PDA

View Full Version : Does Serena Williams have a better Backhand or Forehand ?

Mina Vagante
May 17th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Following a discussion I had with another poster on here, we couldnt come to a mutral decision as to whether her backhand or forehand is better.

What do you think ?

Dominic
May 17th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Forehand, more power, more winners.

volta
May 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
overall better bh imo but her forehand return of serve can be freaking scary, look at what she was doing to ivanovic's serves in dubai :scared:

LightWarrior
May 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Depends on what you mean by "better". She makes more winners with her forehand but her backhand is more steady. When the going gets tough she starts making errors with her forehand. Nothing new here, like most 2 handed backhand players. Just ask Davenport. The same.

Mina Vagante
May 18th, 2009, 12:01 AM
overall better bh imo but her forehand return of serve can be freaking scary, look at what she was doing to ivanovic's serves in dubai :scared:

They made me crap my panties. :tape:

Pops Maellard
May 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I like her forehand better, but I guess that doesn't answer the question. I don't think her and Venus' backhands are particularly "nice looking". :D

Dunlop1
May 18th, 2009, 12:14 AM
player's forum?

youizahoe
May 18th, 2009, 12:14 AM
player's forum?

No.

youizahoe
May 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Backhand is more stable, but the forehand hits more spectacular shots :)

Renalicious
May 18th, 2009, 12:19 AM
player's forum?

No. :confused:

Backhand is more stable, but the forehand hits more spectacular shots :)

I agree. ;)

LightWarrior
May 18th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I like her forehand better, but I guess that doesn't answer the question. I don't think her and Venus' backhands are particularly "nice looking". :D

I'm sorry but but why do you compare Venus and Serena here ? Serena's way of playing is way more classic whereas Venus is all over the place. Serena's serve movement is the best and is being taught in tennis schools. Venus's is not. Just like McEnroe.

LudwigDvorak
May 18th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I've always felt her backhand is her best shot. Her forehand technique is SO ugly I hate even watching it. It will come up with flashy winners, but so does her backhand. Her best approaches to net are off the backhand, has more depth/width on it, and when she was younger that backhand was almost without a doubt the best shot in the game.

I know Venus is not part of this discussion, but I will briefly mention that I've preferred Venus' forehand to her backhand for quite some time. Now that side is very under appreciated, I feel.

Both, however, have issues on both sides depending on the day/their overall quality of play. It's a crapshoot as to which side is better on the day, but with Serena, I think her backhand is consistently better.

dynamoRockstarr
May 18th, 2009, 12:55 AM
nothingfails999 u really had 2 crap on Venus' serve? we are talking Serena's backhand and forehand - which is better. thats it.

where do you get serve from a topic about fhs and bhs???

@danieln1
May 18th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Backhand is more solid and consistent... forehand is more powerful, but shaky at some times!

So the edge goes to the backhand!

Pops Maellard
May 18th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Serena herself actually considers the backhand her signature shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9uuA03hi8

Then again, Venus' signature shot is supposed to be the return of serve which Serena's much better at. :confused:

RebelPrince
May 18th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Both are lethal but FH slightly more if she is playing her best. And when she is at her best both strokes have a smooth production, power from the legs, awesome rotation and follow through creating imense weight of shot and pace.

It should be noted she hits winners on either wing: down the line, inside out and cross court.

NeeemZ
May 18th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I think her forehand is better in terms of more winners, more power and when it's on, it is scary. But it is incredibly inconsistent at important stages of matches and just looks horrible.

Her backhand is more reliable although it's not her stronger side, it is more consistant. So, I would say her backhand.

le bon vivant
May 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I've always felt her backhand is her best shot. Her forehand technique is SO ugly I hate even watching it. It will come up with flashy winners, but so does her backhand. Her best approaches to net are off the backhand, has more depth/width on it, and when she was younger that backhand was almost without a doubt the best shot in the game.

I know Venus is not part of this discussion, but I will briefly mention that I've preferred Venus' forehand to her backhand for quite some time. Now that side is very under appreciated, I feel.

Both, however, have issues on both sides depending on the day/their overall quality of play. It's a crapshoot as to which side is better on the day, but with Serena, I think her backhand is consistently better.How the hell is Serena's forehand technique ugly? :confused: and then you prefer Venus' ugly praying mantis forehand? :lol:

skanky~skanketta
May 18th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Forehand is better cuz it can be depended on at clutch moments.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 18th, 2009, 04:02 AM
How the hell is Serena's forehand technique ugly? :confused: and then you prefer Venus' ugly praying mantis forehand? :lol:

*death*

monmonito
May 18th, 2009, 05:18 AM
no hand!!! :lol:

Josh.
May 18th, 2009, 05:57 AM
player's forum?

Completly agree.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 18th, 2009, 06:33 AM
How the hell is Serena's forehand technique ugly? :confused: and then you prefer Venus' ugly praying mantis forehand? :lol:

puh-reach

Body Language ~
May 18th, 2009, 06:49 AM
praying mantis forehand, *dead* for real.

Serena's forehand scares me when its on. Whenever a player hits to her forehand when shes playing well, I'm like.. END. But her backhand is more steady as all of you have said.

bandabou
May 18th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Forehand..when her forehand's on, she's unbeatable.

It's her forehand that makes her tough to beat. Forehand is her clutch side. Witness the forehand return winner she hit against Maria at the ' 05 oz open, at mp!

nevetssllim
May 18th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I remember watching a clip on youtube and Serena considers her backhand as her signature shot and I think my favourite Serena shot is her cross-court backhand, just because of the angles she can create but having said that, some of her forehand winners when returning serve are breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWy_0HWU8R8

At 19-seconds :hearts:

Sam L
May 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM
The Forehand. If you think back to Serena Slam it was the forehand that she used as a major weapon.

Lucemferre
May 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Both, however, have issues on both sides depending on the day/their overall quality of play. It's a crapshoot as to which side is better on the day, but with Serena, I think her backhand is consistently better.

:weirdo:

Lucemferre
May 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Forehand.

She is great from both wings unlike someone like Dementieva whose backhand technique is SO disgustingly hideous I barf even watching it.

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 20th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Serena's backhand is spectacular, probably the best and most effective backhand since Seles.

Her FH is scary , but not exactly as reliable.

The Dawntreader
May 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
IT's not as obvious as it is with Venus, but Serena's contact point on the forehand can change. I always feel Serena's footwork aids her forehand, and she has to be moving well for her forehand to be consistently firing. Her backhand has more room for improvisation, especially considering she has such early preperation on that side.

Forehand= Greater pace. Lacks consistency.
Backhand= Greater solidity. Lacks imagination of the forehand.

LudwigDvorak
May 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I think her forehand LOOKS ugly, yes, big deal. And that praying mantis forehand is delicious. :drool:

starin
May 20th, 2009, 11:17 PM
i was surprised Serena's signature shot was her backhand :confused:
I thought for sure it would be her serve. And Venus' shouldn't be the return it should be her movement even though it's not a shot it's her best asset on court or her backhand. At least they got JJ and Vaidisova right.

hingisGOAT
May 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ridiculous poll results, Serena's backhand is worse than Venus', Hingis', and not any better than Sharapova, Davenport, Henin, Jankovic -- basically all her rivals can match her backhand :shrug:

However very few can match her forehand, as Hingis once said you would have to be stupid to hit to her forehand. So the majority of forum members here are stupid, maybe the poll results aren't so ridiculous after all ;)

Andy.
May 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
Ridiculous poll results, Serena's backhand is worse than Venus', Hingis', and not any better than Sharapova, Davenport, Henin, Jankovic -- basically all her rivals can match her backhand :shrug:

However very few can match her forehand, as Hingis once said you would have to be stupid to hit to her forehand. So the majority of forum members here are stupid, maybe the poll results aren't so ridiculous after all ;)
Maybe back in the day it was a really deadly shot but its a shadow of what it once was. Serena hits with less pace and is more inconsistant with her forehand than say 6 or 7 years ago.

hingisGOAT
May 21st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Maybe back in the day it was a really deadly shot but its a shadow of what it once was. Serena hits with less pace and is more inconsistant with her forehand than say 6 or 7 years ago.

I can agree with this, but if Serena is having a "good" or "great" day, her forehand is by far her best shot. And it's these "good" and "great" days that win her Slams...

Dominic
May 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM
I can agree with this, but if Serena is having a "good" or "great" day, her forehand is by far her best shot. And it's these "good" and "great" days that win her Slams...

:worship:

SV_Fan
May 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM
I have always loved the way Venus' groundies looked.

But to answer the question I prefer ree's backhand though her forehand return is sick. I remember AO 2007 those returns :drool:

But back in the day serena was the queen of the inside out backhand. I wish her and vee would use it more often.

SV_Fan
May 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZslPEreUWE

watch the backhand return at 2:07 then the huge forehand that follows it.

:eek:

TennisViewer531
May 21st, 2009, 01:41 AM
Forehand. Backhand's a little weak.

starin
May 21st, 2009, 01:41 AM

watch the backhand return at 2:07 then the huge forehand that follows it.

:eek:

my favorite match of the year so far.
Just absolute power tennis. Big serves and even bigger returns. :drool:

Galsen
May 21st, 2009, 02:01 AM
FOREHAND 8min36:unsure::scared::scared::scared:
BACKHAND 8min42 to 8 min 46:bolt::scared:
FOREHAND 8min 56:timebomb::scared::bowdown:

Lulu.
May 21st, 2009, 02:02 AM
Forehand.

supergrunt
May 21st, 2009, 02:03 AM

I think your hate blinds your judgment :lol:. This much hate is not healthy :haha: .

Andy.
May 21st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Very true

delicatecutter
May 21st, 2009, 02:58 AM
Forehand, for sure. I know my beloved disagrees with me, but he also think that Venus has a great FH. :help: I must admit I also get a kick out of Venus' forehand, just for the wild errors. Hilarity in motion.

supergrunt
May 21st, 2009, 03:58 AM
Forehand, for sure. I know my beloved disagrees with me, but he also think that Venus has a great FH. :help: I must admit I also get a kick out of Venus' forehand, just for the wild errors. Hilarity in motion.

Venus's forehand has become way better than her backhand :(

volta
May 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM

ditto :lick: :drool:

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM

I totally agree! Such a good match. Some of Serena's returns and forehands were sick!

Ana played really well too.

Beny
May 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Serena's BH is not good at all

FH ;)

Lucemferre
May 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Serena's BH is not good at all

FH ;)

It's much better than Dementieva's :devil:

SAEKeithSerena
May 21st, 2009, 12:41 PM
better forehand, but it lets her down more often.

_Cell-chuk
May 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
At the beginning of her career when she won the 99US Open, her forehand used to be her best shot. Nowadays, though still possessing a winning forehand, her backhand is a much more solid shot. She can change the rally with her backhand without making too many UE and she can also hit tons of winners off the backhand.

So I say her backhand is better and forehand very close to it.

Didn't she also once say that she rates her forehand as one of the best in the history along with Steffi's? :shrug: