PDA

View Full Version : Why dont we have a longer grass court season?

pollison
May 18th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I know this issue has been raised before but it makes me angry that a GS only get two weeks of tournaments on its surface before it starts.

A longer grass court season would allow for a higher standard of play(lets be honest so many top 50 players have no clue on grass)which would create a better competition at Wimby and also a chance for the public to watch grass tennis(I dunno about you but most Australians LOVE grass tennis and aside from the AO, Wimby is their fav tourney. For the BIGGEST tournament in the world to get only two weeks lead in before it begins is just silly!

How come the US gets Indian Wells and Miami, two of the biggest tournaments back to back in part of the season that is not near a GS. Then following they get a US open even gets a 'US open series' whilst the FO gets huge tournaments such as Rome and Madrid. before it starts

The AO doesnt have a PREMIER tournament but it atleast has Sydney which always attracts the biggest stars. Why cant the FO been moved forward even a week to allow for a PREMIER or atleast top tournament on grass before Wimby. Birmingham has attracted stars in the past but a PREMIER tourney IMO is deserved between the FO and Wimby. Most likely drop Indian Wells as a 'Premier'

I was wondering if the FO coincides with a French holiday or something and therefore cant be moved. A lot of players want the AO moved but it would be a disater because it perfectly coincides with the Australian holidays which allows for the GINORMOUS crowds

southern star
May 18th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I've thought about this before. My guess would be is that grass is just not that popular a surface any more, and most players would prefer to get the grass season over with.

Direwolf
May 18th, 2009, 03:00 AM
To prevent Venus from getting that number 1 faster
conspiracy i say!!

Williamsser
May 18th, 2009, 03:03 AM
too expensive to maintain

pollison
May 18th, 2009, 03:05 AM
too expensive to maintain

Thats a reason i thought of....but its not like GB is shy of money. Didnt that pay ridiculos amounts of money in setting up coaching and getting Brad Gilbert to coach murray.

Andy.
May 18th, 2009, 03:20 AM
We should have a much longer greass season. The women play their best tennis on grass well at least the top girls do.

hdfb
May 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Er the Australian Open only has 2 weeks of warm ups preceding it too. I find that even more ridiculous since it's the very start of the season.

HotSpot
May 18th, 2009, 04:38 AM
To prevent Venus from getting that number 1 faster
conspiracy i say!!
:sad::sad::sad::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lord Choc Ice
May 18th, 2009, 04:43 AM
They should totally shorten the hard-court season after the Australian Open. There's no point in that really, since the hard-court major has been and gone. Then they should adjust the clay and grass season to make them more even.

Grass rules! I love watching tennis on grass. A lot of the women use slice and other techniques that you don't know they're capable of during the hard and clay season.

Inger67
May 18th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I was going to say because they didn't want Venus to win them every year :) ;)

HOS
May 18th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I agree........no reason why either the Champs couldn't be played a week later and the clay events (that week) after it could be incorporated as a grass season alternative or go against LA and or Cincy. Or French could be a week earlier (the whole calender could be a week earlier for aruguments sake from Indian Weels a week earlier, move MOnterry around - won;t go into detail) the thing is it could easily be done

1 eg coudl be

Week 1 French open
Week 2 French Open
Week 3 Ordina Open & Bastaad
Week 4 Eastbourne & Budapest
Week 5 Birmingham
Week 6 Wimbeldon
Week 7 Wimbeldon

Mackep83
May 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Cause there are not so many countries that have grass courts? I dont think sweden have a single grass court...

When AO had grass courts, did the previous tournament had that too??

pollison
May 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Cause there are not so many countries that have grass courts? I dont think sweden have a single grass court...

When AO had grass courts, did the previous tournament had that too??

Yeah they were on grass.

Its a shame that there is no grasscourts in Sweeden there are a fair few in Australia....there are 3 grass of 10 courts at my local club

FormerlyKnownAs
May 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Wouldn't "longer grass" make the court slow. :devil:

Mackep83
May 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah they were on grass.

Its a shame that there is no grasscourts in Sweeden there are a fair few in Australia....there are 3 grass of 10 courts at my local club

Afer some research I found out that we have 2 grasscourts, LOL, but thats not much...

TennisViewer531
May 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
It's difficult to maintain grass courts. I'm assuming that any of the G7 nations can afford having grass court tournaments...

TheBoiledEgg
May 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
blame the Aussies and the Americans for that
they got rid of their grass slams

tennisvideos
May 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
It's a crying shame really that there isn't a longer grass court season. In effect, since grass court tennis was essentially wiped out on masse in the late 70s Wimbledon has turned into a novelty event rather than a true championship as there are only a handful of grass court tournaments left in the world - the surface is almost as dead as the dodo. And yet it is beautiful to watch the game on grass. It's one of the few surfaces where slice can be a weapon and the S&V game rewarded.

Hopefully one day a few more of the grass court tournaments can be resurrected and the season extended - even if just for another week or two leading into Wimbledon. It would be great to have a Tier 1 or Masters Cup grass court event as a lead up.

Harvs
May 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
its the same with plexicusion...

AdeyC
May 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
It's difficult to maintain grass courts. I'm assuming that any of the G7 nations can afford having grass court tournaments...

and the Dutch

Kipling
May 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Until 1975, 3 of the 4 majors were played on grass. As well as a number of the lead-up tournaments. Wouldn't mind seeing the AO go back to grass courts, as that surface is part and parcel of the Aussie tennis heritage. Hard courts down there are really out of character.

As for Wimbledon, the thing is, unless you move the French up earlier or Wimbledon back later, there is only so much space on the calendar for supporting tournaments.

bobbynorwich
May 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
They should totally shorten the hard-court season after the Australian Open. There's no point in that really, since the hard-court major has been and gone. Then they should adjust the clay and grass season to make them more even.

Grass rules! I love watching tennis on grass. A lot of the women use slice and other techniques that you don't know they're capable of during the hard and clay season.

Yes the sequence of hard court events after the AO and so few warm-up grass events before Wimbly makes no sense. My guess is the tourneys' dates have little flexibility due to their own scheduling constraints such as holidays, competing events in the same locale, staffing, weather, etc.

The players probably don't want a longer grass season, rather than money to maintain grass courts as the reason, which is unfortunate. If the players had more practice on grass, they might like it more.

TheBoiledEgg
May 18th, 2009, 12:27 PM
French Open doesnt wanna move
Wimbledon wont budge either.

two old farts who wont move......... you know what old farts who are stuck in their ways are like.

Kipling
May 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think that, as much as anything, what really killed off grass court tennis, apart from Wimbledon and the few lead-ins that are left, is that the game outgrew it. Wimbledon had to slow the grass down to keep it playable. Grass court tennis was excellent in the days of wooden racquets. After that, not so much.

StephenUK
May 18th, 2009, 03:37 PM
It was mooted a few years ago that Wimbledon would move but the idea was dropped without any real explanation.

The basic reason is that Roland Garros and Wimbledon are such big events that they are bigger than the normal tennis calendar and are competing with other sporting events in terms of TV coverage etc. As such, moving their place in the calendar probably has to be agreed with other sports too.

Here in the UK, for such a snobby place, it also has a place in the 'social season' and must not clash with events like Royal Ascot or Cowes Week or wherever the ladies in hats are bidden before and after Wimbledon. These people have for more influence with the AELTC than the tennis fans, that is sure! I imagine it is not too different in Paris, as presumably Catherine Deneuve et al will be in Cannes or St Tropez if they move it a week!

Slutiana
May 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Er the Australian Open only has 2 weeks of warm ups preceding it too. I find that even more ridiculous since it's the very start of the season.
Yeah but there are a million hard court tournies in the year.

I think maybe they should move one of the grass warmups to outside of the UK and add in a BIG UK mixed grass tournament in the middle of the two warmup events, I was just thinking about this yesterday as well. I mean with the big blocks of international tournaments after wimbledon and the USO, it should be pretty easy to do.

TennisViewer531
May 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
and the Dutch

right! :) thanks for adding

Weemee
May 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Oooo, that would be ace! *dreams!*

Direwolf
May 18th, 2009, 05:34 PM
who say that maitaining grass is expensive??

we have a court near our house
thats 60%clay 40% grass

i bet if no one plays there for 2 weeks
it would be 100% tall grass!!

wally1
May 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Two main problems:-

There's only 2 weeks between FO and Wim, so one would have to move. I'm sure I read an interview a while back with the president of the All England club who said they had no particular problem with moving date, but that would then affect the rest of the calendar and the hard court tournies in the states.

Where would you hold the tournament(s)? You couldn't really hold any more in the UK as it would be overkill, and there's not many grass courts in Europe.

Other option would be to convert the AO back to grass, but that isn't going to happen.

manga
May 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM
It was mooted a few years ago that Wimbledon would move but the idea was dropped without any real explanation.

The basic reason is that Roland Garros and Wimbledon are such big events that they are bigger than the normal tennis calendar and are competing with other sporting events in terms of TV coverage etc. As such, moving their place in the calendar probably has to be agreed with other sports too.

Here in the UK, for such a snobby place, it also has a place in the 'social season' and must not clash with events like Royal Ascot or Cowes Week or wherever the ladies in hats are bidden before and after Wimbledon. These people have for more influence with the AELTC than the tennis fans, that is sure! I imagine it is not too different in Paris, as presumably Catherine Deneuve et al will be in Cannes or St Tropez if they move it a week!

surprise surprise...the British are snobs. They need to get over it, wimbledon is the biggest social event of the calendar. They should put it where it would most benefit the tour

madlove
May 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM
grass is difficult to maintain... simple as that.

TheBoiledEgg
May 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
all you need is sheep
hold Wimbledon in Wales, or bring some over.

crazillo
May 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
There's just not enough grass court venues to host tournaments I think.

ruanz3
May 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Queens should become a MS event and they should have have many more grass court events.

Keegan
May 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I think to make Wimbledon more prestigious, they don't want a Premier 5 or Premier Mandatory tournament hogging the limelight.

mboyle
May 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Grass courts are really expensive to build and maintain. Also, the weather conditions have to be just right. Few places in the world can successfully maintain them.

Direwolf
May 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
some grass court tournaments doesnt have to be
during the Grasscourt season!!

Venus played on Clay before Indian Wells..!!

so...
why dont they put some
grass court with the hard courts
after the Australian Open!!
an International tournament would be fine...

it will attract lots of players i bet

TheBoiledEgg
May 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM
have some WTA events in Australia & NZ on grass in Nov and Dec

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
If we do, then the WS will have more titles , and as we all know, that would be a blasphemy.

Uranium
May 20th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I think it's sad that tennis has gone from being predominantly grass courts to now grass courts being pretty much the rarest surface:lol:

perseus2006
May 20th, 2009, 10:47 PM
The Case Against Longer Grass:

1. Players' Shoes and the hems of their dresses would be irreparably stained by it.

2. Short players would be disadvantaged because they couldn't see over it.

3. Matches would be delayed trying to find the balls in it.

4. Marat Safin would seduce the young up-and-comers on it.

5. Linesmen wouldn't be able to see where the balls landed through it.

6. Supervision would have to be dramatically increased to get the grounds crew to lay it green side up.

LightWarrior
May 21st, 2009, 12:41 AM
Who cares. Venus the queen of grass doesn't need to play warmup grass court events.
It's just the calendar with RG in june and Wimbledon is July and it has always been the same for a century. Deal with it.

safinafan2
May 21st, 2009, 01:06 AM
The problem is money and maintenance. it's easier to pour a slab of concrete and paint lines.

pollison
May 21st, 2009, 04:38 AM
Who cares. Venus the queen of grass doesn't need to play warmup grass court events.
It's just the calendar with RG in june and Wimbledon is July and it has always been the same for a century. Deal with it.

I care cause i like watching grass tennis...its fun. I also want a longer grass season because it would only add to the competition at Wimbledon, I still think Venus would win but it would only improve the tennis

Sexysova
May 21st, 2009, 05:12 AM
it would be definitely great to have a longer grass-court season :)

ArturoAce.
May 21st, 2009, 05:19 AM
oh how tammy would be so much higher in the ranks :hearts:

but no... :sad:

i wish there could be more.