (especially the result), but ALG was playing her best in Madrid (lost like 2 games in 2 meetings, and almost beat Petrova... ALG didnt lose her serve in the whole match). Great revenge from Monica :) So happy for her. Hope she can keep going!

Marionated
May 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Wow I was just hoping that Monica could make it respectable :bolt:

Dave.
May 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
What a pleasent surprise to come home to :bounce:

Monica :rocker2: Did not give her any chance in this match, SO glad she proved otherwise. Keep going Mon :worship:

Don't know what's been up recently but I hope this is a sign it's over.

Elisse
May 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Go Monica!!!! :bounce:

Keadz
May 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Fantastic win for Mon, wasn't expecting that. Went to bed after the first set thinking the match was over, glad she proved me wrong.

3 matches in a row is good. She finally got some decent match practice going into the French as well, hope she can keep it going...but hope she doesn't tire herself out.

Zojirushi
May 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Anna-Lena:o