Ballbasher
May 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM
:D So glad to have her back!
Great fight coming back from 1-*3! :worship:
9th MP! :eek:

Keegan
May 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Finally!
Overall a decent comeback match from Maria. Tathiana played some good points as well. Unfortunately, Maria couldn't close it out as quickly as I'd hoped.

s_j
May 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
She should have won with a 6-1 6-2 victory, but she's back on court, playing well and winning, which is the important thing! Despite the DFs, her new serve impressed me and her groundstrokes were very solid with some thumping winners. Even though she had the blip, she fought back. She could have easily lost the match, but she loves the competition. After a few more matches under her belt, she'll get more confident and get right back to the top. Also, I thought she played very well considering it was on clay too!

Mashabator
Yay maria!!!!
but she had 6-1 4-0
then 6-1 5-3 40-0
But she did it!
Welcome back :inlove:

Dawson.
at least she got the win :lol: welcome back maria :yeah:

TheBoiledEgg
good comeback Masha :kiss: :D
she made a meal of things
9th MP :eek:

so good to see her playing again

a Q or LL next

M-K
PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!! Had me nervous there!!!!!!!!!

So good to see her back!! :D

Her game is perfection!!

Win the tournament now! :D

Mikey.
Finally :sobbing:

Go Maria :inlove:

Eugenia
May 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Masha :bounce: She's back! :banana:

SVK
She led 6:1, 5:3 40:0 i think

One of the biggest chokefest ever

Tax:hug:

Ciarįn
Horrible choke. But she is through :worship:

darkangel5452
come on

:hearts::hearts::hearts::heart:bounce::bounce::bou nce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Boy, i was really starting to get nervous at 1-3 down :eek:.

Congrats go out to Masha. A wins a win at this point in her comeback! ;):bounce:

darkangel5452
come on

joćo.
Yay! Today I've already watched Chokerova, Fighterova, 3-sets-ova, Gorgeousova and Winnerova. :hearts: :worship:

dybbuk
At least her ability to choke on a claycourt is still intact after a year out. :hearts:

But, seriously, davai Masha. :woohoo:

Craig.
She won :shrug: :lol:

Welcome back, babe!

Renalicious
Interesting match. :P WD.

Steff_forever
it's good to see her back on court

w/d Masha ! :worship:

Хлоэ
its better to forget the 2nd set from 5-2 up :o

welcome, back, baby girl :inlove:

FoxyliciousKhat
Welcome back, Maria!!!!

Nice comeback after the second set mess, but this will get better as she plays more.

Outfit was :help:

Foxy

alwayshingis
Certainly should have closed it in two, but the added play can only help her. After 1-3 down in the third she played extremely well.

The serve :scared:

Vincey!
May 18th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Awww she was amazing in the last 5 games :hearts:...and nobody can call her a brainless ballbasher now :lol:..I've never seen so many drop shots, lobs and slice from her !

RR-87
:banana: :yeah:

Adal
Jesus Christ. 9th MP was the lucky one :hearts:

slamchamp
a win is a win nowadays! masha you should have won 6-1 6-3 :lol:

Хлоэ
She led 6:1, 5:3 40:0 i think

One of the biggest chokefest ever

not at all :lol:

CrossCourt~Rally
Certainly should have closed it in two, but the added play can only help her. After 1-3 down in the third she played extremely well.

The serve :scared:

Exaactly, she needs match play more than anything at this point :lol:;)

Dini.
Good to have you back. :kiss:

:rocker2:

Anik
May 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Maria :D

joćo.
Comebackpova :worship:

Sexysova
well done :D :woohoo:

up & down as expected..

but poor serve.. hopefully it will be improved soon :D

what a choke in the second set :help: :tape: but I know Maria was nervous.. but she finally did it on mp #9 :lol:

WTF was Garbin doing in the first half of the match? :weirdo: :haha: and her grunts :spit:

olivero
Maria was totally in control until she switched her brain off at 4-0 :weirdo:
Good that she managed to get it together :)
Congrats and welcome back

Tax seems very sweet :hug:

LDF
May 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Finally got the job done on her ninth match point :lol:

Obviously the consistency wasn't there today, but you have to expect that on her first singles match in a long while. It was a tad worrying to see her fall apart so markedly in the second set, and honestly in the early stages of the third it looked as if she was on her way to defeat. However, her fight shone through and I actually think she finished fairly strongly.

The service motion resembles the one which she was using back in the latter half of 2007. She wasn't going for too much in terms of pace, which is understandable, but there were far too many doubles throughout the match. Again, as it's so early in her comeback, I won't focus too much on that, though I'm sure she's going to be targeting that as an aspect to improve in the coming rounds.

Vaidisova Ruled
Maria :worship::worship::worship:
I'm so happy she's back
Please don't turn into a Daniela.
9 Match points, at 1-3 3rd set I thought she would lose.
Her serve is not really good yet, but I like what I saw.

Noctis
People wish they could have 9MP against her :lol:

Congrats Masha Please beat Wozniacki now got your rust off.

Sharpie4me
and people say she's not Russian. Only Russians have the ability to choke like that :o:help:

W!MBLEDON
Yay! Today I've already watched Chokerova, Fighterova, 3-sets-ova, Gorgeousova and Winnerova. :hearts: :worship:

don't forget screamapova :haha:

love you maria

Imperfect Angel
Nice choke and nice comeback, Maria.:haha:

pepaw
So great to see her back. Lets just forget the 2nd set and beginning of 3rd. It was reminiscent of her USO loss to Radwanksa.

What a choker Maria was today.

Her returns were amazing at times and really bad at others. Her net points won and her dropshots were great at the beginning (over 80% of net points won at some point in the 2nd set). She came to net a lot, does anyone have the final number? Should be around 30 something right?

Forehand was better than backhand for most of the match. Second serve sucked but maybe she'll have more confidence in it now.

WIMBLY2004
Well done Maria, what a roller coaster! It's actually good for her to have this kind of match, she had a taste of fighting in a real match finally, and hopefully the choking tendency will leave soon.

Michael!
Tatiana :rolleyes:
wasted chance..

mashamaniac
Welcome back masha! now it's time to move up step by step!!

Rod the Bama
May 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
While i`m glad that Maria won, i also thought that she should`ve won the match in straight sets. Still this was a good test for Maria in her first match back. I think that this will help her in the long run in that she got tested in some tough situations and points out what she needs to work on in practice. So good job Maria and welcome back. :clap2:

Mashabator
wozniacki withdrew...

homogenius
Could have been one of the worst choke ever.Garbin was so bad :o but well done from Maria at the end.

Rumkin
pretty good stuff in the 1st and beginning of the second set, still wasted 8 mp :lol:

good job masha

SVK
well done :D :woohoo:

up & down as expected..

but poor serve.. hopefully it will be improved soon :D

what a choke in the second set :help: :tape: but I know Maria was nervous.. but she finally did it on mp #9 :lol:

WTF was Garbin doing in the first half of the match? :weirdo: :haha: and her grunts :spit:

Yes, I already said, that all Italians grunts are very interesting:lol:

V.Melb
Sharapova connected with her shots at the end, and of course, she was too good.

On a side note, it would be nice if Sharapova showed a bit more respect to her opponent. Garbin walked up to Sharapova smiling with an open hand, Maria shook her hand quickly hardly looking at her.. I'm not one to pick on every slight movement of a player, but it was obvious that Sharapova sees herself as superior to others. It's no wonder most other russian players rather dislike her. She must think that the fans can't see her snobbish behaviour.

joćo.
don't forget screamapova :haha:

love you maria

Doublefaultpova, Errorpova, lmao. :rolleyes:

:bounce:

pepaw
May 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Oh yeah her lobs at the beginning were amazing. And a forehand slice?! :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Glad she won

A long match is good for her, as now she can really assess her recovery time and fitness (both physical and mental)

Marilyn Monheaux
Never in doubt:smoke:
Who's next?:armed:

Mashabator
May 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
we need a mod 2 merge the threads lol

TennisViewer531
Here's the article guys! Read on and share ;) :wavey: :angel:

Good job for MaSha!

darkangel5452
I think she played a great match until 6140, I don't pay attention to the scoreboard, really , she should ahve won 6162, but she did the most difficult part, win the title now.

Adal
Tatiana :rolleyes:
wasted chance..
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/digital_talent/16091qx.gif

youizahoe
well done :D :D :D :D :D

slamchamp
I've never heard of the players she can meet next round:eek:

Taniaaa
May 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
OMG this was just so great:D

I don't care if she wasted 8 MPs I am just happy she's back and winning:inlove:

Masha:worship:

Temperenka
:) :bounce: :banana:

fouc
All in all, it was a pleasure :)

Ballbasher
Next Up:Tvaroskova[LL] or Kustova[LL]
Doable I guess! ;) Hopefully it will be on ES,too :D

Mashabator

On a side note, it would be nice if Sharapova showed a bit more respect to her opponent. Garbin walked up to Sharapova smiling with an open hand, Maria shook her hand quickly hardly looking at her.. I'm not one to pick on every slight movement of a player, but it was obvious that Sharapova sees herself as superior to others. It's no wonder most other russian players rather dislike her. She must think that the fans can't see her snobbish behaviour.

but garbin got a let cord in the latter stages of the Tiebreak and first pumped instead of apologising.

joćo.

Hope so :sobbing:

Rerun

wow, this is a summary :eek:

joćo.
Tathiana also had some lucky shots in decisive moments as well. :rolleyes:

rafa the best
May 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM
VAMOS MARIA!!!!!!!

She was scared of winning and her started double faulting but she did it anyway. She needs her serve confidence back which she will get by winning matches.
So good to see her back, now I will follow WTA again.

Her outfit is beautiful.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Guess who's back :dance:

cs0803
Yay Maria!!! So great to have her back!

olivero
May 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
In her postmatch interview she said she's really happy to be back, she needs some time to get back to the playing mode. About the match she said she lost her focus at the end of the second set and Tax was a little bit lucky too, but she managed to stay focused in the third. She's happy to visit Poland for the first time, to play in front of new fans and she said Poland seems a little bit like Russia to her (very good food) ;)

Kampi
The score is not important, the way you won is not important, but the result is important and most important is, that you are finally back Maria.:bounce::kiss::bounce:

Princeza
Bitch stare :inlove:

slamchamp
May 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM

oh who gives a sh*t ...at least next round seems to be easy:D :bounce:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Her outfit is beautiful.

:spit:

VIKA?
Yay:bounce::banana:

Maria:worship::inlove:

Be careful bitches, Masha is back:armed:

The Dawntreader
Well after missing her 7th and 8th matchpoints with routine forehand returns, i was like:o:lol:

Sharapova still showed she's a great competitor and i suppose that's the best thing for her. After time, the tennis will start to match-up. Her tennis was solid for the first set and a half, but she completely fell off the pace in the second. So frequently hitting DF's and her groundstrokes were just plain abysmal. However, what could we have expected after nearly a year out?

Garbin will probably be dissapointed she didn't capitalise in that third set. She was playing attacking tennis at the end of the second and mid-way through the third, but she just got tentative. Allowed Sharapova to start controlling the baseline rallies again. Considering her age, and lack of form this season though, Garbin is still capable of some fine tennis.

My worry for Sharapova is that service motion. It looks so ungainly. I really can't see her serve improving with such a jerky action.

Bosco123
May 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
:rolleyes:If I was Maria, I would have treated Garbin the same. That Garbin is such a cheater, every-time she had a break point she changed her grunt to a grunt that was actually much louder then Maria's. (I didn't think it was possible). I mean it can't be unintentionally that every time that Garbin was in a down situation , her grunt would change and then when she had the lead again, she went back to her old more quiet grunt. Absolutely disgusting behavior, every one who has a brain would have notice that she simply try to distract her opponent, if you have a grunt it should have the the same sound always. I mean the reason that the WTA allows the grunt is because it's unintentional, in Garbin case it was pure cheating! :rolleyes:

Хлоэ
May 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM

not true.

espntennis
May 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
nice work Maria!

Marionated
May 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Nice fight anyway, Tax :hug:

TheBoiledEgg

hope its Dasha :drool:
been yrs since i seen her

Just Do It
That was kinda ugly.

:yeah:

Sharpie4me
May 18th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Go Masha :sobbing: Please win the next round more comfortably :sobbing::hug:

joćo.
Well after missing her 7th and 8th matchpoints with routine forehand returns, i was like:o:lol:

Sharapova still showed she's a great competitor and i suppose that's the best thing for her. After time, the tennis will start to match-up. Her tennis was solid for the first set and a half, but she completely fell off the pace in the second. So frequently hitting DF's and her groundstrokes were just plain abysmal. However, what could we have expected after nearly a year out?

Garbin will probably be dissapointed she didn't capitalise in that third set. She was playing attacking tennis at the end of the second and mid-way through the third, but she just got tentative. Allowed Sharapova to start controlling the baseline rallies again. Considering her age, and lack of form this season though, Garbin is still capable of some fine tennis.

My worry for Sharapova is that service motion. It looks so ungainly. I really can't see her serve improving with such a jerky action.

I was actually surprised by her % of 1st serves in the first set or something I think :confused: It's kinda strong but works and we can't really take a lot of conclusions on clay, though.

Adri_Silva
Wellcome back, Maria!!!!

Steff_forever
May 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM

sums it up completely...

she needs more confidence that her shoulder works: so more matches, Maria !

best up luck in upcoming rounds :yeah:

slamchamp
May 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
well the 2nd serve is weakk I hope she works on it

Eduardo Oliveira
OMG!!!!MARIA
:hearts: !!!!!

adrovi
:bounce::bounce:

Slutiana
Glad to see her back. :yeah:

And :speakles: at the hand shake comment. Usually she is quite gracious at the net, well when she loses to the WS anyway. :devil:

The Dawntreader
May 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I was actually surprised by her % of 1st serves in the first set or something I think :confused: It's kinda strong but works and we can't really take a lot of conclusions on clay, though.

It just lacks consistent pace. I didn't believe the ES commentators either when they implied she was varying the serve speed out of some tactical use. It's all about preservation to me, and i'm sure it's the one shot she's still worried about.

However, i feel like i'm being petty critiquing someone so early in a comeback:lol:

AnnaK_4ever
May 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
A win is a win.
The most important thing is that Masha was able to finish the match.

TennisViewer531
May 18th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Tathiana was impressive despite the loss. :)

new-york
May 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM
welcome back. :yeah:

mapaliey
love....she's still there....

Adal
Glad to see her back. :yeah:

And :speakles: at the hand shake comment. Usually she is quite gracious at the net, well when she loses to the WS anyway. :devil:
She was really gracious with ex-tennis player Tatiana Golovin too.

*Jool*
May 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM
well done, and welcome back :hatoff:

Tax :hug:

The Dawntreader
May 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM
She was really gracious with ex-tennis player Tatiana Golovin too.

Your claws retractable Adal?:lol:

Marionated
May 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM
She was nice to Tax at the net. She smiled.

WIMBLY2004
May 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The handshake comments are just:bs:

Check the video here, they turn their heads after shaking hands at the same time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlS83lTQjDw

KV
May 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Great to see you back on the tour esp. with a win :bounce:

gmak
May 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
what a torture :o :lol:
but masha's back! :yeah: :woohoo: :D ;) :aparty:

hankqq
May 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I expected a score like this :lol:

How was her movement today?

HRHoliviasmith
May 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
awwwww Tathiana....almost pulled it off. :hug:

P_Fer
May 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Maria! :) Nice fight :woohoo:
Great to have you back :yeah::hearts:

Tatianadove
May 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
:worship:

AnnaK_4ever
May 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I expected a score like this :lol:

How was her movement today?

Not bad but Garbin with her useless groundstrokes barely made Masha move today.

TennisViewer531
May 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
The handshake comments are just:bs:

Check the video here, they turn their heads after shaking hands at the same time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlS83lTQjDw

nice! Thanks for sharing the link :worship:

Beat
May 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
some extra practice .. can't be bad for her.

darkangel23
May 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Welcome back Masha!

tennisIlove09
May 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
YAY! Welcome back Maria! :D

thegreendestiny
:sobbing:
After the match I came to the conclusion that her serve, which is the biggest weapon in her game has deserted her for good.

A win is a win regardless.

NeoZod19
It's great to see her back, and her forehand was awesome but 9 DF worry me. Hope it's not related to her shoulder pain....and just a long absence

volta
May 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Gratz Maria, the tour will be more interesting that's for sure ;)

VAMOS MARIA!!!!!!!

Her outfit is beautiful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Nooj/littlebritian_468x271.jpg
*stop typing*

Temporary0369
May 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
It's funny, people are constantly throwing the term brainless ballbasher around. Today however, Maria was just brainless variety. So many slices, drop shots, and lobs, but for no reason. I think when she started to struggle it's because she stopped constructing points. She usually thinks about points much more even if she is bludgeoning the ball.

Good comeback :). Garbin's grunts are ridiculous. It sounds like she's shouting OUT. When I took my speakers off mute I was like, "uhhh I'm not so sure that ball was out. Wait... why are they still playing? Oh ok that wasn't a line call that was an obnoxious scrub."

SVK
May 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I've never heard of the players she can meet next round:eek:

Yes, they are unknown players, Tvaroskova is 27, and I think this is her first singles MD in career, Kustova is still young (22) and she is better, but it seems, she has a problems with service on this tournament..I hope Tvaroskova will play against Masha...Sharapova will win maybe 6:0, 6:0 but it will be Lenka´s match of the career...

I really want to see her on Eurosport, I´m not sure if Tvaroskova will have another chance to play singles match in WTA MD:awww::sad:

WIMBLY2004
May 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM
nice! Thanks for sharing the link :worship:

It's Sexysova's video, I just copied the link here, credit to him/her.

Topspin2
May 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Maria is back :)

lilimi
May 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
it was the worst match i've seen this year. sharapova's serve is not there, she really didn't look confident with her shoulder. i've expected better stuff from her, but a win is a win, so congrats.

*Jean*
May 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Well done Maria, almost choke!

disco_rage
May 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Well done Maria. Good to have her back.

LudwigDvorak
May 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Delicatecutter is so happy about this, I know. :hearts:

Win the title, Maria!

SVK
May 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
not at all :lol:

Definitely it was chokefest of the YEAR:lol:

lilimi
May 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
It's funny, people are constantly throwing the term brainless ballbasher around. Today however, Maria was just brainless variety. So many slices, drop shots, and lobs, but for no reason.
she is not confident enough to hit the ball as hard as before, so she made slices, "dropshots" and lobs because she's on clay, not because it was in a game plan.

slamchamp
May 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
lol how do u know? you're her coach?

Sammm
May 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
:woohoo:
great for her to comeback with a win.
Did she say anything about the shoulder held up?

allrounder
May 18th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Well done Maria. It really should have been about 6-1 6-2 after the first set and a half where she played like a top 20 player, but then the errors started to creep in and gave Garbin confidence. Still a good win though on her least favourite surface considering its her first game back and i think if she plays like she did up until her first MP's she'l beat Wozniacki if thats who she plays next.

franny
May 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Happy she's back. A win is a win.

But from what I HEAR, I'm a little worried. Especially with the serve. The rest of her game I'm always confident she can get back. But the serve, if she's going back to the old 2007 service motion, then we're in for a lot of trouble. I'm keeping my expectations low though, as I'm just happy to have her back.

Destiny
May 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM
:woohoo: Good on you maria glad you wanna the match

SVK
May 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Well done Maria. It really should have been about 6-1 6-2 after the first set and a half where she played like a top 20 player, but then the errors started to creep in and gave Garbin confidence. Still a good win though on her least favourite surface considering its her first game back and i think if she plays like she did up until her first MP's she'l beat Wozniacki if thats who she plays next.

She will play against Tvaroskova / Kustova

Dodoboy.
May 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Well done Maria Good to have you back!!!

Any points on the net?

-NAJ-
May 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Any points on the net?

20/25 in 1st and 2nd set.
i didn't see stats after

Maria Croft
May 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM
That was pretty solid until she lost her head serving for the match, but she found her game again down in the third.

All in all it was a nice start back, obviously should have been 6-1 6-3 but a win at this point is all that matters, maybe a long match like this will actually help her.

Her serve didn't look that impressive obviously, but she already had some nice angles and a nice first serve % for most of the match.

améliemomo
May 18th, 2009, 05:36 PM
it was the worst match i've seen this year. sharapova's serve is not there, she really didn't look confident with her shoulder. i've expected better stuff from her, but a win is a win, so congrats.

NEVER easy to come back after such a long time without playing and especially without WINNING.
I think sharapova did great even if she could have close it in 2.She needed to win and she did it.
I like the way she tried different things during the match, showing more variety and she appeared to me more "interesting"

lilimi
May 18th, 2009, 05:37 PM
it's just she delayed her come back so many times that i thought she would be better.

GracefulVenus
May 18th, 2009, 05:41 PM
welcome back Maria :wavey:

WIMBLY2004
May 18th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Her serve didn't look that impressive obviously, but she already had some nice angles and a nice first serve % for most of the match.

I thought the same thing, her service placement was pretty good, just not sure about the speed, looked quite slow, maybe because it's on clay?

MisterMan
May 18th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Certainly not a promising comeback. Of course a win is a win but it never should have/would have gotten this close. And Maria NOT being able to close out a match ??

There's a lot of work to be done. Welcome back - PLEASE come back and save the Tour :worship:

franny
May 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM
it's just she delayed her come back so many times that i thought she would be better.

That's not how it works. She delayed her comeback not because she expected to be better per se, but because she wanted to be 100% healthy. You can't get better by just being off the court. You need match-play no matter what. You can't expect someone to be out of the game for 9 months and come back and play perfectly well. There is of course going to be hiccups, and of course going to be struggles. Even the Williams Sisters, when they come back after a long break, start off a little rough in their first few matches. But they play into form, and that's what Sharapova will likely do. The only problematic thing is with her serve - if she's using some old motion that she used when injured, then does that indicate that she may still be struggling with the shoulder injury? If so, then that's not good for her, and she needs to reassess whether she should be back. But if she's 100% healthy, then its just great she's getting matches under her belt. She'll be sloppy at first, sure, but she'll play into form. That's how it works. It's not the longer you take off, the better you look when you first come back. That's NOT how it works.

Direwolf
May 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM
great comeback!

and OMGosh!!

she is finally back
and active again!!

Body Language ~
May 18th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Are you guys kidding me? SHE HASN'T PLAYED A MATCH IN A YEAR. It's an incredible feat that she even WON the match! She's gonna improve tons in the coming weeks and will get back to where she needs to be. Back off guys. Of course shes not gonna come back and be her old normal self after not playing for exactly 10 months.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Good to see her back :yeah:

Lefty.
May 18th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Should have been 6-1, 6-3, but currently it's just amazing to have her back. :D Hopefully she can clean up her game in her next match.

NoChokes
May 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Dunno what anyone saw regarding the handshake. Seemed like routine WTA effort to me.

Were people expecting her to slip her the tongue or something?

number33
May 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Garbin's grunts are ridiculous. It sounds like she's shouting OUT. When I took my speakers off mute I was like, "uhhh I'm not so sure that ball was out. Wait... why are they still playing? Oh ok that wasn't a line call that was an obnoxious scrub."

That's exactly what i was thinking! and she got me fooled more than once :lol::help:

I was pretty nervous watching the whole match, i think i held my breath from the 1st MP 'till the last one, so glad i'm still alive :lol:

So happy that Masha won, it's gonna help build her confidence, i hope she keeps getting better, esp. on her serve (the number of DFs :tape:)
Good luck, Masha! :)

Cakeisgood
May 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I wish the match was prettier, but at least you're back :sobbing: I've missed you so Maria.

lilimi
May 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
That's not how it works. She delayed her comeback not because she expected to be better per se, but because she wanted to be 100% healthy.

i'm the first to say you can't be out of the tour for months and be on top immediately. I just thought, as she announced her comeback several times before, that she would come back better :shrug: but it seems, as you say, that for the moment, she's just enjoying being healthy on court.

kinseh
May 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
So good to have her back. :hearts:

I was very impressed with Maria. It looks like a promising comeback! It was a huge choke in the second set, but her lack of match play definitely had something to do with her inability to close out today. Great fight in the third set! :worship: Really happy to have her back.

That dress, though... :help:

doujyr
May 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Thoroughly satisfying comeback imo. A bit harsh people mentioning the 9 mp's. Think she's entitled to be a bit rusty, no?

This is now the more nervous part, waiting for news of how the shoulder reacted to match stress, and quite a long match too.

daniela86
May 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Yayyyyyy! :rocker: :bounce: :crazy: :crazy: I never thought she would be able to win 5 games in a row and come back in the match :yeah: Congrats for the nice fight :yeah: and good luck in the next round :D :D Her matches are often full of drama,that's one of the reasons why I like seeing her play so much :hearts:

Svetlana.
May 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm glad Maria won the match, but she made it look more competitive than it actually was... those double faults during the first match points :eek:

furrykitten
May 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Great to have Maria back :)

SAEKeithSerena
May 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
a win is a win. good to have her back on the court again.

ajmo!
May 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
congrats masha. :bounce:
it's so great to have her back. :inlove:

supergrunt
May 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
that's a pretty outfit :)

supergrunt
oh sorry, what I meant to say is that outfit is pretty ugly :)

alfonsojose
Nine months out, after a serious injury wich affects serve, on the surface that tests your movement the most and you like the least .... Masha :bowdown: Some people need to chill out. so glad to see u back. I love to wacth her playing on clay 'coz she fights even harder :kiss:

alfonsojose
May 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM
oh sorry, what I meant to say that outfit is pretty ugly :)

I agree. I guess she went for a low profile thing. She looked like Hantuchova with that ugly green/yellow skirt :help: But even with pants, She's back :rolls: :yeah:

Joe.
May 18th, 2009, 06:40 PM
well done masha:)
its a good win even though when i stopped watching eurosport u were 61 52 up:lol:
but it is her first match in 9 months so she is going to struggle closing out matches;)
im definetly not a fan of her new abreviated serve though:p

Joe.
May 18th, 2009, 06:41 PM
oh sorry, what I meant to say that outfit is pretty ugly :)

are you crazy??:p
i think its a really great outfit:drool:

slamchamp
May 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
she had no other choice than changing her serve, she was def gonna reinjure it again with her old serve

nelsondan
May 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I had two different trains of thought about this question---how does Maria look in terms of fitness for playing tennis? First two are from practice a couple days ago, last one is from today's match. It has to do with ability to move quickly and having endurance for long matches. It is probably all in my imagination.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1702/sharapova27.jpg

http://www.legialive.pl/zdjecia/09tenis_szarapowa1_d.jpg[/

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2236/sharapova21.jpg

simonsaystennis
May 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah Maria!! So good to have her back!! :)

slamchamp
May 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
her legs are soo long!

CloudAtlas
May 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Congrats Maria :D

Sharapowerr
May 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
About the chokes.. i't s understandible , she didn't play singles for allmost a year.. so there is pressure.. and i didn't see the match , Eurosport is showing only from the QF , where did you all got to see it.?

SVK
May 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Eurosport transmited it:unsure:

Expat
May 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I thought it was a good outfit :shrug:

sweetpeas
May 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Her game is perfection!!

Really?

Emina.
May 18th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Mariiiaaaa :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

pepaw
May 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Some of her forehands were beautiful today :drool:

cn ireland
May 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Fantastic to have Maria back and winning again:banana:!

hurricanejeanne
May 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
She's back! I'm happy she had a rough opener, test out the shoulder and her nerves right off the bat.
God, it's so nice to see her back!

Viva La Pova! :banana:

faboozadoo15
May 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Great job Maria! Less choking next time. :lol:
A bit hard to believe she was up 6-1 4-0.

Win the title.

Nikkiri
May 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Well done Maria :)

Her outfit is badddd. :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
May 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Very promising start from Maria. And she does have the easiest possible 2nd round. So at the very worst Maria will have gotten three matches in this week. Assuming Maria gets to the quarters and her shoulder holds up alright this will have been a very successful start of her. Anything additional will simply be added icing on the cake.

Still much to earlier to assume she will be able to eventually regain the level she showed before the injury but likewise there is certainly no clear indication that she won't be able to either. She did play some pretty cool shots today though I must say. But I still think it will take some time before we really know what level Maria will get back to. Early indications though are mostly good.

slamchamp
May 18th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I loved maria's split:hearts:

Paneru
May 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Nice to have her back. :cool:

Lose that skirt! :o

Noctis
May 18th, 2009, 07:54 PM
the dress was nice,ppl stop being zealous :ras:

Europe rocks
May 18th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Poor Tax, so near, yet so far. Good to see you give Masha a workout though ;)

TennisMindCamp
May 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Great first match back! Just keep it going Maria!

Daniel
May 18th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Well done :)

jdog3008
May 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Maria :hearts:

Stupid choke, but I'll take it.

If you don't win your next match easily though :help:

Harju.
May 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Welcome back, Maria :inlove:

Mikey B
May 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM
welcome back to the tour maria!!! woudnt have been right if she won it easily on clay!!!! she needed a little drama to remind her what she's up against... so great to have her back!!!

@danieln1
May 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Surviving Sharapova!!!!! I stopped watching at 3-1 Garbin because I had to go to work, but I was never in doubt that Maria was gonna pull this off, and she did, I“m very happy for her!!!!

Honestly, this match was in her hands, thankfully she didn“t throw it away!

I don“t know about that outfit, I really don“t...

CooCooCachoo
May 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Tax :sobbing:

Welcome back, Maria. Good to see the injury problems are over. Now lose :p

Andy.
May 18th, 2009, 09:37 PM
YAY the first steps in her comeback are over. There were always going to be some lapses in her game and concentration Im just happy to see her back and off to a winning start.

Kitten63
May 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Welcome back and well done Masha!:bounce:

4tennis
May 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
did anybody look match? she almost lose from Garbin which is currently on 68 place. Sharapova don't show anything!!! First top 10 player will send Sharapova home

drgray
May 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM
woot wooot!! welcome back Masha! and of course she looked fabuloso..

Temporary0369
May 18th, 2009, 09:56 PM
did anybody look match? she almost lose from Garbin which is currently on 68 place. Sharapova don't show anything!!! First top 10 player will send Sharapova home

Maria is currently 128 :). Beating someone ranked twice as high as her is pretty good ;).

Also, luckily for her there are no top 10 players in the draw so I guess by your logic Sharapova won't be going home? Sweeeet.

Temperenka
May 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM
This is great! Maria is back, Maria wins, and the Maria haters are back... ahh life is good! :cool:

So glad to just see her with a tennis racket in hand again. :drool:

drake3781
May 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I truly wasn't sure that we would see her return.

Was Camilla there?

MaBaker
May 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
:)

mdterp01
May 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
YES!!!! MARIA IS BACK!!! Thank goodnesss another grand slam champion is in the mix. These pretenders are getting on my nerves!!!

rucolo
May 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Welcome back, Maria!!!:hatoff::woohoo::D;)

Maria started with a forehand longline return winner.:drool:
Great play until 6-1 5-3 (40-0)!:yeah:
From then until 6-1 6-7 1-3 horrible!:help:
From then until 6-1 6-7 6-3 amazing, aggressive again!:yeah:
What a fighter!!!

I almost got a heart attack because of your choking, Maria!:sobbing::lol:

I`m very proud of you, Maria!:hug:

So happy to have you back!!!:kiss:

LightWarrior
May 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I agree. I guess she went for a low profile thing. She looked like Hantuchova with that ugly green/yellow skirt :help:

It's not low profile, it's plain ugly and outdated and in poor taste. She should ask Venus for clothing advice.

Corswandt
May 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Sharapova in 2 I said. And it nearly was.

Compare the "advice" Michael Joyce gave today with the mini treatises on tennis Krajan recites to Safina. :help: And if Yuri isn't a tightwad he's making what, 4 times as much as Krajan? No justice in this world.

I may post some more stuff tomorrow if I have time to waste in the morning.

nelsondan
May 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM
It's not low profile, it's plain ugly and outdated and in poor taste. She should ask Venus for clothing advice.

I just hate it when she jumps up and the sun shines through revealing the outline of where her long, beautiful legs....I guess "hate it" is not quite the right phrase.

http://i43.tinypic.com/5tuec1.jpg

the cat
May 18th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Well done to Maria on her comeback win over Garbin. I hope Masha's problematic right shoulder is up to the task of tour tennis again.

Привет
May 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Well done, Masha. So great to have you back. I knew this match wouldn't be easy, but good on you for fighting it out. Keep grinding until you find top form again! :yeah:

Golovinjured.
May 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Her skin has cleared up nicely.

Poova
May 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
:scared:

Well done Maria aka Saviour of the WTA :hearts:

cogent53
May 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Great to have someone of Maria's class back on the tour, but that problem shoulder needs to be taken care of carefully. It's given her trouble for some years now on and off. Fingers crossed she can return to her best. The tour could do with it in a big way.

Sharapova's_Boy
May 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Welcome back Maria. :worship:

cypher_88
May 19th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Her skin has cleared up nicely.

yup, that's what I noticed as well. :p

anyway, well done Masha :bounce:, it's good to finally have you back.

Dan23
May 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM
More than a bit scratchy but no complaints here :cool: pretty happy with most areas of her game for a return match

H.A.M.
May 19th, 2009, 12:55 AM

Yeah right. :spit:

madlove
May 19th, 2009, 01:24 AM
she's lucky to have gotten through

Boomguy
May 19th, 2009, 01:32 AM
great match for Maria. Her shoulder isn't fully recovered yet. She could be in doubt of the french open

Pops Maellard
May 19th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Mighty Masha! :worship:

In danger of choking it away though. I stopped watching the scoreboard when Garbin was 2-0 up in the third set. I couldn't watch anymore. :scared:

felipe2004
May 19th, 2009, 01:37 AM
:) Nice to see her back.

V-MAC
May 19th, 2009, 01:38 AM
welcome back Maria:bounce:

Pops Maellard
May 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
And her next opponent will be an absolute nobody so she should beat them handily, and then she'll face maybe face Domachowska or A. Bondarenko

zvonarevarulz
May 19th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Masha:hearts:

AnomyBC
May 19th, 2009, 03:42 AM
AWESOME!!! :woohoo:

And guess what? She's actually undefeated for the year so far :)

Just 11 more matches and she wins the French Open :)

Roookie
May 19th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Masha's outfit :spit:...but overall great to see her back.

monmonito
May 19th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I thought she's going to win in 2 sets..I left the livescore 6-1, 4-1...so I thought she's going to win easily..hehehe...

Good thing she won...

Her outfit is fine with me...its just new to your eyes..

Alex72
May 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Welcome back Siren! :banana:

Andy.
May 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I always think its better that people hate your outfit rather than not talk about it at all. Its really not as bad as some would like to believe IMO and cenrtainly much better than that Tie Die mess Venus has been wearing. I think the fact that she had to fight for the win was almost better than winning it in a canter because she really had to use her resolve and fight and bring out vintage Masha. She will no doubt get better at finishing matches with each tournament she plays. There were definatly some encouraging signs from this first match.

serenus_2k8
May 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I liked Marias outfit, but prefer Rees. Venus dress is apparantly beautiful in the flesh, but on TV its just not my thing :o

Corswandt
May 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I may post some more stuff tomorrow if I have time to waste in the morning.

I missed Sharapova and her left-handed scooped up FH :hearts: , but her claycourt early round horror shows/choke jobs I really didn't miss all that much.

Remarkable that Sharapova shows up after a break of almost a year more or less where we left her. I.e. this was standard issue mid 2008 bad Masha, rather than a particularly inept performance due to the long break.

I don't despise Garbin the way some other people in here (whose opinions I respect) do; on clay, she could actually be fun to watch when she was given the opportunity to play her old skool game. But it's undeniable that Sharapova was given the near ideal opponent for her first match: way past her prime (which was never that good anyway), slumping, without the baseline firepower that would really test Sharapova's movement and reflexes (no conclusions can be drawn from this match on that regard), couldn't return aggressively.

1st set was interesting in that Sharapova was really going for her FH, hitting it with confidence, authority and often awesome power, while her BH she hit mostly mid-paced and with a lot of topspin. Still, as the match went on Sharapova began going for her BH as well (huge DTL winners), and there were patches of magnificent hitting+flashy winners; with all the h8t0rz complaining of The Cruel Shriekapova's bad technique and awful looking strokes, it's easy to forget what an excellent natural ballstriker she is.

The best aspect of the match was probably Sharapova's commendable effort not only to dictate but to actually construct points (save for the dismal early 3rd set). But even before the *DRAMA*, she was making too many errors and overdoing the cute stuff. It's not her game and it looks awkward. Also, bullshitting her way to the net the way she so often did might have worked against Garbin, but against players with better groundstrokes, it can be suicidal. Footwork was often poor - hit too many shots off balance.

Sharapova is one of the most consistently aggressive returners in the game, and up until the *DRAMA* her return game was looking good enough to suggest that, against lousy serving scrubs, she'll get the breaks she needs to survive, and can be expected to clear say a couple of rounds at RG if she gets a cushy draw. But once she lost her focus, she surrendered whole return games with ROS errors.

The *DRAMA* was a consequence of her intensity and narrow focus that sometimes lead her to play point-by-point rather than concentrating on closing out sets/matches. And of having no 2nd serve. Something she needs to work on fast, or aggressive returners (even lower ranked ones) will have her for breakfast. Even the 1st serve is a hybrid between the pre-SuperMasha serve (pace over placement) and the 2008 RG serve (spin over pace); won her next to no free points, went on and off without warning. Good to see that, for all the visible minor twitches, we haven't quite lost the most majestic service motion in the game though.

Early 3rd set was Sharapova's nadir. Confidence in shambles, afraid to go for her shots and actually letting Garbin boss her around. Garbin was emboldened by this, and played some of her least bad tennis of the day. Sharapova's return game was still there though, and it helped her stay afloat until that service game in which she held to love, and she was in control after that.

Matt01
May 19th, 2009, 12:48 PM
AWESOME!!! :woohoo:

And guess what? She's actually undefeated for the year so far :)

She lost in the first round in Indian Wells :p

Sharapowerr
May 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
That was doubles...