PDA

View Full Version : Who is a Dark Horse at the French?

DefyingGravity
May 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I would say Lucie Safarova (former 4R), Nicole Vaidisova (former SF), Aravane Rezai (former 4R), Maria Sharapova (obvious reasons), Jie Zheng (former 4R) and Carla Suarez Navarro (defending QF).

Mauresmo, Szavay, Schnyder are also so so dangerous. Who else?

serenus_2k8
May 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Mauresmo if she pulls herself together, Madrid is proof of what damage she can do. Maria isnt really a dark horse in my eyes. I guess to be a true Dark Horse, you would have to be totally not expected to win but very capable on the surface.

LDF
May 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Vaidisova, a dark house? Yes, she had a great a few years back, but considering her recent form, I'd be surprised if she got past R1/2 :unsure:

homogenius
May 18th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Maria ?

Orbis
May 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Steffi Graf.

DefyingGravity
May 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hey, I defend my Vaidisova and Sharapova claim as a dark horse. We don't know when Vaidisova might decide she actually wants to play tennis and put her heart into it. She has a semi and a quarterfinal to her name. As for Sharapova, she's been to the 4R at least since 2004. She may not be able to win the French, but she's more than capable of doing damage on clay, evident in her semifinal and quarterfinal x 2

Jose.
May 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Lisicki

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
The woman who is on a 4 match losing streak and has yet to win a match on clay this season.

TennisViewer531
May 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Dark Horse? Szavay!

Adrian1092
May 18th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Lisicki
Errani :rolls:

Beat
May 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I would say Lucie Safarova (former 4R), Nicole Vaidisova (former SF), Aravane Rezai (former 4R), Maria Sharapova (obvious reasons), Jie Zheng (former 4R) and Carla Suarez Navarro (defending QF).

Mauresmo, Szavay, Schnyder are also so so dangerous. Who else?

:haha:

i agree with the latter three, though.

DefyingGravity
May 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I honestly feel Vaidisova can ignite her game and she could be a threat, like she did last year at Wimbledon.

NicoMary
May 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
niculescu?

Bosco123
May 18th, 2009, 05:52 PM
suarez navvaro and Lisicky

alwayshingis
May 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Vaidisova, a dark house?

Yeah, I think she is a dark house. The lights are off and no one's home.

Direwolf
May 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Seriously...
how could you call a
multislam Champion
a dark horse??

woosey
May 18th, 2009, 05:57 PM
those two black girls - venus and serena.

Volcana
May 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Venus.

Given that any ex-champ isn't a 'dark horse', and that nobody with a really good red clay record in the last three years isn't a 'dark horse'.

SAEKeithSerena
May 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Sharapova.

alfonsojose
May 18th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Larcher De Brito

AnnaK_4ever
May 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I honestly feel Vaidisova can ignite her game and she could be a threat, like she did last year at Wimbledon.

She was not a threat at Wimbledon. She only beat slumping Chakvetadze who was a poor grasscourter anyway.

The Dawntreader
May 18th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Zheng's groundstrokes can still do some damage on clay, but her lack of a serve is exposed the most on this surface. You saw that against Safina in Rome- she couldn't get any cheap points on serve. Not that her serve is that potent anyway, but on grass and hardcourts, she can rely on placement and precision. Clay just takes away that aspect.

Szavay is the best choice of the 'dark horse' label.

CloudAtlas
May 18th, 2009, 07:45 PM
If she's playing fully fit then Zvonareva.

Tennisstar86
May 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I'd say Venus too...

Venus and Zvonereva are my Dark horses...

Zvonereva cause she was playing well before INjury and we dont know what shes doing...

Venus cause given her record in Paris she cant be a favorite... She just had a suspect loss, but She has shown she can be dangerous on clay....

Serena is not a dark horse, she already won the title before...

Aravanecaravan
May 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Vaidisova, a dark house? Yes, she had a great a few years back, but considering her recent form, I'd be surprised if she got past R1/2 :unsure:

The way she's been playing, I'd be surprised if Vaidisova got past round one-half too, unfortunately....;)

Aravane could pull some surprises. She's been playing great. Tamira Paszek, if she is healthy, will surprise some folks.

Temperenka
May 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Serena, Venus, Zvonareva, etc. are not dark horses, THEY ARE IN THE TOP 5!!!! They are seeded to make the quarterfinals/semifinals/finals/whatever. Dark-horses tend to be outside the top 10.

That said... Sharapova, Vaidisova, Lisicki, Makarova, Wickmayer, Rezai, Schiavone, Sanchez, Dulko, and Safarova could all surprise.

Tennisstar86
May 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Serena, Venus, Zvonareva, etc. are not dark horses, THEY ARE IN THE TOP 5!!!! They are seeded to make the quarterfinals/semifinals/finals/whatever. Dark-horses tend to be outside the top 10.

That said... Sharapova, Vaidisova, Lisicki, Makarova, Wickmayer, Rezai, Schiavone, Sanchez, Dulko, and Safarova could all surprise.

to me a dark horse is someone who could win, but is not expected to. The girls you named dont have a change IMO except maybe Sharapova....

Venus is a dark horse cause she is Unpredictable....
Zvonereva hasnt played tennis in awhile from injury...

Temperenka
May 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
to me a dark horse is someone who could win, but is not expected to. The girls you named dont have a change IMO except maybe Sharapova....

Venus is a dark horse cause she is Unpredictable....
Zvonereva hasnt played tennis in awhile from injury...

I guess our definitions of "dark horses" are different. I don't necessarily think they need to win, just cause upsets and make a deep push unexpectedly. I would not be surprised to see Vera or Venus in the semis; unpredictable, injured, or not.

Shvedbarilescu
May 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
niculescu?

I love Monica but her form of late has been dreadful. I will be delighted if she wins one match. Hopefully Monica will recover her form on the grass and maybe she can be a dark horse there, on her best surface, but not at RG I'm afraid, certainly not this year anyway.

Ryan
May 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
It all depends on what you define as a "dark horse". I don't think anyone in the top 5, or 10 really, is a darkhorse in my book. Venus is definitely underrated in her chances to do well here, but the #3 player in the world just doesn't quality as a darkhorse to me. :o

My picks: Petrova, Pennetta, AMG and Lisicki.

goldenlox
May 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Anyone have the FO betting odds? Dark Horse should be at least 20-1

Shvedbarilescu
May 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Like others, I'm not going to include any top 10 players on my list. There are more players ranked in the top 10 who look like potential upset victims than they are who look capable of causing an upset anyway. I will say that like some others I do think Venus Williams has a shot at having a pretty good tournament although I doubt she will win it but I wouldn't call her a dark horse.

So this is my list of players who I would say are playing substantially better than their ranking right now, who are also known to be good on clay and who I consider to have a decent shot at creating one or two upsets with the right draw....Pennetta, Zheng, Mauresmo, Schynder, Medina-Garrigues, Suarez-Navarro, Li, Schiavone, Martinez-Sanchez, Makarova, A. Bondarenko, Dulko, Vesnina, Groenefeld, Vinci, Peer, Czink and Rezai. The only reason I don't include Lisicki on this list is because of fitness concerns. I would also add Cornet and Cibulkova to this list if their form wasn't so dreadful and in both cases I really do worry about their health as well.

Escape
May 18th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Anyone have the FO betting odds? Dark Horse should be at least 20-1

Here are the odds from William Hill :)

Dinara Safina 7/2
Jelena Jankovic 7/1
Svetlana Kuznetsova 7/1
Serena Williams 7/1
Ana Ivanovic 10/1
Elena Dementieva 10/1
Venus Williams 12/1
Vera Zvonareva 12/1
Victoria Azarenka 14/1
Caroline Wozniacki 20/1
Sabine Lisicki 20/1
Amelie Mauresmo 25/1
Carla Suarez Navarro 25/1
Maria Sharapova 33/1
Alize Cornet 33/1
Agnieska Radwanska 33/1
Patty Schnyder 50/1
Flavia Pennetta 50/1
Dominika Cibulkova 50/1
Nadia Petrova 66/1
Marion Bartoli 66/1
Alisa Kleybanova 100/1
Nicole Vaidisova 100/1
Anna Chakvetadze 100/1

Slutiana
May 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM
They finally stopped putting odds for Tati. :sobbing:

Shvedbarilescu
May 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
They finally stopped putting odds for Tati. :sobbing:

I'm sure if you really really want to bet on Tati to win this year's Roland Garros if you look hard enough you will find a bookmaker who is unscrupulous enough to take your money. ;)

goldenlox
May 18th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Vera at 12-1 is crazy. Maybe 1200-1.
Sveta is too low also

Slutiana
May 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I'm sure if you really really want to bet on Tati to win this year's Roland Garros if you look hard enough you will find a bookmaker who is unscrupulous enough to take your money. ;)
:tears: Its fine, i'll take my money to wimbledon - first unranked player ever to win a GS. :inlove: 4239084213098/1

LUVMIRZA
May 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Camille Pin :crazy:

goldenlox
May 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
At those odds, these are the 3 live longshots, but I don't think any of them will it all

Amelie Mauresmo 25/1
Carla Suarez Navarro 25/1
Maria Sharapova 33/1

mauresmofan
May 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
To be honest whoever wins it will be a surprise because there really are NO FAVOURITES

mauresmofan
May 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Is Zvonereva still entered - surely she has no chance of playing!

Pops Maellard
May 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva. The dark-horse who will win RG. :worship:

Boomguy
May 19th, 2009, 01:41 AM
To be honest whoever wins it will be a surprise because there really are NO FAVOURITES

no favourites? as if Safina is the heavy heavy favourite. 3 Finals in a rows within 3 weeks shes extremely fit and shes full of confidence.

Amelie Mauresmo will be the biggest dark horse i reckon

Buitenzorg
May 19th, 2009, 01:50 AM
* Suarez Navarro [but then again, based on her clay court performances...pooor!]

* Mauresmo
* Schnyder
* Rezai
* Zheng
* Hantuchova
* Li

TheFifthAvocado
May 19th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Szavay and Chakvetadze. I'm convinced one of those two will make the finals.

Temperenka
May 19th, 2009, 02:36 AM
* Suarez Navarro [but then again, based on her clay court performances...pooor!]

* Mauresmo
* Schnyder
* Rezai
* Zheng
* Hantuchova
* Li

Good list. The only one I disagree with is Hantuchova. Despite slowly regaining good form, her success at Roland Garros will be dependent on her draw. She will win her matches until she encounters a solid seed, where she will be beat 6-4, 6-2. The scary thing for her is that could be first round, or with luck and a lot of upsets, somewhere in the second week.

jack21
May 19th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I think that stosur may be a bit of a dark horse (yes i am bias). Im not saying that she will win, i wouldn't even be that suprised to see her out in the first round but i think that she has the potential to shock a few of the faves on a good day (if she doesnt choke and that is a big if).

nashi
May 19th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Zheng is good at clay
I must say Aisans..........

brent-o
May 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I'd say the Woz is the dark horse.

Sapphisto
May 19th, 2009, 07:41 AM
The woman who is on a 4 match losing streak and has yet to win a match on clay this season.

OK, we don't always agree. but dayyum, you made me laugh with this! :worship:

Yeah, I think she is a dark house. The lights are off and no one's home.

Ditto the LOL part. :worship:

I'd say the Woz is the dark horse.

Hey, someone likes "the Woz" as a nickname besides me! I figured we have The Kuze, why not The Woz? :bounce: She's the very blondest of dark horses, though! :p:lol:

Amalgamate
May 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Szavay and Chakvetadze. I'm convinced one of those two will make the finals.

:spit: :smash:

Blue-Eyed Soul
May 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Caro is a darkhorse for the qtrs or semi's. How's that? ;)

hellas719
May 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Lisicki, Cirstea, or Szavay:D

austennis
May 20th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Nicole..maybe but only mayb
Patty, Amelie, Sabine and Jelena Dokic are all potential qf/sf darkhorses for me

Six Feet Under
May 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
why hasn;t anyone said Bartoli yet?