May 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Who do you think would fit this role.
Are any of the girls Santoroesque.

Some that may fit the role

Bartoli - very angle based 2 hands
Niculescu and Voracova - hit a variety of shots

or maybe someone like

Radwanska or Hingis - who are very strategic

Who do you think, if anyone, could be called the magician of women's tennis?

thegreendestiny
May 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Santoro is the Hingis of ATP.

Dani12
May 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hnigis, but of the current girls I'd say closest would be Radwanska. When her game is on her drop shots, lops, angles are amazing. I love when she drop shots an opponent bringing them to the net and then lobbing them, and running them side to side.

Can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Harvs
May 18th, 2009, 11:44 AM
noone comes close to what santoro can do on the mens tour.

Marionated
May 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Patty, of course.

barmaid
May 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hingis of course! :worship:Nobody made a player more helpless, stupid or befuddled by her magical shots!:lol::bounce::hearts::kiss:

Barmaid:wavey:

frenchie
May 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Niculescu definitely is the closest

then Schnyder and Radwanska

RenaSlam.
May 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hingis of course! :worship:Nobody made a player more helpless, stupid or befuddled by her magical shots!:lol::bounce::hearts::kiss:

Barmaid:wavey:

Cocaine.:bounce:

Golovinjured.
May 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM

:drool:

Marionated
May 18th, 2009, 01:09 PM
:weirdo:

volta
May 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDn6jPJu5V4&feature=related

:banana: :rocker2:

thegreendestiny
May 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM

She's innocent! :sobbing:

germex
May 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Conchita Martinez used to be, I think. Now as it has already said here Radwanska, Schnyder and probably Anna Chak.

mauresmofan
May 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Patty no one else even comes close.

rockstar
May 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
why is bartoli on the list?! she doesnt play anything like santoro other than using two hands

sammy01
May 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
eeeeek at the thread starter trying to label bartoli anything other than a ball basher, thats as delusional as it gets lol

LegionArgentina
May 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
You must be joking when you wrote Marion,dont you?

Patty and Martina :)

Lunaris
May 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Martinez-Sanchez showed a lot of magic in Rome.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
May 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Gaudio and Rios are magiciens . Santoro is a pusher clown with no grounstrokes

Shvedbarilescu
May 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Gaudio and Rios are magiciens . Santoro is a pusher clown with no grounstrokes

I would worry if TennisForum's leading troll actually liked Santoro. Happily this is far from the case. :lol:

Anyway to answer the question, obviously there is no one on the WTA tour who can do what Fabrice does. Santoro's tennis is unique and very special indeed. No one has his reactions, improvisational skills and shear audacity to hit shots other players couldn't dream of. In truth there is not a player in the game I respect more and enjoy watching more. He is greatest personified.

That said, there are players who have several of Fabrice's attributes. Amelie Mauresmo has some of Fabrice's net skills and flair and panache, Agnieszka Radwanska has some of Fabrice's touch, craftiness, and skill with dropshots and lobs. Patty Schynder has some of the great man's variety and imagination.

And Monica Niculescu like Fabrice uses a great deal of forehand slices although she does hit them one handed. Still many of Monica's non-slice forehands are like Santoro two-handed so there she are some definate similarities in Monica's game to Fabrice's. Infact, it is Monica's game that has the most in common with Fabrice's game.

But of course, Monica has a long way to go before she is anything close to the player Fabrice is, she is still very much in the early stages of her career and players like Fabrice and Monica, whose games are so different from their peers take much longer to develop than do most players.

Let's not forget that while Fabrice had a lot of success even as a teenager, it wasn't until Fabrice got into his mid-twenties that he truly became the magician he is now. In the early days he was simply a great retriever who used his slice defensively to stay in points. Most of Fabrice's early success came on clay. It was Fabrice's decision to start playing much more doubles in his mid twenties, as well as his father's encouragement to just enjoy playing and take risks and use his tennis to express himself that changed his game to the more daredevil unothodox creative game that we have witnessed for the last 10+ years.

Monica, quite wisely, has much earlier in her career chosen to put a lot of emphasis on doubles for her development as a player. And she has already proven to be very adapt as a doubles player. Already she is on the verge of the top 30 in doubles despite not having a regular partner and often playing with scratch partners who are ranked substantially below her. It will take some time but I am confident this will eventually make a huge difference in her singles game and enable her to become a far more attacking player.

This will be very important for her. Because like Fabrice the one thing she does not posess is huge groundies which can allow her to blast winners at will from the baseline. Like Fabrice, Monica is adept at drawing errors from her opponents by baffling them with odd varieties of spin and pace but to be top 30 or even top 20 she will need to do more than this. And as Monica isn't able to get loads of winners from the baseline she will need to continue to develop her ability to attack the net and finish points off there. This is something I have seen her work on when I watch her play on grass and I do see her being very successful in the forecourt as her career progresses. But it will take time.

When I watch Monica, I see a rough diamond. I believe in her but I know it will take a few more years before we get to see the best of Monica. I still don't know if Monica will ever be able to come close to matching the amazing skill Fabrice Santoro has demostrated over the years but I am excited to see what she will be able to do a few years from now.

Matt.
May 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Excellent post. I truly enjoyed reading it.

tea
May 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM
^^^ Amazing quality post above.

On my opinion, Patty and Martina. Though their styles of play are pretty much different, the magic is exactly the word to describe. Also I don't think there's an equal analogue of Santoro in womens tennis, in any tennis.

The Dawntreader
May 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Niculescu has greater potential to me, to be more aggressive, especially on faster surfaces. At times she can flatten out her backhand to great effect, and it gives her options to close the point at the net or to finish with a deciding groundstroke. However i'm sure at this relatively formative stage in her career, she still doesn't know her game that intimately yet. I still see a lot of indecision in her matches at times.

Her shots are so entertaining though. Uber-unorthodox and her anticipatory skills are extremely promising. Her ability to hit drop-shots from about 4ft behind the baseline is a rare ability. Her match against Jankovic at RG, for the first set atleast, was the most out-of position i've seen the Serb up until that point for a long time.

It'll be interesting to follow her career.

FrenchY52
May 18th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Some that may fit the role

Bartoli - very angle based 2 hands
Niculescu and Voracova - hit a variety of shots

Lol

wally1
May 18th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Roby Vinci on one of her infrequent good days has some nice variety to her game, but not in the Santoro class.

Ferg
May 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
eeeeek at the thread starter trying to label bartoli anything other than a ball basher, thats as delusional as it gets lol

:drool: Mm,mm,mm, at least 'ballbashing' is getting her wins this year. Chaky is still on what, 8 wins this year?

To answer the OP, Niculescu.

The Dawntreader
May 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Roby Vinci on one of her infrequent good days has some nice variety to her game, but not in the Santoro class.

Vinci just plays to her strengths. She doesn't try anything overly imaginative.

partbrit
May 18th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I agree: Hingis. Then Patty. Then Radwanska. But for me--mostly Patty.

CloudAtlas
May 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I would worry if TennisForum's leading troll actually liked Santoro. Happily this is far from the case. :lol:

Anyway to answer the question, obviously there is no one on the WTA tour who can do what Fabrice does. Santoro's tennis is unique and very special indeed. No one has his reactions, improvisational skills and shear audacity to hit shots other players couldn't dream of. In truth there is not a player in the game I respect more and enjoy watching more. He is greatest personified.

That said, there are players who have several of Fabrice's attributes. Amelie Mauresmo has some of Fabrice's net skills and flair and panache, Agnieszka Radwanska has some of Fabrice's touch, craftiness, and skill with dropshots and lobs. Patty Schynder has some of the great man's variety and imagination.

And Monica Niculescu like Fabrice uses a great deal of forehand slices although she does hit them one handed. Still many of Monica's non-slice forehands are like Santoro two-handed so there she are some definate similarities in Monica's game to Fabrice's. Infact, it is Monica's game that has the most in common with Fabrice's game.

But of course, Monica has a long way to go before she is anything close to the player Fabrice is, she is still very much in the early stages of her career and players like Fabrice and Monica, whose games are so different from their peers take much longer to develop than do most players.

Let's not forget that while Fabrice had a lot of success even as a teenager, it wasn't until Fabrice got into his mid-twenties that he truly became the magician he is now. In the early days he was simply a great retriever who used his slice defensively to stay in points. Most of Fabrice's early success came on clay. It was Fabrice's decision to start playing much more doubles in his mid twenties, as well as his father's encouragement to just enjoy playing and take risks and use his tennis to express himself that changed his game to the more daredevil unothodox creative game that we have witnessed for the last 10+ years.

Monica, quite wisely, has much earlier in her career chosen to put a lot of emphasis on doubles for her development as a player. And she has already proven to be very adapt as a doubles player. Already she is on the verge of the top 30 in doubles despite not having a regular partner and often playing with scratch partners who are ranked substantially below her. It will take some time but I am confident this will eventually make a huge difference in her singles game and enable her to become a far more attacking player.

This will be very important for her. Because like Fabrice the one thing she does not posess is huge groundies which can allow her to blast winners at will from the baseline. Like Fabrice, Monica is adept at drawing errors from her opponents by baffling them with odd varieties of spin and pace but to be top 30 or even top 20 she will need to do more than this. And as Monica isn't able to get loads of winners from the baseline she will need to continue to develop her ability to attack the net and finish points off there. This is something I have seen her work on when I watch her play on grass and I do see her being very successful in the forecourt as her career progresses. But it will take time.

When I watch Monica, I see a rough diamond. I believe in her but I know it will take a few more years before we get to see the best of Monica. I still don't know if Monica will ever be able to come close to matching the amazing skill Fabrice Santoro has demostrated over the years but I am excited to see what she will be able to do a few years from now.

+1

Drake1980
May 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Aga or Mauresmo!

SIN DIOS NI LEY
May 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM
One GS Quarters in 67 attempts
428 career defeats (all time record)

MAGIA :worship:

Alex03Maccy
May 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM
momo

Spartan
May 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Of active players i'd say Patty (unless she's having a :silly: day)
with honorable mention to Niculescu and Mauresmo.

Shvedbarilescu
May 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Since the ATP rankings were introduced in 1973 only 24 players have achieved a number one ranking. Fabrice Santoro has wins against SEVENTEEN of them. :rocker:

Jimmy Connors
Mats Wilander
Stefan Edberg
Boris Becker
Jim Courier
Pete Sampras (three times :dance:)
Andre Agassi (three times :eek:)
Thomas Muster (four times :bounce:)
Marcelo Rios
Carlos Moya (three times :rocker:)
Pat Rafter
Marat Safin (seven, yes seven, times :woohoo:)
Gustavo Kuerten
Lleyton Hewitt (two times :))
Juan Carlos Ferrero (two times :))
Andy Roddick
Roger Federer (two times :))

Sure Fabrice has lost more matches than anyone else in tennis but that is simply because he has played more tournaments than practically anyone else. Fabrice's longevity is legendary. He is now 36 years old and he is STILL in the top 50. He is the oldest top 50 player since Jimmy Connors. And he has done it by playing a totally unique as well as a physically highly demanding style of play. Quite simply the guy is extraordinary.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :boxing:

Ryan
May 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Such a troll; you should be commended for your ridiculousness. :worship:

ChrisCHorse - TrollPwnage King. :worship:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
May 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Such a troll; you should be commended for your ridiculousness. :worship:

A tennis player who hits weak two handed forehand shots at 50-60 km/h with an ugly technique doesn´t deserve to be called a magicien

Deluded tennis fans who think Santoro is a magic player because of his ridiculous style don´t have any idea about tennis, plain and simple

A real wizard is Gaudio , he has done the most ridiculous shots I have seen on a tennis court. I guess he is not a wizard cos he plays a proper tennis unlike Santoro , the personification of how tennis should not be played

Shvedbarilescu
May 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
A tennis player who hits weak two handed forehand shots at 50-60 km/h with an ugly technique doesn´t deserve to be called a magicien

Deluded tennis fans who think Santoro is a magic player because of his ridiculous style don´t have any idea about tennis, plain and simple

A real wizard is Gaudio , he has done the most ridiculous shots I have seen on a tennis court. I guess he is not a wizard cos he plays a proper tennis unlike Santoro , the personification of how tennis should not be played

I don't want to criticise Gaudio. He was very nice player with lovely backhand. For about five years he was an outstanding clay court player although it must be added he has a sub .500 record on every other surface. But you attack Santoro for only getting to one Slam quarterfinal and guess what? Gaston Gaudio only reached the quarterfinals of one slam as well. :shrug:

Slutiana
May 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Tatiana Golovin. She can do anything except stay injury free. Anything.

Nikkiri
May 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Tatiana Golovin. She can do anything except stay injury free. Anything.

:rolls:

Slutiana
May 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
gk8eDWOaVHY

yes she can hit a backhand. :tears:

Six Feet Under
May 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah, i probably shouldn't have put marion on the list, only cause she plays with 2 hands.

Slutiana
May 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
put Tati there. :nod:

Alexj
May 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I would say Patty or Aga but after seeing Monica live at Indian Wells, I definitely think she has the most potential. I love her style.

Corswandt
May 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Who do you think would fit this role.
Are any of the girls Santoroesque.

Who do you think, if anyone, could be called the magician of women's tennis?

Romina Oprandi. No contest.

Niculescu is a hackballer who only hits that pathetic slice FH because she can't hit a proper drive FH.

Santoro is good in small doses.

wateva
May 19th, 2009, 02:32 AM
loit?
i remember her giving serena fits in AO 03!